Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Woodstock 99 Documentary on Netflix

Jesus this looked gross. Nothing but filth and feces and sexual assault.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151December 20, 2022 8:34 PM

Remember when "Woodstock '94" was just a bullshit corporate money-grab?

Woodstock '99 was violent, muddy, overpriced, and on fire! Thanks, MTV overlords!

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2022 5:59 PM

Those were the days, my friend...

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2022 6:01 PM

I love that Fred Fucking Durst is the villain of episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2022 6:02 PM

Mein Führer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2022 6:17 PM

Really cunt at r4? That thread was started over a year ago, and except for the post last week that bumped it (probably posted by you), it hadn’t been active since August, 2021.

Do you really think people aren’t going to revisit a topic here?

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2022 6:24 PM

I saw the preview a few days ago and I'm still laughing at the person who assumed anything featuring Limp Bizkit would be legendary. It was an obviously bad idea from inception and everyone who attended was a fool. Spending the day at Lollapallooza was fucking exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2022 6:37 PM

Saw the 1970 documentary which focused on the event and the performances. It remains an interesting cultural artifact. The event was held from August 15th to the 18th 1969 a week after Sharon Tate was murdered by the Manson family. Both events signaled the end of an era

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2022 6:39 PM

Everybody always forgets what happened after Diana Ross touched Lil' Kim's tit at the VMAs that same year-the Beastie Boys gave a well meaning but awkward speech condemning the sexual assaults. This is, for some reason, the best quality video of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2022 6:49 PM

Great documentary. The producers are both assholes. Still not taking responsibility all these years later. The one saying it was like a city so you have to expect rapes was especially odious . Nice time capsule to see what bands were popular at the time that no one gives a shit about now.

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2022 12:31 PM

I watched all 3 episodes last night. It was pretty amazing in a scary way to see a quarter of a million bodies packed together to watch bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit (spelling?) because the energy was so hard and angry. I’m kind of amazed nobody got trampled to death. It just looked and sounded like it was so miserable to be an audience member, so it was interesting that 20 years later some say it still was the best time of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2022 12:34 PM

I had a friend in college who went to Woodstock '99. We all thought he was freakin nuts...we remembered what a shit show Woodstock '94 was. Well...

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2022 1:20 PM

The link at cunty R4 relates to the actual festival itself, whereas this thread is about the documentary. So if you’re still reading R4, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2022 2:03 AM

It was all such a corporate money-grab set to the tune of very mediocre music.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2022 2:05 AM

So many of the bands who performed at Woodstock 69 remain legends to this day, while most of the acts at the 99 festival are largely forgotten today, even though they were huge at the time.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2022 2:35 AM

That's demonstrably not true, r14. There isn't anyone who played there that was "huge" in '99 but forgotten today. Maybe Everclear and Jewel.

The acts were basically divided into thirds: "emerging" acts like Serial Joe, who were never big, then big names like Metallica and RHCP, and the last 1/3rd were indie bands who were never "huge" in the first place, like Buckcherry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2022 5:13 AM

There was a quick scene in the third episode where Jewel expertly cunted Sheryl Crow.

A backstage staff guy was warning Jewel before her set that unruly fans had started throwing trash and mud at the performers, and that Sheryl Crow had gotten totally pelted. Jewel is standing there smirking and says "She always does".

It was a hilarious little unprovoked dig, and I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2022 7:01 AM

Let’s go party on an army base and get trench mouth!

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2022 10:32 AM

I remember that land whale Kirstie Alley waddling around drunk at Woodstock 94. 😂

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2022 10:39 AM

The footage of the crowd during Limp Bizkit's set was incredible - the people seemed to be jumping in waves.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 9:20 PM

It was a very bad period for music. Lots of terrible bands/singers at that time. Most of them were over in just a few short years. Kid Rock/Korn/Creed/Limp Bizkit etc.

Awful, awful music.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 9:36 PM

Wasn't there already a documentary on this?

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 9:38 PM

HBO did a doc last year, and it was better.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 9:38 PM

They were legends, man!

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 9:40 PM

I liked the Netflix one better. It captured the late 90s in a way that the HBO doc didn't.

Netflix caught the anger of young people that exploded here and in the Battle of Seattle later that year.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 9:42 PM

HBO also covered the anger, I thought it did a better job of tying in the culture of the late 90s to why so much bad shit happened at the festival.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 10:00 PM

r25, does it feature Joe Leiberman getting upset about Clinton related blow jobs? That was all we really talked about in the late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2022 2:55 AM

I can't imagine being in the sun for so long.

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2022 6:51 AM

R25, that's what old people talked about. To younger people, Clinton and Monica were punch lines.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2022 10:13 AM

I wasn’t old in the 90’s and the Clinton scandal was dead center for a long time. I remember many of us feeling embarrassed for our country that this was the focus in our politics.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2022 11:09 AM

I just finished viewing it. This documentary is an example of white privilege, in my opinion. If black people caused this vandalism, then there would've been HELL to pay

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2022 6:33 AM

Fred Durst was the Donald Trump of Woodstock "94

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2022 6:40 AM

Who the fuck would go without water and wade through human waste to see Limp Bizkit? This festival must have attracted the lowest level of trash.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2022 6:57 AM

Woodstock 99 was peak douchebro. I’m trying to think back as to why that period generated so much douchebro-ism.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2022 7:08 AM

[quote] Woodstock 99 Documentary on Netflix

That's just a typical Friday night in the life of Erna.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2022 7:18 AM

"Who the fuck would go without water and wade through human waste to see Limp Bizkit? "

To be fair, Limp Bizkit and human waste have long been associated with each other so...

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2022 7:21 AM

There were a lot of naked women flashing their shit around. Was this Girls Gone Wild era?

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2022 7:32 AM

R33 the documentary blames movies like American Pie and Fight Club

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2022 9:55 AM

It seemed to me like a massive part of the problem was the idealistic old people involved in organising it who seemed to think the whole peace, love and picking up you own trash shit would work again.

1999 was not the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2022 10:18 AM

Yes I remember that r37 but I’m skeptical that a couple of movies mutated the psyches of millions of young men into something both vapid and evil.

I think it had something to do with being a little boy in the Reagan decade, the ultimate cringe decade. This is something not really brought out in Stranger Things, because the Duffer Brothers were too young to be keen observers of life in that blighted decade. I

t was so crass — people who were adults then will probably recall. The 70s are the source of much humor but they had a quiet dignity compared to the 80s. I think a lot of these loud, empty, backwards baseball cap douches as seen in Trainwreck were just the rancid seedlings of 80s seeds.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2022 3:26 PM

Peoples food and water were conviscated up on arrival. And a lot of these kids didn't have enough $$ to buy the high priced food/water sold at the event. It's disgusting that they saw rapes occuring and did nothing

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2022 3:56 PM

I was 21 when this shit went down and I had no idea about what a modern day hell on earth this was.. I felt like I was watching a horror movie.

When Korn took the stage you could feel the entire momentum kick in to high gear. This was a riveting documentary. Fat Boy Slim came across well, and fucking Fred Durst came across like an utter dead inside sociopath (just from the footage)

I resubscribed to Netflix for this doc and that football player catfished doc, and it was the well worth the 10 bucks!

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2022 7:27 PM

The 90s were not the 60s. It was a different and edgier generation. People tried to bring in food and water....only to be confiscated and forced to pay $4 up to $12 for a lousy bottle of water. The greed was disgusting by the promoters and vendors. I put most of the blame on the promoters....who to this day, still deny any responsibility and softsoap the riots, chaos, greed and rapes. Michael Lang and John Scher continue to say that it was only a "handful...maybe 50 people" who were destructive and there were assholes, but there was control and people had a great time. Just the location of the festival.... concrete and ashalt (sp) surfaces....thousands of heated bodies crammed together....without the easy access of water, food and a place with shade to cool off. The whole thing came down to making as much money as possible, cutting a lot of corners to save money....at the expense of the crowd. The last day, the idea of giving thousands of drugged up, hot, tired and very angry kids at this point, already showed signs of chaos....gee now....what could possibly happen?? The people behind Woodstock '99 were idiots and very greedy...at any cost. Yes...the douche bros and entitlement all around was disgusting. The women could have used more common sense, too....but it was a weekend of debauchery, which is what most kids wanted in going there. Time to put Woodstock to rest.

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2022 7:31 PM

...I meant to add....giving hot, tired, drugged up and angry kids *lit candles (on the last day)^

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2022 7:34 PM

[quote]Michael Lang and John Scher continue to say that it was only a "handful...maybe 50 people"

Michael Lang stopped saying that a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2022 7:50 PM

Lang died in January of this year.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2022 7:55 PM

I was literally gagging at the part about the Port O Potties overflowing, rivers of human shit everywhere, and people actually ROLLING AROUND in it. Unbelievable. WTF was wrong with those people.

If I had been at Woodstock 99 I would've high-tailed it out of there as soon as I saw that.

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2022 8:13 PM

According to opinion polls of the time there were about 30 or so percent of the population who were scandalized that Clinton had an affair and lied about it. Everybody else shrugged and was like, "there are much more important issues going on," and the Democrats won big in the 1998 midterms (launching Chuck Schumer into the Senate, inter alia). That's probably the same 30 or so percent, by the way, who were so blasé about Trump's affairs and lies and who get into a froth over "Hunter's laptop." Plus ça change ....

by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2022 8:33 PM

R49 Once you were in they didn't let you out. Some people tried to leave and they were not allowed. they locked the gates and there was fencing all around.

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2022 9:54 PM

r48 that's not true. People could leave at any time.

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2022 10:06 PM

I'm daring to say that according to all that I've read about this thread and the other one about Woodstock 99 and everything regarding popular music from late 90s, that latin/spanish music (in any genre) was whole lot better than American music/artists from that era.

by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2022 10:53 PM

In 1969 a lot of those guys were worried about being sent off to war. The guys in 1999 had nothing to worry about. I think that makes a very big difference in how people behave. I also noted the lack of People of Color. It did look kind of strange. Yes, the promoters were at fault. I was also annoyed at all the women showing their boobs (my husband and I commented to each other that it seemed strange that none of them had bras on). Obviously, it wasn't the fault of those women that the other women were sexually assaulted (raped), but it didn't help that some of the gals were showing their shit. It made the stupid rapist boys think that all the girls were easy. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 51August 21, 2022 11:00 PM

I had no idea the lead singer of Korn was so endearing. Seems like a decent guy.

I read that a lot of the attendees were unsupervised kids and teens, many as young as 12-14; a lot of the audience members were what we now think of as elder millennials. I had assumed it would skew slightly older to younger Gen X but I think a lot of them were too old for that kind of thing by then.

I was mostly surprised to learn only one person died in the festival, and that was someone's 40-something dad chaperone who'd had a pre-existing heart condition.

by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2022 11:07 PM

Younger Gen Xers were only in their early-mid 20s at the time. There were tons of them there.

by Anonymousreply 53August 21, 2022 11:08 PM

Heather the attendee who they interviewed was only 14 at the time. She came across as almost as big an asshole as the producers.

by Anonymousreply 54August 21, 2022 11:09 PM

Imagine being one of the attendees who said it was still the best experience of their life. How sad and pathetic is that.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2022 11:12 PM

The annoying, obsessive, and frequently in error, Mein Führer Queen at R4 needs to go play in traffic.

by Anonymousreply 56August 21, 2022 11:13 PM

What a (literal) shitshow. I thought about going to Woodstock 99 - I was 22 and lived just an hour away at the time, thank god I didn't. I knew a couple people who went and they said it was so fucking hot they were worried for their health, and everything stank of shit.

by Anonymousreply 57August 21, 2022 11:13 PM

The part about trench mouth made me dry heave. It sounds like a disgusting Lord of the Flies x10000000 kind of experience.

by Anonymousreply 58August 21, 2022 11:15 PM

I could not believe the people who were rolling around in HUMAN SHIT. WTF was wrong with them? How could people possibly be that nasty and disgusting? It's just sick.

by Anonymousreply 59August 21, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote] Heather the attendee who they interviewed was only 14 at the time. She came across as almost as big an asshole as the producers.

What a perplexing thing to say. She was my favorite part of the entire doc.

by Anonymousreply 60August 21, 2022 11:43 PM

i was 27 at the time and remember all the hype around this, and after reading this am fairly sure it would have been a shitty time. No pun intended.

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2022 12:00 AM

Who in their right minds would let a 14-year-old girl attend an out of state 3-day music festival with no adult chaperones? Boomers truly did not give a fuck about their kids.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2022 12:23 AM

That's a good point r62. Most parents would never allow that.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2022 12:33 AM

I just watched this and the organizers come across as just capitalistic pigs in hippie suits. The bands weren't much better. None of them really seemed to give a shit about the crowds. The frat boys were out there in vile force raping and looting , ending up as little nightmare arsonists. The music was bizarre, everything from James Brown to Korn and then they stuck Jewel in there. She seemed like the only note of sanity among the performers. The nineties make these times look like priss on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2022 5:36 AM

Watched the documentary. There was a woman gyrating her hairless pussy all over the place. How she felt that comfortable around armies of douche bros is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2022 6:14 AM

Future Sex Offenders of America.

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2022 6:18 AM

-That was all we really talked about in the late 90s.

R26 Maybe Monica and Linda

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2022 8:57 AM

That Scher guy was and is a real asshole. Even his telling of the hold out between him and James Brown's people over money to perform made him look like a real piece of shit. James should've been that artist you paid everything as soon as it was confirmed he was at the show and ready to perform. But that side exactly what it was about for him and Lang: MONEY.

They cut corners with SECURITY & FOOD. WTF! I mean they should've at least have truckloads of water giving out for free over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2022 9:45 AM

"Organizers come across as capitalistic pigs in hippie suits.." Exactly R64. Especially Lang. Scher is a combative, defensive asshole, too.

by Anonymousreply 69August 22, 2022 11:59 AM

How many of those douche bros back then were at the Capitol on January 6...?

by Anonymousreply 70August 22, 2022 12:02 PM

Here are the beloved, evolved Hippies. This is the world they created. Proud of your achievements, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 71August 22, 2022 12:30 PM

Finally caught this. I vaguely remember that it was happening and remember nothing about the controversy or aftermath. Of course, we didn't have social media back then. I was the primary demographic for Woodstock 99, living in New Orleans but flying to New York to see my much older boyfriend then.

Did anybody else catch the clip of Jewel in her tour bus apparently throwing some catty shade at Sheryl Crow? Someone tells Jewel about the crowd being rowdy and says, "They were throwing things at Sheryl Crow" to which Jewel cooly replies, "Yeah, well they always throw things at her". LOL!

I remember seeing some interviews with Crow's original band members and collaborators and all of them threw her right under the bus as being viciously fame hungry to the point of taking credit for their work and undermining some group contract they were close to getting. Then again, she went on to fame and fortune so I guess it worked out for her. But I'd love to know if there was tension between those two guitar strumming late nineties divas!

by Anonymousreply 72August 22, 2022 2:57 PM

[bold]Women During the Festival:[/bold] "Here's my titties and pussy! Finger me, fuck me, rubb on my titts! Crowd-surf my naked ass all over 200,000 horny deplorables! woo hoo!! Yeahhh!!!"

[bold]Women After the Festival:[/bold] "WE WERE RAPED! IT'S THE ORGANIZERS' FAULT! THEY OBJECTIFIED OUR BODIES! YOU WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR US!!!"

by Anonymousreply 73August 22, 2022 3:04 PM

[quote]I had no idea the lead singer of Korn was so endearing. Seems like a decent guy.

Davis comes from a very abusive background.

His stepmother used to sodomize him with common household objects during his youth.

by Anonymousreply 74August 22, 2022 3:10 PM

R73, you do realize that women are individuals who don’t all think the same things or have the same experiences, yes?

by Anonymousreply 75August 22, 2022 3:12 PM

R75 - I DO indeed. I also know that we also generalize men constantly, and women often get off the hook, more times than not are forgiven for not being their own champions. Every single thing which happens to them is always someone else's fault almost always, especially with assault. There is never any right to objectify or harm the fairer sex. Ever. But we've all been brainwashed or threatened into not daring to question either their honesty or their actions. We didn't hear of anyone reporting being raped during the festival, only afterward. Even in 1999, a young woman would have been able to get help from some of the other guys, they weren't all mouth-foaming rapists. She could have gone to security or the organizers' headquarters. (I'm not including the 14-year-old child in any of my critiques here.)

So yeah, any rapes were horrible, and it was mentioned in the documentary that they located and prosecuted the guys responsible. But we also know that many times, drunken sex that is consensual at the time is often reported later as "rape", and there are a LOT of young men who have gone to prison for being truly innocent. And that begs the question of why more women don't report it when it happens, and why it's often only alleged or reported weeks, months or many years later? Are women EVER responsible for reporting crime? For getting themselves out of dangerous situations when they sense danger? You can't spew being strong and independent one minute then blame others for your poor choices later.

by Anonymousreply 76August 22, 2022 3:27 PM

This was the death of rock era in my opinion. I don’t think it was the nail in the coffin because bands like Linkin Park and Green Day had their moments in the 2000’s but overall, it was the end of “cock rock”.

After this, there was the rise of bubblegum pop, punk pop for kids, and hip-hop and R&B.

by Anonymousreply 77August 22, 2022 3:31 PM

Women putting themselves in dangerous situations is a difficult issue. I haven't put myself in that many of those situations, and have missed out on a lot. But I also haven't been assaulted.

I can't walk along the canal by myself, but a man can.

I can't walk along a city street at night by myself, but a man can.

I can't go to a bar by myself, but a man can.

So I don't do these things. I didn't take my kids out on walks in deserted but beautiful areas unless my husband was with us. He works a lot, so we missed out on a lot. Now they are teens with phones, so we can walk on trails and it seems safer, but we have a lot of time to make up for. But we didn't get assaulted.

I don't know what the answer is.

by Anonymousreply 78August 22, 2022 4:07 PM

Whoever these guys were, they had perfect fuckable asses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 22, 2022 4:33 PM

I wonder how many men were assaulted. You just know someone was preying on those young drugged out frat boys

by Anonymousreply 80August 22, 2022 5:18 PM

They should have had not only free water, but places set up - awnings over a bunch of tables and chairs. And it's amazing how a few simple things could have improved the experience. Four bucks for water?

by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2022 5:27 PM

[quote]We didn't hear of anyone reporting being raped during the festival, only afterward.

It was such a shit show with a "who cares" attitude that maybe it was reported and nobody gave a fuck. Who knows but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

It wouldn't be surprising that none of the organisers would give a fuck if somebody was murdered there. They didn't care enough about the attendees to provide them with free, uncontaminated water and didn't care about trench mouth - everyone had a safe and great time according to them after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 82August 22, 2022 5:43 PM

r78 delusional

by Anonymousreply 83August 22, 2022 6:01 PM

R83, why do you say I am delusional?

by Anonymousreply 84August 22, 2022 6:33 PM

[quote]I vaguely remember that it was happening and remember nothing about the controversy or aftermath.

That's because as the documentary points out, they downplayed everything and concertedly covered up things in the aftermath and MTV had a special to air etc. There was a lot of money at stake. I believe over $25 million in ticket sales alone.

[quote] We didn't hear of anyone reporting being raped during the festival, only afterward.

It was literally a quarter of a million unsupervised kids INCLUDING THE SECURITY GUARDS, many of whom were underage and/or teenagers themselves. Whomst were they going to report anything to?

by Anonymousreply 85August 22, 2022 6:53 PM

Infuriating to watch them interview the organizers in their giant houses looking clueless. Hilarious when the woman is trying to hand out garbage bags. Yeah. Not so much. It's like the teletubbies organized this event.

by Anonymousreply 86August 22, 2022 7:23 PM

Lang was a self hating closeted, trust fund, douche bag. From before Woodstock 1 till the day he died a totally Greedy Pig. Used to swish around Woodstock in his short/short shiny satin running shorts seeing who might 'want him'. Thought he was HOT & Soooo famous!! He was the joke of gay shopkeeprs in town. After he'd swish out of a shop one chuckled & said, who would want that micro penis even if he payed you.

by Anonymousreply 87August 22, 2022 8:07 PM

Oh he was gay? I mean he had that sexually fluid sir to him but I read he was married with kids... Yeah I know I know, that doesn't mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 88August 22, 2022 8:11 PM

R78 This is women’s delusional nonsense. Men are 70% more likely to be robbed than females. Men are more vulnerable to violent acts of crime from being robbed, assaulted, and murdered in public.

Men take the risk and accountability. The idea that nothing will happen to a man if he goes out to jog at night or walks home from a bar and nothing will happen to him is female bullshit.

Men usually carry some forms of protection whether it’s a pocket knife, a gun, or their fists.

It’s just such an ignorant concept. All men are these 6’5 200 pound strong human beings and nothing happens to them.

by Anonymousreply 89August 22, 2022 8:23 PM

You're so fucking ignorant, it hurts, r89.

by Anonymousreply 90August 22, 2022 10:18 PM

The rage of the attendees was undoubtedly informed by the tragic loss of JFK, Jr., the previous weekend.

by Anonymousreply 91August 23, 2022 1:03 PM

Learning curve, large festivals are now required to provide water for attendees

by Anonymousreply 92August 23, 2022 1:42 PM

R92, apparently the first Woodstock did provide essentials for attendees though, or am I misinformed?

by Anonymousreply 93August 23, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote] Peoples food and water were conviscated up on arrival.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 94August 23, 2022 2:09 PM

Oh dear! yourself....

by Anonymousreply 95August 23, 2022 2:28 PM

I was 11 in '94 watching as much as I could on MTV without my overbearing catholic mother yelling at me. The lineup was fantastic esp Primus being the focal point of my memory. '99 was a trash heap. Music had shifted terribly and pretty much sucked from then on. I debated going but so glad i didn't. Luckily I discovered raves which were still underground until that went bust as well. I applauded the Beastie Boys for calling out the rapes. They were good people.

by Anonymousreply 96August 24, 2022 12:08 AM

We’re there any lawsuits following Woodstock 99? Did the victim if rape press charges or file any lawsuits? We’re there any arrests? How many people got sick? How much did organizers make? Does Flea often perform naked? It ended abruptly with many unanswered questions.

by Anonymousreply 97August 28, 2022 9:11 AM

Shitflix is full of terrible/dull documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 98August 28, 2022 9:13 AM

R97 there were dozens of arrests at the festival and after as well. Something like 95 warrants were issued and several dozen complaints about rape. I think about 6 men were ultimately arrested for sexual assault.

by Anonymousreply 99August 28, 2022 9:35 AM

R91 thanks for the chuckle. Genuinely clever and subtle joke. Sometimes I think the posters here have lost the art of wit then I see a post like yours.

by Anonymousreply 100August 28, 2022 9:41 AM

And apparently one picked up on thru the ether as there is now a post eviscerating Jr's sister Caroline.

by Anonymousreply 101August 28, 2022 3:48 PM

OP, I had to laugh when one of the people in the documentary said "this was supposed to be the music moment of our generation!" and then they proceeded to list Bush, Limp Bizkit, Sheryl Crowe, etc. as reasons why Woodstock 99 would be amazing. I think those acts are an indication of how horrible the late 90s were for rock versus just 5 years ago (1994).

by Anonymousreply 102August 28, 2022 4:05 PM

Bush made some great music .

by Anonymousreply 103August 28, 2022 4:07 PM

R16, I noticed that too and I loved it! Jewel can actually be funny (I say that as someone who doesn't care for her music). Sheryl Crow has always been terrible and let's not even get started on her taste in the most odious men out there.

by Anonymousreply 104August 28, 2022 4:11 PM

Was anyone notified when it was determined the water was not potable? Why not shut the venue down? Seems like there should have been a class action lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 105August 28, 2022 4:12 PM

[quote] Bush made some great music .

I don';t think so but hey, we all have our tastes.

by Anonymousreply 106August 28, 2022 4:15 PM

The late 90s were a horrible period for music.

by Anonymousreply 107August 28, 2022 4:15 PM

R107, it was only good for hip hop and R&B. Everything else was shit. Thanks Britney and Limp Bizkit/Creed!

by Anonymousreply 108August 28, 2022 4:18 PM

The music featured was a disaster in itself. There were many cool bands in the 90s but none of them played at Woodstock 99.

by Anonymousreply 109August 28, 2022 4:24 PM

Actually, the mid to late 90s had some of the most interesting alternative bands and performers: Radiohead, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, Pulp, Flaming Lips, Stereolab, Elliot Smith, Sonic Youth, etc. Nu-metal was mostly a US phenomenon. In Europe nobody cared about Korn or Limp Bizkit.

by Anonymousreply 110August 28, 2022 4:34 PM

R103 Said no one ever.

by Anonymousreply 111August 28, 2022 4:49 PM

R110 That's not true. I was in my early teens around that time and Korn and Limp Bizkit were huge in Europe as well. Limp Bizkit were the most popular band on the planet

by Anonymousreply 112August 28, 2022 4:51 PM

Did James Brown get paid? That was a weird way to start the concert and documentary. Did his contract demand prepayment? It was unclear. And why did he ultimately play? It didn’t make sense to me

by Anonymousreply 113August 28, 2022 5:00 PM

Thankfully, Fred Durst and Kid Rock's stardom didn't last long. God, they were atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 114August 28, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote] Radiohead, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, Pulp, Flaming Lips, Stereolab, Elliot Smith, Sonic Youth, etc.

None of these bands debuted or had massive popularity in the late 90s though.

by Anonymousreply 115August 28, 2022 5:40 PM

"Did James Brown get paid? That was a weird way to start the concert and documentary. Did his contract demand prepayment?"

Aretha Franklin would do the same thing, demand to be paid in cash before they'd perform, because when she was young there were too many times when she'd performed and not been pain afterwards.

Which by the 1990s, must have made them seem like relics from another time, but well. If you've been poor and fucked over, the fear of being poor and fucked over again never leaves you.

by Anonymousreply 116August 28, 2022 6:08 PM

Aretha demanded a duffel bag full of cash before she would even step on stage. She counted it herself.

She came from a generation of singers who were royally screwed out of money. They sold millions of records and played one huge concert after another but were constantly getting fucked over when it came to royalties and fees. Many of them ended up in serious financial trouble or even destitute. Aretha was no fool, she wouldn't let herself be a victim like so many others.

by Anonymousreply 117August 28, 2022 8:07 PM

Smashing Pumpkins didn't enjoy massive popularity in the late 90s?? News to anyone who was around and followed popular music back then.

These days, Billy Corgan is a MAGA shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 118August 28, 2022 8:19 PM

No accounting for taste I personally love this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 28, 2022 8:25 PM

Smashing Pumpkins were at their peak in the early/mid 90s. By '99 they'd cooled off.

by Anonymousreply 120August 28, 2022 8:29 PM

I was born in 1980, so I should have been a prime candidate to attend Woodstock 99. But fuck no was I ever going to see a festival with Limp Bizkit and Korn as headliners. No fucking way.

I grew up loving Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, and REM. I knew those horrible nu metal frat bands were shit from the very first time chord I heard from their shitty songs.

This doc gave me terrible flashbacks to just far rock music had fallen after peaking in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 121August 28, 2022 8:32 PM

Ditto r121. The early 90s were great, the mid 90s were awful.

by Anonymousreply 122August 28, 2022 8:34 PM

Nirvana, Jane's, and REM all made solid music. Cobain didn't survive the nineties and Perry Farrell is now unrecognizable. I have no idea what Michael Stipe is up to, but he was never overly dull.

by Anonymousreply 123August 28, 2022 8:35 PM

Sorry, I meant the LATE 90s were awful. I wish we had a damn edit function.

by Anonymousreply 124August 28, 2022 8:42 PM

R123, I don't understand your point? I wasn't commentating on how the bands I cited aged. I mean, of course everyone knows Kurt died. It was pretty big news. Especially to teenagers. I'm assuming I'm missing something in your post?

My point, to be more clear, was that I was raised on a certain kind of rock music. By the time I was graduating high school, a different brand of rock music was popular. And, I contend, it was utter shit. I wanted nothing to do with it. Even though I love(d) rock as a genre.

As a result, it made perfect sense to me, even in 1999, that Woodstock turned out to be chaotic and dangerous. Given the bands playing there.

by Anonymousreply 125August 28, 2022 10:10 PM

I'm sorry Herr 125 I didn't know my posts needed validating. Please do give me your number for texting, I'll be sure to check in with you beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 126August 28, 2022 10:14 PM

Oh your posts don't need validating at all, R126. Normally I would have simply ignored such an inane post.

However, since you referenced my post in your post (BREAKING NEWS: Kurt Cobain has died! Perry got old!), I felt the need to see if I might have missed something in what you were trying to say.

Clearly I did not miss anything.

No texting needed. Be well.

And listen to some good music tonight!

by Anonymousreply 127August 29, 2022 3:20 AM

Mhmm.

by Anonymousreply 128August 29, 2022 4:17 AM

Every aspect of that event looked like hell on earth to me. No appeal whatsoever. The people in attendance seem like another species to me.

by Anonymousreply 129August 29, 2022 4:22 AM

even motley turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 130August 29, 2022 5:58 AM

Do either of the productions show the Ray Conniff Singers performance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 29, 2022 10:57 AM

Some people say Woodstock 99 killed the 90's. Some people say it was 911? What do you gays think?

by Anonymousreply 132August 29, 2022 11:56 AM

[quote]LATE 90s were awful

Hard disagree. The Y2K era was a fun ending to the greatest decade of all time, but Woodsuck 99 was undoubtedly a low point.

by Anonymousreply 133August 29, 2022 12:02 PM

r133 I meant the MUSIC of the late 90s was awful, if you read my previous post. I didn't say the late 90s itself was awful.

by Anonymousreply 134August 29, 2022 2:02 PM

Ooh, my father loved the Ray Conniff singers and their Christmas album.

by Anonymousreply 135August 29, 2022 5:24 PM

Despite what was happening off stage, are any of the performances themselves any good?

by Anonymousreply 136August 29, 2022 6:34 PM

Alanis Morrisette was good.

by Anonymousreply 137August 29, 2022 6:44 PM

I always thought that song Glycerine was about some chick with good skin. I couldn't make out the lyrics. I might be slow.

by Anonymousreply 138August 30, 2022 10:20 PM

Not a black face to be found in all that chaos.

by Anonymousreply 139August 30, 2022 10:32 PM

There were a few black people there. The HBO doc goes into that.

BTW the HBO doc is better.

by Anonymousreply 140August 31, 2022 1:11 AM

[quote] There were a few black people there. The HBO doc goes into that.

Yeah, we call them Oreos

by Anonymousreply 141September 1, 2022 2:05 AM

Holy shit. Anthony Fucks Kiddos is begged to calm everyone's tits down after they begin lighting fires and what do they do? Play Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire. They are such rapey assholes.

by Anonymousreply 142September 1, 2022 12:46 PM

r139 the blacks knew better

by Anonymousreply 143September 1, 2022 11:19 PM

Watching the female attendee, at 14 (!!!), looking back at the experiences of her & other topless women being groped & blaming it on the-then, regressive, ‘90s culture, blaming it on the various levels of lack of respect. But all from “others,” no accountability, no acknowledgement of a lack of self-respect

by Anonymousreply 144September 2, 2022 4:12 PM

There were nonwhite kids in the audience, but come on, it was mostly white kids acting like animals.

by Anonymousreply 145September 3, 2022 2:43 AM

I watched both documentaries tonight, the HBO/Simmons/Music Box one (about an hour and 50 minutes) and the Netflix three-episode one (each installment about 45 minutes).

Most here who have seen both are saying HBO is better, and I agree. It's tighter, and the talking-head commentary on the sociological aspects and the cultural context is more trenchant, tougher. If you're interested in this subject and you only want to watch one of these, and HBO Max is one of your streaming services, go with that one.

Netflix does have points in its favor, though. Their documentary is more assiduous in tracking the timeline, and there's more of the music, for good or ill. I don't have nostalgia for most of these acts, but Netflix's longer run time gives the stage more coverage. We always know at what point in the three-day extravaganza each act is performing.

John Scher comes off horribly in both. On HBO, he's blaming the negative coverage of MTV for the way the festival is remembered. Not to rest on his laurels, for Netflix, he's comparing the 200,000-250,000 attendance figures to the population of a good-sized city, and then reasoning that only four or five rapes is a pretty good outcome.

by Anonymousreply 146September 4, 2022 8:05 AM

The A/V guys were clearly shit.

This is probably the longest mic check in concert history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 4, 2022 8:45 AM

I thought about going to Woodstock 99 when it was announced, I was in my early 20s and at the time I lived only a couple hours away from where it was going to take place. Then I saw the lineup - Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Creed, Korn, etc. All douchebag frat boy bands. I said "no way am I going to a shitshow like that." Glad I didn't. When I watched the Netflix doc, I was gagging at the people who were rolling around in literal shit. OMG that was beyond disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 148December 19, 2022 11:06 PM

John Scher is a mega-asshole. I know Michael Lang died not too long ago, he came off as so smug.

by Anonymousreply 149December 19, 2022 11:08 PM

R146, thank you for today's vocabulary lesson!

by Anonymousreply 150December 20, 2022 6:35 PM

If that was the state of music in 1999, then no wonder it sucked.

by Anonymousreply 151December 20, 2022 8:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!