Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Young Republican Lez: THE GOP LIED TO ME! I THOUGHT THEY ACCEPTED GAYS

And of course, despite all that, she's still with them. Dumb dyke.

I knew I was conservative long before I knew I was queer. A natural contrarian, I always wanted to color outside the box. I had little respect for authority, and a deep desire to challenge mainstream thought and opinion. As an Obama-era kid, it was clear to me even as a child that there was an “approved” way of thinking—which was largely held by the Democratic Party and mainstream media.

Because of this, I knew the Democratic Party was not for me at the age of 12.

Even as a child, I believed in relentless freedom, American exceptionalism, and the promise of our country. That’s what drew me to the Republican Party. Growing up in New Hampshire, I was surrounded by politics, and our GOP leaders were traditionally moderate Republicans who cared little about social and culture war issues, despite the temptations of a rabid activist base.

When I was 18, I interned for New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte on Capitol Hill in the second-to-last year of her term, as she was beginning to position herself as a moderate voice on issues like LGBTQ rights. In 2014, the message appeared to be quite clear: Gay marriage is a dead issue and Republicans are moving on.

Perfect.

I later studied at Mount Holyoke, a women’s college with a majority queer and gay population. I didn’t consider myself queer then, likely due to my roots as a contrarian and a constant opponent of the collective. In fact, attending Mount Holyoke influenced me into become even more conservative—and I myopically connected queerness exclusively with leftism.

But barely a few months into my freshman year, I was launched into the political arena. A state representative seat had opened in my hometown and local GOP activists were encouraging me to run for it. I obliged and ran as a “liberty” Republican (something fairly unique to New Hampshire), promoting limited government, school choice, and opposing tax increases. To the surprise of many (including myself), I won—instantly becoming one of the youngest elected officials in the country at 19 years old.

I became increasingly and deeply involved in the GOP—as a state delegate, working on campaigns, and attending endless rubber chicken dinners. I allowed the GOP to become a large part of my personal identity.

And then at 20 years old, as an elected Republican politician, I came to realize that I was definitely not straight.

But I didn’t feel as though my association with my party would conflict with my sexual identity. In fact, as I continued to expand my network of queer people, I found that many shared a lot of my core political values. I found myself working to convince these people that they should be open to voting Republican.

Of course, most declined, due to the GOP’s fairly recent history of making opposition to gay marriage a campaign issue. But I tried to assure the skeptics that, as of June 2015, the Supreme Court had made permanently resolved the gay marriage issue—making it the law of the land.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2023 8:23 PM

[bold]I became more assured that Republicans had embraced gay marriage in 2016 when Donald Trump held a pride flag on the campaign trail.[/bold]

This was something that no GOP presidential candidate had done before… ever. Whatever you think about Trump, this was clearly a sign that Republicans were moving in the correct direction. And then, of course, was the gay tech billionaire Peter Thiel’s rousing speech at the 2016 Republican National Convention, where he not only endorsed Trump but said, “I’m proud to be gay,” to rapturous applause.

And in 2020, that support appeared to be even stronger during President Trump’s reelection campaign. There was palpable energy behind the Log Cabin Republicans and other conservative LGBTQ groups. Heck, even Caitlyn Jenner became a Fox News contributor, being one of the first transgender people to appear as a commentator on Fox ever. Gay voices like Tammy Bruce, Dave Rubin, and Rob Smith were becoming increasingly popular in the conservative movement.

These pundits were making the case for the Republican Party and a second term for President Trump. Now, not even two years later, the right has started an all-out anti-gay panic that seriously threatens marriage equality.

Conservatives are hurling insults at innocent gays online. The majority of House Republicans voted against codifying gay marriage at the federal level. Supporters of marriage equality have been accused by Republican candidates of “sexualizing kindergarteners” and being “groomers.”

What happened over the last decade? Is it no longer politically convenient to be pro-equality?

When I ask my more conservative colleagues about this, they point to examples of gender theory being taught in schools. They point to videos from accounts like @LibsOfTikTok and promote the false narrative that LGBTQ people are out to get their children. Even admitting there can be legitimate concerns about some of the more extreme examples, it’s clear I was wrong to believe LGBTQ equality was a “dead issue.”

The conservative-dominated Supreme Court has shown, in overturning Roe v. Wade, that there’s no precedent they won’t reverse.

And yet, even now, gay conservative political pundits like Dave Rubin say there’s no real divide between conservatives and gays. I can’t help but laugh at this.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2022 8:54 PM

Not only did members of the far-right radical fringe call for Rubin’s execution when he announced that he and his husband were expecting, but more mainstream conservative political figures and outlets like Allie Beth Stuckey, Jenna Ellis, the National Review and The American Conservative also denounced the couple’s decision to have a baby via a surrogate.

And just recently, conservative Daily Wire host Michael Knowles said, “If Pete Buttigieg and Chasten can be married, then marriage has no concrete meaning.”

What year are we living in? Weren’t these same conservatives celebrating gay Trump voters 15 minutes ago?

And how are the Log Cabin Republicans pushing back against this radical turn? They aren’t. Instead, they’re cheering for the 47 Republicans who supported marriage equality, without acknowledging that a quarter of the Republican caucus is not a victory.

I’m 26 years old, but I’ve already seen a lot while working in politics. I still believe the right has the majority of correct ideas, but radical conservatives are putting all of these issues in jeopardy by pushing bigotry and reigniting a culture war battle that conservatives like myself were assured was firmly in the past.

Senate Republicans have the opportunity to right the wrongs of the majority of House Republicans. They have an opportunity to show the Republicans stand for freedom and family. And we only need 10 of them to join Democrats and pass the Respect for Marriage Act. It’s time for the GOP to reject the prejudices of the past, tame its extremist elements, and commit to freedom for all Americans regardless of their sexual identity.

This is a defining moment and a defining issue for the party. If Republican senators do not rise to the occasion, the conservative movement will have traded its soul—support for individual rights—to appease a backward-looking minority of its base.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2022 8:56 PM

Dumb ass cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2022 8:57 PM

And as if it wasn't clear she's a fucking moron. Please, leave LA hon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2022 8:57 PM

Boo-fucking-hoo, worthless delusional POS dyke.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2022 8:59 PM

I had little respect for authority....so I became a Republican

WTF? Republicans are the authoritarian party

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2022 9:01 PM

What did she think was going to happen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2022 9:01 PM

tl;dnr

Why are you unhappy dear? Were you planning on getting an abortion? Or getting married?

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2022 9:01 PM

Someone with right-leaning views has the option of becoming independent/unaffiliated and then voting for candidates on an individual basis. Guess she values the party bullshit more than she does her own dignity.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2022 9:02 PM

R8 nutshell: she thought the GOP had moved beyond hating gay people and she is SHOCKED! SHOCKED!

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2022 9:04 PM

I'm not interested enough to read that whole missive, but she's obviously a dumb cunt. Cunts gonna Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2022 9:04 PM

what a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2022 9:05 PM

"Donald Trump humped a rainbow flag! Homophobia is over!"

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2022 9:08 PM

I love when conservative activists see no issue with living in LA.

Please...leave.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2022 9:09 PM

Seriously, what a fucking idiot. R12 beat me to it, but it just bears repeating.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2022 9:10 PM

I stopped reading after a few lines. A contrarian is all you need to know right there. Nothing else.

So, she doesn’t like an approved way of thinking yet MAGA won’t let you say one negative word about Trump and you have to believe what they believe. She really is a dumb fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2022 9:14 PM

The extremist element IS the mainstream GOP, sweet pea. Take your head out of Sarah Huckabee's pussy and see the light.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2022 9:16 PM

Where does she live? I'd like to send her the world's tiniest violin.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2022 9:23 PM

R18 LA, of course. She needs to move to a conservative utopia, like Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2022 9:25 PM

[quote]Not only did members of the far-right radical fringe call for Rubin’s execution when he announced that he and his husband were expecting…

I don’t get it. Why didn’t he and the husband just adopt a puppy?

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2022 9:36 PM

Stop with the casual use of “dyke”. It’s not clever. Just homophobic. And this is a gay site. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2022 9:41 PM

Gay Twitter responds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2022 9:50 PM

^^That expression on his face says it all.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2022 9:51 PM

I always thought lesbos had lots of common sense.

Obviously, I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2022 9:58 PM

I'm truly knackered after reading her manifesto.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2022 10:03 PM

Aw, gee. I just wanted to be one of the Boys!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2022 10:07 PM

People who describe themselves as contrarians are to be avoided at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2022 10:07 PM

Sometimes people aren’t even smart about their own best interests. It’s naïve at best.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote]I became more assured that Republicans had embraced gay marriage in 2016 when Donald Trump held a pride flag on the campaign trail.

I’m equal parts shocked, amazed and amused that an actual adult human being really fell for his obvious stunt.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2022 10:17 PM

She could do what so many other gay Republicans do, and hop onto the anti-trans bandwagon. Instant respect!

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2022 10:18 PM

A natural contrarian with little respect for authority was drawn to a bootlicking authoritarian party?

She's a fucking idiot and she thinks everyone else is too.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2022 10:24 PM

Yes, they really are that stupid

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2022 10:47 PM

Republicans. Lying.

Gee, what a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2022 10:50 PM

Donald Trump humps the stars and stripes: HE'S A PATRIOT!!!

Donald Trump touches a rainbow flag: HE LOVES GAYS!!!

Donald Trump holds a Bible (upside down): HE'S A CHRISTIAN!!!!

The fact that they fall for these empty hollow gestures. They're worse than Anne He he in a car.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2022 10:51 PM

R33 it was! I thought homophobia was over!

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2022 10:51 PM

[quote] a conservative utopia, like Kentucky

Do all conservative utopias have a Democratic governor, R19?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2022 10:55 PM

I've met four gay people in the six years I've lived here in Deplorable Haven, FL, and three of them are Republicans who love Trump (the fourth one has a husband who loves Trump). And there's a lesbian couple, methheads, who I haven't met or spoken to (can you blame me?) who probably love him too.

Of course, I just met another black man (I met an angry black male Republican a couple of months ago who works for the Forest Service) who accused me of being a racist because I thought he was a Democrat (silly me! I thought he had a brain!). He is a staunch Republican and thinks the Nazis who support Trump are planted by liberals.

Living in this country is getting scarier every day.

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2022 12:48 AM

[quote] I believed in relentless freedom, American exceptionalism,

Lol how embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2022 1:14 AM

Democrats couldn’t even get 10republican senator’s to say they agree with gay marriage that should tell you everything.

by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2022 1:24 AM

[quote]Even as a child, I believed in relentless freedom, American exceptionalism, and the promise of our country. That’s what drew me to the Republican Party

Even as a child I was a DUMB BITCH.

There. I fixed it for her

by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2022 1:29 AM

She probably still calls them FREEDOM FRIES

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2022 1:31 AM

I think this twat will soon realize that American exceptionalism also means “everyone deserves civil rights EXCEPT you, and you, and you…”

by Anonymousreply 42August 11, 2022 3:59 AM

Someone needs to slap this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2022 4:11 AM

When your only principle is reflexive contrarianism...well. I can only hope she gets what she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2022 5:35 AM

[quote]Supporters of marriage equality have been accused by Republican candidates of “sexualizing kindergarteners” and being “groomers.”

She was making her case and then she threw in this straw man that wasn't necessary. She appears to be referring to Florida's K-3 law, which has nothing to do with the right to marriage. She could have addressed both marriage equality and the Florida law, but to conflate them makes her seem more dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2022 5:46 AM

“Reflexive contrarianism”… so she’s been in her “terrible twos” her entire life.

by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2022 5:47 AM

I fucking hate these troll threads.

by Anonymousreply 47August 11, 2022 5:53 AM

I can see where she got misled. Just because I only recently stopped using the word FAGGOTS!!!! to describe sodomites, doesn’t mean I was a bigot for over forty years.

by Anonymousreply 48August 11, 2022 6:02 AM

^You're not funny. You're nothing.

by Anonymousreply 49August 11, 2022 6:06 AM

^SODOMITE!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50August 11, 2022 6:09 AM

I told her THEN, so that I wouldn't have to tell her NOW.

by Anonymousreply 51August 11, 2022 10:44 AM

Her sexuality or gender has nothing to do with the fact that she is simply a fuckwit.

by Anonymousreply 52August 11, 2022 10:58 AM

Well, that was a waste of effort.

You just a need a good man to sort you out.

by Anonymousreply 53August 11, 2022 12:03 PM

The pathetic part is the author really believes this.

by Anonymousreply 54August 11, 2022 12:38 PM

No, the pathetic part is when you confront these buffoons with their stupidity, they want to talk about how "unwelcoming and non-inclusive the gay community" is.

by Anonymousreply 55August 11, 2022 12:55 PM

[quote]I had little respect for authority...it was clear to me even as a child that there was an “approved” way of thinking

"...which is why I support a political party that is based on authoritarianism and groupthink."

by Anonymousreply 56August 11, 2022 12:59 PM

[quote] I had little respect for authority, and a deep desire to challenge mainstream thought and opinion

This practically defines liberalism, dumbass. Has the conservative movement reduced itself to mere reflexive contrarianism?

by Anonymousreply 57August 11, 2022 1:04 PM

Why do republicans always want to live in LA?

by Anonymousreply 58August 11, 2022 6:03 PM

Her parents are republicans and she was always a republican. She thought that she could justify it with delusional bullshit but no surprise here -- they lie like they breathe.

by Anonymousreply 59August 11, 2022 6:35 PM

I don't hold it against her for holding conservative ideas. I'm a registered Democrat, But I, too, hold certain ideas like individual responsibility, small government, free trade, and a robust foreign policy built upon a strong military. Yet, I cannot bring myself to vote Republican today -- nor for the past few decades.

But I know better now at 59. She's 26. She discovered what many of us discovered when we were her age...The GOP might abide gay conservatives like Richard Grenell, but they snicker behind his back. And they advocate anti-gay policies with the attitude -- I view individuals as individuals.

She got burned. Point taken. Lesson not so learned...because it will happen again.

Vote for the person whose policies and values best reflect yours and what you hold dear. I don't agree with the Democrats on everything, but they reflect my values for the most. Only a handful (if that) of Republicans today do.

by Anonymousreply 60August 11, 2022 7:09 PM

Now she's gone private but still reposting clips from The Blaze while calling herself "politically homeless".

Please, leave LA, Log Cabinettes.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2022 10:01 PM

Dumb Twat.

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2022 10:29 PM

Report this troll for lesbian bashing !

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2022 10:29 PM

"I knew I was conservative long before I knew I was queer. A natural contrarian, I always wanted to color outside the box. I had little respect for authority, and a deep desire to challenge mainstream thought and opinion. As an Obama-era kid, it was clear to me even as a child that there was an “approved” way of thinking—which was largely held by the Democratic Party and mainstream media.

Because of this, I knew the Democratic Party was not for me at the age of 12.

Even as a child, I believed in relentless freedom, American exceptionalism, and the promise of our country. That’s what drew me to the Republican Party. Growing up in New Hampshire, I was surrounded by politics, and our GOP leaders were traditionally moderate Republicans who cared little about social and culture war issues, despite the temptations of a rabid activist base. "

Jesus. The whole intro shows how she's not AT ALL a "natural contrarian" and "someone who colors outside the box." The language, the ideas - totally formulaic and predictable.

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2022 10:52 PM

[quote]The language, the ideas - totally formulaic and predictable.

What you've just described are the hallmarks of anyone who calls themselves "contrarian", R64.

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2022 10:56 PM

Wait until she finds out that the GOP has lied to her about everything else, including that their “tax cuts” somehow affects her in any appreciable way

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2022 10:58 PM

If there is a God, I hope She fixes it so no other lesbian ever comes near her snack box.

NO MORE MAKING THE LEZ-LEZ FOR YOU!

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2022 11:03 PM

[quote]Even as a child, I believed in relentless freedom, American exceptionalism, and the promise of our country. That’s what drew me to the Republican Party

Requires a hardcore Amish shunning for life, not because she was a Republican, but because she is dumb and gullible as dirt. And delusional patriotic.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2022 12:35 AM

She's still single and hating LA...but still here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2023 7:29 PM

Dumb cunt. She admits to being a contrarian which is why she's a republican.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2023 8:01 PM

I don't think anyone was really clamoring for an update about this dizzy bitch, r69.

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2023 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!