Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

IBS and diverticulosis

I found out today after a colonoscopy on Wednesday that I have IBS and diverticulosis. I’m awaiting some more biopsies since there were polyps found in my stomach and colon. Because of the IBS the doctor says I go on a low FODMAP diet. I work in nutrition, but damn this diet is hard, especially with the diverticulosis factored in.

Has anyone else had to do a low FODMAP a diet or currently doing it? Any suggestions or good websites/books to help out?

This sucks. I’m also in a lot of pain so be nice. And no I’m not giving my stuff away so don’t ask.

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2022 4:57 AM

FODMAP?

(I could Google, but it's your thread and I'm lazy.)

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2022 8:15 PM

Do the FOPMAP diet, it will improve your physical state although the positive effects will take a while to kick in fully.

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2022 8:17 PM

Did you mean diverticulitis? Or is diverticulosis a different thing?

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2022 8:17 PM

How about a big Tin Roof Sundae?

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2022 8:20 PM

OP you should see a good registered dietitian/nutritionist for the FODMAP diet. The diet has limited evidence to support its use for IBS but it’s worth a try. Colonic polyps are also a separate issue and usually removed during colonoscopy as a preventive intervention for colon cancer. Doubt you have “stomach polyps”- you would have had to have endoscopy to diagnose them- and they are very rare in the upper GI track.

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2022 8:24 PM

I'm sending good thoughts and the best wishes to OP while I'm munching on my wheat bread and fruits and will be enjoying my delicious milkshake after that.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2022 8:25 PM

RE diverticulosis, also a separate issue from both polyps and IBS- may be due to a diet very low in dietary fiber.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2022 8:27 PM

That reminds me I am due for a colonoscopy. Now, I don't wanna go because of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2022 8:29 PM

Reading this thread, I'm pretty eager to do my colonoscopy asap.

In fact I'm inserting a camera up my ass as I type.

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2022 8:32 PM

I had to use Google OP. Just hadn't a clue as to what you were speaking of really. There's a lot if graphics pertaining to food substitutes for you and that diet over on Google and all Just please stay patient and keep the faith.

I'm actually not trying to be sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2022 8:33 PM

I have IBS and I had Diverticulosis years ago. I have had polyps and yeah that Low FODMAP diet is really really hard. There are certain foods I'm not supposed to eat, but I have made my piece with it. I get a colonoscopy every two years bcz of the polyps. But day to day, I use Metamucil 3- 4 times a week. I drink a lot of water. Average of 70 ounces a day if I can. And I walk. Being sedentary is really not good for your GI tract especially your colon. Now I no longer eat fried greasy foods. I stopped eating red meat. Just fish and chicken. Only Brwon rice in moderation. Avoid sweets and alcohol. Wine is OK once in a while. Certain kinds of beans are good. Lentils especially, and cannellini beans. eat cooked vegetables but avoid cabbage and asparagus. As for fruit, I can't eat watermelon. I get bloated and sick. But Golden delicious or Granny Smith apples with peanut butter are good. Cantaloupe is good. Blueberries, bananas, good, pears not good. oranges are OK once in a while. Strawberries are a problem if I eat them more than once a week. I can have two or three chunks of Fresh Pineapple once in a while. Now I eat brown rice pasta. As for salads, I eat mixed greens with tomatoes and seedless cukes. Maybe an avocado. Cut back on dairy and cheese. Yogurt is fine, lactose free milk with cereal is OK. No ice cream. Feta Cheese is OK. I stopped drinking coffee every day. I was doing 4-5 cups a day. No more. Now I will probably enjoy a cup of coffee three or four times a month. I drink green t ea. Good luck to you OP.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2022 8:44 PM

Can I have your stuff? You’re clearly not going to commit to the diet so it’s a wrap.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2022 8:48 PM

DiverticulOSIS are the “pockets” in the colon while diverticulITIS is when said pockets become infected causing a lot of problems.

There is a history of colorectal cancer in my family. My paternal grandfather and dad both had had colorectal cancer even though they were diagnosed in their 60s(I’m 39). My doctor jumped on getting the colonoscopy done because of that.

I forgot to mention that I did have an upper endoscopy done also hence finding the polyp in my stomach. Specifically a benign fundic gland polyp.

Regarding the FODMAP diet, it’s pretty much cutting out anything ending in ose(high frustose corn syrup, lactose, sucralose,etc.), gluten, processed meats. I have issues with artificial sweeteners to begin with but I have worked Stevia into my diet and it seems to be a pretty good alternative and low FODMAP, so I’m safe there. Also, no garlic or onion.

Luckily there is a company called Fody foods that are at Publix and Whole Foods as well as their website which have safe foods for me.

Also, if you’re experiencing any GI symptoms or have a family history of colorectal cancer, get it done. It’s a pain to do the prep and you may have to sacrifice some foods, but it’s better than the alternative. I watched my dad suffer for 4 years with that crap. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2022 8:51 PM

I hate thinking about all this. My dad died from colon cancer when he was young and it makes me paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2022 8:59 PM

I also need to do a colonoscopy but am deathly afraid.

I had gallbladder removal surgery about 10 years ago and nothing has worked right since. I believe I may be having an issue where gallstones are still being made despite the organ removal.

I am afraid that if I go to the hospital for this procedure I will never come out.

(And I'm on the fat side, which can complicate things.)

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2022 9:02 PM

Try the FLIPFLOP diet instead

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2022 9:03 PM

Mine is scheduled for early Eptember but I'm going to reschedule it for early October. I do hate the prep. Thanks for the tip about the Fody at WF or Publlix

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2022 9:06 PM

I use the iOS app "Monash University FODMAP diet." Monash University in Australia is where the initial research on FODMAPS was done. I don't know how much of that research has been confirmed elsewhere, but clinicians (at least in the US) recognize FODMAP sensitivity as a medical diagnosis, so presumably there is enough evidence in the research literature for FODMAP sensitivity to have a medical diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2022 9:08 PM

R18, I was reading the Monash University site last night. I haven’t gotten the app yet, but I will.

Again, if anyone is remotely hesitant about getting the colonoscopy. Get it. To quote someone from Michfest. I’m telling you NOW, so I don’t have to tell you THEN. My dad had issues my entire life and it took him losing a significant amount of blood to get checked. By the time of his colonoscopy he was stage IV.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2022 9:19 PM

your colon wouldn't be in such bad shape if you kept all those skanky dix out of there!

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2022 11:07 PM

No burgers, no fries, no bacon, no fried anything, no distilled alcohol, (wine is OK) and exercise and hydrate. Get enough fiber or use a fiber supplement.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2022 11:32 PM

[quote]I’m also in a lot of pain so be nice.

Then perhaps you should've posted this crap to Facebook.

[quote]And no I’m not giving my stuff away so don’t ask.

It probably isn't very good quality anyway. Bits and bobs that Goodwill would reject.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2022 11:49 PM

I developed IBS at age 70 after 2 Covid infections this year. Metamucil, pre and pro biotics, Imodium are holding my gut together.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2022 11:59 PM

stealth scat thread

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2022 12:09 AM

Omg r24 is right. OP is a scat troll. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2022 12:33 AM

I Asked my Doc for some Dicyclomine. It's an anti Spasm medicine I take a pill as needed when I start getting the violent cramps that preceed an episode of IBS-D. I end up taking it about 3-4 times a month.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2022 12:58 AM

OMG, no r25.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2022 1:32 AM

Peppermint can be helpful for IBS and this brand is popular, iherb.com also carries it. I personally like Nature's Way Pepogest which is just peppermint and nothing else.

Always take peppermint capsules on an empty stomach. An hour before eating or two hours after eating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2022 1:51 AM

I don't know if this is for everyone, but I like almond flavored black tea with non-sugar sweeter and almond milk. It's a wonderful no calorie dessert. Also, popcorn has a lot of fiber and is whole grain. I add turmeric to my almond-milk lattes and also take turmeric supplement as well as magnesium. Chameomeil tea is also a wonder, and I drink mine with rose petals and rosehip, both of which have good results.

by Anonymousreply 29August 13, 2022 1:59 AM

To all: get your colonoscopy!!!! I’m under the age where it is required in my country to have one but had a family member who got colon cancer at an old age. I also had IBS symptoms. I was refused a colonoscopy because I was told I was under the age for it and the family member who had it was too old for it to be considered hereditary. I pushed anyway and finally got one a year later. And it turned out I had colon cancer. I am ok now but will always have to be vigilant.

Trust me you don’t want to put this stuff off. Also, Listen to your body and push for answers for your own health. Procrastination can be a killer.

by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2022 2:14 AM

I’m a little surprised that IBS was diagnosed via a colonoscopy. It’s not something that is visible. Perhaps OPs doctor arrived at that based on symptoms OP gave the doc.

by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2022 2:16 AM

Colonoscopy helps rule out other illnesses, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2022 2:23 AM

R31 is correct as far as my own experience goes. I have suffered from chronic IBS for years. Decades. Since I was adolescent. My system will not tolerate certain foods. Mainly dairy, but also sugar. So eating a lot of cookies cakes and pies or icecream is off limits. And drinking alcohol is like taking poison. But my colonoscopy didn't "diagnose" IBS. We did that based on my symptoms, long before I had those GI tests. I had polyps on three separate occasions. I ma overdue for my test now so wish me luck. I get one in 90 days.

by Anonymousreply 33August 13, 2022 3:49 AM

This could have been a useful thread but now it'll just be OP diverting it to talk about colonoscopy prep etc etc etc etc into fecal madness until it's full or Muriel takes pity.

by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2022 5:53 AM

Diverticulosis is very common—I’ve had it for a few years, no symptoms.

In the US, about half of those 60+ have it.

by Anonymousreply 35August 13, 2022 6:08 AM

Diverticulosis? Sorry for asking, but what is this shit?

by Anonymousreply 36August 13, 2022 11:14 PM

So much conflicting information on diet for IBS sufferers. One author includes garlic in her recipes, another says absolutely no garlic. I am sinking into depression.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 4:01 PM

R37. I hear you. It seems to be a very personal trial and error thing with diet. Nothing recommended has worked for me except Metamucil daily and also a very expensive probiotic from whole foods that is for people who travel. Other probiotics meant for “ibs” were useless for me. Even then it haven’t made it go away for good. I’d love to not have to think about my ibs every morning

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 6:49 PM

They*

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 6:49 PM

R37 I'm in the absolutely no garlic camp. It really messes with me. Terrible gas and vicious cramps. I have to settle for a little garlic powder. But I have heard different people react differently. I cannot eat cabbage, iceberg lettuce or ice cream. I cannot eat watermelon.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2022 6:54 PM

I’ve had IBS-D ever since I was a teenager. I don’t do the low-f diet, but I’m aware of trigger foods. Coffee is one, peanuts/peanut butter and legumes in general. Vegetables such as cabbage and Brussels sprouts are bad. Definitely cannot do sweeteners like sorbitol or mannitol. I mostly rely on a quarter tab of Immodium daily to stay “normal”.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2022 7:06 PM

Similar r40. I have ibs mixed. I think that’s why the Metamucil helps a little. A bit of garlic powder is the max I can do. Also no raw onions at all, I have recently discovered that pears are a problem for me as well as mango. I think too much dairy gets me too but I am not sure what that line in the sand is.

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 7:09 PM

Have any of you had success with the Elimination Diet? Basically subsisting on low and moderate FODMAP foods for a few months and slowly introducing high FODMAP foods?

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2022 8:55 PM

I didn't think IBS was diagnosed by a colonoscopy. I thought it was by observed symptoms and process of elimination.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2022 9:13 PM

It’s not diagnosed by colonoscopy.

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2022 9:18 PM

Thank you R45.

EST?

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2022 9:20 PM

Is this where you take shits immediately after you eat? My friend Barb has it

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2022 9:21 PM

It might be helpful to take food allergy and food sensitivity tests. There can be some low grade stuff that causes stomach upset vs ibs.

Also lactose intolerance test.

Some of these things can also eliminate some culprits.

Elimination diet did nothing for me. Sometimes it’s not what but how much of something that can trigger ibs.

There’s also growing evidence that stress reduction can help.

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2022 9:21 PM

What is EST referring to here?

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2022 9:22 PM

R49 a made up scenario post to get attention and sympathy.

Emotional Support Trolling

by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2022 9:45 PM

Elaborate Scenario Troll

by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2022 9:46 PM

Do you shit after you take your 1st bite of food?

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2022 9:47 PM

EST still makes no sense then In r49’s post. Obviously stupid.

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2022 10:18 PM

I have IBS mixed I guess. Because I can go for days with nothing and then boom and the episodes I have with severe crippling cramps are killer. But I'm not sure what are triggers anymore. I'd welcome any suggestions you have. OK. I'm lactose intolerant. No ice cream whipped cream or cream sauces. RIcotta makes my stomach hurt. So ok. Dairy. Except I can eat Feta Cheese. and even a small amount of cheddar. Once in a while. I can't eat cabbage but I do eat brussel sprouts. As long as I don't eat more than half dozen. I eat broccoli but asparagus are no good. cooked carrots not raw. No celery. No garlic. limit raw tomatoes. Mixed greens are OK. Not sure about onions. I eat only chicken and fish, but I can't resist bacon once in a while. I also eat roasted pork.Low fat. No fried foods. I can eat certain kinds of beans. But not all. Chick peas are a no no. But Cannellini beans or Northerns are fine.. Lentils are the best. I have to force myself to drink more water and not be so sedentary. Hard when you work at a desk all day.

by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2022 11:12 PM

So, the people claiming EST. Ok, I know it can’t be diagnosed via colonoscopy that IBS is a symptom based diagnosis. The colonoscopy rules out other things. Sorry I wasn’t thinking straight when I originally posted. I’m still awaiting other biopsies because there were multiple polyps found. And yes, the polyps found in the stomach was via upper GI. Colonoscopy and upper endoscopy were both done at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2022 2:56 AM

I've had two minor diverticulitis flares in the last year. Both times it was because I was constipated for a couple days and under a lot of stress. Avoid constipation at all costs, make sure you go every day. At least you know about the diverticulosis ahead of time so you can stay on top of it.

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2022 3:16 AM

This thread needs to be transferred to an AARP site. This site is for gossip - not about reading about your ancient, destroyed guts. Get some depends, a xanax, and move along, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2022 4:38 AM

R56. That's easier said than done. I try to be careful. I restrict my diet. But I just had a bad flare up Sunday night. Today is Monday. If my pattern holds, I will feel fine for two or three days, then the bloating and discomfort, and finally another episode. By then it will have been 6-7 days since my last BM. I will take Metamucil, drink water, and get exercise. Years ago one Doctor said my colon was "lazy." I've never heard that description again, but I'm at a lost. I already consume a lot of fiber. I've tried to control this for years. I'm in my 60's now.

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2022 3:32 PM

I have no experience with this to know if it works or not but thought I would link it anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2022 1:12 AM

Shut up r57, we'll all get there sooner than you think. I'm going to listen and start damage control young.

by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2022 1:38 AM

Darling OP, if they found polyps in your colon via a colostomy, you have greater issues than gut pockets, but you may be able to sue for malpractice.

Best of luck, and Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2022 1:42 AM

IBS isn’t an old person’s affliction. I’ve had it since I was about 29.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2022 1:43 AM

I had it earlier than my teens for as long as I can remember I was always having problems with my colon. I knew there was a connection between my bowel problems and what I was eating, but I had no idea what it was. For example. When I was little, I would wake in the middle of the night with a stomach ache. My poor father would give me a glass of warm milk! Which I know now was the worst possible thing. but long ago, WTF did we know about Lactose intolerance.

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2022 2:57 AM

I was diagnosed with IBS about 30+ years ago. Over time you learn what the triggers are and what to avoid. In my case fruit (and fruit juice), coffee, alcohol and stress.

A side benefit - Cannabis is legal in my state and IBS is one of the conditions which qualifies a person for a medical marijuana card.

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2022 3:08 AM

It's good to know you have diverticulosis so you can avoid small seeds and eat lots of fiber. Diverticulitis is extremely painful and dangerous. I had recurrent attacks and eventually had to have a section of colon removed. Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2022 3:48 AM

I’ve been taking Imodium to prevent diarrhea. Do any of you do that? Or do you take when you feel it coming on?

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2022 3:54 AM

I don’t as it would just back things up. I doubt that’s a healthy long term treatment. Metamucil helps me the most. A glass in the morning before I eat. It’s not perfect but it’s worked alright for me.

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2022 4:09 AM

I try not to take medications. I take my Metamucil. And I do take the dicyclomine for spasms and cramps as needed. But I try very hard not to get reliant on pills. R64, does all fruit bother you? Because I don't eat much fruit, but I try to eat some. The other thing I noticed over the years, is that thiings that never bothered me when I was in my 20's and 30's, really bother me in my 50's.

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2022 4:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!