Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A DLer in Malaysia

Pack your bags girls! KL is waiting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568December 2, 2023 12:06 PM

Do not support that shithole with your dollars, for fuck sake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2022 11:08 PM

Lived 7 years in KL and loved it. But if you value your life, do not use a scooter. Seen many dead bodies from accidents. Medical is cheap and good. He is living like a local…scooter, eating out at food bazaars, local insurance. I’m not sure if I could do that long term. We came on work visa and housing was paid by company so we weren’t on a limited budget. I wonder about when he gets old, who will take care of him? He doesn’t have the money for an Indonesian maid and assisted living is nearly non-existent. People take care of their own in Asia. When KL locked down, it was a very long and hard lock down. Police outside to arrest you. Just knowing that, I won’t consider it again. Malaysia is NOT gay friendly, either.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2022 11:19 PM

I suppose he could always return to the States if he can no longer take care of himself there.

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2022 12:16 AM

And now he goes shopping for groceries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2022 12:43 AM

Move to Jamaica instead 🙄

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2022 12:49 AM

But then you have to live in….Malaysia. Sorry - this whole idea of finding a cheap foreign country to retire is ridiculous. The last thing I want when I’m getting physically weaker, friends and family dying and am trying to simplify life is moving to a foreign country with a lot more complications and new things to learn. I’d rather retire to a cheap place in the US. Starting over at 65 is not my goal.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2022 1:05 AM

We found Bill Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2022 1:12 AM

This is only for rice queens.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2022 1:20 AM

A straight friend of mine in his 60s is divorcing his wife and moving to the Philippines -- and he's never even visited there. (He's African-American, by the way.)

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2022 1:46 AM

Im sure his Malaysian rent boys laugh at his gay voice and puny cocklet all day long.

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2022 2:57 AM

And he is back. At times he seems like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2022 12:52 AM

Yeah. Great place for gay Muslim apologists. Perhaps all of them should move there.

[quote]Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people in Malaysia face significant challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Sodomy is a crime in the country, with laws strictly enforced, and social attitudes towards the LGBT community are shaped by Islam, the official state religion of Malaysia. Breaking the law is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and authorities will also bring the person to corporal punishment (caning).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2022 1:02 AM

OMG, is he for real?

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2022 1:02 AM

From the UK 🇬🇧 government:

[Quote]Homosexual acts are illegal in Malaysia and punishable under federal law. You should avoid any behaviour which could attract unwanted attention, including public displays of affection.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2022 1:06 AM

Where's ConcernedEuropean to tell us how "it's not really that bad"

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2022 1:15 AM

I'm sold. This would be $80 million in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2022 6:05 AM

Isn’t Kuala Lumpur sinking? Who’d want to live there?

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2022 11:15 PM

I think that's Jakarta, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2022 11:31 PM

The DL comments section has become sentient and moved to Malaysia.

Terrifying progress in AI technology.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2022 11:46 PM

At R11 he's solved the age-old problem of hideous dish-drains!

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2022 11:56 PM

[quote]The last thing I want when I’m getting physically weaker, friends and family dying and am trying to simplify life is moving to a foreign country with a lot more complications and new things to learn.

I hope you're not getting physically weaker with friends and family dying at 65. Anyway, I can understand this attitude, but my feeling is that starting a new life in a new place and learning new things would be totally rejuvenating and it's what I plan to do (I'm 59). (It won't be in Malaysia though.)

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2022 1:02 AM

I Couldn’t do It. I find many asians to be sneaky and rude. The Japanese are lovely as are the Asians in Fiji. Flips are The worst. Almost everything out of their mouths are lies. They lie like it’s a Competitive sport.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2022 3:09 AM

The heat and humidity is oppressive and it lasts all year. I guess if you're an old couch potato shut-in who never does outdoor activities, the weather is a non-issue. But I was absolutely miserable there.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2022 3:14 AM

And Bangkok is sinking too.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2022 4:40 AM

I got to hand it to him, his apartment is incredibly chic. If those were his design choices, then he has very youthful and modern taste.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2022 4:42 AM

r19 This is only the early days. Next week, Taylor is already crafting a whole bunch of new episodes tailored just for us at DL: "Barron Trump Sizemeat?", "Unrealistic Golden Girl Storylines" "Things All Fraus Do At Work".

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2022 5:11 AM

He kept saying, "We..." Where is the young, Asian partner? At work? On the ho stroll?

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2022 5:47 AM

He mentioned in one of his earlier videos that he moved to KL from Penang for love.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2022 5:52 AM

I figured he was just using the royal we. He also said he was a video gamer. So he is just full of surprises and interesting stories.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2022 5:53 AM

He's just there for the street trade.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2022 6:36 AM

R22, I never knew about the reputation of Filipinos being liars. I've come across them from time to time in NYC and have never had any problems with any of them. But when you look up the search terms 'Filipinos' an' liars' on Google there's a lot of links to posts that completely agree with your assessment.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2022 7:25 AM

Good on him. What an adventure.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2022 8:51 AM

My bf and I (both Asians) went to KL for a long weekend. Met a muscle guy on Grindr -possibly the hottest I ever had fun with - and spent the entire weekend in the hotel. Drugs were involved.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2022 9:25 AM

Wait, so serious question...could Taylor (clearly not his real name...no white male of his age would've been named Taylor) and his partner be arrested/ratted out for having homosex relations inside their loft? He's made his location very known.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2022 9:50 AM

No one gets charged for what happens in the privacy of your home. Public sex is a different matter.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2022 10:15 AM

R34, the man's *last* name is Taylor. Nothing anachronistic about that.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2022 11:08 AM

That "mad money" he has every month probably pays for the love. I can't imagine living in a 3 bedroom apt. I wonder if he splurged and brought a lot of junk with him to Malaysia. That slight heart problem is going to get very expensive and difficult to manage if it gets worse.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2022 11:58 AM

I imagine this is what the average DLer looks like.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2022 11:59 AM

Perv Alert!

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2022 12:12 PM

[quote] Homosexual acts are illegal in Malaysia

Homosexuality acts were only made legal in the US in 2003 (20 years ago) so I don't think we can point to anyone with superiority.

Plus, many of our SCOTUS judges and the GOP are ready to overturn that tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2022 12:36 PM

[quote] No one gets charged for what happens in the privacy of your home. Public sex is a different matter.

like the rest of the world

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2022 12:37 PM

R18 KL too…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2022 12:57 PM

Only suicidal, miserable homos should go living the last chapter of their wretched lives in shithole homophobic Malaysia. But then again, it's a paradise for hetero pedophiles.

PS. And R35 doesn't know shit about Anwar Ibrahim, I reckon.

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2022 1:09 PM

the weather is too much. Think of July/Aug in NYC but for the whole year! No thank you!

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2022 1:15 PM

R10- LOL 😝 he does indeed have a VERY gay voice. I don’t know about the PUNY cockles though .

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2022 1:19 PM

Maybe back in 1978 he was a cute young twink .

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2022 1:30 PM

R11-He’s a gay version of one of the Golden Girls 👧

Which one ? Perhaps Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2022 1:39 PM

He's a rice queen, probably a pedo, and definitely a cheap cunt.

This is the real estate version of those trailer park queens who rave on YouTube about how "amazing" it is to buy expired meat at discount grocers, and how entertaining it is to play scratchy-lotto tickets in the Subway attached to a truck stop. He seems happy and proud that he's saving coin, but at what cost? Malaysia is a deeply underdeveloped country with a history of sectarian violence, anti-LGBT laws, sweltering steamy climate, unreliable civil services, and few personal freedoms for citizens and residents. No amount of cash savings is worth that.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2022 1:51 PM

R48- You are one NASTY queen.

Please, sit next to me .

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2022 1:58 PM

Girl is living the life so of course the DLers come out in full force. Methinks he's going to die with a smile on his face.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2022 2:15 PM

His décor is somewhat impersonal. He keeps gushing in one video over where he picked up this or that piece, but it all looks like it came from a showroom.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2022 2:22 PM

Her next vid...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2022 2:26 PM

Gay voice for days, and very thorough in that gay way, but after your ears acclimate he's a likable sort and organized in his presentations, and he's found a place where he seems happy living and for very modest cost. Good for him.

The apartment is impressive for $410 and the wall of glass with a great view. Otherwise Malaysia is not at all for me, but I'm happy for him that he's taken on his own challenge and seemingly done well.

[quote]...my feeling is that starting a new life in a new place and learning new things would be totally rejuvenating and it's what I plan to do (I'm 59).

It can be rejuvenating, R21, and for some the needed antidote to their peers shutting down and moving to a home on a single level and worrying about a thousand risks and what-ifs and "will my money hold old if I live to be 124 years old?" For some people old age is a time to narrow focus and circle the wagons and look backward, but for others there is nothing to stop them from looking forward to new challenges. For that, I applaud the guy for going his own way against a chorus would probably protested that he was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2022 2:26 PM

Taylor here. I don't know what you gays are talking about, I am all man and love the laides. I moved to KL for that sweet sweet pussy.

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2022 2:30 PM

r33 details please. Was he on vacation? Where was he from? Big dick? What all did you do? WE NEED TO KNOW!

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2022 2:31 PM

R53 Truly. In our late 40s here and highly disillusioned. All our friends have gone two routes: 1) workaholics trying to keep up with the Joneses because that's what middle-aged workaholic professionals do or 2) stayed the same basic bar/Vegas/Palm Springs/Puerto Vallarta/Ptown gay they were in the 90s and early 2000s because that's what basic alcoholics do. Their "new" friends fit their mold too. Can't relate.

Both really don't see a point in changing, but it's deeply saddening for us to be in this rut. We are looking at moving abroad and considering retirement outside of the US as well. Maybe the grass will be greener, maybe it won't.

However, as Madonna once said "I'm not afraid of what I'll face, but I'm afraid to stay."

Wish this queen the best, you all too.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2022 2:48 PM

I would not call Malaysia "deeply underdeveloped." I don't like KL, but it has every modern amenity. Obviously there are going to be rural areas that aren't built up and shouldn't be. I went to Cambodia on the same trip and Malaysia was a hell of a lot more developed. And Cambodia has far more vulnerable children rife for exploitation, sadly.

My favorite part of Malaysia was Langkawi, much cleaner and more laid back than Penang, but I would never consider living there long-term.

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2022 3:01 PM

I am not shocked easily but was completely shocked at the amount of public sex going on in and near the public market in Kuala Lumpur. This was all pre Covid so I don't know if it is still going on. It was like a bathhouse in San Francisco in 1978 or something. And the amount of Transwomen running around too was unbelievable. What the government says and what the people do are two different things I guess. Kuala Lumpur hardly seems poor or third world. It doesn't compare to Singapore yet but it is on its way. My only complaint was I found the place a little boring really compared to Bangkok

I do wish Taylor well. With his 2K budget a month i suspect he would struggle in the USA. In Malaysia he seems to be doing well..

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2022 3:03 PM

I’m a DLer.

I’m an American.

How safe is it for me to live cheaply in Kuala Lumpur?

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2022 3:08 PM

[quote]However, as Madonna once said "I'm not afraid of what I'll face, but I'm afraid to stay."

Madonna, honey, we are all terrified of your face which should have stayed the way it was.

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2022 3:14 PM

A friend of mine is Chinese-Malaysian. He has lived in the UK for over 40 years and will never go back because of the anti-gay mentality. His own family are fine about his being gay, and were very welcoming of his late partner. He worries about his family suffering negative consequences because of him.

by Anonymousreply 61August 17, 2022 3:20 PM

KL is the Houston of Malaysia -- Penang the San Francisco. And yes rent boys for days with wide open public whoring of all genders - but only in select run down locations. Much like the USA of the 30's-50's

by Anonymousreply 62August 17, 2022 3:29 PM

r59, Kuala Malaysia has always seemed very safe to me. I did once hear about the usual motorbike purse snatching there before but that is it on crime. I knew a British woman who lived there and she felt very safe and secure. It's a slick place with great public transportation. I would consider moving there as well if I was interested in leaving the USA at this point.

by Anonymousreply 63August 17, 2022 3:29 PM

KL is a good stopover when going from London to Australia. Fabulous hotels at low prices - I like the Shangri-La. Great food everywhere too. And shopping. It’s definitely less interesting than Bangkok or Hong Kong, and not as shiny as Singapore, but still fun for a few days. Langkawi has great beaches and luxury resorts. Plenty of obvious gays everywhere. It’s not Mykonos but it’s not Mosul under ISIS rule either.

by Anonymousreply 64August 17, 2022 3:48 PM

[quote] I’d rather retire to a cheap place in the US. Starting over at 65 is not my goal.

That's what I did (moved to a cheap place in the U.S.) and I always thought I would move abroad. I lived in 2 Asian countries, very safe and cheap with Western level medical facilities. But I was younger and working then, so retiring there would mean no structure or support. I would probably know only expats as a result, and a lot of them are real dicks, racist, ignorant and entitled. The ones I want to be friends with usually move on pretty quickly. Asian languages are hard to learn as well, so Mexico was on the short list for awhile. Anyhoo, I left the SF bay area right before covid so I'm relieved I wasn't in Asian style lockdown, which was basically lockup. I think I made the right decision but will probably always have that wistful 'road not taken ' feeling when I watch these youtube expats.

I'm not an Islamophobe but I am a Mary and would never move to a Muslim country. Even buddhist Thailand had insurrectionists and bombings in the south (which borders Malaysia.)

by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2022 4:04 PM

R65- I'M A MARY

That's such a datalounger thing to say

and I approve

by Anonymousreply 66August 17, 2022 4:11 PM

R65- I misquoted you

I AM A MARY

by Anonymousreply 67August 17, 2022 4:11 PM

Datalounge people- Who has a stronger GAY accent this ex patriot or Richard Simmons?

by Anonymousreply 68August 17, 2022 4:12 PM

Malaysia is definitely not "deeply underdeveloped." It's relatively popular among expats because it has one of the better golden visa programs where if you invest a certain amount in the country (like, you buy a house) you get access to government services, etc. And you can live well there for very little money.

by Anonymousreply 69August 17, 2022 4:13 PM

What is a cheap place in the US where a (non-meth addicted) gay could comfortably retire?

by Anonymousreply 70August 17, 2022 4:16 PM

[quote]public whoring of all genders - but only in select run down locations.

God forbid one should be seen in a non-select whoring slum!

What makes for a prestigous whoring slum?

by Anonymousreply 71August 17, 2022 4:21 PM

He could have a whole second career narrating honey badger videos.

by Anonymousreply 72August 17, 2022 4:24 PM

Not about prestige, more about where it's tolerated and the payoffs given to the police. In both Penang's and KL's case I found the 'for rent' zones were usually at the edges of the night markets. Expect to see an asian version of Amsterdam's red light district with lots of free range talent wandering around as well.

by Anonymousreply 73August 17, 2022 4:50 PM

Hey, R34. You might be surprised how many men were named Taylor way back when. Taylor Hackforc (movie director and Helen Mirren’s husband) was born in 1944. Here are others:

>Taylor Booth (mathematician) (1933–1986), American mathematician

>Taylor Branch (born 1947), American author and historian

>Taylor Douthit (1901–1986), American baseball player

>Taylor Duncan (1953–2004), American baseball player

>Taylor Negron (1957–2015), American actor, comedian, painter, and playwright

>Taylor Wang (born 1940), Chinese-American scientist

by Anonymousreply 74August 17, 2022 5:09 PM

Why not move to a more gay friendly (and cheaper?) country like Thailand or Vietnam?

by Anonymousreply 75August 17, 2022 5:28 PM

Interesting video. This Malaysian woman criticizes her government’s attitude towards the LGBT+++ community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 17, 2022 5:29 PM

[quote] I would probably know only expats as a result, and a lot of them are real dicks, racist, ignorant and entitled.

There's almost always something off about ex-pats. Many of them are running away from something. They have no real bonds or commitments to anything in life. I don't find people like that to be trustworthy.

by Anonymousreply 77August 17, 2022 5:40 PM

One of the major advantage of Malaysia is being a former British colony where until today English to be widely used and spoken by everyone. Expats can live in Malaysia for years without the need to learn any local languages as you can get by everything just through English. Thailand and Vietnam might be cheaper but the language barrier can be difficult to navigate.

by Anonymousreply 78August 17, 2022 5:57 PM

R44 Air con car/shops/home/ office if you can’t handle the midday sun

by Anonymousreply 79August 17, 2022 5:58 PM

R43 Anwar case was different. It was alleged rape.

by Anonymousreply 80August 17, 2022 6:02 PM

R75 Thailand and Vietnam are way more underdeveloped

by Anonymousreply 81August 17, 2022 6:14 PM

Move over, Nicolas Fairford! DataLounge has a new YouTube darling—Andrew Taylor, expat!

by Anonymousreply 82August 17, 2022 6:47 PM

R82- These type of gay men with the Queeny voice and Fussbudgetiness seem so cheerful- straight woman love ❤🧡 this type of gay male but this type of gay male is usually bitchy and bitter.

by Anonymousreply 83August 17, 2022 7:00 PM

R78 Thailand has been western tourists destination for decades now, most of the younger generations speak English. Why not to Philippines then? Everyone speaks English there and it's gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 84August 17, 2022 7:44 PM

Lest we forget .... Medicare does not work outside of the US.

by Anonymousreply 85August 17, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote]What makes for a prestigous whoring slum?

High-class whores.

by Anonymousreply 86August 17, 2022 8:55 PM

Everyone in Malaysia speaks English but no one in Indonesia speaks Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 87August 17, 2022 8:56 PM

The Philippines is as inefficient and corrupt as all of the former Spanish colonies, coupled with the blind fanaticism that comes with Catholicism. It's probably the least efficient/organized country of the "known" Southeast Asian countries. Vietnam is still a communist country.

I'd consider Thailand as well before Malaysia, but the English factor in Malaysia is helpful. Malaysia also doesn't have the *party/sex* mindset that drives most (not all) foreign tourism. That gets trashy and old real fast, and is just a short plane ride away anyway.

Again, the girl seems happy. Not really much different that leaving Big City USA for the Middle of Nowhere Cheaper USA. He's tech savvy, got some street smarts, and seems content with his choice.

by Anonymousreply 88August 17, 2022 9:06 PM

I love his eyerolls when he calls something "gorgeous."

by Anonymousreply 89August 17, 2022 9:12 PM

Spicy, r33! How was the dong and the drugs?

by Anonymousreply 90August 17, 2022 9:14 PM

I need really preftigious whores

by Anonymousreply 91August 17, 2022 9:15 PM

He'll end up dead long before ge needs assistance.

by Anonymousreply 92August 17, 2022 9:42 PM

He's going to end up dead regardless, might as well go out with a smile.

He's an eldergay, what else looms in his imminent future?

by Anonymousreply 93August 17, 2022 9:59 PM

Be careful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 17, 2022 10:06 PM

[quote]Girl is living the life so of course the DLers come out in full force.

Uhhhhhh, yeah. We're just jealous. That's the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 95August 17, 2022 11:01 PM

Not so fast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 17, 2022 11:05 PM

R95- Who would be interested in him in the USA?

He's FAT

He's OLD

He's QUEENY

Maybe that was one of the reasons who moved to Asia - Because a lot of Asians queens will love white guys even white guys that are ; FAT, OLD and EFFEMINATE.

by Anonymousreply 97August 17, 2022 11:40 PM

I wonder if he is married to a legal adult.

Oh c'mon, you were all thinking it.

by Anonymousreply 98August 17, 2022 11:43 PM

R95 That's exactly it and you know it. Do you think gay men don't know how other gay men think?

You may not be jealous of the specifics of his life, but you're jealous at how he's living for him. Otherwise, you bitches wouldn't be so invested in coming back with nothing but typical bitchy faggy cunty comments.

Must be hard to be afraid to live your life to the fullest.

by Anonymousreply 99August 17, 2022 11:55 PM

R99- That's not it. This datalounge we are notorious for our bitchiness.

by Anonymousreply 100August 17, 2022 11:59 PM

[quote][R95] That's exactly it and you know it. Do you think gay men don't know how other gay men think?

Poor thing.

You sound....triggered. Like "married to an underage Asian ladyboy" triggered.

by Anonymousreply 101August 18, 2022 12:10 AM

I just looked up Malaysia on a map and apparently it shouldn't be so hard to sail over for some Australian cock, as long as he saves up his meager income for a decent trick.

by Anonymousreply 102August 18, 2022 12:19 AM

R55 & r90. The guy was stunning: tall, good looking w big cock. Extremely versatile with incredible stamina. Asian, not local and said he was the bf of some gay big shot. Who knows and I don’t care. He was leagues above my partner and me. Looking back, we were extremely reckless- it could have turned terribly with the drugs. We were high as kites when we checked out. Hope he’s still around 🙏

by Anonymousreply 103August 18, 2022 12:21 AM

R101 Y'all queens are triggered by this queen living out her golden years by her rules.

It's hilarious and yeah I'm triggered by it because it's such a sad, pathetic look on anyone.

The cheap shots here are all you got? Sad indeed.

Go back to the Anne Heche posts, because inside that's what all you jealous bitches want for yourselves as well. To die in a fire.

by Anonymousreply 104August 18, 2022 12:23 AM

That’s hawt, r103!!!

by Anonymousreply 105August 18, 2022 12:28 AM

If you are moving to another country for your old age – which seems absolutely idiotic to me – why the hell would you go to a non-Western country. It seems to me that a better choice would be Argentina or Uruguay.

What is the cost of living in former Soviet countries? Surely one can live more cheaply in Poland than in the US …? I would many times prefer Poland or Hungary or Slovakia to a bug-infested steambath tropical “paradise” like Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 106August 18, 2022 12:43 AM

R21 and R53, I can only assume you have not watched older loved ones grow old and seen how quickly people can go from vigorous and sharp to sick and dependent. I also assume you either don’t realize or choose to ignore the increasing frequency of health issues > 65, often quite sudden in onset.

It’s one thing to live your life without cowering in fear and to try new things. It’s another to gallivant off on a adventure like a 22-year-old. There is a cost to getting old and, sorry, if you are over 65, you are OLD. You have to be more careful than you were when you were young. That’s just common sense.

All that goes x 10 if you are alone.

by Anonymousreply 107August 18, 2022 12:44 AM

Is Uruguay developed?

I really have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 108August 18, 2022 12:45 AM

At night, from certain angles, Kuala Lumpur can look alluring in a dystopian sorta way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 18, 2022 12:48 AM

Not a lot of English is spoken in Thailand and Viet Nam outside of the tourist areas. There is a lot of English in the Philippines but the infrastructure is terrible there. Malaysia is a good fit for this guy.

If the gay life there is so illegal would Taylor being making and posting the videos?

by Anonymousreply 110August 18, 2022 12:49 AM

Armenian Street, Penang

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2022 12:52 AM

Whatta dump!

by Anonymousreply 112August 18, 2022 1:06 AM

Don’t be deceived by the façade: once renovated they are hot stuff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 18, 2022 1:12 AM

R106 Why do some people prefer the coast and not the mountains, or vice versa? Why do people prefer Paris vs. Milan vs. London?

Who knows and who are we to judge? Gays seem to want to be able to live their life with not just tolerance and acceptance, but they clearly can't do the same for each other.

I can't speak for the old queen in Malaysia, but there are a myriad of reasons why anyone settles in one place over another.

Btw, Argentina, despite its airs of "Europeanism" is a third world shithole in many ways. Government is inept and corrupt. The people are stuck up and cliquey. Uruguay is better, though. Or maybe the guy doesn't speak Spanish?

Maybe he figured trying to live on his fixed income might make more sense abroad than scrimping pennies in the US, which is not easy these days?

Is there a book that says "Here's what old DLers should do?" If so, maybe he didn't get a copy?

by Anonymousreply 114August 18, 2022 1:17 AM

Like some other people were saying earlier, there are plenty of jobs that love funny queeny elderly gay guys. I'm sure he could make a lot of easy money if he wanted a side hustle. I bet he could sell real estate to other American expats part time and probably make a killing.

by Anonymousreply 115August 18, 2022 1:18 AM

R106: unless you speak Spanish - for South America - or Russian, former British colonies like Malaysia is really much easier for English speakers to navigate

Singapore is also like that, but it’s so much more expensive that it’s almost prohibitive to live there

by Anonymousreply 116August 18, 2022 1:22 AM

World 2nd tallest building set to open in KL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 18, 2022 1:41 AM

I thought only creepy people moved to Thailand or Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 118August 18, 2022 1:43 AM

And families.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 18, 2022 1:48 AM

R118 Perhaps you should read a book about, or visit, these countries one day. You might be surprised about what you learn.

by Anonymousreply 120August 18, 2022 1:55 AM

R118: it’s more Thailand and/or the Philippines

Malaysia owing to the fact that Islam being its national religion is actually quite strict and straight-laced

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 18, 2022 1:56 AM

R121 Religious or syariah courts only apply to Muslims, not if you are non Muslims

by Anonymousreply 122August 18, 2022 1:59 AM

I like him. Good for him figuring out a way to live his life on a tight budget. At least he's not sitting in some trailer in Arizona collecting disability.

by Anonymousreply 123August 18, 2022 2:41 AM

I'm not entirely convinced that he's a homosessual

by Anonymousreply 124August 18, 2022 2:49 AM

for our purposes he is

by Anonymousreply 125August 18, 2022 7:06 AM

He walks around in a sarong that slips open at inopportune moments.

by Anonymousreply 126August 18, 2022 7:07 AM

I thought Malaysia was one of the Real Housewives of Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 127August 18, 2022 7:26 AM

Milk of Malasia

by Anonymousreply 128August 18, 2022 7:42 AM

he looks like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 129August 18, 2022 7:43 AM

r87 Because English is the undisputed international language while Dutch is just collections of weird sounds made by perverts wearing clogs.

There is no practical reason for Indonesian to learn Dutch and their bloody colonial past ( and post-colonial history ) meaning they have strong nationalistic stance against anything from their Dutch past.

Malaysia ( then Malaya ) was one of the most prosperous part of British Empire. Their quest for independence was peaceful and amicable. They kept most of the British era infrastructure and social institutions including English as the language for business , law and higher education. Even till today Malaysian court proceedings still conducted in English. It is also have an efficient and inexpensive private healthcare system which why this queen choose to live there.

by Anonymousreply 130August 18, 2022 8:50 AM

Fatty hasn't mentioned the cuisine yet? Because that's what I find most fabulous about Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 131August 18, 2022 9:44 AM

Filipino cuisine is awful---good reason to avoid the Philippines. Manila is less safe than Bangkok or KL.

The insurrections in Thailand are mostly by Malay Muslims--the southern provinces are populated by them.

by Anonymousreply 132August 18, 2022 11:20 AM

He mentions cuisine whenever the topic comes up, R131—often with a little eye-roll and head-shake as he gasps "delicious!"

by Anonymousreply 133August 18, 2022 11:31 AM

R107- It depends on the person. My father was commuting into Manhattan from the suburbs 5 days a week to his office at 91 years old. Three trains each way - dragging all of his heavy notebooks.

Numerically- one can’t deny it by SEVENTY. Some people are old by 50 or even younger - they way they look and act.

by Anonymousreply 134August 18, 2022 12:18 PM

He reminds me of that old queen in Texas who tediously told "stories worth telling" or some thing similar or that Jiminy Glick character from cable access LA who interviewed celebs, Skip E Lowe. Who has used that term "mad money" since the 50s?

by Anonymousreply 135August 18, 2022 12:32 PM

People asking why Malaysia? The healthcare there is 10x what it is in us in terms of quality and advancement and about 1/10th of the cost. Malaysia is a large Medical Tourism destination.

by Anonymousreply 136August 19, 2022 2:15 AM

Yes, Taylor will do fine there in regards to health care on his budget. If something very, very expensive shows up he could always fly back.

by Anonymousreply 137August 19, 2022 2:31 AM

[quote]I would many times prefer Poland or Hungary or Slovakia to a bug-infested steambath tropical “paradise” like Malaysia.

If you'll remember, the major gay retirement spots in this country are Florida and Palm Springs. When you get old, you get cold easily and you want to live someplace warm, not an icebox like Poland.

I would buy one of those shophouses in Penang in a heartbeat - they're amazing.

by Anonymousreply 138August 19, 2022 2:50 AM

[quote]I would many times prefer Poland or Hungary or Slovakia to a bug-infested steambath tropical “paradise” like Malaysia.

If you'll remember, the major gay retirement spots in this country are Florida and Palm Springs. When you get old, you get cold easily and you want to live someplace warm, not an icebox like Poland.

I would buy one of those shophouses in Penang in a heartbeat - they're amazing.

by Anonymousreply 139August 19, 2022 2:50 AM

R136: Yeah--fly home when you're having heart attacks. Esp. when a ticket costs more than your "mad money" budget.

The idea that medical care is better is just absurd---the local docs get passable training. The specialists get boarded in the US or UK but don't do as much continuing ed. You can get competently done common procedures, but not exotic diagnostics and you won't find the newest meds or devices.

by Anonymousreply 140August 19, 2022 2:56 AM

In many places in the US, most travel to a specialist for cerrtain advance/complicated conditions, so not all hospitals have specialists.

I suppose you could live in a retiree haven in the US where the doctor pool will have more advanced-aged patients, but those areas aren't cheap. Certainly not $2k a montion-budget friendly.

He seems to have thought on his circumstances and riak aversion. And he's having fun and helping others who might be interested in doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 141August 19, 2022 3:34 AM

I'm curious how did end up so broke in the first place? He only has $20,000 a year to live off of in retirement and that includes a partner's money too?

by Anonymousreply 142August 19, 2022 3:38 AM

Ask any of the many DLers who constantly fret about having no savings or retirement funds.

Probably lived a carefree life a la Carrie Bradshaw, buying the trendiest labels on a shopbottom salary, caftans for days, and obviously eating out a lot.

He'd starve to death in the US these days on that budget.

Again, seems to be making the most of his circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 143August 19, 2022 3:46 AM

Does he ever say which city in the US he moved from?

by Anonymousreply 144August 19, 2022 3:48 AM

You can find parts of the USA to live on his 2K a month pension. I have and live pretty well. But I suspect he is having a nice little adventure. i wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 145August 19, 2022 4:45 AM

[quote]Yes, Taylor will do fine there in regards to health care on his budget. If something very, very expensive shows up he could always fly back.

This is a silly comment. Do you think that someone just flies back to the US for a weekend to have their cancer cured, or have open heart surgery? It doesn't work that way. The last thing someone wants to do when sick is hop on a plane and travel thousands of miles for treatment. Traveling on a long flight may not even be an option. How are you going to afford to stay in the US for weeks or months while being treated? Who's going to take care of you while there? The costs and logistics of it all would be enormous.

I swear, some of you just don't think things through.

by Anonymousreply 146August 19, 2022 4:51 AM

R146, And what solution do you have for our beloved Taylor? Move back to the USA on his 2K a month and wait around until he gets cancer? You sound like the type of person who stock piles water in your basement as you wait for doomsday.

by Anonymousreply 147August 19, 2022 5:06 AM

r146 It's not like American doctors can magically cure cancer either. And third world hospitals tend to be incredibly luxurious because all the patients are paying cash. They treat patients like they're a 5-star hotel.

by Anonymousreply 148August 19, 2022 5:11 AM

R148: Used to live in Bangkok. It's not quite like that and $700/mo in "mad money" only gets you so far in specialty care. You're a dumbass and several of us noticed that.

by Anonymousreply 149August 19, 2022 11:40 AM

At his age if I got cancer and it couldn’t be treated locally, I would just die. Old, poor, fat…what future does he have anyway?

by Anonymousreply 150August 19, 2022 1:32 PM

Do some think some senior DL queen living on 2K/month is going to be able to afford top of the line medical care in the US?

How do you all propose she handle a cancer diagnosis were she living in the US on that budget?

by Anonymousreply 151August 19, 2022 1:47 PM

True, USA health care is terrible. If you haven't got big bucks forget about it. Good luck getting even pain meds for whatever senior affliction one may have.

He's better off in Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 152August 19, 2022 2:15 PM

EXTRA! EXTRA! Taylor just put out a new video. He can even cook too. This guy without trying is screamingly funny. Does he realize this or is he pulling our legs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 19, 2022 7:11 PM

He's putting his vegetable on his bartender-grade dish-drain!

by Anonymousreply 154August 19, 2022 7:52 PM

Keep living that life girl! And sharing. Meanwhile your detractors are trapped in their rent-controlled units in the Castro and Manhattan, terrified to complain to their landlord about the broken sink, the broken heater, the broken windows because if they do they'll likely lose their $800/mo rent.

Oh and they probably can't cook either, because the sinks broken!

They're making that SSI work for them. And they're ready for the potential CANCER diagnosis and going straight to Zuckerberg General Hospital, but not the part where the young queens are lining up for Monkeypox vaccines, or that part where all the junkies are sent to when they OD.

LIFE IN MALAYSIA LOOKS AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 155August 19, 2022 8:56 PM

DL comments support the old idea that there really are only two plots in life: 1.) a stranger arrives in town, or 2.) a man sets forth from his old home in search of adventure.

In any thread related to an American changing countries, you get a few 'Have a great adventure!' and a lot of comments more along the lines of 'Don't do it! Don't leave what you know for what you don't! What if your mother needs you to apply lotions? What if you break both ankles like Joan Crawford did? What if you missed McFlurrys and couldn't find them in Kuala Lumpur? What if CBS reboots Designing Women and it might never appear on Netflix Malaysia? Will you really sacrifice your Medicare benefits? Wouldn't you feel safer staying in the U.S?. - foreign countries are dangerous!̈́ Where will you park your SUV?'

Enjoy your adventure, Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 156August 19, 2022 9:25 PM

R153 OK, that clip is funny, good fun. Non American here, regarding his accent, which sounds hilarious, what part of the U.S. is he from?

by Anonymousreply 157August 19, 2022 9:26 PM

He sounds like he is from Southern CA, or has spent a significant amount of his gay life there. He has the fake happiness that is an affectation amongst Southern CA gays. He reminds me of a friend in Palm Springs. Also older, heavier, and a Disney fanatic!

I just wish Taylor thinks more about WHAT IF HE GETS CANCER? Has he though about how hard a layover in Singapore will be if he is RUSHING TO THE ER?

by Anonymousreply 158August 19, 2022 9:29 PM

What if Taylor gets loaded on cheap Malaysia alcohol and crashes into a house at 100 miles per hour?

Will he get the same TOP OF THE LINE medical treatment that SAVED ANNE HECHE????

Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 159August 19, 2022 9:32 PM

R156 Brilliant. In the end, the trip you regret is the one you didn't take.

by Anonymousreply 160August 19, 2022 9:32 PM

[quote]Non American here, regarding his accent, which sounds hilarious, what part of the U.S. is he from?

Gayville, U.S.A., R157?

Just a guess, though I'm inclined to side with R158 and the Southern California theory. There is chipperness to the voice that I question, he starts strong like a wave coming in, but then at the end there's always that little sigh and turn as the wave changes direction and pulls back.

by Anonymousreply 161August 19, 2022 9:42 PM

The national dish sounds awful, none of the complexity of Thai or Vietnamese food. Ordinary dishes Pad Thai has more complexity and Som Tam (Papaya salad) manages to pack in sweet, sour, hot and savory. He's been there long enough that he should be proficient at a few, more interesting dishes.

by Anonymousreply 162August 19, 2022 9:48 PM

Malaysia has 33 million residents and a life expectancy that is a couple of years lower than the USA. I am not sure why Americans think the USA is the only place to get healthcare. If the healthcare is so poor in Malaysia one would think the life expectancy would be much lower than it is.

He may indeed have a nest egg as well to cover any large emergency. He hasn't said.

by Anonymousreply 163August 19, 2022 9:49 PM

R153: the real challenge of that dish, better known as ‘Maggi Mee Goreng’ [ fried Maggi Mee] is how to keep the Maggi Mee from being to soggy

Texture is everything and it’s hard to get the right balance between soft and hard

by Anonymousreply 164August 19, 2022 10:00 PM

^ toO soggy

by Anonymousreply 165August 19, 2022 10:04 PM

This is the true Malaysian national dish, nasi lemak [fragrant rice cooked in coconut milk]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 19, 2022 10:11 PM

Looks tasty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 19, 2022 10:17 PM

I once lived in Bangkok for 5 years and in that time never cooked anything. The food outside on the street was as cheap as cooking. Taylor gets points for cooking.

by Anonymousreply 168August 19, 2022 10:30 PM

He is rather endearing. I hope he posts more cooking videos.

by Anonymousreply 169August 19, 2022 10:43 PM

The only thing that could make that cooking video any funnier is if he was suddenly consumed in flames.

by Anonymousreply 170August 19, 2022 11:50 PM

Taylor's insouciant cat Earl Grey wants that apartment to himself.

by Anonymousreply 171August 19, 2022 11:57 PM

Did he forget to turn on the overhead fan above the stove, or is it one of those useless charcoal filter ones that does virtually nothing but appear to be an overhead fan.

The whole place must stink of dinner every night. I guess though with the extra high ceilings, and the windows open because of great KL weather might take the smell away eventually.

by Anonymousreply 172August 20, 2022 12:07 AM

He probably rarely cooks because the street food is so magnificent and cheap so kudos for this kitchen performance.

by Anonymousreply 173August 20, 2022 12:19 AM

It sounds like he had to leave the US. How do you live on 2K a month?

by Anonymousreply 174August 20, 2022 8:50 AM

[quote]Malaysia has...a life expectancy that is a couple of years lower than the USA. I am not sure why Americans think the USA is the only place to get healthcare.

Agreed, R163. And consider that the USA, the land of "We're Number 1!", is in 54th place for life expectancy -- 12.5 years behind the top country. No reflection whatsoever on healthcare delivery to its citizens, of course. Malaysia is at 70th place, with just one year of difference with the USA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 20, 2022 11:08 AM

The issue with health care is that they have a fairly decent system of primary care and public health, but beyond that it gets complicated and he'd be better off in the US for the kinds of specialty care an old Westerner is likely to need. His discretionary income probably won't be enough to get really good specialty care in Malaysia and he'll wind up in a Dickensian public hospital.

If his income ins 2K/mo, it means that he never saved anything, didn't have 401k and relies on Social Security. He was probably making an OK living by most standards to wind up with a benefit that size but always rented or lived in a high cost location. I wonder if he pays into Medicare. Medicare doesn't cover foreign expenses but he's be unable to get US health care without it and he'd probably need Obamacare as secondary.

by Anonymousreply 176August 20, 2022 11:23 AM

[quote]If his income ins 2K/mo, it means that he never saved anything, didn't have 401k and relies on Social Security.

We don't know his situation beyond what he has mentioned.

[quote]I wonder if he pays into Medicare. Medicare doesn't cover foreign expenses but he's be unable to get US health care without it and he'd probably need Obamacare as secondary.

Of course he should decline Medicare Part B, unless he is weighing a move back to the U.S. There is no reason for him to contribute to Part B; why should he pay $170+/month to keep open the option of moving back to the U.S.?

He's found a place to.live well for two-thirds of $2000/month, saving some USD to pay more to get Medicare B would come at a greater cost for housing, food, a cityscape view, eating out, the weekly maid, etc. For someone who has gone to the lengths he has to set himself up comfortably, why would he want to undo that so that he could take advantage of Part B and blow his fixed income on insurance premiums?

With eating out and a weekly maid, some cosmetic surgery, a few nice luxuries, and a "not that great" health insurance policy, he's spending two-thirds of his $2000/month fixed income. That doesn't seem so terrible at all and includes $85 for his monthly insurance premium and $150 for heart medicine.

His health insurance would seem the only real worry, especially with the coverage expiring at age 80 and the relatively high cost of prescription drugs. Public health care is available at charge for expats, and free to "legal residents" with one eligibility criterion having been a resident for 5 years. If Malaysia is like many other countries where national healthcare is made available to those who have lives there X years, then he's reasonably set and lurching along with a less than optimum - but cheap- policy at present.

by Anonymousreply 177August 20, 2022 12:24 PM

R177, one reason to get Medicare part B is that, if you don't take it when you're first eligible, you'll have to pay a significantly higher premium if you enroll later.

I think one thing many in this thread have trouble wrapping their heads around is the idea of someone leaving the US, or their home country, whatever it may be, with no option to return. I can't imagine cutting myself off so totally and finally from my home, but if it works for him, OK!

He could barely exist in the US or any first-world country on $2000/month, so he's probably better off.

by Anonymousreply 178August 20, 2022 12:41 PM

R48 is dyspeptic and misinformed. Malaysia has a per capita income of $30,000 -- $10,000 more than China. It's classed as Third World, but it's among the wealthiest in the category. Nor are Malaysians prone to religious violence. It's one of the few places in the Muslim world where blasphemy rios don't happen even in the face of high-profile provocations like the infamous Mohammed cartoons that European newspapers occasionally put out. It's also regretful you refer to this man as a pedo. European sex tourists don't go to Malaysia to exploit locals, they go to Thailand, the Philippines, etc. Taylor looks sweet and grandmotherly, may God protect him from the venom you vipers keep spitting about people you don't know.

by Anonymousreply 179August 20, 2022 1:00 PM

[quote]one reason to get Medicare part B is that, if you don't take it when you're first eligible, you'll have to pay a significantly higher premium if you enroll later.

But again, why bother to spend >$170/mo. if he doesn't anticipate that he will ever use it?

[quote]I think one thing many in this thread have trouble wrapping their heads around is the idea of someone leaving the US, or their home country, whatever it may be, with no option to return. I can't imagine cutting myself off so totally and finally from my home, but if it works for him, OK!

Obviously there are posters here who share this concern. Some would probably argue that he should continue his car insurance premiums for when, not if, he moves back to the U.S. It's like a farm mother warning her son not to move away to the big city...'we'll save your bedroom just as it was and your favorite milking stool for when everything goes to shit and come back to the farm where you belong.'

For some people 'home' is where they are from or never left, for others home is where they've made their lives.

There are indeed people who move to other countries and they hate everything and regret their decision. Those are the people who constantly think that they are 'away from home' and who hopefully kept some ties and options open. Our Malaysian friend, however, isn't fresh off the boat and doesn't sound like he regrets his decision to change countries or that he's itching to move back to the USA from his home which is Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 180August 20, 2022 1:38 PM

He don't need to rely on Malaysian state universal healthcare system as the country already have an extensive, modern and affordable private healthcare. I knew a Malaysian who flew home to do a full dental crown and stay in 5star hotel for 10 days and it is still cheaper than doing it in the US.

by Anonymousreply 181August 20, 2022 2:08 PM

R181: was he as illiterate as you are? Getting a cheap crown is different from needing a complex cardiac procedure. Taylor's defender's keep bringing up nonsense that no one has suggested like the car insurance thing. Paying into Medicare is prudent unless he plans to die in Malaysia. His claim of living on $2K/mo makes it fair game to speculate how he would up that way.

No mention of his visa status--is he one of these people who has to cross a border every 90 days (one reason Penang is popular with expats--it's close to Thailand and no one should ever spend more than an over night in Songai Kolok)? Otherwise, he would need permanent resident status, which is best done through a work visa or some other long-stay status. If he's gone that route, it's probably been expensive and time consuming. It's probably the only way he could use the government health system.

by Anonymousreply 182August 20, 2022 2:18 PM

A lot of self-serving assumptions here.

Perhaps he will never have significant medical complications beyond old age. (Big if, but it happens).

Perhaps he has a small to modest retirement/savings fund but wants to rely on Social Security, saving the 401k/savings for the significant "rainy day" expenses vs. daily expenses (as many seniors do - my parents do this and so do my partner's as their most significant expense, housing, is fully paid for). Or perhaps he's growing that nest egg in stocks (oh who are we kidding, the queen probably only thinks of stock in the broth/boullion variety).

The queen's obviously got enough book and street smarts to manage a comfortable move to an entirely different country and culture. He can navigate Youtube. There are 20somethings who can't do that. She's also charming and engaging. She probably didn't think too much of saving for her future, but if that's a crime than most Americans should be in prison. Now that she's there, she's making the most of it.

One thing is evident here --- the American retirement machine mindset. Americans have been condition to fear getting old. And running out of money. In a lot of countries, old age is just another chapter of life. Nothing to avoid, because it's unavoidable. Nothing to fear, because millions go through it every day, as they have for millions of years.

American provincialism is also at play here. Only Americans would be this terrified of the outside world. Immigrants/refugees leave their homes every day and manage to eek out an existence in a foreign land somehow. They're not obsessed with Medicare Part B, or a possible ER trip, or whatever contrived issues I've seen in this post.

Finally, yes, there is definitely jealousy here. It's clear some only could wish to be as adventurous and open-minded as this guy.

by Anonymousreply 183August 20, 2022 2:41 PM

R182 Hey, I've got $10,000 in mad money, can I use your crystal ball services. I'd really like to know if I'm going to have a cardiac event in my future as well. You seem to be a pro at predicting the future.

by Anonymousreply 184August 20, 2022 2:48 PM

[quote] He doesn’t have the money for an Indonesian maid

How can he not afford an Indonesian maid? They cost like $5 a week.

by Anonymousreply 185August 20, 2022 2:58 PM

Lots of good discussion here about retirement perspectives. I’m someone who doesn’t want new adventures in old age and likes access to top notch American speciality medical care as well as decadent conveniences and Western culture - so happy in a second tier American city suburb with great hospitals, public transit, food, entertainment, gayborhood yet more affordable than NY or LA.

But after doing a month of travel, I respect this decision to try new adventures in old age. Depends on expected longevity/health issues. I know I will likely need aggressive specialized medical treatment before 70 so I’ve decided to pack in lots of travel between 55-60. Maybe even try a few months in a foreign city - but likely Europe which has all the Western conveniences/culture.

by Anonymousreply 186August 20, 2022 3:15 PM

$7.50 if they top.

by Anonymousreply 187August 20, 2022 3:15 PM

Malaysia offers a retirement visa which Taylor mentioned he had so he is a legal resident.

The 37 million Malaysian citizens are able to access healthcare. I am not sure why people think Taylor can't.

by Anonymousreply 188August 20, 2022 4:05 PM

None of Taylor's defenders seems to have lived overseas or to know much beyond a friend getting a cheap crown in KL. I worked in SE Asia for 15 years and lived in Bangkok for 3 of them. I've met all kinds of expats, gay and straight, from around the region. The ones with happy, successful lives usually had some prior attachment to the place or culture and at least some rudimentary language skills. The others, well...they fell for some rent boy, or they had a fun visit once but misunderstood the culture, they settled down with with some rentboy/girl who bled them dry, they seemed depressed and isolated, etc. I used to know a number of expats in Rio and the story was kindof similar, except they didn't seem quite as dumb, as a group. As for medical costs--he eludes to a "small heart problem" which given his girth and the heavy use of palm oil for street food really could add up to something that costs over $10K. The romantic notion that you will find love and happiness on a budget in some exotic location is just that a notion. Taylor seems happy but in that superficial queeny way that often covers up a lot of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 189August 20, 2022 4:22 PM

Taylor has found love. And the love he has found is probably a cut above anything he would come up with in the USA.

The Malaysian life is probably not perfect but much better than what he would come up with in the USA with his income and appearance. The USA is very hard on older gays as we all know.

by Anonymousreply 190August 20, 2022 4:28 PM

R189 Points noted, but Bangkok and Rio are sex-trade oriented, not sure they're representative of all expat experiences.

You're right that the most successful expats are those that have an affinity or connection to a place.

One size doesn't fit all, that's the takeaway from all this discussion.

by Anonymousreply 191August 20, 2022 5:17 PM

His fancied up Top Ramen noodles are doing his heart condition no favors.

by Anonymousreply 192August 20, 2022 6:28 PM

Re Taylor's kitchen performance what did he do wrong to create that glob? Should the noodles have been added last? I think I would have added a bit of coconut milk to the mix for flavah.

by Anonymousreply 193August 20, 2022 7:49 PM

I'm always suspicious of old white men retiring in Asian countries. It's almost always for pedophilic reasons.

by Anonymousreply 194August 20, 2022 7:59 PM

R194. Show us your stats, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 195August 20, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]Immigrants/refugees leave their homes every day and manage to eek out an existence in a foreign land somehow.

Immigrants are overwhelmingly young. They don't need to worry about medical care. Furthermore, many immigrants are temporary residents, legal or otherwise. They come here to make money to send back home and save up some cash. Then, they go home. This has always been true. (20 to 30% of Italian immigrants in the great 1890-1920 wave of immigration went home to Italy, sometimes as failures, but often flush with cash from their American adventure.)

Legitimate refugees come here because they fear for their safety in their home country. That's a powerful motivator.

by Anonymousreply 196August 21, 2022 12:34 AM

R196 lol

by Anonymousreply 197August 21, 2022 12:48 AM

But please continue educating us based on statistics from 1890 to 1920.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 21, 2022 12:51 AM

Not the majority, indeed, but immigrating a higher rates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 21, 2022 12:53 AM

I hope Taylor takes us cruising the streets. I 'd like to see his daily activities and his favorite glory hole.

by Anonymousreply 200August 21, 2022 12:56 AM

An authentic Maggi Mee Goreng demo by a Malay makchik/aunty, suitably English subtitled

DLers might enjoy hearing the rather musical intonation of the Malay language

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 21, 2022 1:17 AM

The Central Market in KL had a bathroom that was full of Malay and Indian men swinging their dicks. I hope Taylor ventures down there to see it. It was out of this world. No Chinese. They show their dicks across town.

by Anonymousreply 202August 21, 2022 1:20 AM

It's all fun until he slips on Malaysian jizz in the bathroom and cracks his skull open. Then he'll get sent to some state run hospital where he'll catch some bacterial infection from the unsanitary Third World measures. On top of that he'll get treatment from a witch doctor from the boondocks where he'll lose his voice, preventing him from making YouTube videos.

Then he'll get a bill for $438,000.

The dizzy queen should have stayed in that roach infested studio she'd live in since 1994 in North Hollywood! Serves her right for thinking she could pull off a move abroad at her age.

The insanity!

by Anonymousreply 203August 21, 2022 3:43 AM

YOLO

by Anonymousreply 204August 21, 2022 4:22 AM

Billy Ellish performed there few days so it cant be that bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 21, 2022 7:27 AM

The cooking video was more entertaining than I expected. I'm still expecting a GoFundMe to be started once poor Tay-Tay finds himself in a 'Brokedown Palace'-esque situation. Heaven forbid he be caned!

by Anonymousreply 206August 21, 2022 9:36 AM

He's been in Malaysia 8 years, you trembling queen. His life is far better than yours.

by Anonymousreply 207August 21, 2022 9:55 AM

Well, he's precious, that's for sure. Just precious.

by Anonymousreply 208August 21, 2022 9:58 AM

This German guy has been in Malaysia a year traveling and working on a book. His monthly expenses are $1500 including travel. He adores Malaysia and he too says he would retire there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 21, 2022 10:15 AM

One thing I noticed from his cooking video is that he seems to have a touch of the palsy in his hands. If he's got early stage Parkinson's he'd probably be better off back in the US unless the medical community in Malaysia have good treatments for the shimmies.

by Anonymousreply 210August 21, 2022 10:27 AM

Never knew DL had so many doctors!

by Anonymousreply 211August 21, 2022 3:01 PM

[quote] and manage to eek out an existence in a foreign land somehow

Eek!

by Anonymousreply 212August 21, 2022 3:11 PM

English is my third language. How many languages do you speak, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 213August 21, 2022 3:19 PM

[quote]The Central Market in KL had a bathroom that was full of Malay and Indian men swinging their dicks. I hope Taylor ventures down there to see it. It was out of this world. No Chinese. They show their dicks across town.

Is there a cover charge?

by Anonymousreply 214August 21, 2022 4:05 PM

I was impressed when I briefly visited KL, though it was hot AF. I can see where the cost of living would be very compelling.

by Anonymousreply 215August 21, 2022 4:19 PM

I think you have to be a fan of the culture and learn the language. What point is there otherwise? Only because it's cheap? Being a forever outsider can't be a goal.

by Anonymousreply 216August 21, 2022 4:44 PM

I lived in Thailand for 5 years many years back and one of the things I enjoyed most was being an outsider. I have always lived in my head so being left out of many things was just fine with me. I did learn the local language but remained an outsider. In Malaysia there is enough English spoken so that Taylor probably has no reason to learn it.

by Anonymousreply 217August 21, 2022 7:07 PM

There is something refreshing about being an outsider, newcomer. You learn different ways of doing things, some better than the US, some worse. You're outside of your comfort zone and there is something to be gained about that. An "I do can anything" mindset.

I understand some's hesitation at trying a new way of live in your golden years. It's definitely an against the grain move. Especially those whose formative adult years were pre-internet.

Partner and I are 45 and 46. We were in college when the internet took off. We're not Tiktokers by any stretch of the imagination, but we are part of a global generation. The access to information about people and places far away make them less overwhelming, ominous, different.

We also have parents in their 70s who just want to stay home all day, every day. They have minor health issues, so nothing prevents them from seeing the world, but they don't want to. They don't even want to leave their counties. They're simple people. We were raised simply, but came of age more worldly. We don't want the same life in our retirement years.

Our plan is to retire at 62, our place paid off by 60. We'll live abroad until our 70s, and decide then where to set roots for good. It may be the US, it may not be. Who knows, maybe Taylor has a similar strategy? Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he doesn't have a strategy at all (I doubt it, he seems highly adaptive).

It's sad how many detractors in here have nothing to offer but outdated mindsets, ageism, racism, and xenophobia. I suspect its DLers of a certain age. But, they keep coming back and are invested in this guy's joie de vivre. They're so much fun to mess around it.

Maiden Aunt Bridge Clutching their Pearls!

by Anonymousreply 218August 21, 2022 7:42 PM

Nice post r218. I am always surprised how little many people on DL know about the world. Even the poster who claims to have lived outside of the USA for 15 years seems clueless. Thank God Taylor moved to Malaysia and not India. DL goes particularly crazy over India. For some reason Americans think they are God's chosen people and everything is better here. Many seem to think everyone in Malaysia is living in grass huts. One million foreigners travel to Malaysia each year for healthcare but those on DL think it must be primitive care only. I wish Taylor well as he navigates his golden years.

by Anonymousreply 219August 21, 2022 8:19 PM

It's American exceptionalism, which peaked in the 1840s with Manifest Destiny, around the same time the naysayers were at the prime of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 220August 21, 2022 10:24 PM

American Exceptionalism still runs strong, R220, less specifically in the de Tocqueville sense, but in fear and contempt of other countries, if insisting that the UsA is not only #1 but the whole of the First World, and everything else Developing Nation or adjacent. Most Americans still are very much of the.opinion that they are special people from a special place. The context changes but the belief holds firm even in surprising places.

by Anonymousreply 221August 21, 2022 10:46 PM

[Quote]I think you have to be a fan of the culture and learn the language.

KL is multi-cultural. That's part of it's great appeal and if you watch the German guy's vid above he confirms that just about everybody speaks English. I think kids are obliged to study it in school. Even in governmental offices agents speak English.

by Anonymousreply 222August 21, 2022 10:59 PM

In a market video he mentions he's a fan of Hellmann's mayo. That should tell you everything you need to know.

He seems like a sweet guy and appreciate him sharing his info on expatting.

by Anonymousreply 223August 22, 2022 12:09 AM

Show us his partner!

by Anonymousreply 224August 22, 2022 12:27 AM

R218, get back to us when you're 70.

You may have fun messing with the Maiden Aunt Brigade (are you YMF, by the way?) , but we have fun picturing you old and confronted with your brave words when you were young and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 225August 22, 2022 12:40 AM

R225 Thanks for that tired line, Gramps, but you'll likely be dead then. One of my strengths is learning from mistakes, mines and those of others.

I'm quite aware of myself that way. Also includes my possibilities and limitations. I know when to push and when to pull back. At least on this topic, I've had experience with living abroad as an immigrant myself and traveling extensively abroad. I posit my experiences and lessons.

The Maiden Aunt Brigade here is just talking out of their bitterness. It's clear many of them haven't stepped foot on foreign soil in decades if ever. The headline drew me in because it has personal relevance and interest to me. The headline drew the likes of you to come and spew judgment and discouragement, why, I have no idea. If you think it's a foolish idea, then why waste your time here?

by Anonymousreply 226August 22, 2022 12:45 AM

"but we have fun picturing you old and confronted with your brave words when you were young and ignorant"

Another fine feature of the Maiden Aunt Brigade - they're perfect - because it's easy to never make mistakes when you don't take risks and hide out from the world behind your keyboards

I'm also bravely aware the young and stupid could give a rats' ass what some old fart thinks, and I'll not make the mistake of assuming otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 227August 22, 2022 12:49 AM

It's easy to understand the tendency of many to grow conservative with age - in their movements, in a growing aversión to risk in all forms. But when it's less a personal choice than a sanctimonious self-justification, don't expect to win over 100% of your audience.

Not everyone wants to launch on bold new chapters late in life, but neither does everyone want to swaddle themselves in cotton wool and wait patiently for Death. Not everyone wants the same things or fears the same things.

by Anonymousreply 228August 22, 2022 1:38 AM

Thank you, R228. Your diplomacy and tact are honorable.

I wish nothing but the best for Taylor and following his heart. Can't understand why some are so insistent he'll die alone, broke, and injured/ill. Other than they are projecting their own insecurities.

More Taylor please!

by Anonymousreply 229August 22, 2022 2:09 AM

Taylor in an orangutan print jock strap please!

by Anonymousreply 230August 22, 2022 5:35 AM

I hope he shows us his caftan collection.

by Anonymousreply 231August 22, 2022 11:11 AM

J'adore Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 232August 22, 2022 11:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 22, 2022 11:15 AM

I want to see Taylor blowing through that mad money!

We need a Taylor self-care day video!

by Anonymousreply 234August 22, 2022 4:41 PM

I could live in Europe - but living in poor countries is not my thing. Cheaper and more down to earth - but I’m used to my decadent life

by Anonymousreply 235August 22, 2022 5:01 PM

R235. 0.5% Malaysians live under the poverty line whereas in the USA it's 12%. No slums in KL. No homeless camps no people shitting on the sidewalk and threatening people going to work.

Homeless in KL (usually rural Malaysians migrating to the cities) are picked up by authorities and placed in public housing built for this purpose.

I would bet Taylor has a better quality of life than you do.

I do not understand why Americans cling to and tout their difficult lives.

by Anonymousreply 236August 22, 2022 9:26 PM

I think Taylor is talking only about recurring monthly income which is 2k. He must have some assets in the US. He seems like a fairly intelligent guy. I am sure he didn't blow all that money earned in his lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 237August 22, 2022 9:42 PM

R237 I'm inclined to agree. He doesn't strike me as a simpleton who worked a menial minimum wage job back in the US. Those folks rarely leave their bubble.

For all we know, he's wanting to live off that Social Security while his other assets remain untouched, even if those assets are modest. He may have figured that he could have a higher standard of living in a place he cherishes abroad while protecting /growiing those assets.

A lot of "wealthy" people don't flaunt their wealth, hence why they have it. Spending more = spending more, but not necessarily spending smart.

by Anonymousreply 238August 22, 2022 10:16 PM

R194 is right. Everyone thinks that.

by Anonymousreply 239August 22, 2022 10:18 PM

Will all the high school girls talking about what everyone things go back to the Mean Girls posts? Let's get back to Taylor's Malaysian adventures!

The decadent Western-luxe-only queen can also share links to her opulent adventures as well. Expats abroad inspire me!

by Anonymousreply 240August 22, 2022 10:33 PM

Taylor is back. Do you think he realizes the recent rise in viewers is due to DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 23, 2022 1:41 AM

R233: OMG. Thanks for introducing Coil to me. How did I miss it all these years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 23, 2022 2:12 AM

dis kween is a mix betwixt Bruce Villanches gay brother and Mister Rogers gay brother.

keep doing your thing, bae

by Anonymousreply 243August 23, 2022 2:22 AM

For every expat living large in Malaysia, there is a crazy Russian whore moving to the big city to chase after rich boy cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 23, 2022 3:26 AM

r241 He says he has a design background which I figured. I think everything in the apartment, modern and sleek while also fits in with the local context.

The apartment absolutely should have had a balcony though, it would be beautiful with the 20 foot window and it would allow him to spend some outdoor time without needing to go down to ground level and mingle with the locals.

by Anonymousreply 245August 23, 2022 3:43 AM

Off course not even Malaysia spared from the usual entitled white Karen refused to wear a mask outside Dior store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246August 23, 2022 3:54 AM

Here he is being interviewed by a rather excitable queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247August 23, 2022 10:03 AM

So he lived in DC before KL but never really landed a good job, just bounced from one to another.

by Anonymousreply 248August 23, 2022 10:35 AM

^Shame he never made any money. Seems like a smart enough guy.

by Anonymousreply 249August 23, 2022 10:54 AM

What art school do we think he attended?

by Anonymousreply 250August 23, 2022 12:21 PM

Taylor could give zero fucks about the 8 Malaysian inventions referenced in the R247 video.

by Anonymousreply 251August 23, 2022 12:32 PM

That, perhaps more than anything, endeared me to Taylor, R251.

by Anonymousreply 252August 23, 2022 1:23 PM

In r247 link, he mentioned he got the visa via MM2H. Man man to homo?

by Anonymousreply 253August 23, 2022 1:37 PM

"Most Americans have never left the country" -- sums it all up.

There's a whole wide world out there, girls. Get your boosters and pack your bags! The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step!

by Anonymousreply 254August 23, 2022 2:46 PM

The local queen interviewing Taylor acts like he is on speed.

by Anonymousreply 255August 23, 2022 4:27 PM

That's gay vocal upspeedtalk. It's quite prevalent amongst the younger generations. It's quite exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 256August 23, 2022 5:08 PM

I think if I were in Taylor's position in Malaysia I'd marry a lesbian (there's no gay marriage) to ensure changing visa requirements don't get me booted out of the country.

He seems very happy there.

by Anonymousreply 257August 23, 2022 5:34 PM

[quote]"Most Americans have never left the country" -- sums it all up.

I'm usually the last to defend American provincialism, but the numbers on this are a bit all over the place. A Forbes piece on a OnePoll survey of 2000 Americans (for luggage company Victorinox) says 40%; a Matador Network poll says 64%; and a Pew Research poll reports it as 27%.

Forbes/OnePoll

[quote]Eleven percent of survey respondents have never traveled outside of the state where they were born.

[quote]Over half of those surveyed (54 percent) say they’ve visited 10 states or fewer.

[quote]As many as 13 percent say they have never flown in an airplane.

[quote][bold]Forty percent of those questioned said they’ve never left the country.[/bold]

[quote]Over half of respondents have never owned a passport. (For years U.S. citizens did not need one to travel to Mexico, Canada and on many cruises, which may clarify the previous stat.)

[quote]But this lack of travel is not always because people don’t want to. Most of those surveyed expressed a desire to travel, with 85 percent saying they like to experience new things, and nearly 60 percent saying they have a list of places in mind they’d like to see.

[quote]In fact, survey results showed 76 percent of the respondents wanted to travel more than they do currently. The reasons they gave for why they don’t are what you would expect: mainly due to a lack of finances or just feeling unprepared and ill-equipped to venture forth into unknown territory.

[quote]More specifically, 63 percent of Americans who have never left the country said an international trip would be out of their price range.

[quote]And work situations and priorities are involved as well: Twenty-five percent said they just can’t find the time to travel, but three-fourths of respondents said they would definitely like to travel more than they do.

[quote]One in 10 Americans surveyed say they have no interest in going anywhere!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258August 23, 2022 7:56 PM

And the Pew results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259August 23, 2022 7:57 PM

[quote]not an icebox like Poland.

LOL

"icebox"

by Anonymousreply 260August 23, 2022 9:32 PM

These travel stats are pathetic, but not surprising.

Travel is, on the whole, cheaper now than it's ever been. It's also much easier to learn about other cultures and the travel process, so one feels less overwhelmed by packing a suitcase and jetting off to a new continent.

by Anonymousreply 261August 23, 2022 10:01 PM

HomeGURL CL Teh @c_kology9 is an ArtistE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262August 24, 2022 1:34 AM

^ CK Teh

by Anonymousreply 263August 24, 2022 1:35 AM

He's cute. I'd give Teh a good pounding.

by Anonymousreply 264August 24, 2022 1:53 AM

Teh should be gagged.

by Anonymousreply 265August 24, 2022 3:02 AM

Currently buzzing in Malaysia: corrupt ex-Prime Minister finally going to JAIL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266August 24, 2022 4:40 AM

OMG, he said on Insta that his next video is making Cream of Sum Yung Guy.

by Anonymousreply 267August 24, 2022 5:22 AM

Khairy Jamaluddin, the Oxford educated, polo-playing Minister of Health

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268August 24, 2022 8:30 AM

A much photoshopped one for some local media

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269August 24, 2022 8:32 AM

[quote]Currently buzzing in Malaysia: corrupt ex-Prime Minister finally going to JAIL

What kind of shit-hole country jails corrupt leaders who commit crimes?

In proper first-world nations, we get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 270August 24, 2022 8:34 AM

Possible future Prime Minister as it’s commonly acknowledged that he handled the Covid crisis very well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 24, 2022 8:34 AM

Currently buzzing in the US...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272August 24, 2022 1:55 PM

R272 Drunk again?

by Anonymousreply 273August 24, 2022 2:00 PM

R272 Stay on point, if you can't keep up with the latest topics, sit down and zip it.

by Anonymousreply 274August 24, 2022 2:28 PM

Taylor has a new Q&A video up! Nothing too juicy, but he mentions that he owns a condo in Florida which he rents out. He also reveals his age as 68. I would have guessed a few years younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275August 26, 2022 2:28 PM

[quote] I would have guessed a few years younger.

R275 = Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 276August 26, 2022 5:05 PM

Yes, I suppose if he needed to he could go back to Florida and live in his condo there but it sounds as if he is determined to stay in malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 277August 26, 2022 9:12 PM

r275 Good to know that he has other sources of income. If push comes to shove, he can sell his Florida condo for his medical expenses, assuming he has no dependents .

by Anonymousreply 278August 26, 2022 9:15 PM

Taylor, if you don't take us clubbing or out in the streets cruising soon we're going to lose interest. Show us the reason you moved from Penang to KL, your boytoy.

by Anonymousreply 279August 27, 2022 8:56 PM

Working that tax deduction for that rental to offset the Youtube income!

Now we know why the humidity of Malaysia is not an issue for him.

And ofter living in Florida, no surprise he wants away.

It's all making sense now.

68 and thriving. Team Taylor!

by Anonymousreply 280August 27, 2022 10:04 PM

Does he pay tax in either country ?

by Anonymousreply 281August 27, 2022 11:23 PM

Unless one has renounced citizenship, one must file a US tax return. One may also be subject to state taxes. An expat may also have to pay taxes in their foreign country of residence. Most relevant factor is whether income is generated in a locale.

For Taylor's situation, Florida does not have a state income tax so he would not be obligated to file a return there. Renting out a condo results in income that is subject to federal taxes (maybe he doesn't owe anything or even gets a refund, but he has to file). I know nothing about Malaysian taxes, but he could apply certain foreign credits and exclusions to his federal return for taxes paid to Malaysia.

Assuming here, it's probably easier for him to not generate any income in Malaysia. Maybe that's why he rents vs. owns (no local property taxes) and his Youtube income is probably linked to a US address.

by Anonymousreply 282August 28, 2022 12:40 AM

Taylor is taxed in the USA on his pensions and condo rental but is not taxed in Malaysia. Will we meet Taylor's boyfriend? I suspect not.

by Anonymousreply 283August 28, 2022 1:06 AM

Probably no BF. Malaysia is still a conservative natiom, and unlike Westerners, not everyone is an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 284August 28, 2022 2:32 PM

Also, you'd be amazed how much income a Youtube channel generates.

My 22 year old niece has a channel of her eating here and there. She gets about $1k a month and she's not eveb "big" in her words.

by Anonymousreply 285August 28, 2022 2:42 PM

I believe he mentioned expats are not allowed to work. So I'm guessing he's not paying any tax? But definitely he still has to pay his Federal tax being a US citizen..

by Anonymousreply 286August 28, 2022 2:49 PM

He's back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287August 30, 2022 2:18 AM

Only $500 per month rental income for his 1 bedroom condo in Florida ?

by Anonymousreply 288August 30, 2022 8:28 AM

R288, that is low. Average Fair Market Rent Price for a one-bedroom apartment in Florida is $864 (source: rentdata.org), and his condo there looks better than average. I assume his $500 figure reflects his profit on the rent after taxes, insurance, maintenance fees, projected vacancy, and other expenses.

He said he owns the Florida place outright, without mortgage, which is a nice bit of security. Interesting that he's been in Malaysia 7+ years but bought the Florida condo 5 years ago and discusses in terms of a fallback option, and that he has a sibling who lives there -- and equally that he doesn't want to return to the U.S. and that is would likewise be untenable on an income of $1500 a month and higher health insurance, medicine, and housing maintenance costs.

by Anonymousreply 289August 30, 2022 10:05 AM

I assumed the 500 a month was the profit after paying the bills on the condo.

by Anonymousreply 290August 30, 2022 12:20 PM

Save his videos in case there is a civil war in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 30, 2022 1:41 PM

[quote] I wonder about when he gets old, who will take care of him?

Does he have a partner? If so, that's a good reason to move there, perhaps even to live out the rest of his life.

[Quote] I can't imagine living in a 3 bedroom apt

He says people don't visit as much as he expected. Lol i can see that happening.

by Anonymousreply 292August 30, 2022 3:09 PM

[quote] Fatty hasn't mentioned the cuisine yet? Because that's what I find most fabulous about Malaysia.

True dat. The mix of Malay Chinese and Indian, like the population, makes it one of favourite cuisines.

[Quote] Filipino cuisine is awful-

I like it. It's pretty simple, quite tribal like, with an overlay of Spanish. Great seafood as you can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 293August 30, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote]He says people don't visit as much as he expected. Lol i can see that happening.

It's the House Hunters International Syndrome. Every American with €650 a month to spend on an apartment in a smart arrondissement in central Paris wants a Haussmann building with balconies, period details, smart furnishings, a home office, an American sized refrigerator and kitchen, 2 bedrooms, and 2 baths, and dead on Eiffel Tower views...because they will be spending so much time entertaining their American friends as houseguests.

In R287's link, Taylor describes the hellish 30+ hour travel time between Kuala Lumpur and the East Coast of the U.S. It would take some devoted friends or some who were really keen to see Malaysia or Taylor to make that trek.

by Anonymousreply 294August 30, 2022 3:45 PM

Why hellish? I'll look up r287. But there are so many flights to Singapore and Bangkok, both of which could be good jumping off pints for KL.

by Anonymousreply 295August 30, 2022 3:49 PM

It can be a very long trip back depending on if the are living near a major airport. It is one thing I miss most about not living in San Francisco. SFO offers great connections to SE Asia.

by Anonymousreply 296August 30, 2022 6:34 PM

Everyone on HGTV raves about entertaining. I had to stop watching because the same fraus make the some wishlist every single time.

It's a sign of "friends" in America - "let's do lunch!" = maybe in 3 years, maybe.

I wonder where all these DLers keep their stable of able-bodied friends and family who will all be ready, willing, and available to give them care when they fall ill.

by Anonymousreply 297August 30, 2022 6:55 PM

He is 100% what I imagine many DLers to be like.

by Anonymousreply 298August 30, 2022 7:11 PM

[quote]I wonder where all these DLers keep their stable of able-bodied friends and family who will all be ready, willing, and available to give them care when they fall ill.

Why not ask that question of the U.S.? Do you think all gay old men in the U.S. 'have a stable of able-bodied friends and family...ready, willing, and available to give them care when they fall ill'? And do most or even many Americans have these resources you note at the ready?

[quote]fewer than 1 in 30 Americans own a long-term care (LTC) insurance policy, and only about 7 percent of adults over 50 [20 oct 2020: "The Collapse of Long-Term Care Insurance,' prospect.org]

The American concept of 'caregivers' is not the same concept/need found everywhere else; it varies country to country reflecting cultural differences and national health care policies. In Malaysia a mid-range annual salary for a long-term carer for the elderly is about $9600; a nursing home is about $560/month (a company that markets to expats cites hourly figures of $6.50-7.50 for certified daily living care and nursing care by licensed local nurses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299August 30, 2022 7:47 PM

Southeast Asia is the most livable region outside Western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 300August 30, 2022 8:58 PM

[quote] Average Fair Market Rent Price for a one-bedroom apartment in Florida is $864.

R289, where in Florida can I rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $864/month? Oh, hell, I'll splurge and go for the $1000/month unit.

Everywhere I see - Miami/Gold Coast, Sarasota/Fort Myers, Tampa Bay area, JAX, rents are well over $1200/month even for small, few-amenities 1-bedrooms.

Want a one-bedroom with central A/C, d/w, w/d connections that was built after 1990? Even more.

I meant this as a rhetorical question. Whenever I see "average rents", they're always hundreds of dollars less than anything I see actually see on the market, let alone anyplace I would want to live (and my requirements are not that stringent).

by Anonymousreply 301August 31, 2022 12:40 AM

So you can only make rental profit of $500 from a 1 br condo ?

by Anonymousreply 302August 31, 2022 2:33 AM

[quote] No one gets charged for what happens in the privacy of your home

Southeast Asians respect and do not interfere in what happens in the privacy of your home behind closed doors. They are culturally less homophobic though current Islamization is making interests into this cultural tolerance.

by Anonymousreply 303August 31, 2022 4:39 AM

There's nothing "current" about the Islamization of Malaysia and Indonesia. If anything, it's Christianity that is the recent intruder.

by Anonymousreply 304August 31, 2022 5:54 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305August 31, 2022 6:32 AM

[quote] There's nothing "current" about the Islamization of Malaysia and Indonesia. If anything, it's Christianity that is the recent intruder.

Buddhism and Hinduism arrived in Malaysia at least 1,000 years before Islam, so Islam, not Xtianity, is the "intruder". Malaysia and Indonesia were conquered/occupied by Muslims in the 7th century and reinforced by Arab/Tamil Muslim traders in the 12th century. From Malaysia, Islam spread to Indonesia in the 13th century. There is some evidence that Xtianity arrived in the 7th century, but it didn't take hold until the Portugese rucked up and introduced Catholicism at the beginning of the 16th century.

by Anonymousreply 306August 31, 2022 6:48 AM

Thanks r306. i was too exhausted to reply to r303 though it was my post he was referencing.

by Anonymousreply 307August 31, 2022 7:05 AM

R306 Neither Malaysia nor Indonesia were ever conquered or occupied by any Islamic armies. It's a widely known fact that Islam came to this country via the business work of tradesmen; some even say that's the reason Malaysian and Indonesian Islam is less sectarian. I don't agree with that, but it's a fact that Islam has been in the region for centuries and for longer than Christianity, which is why talking about the "current Islamization" of those countries is a pea-brained take. That you don't know this shows you're either out of your depth or lying, but in any case, very clearly invested in spitting venom against all Muslims.

As for Christianity, most practitioners aren't even native to the region, they're Han Chinese that European powers implanted in the area with the objective of creating an influential middle-class that was pro-colonialism. It's evident that, between Islam and Christianity, the latter deserves to be called an intruder more.

by Anonymousreply 308August 31, 2022 7:11 AM

Here's how Encyclopedia Britânica describes how Islam came to Malaysia:

"From the 13th through the 17th century, Sunni Islam, carried chiefly by Arab and Indian merchants, spread widely through peninsular and insular Southeast Asia. The new religion offered equal-opportunity social advancement through spiritual devotion, which ultimately challenged (but did not entirely eliminate) the power of the traditional elites; Islam also embodied a complex theology that held much appeal for farmers and merchants in the coastal regions. The dissemination of Islam was intimately linked to the florescence of the great Indian Ocean trading routes that connected China through the Strait of Malacca to India, the Middle East, and eastern Africa."

So r306 is lying. Where are all the conquerers who enforced the religion via occupation? And how would Islam, which itself was born in the 7th-century, have conquered Malaysia, half the known world away, before the century was even over? Muslims hadn't even reached the much closer India before the 10th-century!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309August 31, 2022 7:19 AM

* Britannica

by Anonymousreply 310August 31, 2022 7:20 AM

[quote] Islamic armies . . .

By projecting Western terminology, R308 illustrates no understanding of how Islam spread out of Arabia, through Africa and Asia from the 6th century.

The original assertion at R306 was that Islam was the "intruder" long before Xtianity. And those who foisted Islam on Malaysia/Indonesia were not "native to the region" either. Your very blinkered history illustrates agenda, not knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 311August 31, 2022 7:23 AM

[quote] The new religion offered equal-opportunity social advancement through spiritual devotion, which ultimately challenged (but did not entirely eliminate) the power of the traditional elites; Islam also embodied a complex theology that held much appeal for farmers and merchants in the coastal regions. The dissemination of Islam was intimately linked to the florescence of the great Indian Ocean trading routes that connected China through the Strait of Malacca to India, the Middle East, and eastern Africa."

R309 translation: Islam conquered, subsumed and expelled a millennia of native Buddhist and Hindu culture/beliefs. Just like it did in Afghanistan, Iran, India, etc.

by Anonymousreply 312August 31, 2022 7:30 AM

R311 Islam hadn't even been born in the 6th century. You're so confused about this subject. Here's a lesson for you: Being passionate about your hatred for Islam doesn't make you an expert at its history. As for the rest of your post, the concept of intrusion has an aggressive baggage which doesn't apply to the subject. Conversion to Islam was peaceful and voluntary and did not interfere in the social balance of the region, unlike Christianity, which spread only by converting and importing foreigners in a regime of colonial domination, in a typically European strategy of ruling by dividing. That's intrusion.

by Anonymousreply 313August 31, 2022 7:34 AM

R312 Lol, that's a very schizophrenic exegesis, there, friend. Frothing at the mouth hatred, like the one you feel for Islam, is a bad teacher and will never lead you to knowledge. I've got to ask, considering the unhinged state of your contributions here: are you M. Ansher?

by Anonymousreply 314August 31, 2022 7:39 AM

R308 R309 Afghanistan has always been called "the graveyard of empires". Except for Islam. Muslims conquered/occupied Afghanistan and foisted Islam on the local Buddhists. And ceased to be conquerers/occupiers. Same thing happened in the rest of Asia.

[quote] Islam hadn't even been born in the 6th century

No, it was the 7th century. Quibbling does not make your point.

[quote] the concept of intrusion has an aggressive baggage which doesn't apply to the subject. Conversion to Islam was peaceful and voluntary

I'm sure the native Buddhists, Hindus and anamists across Asia would have a very different reality to yours.

[quote] Frothing at the mouth hatred, like the one you feel for Islam,

One never, EVER questions or - Heaven Forfend! - criticizes Islam. One submits. Silently. See R314 R313 R309 R308 for details.

by Anonymousreply 315August 31, 2022 7:44 AM

Hissing, however, seems to be universal..

by Anonymousreply 316August 31, 2022 9:06 AM

Idk about Malaysia but Indonesia has definitely become more Islamic over the last two decades or so. Women began to wear the headscarf which they didn't do 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 317August 31, 2022 9:15 AM

I like how R306 represents the spread of Islam to Malaysia and Indonesia as a military conquest, but colonialism by Christians as just an "introduction."

by Anonymousreply 318August 31, 2022 10:49 AM

Didn't you two kill the Israeli cocks thread?

Taylor's just trying to generate income for his Youtube channel. Please take your discussion elsewhere so we can help an elderly sister abroad.

by Anonymousreply 319August 31, 2022 4:22 PM

I wonder what Taylor thinks about MH370. He was there. Maybe he's heard some interesting gossip.

by Anonymousreply 320September 2, 2022 3:51 AM

r320.Ask him in the comment section of his videos. He is good at responding?

by Anonymousreply 321September 2, 2022 4:46 AM

I don't know that he'd want to get into a public discussion about MH370. Too political one would think.

by Anonymousreply 322September 2, 2022 5:07 AM

The ex Prime Minister of Malaysia and his wife have very recently been given jail sentences

by Anonymousreply 323September 2, 2022 5:32 AM

Hopefully the former president of the USA will be joining them in prison.

by Anonymousreply 324September 2, 2022 5:36 AM

And he loves cats so clearly must be a DLer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 3, 2022 1:32 AM

Earl Grey is a cute name for his Malayan cat!

by Anonymousreply 326September 3, 2022 6:35 AM

A Japanese expat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 3, 2022 8:27 AM

Interesting, R327, to see cats so broadly favored in Malaysia. They do seem happy and without fear.

by Anonymousreply 328September 3, 2022 8:42 AM

R328: because cats were Prophet Muhammad’s favourite pet

Dogs, on the other hand, have had it much worse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329September 3, 2022 12:47 PM

Doggie fate in Malaysia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 3, 2022 12:50 PM

[quote] Are dogs haram? A look into Hadith.

[quote] Muhammad (saws) said: “A dog owner who does not keep it for the purpose of protecting the fields or herd will lose out on his good deeds equal to one Qirat every day.” [According to Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

[quote]’He who maintains a dog other than to defend his property (lands) or his flock of sheep shall have his good acts equal to two Qirat subtracted every day,’ the Prophet (saws) is said to have declared in another narration of Muslim.

[quote]A qirat is defined in the following Hadith. “What are two Qirat?” the question was posed to the Prophet. “Equal to two massive mountains,” he said in response. Bukhari and Muslim have both cited it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331September 3, 2022 12:58 PM

^ 😂😂 religious dicta are so absurd. How can anyone read these with a straight face?

by Anonymousreply 332September 3, 2022 1:13 PM

R330 those dogs killed were diseased, you shithead

by Anonymousreply 333September 3, 2022 2:48 PM

Taylor really does need to show us how a 68 year old expat enjoys himself in KL.

by Anonymousreply 334September 3, 2022 8:06 PM

Show us your rent boys, Taylor. Let's get realz.

by Anonymousreply 335September 3, 2022 8:24 PM

Yeah, their healthcare is just as good as their Malaysian Airlines!

by Anonymousreply 336September 3, 2022 8:30 PM

what I want to know is consumer rights. Do you have any there? If Doctor operates on wrong part of body, can you sue for medical malpractice?

by Anonymousreply 337September 3, 2022 8:32 PM

Property rental: Minister admits discrimination exists, says ‘very awkward’ to have law upholding landlord’s right to preference

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338September 3, 2022 8:35 PM

There is a lot of discrimination when renting in Asia. and it's all legal.

by Anonymousreply 339September 3, 2022 8:36 PM

There is a lot of discrimination in the USA even if it is illegal. Try being black and renting an apartment sometime.

by Anonymousreply 340September 3, 2022 8:41 PM

at least in the USA, you have laws to protect you. You don't even have that over there.

by Anonymousreply 341September 3, 2022 8:44 PM

Laws to protect you? Please. At the most a landlord is fined. Then what? You move into a place where you're not wanted? No.

by Anonymousreply 342September 3, 2022 8:58 PM

R342,moving to a place where you're not wanted? Malaysia hates gays....yet you still want to go. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 343September 3, 2022 9:02 PM

We don't LOL here.

Read the thread to come to understand why retiring in Malaysia is a sensible option for some. Even for gays.

BTW, Malaysia Air is right near the top of best international carriers in terms of safety standards and record.

by Anonymousreply 344September 3, 2022 9:45 PM

Malaysia Air ranks near top too in terms of most fatalities worldwide!

American Airlines: 858 fatalities

China Airlines: 760 fatalities

Korean Air: 586 fatalities

Air India: 542 fatalities

Malaysia Airlines: 537 fatalities

Japan Airlines: 520 fatalities

Ethiopian Airlines: 407 fatalities

Air France: 347 fatalities

Pakistan International Airlines: 311 fatalities

by Anonymousreply 345September 3, 2022 9:55 PM

White people will never understand racial discrimination in the USA. The laws that will protect blacks seldom do when it comes to finding accommodations. Americans should never turn their nose up to other countries when it comes to discrimination. It isn't any picnic here trying to rent when you are black.

by Anonymousreply 346September 3, 2022 10:08 PM

R345. Can you provide your link? I'd be interested to read more.

by Anonymousreply 347September 3, 2022 10:13 PM

R347, just google, very simple.

by Anonymousreply 348September 3, 2022 10:19 PM

It's not uncommon for expats to seek housing through recommendations of other expats or through larger estate agencies or with the advice of a lawyer. Unfamiliarity with nuances of language, contracts, and common practices can make it difficult for a foreigner to know if the landlord's/seller's instructions on deposits and terms are legally correct. Landlords may not want the perceived hassle of dealing with a tenant unaccustomed to local ways or may fear language misunderstandings,etc. Expats, then end up selecting from a narrower range of choice - on part to avoid discrimination of an expanded scope.

by Anonymousreply 349September 3, 2022 10:19 PM

R346, try going to Asian countries when you're black, you'll be hated even more. They either think you're NBA player, rapper or drug/gang member.

by Anonymousreply 350September 3, 2022 10:20 PM

[Quote]just google, very simple.

No not so easy. There are thousands of pages on the subject. I want to see your source or this never happened.

by Anonymousreply 351September 3, 2022 10:40 PM

And where is the link where they rated that shit airline is tops in the world??

by Anonymousreply 352September 3, 2022 10:48 PM

Nobody I know flies that shit airline, Singapore airlines is waaaayyyy better

by Anonymousreply 353September 3, 2022 10:49 PM

[Quote]And where is the link where they rated that shit airline is tops in the world??

You may have noticed - or not - that I noted it was from the Washington Post.

by Anonymousreply 354September 3, 2022 11:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355September 3, 2022 11:18 PM

[quote] White people will never understand racial discrimination in the USA

A black friend and i were out by Bloomingdale's going uptown together after work. It was during rush hour and we decided to hail cabs on opposite sides of the road. It was the brutal Midtown ruthlessness as usual and it took a while for either of us to flag a cab down.

Yes, all the cabs passed him by. Cabs stopped near me but fraus with Big Brown Bags grabbed them from me. Finally I got one. My friend froggered over and hopped in.

It was an awkward ride together that day that I will never forget.

by Anonymousreply 356September 3, 2022 11:52 PM

"[R346], try going to Asian countries when you're black, you'll be hated even more. They either think you're NBA player, rapper or drug/gang member."

And that is exactly how black people are treated like in the USA. When I walk down the street people will cross to the other side because they are afraid of me.

by Anonymousreply 357September 4, 2022 12:52 AM

R357, no they are not. I live in a major city and people don't cross the street when they see a black person.

you're a troll

by Anonymousreply 358September 4, 2022 3:42 AM

Can Taylor go to Cat Beach?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359September 4, 2022 6:33 AM

Love your videos Taylor! You said in one of them that you had expected your friends to come visit you but that it hasn't happened as you expected.

How many have visited you? What did they think of KL? Do you miss your friends back home? Do you have expat friends?

by Anonymousreply 360September 4, 2022 7:56 AM

All of those ‘where to retire” lists you see online don’t apply to us unless you plan on staying closeted, single and asexual. It’s AYOR girl. There’s a group on FB that reminds me of the cluelessness of theism guy called ‘Where Do Gays Retire’. It usually doesn’t allow people to talk about anti-gay politics or laws in the destinations discussed (especially if it’s Florida).

by Anonymousreply 361September 4, 2022 7:57 AM

Sex is less important for a retiree

by Anonymousreply 362September 4, 2022 8:43 AM

[quote]All of those ‘where to retire” lists you see online don’t apply to us unless you plan on staying closeted, single and asexual. It’s AYOR girl.

I have a certain weakness for lists of places, infographic maps showing statistics by country, and best and worst cities/countries for expats, best budget conscious places to retire, etc., but these "best places" lists always have a bias and, if you're like me, it's usually weighted the wrong way. "Best gay cities" lists may be weighted to reflected size of annual pride events and legally mandated restroom access for transgender people. "Cheapest countries to retire" may skew to some very American standards that maybe meant little or nothing to the American in question, e.g.: cost of owning a car, housing with a garage, cost of a standard Burger King meal. "Best cities for expats" may be geared to temporary corporate job transfers. The Economist's annual "Global Livability Rankings" have a great many criteria all dutifully explained but in the end people are looking for the criteria that match their own needs, their own interests, their own lives -- some select fraction of criteria.

In any case, the biases for these lists are standard issue and by necessity. The best that even the best of these might offer is to spur someone to investigate Malaysia or Mexico or Portugal or Argentina or Austria in more detail. Anyone who whisks off to a unknown country ready to start their new life in retirement in a new country had better not care about anything but the one criterion that landed the place in some hastily cobbled together top ten list. Different people, different gay people even, want different things in where they live or move or retire.

by Anonymousreply 363September 4, 2022 11:49 AM

Racism in Asia are generally towards other Asians or worse : blacks . As an elderly white man he will never have that issue as everybody will be nice and accommodating to him.

by Anonymousreply 364September 4, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote] All of those ‘where to retire” lists you see online don’t apply to us unless you plan on staying closeted, single and asexual

All of those ‘where to retire” lists you see online don’t apply to anyone who is not an upper-middle to upper class WASP. Fixed that for ya.

I'm fine with that. Can you imagine spending your last days with such a bunch? I'll my chances somewhere exotic and different.

by Anonymousreply 365September 4, 2022 8:24 PM

[quote]All of those ‘where to retire” lists you see online don’t apply to anyone who is not an upper-middle to upper class WASP.

R365: Taylor, then, of the Tampa, Florida Taylors, would you say he is upper-middle or upper class WASP? Fox hunting adjacent? or ancestral riding pinks in his Kuala Lumpur closet?

by Anonymousreply 366September 4, 2022 10:31 PM

Taylor doesn't seem to be in the closet. he mentioned he moved to KL for love which he referred to as a "he."

Here is a video from a gay Malay couple. They don't seem to be hiding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367September 4, 2022 11:02 PM

I prefer Buddhist countries.

by Anonymousreply 368September 4, 2022 11:57 PM

[quote]All of those ‘where to retire” lists you see online don’t apply to us unless you plan on staying closeted, single and asexual. It’s AYOR girl.

How old are you, "girl"? If you retire in your mid-to-late 60s, as most people do in the real world (as opposed to retire-at-50 fantasies), those things are probably not terribly important to you anymore. If you're single, you're probably going to stay that way whether you want to or not.

"Closeted"? Unless you have some compulsion to put rainbow flags on your door, it doesn't matter because when you're old, you're pretty much invisible. "Asexual"? Ha ha. If you're still having sex at 65+, well, good for you. If sex is still central to your life post-65, I feel sorry for you. I guess you should have tried to develop some interests beyond the next fuck when you were younger, because that's all you're going to have in your old age.

You kids under 60 have absolutely no idea how much your life is about to change. It isn't a bad change if you can go with the flow. If you don't care much about sex, you don't miss it. If you were weren't Mr Gayer-Than-Thou before, why would you change? And, see above. If you're single at 65, you're single for the rest of your life. Maybe lightning will strike and you'll meet someone, but most likely not. If you've reached that age and are single, you're probably OK with being single. There's a point, somewhere after 55 - it differs from person to person - when the things that seemed essential when you were 40 don't really matter much anymore.

TL;DR: Anyone of actual retirement age who's still obsessed with sex and finding a husband and who can't be discreet about their sexual orientation is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 369September 5, 2022 12:06 AM

It would be easier for a retiree to find a young partner in KL than in US I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 370September 5, 2022 2:28 AM

Best post r369. Right on the spot with

[Quote] If sex is still central to your life post-65, I feel sorry for you

which is true of someone i know. And he is slowly going down down down because he

[Quote] should have tried to develop some interests beyond the next fuck when you were younger, because that's all you're going to have in your old age.

And yes, after 65 you have

[Quote] absolutely no idea how much your life is about to change. It isn't a bad change if you can go with the flow.

No, not at all. I developed a whole new career and I'm "in the Flow". But there was a bit of planning in my case, and one major decision to take my life in a new direction, and that was to adopt a new enhanced purpose in life.

The rest, as you say, flowed.

by Anonymousreply 371September 5, 2022 2:33 AM

R364: so true

by Anonymousreply 372September 5, 2022 12:41 PM

Not true. Many Asians especially the Chinese consider Westerners barbarians

by Anonymousreply 373September 5, 2022 10:50 PM

[quote] Yes, all the cabs passed him by

And WHY do you think that happened, R356?

by Anonymousreply 374September 6, 2022 2:27 AM

Taylor released a new video telling us all the fun things to do in KL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375September 6, 2022 3:11 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376September 6, 2022 3:38 PM

Gay bars/discos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377September 6, 2022 10:10 PM

Do you think Taylor puts his dancing shoes on and heads out to cut a rug?

by Anonymousreply 378September 6, 2022 11:20 PM

He said he sings in a choir 😮

by Anonymousreply 379September 7, 2022 12:32 AM

R375 OH BROTHER - the IWA !!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 380September 7, 2022 12:41 AM

Do Mr. Gay Asian's rules apply in KL ? Do the local Asian boys there crave white meat?

by Anonymousreply 381September 7, 2022 1:24 AM

I wonder if Taylor is a top?

by Anonymousreply 382September 7, 2022 1:27 AM

I think Taylor is a sweetie. He looks like he is having fun.

by Anonymousreply 383September 7, 2022 11:02 AM

68 is still young. Taylor's making memories to last a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 384September 8, 2022 2:09 PM

OnLy on DL is 68 young.

by Anonymousreply 385September 8, 2022 8:50 PM

And he is back with another. Taylor gets a haircut!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386September 10, 2022 1:32 AM

Tay Tay looks like he could make a mean Daiquiri and then toss your salad.

by Anonymousreply 387September 10, 2022 1:45 AM

He keeps saying "we" but doesn't reveal his partner—is this a strategy to keep us coming back?

by Anonymousreply 388September 10, 2022 1:46 AM

He's a queen, so he's using the "royal we."

by Anonymousreply 389September 10, 2022 1:47 AM

I enjoy his videos but I'm glad he keeps them short because his life looks crushingly boring to me. He has breakfast out—he drives to the mall, gets a haircut, eats at Subway—he has dim sum—he buys a ticket to a movie that sounds one rung above straight-to-video. The scenery looks like any city in a warm climate. At least Nicolas Fairford takes us to bookstores in Edinburgh in between skin care tutorials.

by Anonymousreply 390September 10, 2022 2:35 AM

I thought "we" referred to Tay and his cat frankly, but he did say in an earlier video that he moved from Penang to KL for love so he's got someone. I want to see his young twink rentboy partner.

by Anonymousreply 391September 10, 2022 2:42 AM

It doesn't seem like the most glamourous life but I suspect it is better than what he would have in the USA on his budget. I guess that is what old people do too. Go to malls and eat.

by Anonymousreply 392September 10, 2022 2:48 AM

Taylor, there's magnificent musical theatre in KL. Smuggle us in there svp. Chinese opera is fabulous, too.

by Anonymousreply 393September 10, 2022 2:55 AM

mojito yum

by Anonymousreply 394September 10, 2022 3:10 AM

R390 sounds like a good life in retirement to me.

by Anonymousreply 395September 10, 2022 3:49 AM

He's got a peaceful life. No worries about getting shot while grocery shopping or at the movies, or getting thrown onto subway tracks, or attacked by a deranged person on the street, etc. Plus Malaysians are very friendly people.

And air tickets to visit other parts of the region are ridiculously cheap, like 50 bucks to some other major cities.

If he's got security, a partner, a hag (he said he does) and friends what's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 396September 10, 2022 4:07 AM

[quote]I enjoy his videos but I'm glad he keeps them short because his life looks crushingly boring to me. He has breakfast out—he drives to the mall, gets a haircut, eats at Subway—he has dim sum—he buys a ticket to a movie that sounds one rung above straight-to-video.

That is my exact plan for life in retirement, except that I don't eat breakfast. What's so interesting about it is that Taylor's life is identical to the life he would probably lead in the US - since every one of these activities, including dim sum, are not only readily available here but common practiced by old people as well - except he's doing it for less money.

Does he have a car? Do apartments in KL generally come with parking? How expensive is gasoline?

by Anonymousreply 397September 11, 2022 10:37 PM

R397: He has a motorscooter, and I think he said has is about $5 a month for gas, and insurance is $10 or so.

He mentioned in one video that most newer apartment buildings have parking. (Though why would you want a car if you live in the city?)

by Anonymousreply 398September 11, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote](Though why would you want a car if you live in the city?)

Ever been to L.A.? K.L. strikes me (from his videos) as somewhat like L.A.

by Anonymousreply 399September 11, 2022 11:00 PM

Another plus about Malaysia is that elders are respected. It's not uncommon to refer to elders even outside the family as uncle or auntie.

One won't encounter a group of teenagers calling out "old fart/fuck" or "hurry it up, grandpa" while you're going about your business.

by Anonymousreply 400September 11, 2022 11:15 PM

No need for a car in KL being they have a very good Metro and bus system. Depending on the area you can walk most places. Plus Uber (or Grab as it is called in Malaysia) is very cheap.

by Anonymousreply 401September 12, 2022 12:03 AM

R339 is right. Besides, sometimes it's nice to get out of the city on your own, not dependent on public transit or accompanied by dozens of strangers on a train (so to speak). I understand not wanting to drive around in a crowded central city. I do not understand having no desire ever to visit the countryside or resort towns that call out for exploration. Even many New Yorkers have cars despite the expense and lack of need in much of the city.

by Anonymousreply 402September 12, 2022 12:03 AM

^^^ is for R399.

R401, not everyone who has a car strictly NEEDS one. Sometimes, we own cars because we WANT one and the freedom it provides, for which there is no substitute, regardless of how cheap Uber is or how extensive and efficient the subway system.

by Anonymousreply 403September 12, 2022 12:06 AM

Auntie Taylor on a pink scooter is a Pleasant picture that comes to my mind's eye.

by Anonymousreply 404September 12, 2022 12:06 AM

R403, Okay, so when you move to KL buy a car then.

by Anonymousreply 405September 12, 2022 12:08 AM

People who need to have a car that they don't need for the freedom to have what they want, goddamnit, and go on pick-your-own apple outings to the Malaysian countryside whenever the urge strikes them are not good expat material.

by Anonymousreply 406September 12, 2022 12:10 AM

One insuperable problem with Malaysia is the armpit problem. Men's armpits, that is. Being Muslim, they probably shave them, which is tragic. No sight of hairy male armpits, even at the gym or on the beach? Pass.

And also, aren't the men in that part of the world modest about displaying their bodies? Yes, it's true that young American men have also become quite prudish, but I can't help but think men in a Muslim country are even more likely to button up.

by Anonymousreply 407September 12, 2022 12:10 AM

If you want hairy there is always the Indian population. Or Chinese but they are not very hairy. Malaysia is only about 60 per cent Malay.

by Anonymousreply 408September 12, 2022 12:12 AM

R406, probably true. That's one reason why many of us Americans prefer to live here (or Canada or Australia or some other car-oriented country).

On the other hand, while I've never been there, I'll bet they have quite a traffic problem in KL, suggesting that Malaysians themselves - those who can afford it - like to own cars as well.

by Anonymousreply 409September 12, 2022 12:13 AM

[quote] Auntie Taylor on a pink scooter is a Pleasant picture that comes to my mind's eye.

With his caftan flapping in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 410September 12, 2022 12:30 AM

Fair point, R409. Car ownership rates in Malaysia are 47th highest in the world (361 per 1000 in 2014) vs. USA as 3rd highest (797 in 1000.) I've never been either, but a matter of fact acceptance of frequent traffic accidents and dangerous driving feature prominently in the English language descriptions if the place.

I know the American ideal if car ownership and freedom of the open road. But having left that attitude for a city where only occasionally might I even consider taking a bicycle for anything short if a train or plane ride, I wonder how enthusiastic American retirees would feel taking up driving on the left side of the road, highways interwoven and overlaid upon other highways with exits for exits? Maybe it's less "free" but also less stressful to not structure life around getting "across town" constantly, at least not by car.

So much of American car freedom seems to be trips to TJ Maxx and Olive Garden strip malls, or a 7 hour drive between cities because the 50 minute flight costs $650 round trip with a month's advance purchase, no train, and buses that seem filled with people headed to or from jail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411September 12, 2022 12:54 AM

If servants are so cheap, you could just have four burly guys on staff to carry you around in a sedan chair.

by Anonymousreply 412September 12, 2022 1:33 AM

The population in KL is less than 2M.

[Quote]The inefficiency in public transport services has added to the troubling issue of traffic congestion and parking issues in Kuala Lumpur.

Auntie Taylor was wise to opt for a Vespa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413September 12, 2022 5:09 AM

Perodua cars made in Malaysia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414September 12, 2022 7:00 AM

[quote]I just looked up Malaysia on a map

And you were shocked *SHOCKED* to find it wasn't in Europe?

by Anonymousreply 415September 12, 2022 8:20 AM

[quote]One insuperable problem with Malaysia is the armpit problem. Men's armpits,

Sweetie: absolutely no one moves to Asia for the men.

It's like saying people don't move to Tangier for the boys.

Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 416September 12, 2022 8:24 AM

Asians don't smell. For pits and BO you need to go to Indians or whites.

by Anonymousreply 417September 12, 2022 8:40 AM

[quote]Asians don't smell.

In you dreams! Like anyone else they can stink to high heaven!!!

by Anonymousreply 418September 12, 2022 8:49 AM

Nah, Stinky, they don't have apocrene glands. No smell. Nada.

by Anonymousreply 419September 12, 2022 8:52 AM

You need to give up smoking. They can smell of rank fish soy and dozens of other odours. The idea that asians don't smell is a wildly racist peddled fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 420September 12, 2022 9:00 AM

R420. Read a bit about apocrene glands and the studies carried out by race primarily re skin ageing. R419 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 421September 12, 2022 10:01 AM

FFS. It's very well known racist asians use the "we don't stink" schtick in the same way racist blacks use the "black don't crack" schtick. Fact is – as any non-asian who has spent time in asia will tell you, asians can and do smell. Often very strongly. I've even had to swap seats on a train due to it. Enough of such insulting racist shit!

by Anonymousreply 422September 12, 2022 11:56 AM

^^ read the studies with empirical evidence and you will learn both are true.

by Anonymousreply 423September 12, 2022 1:10 PM

R420- I must disagree because- Once you go Asian you never go back to CAUCasian.

by Anonymousreply 424September 12, 2022 1:19 PM

Suggestions that asians are paragons in the odour dept just because they they have less sweat glands are pure crap. In years of travel, I've winced more at the smell of some asians than peoples traditionally associated with being 'fragrant'. Although plenty of horror stories there too. ALL human bodies SMELL. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 425September 12, 2022 1:33 PM

Everyone can smell but SE Asians typically run to a shower if they start getting a bit funky. When I lived in Bangkok my Thai boyfriend showered three times a day. Indians are another story but they didn't have a history of deodorant use like Americans. If you are on the metro in Bangkok and smell body odor you always know and non Thai is near.

by Anonymousreply 426September 12, 2022 1:37 PM

It's not racist to talk about race particularly in the field of medicine where it's imperative to know as much as possible about human biology to provide patients with the best possible care.

It happens to be a medical fact that Asians overall have far fewer apocrine glands than other races.

by Anonymousreply 427September 12, 2022 1:54 PM

I'm going to block everyone on this thread who persists in talking about BO instead of the delights of retiring to Malaysia and Taylor's videos thereon. I have stated my boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 428September 12, 2022 8:24 PM

Asians don’t smell as much as hairy white guys

by Anonymousreply 429September 12, 2022 10:39 PM

A frou-frou piece abt an interracial gay couple [Malaysian Chinese and American] and their restaurant

A glimpse of the Gay UpperCrust in Malaysia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430September 12, 2022 10:50 PM

And Taylor rides a bus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431September 12, 2022 11:45 PM

A light, lifestyle piece, R430, but interesting, I thought, especially the idea of preserving some traditional Malaysian cuisine and tradition in a city where a certain flashy newness is revered (the locations for two of their restaurants.) And also the idea that sometimes it's an outsider and someone who has been away and returned to see the qualities of a place.

by Anonymousreply 432September 13, 2022 12:01 AM

I'm surprised no one commented about the vast difference in hotness between the two men in R430's story.

by Anonymousreply 433September 13, 2022 1:08 AM

He loves his food

by Anonymousreply 434September 13, 2022 8:20 AM

A great retirement. Even the bus beats anything in the West.

by Anonymousreply 435September 13, 2022 8:51 AM

R429- I'm a HAIRY White guy and my body odor smelled like a submarine sandwich- with oil and vinegar, salami, ham, provolone, onions. lettuce , tomato, mayonnaise , mustard.

by Anonymousreply 436September 13, 2022 2:14 PM

R433: to me they’re about the same in attractiveness

Genuinely curious: Who do you think is hotter?

by Anonymousreply 437September 13, 2022 2:42 PM

R437 can’t compare apple with orange

by Anonymousreply 438September 13, 2022 9:26 PM

I've been to Malayfrica.

by Anonymousreply 439September 13, 2022 9:58 PM

(Andy) Taylor is the perfect caballero to establish and manage the DL retirement home in KL. Shady Palms.

by Anonymousreply 440September 14, 2022 2:59 AM

He looks like an old pervert who is there to buy underage rent boys.

by Anonymousreply 441September 14, 2022 3:19 AM

441, you are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 442September 14, 2022 3:24 AM

R441 has a perverse mind. Nor can she find KL on a map.

by Anonymousreply 443September 14, 2022 3:40 AM

R443 I am sure you can. And every alley to buy the little boys in.

by Anonymousreply 444September 14, 2022 3:51 AM

Aren't you clever frau insinuating all gay men are pedos.

by Anonymousreply 445September 14, 2022 3:57 AM

Yes, gay people have spent years convincing straight people that we are not all pedos and then r441 comes along. What a nasty little faggot he is. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 446September 14, 2022 5:14 AM

R441 is female. Another interloping incel frau loitering on a gay site.

by Anonymousreply 447September 15, 2022 8:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448September 15, 2022 11:18 AM

Taylor discusses a bum gun.

by Anonymousreply 449September 17, 2022 1:37 AM

And here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450September 17, 2022 1:38 AM

Is this Taylor our BILL TAYLOR,BLESS?

by Anonymousreply 451September 17, 2022 7:29 AM

Love the latest vid. Practical observations.

by Anonymousreply 452September 17, 2022 8:01 AM

I do wish bum guns were common in the USA. They are great for a clean up pre Anal.

by Anonymousreply 453September 17, 2022 4:08 PM

When I was in Malaysia, even the fancy high end malls had some squat toilet stalls next to the Western-style toilet stalls. Not my cup of tea, but I do like the bum guns...even better than a bidet.

by Anonymousreply 454September 17, 2022 4:18 PM

Squat toilets work so well if you are wearing a sarong. In Dl's case I guess a kaftan would do.

by Anonymousreply 455September 17, 2022 4:24 PM

How do you dry yourself after applying the bum gun (= hose), especially when the toilet paper is kept outside the stall?

by Anonymousreply 456September 17, 2022 4:27 PM

I just drip dry after use.

by Anonymousreply 457September 17, 2022 4:35 PM

It sounds as if the bum gun provides cold water only though. Quite jarring.

Taylor climbing the curb. Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 458September 17, 2022 5:47 PM

In that climate, the water is probably never very cold.

by Anonymousreply 459September 17, 2022 6:28 PM

[quote]How do you dry yourself after applying the bum gun

Rapid twerking

by Anonymousreply 460September 17, 2022 6:28 PM

I suspect a burst of cold water from a bum gun would clean you better than toilet paper does.

by Anonymousreply 461September 17, 2022 6:34 PM

Bum gun = surprise anal 😲

by Anonymousreply 462September 17, 2022 8:47 PM

The bum gun works best when you step in the shower right after. Actually tp also works best when you step in the shower right after. Also keeping your hole shaved is best for both bum guns and tp. And for rimming, but after the shower.

by Anonymousreply 463September 17, 2022 11:02 PM

If you're stepping into the shower immediately after crapping, what's the point of either a bum gun or toilet paper?

by Anonymousreply 464September 17, 2022 11:11 PM

^^ As someone who actually practises this, i don't like to have extraneous fecal matter in my shower that I'm standing in. Though i don't use as many wipes as i do if I'm not getting in the shower right after.

by Anonymousreply 465September 17, 2022 11:28 PM

Tis a truth oft told, every dL thread ends in shit.

by Anonymousreply 466September 18, 2022 12:19 AM

So he often heard gun shots from his condo in Florida ?

by Anonymousreply 467September 18, 2022 1:20 AM

R465, there is no "extraneous fecal matter" to stand in, if you step into the shower after pooping, unless your shower drain is clogged.

by Anonymousreply 468September 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Someone ought to tell him clothes dryer is not the ‘green’ way to go

by Anonymousreply 469September 18, 2022 2:20 AM

,[quote,]Someone ought to tell him clothes dryer is not the ‘green’ way to go

Average daily humidity in Malaysia is 75% to 95%, which doesn't bode well for drying racks. Also, he lives in a loft apartment and who wants to look at heir Hawaiian shirts hanging on drying racks in an apartment with a lot of volume but little floor area?

I live in Southern Europe where everyone hangs clothes on roof terraces (and in the summer they dry in minutes in the dry intense heat and sun.). I couldn't deal though with drying racks loaded with socks and underwear in the small flats and houses in the UK, or with those terrible combo washer/dryers that take 7 hours to clean and sort of dry a shoebox size load of clothes. I'd have a dryer in Malaysia if I could do.

by Anonymousreply 470September 18, 2022 2:48 AM

I love this old queen. He’s just so pleased with himself, but in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 471September 18, 2022 3:31 AM

R470 Dryers are not environmentally friendly

by Anonymousreply 472September 18, 2022 3:45 AM

I once lived in Thailand and never ever saw a dryer. Maybe they have them now.

by Anonymousreply 473September 18, 2022 3:47 AM

[quote] [R465], there is no "extraneous fecal matter" to stand in, if you step into the shower after pooping, unless your shower drain is clogged

Whether they clog or not, since you don’t know my shower, and I don’t know yours, nor our mutual showing procedures, i prefer not to have to deal with extra fetal matter on other parts of my body. Just my personal choice, my personal eww standards.

by Anonymousreply 474September 18, 2022 6:29 AM

Tay Tay shows some travel slides

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475September 21, 2022 11:10 AM

Our Taylor could use some help picking out some new shirts.

by Anonymousreply 476September 21, 2022 10:01 PM

No sexcapes ?

by Anonymousreply 477September 21, 2022 10:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478September 21, 2022 11:34 PM

Should we on DL offer to give Taylor a make over? I'd start with the shirts. Maybe make them longer so they could double as a kaftan.

by Anonymousreply 479September 22, 2022 12:13 AM

Andrew named his Vespa Vicky. He is always the card that Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 480September 24, 2022 9:00 AM

Ko Lanta at R475 is where they film the French version of [italic]Survivor.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 481September 24, 2022 9:10 AM

Ugh. That face at R478 is even uglier than the two at R448...but then I see it's the very same people. Faces for radio. The man has what must be the very definition of ¨punchable face.¨ And besides being rough to look at, the hosts' nervous, jittery, utterly stupid banter is worse than dentistry. How can these two have130,000+ Youtube followers?

by Anonymousreply 482September 27, 2022 6:52 PM

Architecture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483October 8, 2022 5:21 AM

Taylor is wearing that scooter out going from house to house.

by Anonymousreply 484October 8, 2022 9:52 AM

Can't say that I would move to Kuala Lumpur for the architecture. The modern skyscrapers make an impression but the houses in Taylor's neighborhood are more curious than attractive. I expected better if what he described as Colonial and 1960s styles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485October 8, 2022 10:09 AM

The big SE Asian capitals may have a few novelty buildings but mostly are dull or deteriorating. Taylor's wardrobe makes him seem like the most cliched doddering old expat in the region---don't ever change.

by Anonymousreply 486October 8, 2022 2:43 PM

Penang

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487October 16, 2022 7:40 AM

Our very own discovery continues to make videos. I wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 488October 16, 2022 7:52 AM

[quote]Wait, so serious question...could Taylor (clearly not his real name...no white male of his age would've been named Taylor) and his partner be arrested/ratted out for having homosex relations inside their loft? He's made his location very known.

Who says he’s a gay? If they come to arrest him he could always deny it.

by Anonymousreply 489October 16, 2022 8:24 AM

Taylor does ping just a bit doesn't he?

by Anonymousreply 490October 16, 2022 9:11 AM

Not to me.

by Anonymousreply 491October 16, 2022 11:02 AM

R491 = Helen Keller

by Anonymousreply 492October 16, 2022 11:36 AM

Taylor is wearing that pooter out going from house to house. Fixed it for you R494

by Anonymousreply 493October 16, 2022 11:37 AM

… and thats R484

by Anonymousreply 494October 16, 2022 11:38 AM

His name is Andrew Taylor. He goes by Taylor.

I enjoy his vids. They've gotten better with time as well. It's obvious he's gay for many reasons but at the same time he's not blatant about it even though he interviews every queen in town.

by Anonymousreply 495October 16, 2022 3:35 PM

He's doing pretty well for a 68-year-old newbie to content creation. He has a couple decades on me and I don't have the patience to learn anything about video editing.

by Anonymousreply 496October 16, 2022 5:34 PM

Taylor has ads running now so yes, he's doing well.

I'm very surprised that one can eat as much as he does at a meal in a resto for a bit over $1.00 US. And the meals look verynice.

by Anonymousreply 497October 18, 2022 2:52 AM

Taylor clearly likes food.

by Anonymousreply 498October 18, 2022 3:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499October 20, 2022 5:48 AM

CLEARLY!

by Anonymousreply 500October 20, 2022 5:55 AM

So he just picked up and moved to Malaysia? Did his wife go with him? What about his kids? They’re probably grown already and have their own lives.

by Anonymousreply 501October 20, 2022 6:19 AM

[quote]this whole idea of finding a cheap foreign country to retire is ridiculous.

R6, If you want to live in the US where there are more than 400 millions guns, have at it. Many would find that a ridiculous choice, but it's yours to make.

by Anonymousreply 502October 20, 2022 6:27 AM

Yes, I prefer Malaysia over retirement in the USA. Any sane person would. And I bet Taylor gets plowed nicely every night.

by Anonymousreply 503October 20, 2022 10:18 AM

R502

And at least 50,000,000 idiotic Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 504October 21, 2022 12:11 AM

It costs way more than a dollar to get a good meal in SE Asia. Taylor is bullshitting you.

by Anonymousreply 505October 27, 2022 2:52 AM

I was eating on the street I Bangkok last week for a little more than a dollar. I am not sure it would qualify as a good meal by dl standards but I found it fine.

by Anonymousreply 506October 27, 2022 7:51 AM

No, Taylor is not bullshitting about the prices he pays in restaurants. But notice he doesn't fine dine.

by Anonymousreply 507October 27, 2022 7:59 AM

New York Style in Malaysia for Under $500!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508October 27, 2022 8:27 AM

Taylor is back with a brand new video showing us how to make Mac and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 509November 2, 2022 3:44 PM

Reminds me of maury chaykin in entrapment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510November 2, 2022 3:51 PM

Here Taylor does his best Simply Sara impersonation while demonstrating how to make the perfect mac 'n' cheese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511November 2, 2022 5:58 PM

Get out of the kitchen and back into the streets, Taylor

by Anonymousreply 512November 3, 2022 10:31 AM

There was recently a raid conducted by the religious police with backup from the police in Kuala Lumpur at a gay Halloween party. The assistance police commissioner has said that he vows to step up operations and inspections at clubs suspected of promoting homosexuality

by Anonymousreply 513November 19, 2022 4:17 AM

Will our Taylor be thrown off a building wearing only his nightgown?

by Anonymousreply 514November 19, 2022 12:19 PM

R513 link it or this never happened.

by Anonymousreply 515November 19, 2022 1:35 PM

Here's the link. Because Miss Taylor is not Muslim he doesn't have to worry about any of this.

The husbear's gay uncle said the cops used to raid gay clubs in LA in the 70s when he was a gayling using a fake ID. Scared him to death. I guess Malaysia is about 50 years behind in this respect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516November 19, 2022 1:47 PM

SE Asian food is so good, I can't imagine eating mac & cheese, let alone ordering it in a restaurant there. His recipe doesn't really save a step--you make a roux with the cream cheese instead of butter and flour and there's no mustard.

by Anonymousreply 517November 19, 2022 3:59 PM

R517, no matter how delicious a cuisine is, there are lots of people who don't want to eat it all the time. In fact, modern Americans so are accustomed to having different cuisines available all the time, I think they would get especially tired of having the same type of food night after night.

Also, if you live far from home, you crave homelike things just because they remind you of home. Mac and cheese is about as homey as you can get, and it tastes great. Why wouldn't an American abroad want to make it from time to time?

by Anonymousreply 518November 20, 2022 9:12 AM

I have an Asian roommate who eats rice every day for dinner, but he's an excellent cook and everything tastes so good. However, I can't do rice more than 2-3 times a week. I need variety.

by Anonymousreply 519November 20, 2022 10:35 AM

He's posted a wonderful biographical video.

This is NOT TO BE missed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520November 20, 2022 12:50 PM

Then and now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521November 20, 2022 1:13 PM

I liked that video about his life. He’s a sweet guy. His life hasn’t been anything extraordinary, but most lives aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 522November 20, 2022 2:07 PM

He was a hot clone in the 70s! He cops to having had a 23-year relationship, but is very coy indeed when it comes to pronouns.

by Anonymousreply 523November 20, 2022 7:16 PM

I didn't realise Mart Crowley died....in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 524November 20, 2022 11:15 PM

A visual merchandiser at Garfinkel's in Washington DC. I'm sure I saw some of his work from the time frame he describes. Agreed, he's a sweet guy, with a life and career that echoed the time and especially a lot of gay men of the time, shifting gears more than a few times in a way that might seem unusual today.

I like his description of making a clean break, selling home and contents and moving to the other side of the world and finding a happy situation for himself. It fits with the theme of career changes and relocations and making a place for oneself.

by Anonymousreply 525November 20, 2022 11:18 PM

What can lapsed DL icon Nicolas Fairford learn from Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 526November 20, 2022 11:28 PM

Time is a cruel mistress …

by Anonymousreply 527November 20, 2022 11:40 PM

[Quote]And that is exactly how black people are treated like in the USA. When I walk down the street people will cross to the other side because they are afraid of me.

Where exactly does this happen? Live in a town in Jersey and never notice people doing this

by Anonymousreply 528November 20, 2022 11:57 PM

the only thing he asks is that people thumbs up his videos and subscribe - so I hope people have been doing just that.👍

by Anonymousreply 529November 20, 2022 11:59 PM

A window dresser at Garfinkel's---they had been run into the ground by changing ownership. It wouldn't have been a surprise. By then, window displays weren't much of a thing.

by Anonymousreply 530November 21, 2022 12:31 AM

[quote]Time is a cruel mistress …

Many of his peers probably did not make it to old age. I'm sure he had plenty of fun in his prime. Now he seems happy living his simple retired life in a country he loves.

by Anonymousreply 531November 21, 2022 5:17 AM

His 70s pix remind me of the old pix we see of gays of that period in Amsterdam, SF and NYC. He had the LOOK and he was a cute twink with a hairy chest.

He sounds like a nice guy. I hope he teases us with a pic of his current partner.

Taylor, maybe put him the background of one of your outdoor scenes without referencing him. We'll be discreet.

by Anonymousreply 532November 21, 2022 3:18 PM

[quote]Taylor, maybe put him the background of one of your outdoor scenes without referencing him. We'll be discreet.

I wouldn't advise it. Taylor has reason to be reasonably discreet. Whatever the difference between law and enforcement, I wouldn't commit to public record anything that might possibly present difficulty in some future situation, in a political climate that could change from turning a blind eye to making an example of bad foreign influences. Stranger tides have shifted.

by Anonymousreply 533November 21, 2022 3:39 PM

^ Imagine choosing to live in a country where you'd have to deal with all that.

by Anonymousreply 534November 21, 2022 3:46 PM

The morality czars of Malaysia would have to be blind and deaf not to tell that Taylor is gay. Must be a don't-ask-don't-tell situation.

by Anonymousreply 535November 21, 2022 3:48 PM

[quote]^ Imagine choosing to live in a country where you'd have to deal with all that.

Imagine living in a country where mass murders regularly occur in gay clubs, schools, supermarkets, etc.

by Anonymousreply 536November 21, 2022 4:21 PM

One day you have actual rights (like marriage) and the next the big law makers are threatening to take it away. How could people live like that??

by Anonymousreply 537November 21, 2022 4:42 PM

[quote]A window dresser at Garfinkel's---they had been run into the ground by changing ownership. It wouldn't have been a surprise. By then, window displays weren't much of a thing.

Preaching to the choir, hon.

by Anonymousreply 538November 21, 2022 5:09 PM

I imagine Taylor's partner to be something like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539November 21, 2022 7:00 PM

Tayor D'Hutt is a feeder to his husband Jabba.

by Anonymousreply 540November 21, 2022 7:03 PM

^^^ damn, that didn't work. I'm too high to post.

by Anonymousreply 541November 21, 2022 7:03 PM

R520- I can see him as a character on an episode of the Golden Girls 👧

by Anonymousreply 542November 21, 2022 7:17 PM

I bet the partner is a cute young local

by Anonymousreply 543November 21, 2022 8:25 PM

Christmas in the tropics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544December 14, 2022 9:59 PM

Our Taylor continues to have a madcap adventure proving there is life after 60.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545February 4, 2023 6:23 PM

Why not retire to Vietnam instead? Vietnam is more gay friendly than homophobic Malaysia. Stay away from Muslim countries.

by Anonymousreply 546February 4, 2023 6:27 PM

Viet Nam does not offer a retirement visa. Until recently Malaysia had a good one.

by Anonymousreply 547February 4, 2023 6:49 PM

My friends' parents bought property in Vietnam and now live there most of the year. That's one way to get in.

by Anonymousreply 548February 4, 2023 8:04 PM

I have been loving Taylor's videos thanks to the DL! I think having the backup condo in FL makes all the difference to this story. If he had no home base in the US, it might seem like a bit more of risky decision. It looks like he grew up quite wealthy inherited from his grandparents. His parents built a massive, beachfront home on the sand that looks like it eventually was sandwiched between 2 high-rises. The house was gated, on a lot of prime land. It looks like he might have some family money.

by Anonymousreply 549February 5, 2023 1:15 AM

Is Malaysia a good place for medical tourism? I foresee a neck lift in my near future.

by Anonymousreply 550February 5, 2023 2:03 AM

If your looking to get a pussy put in Bangkok is probably a better choice. A pussy will run you about 10K there plus you can eat Thai food while recovering.

by Anonymousreply 551February 5, 2023 2:41 AM

So basically, all his talk about thrift is a bit of humble bragging.

by Anonymousreply 552February 5, 2023 12:58 PM

I couldn't help but think of our dear BILL TAYLOR, another avid cruiser.

by Anonymousreply 553February 5, 2023 1:23 PM

R546, Vietnam is a much poorer country than Malaysia (GDP per capita $3,800 vs $11,100 in Malaysia). While you can live a life not that different from the West in Malaysia, living in Vietnam is like living in any developing country - you'll be the rich American, enjoying a standard of living far above the locals even on your meager Social Security and pension/savings. This appeals to some people (sounds great to me), but others prefer a more modern and affluent society.

by Anonymousreply 554February 5, 2023 10:58 PM

[quote]In a market video he mentions he's a fan of Hellmann's mayo. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Oh no he's not "high class."

by Anonymousreply 555February 6, 2023 12:36 AM

Taylor is on the Spectrum and cruising!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556February 6, 2023 11:48 PM

Thailand is better for medical tourism. Specialists usually are boarded in the US or UK.

by Anonymousreply 557February 7, 2023 2:39 AM

New video - Taylor shows us the ropes of using public transport in KP with his friend.

His personality is so DL. I think he's great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558February 12, 2023 6:29 PM

Beverly Hills in Kuala Lumpur

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559March 7, 2023 5:27 AM

Will our Taylor take us to the Hollywood of KL next?

by Anonymousreply 560March 7, 2023 12:50 PM

"I just LOVE bougainvillea, don't you?"

by Anonymousreply 561March 7, 2023 12:52 PM

Taylor does The Chow Kit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562April 14, 2023 11:20 PM

anyone else wanna kick him in his nut sack?

by Anonymousreply 563April 15, 2023 12:06 AM

^^^ jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 564April 15, 2023 12:13 AM

I love Taylor. He's so low key campy and bitchy, yet I love how adventurous he is. I am not impressed with the Chow Kit, especially how rude they were about the second night. Chow Kit - you will not have my business when and if I ever travel to KP, which is doubtful because I only go to countries where the men are fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 565April 15, 2023 7:15 AM

omg! Tay is gonna get mugged! He lives in a slum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566September 6, 2023 12:09 AM

don't irritate tay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567October 28, 2023 12:48 AM

R33- I spent an entire weekend at home STUFFING my face.

Ben And Jerry’s was involved.

by Anonymousreply 568December 2, 2023 12:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!