Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Dutch language

Any DLers speak it or know much about it?

It has an interesting sound. Despite having plenty of words that resemble English, listening to it on its own, there's such a difference. The "hard g", the "rolling r" etc

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2022 10:33 PM

DL will like this guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 9:59 PM

the hard g

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 10:01 PM

can Germans and Dutch understand each other?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 10:02 PM

R1 is hawt!

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 10:03 PM

[quote][R1] is hawt!

Snap out of it

Kim teaches how to swear in Dutch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 10:07 PM

Very melodic sounding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 10:20 PM

R3 I do get a lot of words but only when reading them. When hearing the language I feel rather at a loss. Interestingly, Dutch-speaking people do understand German much better than German-speaking people understand Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 10:21 PM

R6 I need to watch Teletubbies in Dutch again when I'm high, hahahahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2022 10:25 PM

One of the harshest-sounding languages in Europe. There's good reason they send their Eurovision songs in English. They sent one in Dutch this year, but she smartly cleaned up the lyrics of the harshest sounds and included a language-neutral "na-na-na" hook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 10:30 PM

Anne Frank spoke German until she moved to the Netherlands. She wrote and spoke in Dutch while in the secret annex. She made fun of Mrs. Van Daan's harsh German when she was angry.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 10:53 PM

It sounds like Sims speak — like what English probably sounds like to people who don’t speak it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2022 10:57 PM

I like Dutch treat

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2022 10:58 PM

[quote] DL will like this guy

Who is the guy at R1?

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2022 11:00 PM

it's easy enough to learn to "read" and then instantly forget if you don't keep up with it

but also kind of redundant as you find many know English as well...

or Spanish, or French, or German. One of the standard western HS languages.

So, you can fake your way thru converstion to find where the loo is or get a bj

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2022 11:16 PM

I've learned it over the last five years and speak it well enough to converse with my partner's family and friends and do stuff over the phone. (B2/C1 level). If I get stuck people will switch to an English word here or there, but I speak too well now for them to flip to English just because I'm missing a word. But it's nice to be encouraged.

It's sort of like Chaucerian middle english with German word order and English loanwords (but also a lot of false friends). And super fun to swear (any disease + kut/cunt + noun will do in most situations). Weirdly, I find it easier to understand Vlaams with the softer g and slower diction than Amsterdams (the New York of Dutch accents). And forget Limburgs...it's just incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 8:27 PM

Afrikaans is a South African language that's a descendant of Dutch. I believe that Dutch and Afrikaans speakers can understand one another if they speak their respective languages slowly and clearly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 8:50 PM

Dutch is the closest main language to English, both belonging to the West Germanic branch of the linguistic tree. Frisian is the closest minor language to English, both belonging to the Anglo-Frisian sub-branch.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 9:23 PM

[quote] . Frisian is the closest minor language to English, both belonging to the Anglo-Frisian sub-branch.

Frisian has a certain frisson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 9:27 PM

I forgot about Scots! Scots is the closest to English. However, both descend from Middle English, so there are those who don't consider it a separate language.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 9:50 PM

They say that Audrey Hepburn spoke her native language beautifully, like a queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2022 1:28 AM

Best dick in Europe tied with Hungarian.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2022 1:53 AM

R21 how many different Euro dicks have you sampled? Who was the worst?

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2022 2:43 AM

R20, Audrey also spoke French and Italian in a very cultured and impeccably articulate manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2022 5:45 AM

Charlize Theron being interviewd on Belgian TV. She's speaking her native Afrikaans, the interviewer Flemish. They seem to understand one another well enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2022 6:05 AM

The reporter in r24, Ward Verrijcken, died in October 2020. He was apparently well-loved by his public, and by the celebrities he interviewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2022 12:39 PM

[quote]Who was the worst?

Spanish

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2022 5:13 PM

I used to refer to German as "The Spitting Language". ...Until I heard Dutch. That said, I can't wait to see The Netherlands, and hear the natives speak it. I've studied both French and Japanese, and Dutch seems more difficult to learn than both of those.

All that said, tonal languages are usually the most difficult for native English speakers. My Thai friends tried to teach me simple words and phrases in Thai, and it was incredibly frustrating for me (especially since I have a large musical background, and thought that would help).

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2022 5:21 PM

Afrikaans was "kitchen Dutch," a vernacular that arose from the kitchen where Dutch, French, and German settlers and their slaves gathered and communicated through a pidgin dialect that all could understand. It eventually was codified and developed into a full-fledged sister language of Dutch. There is 95% mutual intelligibility between these two languages.

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2022 6:04 PM

It’s not the prettiest - but the men are. I’ll take Dutch over German any day.

by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2022 8:19 PM

she breaks things down well

I like how in the beginning she says "anutter" instead of "another"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2022 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!