Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RIP Ben Stern

Howard Stern's Father Ben Stern Dies At 99, Wife Ray Stern And Family Mourn The Loss!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2022 12:13 PM

He was an audio engineer and worked with celebrities back in the day, He outed Raymond Burr to Howard a loooong time ago.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2022 9:41 AM

I’m an old fart 60, and I remember Howard’s show in the early days. Back then he said he was a half breed, claimed his dad was Jewish and his mother was Italian Catholic. I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2022 10:07 AM

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2022 11:49 AM

R3

He died fighting a forest fire! He was 99 years old Rose!

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2022 12:05 PM

“Which wall are you going to stare at today, Dad?”

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2022 12:07 PM

Wow, this was entirely under the radar. No mention of it anywhere and all the online searches show click bait sites. I wonder when it happened? On another note, Howard’s paintings are pretty incredible.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2022 12:12 PM

If this is true, very sad.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2022 12:30 PM

I agree R6. His paintings are really incredible.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2022 12:31 PM

And I heard he had just bought a farm...

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2022 12:36 PM

Here R6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2022 1:17 PM

His paintings are by far the best thing he has ever done

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2022 1:36 PM

I misread this as Ben Stein lol

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2022 1:39 PM

Even with the headline, his father’s death gets buried in the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2022 1:41 PM

Love his paintings and his animal advocacy.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2022 3:52 PM

"I told ya not to be stupid ya moron..."

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2022 7:17 PM

They are on summer hiatus - been off the air for about 3 weeks and no idea when they're coming back, so Howard will have time to get his emotions under wraps by the time the show returns. I don't listen anymore, but I can just picture the calls from suck-up freaks like Marian from Brooklyn, Jeff the Drunk, Bobo, etc. all calling in condolences but really looking for airtime and brownie points.

I infrequently scan the Marksfriggin site just to see if anything interesting has happened and since about March Howard has been talking about how his mother keeps saying "I'm ready to go". His mom suffered from depression when Howard was in his teens and talked about suicide a lot then. With that being said, I think this will be a case where a spouse dies and the remaining spouse goes quickly after.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2022 7:28 PM

I never thought howard had parents , he seems like a person who as a baby jyst showed up at the orphange bitching , complaining and cussing but his art is indeed the best thing he has ever done.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2022 8:26 PM

Loved him in Farris Bueler's Day Off.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2022 8:34 PM

I had no idea Howard painted.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2022 10:19 PM

Someone reported that with Ben out the way, Ray will shave her hairs and begin dating rappers.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2022 5:01 PM

Howard was back today (9/06/22) after taking the summer off, so this is the first day back since his father died. I saw on Marksfriggin that they discussed it, and am curious if he was serous or turned it into jokes. I used to be able to download the daily Stern show from a secret source to listen, but the uploader started using the site MEGA for the audio files, and my laptop freezes and crashes when I tried to download from it. I had to give up on that, so, I'm coming here to see if anyone can give me a rundown on how old Ben was eulogized.

I've noticed that Howard can hardly ever keep a serious topic going, that he always cuts it short or someone says something "humorous" to lighten the mood. He did that a lot during the Artie heroin years - even when Artie was trying to get real about his problems, including his suicide attempts, Howard would get uncomfortable and say something to change the tone of the conversation. I remember Howard making jokes and Robin cackling like a fool when Artie was describing the time he ended up in a psych ward. From those situations, I wonder if Howard he did it today too, when listeners had years of hearing Ben Stern stories and wanted to hear a son honor his father, I imagine Howard doing the opposite and using the situation for "good radio". Also curious what he said about his mother, who has been talking about "being ready to go" for months previous.

Also, it was revealed that Beth turned 50 during the hiatus. This made me laugh because back in the day when Howard was a real misogynistic creep, he would say that he would never be with a woman over 40. Now that he's ancient, he changed his tune

by Anonymousreply 21September 6, 2022 9:57 PM

R21- Try the Stern show thread on reddit.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2022 1:09 PM

Thanks R22 - I don't go to Reddit too often and didn't know they had a Stern forum. It was very informative and gave a great breakdown of Howard's return and his talk about Ben.

by Anonymousreply 23September 8, 2022 12:40 AM

I’m disappointed that Howard stopped short calling Trump a moron. He was about to, then stopped. It’s so sad that he just won’t go there. He called George W Bush a POS.

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2022 3:34 PM

Howard’s mom is still alive??!

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2022 3:44 PM

I loved him in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2022 3:48 PM

r26 meet r18

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2022 3:50 PM

^Like Patti LuPone who only reads her part of the script, I don't read anyone else's posts.

by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]I’m disappointed that Howard stopped short calling Trump a moron. He was about to, then stopped.

This was last week, by the way. It’s so disappointing to me.

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2022 4:23 PM

R25 He constantly trashes Trump and his followers. Why would referring to him as a "moron" make you shoot across the room?

Let's be honest, as repugnant as Trump is...you can't be a moron and literally have half of the country (including Congress) at your beck and call.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2022 10:30 AM

He’s never attacked Trump personally, never once. It’s sad.

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2022 12:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!