Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Godfather

In preparation for watching "The Offer" I decided to revisit The Godfather. What was it about The Godfather that made it such a hit movie? The first half hour is the wedding and it's a slow intro into the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2022 6:03 AM

The sweet, sweet revenge and Sonny's beautiful ass.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2022 8:18 PM

It was also the time, I think. People were fascinated by the mob, especially the NY mafia.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2022 8:20 PM

It was an immigrant/American dream story people loved at the time. Our Thing triumphed over poverty in Italy and discrimination in America. The fact that it was all illegal, well, that's just another flavor of the Immigrant Makes It in America myth. I liked reading about Jewish and Irish immigrants equally. I don't recall either of those groups getting such a great movie, though. And then there's the food! Mamma mia!

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2022 8:34 PM

It was a popular book and there was much talk about the film during production due to the fact that Brando was returning to the screen in a major role it also received very good reviews and a number of Oscars as well.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2022 8:38 PM

Why is Diane Keaton saying they didn’t want Al Pacino for The Godfather without an explanation?

Pacino was an unknown and the studio heads didn’t want to hang the movie on someone who didn’t have box office success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2022 11:13 AM

I think the second movie is superior to the first.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2022 11:31 AM

Isn't it a bit soon for yet another 'Godfather' discussion? It's been - what? two weeks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2022 11:44 AM

It was the 70s, OP.

EVERYONE loved Al Pacino, and the rest of the cast, who were without any question or hesitation, EXCELLENT actors.

The book had been a huge success, as well. I remember being in NYC as a kid when it first came out, and it was being sold at every retailer. Even Duane Reade had it at every checkout line displayed on racks, where the checkout lines were formed.

The 1970s were great, regarding literature and film.

This is one of my favorite films, ever. I might watch it again this weekend, in between finishing up organizing my closet and decorating my bedroom, and my first floor living area.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2022 12:08 PM

It's amazing that Puzo went on to write the story and screenplay for Richard Donner's Superman, still the best and most heartfelt superhero movie.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 10:25 AM

R9, I had no idea that Puzo had written that screenplay, as well. And I agree with you. That’s my favorite rendition of Superman.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 6:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2022 6:28 PM

OP, are you soneone's aunt who has a fetish for starting threads?

Because your thread opener is a real sign of it.

You said nothing interesting, insightful, informed or in any way attractive to anyone but other dullards or snipes like me.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2022 6:30 PM

[quote]Al Pacino had just one starring film role to his credit playing a heroine addict in The Panic In Needle Park.

O, Madonn'

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2022 6:32 PM

The studio wanted Burt Reynolds or Ryan O Neal for Michael Corleone.

It was Coppola who thankfully fought for Pacino. The other two would have been dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2022 7:57 PM

Gosh, can you imagine either of those playing Michael Corleone?

I sure can’t.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2022 11:31 PM

The studios want money over quality.

That being said, it's amazing how Burt Reynolds is largely forgotten today, considering how huge of a star he was back in the day. (He's tied with Bing Cosby for having the most years of being the number one box office draw).

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2022 11:51 PM

The first full-page ad for a movie I'd ever seen was for the Godfather. I remember my uncle commenting on it. So heavy and novel marketing. The novel had been hugely successful. Then there was the combination of high-quality film-making with a tawdry subject, a crime family. The cinematography was fabulous. Pacino and Keaton were both good looking. Great score.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2022 6:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!