Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

Were you elder gays into this song? I was 15 yrs old when I heard it for the first time on a weekend syndicated radio show called “Future Hits” w/ Shadow Stevens in 1988. Lesbian folk music for sure. I was obnoxious (and still am) back then and sang my own nasty version of some of the song’s lyrics.

“Remember when I was fingering. Fingering myself at speeds that felt like I was drunk”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 18, 2022 8:07 PM

I also enjoyed listening to “Similar Features” by Melissa Etheridge that year.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2022 8:54 PM

So talented. I have two of her records. She sued Nicki Garbaj for sampling without permission..

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2022 8:56 PM

It was a great song, and a great album.

I spent a lot of time listening to it during my three weeks in a Virgina jail.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2022 8:58 PM

Her song Bang Bang Bang is a fave from 1992. I hate her song “Give me one reason” though.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2022 8:59 PM

This came out as I was graduating from college and I know I first heard it on WXXP radio in Pittsburgh. At first, I thought it was a man singing, and even seeing the video the first time I wasn’t sure. But then when I realized she was a woman, it was also apparent that she was a lesbian. I really loved the melancholy aspect of her music, and Fastcar is iconic, but I think Smoke and Ashes is her masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2022 9:07 PM

Remember when I was dryin’ at the salon….

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2022 9:43 PM

I always thought she was British.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2022 10:15 PM

I like her intentions but her voice makes me want to commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2022 10:36 PM

This entire album is great, with touches of brilliance, like Talkin’ About a Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 10:41 PM

Forgot to add the link...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 10:44 PM

Great.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2022 10:47 PM

Black Pumas did a cover I really like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2022 10:53 PM

she's still technically in the closet, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2022 11:06 PM

fav:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2022 11:09 PM

She's a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2022 11:09 PM

That was a joke

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2022 11:10 PM

Whoops. I meant to sign R16 as R15

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2022 11:14 PM

God, this song makes me so incredibly depressed. The youthful freedom juxtaposed and destroyed by hopeless, inescapable poverty. It's such a painful song.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2022 11:20 PM

Hilarious In Living Color parody of Chapman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2022 11:21 PM

I personally thought that Baby Can I Hold You was far better (or just as good!) It was a perfect song for House Of Gucci-

To me (I was only 10 or so when she had this "time") she is basically a one hit wonder. But one with a good and solid talent.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2022 11:25 PM

Gay here and I love Tracy. Every song on this album is good.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2022 11:51 PM

I’ve never understood her. Abandoned any hope of a career, stopped recording and touring years ago. How does she possibly financially survive? I live in SF and have seen her several times in public over the last 20 years. Painfully shy.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2022 11:58 PM

She was in a relationship with Alice Walker for years. Alice is bisexual, no straight woman could have written The Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 12:11 AM

No words to say, no words to convey, the feeling inside I have for you.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 12:16 AM

Brave trans woman of color, bless her 🙏🏻

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 12:17 AM

oh, that gorgeous guitar playing

just a simple, four chord progression

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 12:23 AM

I am continually baffled by the number of 50+ year old men on DL who think resharing jokes that would have killed in the sixth grade lunchroom is somehow still clever

"I call her SmellyAnne!"

"Jennifer Anus Town!"

"Fingering myself at speeds ...."

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 12:27 AM

This song is as great as any Springsteen Anthem to small town life, dead end streets, hope and hopelessness. Yearning. The lyrics are a novella and the music reads them to your soul. It's propulsive.

It's also urban Mary J and Lauryn Hill and Joni Mitchell too. It takes us forward then drags us back. Which is another way to say that Fast Car is Tracy Chapman's' masterpiece. The music marries the lyrics of the song. It's a work of magic. The lyrics, music and vocal are synergistic and it is unbelievably tender, sad, yearning and FREE. This kind of story song and musical truth comes rarely. I was just a little boy when this song came out, but it inhabits me every time I even think of it. There are many sad songs in this world - Fast Car is a sad song about HOPE. It's moving....literally. It makes you cry, but not surrender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 12:49 AM

R19 I love that shit!

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 12:51 AM

Why do DL queens get hung up on chart hits? Is it lack of knowledge or shallow music tastes that do not let their curiosity or understanding see beyond a top 10 position? I do not understand it but every time it shows profound limitations to one’s listening preferences.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 12:55 AM

R30, I'm drinking Wild Turkey and smoking a Marlboro light, too. RECOIL IN HORROR, OH COOL ONE!

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 12:56 AM

I'd put this in the top 5 American story masterpieces along with Don McLean's American Pie and Bruce's Born to Run.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 12:56 AM

I think it stems from a lifetime of worshiping only artists like Beyoncé and Britney. It has ruined their chances to see light beyond the shit

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 12:58 AM

I agree r32.

I’d also submit Luka by Suzanne Vega

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 12:58 AM

This is a great song as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 12:59 AM

Fast Car Anne Heche's favorite tune

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 12:59 AM

[quote] I think it stems from a lifetime of worshiping only artists like Madonna and Cher. It has ruined their chances to see light beyond the shit

Fixed, because while you are correct R33, this is DL we are talking about and so the above singers are more appropriate, especially if we are using the phrase "lifetime"

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 1:01 AM

It used to make me cry (MARY!) it was clearly about escaping poverty and dead ends in a small town but she was equally obviously a lesbian which gave it an even more solemn depth about what she was running from.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 1:02 AM

Only braindead diva worshippers give so much reverence to charts. The Vadgebot and Janbot use the same damn arguments they copy and paste to every thread. You can't have a deep discussion on music in any of those pop star threads. Notice the threads on singer songwriters Tracy, Alanis, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple and Pat Benetar are more civilized.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 1:03 AM

[quote] I’ve never understood her. Abandoned any hope of a career, stopped recording and touring years ago. How does she possibly financially survive? I live in SF and have seen her several times in public over the last 20 years. Painfully shy.

You may have answered part of your own question. Maybe she found the spotlight too much if she is shy like you say.

I think she invested well. Her first album sold millions of copies. She is very protective of her songwriting, and Fast Car, Give Me One Reason and Baby Can I Hold You have been used in films and commercials. She must get good royalties from them. Fast Car was covered a few years ago and Baby Can I Hold You was covered by Boyzone and was a big hit for them.

Tracy's debut album still resonates.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2022 1:10 AM

I remember when I first heard it. I was sitting in a car on Carmine Street. I went to Tower Records and asked someone at the counter about a guy playing a guitar singing a song probably called Be Someone. Found it a week later. I remember the story that she was discovered by a record executive's son playing on a street in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2022 1:17 AM

Tracy Chapman doesn't need a lot of other artists trying to deliver her songs. But Kelly Clarkson killed this.

Tracy was a bit low key. Kelly puts the rasp, hard drums and some stink on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 1:22 AM

R42 no thx I have no desire to hear that frau cover the only version of Fast Car that I or anyone needs to 👂

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2022 1:26 AM

You can't read R43? It's not Fast Car. And Kelly Clarkson is the best singer in the WHOLE fucking game!

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2022 1:29 AM

Bye r44

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2022 1:29 AM

R42 says KC puts some stink on it?! Lmao! Yeah she shits on a shitty song!

I’m amazed at how dumb things get.

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2022 1:32 AM

r34 we've long been overdue for another Suzanne Vega thread... the youngins need to hear the stories of what a massive cunt she was.

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2022 1:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2022 1:43 AM

That album by TC is in my top ten all-time favorite albums. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2022 1:51 AM

Marvellous cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2022 1:53 AM

The saddest song I’ve ever heard. I don’t really identify with the song… but I easily could have, if my life had been slightly different.

by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2022 1:58 AM

She was considered very edgy in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2022 2:47 AM

Why is someone insisting that some DLers like the song because it charted high?

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2022 3:21 AM

Are you serious R22?

First album has been certified 6 times platinum and the new beginning album has been certified 5x platinum. Another platinum album and a few gold records. She owns her catalog and wrote most of her own songs. I doubt she has to worry about money for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2022 3:29 AM

yeah, I watched the video again for the first time in years because of this thread, still makes me cry.

as an aside, when I was watching it I thought 'well, at least it's not as sad a Johnny Cash covering' Hurt' and the video recommendation when I scrolled down just a bit was... JC Hurt. good algorithm.

by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2022 3:34 AM

R55, and the coup de grace would be "Luka".

by Anonymousreply 56August 14, 2022 9:00 PM

I have always hated that stupid song r56. but yes, it's also definitely depressing

by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2022 9:08 PM

Tracy Chapman probably made enough money off of her first album alone to live comfortably for the rest of her life. Like Natalie Merchant, she lives a pretty quiet, low-key lifestyle. They don't live the big, expensive celebrity lifestyles like Beyonce, Madonna or Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 58August 14, 2022 9:55 PM

I wonder how popular music would have evolved without the media consolidation that occured thanks to the 1996 Telecommunications Bill. Clear Channel bought out most of the radio stations and the format shifted from DJ run programs by music aficionados. To playlist style radio stations with corporations pushing the singers they invested and manufactured.

by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2022 10:01 PM

The first time I heard it I thought she was singing “You gotta fat assed car.”

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2022 12:46 AM

R54: unless she lives completely frugally like Ghandi, those huge sales on a debut album were nearly 35 years ago! How can that money possibly last? Her catalog of albums has been out of print for years so maybe she’s getting big digital sales. I’ve been told that the only way to make a living as a recording artist is via continual live performing which she hasn’t done in 15 years. She must’ve figured out a formula that works for her.

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2022 12:57 AM

She was with Alice Walker who had a lot of money from book sales, teaching, selling the movie rights for The Color Purple and public speakings. Maybe Alice supported her?

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2022 1:08 AM

Where does TC live? Some states you can live very easily on next to nothing.

Heck, even in NYC you can. How does Fran Lebowitz live? All she spends money on is books and cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2022 1:14 AM

r61 she definitely made several million from her first album, and several million more from the other ones. She lives a very low-key lifestyle and probably invested well. She lives a comfortable existence.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2022 1:17 AM

And she still gets royalties. She released a greatest hits album a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2022 1:41 AM

Fran Lebowitz is wealthy. Don't believe her when she claims otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2022 2:59 AM

Details about Suzanne Vega being a cunt, please.

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2022 3:56 AM

I would also like to hear about Suzanne Vega's cuntitude.

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2022 4:14 AM

Details on how Fran Lebowitz became wealthy, please.

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2022 2:50 PM

R68: I can speak to this a little. About 10 or 15 years ago Vega was touring with the singer Duncan Sheik. They each did their own sets and at the end came out together and did a song. After this show they both were doing meet and greets and signing CDs. There were 10 or 15 people lined up at his table to meet him and literally nobody at hers. She looks over at us (I was in the line for him) and said, out loud in a bitchy voice: "Is EVERYONE here tonight to meet Duncan Sheik?". She seemed like someone who I would NOT want to know socially whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2022 5:09 PM

They dudes wanted to fuck Sheik not Chapman

by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2022 6:47 PM

R71: it was actually Suzanne Vega, not Tracy Chapman. But all the gay dudes (including me) wanted Sheik, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2022 6:57 PM

I got weird hair. They tried to fix it with a blow torch.

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2022 8:04 PM

R61 she had 2 multiplatinum albums one other that went platinum and a few gold. She’s wasn’t a dumb kid who blew all her money on drugs, cars and bling. She’s a tufts educated woman who invested well and owns her music. Nicki Minaj wanted to use a part of “baby can I hold you” a few years back, and Chapman said no. She used it anyway and Chapman sued her.

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2022 8:30 PM

I recently read all the lyrics to this song and it made me want to kill myself.

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2022 8:33 PM

Loved this and Give Me a Reason.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2022 8:34 PM

Give me a reason was one song by her I hated.

by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2022 8:40 PM

I’d like to see Tracy and Anne Murray sing a song

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2022 8:43 PM

Give me one reason to eat your pussy and I’ll do it.

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2022 8:46 PM

Of course the dudes wanted to fuck Duncan Sheik, this is how beautiful he looked in his twenties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 17, 2022 8:44 AM

Hey, I've come around on this- and perhaps the lyrics mean the singer HAS broken the cycle. In the beginning of the song, she has to take care of her old man because her mother ran off. At the end of the song, she tells the Fast Car driver to drive away and leave her and his kids. I think that might be a hopeful message, she isn't doing what her mother did and instead telling the hopeless wastrel to leave them so she can fix the next generation without his alcoholic influence.

I never read the actual lyrics, and since there are so few, I think it's an important change in the cycle.

by Anonymousreply 81August 17, 2022 11:30 AM

That’s positive r81

by Anonymousreply 82August 17, 2022 9:49 PM

I love Mountains o’ Things from her debut album.

by Anonymousreply 83August 18, 2022 11:14 AM

[quote] Of course the dudes wanted to fuck Duncan Sheik, this is how beautiful he looked in his twenties.

Even when he was young and pretty I knew he wouldn't age well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2022 3:57 PM

Bravo to looking toward the positive - but a song that ends with lyrics - Ain't got no plans, ain't goin nowhere - is a little too hard to see a positive future

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2022 6:42 PM

Ok, R85, but how about "ain't goin nowhere", as in, she isn't abandoning her children like her mother abandoned her, perhaps in a some guy's fast car with some plan, perhaps..?

I will choose to see it as a positive.

by Anonymousreply 86August 18, 2022 7:07 PM

BECAUSE ... the fast car is an escape. Not real.

It's a dream, that just takes you to another place where the same cycle persists, and not ever going to free you.

Oh shit, I'm not even high.

by Anonymousreply 87August 18, 2022 7:09 PM

Of course the car is metaphoric, but it is also REAL as any vehicle that Springsteen wrote about. Bruce loves that song by Tracy Chapman. Who wouldn't? It's both epic and deeply intimate. It cuts through to the bone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 18, 2022 8:05 PM

Her debut album was just brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 89August 18, 2022 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!