Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

POLL: Timeless or Trash: "Throw Momma from the Train" (1987)

Directed by Danny DeVito, this comedy has elements of slapstick, neo-noir, and postmodern humor that would mature in DeVito's later directorial efforts.

The film earned Anne Ramsey an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress, and is today remembered chiefly for her scenes rather than for the broader plot about a Hitchcock-ian effort to swap murders.

Also featuring Kate Mulgrew as Billy Crystal's nymphomaniac ex-wife!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 7:30 AM

Saw it long ago. Laughed once. It was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2022 2:34 PM

FUCK! Where's the poll?

Dammit, Muriel! You spilled Drambuie on the servers again!

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2022 2:35 PM

It was considered bad in it's era.

And virtually evey era, it signaled the death rattle for Anne Ramsey. Took her forever to finally kick it, though.

And both DeVito & Crystal would continue onto more successful projects... regardless of the just how bad this way.

But it wasn't the worse film of the year.

You could see 1987 as the full cultural shift in the 80s vs films just a few years earlier. TMFTT is split between the two. it's throwaway movie regardless.. it only works with celebs as a tossable film, they'd make enough back on it because of the celebrity but they were likely pretty certain it was aboslute shit. I doubt they thought very much of the top films of tha tyear, either. They were a gamble too. It's the year of Cher, she had two runners tht year... it was a significant boost incredibility.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2022 3:47 PM

I thought it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2022 3:49 PM

LOVED it!

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2022 4:12 PM

I enjoyed it when it came out. Laughed quite a bit.

Rewatched it on a whim a few years ago. Enjoyed it then as well.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2022 5:05 PM

He didn’t direct it, but I thought “Drowning Mona” was funny, too.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2022 5:13 PM

I hated it so much I left the theatre. "Total waste of a lot of talent", thought 14-year-old me (clearly an aesthete).

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2022 5:20 PM

[quote]And virtually every era, it signaled the death rattle for Anne Ramsey. Took her forever to finally kick it, though.

She was oscar nominated then died a year later. I don't think there was enough time for a career decline.

Anne only hit it big after The Goonies anyway.

Anne's finest moment in my opinion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2022 5:31 PM

Agree with R1. I think the clip in Op's link was the only funny scene.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2022 5:33 PM

Owen! Get me a soda! With some ice in it!

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2022 11:39 PM

I loved Mrs Lift.

Get up off of your fat ass and get me some peanuts!

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2022 11:47 PM

I loved the woman in Crystal's class reading her creative writing. She was a hoot

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2022 12:50 AM

Hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2024 7:28 AM

“Let go of me you black bastard!”

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2024 7:29 AM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 7:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!