Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My mom is dying and I am home to be here with her

She stopped eating and drinking (except for sips of water here and there) last Thursday. Hospice says probably 5-10 days tops.

I am cycling through so many emotions--sadness, fear, impatience, anger, helplessness, hopelessness.

She is peaceful and comfortable. I am a mess.

Any words of wisdom?

by Anonymousreply 158September 6, 2022 11:26 PM

take the "dose" in the fridge for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2022 9:57 PM

Just sending love and light to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2022 9:57 PM

nothing tastes as good as skinny feels

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2022 9:57 PM

Can I have her stuff?

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2022 9:57 PM

OP, this manner of death is supposedly very peaceful; don't know how much of her faculties your mom has but she's likely comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2022 9:58 PM

Sending you much love and aloha, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2022 10:00 PM

OP, I've been with both parents when they passed. As difficult as it is, being with them was a great comfort to me as I grieved. Sorry you have to go through this.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2022 10:01 PM

We love you OP. Congrats to Mom on transitioning back to spirit.

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2022 10:02 PM

You will never regret the time you are spending with her, and will treasure those moments forever. Your being there with her brings her a sense of peace, comfort, and joy. This is where you are intended to be, and where your Mom wants you to be.

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2022 10:03 PM

"Snap out of it!"

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2022 10:03 PM

Hugs to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2022 10:06 PM

R7 is so right. As hard as it feels, there is nobody your mom would rather have there. Be strong for her and it will bring you peace. Hug her, hold her hand and remember those things. I'm sorry.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2022 10:07 PM

Talk to her. Sing or play songs that she liked. Hold her hand. You're very lucky to be given this chance even though you are distraught now. When you look back on this time, you'll be glad you were there.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2022 10:08 PM

I am sending you a big hug, OP.

Know that you are doing the right thing, that your mother will truly appreciate you being there, and that you will look back on this time with a certain pride and even fondness.

Your mother knows she is loved by the one she has always loved the very most, even before you were born. I can't think of a better way for her to go out, and for you to find closure.

You are a good person.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2022 10:08 PM

Sorry to hear it. Must be difficult.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2022 10:08 PM

Tell her you love her.

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2022 10:09 PM

Crying as a write this, but I sat and sang, "You are my sunshine" to my mom because she sang it to me. Show her your love.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2022 10:10 PM

qvc.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2022 10:11 PM

No words. Just be glad you're able to be there for her. Make sure she's aware (to whatever extent she can be aware) that you are there. Say whatever you need to say.

Wishing nothing but peace for your mom. And for you as you both make this difficult, but unavoidable transition.

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2022 10:12 PM

Stopping eating/drinking is a sign that she is near the end, OP. As hard as it is--and it's torture--stay with her as much as you can thru this. She knows you're there and knows you are helping you thru the transition. You will be so grateful you were there after she dies.

Hold her hand and tell her nice things or sing to her at the end. Hearing is the last sense to go. She'll know you are with her and it will make it easier for her to let go.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2022 10:12 PM

I sang Edelweiss to my dad as he was dying. It was our special song. He died just as I finished singing it.

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2022 10:14 PM

So glad you are able to experience this with her. A blessing for both of you. Be well.

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2022 10:16 PM

Play some songs if you have any of her favorite music, or just play some mellow stuff. It's hard, this journey, so whatever you need to be kind to yourselves.

It sucks while it's happening but the fact that you're able to say goodbye will be something meaningful for you.

PS: Don't be surprised if she takes a moment you leave the room to actually....well, leave the planet. This is a common thing where dying people hold on while loved ones are around, but when they leave the room, even for a moment, they slip away. Know she stayed as long as she could.

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2022 10:16 PM

I’m so very sorry, OP. I can only imagine what you’re going through. It sounds like she is at peace. I’m sure it feels like an inhale you can’t let out right now. I hope you’re not there totally alone all the time. Is there someone you can call and talk to during this? I know you must not want to miss a second second while she’s still alive but having someone to reach out to at some point could help you greatly. Again, I’m truly, truly sorry. So many people have to go through this. On the plus side, she isn’t having a tragic passing or is stuck on machines.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2022 10:16 PM

Why impatience? You mean for her to die and so you can go back to living your life without being bothered with your mom? I hope not.

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2022 10:17 PM

Peace and love to you and your mom. See if there is any seemingly insignificant thing you can do that will make her remaining time seem normal and a little bit better. Is there a TV show she likes? What is her favorite album? Is there a newspaper or magazine she always reads, or does she have a favorite author? Put on her show, play her music, and read aloud to her. Also- this is important - eat something while you're with her, it will be your last meal together whether or not she can still eat, and you need to keep up your strength.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2022 10:17 PM

BTDT, OP. Remember, hearing is the last sense to go. Even when she appears nonresponsive, she can hear you. So talk about things you know would make her happy. Tell her the stories about her childhood that she told you. Tell her stories about fun things the two of you did while you were a kid. She'll remember her oldest memories most easily.

And tell her that everything is fine, she can slip away and join her parents, husband, siblings - anyone who passed before her - whenever she's ready. She probably senses them gathered around welcoming her. My mom's hospice nurse told me it's so common for the dying to greet and talk to their predeceased family members. She also told me it's very common for the dying to wait until they are alone to die. She said it's like they want or need that alone time to finally pass over. So don't feel bad if you aren't there when she passes. Most likely that was her decision.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2022 10:22 PM

Go work with Alec Baldwin, OP. He will take care of you.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2022 10:22 PM

Sending all the love and peace to you and your Mom, OP. As others have said, this is the hardest thing but you are doing the right thing. Tell her all the things you need to say, tell her you will be ok and she doesn’t need to worry about you.

Take care of yourself too and remember we, your pointless brethren, are always here (unless it’s bloody primetime!).

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2022 10:22 PM

When my Semitic mother died, I told her I loved her then she farted in my face. Then FLATLINE.

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2022 10:25 PM

I agree with those that say that if you have a friend or partner to let out your feelings to, then do it. It's what friends are for. Also make sure that you self-care during this time. Don't neglect yourself.

How sentient is your mother? Can she talk? Talk to her. Get those stories that will go with her. Also, what you are doing is important to you as a family. It is the right thing. Many people don't have that - your mother does.

At a certain point she will probably be sleeping/unconscious most of the time. So take this window to share with her - words, songs, whatever. Sending love and light your way.

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2022 10:26 PM

I love you Op, I’m thinking about you.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2022 10:26 PM

My mother died in May OP. What I learned was I needed to surrender and accept that this was the end.

My mom was ready to pass and I had to quickly learn that I wasn't in control of the situation.

I have a good therapist and even better friends. My only brother was awful so that made it harder.

She was at Mass General and had the best care available. Everything that could have been done was done.

You must love her enough to let her go. There will be regrets, but we're only human and that's O.K.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2022 10:27 PM

if she is not suffering think abut how lucky you are that you don't have to watch her suffer and that you get to be there with her at the end. No one wants to be alone at the end so she is lucky to have you.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2022 10:32 PM

If she can speak, record her voice.

My guru says it is the voices of those we lose that fade fastest, to our later regret.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2022 10:34 PM

I worked in a nursing home while I was attending college. Whenever a patient on our unit was in their final stages, we had an agreement that if a family member or friend was unable to be there, we would make sure that one of us would be in the room with them so they would not die alone. Reading your post, OP, brought back many memories, and I was happy to be able to do this. It also reminds me of sitting with my dear sweet mother. Almost 5 years, and I still miss her. Be happy you can do this.

❤ Love to you, OP

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2022 10:35 PM

Words of wisdom? Stop making up stupid threads in your desperate need for attention (based on your other posts)

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2022 10:37 PM

Sending love and a big hug to you OP. I’m sorry you are going through this and I wish you and your mom peace ❤️

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2022 10:37 PM

You area a good son and a good man. Make her smile and comfortable. Remind her of all the family and friends that she will soon see again. Tell her she was a good mother and person and the world is a better place because of her. Hold her hand. Keep telling her everything is going to be beautiful and she will be so happy and no longer in pain. Peace to you. We're here. Keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2022 10:41 PM

OP I am so sorry for this sad point lll time you are going through . I agree with those who say you will be glad you were there for hour mother at this point . Maybhappy memories sustain you in the difficult days ahead

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2022 10:45 PM

I am so so sorry OP I just went through this with my dad. He went into hospice last Thursday and just passed away a couple days ago (he died on Sunday 8/7). It's hard, but hospice was amazing with my father and he died peacefully. I hope the same is true for your family.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2022 10:47 PM

I'm wiping tears away as I type. I went through this with both of my parents, OP. It's been twenty years since my mom died just three weeks after her 60th birthday. Lots of great advice and wisdom here for you. Just follow your gut and do whatever you think is right. Don't second-guess your choices or decisions.

Hang in there, and take care of yourself, too!

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2022 10:48 PM

Love to you, r41

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2022 10:49 PM

"I'm wiping tears away as I type."

R42 Why so fake? You are 100% not wiping away tears.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2022 10:53 PM

You are a doing an act of grace. So sorry. She is proud of you.

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2022 11:01 PM

Fuck you, R44. Reading through all the posts brought back a lot of memories. Some of us have emotions and cry. Clearly your alien masters didn't brief you properly.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2022 11:03 PM

All good wishes, OP. See it through so you're proud, because loving another is one of the things you really should be proud of. xo.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2022 11:06 PM

OP, I have a book I think you’d really like…

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2022 11:07 PM

Hugs, love and thoughts of peace to you and your family. I know where you are and was there July 2020 for dad and January 2021 for mom. Peace.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2022 11:09 PM

I suspect that several posters are wiping away genuine tears as they post their thoughts, and remember those particular moments when they lost their precious Moms.

I was ....... Twice

👽 You're a mean one, R44.

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2022 11:10 PM

Just being with your mother at this time means the world to her.

As Jewish people say, you are a Mensch.

As others say, you are doing God's work.

As I say, you're a good man, OP.

Sit with her, hold her hand, and talk to her. Tell her how much you love her. Keep talking. Hearing is the last thing to go.

by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2022 11:11 PM

R50 "I suspect that several posters are wiping away genuine tears"

No, I'm just not fake and spouting platitudes. I'd bet $1000.00 you are not "wiping away tears," dear.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2022 11:18 PM

Start writing a book.

by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2022 11:20 PM

#thoughtsandprayers

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2022 11:23 PM

Sorry OP. It's horrendous what you're going thru. Mom died from stomach cancer and it was frightening seeing her deteriorating in front of my eyes. Love and keep the faith OP

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2022 11:24 PM

"Let me make this story about me"

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2022 11:24 PM

"You are a doing an act of grace. So sorry. She is proud of you."

R45 good god, listen to yourself. Seriously read what you just wrote.

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2022 11:27 PM

R52 is a LIAR.

👮 HE'S JUST TRYING TO GET YOUR CREDIT/ DEBIT CARD NUMBER.

by Anonymousreply 58August 9, 2022 11:41 PM

R58 One day, you will grow up.

by Anonymousreply 59August 9, 2022 11:43 PM

My mom died in December so I feel your pain. Just don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing the best you can in the moment. And remember, your relationship with your mother is life long. Your relationship is not just one period of time, but the entire experience. Just that you are there with her is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 60August 9, 2022 11:48 PM

"May we please make this conversation about me?"

R60

by Anonymousreply 61August 9, 2022 11:52 PM

You're a mean one, Mr Grinch - Is it beause your dick is half an inch? - You're tore up from the floor up - You're hateful to the core - You're a whore, R44!

by Anonymousreply 62August 9, 2022 11:54 PM

" See it through so you're proud, because loving another is one of the things you really should be proud of. xo." R47 You are not ok, really - tell your therapist about this post.

by Anonymousreply 63August 9, 2022 11:55 PM

Trolls must have mental health issues. I lose any respect for people who can't show empathy where it's due.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2022 12:01 AM

R64 Same with fake people "omg I'm crying"

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2022 12:04 AM

OP, I know someone currently going through the same thing. I wish it was easy. I really wish you weren't going through this. I'm so sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2022 12:05 AM

OP, I don't know you, and it's highly likely you are making up this story, but I want to make it about me, because I am very lonely and sad. " So - thoughts and prayers, I am crying, my heart is broken, dear god, help us all." I'm not really, but I'm so sad and lonely, I wish everything could be about me."

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2022 12:07 AM

I've been there OP. Sending comfort and hugs. It's part of life, you will get through it. I had to authorize taking my mother off life support , they had her on drip med that kept her alive temporarily by boosting her blood pressure, but it was only a matter of time. She was religious so I managed to get a priest in to give her her last rights. After they stopped the drip she was gone within 30 minutes. Be with her, talk to her, hold her hand. She most likely will know you're with her even if she's not awake.

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2022 12:13 AM

What r27 said. I was told the same thing by nurses when my father was dying. It makes sense to me, because I’d wait to be alone, not having a bunch of sad people watching me!

It is a very difficult thing you’re doing, but it’s also an honor. She brought you into the world.

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2022 12:15 AM

Hugs, OP. I can’t comment without getting weepy, but I understand the emotions. I hope your mom is comfortable, and that you feel comfort in knowing that.

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2022 12:16 AM

OP I went through the exact same thing with my father and when it happens, you'll be ready (as will she). Don't leave her side, stand guard and know that you're doing the right thing by her. When she's gone, allow yourself the opportunity to mourn and grieve. That's the best advice I can give you. I bid you peace in this very precious time.

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2022 12:20 AM

OP if may make this story about me, please. Your mom, blah, blah, blah, but more importantly MY mom...

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2022 12:22 AM

My mother died alone. My daddy basically abandoned her twenty years ago. She was morbidly obese and had the diabetes. My daddy was MSM - not closeted - and preferred huntin and fishin to takin care of her. She lived in a separate room in the ranch until he kicked her out in '98. Then it was hospice care till she passed in 2008 from complications from the diabetes. They'd amputated both her legs and her right hand by then. She couldn't stop the eatin. She done at herself to death.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2022 12:56 AM

I know there’s nothing I can say to make this time easier, OP, but I’m so sorry for you’re going through this.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2022 1:01 AM

This one really hurts

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2022 1:44 AM

R71 "I bid you peace in this very precious time."

#thoughtsandprayers

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2022 1:46 AM

Who gets her stuff?

by Anonymousreply 77August 10, 2022 2:11 AM

She is home. She has 24 hour care; she has been bed bound and incontinent for two years. She has dementia, but is with it enough at times to still make me laugh with her dry wit.

I have been playing lots of show tunes, classical, and big band stuff. Also some hymns. I found her old poetry textbook from college and read all the poems that she had marked up to her. I rub her feet and brush her hair and scratch her head.

A couple of times a day, I get a smile or a few whispered words. Otherwise, she is silent. She hasn't opened her eyes for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 78August 10, 2022 2:18 AM

How old is your mother? Is she dying young or is it at somewhat of an appropriate age to pass on??

by Anonymousreply 79August 10, 2022 2:24 AM

[quote] I am cycling through so many emotions--sadness, fear, impatience, anger, helplessness, hopelessness.

Yeah, why are you feeling impatient? You want her to die more quickly?

by Anonymousreply 80August 10, 2022 2:30 AM

Think only of what's happening in the moment. Bring love and comfort into the room with you. Try to find some minor joy in all your remaining moments with her. Even if that's just holding hands or listening to music together in silence. Every moment you spend thinking about the future is robbing you both of time together while you have it. There will be plenty of time to deal with the awful aftermath.

by Anonymousreply 81August 10, 2022 2:34 AM

Not sure if you're religious OP but - let go and let God.

by Anonymousreply 82August 10, 2022 2:35 AM

Feed her some pineapple, tell her what a whore she was for sleeping with your husband, and wrap the IV cord around her neck like it was an accident. You don’t need six year old sluts ruining your………

Sorry, meant to post this on another thread.

All mothers are angels and their daughters whores. Glad you had a saintly mother and she had a wonderful, son like I do

by Anonymousreply 83August 10, 2022 2:38 AM

OP, this would be the time to tell Mama what a shit she was calling you 'my little fag' as you were growing up. She can't run away so get it all out. A bottle of tequila will help you articulate your thoughts.

Lean in close to ensure she hears/sees/smells you.

Bless.

by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2022 2:42 AM

R84...You are clearly damaged.

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2022 5:03 PM

See if you can get your mother to sign a special codicil in your favor of you OP, her best little boy who’s been devoted even to the end.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2022 5:08 PM

OP, I went through this.

Sort of. It was during the early days of COVID so I wasn't able to be there at the end.

I had the option of flying 3K miles across the country, renting a car, driving to the hospice, being put in a hazmatt (sp?) suit and gone into the room.

She could have died while I was en route. I could not have stayed with friends or family b/c of COVID and if I left the room while suited up, well, that's it. You have to leave and you don't come back.

I still dream about her about three times a week; she's somewhere -- at a doctor's appointment, in her dining hall at assisted living and I have to get her to safety. And then I wake up and I realize she's gone.

I wish I had more to share with you. Be grateful you can be there at the end. Tell her anything you want to even if you think she can't hear you. You never know.

Later...surround yourself with people who love you. And don't go out and have grief sex b/c there's not only COVID but also Monkey Pox.

by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2022 5:13 PM

Just know that people you love may leave this planet, but they will never leave you. They live on in your memories. Blessings to you.

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2022 5:20 PM

I have been there and it is tough. Be careful of other family relationships as the stress and grief is high and bad words or actions at this time may never be later repaired. Be patrient with others and watch your own behavior. Be careful of the martyr syndrome or the "I know what is best for Mom" attitude. You don't. At this point, it doesn't matter and she desrves peace and the peace of mind that her family is intact. It will take a long tine to get over the experience and, dpeending on your age, you may never do so. If you cann, enjoy the time you havre left witt your mom, if you can, like watching an old movie. I still have happy memories of the last time I heard my mom laugh while doing so. She was dying but could still laugh.

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2022 5:21 PM

I needed this first thing in the morning??? It immediately brought back memories of watching my beloved grandmother and my father die. It hurts beyond belief to watch them pass,but it will indeed be a comfort to you after to know you were there. We all should be so lucky to have someone there we know loves us. Just remember as horrible as it all is now,it will pass and you will feel better eventually. Maybe not for a while,but it will ease off. Big hug to you Op,and to quote Ghost,"the love never dies". I love my grandma as much today as i did 15 years ago when she passed. But damn if I havent been crying reading this thread!

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2022 5:28 PM

Hospice is there to help YOU get through this as much as to help your Mom have a peaceful transition. Lean on them with your questions and concerns. They are among the nicest, most noble people I've ever dealt with. They made the situation so much more bearable.

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2022 5:31 PM

There is a 'Hospice Nurse Julie' on TikTok who is truly wonderful and very informative and comforting.

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2022 5:33 PM

I feel your pain OP. There's really nothing I or anyone can say that can make the pain go away. It's just something most of us have to endure. But know that it will be over soon and your mother will be in a better place. Be happy you are able to be there with her as she makes her transition to the next phase of her being.

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2022 5:49 PM

Been through this twice. ❤️ Sending compassion your way.

by Anonymousreply 94August 10, 2022 5:52 PM

I dont know...i think i would rather be alone at the end, not with people that iwas leaving behind . I think it would make it harder to let go.

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2022 6:08 PM

OP, I groan and cringe at someone posting here about a personal problem, the anonymity of the site and the stated "pointless butchery" being tips that this ain't the place to share sufferin. People need not bother themselves and us here about matters of pain and sorrow, because they'll get what they don't want.

When my mother was dying I didn't post about it here, but when she died I posted about my relief and resignation in the face of what life inevitably is, I made a joke.

Accept as much of what's happening as you can, get your rest and nutrition as much as is possible, and do the work of letting people know what's going on. THOSE people in your life are the ones to deal with, not us. And ask yourself why you're posting here now about it. If you have no one better, you have double our sympathy.

But, OP, while saying that, you do need to ask her immediately if you can have her stuff and make sure you have a full SOFT pillow handy if things drag out. Key Point: Be gentle but firm, and NO BRUISES and watch the nose.

I wish someone had given me that advice when I could have used it.

by Anonymousreply 96August 10, 2022 6:36 PM

You are right to be with her every minute. That is all she wants. The fact that you are truly with her, 100%, will make you feel much better later on.

by Anonymousreply 97August 10, 2022 6:40 PM

R96, will you marry me?

OP, our culture doesn’t do well with death and we need to change that. This is the circle of life, it is a sacred time to watch her life complete the full circle, it truly is holy, and it is a gift to us. If we didn’t know the agony of loss, of longing, of sweet memories, we would never truly experience things like gratitude, contentment, joy or compassion. This experience is going to grow you spiritually.

Then what happens is you will (eventually) meet someone going through the same thing, and you will get to share all your learnings and wisdom with them, and you will tell them someday it will be their turn to do the same. It’s how we pay it forward and build a better tomorrow.

You are doing a great thing by being there. Give yourself breaks if you need them, and when you have a chance, I recommend journaling about it. Write down what’s happening and how it makes you feel. Share with a trusted friend when you’re able, that person needs to be an awesome listener.

I am sending encouragement and hope your way, peace OP. You’re a good egg.

by Anonymousreply 98August 10, 2022 6:49 PM

It's so rare for a child to outlive a parent, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 99August 10, 2022 7:22 PM

I missed being there for my mom's actual passing. I was supposed to travel to see her the following week.

She died in the middle of the night in a hospital, because the dumb hospital moved her out of a 24 hour ICU to a ward where they'd check on her every two hours.

She'd been suffering and her death was a mercy. We'd said what needed to be said, and other than the dumb hospital, I am at peace with her passing. I just wish she'd been able to be here to see a few beautiful things that happened after her death. But we have no control over any of that.

by Anonymousreply 100August 10, 2022 7:25 PM

This morning I was reading next to her. At one point, I looked over at her and she was giggling. Then, she opened her eyes for the first time in a week and looked up at the ceiling with a big smile on her face.

I just sat there watching her--she was clearly having some sort of experience that I didn't want to interrupt.

After a minute or two I said softly, "are you hearing something nice, mom?" She smiled and closed her eyes.

The nurse came and mom perked up a bit and answered a couple of questions with her eyes closed. She's been out cold for the rest of the day today.

I feel really lucky that I was there for that moment, to hear her chuckle and see that beatific smile.

by Anonymousreply 101August 11, 2022 1:09 AM

^ this. Those are the moments that matter. You can carry it in your pocket and take it out whenever you like.

by Anonymousreply 102August 11, 2022 4:04 AM

We are spirit beings housed inside the body. All is mind and consciousness. Again, the spirit/soul is consciousness. When the physical body dies, it is the consciousness of the person which passes on. This is the truth.

by Anonymousreply 103August 11, 2022 1:01 PM

Enjoy this special time.

by Anonymousreply 104August 11, 2022 1:20 PM

[quote] mom perked up a bit and answered a couple of questions

But will she have the last word, OP?

Will she?

by Anonymousreply 105August 11, 2022 1:49 PM

OP, I am sending you good thoughts. I have been there. Read these short pamphlets by Barbara Karnes. They were given to me by the hospice nurses when my mother was coming to the end of her life. They're enormously helpful and have helped millions around the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 11, 2022 1:57 PM

What kind of music does she like? Play it for her. Hearing is the last of the senses to go.

When I was a hospice nurse in San Diego, I worked in the home of a female patient whose husband told me she loved the movie of “The Sound of Music” so much, she used to watch it over and over. So, during the 3 days I was there, I played the DVD of it for her. I ended up playing it over 9 times, and instructed the night shift to do the same. It was what she loved.

There are so many ways of helping others be comfortable, way beyond just medication. Lavender bed baths and aroma therapy are wonderful. Whisper “I love you,” over and over. Love is the greatest balm.

When this process is over, you will have no regrets.

by Anonymousreply 107August 11, 2022 2:20 PM

Op, that's the same way my mother died. I would take damp cloths and caress her face, she responded to that. Being there, talking to her, and gently touching aids in a gentle exit.

by Anonymousreply 108August 11, 2022 2:36 PM

❤ To the great majority of posters on this thread, I am sending you my biggest and best hugs, and hoping you find your peace in knowing that you were there.

And, to the handful of heartless bitches who never seem to know when to keep their big mouths shut, I'm sending you a giant swift kick in the ass with my steel-toed sandals.

by Anonymousreply 109August 11, 2022 4:54 PM

Can we have her stuff?

by Anonymousreply 110August 11, 2022 8:56 PM

I have too much to say but I won't write it all now. I just saw this thread and I hope you are well. So sorry you are going through this.

by Anonymousreply 111August 11, 2022 9:56 PM

Mom hasn't eaten for 8 days and hasn't had more than a sip or two of water per day in all that time. She hasn't had any water in the last 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 112August 15, 2022 12:45 AM

Here's a hug, OP.

((((((HUG))))))

by Anonymousreply 113August 15, 2022 12:48 AM

It's good that you are there for her.

by Anonymousreply 114August 15, 2022 12:49 AM

Sing "Just a Spoonful of Sugar" and force some pills down her STAT!

by Anonymousreply 115August 15, 2022 12:50 AM

A gentle “move it along, toots!” is in order.

by Anonymousreply 116August 15, 2022 12:51 AM

Does she like fudge? Fudge will fatten 'er up!

by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2022 12:51 AM

(((Hugs))) OP

by Anonymousreply 118August 15, 2022 12:52 AM

First Olivia, then Anne...and now your mom! OMG...

by Anonymousreply 119August 15, 2022 12:52 AM

Be strong

by Anonymousreply 120August 15, 2022 12:53 AM

I'll just say my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time, OP. I wish I could say something that would give you peace, and I'm truly sorry I can't, but just cherish the moments you have left with your mother. I know you have a ton of emotions but sometimes that can distract you from what's important. It's okay to feel whatever you're feeling, but don't let that take you out of the last moments you have with her. In the long run you'll come to cherish those memories.

by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2022 1:01 AM

Thoughts and hugs and blessings for you, OP.

Tell her you love her. She knows, but it's always nice to hear.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2022 1:08 AM

Maybe he doesn't love her, he just wants her stuff!

by Anonymousreply 123August 15, 2022 1:10 AM

mom died peacefully a few hours ago.

thanks for the kindness.

by Anonymousreply 124August 17, 2022 12:50 AM

My condolences, OP. Your mom was fortunate to have such a loving son. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 125August 17, 2022 12:52 AM

Best wishes to you OP. Get some rest and know you were a great son and comfort to her. May she rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2022 1:07 AM

My sincere condolences. It was good that you were there for her. Many don't get that opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2022 1:16 AM

So sorry, OP. She was lucky to have you, and you’ll never regret the extra time you had together ❤️

by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2022 1:21 AM

Been thru it myself, OP. I understand.

As R127 said, it was good for you to be there. Though I'm sure it was tough.

by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2022 1:25 AM

Sorry OP. Now is the time to bring out your widow’s weeds caftans. Jet earrings are also called for.

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2022 1:58 AM

Mom actually loved giant earrings and caftans so it would be appropriate. She was glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2022 2:23 AM

Hi OP, adding my condolences to the chorus. Losing a mom is truly one of the deepest losses, and I send you peace. It gets better, but it will feel like a nightmare in the first weeks, so take care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 132August 17, 2022 2:40 AM

Where you gonna go now OP?

by Anonymousreply 133August 19, 2022 1:23 AM

Lost my dad this week- f’ing excruciating. It’s rough. X

by Anonymousreply 134August 19, 2022 1:26 AM

Awe. God bless you, OP, and you too, R134, and anyone else suffering through such shit. 🤗

by Anonymousreply 135August 19, 2022 1:30 AM

Sending your hugs and love, OP. As others have said, this is hard now, but when it's over you'll be grateful and proud that you did it.

by Anonymousreply 136August 19, 2022 1:44 AM

OP = Attention Mourner.....No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 137August 19, 2022 1:48 AM

Have you looked for him R134?

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2022 1:44 AM

^ Thanks R138 Forgot i was on DL

by Anonymousreply 139August 21, 2022 1:49 AM

OP, just reading this. I am so gratified for you and your mother that you were able to be with her as she died peacefully. Thank you for sharing with us this journey.

This loss is always a hard loss. It can leave you feeling untethered to the world. Be well.

by Anonymousreply 140August 21, 2022 1:54 AM

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

by Anonymousreply 141August 21, 2022 2:01 AM

I can be hard. My mother deteriorated in front of my eyes. She had Alzheimer's. Having her scream who the fuck are you at me, your not my son..it was painful but I had to tell myself she was not always there. There were moments of clarity but it was so terrible. I hate to say be glad for having time with a coherent mother, but I will. We all will die, getting to spend time with her before she passes is a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 142August 21, 2022 2:04 AM

Thinking of you OP, and you did the right thing staying with her.

I lost my mom on Monday - she was alone in the house, fell, and a relative found her. All I can think about is her being scared or in pain, and no one there to comfort her.

Your mom was so lucky to have you close by to read to her, play her favorite music, and share one last smile.

by Anonymousreply 143August 21, 2022 3:11 AM

God bless you, OP. You and your Mom are so lucky to have each other. I was by my Mom's side when she succumbed to cancer. My two brothers, my Dad and I stood around her as she took her last breath in the hospital. It was a very touch and emotional time, but I am so glad we were all there with her.

by Anonymousreply 144August 21, 2022 3:16 AM

[quote] OP, I've been with both parents when they passed.

Very suspicious...

by Anonymousreply 145August 21, 2022 4:04 AM

You are brave. Love asks so much of us, I’m amazed anyone can do it.

Thank you for trusting us enough to post.

by Anonymousreply 146August 21, 2022 4:24 AM

OP. So sorry for your loss. I see my mom every Saturday and she is source of joy and happiness for me. I hope that you are getting support for yourself. It will do you a world of good to talk to a friend (or a counselor). It will make the pain hurt a little less. Big hugs from up north.

by Anonymousreply 147August 21, 2022 5:19 AM

I will save this thread forever. Thank you OP and posters.

My cherished, kind, beautiful, generous, and very loved 95 yo Mom died on July 28. All of her children were there as she passed in her house in her bed as she wanted.

One grandchild was there, the one who resembled her the most physically and emotionally. Mom kept squeezing her hand until she could no longer.

It’s just horrid to lose a Mom. I miss her so.

Meanwhile, my 97.5 Dad just keeps ticking along in his self-payed (9k/mo) PHX nursing home. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2012 but due to his WW2 service and devotion to physical exercise, his body works but his mind completely left 5 years ago. Had there been a compassionate exit in AZ he would’ve chosen it. At least the upscale nursing home treats him with dignity.

It is so hard to lose a parent. I’ve had such a flood of memories of my sweet mommy who was always there with unconditional love.

by Anonymousreply 148August 21, 2022 1:23 PM

I’m so sorry for your loss OP. Sending you love ❤️

by Anonymousreply 149August 21, 2022 5:45 PM

R142: "I can be hard."

by Anonymousreply 150August 22, 2022 4:06 AM

Ah, OP, I am glad to hear your mother was surrounded by so much love. I appreciate your update and hope your mourning is merciful. I'll pour a little out for her tonight.

by Anonymousreply 151August 22, 2022 4:41 AM

Ah, R148, I thought you were OP, but I wish all of the sons of treasured and lost mothers the same.

by Anonymousreply 152August 22, 2022 4:42 AM

OP/R148 I am sorry to post so late but I am glad your mom's passage was all the things it could be, for you and for her.

Lots of light and love.

by Anonymousreply 153September 2, 2022 1:14 AM

Oops. I see OP is not R148 but nevertheless, all comments still apply.

by Anonymousreply 154September 2, 2022 1:14 AM

OP and others, I hope you're doing well.

My mom's been gone for a while now, and my siblings and I are being asked to provide testimonials to an attorney as there was an issue with her care.

I expect nothing to come of it.

I'm mentioning this because my sibs have nothing to say. In contrast, I am likely going to cut open a vein. The disparity in our recounts will only serve to divide us further.

by Anonymousreply 155September 6, 2022 10:01 PM

Thanks for making us all puke, repulsive cunt OP. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 156September 6, 2022 10:15 PM

^ Don't allow that rancid cunt to bother you, OP. Laugh, bubs - laugh.

by Anonymousreply 157September 6, 2022 10:35 PM

R155, I don't know what you're talking about. But I took care of my mom before she died. My siblings helped, but I was the main person, IMO. I hope that things level out for you and that you start to feel more at peace about how it all played out. Sounds like you have nothing to regret about how you treated your mom and that's what counts, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 158September 6, 2022 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!