Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What was it about Elvis that women loved so much?

It seems like every woman who came into contact with Elvis immediately folded for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 29, 2022 2:13 AM

The lady in this video (Susan Henning) said she broke off her engagement to her fiancé after finding out she was going to work with Elvis. They had an affair.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2022 3:01 PM

Undeniable talent, looks (at least when younger), and swagger. Plus money.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2022 3:03 PM

Women loved Elvis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2022 3:07 PM

Yeah - but he never fucked Priscilla - except the once …

Nick Adams, however ….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2022 3:08 PM

A smoothness, sex appeal. The fame and money probably helped.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2022 3:16 PM

Only someone who had never seen Elvis in his prime could ask a question like that.

Jailhouse Rock, 1957.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2022 3:17 PM

Another example: Jane Elliot said she wasn’t an Elvis when they worked together on Change of Habit because she was a snob but that changed when they worked together. The director confirmed they had a romance and when asked about it in an interview Jane said, “I’m not gonna tell you we didn’t sleep together.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2022 3:20 PM

wasn’t a fan*

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2022 3:21 PM

Look at what they had in real life. At least Elvis was clean, didn’t belch or fart in front of them., and wore a clean shirt.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2022 3:28 PM

Sex appeal for days.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2022 3:35 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2022 4:16 AM

Did he fuck them or just rub around on them like he did me?

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2022 5:58 AM

guess that's why he only had 1 kid.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2022 6:30 AM

Women want to fuck the person that all the other women want to fuck. It's an evolutionary phenomenon. It explains why every single woman I know under the age of 40 has become obsessed with Harry Styles in the past three years. It's a form of social contagion. 5 girls think he's hot, then 10, then 100, then 5,000, and so on. And now a bunch of straight guys are wearing pearl necklaces and painting their nails black to look like him. It's cringey as hell.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2022 7:09 AM

Charisma

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2022 7:10 AM

He had a small dick and was sensitive. Straight guys always pressuring for butt sex. He probably didn't and if he did. She didn't feel it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2022 7:24 AM

R12 Rita you slut. You were smoking hot. Probably intimidated the poor guy. He wanted to sing Gospel and you were spread eagle on the bed.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2022 7:47 AM

R14 same thing happened with Bieber. And women over 40 love Harry Styles also

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2022 1:33 PM

Fame. It's like getting with one of the Kardashian chicks in today's world.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2022 1:35 PM

Elvis was gorgeous and very talented. He is not like the Kardashians

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2022 1:54 PM

I get the appeal of young Elvis. Not so much with Harry and Justin.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2022 5:11 PM

I get why girls screamed over him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2022 5:12 PM

You don’t need social contagion to explain the Elvis phenomenon. He was a beefy hunk with a delicious mouth and a deep voice who was openly sexual during a time when that was unusual, which would have made women feel he would do things with them that they weren’t supposed to want but secretly did.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2022 5:21 PM

R23 Definitely agree, he's handsome and incredibly attractive on his own. I'm just saying this cult like obsession of Elvis, and a new straight guy in showbiz every few years can be blamed on social contagion. Women MY AGE (20s) still think Leonardo DiCaprio is hot NOW. It's a big difference between gay men and women that I noticed lately. If you ask a room full of gay guys who their favorite male celebrity is, you'll get 50 or 60 different answers. If you ask a room full of women, it'll be the same 5 guys: Leo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Harry Styles, Justin Bieber and Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2022 7:03 PM

He was gorgeous when he was young, had a beautiful, velvety and powerful voice, broke societal rules by being overtly sexual on stage and was unattainable - he had all the elements that women find desirable. By extension, men wanted to be him for exactly the same reason, and that only increased his already enormous popularity.

Regardless of what might be written about him, it is undeniable that he possessed a great talent that was mostly wasted on sub-standard material and awfully bad films, and was one of the first teen heartthrobs (and unlike most teenage heartthrobs, he was actually handsome). The fact that he died relatively young only contributed to magnify his mystique and increase his appeal as a tragic figure. And that, just as it happens with Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, is what lies behind the adoration that so many people still feel for him.

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2022 7:13 PM

R24 I disagree, Leo has been getting dragged a lot on social media for aging poorly. I mostly see women thirst after his 90’s looks. 2000’s Leo is barely acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2022 9:13 PM

R25 Great comment

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2022 9:14 PM

I just watched Elvis on Amazon Prime. I still don’t go to movie theaters. Anyway, what a great movie. I blame Prescilla and his father for not helping him get the care he so desperately needed. He was only 42 when he died. Everyone around him treated him like a work mule. Drove him right into the ground. What a sad story.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 3:36 AM

He (poorly) imitated Black men.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 4:17 AM

Bedroom eyes. Sultry voice. Full lips. Lush hair. Tall. Sexy hip moves.

Gee, what was Elvis's appeal?

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 5:41 AM

R28, You blame PRISCILLA?!

Elvis was a grown man, FGS! And divorced.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 5:46 AM

He was gorgeous and he ticked the bad boy box. Those reasons alone cause female adoration. Add to that international fame, real talent, incredible wealth and....duh!

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 6:09 AM

He had that most deliciously elusive "It" factor. I think so much can be summed up in that fantastic video that, for me, never gets old which r6 posted. He is just so fucking sexy.

Fun fact, if you watch it closely, you will see that they used an old school trick of putting white paint on the toes of his shoes (and other parts of his shoes but mostly his toes) to accentuate his moves even further.

God he was hot in that, and of course the....subject matter certainly doesn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 6:25 AM

His hips.

Women love men who know how to move their hips when they dance.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 6:34 AM

It was his interpretations of George Eliot and Proust, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 6:44 AM

R29 Idk, I know Elvis emulated black artists and got so famous because he was a white man doing black music, but he had a certain it factor in films like Jailhouse Rock and King Creole that I don’t think can be denied. Or even in his concert special Elvis: That’s The Way It Is.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 7:19 AM

As far as I know, Elvis was open about his influences and rejected being called the king of rock n’ roll.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 7:20 AM

Muhammad Ali loved Elvis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 7:31 AM

And having shown Elvis's exact same hip movements---swiveling, thrusting, punctuating---and having, in real life, full lips, lush hair, come-hither gray-blue eyes, height (6'), a beautiful smile, and a sweet singing voice, is why the latest portrayer/incarnation of Elvis, Austin Butler, will eclipse current stars of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 1:19 PM

R31 Prescilla had her hands in his wallet just like all of the rest. She gets her fair share of the blame. And Lisa Marie has smoked/snorted what was left of Graceland.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2022 6:07 PM

MONEY. He was pretty good looking for a millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2022 6:56 PM

This answers your question...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 7:06 PM

The pretty girl in OP’s clip, Susan Henning, has had an interesting life. She was also Hayley Mills’s photo double in “The Parent Trap”.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2022 7:15 PM

The gyrating?

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2022 7:17 PM

This single photo captures Elvis Presley’s appeal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2022 6:09 AM

Many zoomers on TikTok are swooning over Elvis thanks to the new movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2022 6:16 AM

R46 He was stunning. It hurts to think about what he looked like at the end of his life.

by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2022 6:19 AM

It was those swiveling hips...

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2022 6:34 AM

Cybil Shepherd had an affair with him while she was with Peter Bogdanovich. She said Elvis smelled better than any man she’d ever met. She also said she taught him a few things in bed.

Cybil said Elvis asked her to live with him. He loved that like him, she was Southern. She said the only thing that stopped her was his addiction to pills. She said in every other way, he was wonderful. She went back to Bogdanovich.

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2022 6:45 AM

What a maroon!

by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2022 7:20 AM

Elvis was one of those rare men who have it all: looks; sultry voice; beautiful smile; a generous heart; hip moves for days; commanding height; charisma; danger; shyness; humbleness; undeniable talent; sex appeal; and, and this IS NO SMALL THING,....

Androgyny. Eye makeup; deep necklined lace shirts tied at the waist; jewelry; soft and slim body (for the longest time).

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2022 7:34 AM

R51 So true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2022 3:21 PM

Dionne Warwick on Elvis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2022 3:24 PM

Why, OP? Because he loved his mama.

by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2022 3:53 PM

Often I’ve found that it is wealth and fame that people find attractive about rich and popular celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2022 3:54 PM

That's a wonderful story from Dionne at r53, about the autographed photo and her album sales. He was very generous, he must have known that his gesture would be meaningful for a black female singer in Vegas in the 60s. And people say he was racist?

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2022 4:08 PM

R55, Girls and women went nuts over EP way before he was famous beyond Memphis and rich beyond motels and PB&B.

What's your explanation for his extraordinary longevity in our popular culture, while innumerable others of "wealth and fame" have come and gone in our collective memory?

And not simply longevity, but lasting, like MM, as an eternal SEX SYMBOL. NOTHING to do with any "wealth and fame" and EVERYTHING to do with, well, with what I noted in r51.

That, and his relatively early demise at 42. Marilyn (whose mother also was a Gladys) was 36, James Dean 25, and in "Elvis" are plot points of the assassinations of MLK, Jr, 39, and RFK, 42. They are cultural touchstones still.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2022 6:06 PM

Gays and straight women have different ideals for the perfect man. Not always but usually. Elvis embodied what straight women wanted and what straight men wanted to look like.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2022 9:08 PM

Celebrity worship is old as dirt. People become deeply attached to any entertainer who has amazing charisma and can move them emotionally. Elvis had the it factor, could sing, had looks and was the face of a new type of sound and modern youth subculture. Musically I find talented but not really my jam. But I understand the impact he had on pop culture. I don't find him physically attractive at all but his looks were definitely appealing to women.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2022 9:14 PM

Despite what people, Elvis had crazy charisma and star power. This scene looks like something out of a movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2022 10:16 PM

Despite what people say*

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2022 10:16 PM

I wish he got to star in better movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2022 10:16 PM

As the Colonel notes in the movie, "He was as good as Brando. But you didn't want to see him in movies where he didn't sing."

And then added, "I made him the highest paid actor in Hollywood history."

Art v. Commerce.

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2022 2:26 AM

Thank you, r52! Those are some awesome photos you found!

Here's a July review of "Elvis" that I just found which mentions Elvis's femininity and how he (and Brando and Dean) "offered America a new masculinity."

The terrific assessment of Austin Butler is tasty icing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2022 7:07 PM

"I wish he got to star in better movies."

Me, too, but that's an odd film clip to link to, r62. King Creole is actually a good movie.

I think Elvis' films are underrated (though maybe that's not quite the word I'm looking for...._). Anyway, most people who say they're terrible have never even seen one.

King Creole and Jailhouse Rock hold up as entertaining films. Viva Las Vegas is campy, goofy, colorful fun, about 100x more entertaining than most movies made today. Watch it with a group of friends and a pitcher of margaritas and see if you don't agree.

People from other countries where Elvis films appear regularly on TV are often puzzled by Americans' knee-jerk reaction to Elvis movies. It'd be like arriving in a foreign country where everyone just keeps saying Bugs Bunny is total unwatchable trash, but no one has ever actually sat down and watched a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 65August 28, 2022 6:13 PM

R65 I also like Girls! Girls! Girls and It Happened at the World’s Fair.

by Anonymousreply 66August 28, 2022 6:19 PM

I also like Loving You, Blue Hawaii and Follow That Dream, r66.

by Anonymousreply 67August 28, 2022 6:27 PM

Elvis seems like he was a snooze in the sack. That is why he liked 14 year old girls with zero experience. He didn’t even want to fuck Priscilla anymore after she had their daughter.

by Anonymousreply 68August 28, 2022 6:30 PM

Well, clearly, he had something, because Priscilla still adores him to this day, as does every other woman he was with.

by Anonymousreply 69August 28, 2022 6:39 PM

I was born in the Pleistocene- 1961.

The first time I ever saw Elvis I was a girl. Our local TV showed one of his terrible movies.

He was the most beautiful human being I ever saw. Then, add in his voice and moves.

I couldn't take my eyes off of him. And since then, no other performer has equaled that first, and lasting, impression.

I adore Austin Butler's perfoance in "Elvis". He has earned every accolade.

Still, I do agree with one critic who said that Butler didn't capture (and NOBODY could) the air of dangerous virility and masculinity of Elvis, paradoxically, made all the more stark because of Elvis's use of eye make-up and fashion, things conventionally, and wrongly, perceived to be feminine.

Elvis was unreal.

by Anonymousreply 70August 28, 2022 7:04 PM

performance

by Anonymousreply 71August 28, 2022 7:05 PM

Nice post, r70. Do you happen to remember the movie?

by Anonymousreply 72August 28, 2022 7:07 PM

R69 I think that’s probably why he hasn’t been “canceled” for his more questionable behavior. None of the women who’ve spoken out about Elvis said he took advantage of them or anything negative about him really.

by Anonymousreply 73August 28, 2022 7:08 PM

R68 Barbara Leigh said Elvis was a great lover. She gave birth before she met Elvis so I guess it’s not true that he didn’t have sex with mothers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 28, 2022 7:10 PM

R73 Another thing, Elvis’ female costars adored him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2022 7:11 PM

No, r72. I do know it was one made in color which was superfluous and made Elvis's appearance only more garish, and I use "garish" in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2022 7:11 PM

Fat uncut cock?

by Anonymousreply 77August 28, 2022 7:17 PM

He was a beautiful rock and roll animal, and had everything that matters in bucketloads. He still has a besotted following 45years after his death. Very few entertainers can claim that.

by Anonymousreply 78August 28, 2022 7:18 PM

I see, r76. Parts of "Loving You" are pretty "garish" in the sense you mean. It almost reminds me of an over-the-top Bollywood film. I wonder if that was the one you saw. He was certainly gorgeous in it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 28, 2022 7:19 PM

I think Elvis’ movies capture his one of a kind charisma best. A lot of people write him off as a culture vulture today, but I don’t think that’s necessarily true. You watch any (decent) movie he starred in and it’s clear why he became a star. He had that it factor and that star power.

by Anonymousreply 80August 28, 2022 7:19 PM

I can't ever get over the Jailhouse Rock clip. It is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 81August 28, 2022 7:50 PM

R68, And Elvis was a voyeur of the teens more than a doer, if he did at all (doubtful). He was no Jimmy Page, let's put it that way.

by Anonymousreply 82August 29, 2022 1:27 AM

I think, Della/r70, that Dictator, I mean Director Baz Luhrmann might have reined in Austin.

Here is Austin in a very brief rehearsal, singing "Heartbreak Hotel"/"JR":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2022 1:49 AM

Here's a side-by-side of "HH" from the '68 CS.

Austin even got the shaky hand/fingers wrapping around the mic down. He mentioned in interviews how he and Elvis were nervous, betting their careers on their respective performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2022 1:57 AM

It's called being rich and famous

by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2022 1:58 AM

He had a gorgeous smile and very blue eyes with black eyelashes and black hair. I realize he probably wore mascara and his natural hair color was blondish but he also seemed very charming. I was never a fan and he was more of the generation of teens right before me so he was kind of before my teen years. I thought he looked really gorgeous in his 1968 special.

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2022 1:59 AM

A mash-up of "Trouble," Austin singing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 29, 2022 2:04 AM

And this clip skips the 2nd stanza, but includes the end. Again, Austin is singing. This is also on the soundtrack CD.

A comparison with Elvis in "King Creole"* evidences how accurate is Austin's vocal, even if the scenes are radically different (Baz is being creative for the essence). Plus, Elvis, singing on the top of a bar on a wager? I don't get "dangerous" or even feral therefrom.

*Not linked here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 29, 2022 2:10 AM

Elvis, "Trouble":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 29, 2022 2:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!