Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The Netflix Effect': Why Western Women are heading to South Korea in search of love

Talk about being naive...

[quote]The women Lee interviewed were fascinated with Korean men who were portrayed on TV as being in touch with their emotions and willing to embrace their "effeminate sides," Lee said.

[quote]They considered Korean men cultured and romantic while complaining that men in their home countries often neglected their appearances and had one-track minds.

[quote]Grace Thornton, a 25-year-old gardener from the United Kingdom, traveled to Seoul in 2021 after watching K-drama "Crash Landing on You" on Netflix.

[quote]She was struck by how men in the show did not jeer at or catcall women on the street, as happens in her home country.

[quote]In her eyes, Korean men are "gentlemen, polite, charming, romantic, fairytale-like, chivalrous, respectful." She said it also helps that Korean men dress well and groom themselves.

[quote]"(English men in comparison) are half drunk, holding a beer, holding a dead fish," she said -- a reference to what she said was the prevalence of fishing pictures in British male dating app profiles.

[quote]And the appeal is not entirely about the men.

[quote]As Thornton puts it: "In England, I'm very common looking and sound the same as everyone else. In Korea, I'm different, exciting and foreign. People pay attention to me. I felt special."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2022 6:24 AM

[quote]Unfortunately, some women find after their arrival that the men they encounter are not as perfect as the ones portrayed on their screens.

[quote]Mina, a 20-year-old student from Morocco, said K-pop and Korean TV shows influenced her decision to come to the southern city of Busan in 2021.

[quote]The men she saw on TV were depicted as "respectful, good looking, rich men who are protective of you," she said.

[quote]But during her nights out, she was groped in a bar and propositioned for sex from strangers on the street. She felt some Korean men tended to believe that foreign women are more open to casual sex than local women.

[quote]"We are temporary pleasure," she said, adding, "Men are men, humans are alike everywhere."

[quote]Since then she has lost her enjoyment of Korean TV shows and no longer wants to date Korean men.

[quote]Quandra Moore, a 27-year-old English teacher from Washington, came to Seoul in 2017 and searched for a partner through dating apps and in nightclubs. But she too was disappointed.

[quote]She encountered racist attitudes -- being rejected by one who told her to "go back to Africa" -- and found many men seemed interested only in sex.

[quote]In her experience, Korean men treated foreign women differently. "Why can't we go to dinner first? It's so crass. They know Korean women won't tolerate it," she said.

[quote]It's a point that Lee, the researcher, echoed, saying that some men felt they could treat foreign women badly with impunity because, as foreigners, they were limited to smaller social circles.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 2:09 PM

Fetishisation, exoticisation, orientalism...

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 2:17 PM

These women must be content with a tiny knob. And that gardener Grace really is a dumb bint.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 2:19 PM

So in other words, they're searching for male lesbians. They don't have to leave the US to find those...

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 2:25 PM

[quote]But during her nights out, she was groped in a bar and propositioned for sex from strangers on the street. [bold]She felt some Korean men tended to believe that foreign women are more open to casual sex than local women.[/bold]

In other words, Korean men were acting from stereotypes...just like those Western women.

Shocking!

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 3:03 PM

Conclusion : young women are essentially stupid.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 4:27 PM

Straight men in their home countries look like shit and only care about sex? Welcome to the world, my dears

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 4:33 PM

R6: not as stupid as the legions of men treating them so badly that they want to leave their home country.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 4:42 PM

As you can see, only foreigners and other dumbasses still have Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 4:45 PM

These are the same types of women that wait outside court rooms for their "idol" or post obsessively on DL about their hatred of Meghan Markle.

You know, you're basic morons.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 5:42 PM

^^^your. Oh dearing myself.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 5:43 PM

[Quote] As Thornton puts it: "In England, I'm very common looking and sound the same as everyone else. In Korea, I'm different, exciting and foreign. People pay attention to me. I felt special."

[Quote] "We are temporary pleasure," she said, adding, "Men are men, humans are alike everywhere."

Well no shit, Sherlock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2022 5:59 AM

My friend used to live in a share house with a couple of other expats. One young black American girl, who was a K drama addict, was living there and going out nearly everyday, looking for her dream Korean oppa...

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2022 6:06 AM

Life isn't like it is in the movies! How shocking!

These kids today...

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2022 6:14 AM

It makes one wonder why US/UK films don't portray a better class of men like these K-dramas do. There is surely a great audience out there.

Despite what their film/tv portrays I've heard South Korea is a very backwards culture when it comes to respecting women. I think these women are more hopeful than stupid. The world can be a cruel place.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2022 6:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!