Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good-looking celebrities that were unpopular in school and ugly celebrities that were popular in school?

Can be from any/all eras...

The reason I created this thread was to debunk the ignorant myth that looks makes someone popular in school...

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2022 3:16 AM

Oh dear. It's celebrities WHO were unpopular in school and celebrities WHO were popular in school.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2022 8:25 PM

How do we know?

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2022 8:30 PM

Really! How would we know?

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2022 8:32 PM

This post is a huge failure

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2022 8:38 PM

How about home-schooled celebs?

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2022 8:43 PM

Diana Ross was not popular in high school by her own estimatuon - "Nobody even talked to me in school." However, she was already far taken with the notion of status even then and she worked to make herself a standout. She was a winning member of the swim team, took fashion design courses, and sang at sock hops. Notable: She once git into an aggressive argument with a female instructor, telling her "You KNOW that I'm going to be a BIG STAR, don't you?!!" Other former students remember her as "Diane Ross - the girl who always said she'd be a big star one day."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote]The reason I created this thread was to debunk the ignorant myth that looks makes someone popular in school...

Good luck with that, hon.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2022 8:54 PM

I read that Harrison Ford was considered an awkward dork in high school.

Can't remember where I read that - many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2022 9:02 PM

Blake Shelton. Former lesbian? 🤔

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2022 9:07 PM

A lot of people peak in high school. A lot of other people don't hit their peak until much later, post-30, even post-50.

So who has "looks" in high school isn't necessarily the same set of people who have "looks" later in life.

"Hotness" is also defined differently in HS. It's mainly just anyone thin with clear skin and fashionable clothes. It's not like people are examining bone structure before asking someone to Prom. You can be relatively fug, but if you have an athletic body and expensive clothes, you'll have no problem being popular. Meanwhile, someone with exquisite features but bad skin and/or 10 extra pounds will be ostracized until graduation.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2022 10:31 PM

Interesting

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2022 1:39 AM

Sume

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2022 2:43 AM

But I'm laide jolie!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2022 3:19 AM

Hotty

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2022 5:52 AM

All of em

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2022 6:11 PM

Anna Nicole Smith who was gorgeous was unpopular in school.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2022 7:26 PM

Well, here's some of their HS pics. You tell me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2022 7:37 PM

Interesting how Amy Adams doesn't look much different now, despite the better hairdo, dye job, and make up.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2022 11:41 PM

Hiuy

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2022 1:33 AM

Hytg

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2022 2:33 AM

In in my high school all the good looking black people were considered popular by default. Werid. We didn't really have clicks or bullies tho.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2022 2:41 AM

R18 Adams at least got some good cosmetic dental work.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2022 2:53 AM

Thought there'd be more replies than this

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2022 4:09 AM

R23, It's a stupid superficial thread.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2022 4:11 AM

*Cliques

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2022 9:17 AM

@r8, "I read that Harrison Ford was considered an awkward dork in high school. "

Yeah, I should be so awkward 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2022 10:57 AM

I think Bruno Mars transitioned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2022 11:10 AM

^ 😂

by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2022 11:16 AM

Marilyn Monroe was pretty but unpopular

by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2022 4:33 PM

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2022 11:56 PM

Don't know if he counts, but I think Ozzy Osbourne has talked about how badly he was bullied in school.

Well, he showed them, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2022 11:58 PM

My good friend's sister went to Catholic high school in St. Catherine's (Ontario) with Linda Evangelista. According to my friend's sister, Linda was quite unremarkable during her high school years, nobody really cared that much about her and certainly nobody had any idea that she would become one of the biggest supermodels in history.

by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2022 12:01 AM

Ygghj

by Anonymousreply 33August 13, 2022 4:07 AM

Tuuty

by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2022 2:53 PM

Ytgh

by Anonymousreply 35August 13, 2022 8:12 PM

In my high school class, the most popular girl (all the guys wanted her, captain of the cheerleaders, prom queen etc) had a big nose and a long face, but a great body and nice hair (picture SJP with dark hair) OP is right. Her post HS life was/is just as charmed, married a wealthy guy, 2 kids, a boy and a girl, then divorced and married an even wealthier guy and is a huge business success herself.

by Anonymousreply 36August 13, 2022 8:30 PM

R36, I wish I could see a picture of her

by Anonymousreply 37August 13, 2022 9:56 PM

R27 Looks more like Stacy Lattisaw than Bruno Mars.

by Anonymousreply 38August 13, 2022 10:01 PM

I've told this story before but Elle McPherson went to my school. She was very pretty but also very tall, so she was never hugely popular. Was a nice person and started to become more attractive in the her last year of school but by that time the social lines had already been marked.

by Anonymousreply 39August 13, 2022 10:14 PM

R39 I don't get that last line - "by that time, the social lines had already been marked."

Are you saying because she wasn't hugely popular before, it was too late for her to be popular once she got attractive?

by Anonymousreply 40August 13, 2022 10:29 PM

R40 Basically, yes. High school was coming to an end and the groups had been formed. She liked her friends and probably didn't want to go into another social group so late in the game. Also, it took a while for people to see she had blossomed. I recall she was also getting the odd modelling gig and was on her way.

by Anonymousreply 41August 13, 2022 11:19 PM

How was Meryl Streep in school?

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 1:51 AM

R40, yes, this is true. By sophomore year, social ranking has been established, and it doesn't really change, unless a new person moves to your town and fits in. A girl in my class was overweight with glasses for years, so she was an obvious outcast who was bullied. By sophomore year, she got contact lenses, and although still overweight, you could see she was beautiful. Cut to the start of junior year, she shows up super thin and is breathtakingly beautiful, like "most beautiful face in the school" beautiful. Although she was complimented by some of the popular girls and boys, she was still set aside. It was too late. Happily, she developed a social life outside of our high school, and I heard she was the "it" girl in college, although two people from our town transferred to the same college and told everyone (and showed photos) of what she used to look like. Last I heard, she dropped out because her social life bottomed out after those people did that aka depression set in and she stopped doing well.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2022 3:08 PM

[quote] all the guys wanted her

I'm pretty certain not ALL of guys wanted her.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2022 5:31 PM

Is this high school popularity ranking shit mainly an American thing? I know availability of guns and the worship of them is a big part of our school shooter culture - but I've often wondered if the social stratifying is more extreme in the US, maybe due to hyper-capitalism and competition being glorified.

I read somewhere that in France, your social group usually remains the kids you went to school with, and I got the idea they don't have the jocks/cheerleader/homecoming queen shit going on (vs the not-good-enough and straight up outcasts).

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2022 5:38 PM

R44 Correction. All the straight guys wanted to date her. All the gay guys wanted to hang out with her.

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2022 12:28 AM

Yuuhh

by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2022 6:14 PM

There was a girl at my high school, totally under the radar kid, not ugly but not hot, not popular, not on any sports that I remember. In 10th grade, she changed schools and changed her name from Antoinette to Antonia, and became hugely popular at her new school. She transferred back for her senior year but fell right back into her role as mousy Antoinette.

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2022 6:47 PM

I think some of you should state the location in which you went to high school. Because there is a big difference culturally going to high school in the city vs a huge suburban high school or a small town high school or say a performance arts high school vs a big overcrowded inner city school.

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2022 6:51 PM

Jghjk

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote] It's a stupid superficial thread.

The OP is asking us to gossip about someone else's gossip.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2022 12:08 AM

Jghjk?

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2022 3:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!