Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Terrible performances by great actors

I think Laurence Olivier as Neil Diamond's father in The Jazz Singer takes the cake.

But Meryl Streep in August: Osage County is up there

by Anonymousreply 239March 8, 2023 2:44 AM

Jodie Foster as Nell

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2022 5:39 PM

Meryl Streep in "Doubt" is ham beyond belief. She sounds exactly like Cloris Leachman as Nurse Diesel in "High Anxiety". When I started laughing at Streep's voice, I was invited to leave the movie theater where I was seeing the film.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2022 6:38 PM

I was fine with Streep in "Doubt" (despite the wacky nun's habit), but she was ridiculously over the top in "August: Osage County."

Al Pacino was a fine actor when he was younger, but almost everything he's done in the past 25 years is awful, with "Scent of a Woman" and "House of Gucci" being genuine career lows.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2022 6:50 PM

Gene Hackman as Lex Luther in Superman II.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2022 6:51 PM

I don’t know if he’s considered a “great” actor, but Tom Hanks was absolutely embarrassing in Forrest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2022 6:53 PM

Something called "Ozark El...."

Oh, you said "great actor."

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2022 6:56 PM

Marlon Brando in The Island of Doctor Moreau, rockin’ the caftan and scarf:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2022 7:11 PM

Herro...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2022 7:15 PM

Sean Penn in Mystic River. Utter hambone.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2022 7:21 PM

[quote]Al Pacino was a fine actor when he was younger, but almost everything he's done in the past 25 years is awful, with "Scent of a Woman" and "House of Gucci" being genuine career lows.

I can’t stand his yell-speak schtick. In Scent of a Woman, it was as if he was speaking in a raised voice at his own character the way stupid people speak in raised voices around the blind.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2022 7:41 PM

Olivier was absolute shit in the TV movie of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof".

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2022 7:43 PM

Viola Davis as Michelle Obama on the Showtime series "First Ladies" The lips.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2022 7:57 PM

Meryl in The Iron Woman. It's just a caricature, not really acting.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2022 8:20 PM

Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher. It's extremely generous to call her great, but I'd at least consider her generally skilled and capable of nuance and restraint. I read that she didn't allow her boyfriend, the director, to direct her at all out of fear it would effect their relationship. Darling, if you're going to fuck a man for a juicy role (and why else would she be with that fuggo?) you should at least make the most of the part!

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2022 8:24 PM

Streisand in For Pete’s Sake?

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2022 8:36 PM

Counterpoints:

I loved Brando in Dr. Moreau. He knew precisely what he was doing. No one in that film was going to upstage him.

And Gene Hackman was ace as Lex in the Superman movies. He has a deft touch with comedy and it worked quite well opposite the magnificent trio of career criminal Kryptonians.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2022 8:36 PM

OP, I can only assume you didn’t see Olivier in “The Boys from Brazil”

He was even worse

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2022 8:37 PM

R10 I agree with you about young Al being an incredible actor and older Al being way too OTT. I didn't think he was as bad in the Gucci film but the way he portrayed Aldo seemed too American to me.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2022 9:14 PM

I haven't seen it since it came out, r15, but I remember the movie as being silly but Barbra was fine.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2022 9:21 PM

Jackie Bisset in Wild Orchid Two.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2022 9:22 PM

Take your pick...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2022 9:25 PM

Fredric March in "Inherit the Wind."

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2022 9:28 PM

Olivier in Inchon

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2022 9:30 PM

Bette Davis in "Connecting Rooms."

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2022 9:32 PM

Barbara Stanwyck is Union Pacific

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2022 9:33 PM

IN Union Pacific. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2022 9:35 PM

Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2022 9:42 PM

Was Mickey Rooney ever a “great actor?”

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2022 9:44 PM

Marlon Brando - Mutiny on the Bounty

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2022 9:48 PM

Judi Dench in the movie version of "Cats."

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2022 9:49 PM

R19, the joke is labeling Barbra Streisand a "great actor."

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2022 9:50 PM

Olivier as Shylock. Mickey Rooney was hilarious in B at T

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2022 9:54 PM

I know that it's a DL truism that Streep was terrible in AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, but I'd direct anyone who calls her "over the top" in it to watch Deanna Dunagan's Tony-winning performance in the same role. I've yet to see anyone acknowledge that Dunagan was every bit as broad in the part.

For the record, I thought that both women were brilliant in it. But small-scaled they weren't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2022 9:56 PM

While I often defend Streep on this board, I'll admit that her filmography contains at least 2 terrible performances: THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN (even she admits that this one didn't work) and FALLING IN LOVE. I'm also not wild about her Big Scene in THE HOURS (the one in the kitchen).

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2022 9:59 PM

R32, yeah, hilariously bad

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2022 9:59 PM

Mickey Rooney peaked very late. He’s quite affecting in the Bill TV-movies and somewhat frightening in Babe:Pig in the City, which is a fucking masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2022 10:04 PM

Helen Lawson in "The Josephine Baker Story." That full body blackface....Oy!

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2022 10:37 PM

Sam Elliott in 2015's "I'll See You In My Dreams" I was laughing so hard at his character. I couldn't take him seriously.

Also anything Blythe Danner.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2022 10:42 PM

Patti as Rose

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2022 10:43 PM

Cher in Burlesque. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2022 10:44 PM

I just didn't buy Julia Roberts as Harriet Tubman

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2022 10:44 PM

I agree somewhat R33. Violet is a crazy nasty matriarch role that can't be underplayed. I saw Dunagan onstage and she was brilliant.

I think the difference between her and Streep is that she embodied the part while Streep was "acting" it for the most part.

One scene that Streep did absolutely nail was the one where Violet is on the swing telling a story about a nasty trick her mother played on her about a present.

I'd also say that Amy Morton was infinitely better than Julia Roberts as the oldest daughter.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2022 11:18 PM

The CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF with Olivier doesn't have one decent performance in it.

The only Olivier performance from his last years that was impressive was in BRIDESHEAD REVISITED.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2022 11:22 PM

Anybody is better than Julia Roberts in anything.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2022 11:22 PM

Julia Roberts sucks.

Jack Nicholson in “A Few Good Men”

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2022 11:32 PM

Jared Leto in Basil

Playing a Victorian era English gent. He's as bad as you'd expect from that description

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2022 11:42 PM

Heath Ledger in The Four Feathers. I don't know if I'd call her great, but Kate Hudson is awful in the same film

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2022 11:44 PM

How can we omit you-know-who in Meet the You-Know-Whos?

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2022 11:59 PM

And what a train she was, r25...

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2022 12:03 AM

I didn't go nuts over Meryl in August, because I thought the movie itself was bullshit. But there was one part, where Violet is really drunk and she puts on a record and starts dancing to it in the living room that made the hairs on my arm stand up. My father was an alcoholic and used to behave similarly, and Streep had the movement and the affect done perfectly. I was brought immediately back to being a kid and watching that behavior from him.

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2022 12:17 AM

I have to disagree. I love Union Pacific and Stanwyck is just fine. Young Robert Preston, Joel McCrea and hissabble villian Brian Dunleavy are hot. Not a great film but DeMille decided to do a Western and as was his wont, it was big, spectacular and fun!

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2022 12:19 AM

"Stanwyck may never have been as good as Davis at her best, but she was never as bad as Davis at her worst. In fact, she never gave a bad performance."

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2022 12:22 AM

Glenda Jackson in THE INCREDIBLE SARAH. She was playing Glenda Jackson.

Maggie Smith in TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT. Mannered beyond belief.

Judy Davis in FEUD as Hedda Hopper. A clownish performance, though you could say it's what that crap script deserved.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2022 12:29 AM

Streep in MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE was the definition of one note. And while I wouldn't say her performance in POSTCARDS is terrible, I would say it's oddly out of synch with the rest of the movie. I don't know if that was her intent, but she seems to be playing in a different movie from everybody else.

[quote]Maggie Smith in TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT. Mannered beyond belief.

I caught this a few months back finally. I liked her in it, but Katharine Hepburn who was the original choice, probably would have been a much better fit.

The one who really sticks out in this movie is Cindy Williams. She seems too modern for the rest of the film and her scene doesn't really gel with the rest of the film.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2022 12:34 AM

Meryl is great in Postcards!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2022 12:38 AM

Agree, r54. Travels is one of my favorite films but it is very, very flawed and has its definite ups and downs. But when the film and Maggie are good, they are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2022 12:38 AM

R51, her "Irish" accent was abysmal. And I say that as a fan

by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2022 1:50 AM

James Franco in Queen of the Desert. So, so bad.

by Anonymousreply 58August 5, 2022 1:51 AM

Meryl Streep when she sings. In anything. YIKES.

by Anonymousreply 59August 5, 2022 1:53 AM

Speaking of Al Pacino.... in that Adam Sandler movie Jack and Jill. Oh the humanity!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 5, 2022 2:04 AM

I just didn't buy Robert Redford as Sen Joseph McCarthy

by Anonymousreply 61August 5, 2022 2:07 AM

Marlon Brando - Desiree

by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2022 4:27 AM

Anyone want to elaborate on what was so bad about Meryl's performance in August:Osage County? I'm related to someone like that character, and it's like she's starring in a really bad lifetime movie. I'm not sure how anyone could portray her histrionics without looking foolish.

by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2022 5:23 AM

Leo as J. Edgar.

by Anonymousreply 64August 5, 2022 7:11 AM

R60 no - his scenes are actually hilarious. I could never get thru the rest of the movie - probably the worst of all time - but anyone who can be THAT entertaining in a movie THAT abysmal has got it going on. I could watch that Dunkaccino clip everyday.

That’s why all his scenes are available to watch separately so no one actually has to sit thru the movie.

by Anonymousreply 65August 5, 2022 7:28 AM

Laura Dern in Rambling Rose

She was hammy.

by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2022 7:52 AM

[quote] Olivier as Shylock.

Have you seen George Arliss in the role?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2022 8:36 AM

Leslie Howard in GWTW. Whatever did she see in him?

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2022 8:58 AM

A bad toupe and a little dick?

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2022 9:12 AM

Streep in The French Lieutenant's Woman and Plenty. She said on Graham Norton she considers the first bad, but both are excrutiatingly clockwork, where she seems more focused on getting her accent right than being emotionally true.

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2022 9:15 AM

[quote] Streep in The French Lieutenant's Woman

I don't care about her so-called 'terrible performance' in this beautiful film.

She was playing psychopathic prick-teasing bitch with which the audience had no sympathy. The audience cared more about the beautiful cinematography and the lovely Jeremy Irons playing a character not unlike Charles Darwin.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2022 9:23 AM

[quote]I think the difference between her and Streep is that she embodied the part while Streep was "acting" it for the most part.

As I always say about Streep, you can hear the wheels turning inside her head. Click, click, click.

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2022 9:53 AM

When I watch your films, Kate, all I can think is “Lick, lick, lick.”

by Anonymousreply 73August 5, 2022 9:59 AM

[quote] Click, click, click.

Yes, the woman was a calculating, machinating lying bitch who destroyed the lovely, love-sick man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2022 10:07 AM

[quote]Click, click, click.

It's so true. She's very mechanistic: most especially for some reason when doing English character roles. I often play a game with myself when watching a Streep film, judging when she'll do a gesture or intonation I know she'll do, down to the second. Click, click, click. Unlike a genuinely naturalistic actor like Denzel.

However, in Out Of Africa she was truly great.

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2022 10:16 AM

May get racked over the coals for this as he won an actual oscar for it but Sean Penn as Harvey Milk was ATROCIOUS. Like, objectively terrible, ott and cartoonish. I still cringe.

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2022 11:56 AM

Cate Blanchett’s pretty bad in Lord of the Rings. She talks and moves likes she’s on muscle relaxants

by Anonymousreply 77August 5, 2022 12:14 PM

Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. Every gay stereotype. I didn't see it on first release, only later on cable. I stuck with it until he started flaming out, dancing around to Callas singing. "This is why we can't have nice things" I thought as I turned off the TV.

by Anonymousreply 78August 5, 2022 1:20 PM

Although I love the movie, Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard. Apart from a few scenes, she is a complete ham in it. A more subtle performance would have worked better. It probably held up better in 1950 than it does today.

by Anonymousreply 79August 5, 2022 2:07 PM

Dustin Hoffman in Rainman.

by Anonymousreply 80August 5, 2022 2:15 PM

[quote]Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. Every gay stereotype.

Tom Hanks didn't write the script.

by Anonymousreply 81August 5, 2022 2:19 PM

R79 - Gloria Swanson is playing a former silent movie actress so she is meant to be hammy.

by Anonymousreply 82August 5, 2022 3:01 PM

Joanne Woodward in A Fine Madness, a rare bad performance. Joanne is strident and unfunny in this comedy.

by Anonymousreply 83August 5, 2022 3:03 PM

LEE GRANT in It's My Party. Italian mothers everywhere should have been offended.

by Anonymousreply 84August 5, 2022 3:10 PM

Woodward is also not good in another semi-comedy THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS with George C. Scott. But the script is so bad, it's really not her fault. A terrible movie.

Come to think of it, A FINE MADNESS is pretty bad too.

by Anonymousreply 85August 5, 2022 3:14 PM

A Fine Madness is ruined by Sean Connery - every role he played is full of *attitude*, that's all he does in movies. Now of course Connery didn't write the script, but it's very one dimensional, as is his performance. Lots of male stars became "all attitude" in the 1960s, Rock Hudson too.

by Anonymousreply 86August 5, 2022 3:19 PM

Regarding TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT, Smith is only good in the flashback scenes where she's playing close to her age. But that's a small part of the movie and she's dreadful the rest of the time.

by Anonymousreply 87August 5, 2022 3:19 PM

R86, I would add Paul Newman to the "all attitude" list in a number of films, especially in stuff like HARPER.

by Anonymousreply 88August 5, 2022 3:21 PM

True, R88, thanks for pointing it out.

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2022 3:23 PM

Jim Franco is a “great actor”?

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2022 3:25 PM

R11 Olivier’s Big Daddy is one of the most excruciating performances ever captured on film. His Southern accent is Dick Van Dyke-caliber.

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2022 3:26 PM

[quote] LEE GRANT in It's My Party. Italian mothers everywhere should have been offended.

Why? Her character was Greek.

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2022 3:35 PM

Audrey Hepburn in “My Fair Lady.” I thought she was all wrong for it.

by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2022 3:40 PM

R93, agree. She was too posh, you're not surprised when she turns into a swan. Too old as well

Also agree with Leo as J. Edgar. Even Armie Hammer out-acted him

by Anonymousreply 94August 5, 2022 5:23 PM

I might have to turn in my gay card for this, but I have never gotten the adoration for Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment. I find her to be the weak link in an otherwise terrific movie.

And I like Debra in other movies. But there's such a hardness and coldness to her in this, especially in the scenes with her kids. Not that Shirley is exactly warm either. But with Shirley, its more passive aggressive. Debra just comes off as a raving bitch.

I wonder how it would have fared if Sissy Spacek had been cast as originally intended.

by Anonymousreply 95August 5, 2022 5:30 PM

Might be an unpopular opinion: While Heath Ledger was a very compelling and nuanced actor - but his final film playing the Joker was distractingly awful, mannered, mumbly, and scenery chewing. I think the hype of his getting that role, and then the hype of his tragic death made everyone have rose colored glasses when watching and critiquing his performance.

by Anonymousreply 96August 5, 2022 5:31 PM

[quote]I have never gotten the adoration for Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment.

I have never gotten the adoration for the MOVIE Terms of Endearment.

by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2022 5:36 PM

R96, totally agree. I thought he was hammy

by Anonymousreply 98August 5, 2022 6:18 PM

R96 and R98, completely agree. I am not really a fan of the Christopher Nolan Batman films in general, but find his performance almost unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 99August 5, 2022 6:27 PM

I disagree re: Winger. She played Emma heartbreakingly real. She had a lot of anger at herself for getting stuck in a bad marriage and realized that it was more important to her to prove her mother wrong than to be happy. Those kind of self esteem issues are going to manifest themselves in all kinds of ways, and Winger (and the writing) understood that perfectly. Emma is one of the most human, imperfect, fascinating characters ever in film. She doesn't give the audience an easy route to liking her, but you cannot help but watch her.

by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2022 7:15 PM

Some say Anne Bancroft in night, mother. The Bronx Anne miscast as a Southern housefrau but I think she has her moments.

by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2022 8:13 PM

^Bancroft was miscast in almost everything after the Graduate.

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2022 8:22 PM

[quote] Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard.

Moron.

by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2022 10:41 PM

Bancroft was wonderful in GARBO TALKS, 80 CHARING CROSS ROAD, the remake of TO BE OR NOT TO BE, and HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.

by Anonymousreply 104August 6, 2022 2:44 AM

^ yup, and The Turning Point.

by Anonymousreply 105August 6, 2022 3:04 AM

The Brookses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 6, 2022 3:48 AM

^ Is that terrible or great?

by Anonymousreply 107August 6, 2022 4:03 AM

[quote] I know that it's a DL truism that Streep was terrible in AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, but I'd direct anyone who calls her "over the top" in it to watch Deanna Dunagan's Tony-winning performance in the same role. I've yet to see anyone acknowledge that Dunagan was every bit as broad in the part.

You can be way over the top on stage and have it work.

It's much, much harder to do that on the screen. The screen is very intimate.

by Anonymousreply 108August 6, 2022 4:07 AM

[quote] I just didn't buy Julia Roberts as Harriet Tubman

No one intelligent has ever called Julia Roberts a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 109August 6, 2022 4:12 AM

[quote] The screen is very intimate.

Yes, Flora Robson mentioned she had a favourite device of slightly raising her eyebrow when on stage at the Old Vic Theatre.

William Wyler told her that her raised eyebrow was the equivalent of 3 feet when shown on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 110August 6, 2022 4:25 AM

All you have to do is see Nancy Kelly and Patty McCormack in "The Bad Seed" to see how two highly praised stage performances come across as ludicrous when the actresses were asked to film the same play too quickly before they could figure out how to tone down their effects.

by Anonymousreply 111August 6, 2022 4:30 AM

Adapting a great stage performance for film is an artistic challenge very few of us have mastered!

by Anonymousreply 112August 6, 2022 4:42 AM

Ruth Buzzi as the "Love Boat" ventriloquist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 6, 2022 5:49 AM

Uta Hagen is a legendary stage actress, famous for Tony-winning performances creating the roles of Georgie Elgin in "The Country girl" and Martha in 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wooklf?"

But she is unintentionally campy as Maria the German maid in "Reversal of Fortune": "My lady is NOT di-a-bet-ic!"

by Anonymousreply 114August 6, 2022 6:22 AM

R100, I agree completely, one of the finest performances of a complex character in film.

by Anonymousreply 115August 6, 2022 6:40 AM

Nancy Kelly's performance still works because she is aware of what her daughter is capable of, yet it tormented because she loves her and doesn't want her to go to prison. Patty's pretty terrific -- you know that the movie ending was tacked on because of the censors. It does help to watch the movie from as far away from the screen in the room you can get though. Yes, Kelly especially should have had the director tone down her performance, but it's still a great, fun film to watch. Partly camp, partly deeply touching human drama during Eileen Heckart's two big scenes.

by Anonymousreply 116August 6, 2022 6:57 AM

R113, I thought that was Kathy Griffin!

by Anonymousreply 117August 6, 2022 7:05 AM

[quote]R100 I disagree re: Winger. She played Emma heartbreakingly real. She had a lot of anger at herself for getting stuck in a bad marriage and realized that it was more important to her to prove her mother wrong than to be happy.

Emma was one of the most talented mothers, and daughters, ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Texas. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 118August 6, 2022 7:17 AM

I'm reading Terms of Endearment right now and boy, is it different from the movie. Much more emphasis on Aurora than Emma.

by Anonymousreply 119August 6, 2022 7:20 AM

Streep shouldn't be on this thread at all. She is not a great actor, merely adequate at best.

by Anonymousreply 120August 6, 2022 7:23 AM

She’s not a great actress, though usually effective… but this scene of Susan Hayward’s is the worst acting I’ve ever seen by a major star. Call me cosseted.

When she’s yelling up the stairs and heaving on the banister I lose it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 6, 2022 7:33 AM

Christian Bale in Vice. A very affected performance. He looked like he was doing an SNL skit.

by Anonymousreply 122August 6, 2022 7:53 AM

R121- its a pity that clip ends before we get the scene between Susan and Bette. We know they hated each other in real life and in the scene Susan smirks at Bette's anger at her. Susan Hayward was afraid of no one!

by Anonymousreply 123August 6, 2022 9:07 AM

Geraldine Page was considered to be a great actor but her Oscar-winning performance in A Trip to Bountiful is unwatchable. She is equally awful in Interiors but that has camp appeal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 6, 2022 9:11 AM

[quote]We know they hated each other in real life

Did you know that Susan's idol, Barbara Stanwyck, was less than fond of Bette too?

by Anonymousreply 125August 6, 2022 12:49 PM

Jerry Lewis in The Day The Clown Died.

by Anonymousreply 126August 6, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote]R215 Did you know that Susan's idol, Barbara Stanwyck, was less than fond of Bette too?

Stanwyck’s personal carpet muncher, The Widow Steele, turned her against Davis early on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 6, 2022 6:59 PM

Actually, Stanwyck got mad at Davis when she showed up late on the 1932 version of So Big that they appear in together.

by Anonymousreply 128August 6, 2022 7:18 PM

Stanwyck must have had good professional boundaries. She must have been furious Crawford got MILDRED PIERCE when she herself had a deal with Warner Bros. and wanted the role.

(And frankly, Stanwyck would have been better as Mildred.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 6, 2022 7:40 PM

R5- He's not even a GOOD actor and he's humble about the talent he doesn't even have.

by Anonymousreply 130August 6, 2022 7:43 PM

R129- I can picture her as Mildred Pierce. I bet she would have done a good job playing her too.

by Anonymousreply 131August 6, 2022 7:44 PM

She would have been a bit more ferocious and hard headed. Crawford mostly plays Mildred like she’s a sap.

by Anonymousreply 132August 6, 2022 7:50 PM

Olivier as Lawrence Harrrrrdeman in The Betsy. Poor Katherine Ross had to watch him fuck a maid.

by Anonymousreply 133August 6, 2022 7:55 PM

R129- Still this is one of THE best scenes in cinematic GAY history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 6, 2022 8:03 PM

Honestly, a ton of Oliver's later performances could qualify for this thread

by Anonymousreply 135August 6, 2022 8:13 PM

Stanwyck would have broken Veda's nose with that slap

by Anonymousreply 136August 6, 2022 8:40 PM

Anything Robert DeNiro has done in the last 20 plus years. He has become a total hack.

by Anonymousreply 137August 6, 2022 9:22 PM

R135 Misspelled, doubly ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 138August 6, 2022 11:00 PM

Nicholas Cage in "Peggy Sue Got Married".

I know he's easy pickings because of the career choices he's made over the years, not to mention his crazy reputation, but he IS a very talented actor, capable of turning in the occasional great performance.

I remember watching this movie and being completely baffled by what he was doing onscreen. I can't recall ever seeing a performance that seemed so out of sync with everything else around it.

Apparently Cher dug it, and picked him for "Moonstruck" based on his work in "Peggy Sue", but I just didn't get it. At all.

Maybe he knew the movie was shit, and just decided to swing for the fences and do whatever the fuck he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 139August 6, 2022 11:28 PM

R139, I doubt it since his uncle directed the film.

by Anonymousreply 140August 6, 2022 11:46 PM

Robin Williams, The Angriest Man in Brooklyn. To be charitable, maybe it was the film more than Williams. To be charitable.

by Anonymousreply 141August 6, 2022 11:54 PM

R128 Nobody wore shoulder pads better than me.

by Anonymousreply 142August 7, 2022 12:24 AM

Didn't Olivier admit that he took on many of those later film performances because he was offered such obscene salaries nobody would turn them down? I think he deliberately went over the top sometimes so the producers would think they were getting their money's worth.

by Anonymousreply 143August 7, 2022 12:30 AM

It's a testament to Kathleen Turner that she was able to deliver such a terrific performance in spite of Cage.

by Anonymousreply 144August 7, 2022 12:30 AM

R143 Your first sentence makes sense but your second sentence is pure speculation.

by Anonymousreply 145August 7, 2022 12:32 AM

Of course it is speculation, r145. Why do you think I preceded that sentence with "I think"?

by Anonymousreply 146August 7, 2022 12:38 AM

Kevin Spacey, Beyond the Sea

by Anonymousreply 147August 7, 2022 12:38 AM

Jane Fonda

by Anonymousreply 148August 7, 2022 12:42 AM

"Peggy Sue" is a shit movie? First I've heard of that, I think it is one of the better movies of the 80s.

Cage makes a bold choice, yeah, he's way out on a limb, but he really makes it work in the end. What works for me is we the audience all see what a dope Charley is, but Peggy Sue is the only one who doesn't and it makes her character easier love. After many viewings I think the whole thing works wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 149August 7, 2022 1:26 AM

I liked Nicholas Cage in Peggy Sue as the young version of his character.

by Anonymousreply 150August 7, 2022 1:30 AM

R97: terms is just dreadful--the predictable tearjerker ending, Nicholson giving his usual performance, Maclaine giving a brittle middle aged version what she'd done before, Daniels miscast as a college professor. Winger is the closest thing to a decent performance given the predictable material. Spacek would have made it better only if they shuffled the casting to make it stronger.

by Anonymousreply 151August 7, 2022 2:03 AM

I thought Winger was middling in Terms. Everyone else was more believable than her, and I think it was a well written weepie of the old tradition. I never got the overblown praise for Winger. She never carried a movie and wasn't particularly beautiful or charismatic compared to her peers.

Nicolas Cage only started giving shit performances when he had bills to pay. I love him in all his 80s and early-mid 90s movies, as someone said above he takes risks and isn't afraid to try things that prestige actors don't. He's always MEMORABLE, and that's more important than being technically good or "natural" (which is probably why I don't find Winger that good in Terms - Shirley and Jack were more impactful). Him in Vampire's Kiss is one of the most audacious performances a male actor has given in the last 30ish years. That and Christian Bale in American Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 152August 7, 2022 2:28 AM

Meryl Streep is obviously a much stronger actress in general but it was a missed opportunity not to have Jamie Lee Curtis play Suzanne. It’s a little on the nose but she has that grit that Meryl lacks and her real life personality seems closer to Suzanne anyway. It could’ve been a breakout role for her but I could see why she wasn’t cast or didn’t want the role, as she’s always maintained a positive image of her relationship with her famous mom and maybe didn’t want the movie to give the wrong impression.

by Anonymousreply 153August 7, 2022 5:27 AM

Under what spell would Mike Nichols EVER cast Jamie Lee Curtis? She's not his kind of girl. He was a terrible snob about everything.

I'm not saying that Jamie wouldn't have been better. Streep is not so much terrible in the part of Suzanne - but everything she does is WRONG. She's just so wrong for it. She could never pull off young party urbanite tough talking drug taking party chick. She completely hit the wall in that performance. With a few comedic grace notes. And her singing with Blue Rodeo????? Ruins the whole movie, enjoyable despite her. At the very end. Shirley MacLaine is who we remember. She was amazing. HER performance was walking a highwire and taking full risk and completely succeeding!

Mike Nichols was a very unhip guy by that time and Meryl was born with irony where others have GENITALS.

Lots of younger and better actresses could have played Suzanne better. But it's not that kind of movie. From Mary Wickes to Conrad Bain on down - it's Nichols saying I'm going to make some cheap and broad entertainment. And no, Annette Bening was not that memorable either. She was just so MUCH better than Streep.

by Anonymousreply 154August 7, 2022 5:40 AM

R154 = Pauline Kael

by Anonymousreply 155August 7, 2022 6:06 AM

Thanks R155!

by Anonymousreply 156August 7, 2022 6:16 AM

R152- Did you like her as WONDER GIRL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 7, 2022 6:27 AM

Terms of Endearment is one of those movies people think they're SUPPOSED to like so they say they do. Same with that glorified TV western, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

by Anonymousreply 158August 7, 2022 12:37 PM

R37, extra points for the "Flying Fuchs" allusion.

by Anonymousreply 159August 7, 2022 12:49 PM

Jeremy Irons, Meryl Streep and Glen Close in House of the Spirits. What were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 160August 7, 2022 1:00 PM

Butch Cassidy is an enjoyable movie, but not a great one. Newman and Redford clearly enjoyed playing off each other and the mix of comedy and buddy picture made it different from the usual solemnity and single star of most Hollywood westerns. It and the somewhat earlier "Cat Ballou" (as well as other outlay driven films like "The Wild Bunch") made it clear that Westerns needed re-invention even if John Wayne could still make money.

by Anonymousreply 161August 7, 2022 1:41 PM

R160, and Winona, too

by Anonymousreply 162August 7, 2022 1:54 PM

You ain't seen nothin' till you've seen Streep as a Jewish Mother in Prime.

by Anonymousreply 163August 7, 2022 2:14 PM

I love Terms of Endearment. Despite - or because of - their conflicts, Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine had terrific chemistry together that echoes the tense relationships many of us have had with our parents. The supporting cast, Nicholson, Daniels, and especially John Lithgow in a smaller role, were fantastic, but never detracted from the mother-daughter core of the film. Yes, it’s sappy and manipulative, especially with the now very dated score, but it earns its tears in the end. I think Winger is a huge part of that. She comes across as very genuine - prickly and eccentric - but real. Kind of a feat for the era.

by Anonymousreply 164August 7, 2022 2:59 PM

Some people think Joachim Phoenix is a great actor (I don't), but his performance in THE MASTER was truly grotesque. Nothing like a recognizable human being. If it wasn't for Philip Seymour Hoffman, that film would be unwatchable.

Honestly Cage in VAMPIRE'S KISS is also in this category. Some people clearly like that kind of "gonzo acting", but it's self-indulgent not audacious.

by Anonymousreply 165August 7, 2022 3:12 PM

Brian Blessed in Much Ado About Nothing.

I have long followed this great British actor, on stage and in film. Many found his turn in Flash Gordon to be campy and over the top, but that was the direction of the film. The whole thing is a camp fest/cult classic. His bombastic performance in that film made it special, in my opinion.

But when Kenneth Branagh was on a career high, he was cranking out all kinds of stuff, including reworkings of Shakespeare. His 1993 rendering of one of Shakespeare's lesser comedies "Much Ado", is dull, pretentious, saccharine and utterly pointless. It really lives up to its title. But Brian Blessed as Antonio was cringeworthy. In every one of his scenes, he was chuckling loudly and fakely at everything going on, and made the film all that more unbearable.

The madness starts two minutes in to this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 7, 2022 5:19 PM

Raul Julia in "Street Fighter." He was having fun with it, but the whole thing was shit.

Christopher Plummer in anything he's made since "Dolores Claiborne." Too many 'dirty grandpa' movies.

Martin Short in "The Santa Clause 3."

by Anonymousreply 167August 7, 2022 5:45 PM

Christopher Plummer was nominated for three Oscars in his post-Dolores Claiborne career, winning one. (And more than deserved a fourth for The Insider.) I would wager that he gave his best performances after that film.

by Anonymousreply 168August 7, 2022 5:50 PM

R168 That was one of those semi-honorary Oscars they give to old fucks at the end of their career, in part to make up for rejection in their prime.

Al Pacino got one. Morgan Freeman got one. Ruth Gordon got one. And Christopher Plummer got one.

by Anonymousreply 169August 7, 2022 5:54 PM

You're an idiot. Plummer never played any "dirty grandpas."

by Anonymousreply 170August 7, 2022 5:59 PM

Was there anything Christopher Plummer wouldn’t do for cash during his endless string of dirty grandpa movies period?

Honestly, from Captain Von Trapp to this…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 7, 2022 8:26 PM

[quote]Ruth Gordon got one.

Nope. She was brilliant in the best role of her career in an amazing film.

by Anonymousreply 172August 7, 2022 8:47 PM

"Although I love the movie, Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard. Apart from a few scenes, she is a complete ham in it. "

R79, that was deliberate! Norma Desmond is meant to be someone who's lost her identity to her star persona, she's lost or deliberately stifled her ability to communicate like a normal person, and to interact meaningfully with others. This has left her unable to form relationships, and completely out of a touch with a world whose tastes have changed or people who retain the normality she has discarded, leading to her complete isolation and increasing madness.

Everyone understands this but you, and gets that Swanson was fucking BRILLIANT. She's playing someone who literally can't express herself without hamming it up, and who doesn't understand that other humans are completely put off by someone who expresses themselves in ham.

by Anonymousreply 173August 7, 2022 9:05 PM

Richard Burton pretty much sweeps this category. The highlight of his film career is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Despite occasional flashes of brilliance he spent way too much time phoning it in to collect a paycheck or shamelessly chewing scenery. It makes watching one of Burton's early films (he is especially charismatic in My Cousin Rachel, made when he was still in his 20s) a sad exercise in what the hell happened. Booze happened, obviously, but the loss of what could have been is stark and affecting.

by Anonymousreply 174August 7, 2022 9:27 PM

Peter O'Toole also hammed it up in a bunch of junk for $$$

by Anonymousreply 175August 7, 2022 9:29 PM

Are we including or excluding the Complete Works of that great ham, Elizabeth Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 176August 7, 2022 9:56 PM

Exactly. That big bloated vocal fry or SHRIEKING, talentless FAT HAM, Liz Taylor.

She ruined Richard Burton as much as alcohol. Who gets sober with Elizabeth Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 177August 7, 2022 10:20 PM

Liz was far more entertaining than bloviating Richard Burton could be.

by Anonymousreply 178August 7, 2022 10:30 PM

Richard Burton was a great man or real intellect, talent and sensitivity. Liz Taylor was a pretty child star turned greedy drunken whore before she was 25. Famously stupid. A COW with nice coloring.

by Anonymousreply 179August 7, 2022 10:33 PM

"Liz was far more entertaining than bloviating Richard Burton could be."

Except when she was in front of the camera.

by Anonymousreply 180August 7, 2022 10:48 PM

I agree to a degree r173, but Swanson's Norma is not all that "hammy". She's heightened at times sure, but subtle and nuanced all along as well. The parodies, musical and send-ups of "Sunset Boulevard" have given those who are not well familiar with it a false notion that Norma is a caricature and stark raving bonkers from the beginning, but monkey funeral aside, she's clearly not. Though she loses her grip on reality by the fade out, she doesn't start out there.

Of course it remains a singularly brilliant performance even seventy + years later.

by Anonymousreply 181August 8, 2022 1:08 AM

R176, that because Elizabeth was a passable actress at best, nothing "great" about her.

by Anonymousreply 182August 8, 2022 2:30 PM

Jill Clayburgh made a few stinkers but I nominate I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can. One gets the idea that this was imagined to be an Oscar worthy production but nearly everything about it is off. Jill isn't afraid to go big but isn't supported by the director or the script. The only one who emerges unscathed is Dianne Wiest in a small role. .

by Anonymousreply 183August 8, 2022 4:02 PM

Mostly agreed, R183. Nicol Williamson is also embarrassingly bad in DANCING. Weirdly, if I recall correctly, Gerry Page doesn't go over the top and comes off pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 184August 8, 2022 4:10 PM

Peter O'Toole in Rosebud. Truly an example of an actor walking through a role.

by Anonymousreply 185August 8, 2022 4:15 PM

On Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, Phil Rosenthal tells the story of meeting Peter O'Toole and learning all about the financial side of his later years.

O'Toole worked with John Goodman on King Ralph (total piece of shit movie), and learned how wonderful and lucrative it is to be an American sitcom actor. So he called his agents and said "Book me an American sitcom!" They found him a project, co-written by Rosenthal, and lined everything up for pre-production. But at the last minute, the studio suits stepped in and said no. "Peter O'Toole doesn't open a movie, and American viewers have never heard of him. Recast the part!" And it fell apart, and he went back to England.

by Anonymousreply 186August 8, 2022 4:21 PM

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can was a best seller, that's why they hired a name actress like Jill Clayburgh to play the lead.

by Anonymousreply 187August 8, 2022 5:17 PM

Clayburgh's character in "I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can" is named Barbara Gordon, which is Batgirl's name. I always found that funny.

by Anonymousreply 188August 8, 2022 5:49 PM

R186 O'Toole's last 40 years were a non-stop disaster. Alcoholics can't function as human beings.

by Anonymousreply 189August 8, 2022 11:01 PM

^He cruised me one beautiful Spring evening, from the windows of Provence restaurant in Soho, as I was walking home from the pool on Carmine and 6th. Most intense blue eyes I've ever seen. He was right in the window. I had paused to look for something in my gym bag, and "felt" him staring at me, from slightly above. He was as old as water at the time. I nodded, he nodded back, and I headed for home.

by Anonymousreply 190August 8, 2022 11:17 PM

R190, are you male or female?

by Anonymousreply 191August 9, 2022 1:24 AM

^Male. It was probably April, of 1990.

by Anonymousreply 192August 9, 2022 1:29 AM

Oh. I thought it was that lady who made out with Suzanne Somers under a fountain waterfall in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 193August 9, 2022 1:31 AM

^It's funny, at the time it happened I thought he looked to be about 80 years old. I just looked him up, and he would have been 58 at the time, younger than I am now...

by Anonymousreply 194August 9, 2022 1:33 AM

r189

by Anonymousreply 195August 9, 2022 2:09 AM

[quote] Nicol Williamson is also embarrassingly bad

He was a non-event in all his movies.

They only people who claim him to be "great" are those who saw him from a distance on stage— and as we all know stage-acting is a completely different profession from standing in front of a camera.

by Anonymousreply 196August 9, 2022 3:49 AM

Nicol's casting is odd and it signals the fact that he is a bastard from the get-go. Maybe that was intentional. The film includes a swag of theatre actors so that is to be praised but it really helped to kill Clayburgh's short run as an A-lister.

by Anonymousreply 197August 9, 2022 8:26 AM

I’ll add Rosemary’s Baby to that list, r158. A turgid boring piece of shit that people feel they have to praise.

by Anonymousreply 198August 9, 2022 9:01 AM

R192 They'd have to be a frau. Take it from me, Peter O'Toole was all man.

by Anonymousreply 199August 9, 2022 9:29 AM

Another Meryl one is Still of the Night. She is meant to be playing a woman of mystery but her performance is all about her hair. Pauline Kael noted that her most exciting character action happens off-screen - she changes the part in her hair. Meryl gets a long-take climactic backstory speech that is all technique.

by Anonymousreply 200August 9, 2022 10:22 AM

R198, movies "we're supposed to like" is another thread, but Rosemary's Baby was an excellent film adaptation of best selling book even if you don't like it. That's yet another thread.

by Anonymousreply 201August 9, 2022 11:11 AM

I watched Rosemary's Baby recently and I kind of agree it had LOTS of scenery chewing going on in it, especially the hilariously shrill display by Ruth Gordon. And I'm not prejudiced against Polanski; Chinatown is certainly one of the greatest movies ever made.

by Anonymousreply 202August 9, 2022 12:25 PM

I'm not really sure how Ruth Gordon got an Oscar for Rosemary's Baby, as she wasn't all that great in it. But I look at it as a pro-active Oscar for Harold & Maude, which she should have gotten and wasn't even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 203August 9, 2022 2:34 PM

I finally watched SUNSET BOULEVARD for the first time in the early days of the shutdown. I was and still am blown away by Gloria Swanson's performance. It's actually far more subtle, smart and layered than I expected it to be. It's one for the ages, and it should not be in this thread.

I love Mark Rylance and think he's one of the best actors working today. But lord have mercy is he godawful in ANGELS AND INSECTS.

by Anonymousreply 204August 9, 2022 5:57 PM

Jessica Lange in HUSH.

by Anonymousreply 205August 9, 2022 6:02 PM

R203 It was out of respect for her many other performances that were overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 206August 9, 2022 6:07 PM

I disagree with whoever above said Christian Bale in VICE. It's indeed not a great film because they were able to work so little drama into the story; but the only really fine thing in the movie is the scene with Mary Cheney's (Allison Pill) coming out to her parents. Liz Cheney (Amy Adams) is an extremely cold and ruthless woman, and is clearly ready to reject poor anguished Mary, but then she sees that Dick (Bale) would never ever abandon his daughter. His unconditional love for both his daughters is his only humanizing quality (as we've seen again this last week). Once Liz sees how Dick feels, she also pledges support to Mary, even though she clearly doesn't want to.

All three actors are just phenomenal in the scene, and Bale makes Dick's pivot from cold-hearted politician to loving father completely believable. It's one of the finest things I've ever sen him do (he rarely gets the chance to play any warmth in his movies).

by Anonymousreply 207August 9, 2022 6:09 PM

Gordon's performance in ROSEMARY'S BABY has suffered because people wanted her to play that same character again and again throughout the rest of her career, but there had been little like it before that film. (She had played a nagging and irritating mother in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, but almost no one saw it.) She shouldn't be judged badly for that performance just because she later let it become shtick--it really surprised people at the time.

by Anonymousreply 208August 9, 2022 6:13 PM

Williamson is fine in EXCALIBUR and THE HUMAN FACTOR.

by Anonymousreply 209August 9, 2022 6:27 PM

Williamson was such an asshole and a bully. He pretty much destroyed his career in the USA with the Evan Handler incident for I HATE HAMLET.

by Anonymousreply 210August 9, 2022 6:31 PM

R210 - details please!

by Anonymousreply 211August 9, 2022 7:14 PM

[quote]R198 I’ll add Rosemary’s Baby to that list, A turgid boring piece of shit that people feel they have to praise.

ROSEMARY’S BABY is a masterpiece of filmmaking.

You will never be whole until you accept that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 9, 2022 8:16 PM

Google is your friend, R211 -->

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 9, 2022 8:16 PM

Wow, I didn't know Nicol Williamson was such a handful

by Anonymousreply 214August 9, 2022 8:21 PM

R213 That article takes 20 paragraphs to get to the point.

by Anonymousreply 215August 9, 2022 8:52 PM

Long story short: alcoholic Nicol Williamson alienated the cast and crew of Broadway’s I HATE HAMLET (1991) with his arrogant shenanigans backstage, then hit costar Evan Handler with a sword onstage.

The younger actor immediately exited mid performance and never returned to the production.

Life’s too short.

by Anonymousreply 216August 9, 2022 9:02 PM

Was Nicole the first female to play hamlet?

by Anonymousreply 217August 9, 2022 10:15 PM

No, that was me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 9, 2022 10:34 PM

No, Sarah Bernhardt played Hamlet around 1900.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 9, 2022 11:52 PM

R165: Are you kidding? He should've won for The Master instead of Joker. He was terrible in Joker.

by Anonymousreply 220August 9, 2022 11:56 PM

Is Sandra Burnhardt over 120 years old? She's not pretty but she looks GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 221August 10, 2022 12:04 AM

Nicol Williamson = Hopeless drunk.

by Anonymousreply 222August 10, 2022 12:09 AM

Saw Ruth Negga's Hamlet at The Gate theatre in Dublin before it went to Broadway. She was terrific, the rest of the production was meh...

by Anonymousreply 223August 10, 2022 12:16 AM

R233 Such a horrifying name. It needs to be changed.

by Anonymousreply 224August 10, 2022 12:28 AM

I'm waiting patiently to see what R233 will post.

by Anonymousreply 225August 10, 2022 1:21 AM

No, R220, I'm not kidding. Phoenix is terrible in THE MASTER, though I guess it's what Anderson wanted, which shows his bad judgement. I found Phoenix less annoying in THE JOKER, but I wouldn't call that a good performance either.

Nicol Williamson and George C. Scott - two notable alcoholics - starred together on Broadway in a production of UNCLE VANYA (with Julie Christie as Yelena), directed by Mike Nichols. I believe it got very good reviews (correct me if I'm wrong), but Scott and Williamson fought constantly after the opening. Nichols must have had a masochistic streak putting them together, especially after what he had to put up with from Scott a few years earlier in PLAZA SUITE.

Anyone here see that VANYA?

by Anonymousreply 226August 10, 2022 8:39 PM

Rod Steiger in The Pawnbroker. His intensity sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Here he is not helped by the sledgehammer approach by Sidney Lumet and a generic German accent.

by Anonymousreply 227August 15, 2022 11:42 AM

No, no, no, no, no.......it's Steiger's only great performance. I usually tolerate his presence in films, but no, he hit it out of the ball part with The Pawnbroker

by Anonymousreply 228August 15, 2022 2:26 PM

So apparently anyone playing Margaret Thatcher will automatically give a terrible performance...

by Anonymousreply 229August 15, 2022 2:30 PM

Kelli O’Hara in Sex and the City 2 is a great example of a theater actress who can’t adjust her performance for the screen. It was so mannered and over the top. Yes, her character was supposed to be somewhat melodramatic. Miss O’Hara was acting like she was doing Stravinsky in her scene. It was so out of place and distracting.

by Anonymousreply 230August 15, 2022 2:44 PM

R229 Emma Thompson would have been an excellent Thatcher on The Crown, but Miss Anderson is so desperate to stay relevant that she fucked the hideous showrunner for the miscast part. I hope it was worth it for the (extremely undeserved) Emmy, Gill.

by Anonymousreply 231August 15, 2022 2:54 PM

Disagree about The Pawnbroker which has so much bad in it it is unwatchable. In The Heat of the Night is a much better film and Steiger is better in it though he plays a supporting role so not sure why he won the Best Actor Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 232August 17, 2022 11:05 AM

R231 A great idea, and Thompson would've been closer in age to where the real Mrs. Thatcher was in the 1980s. Also, with all due respect to Gillian Anderson, Dame Emma Thompson is simply a better actress across the board.

by Anonymousreply 233August 17, 2022 6:41 PM

Anderson & Thompson are both great actresses, and like all other actresses have had their glory moments and those that they and we would rather forget.

by Anonymousreply 234August 18, 2022 2:40 PM

R234 The only regrettable moment I can recall for Dame Emma was her bullshit guest spot on "Ellen" in its final, post-lez days. But that wasn't her fault. That show went completely fucking BONKERS after she came out. I think in that episode, she had left the bookstore to go be a Hollywood personal assistant to Oscar-winner Emma Thompson. How and Why???

It was like the final season of Roseanne. The show went from "Blue-collar struggles and love" to "Let's re-enact Evita and Under Siege 2 whilst living as zillionaires in our little house!"

by Anonymousreply 235August 18, 2022 3:31 PM

Funny, R235 -- as I recall the Emma Thompson episode was probably the most purely entertaining ELLEN episode after "The Puppy Show." Sean Penn turned up as "himself" in that one too.

by Anonymousreply 236August 18, 2022 11:17 PM

Ben Whishaw in Women Talking. His final scene with Claire Foy is embarrassing. I felt bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 237March 7, 2023 10:49 PM

Agreed, R237. He was handled the most thankless of roles, and he made the worst of it.

by Anonymousreply 238March 8, 2023 2:42 AM

Cate Blanchett in Lord of the Rings

by Anonymousreply 239March 8, 2023 2:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!