Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boones Farm wines

Does anybody remember drinking these cheap wines when they were growing up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2022 2:56 PM

You mean they aren't made anymmore?

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2022 7:30 AM

Aldi has something like it-- Pacific Fruit Vineyards wine for about $4 a bottle. Peach, Mango, Pineapple, Watermelon.

Pineapple is good with Thai food. I like to have a bottle while making Sunday Brunch once or twice a season.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2022 7:36 AM

This guy's description of these "wines" at Serious Eats is hilarious:

[quote] Strawberry Hill: This sneaky bastard looks inoffensively pale pink and smells mild enough, but it tastes overwhelmingly of Welch's strawberry soda, with a sleazy little edge that whispers, "Dude, don't worry, 16's legal in this state!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2022 7:39 AM

[quote] Does anybody remember drinking these cheap wines when they were growing up?

No, not Growing up? We always had juice, milk, water and on rare occasion, soft drinks. Our mom didn’t give us wine or any kind of booze, you ghetto statistic Op.

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2022 7:49 AM

Yes! High school parties. I'd ask a stranger going into the 7 11 to buy them for me because my friends and I were underage. Usually 2 of us would split a bottle. Once, I drank the whole bottle...puke city..bleh

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2022 8:14 AM

Haha...r3 , I had three bottles to share with my friends on my 16th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2022 8:31 AM

Yep, good weed and a bottle of Boone's Farm was a party 🥳 😜

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2022 9:01 AM

Yep. These were the rage with underage girls in my neck of the woods before the proliferation of bottled wine coolers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2022 9:05 AM

Bruce W. liked these adult sodie pops:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2022 9:37 AM

We were T. J. Swan kids.

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2022 7:00 PM

Sorry, T. J. Swann.

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2022 7:02 PM

Oh Yeah. Strawberry Hill. And buying Djarum clove cigarettes at the liquor store with a fake ID. Those were the days!

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2022 7:03 PM

First T-Bird,

then Ripple,

then Rosie O'Grady,

then Strawberry Hill,

then Blue Nun,

and then never, ever, ever again.

Ever.

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2022 7:13 PM

I would be surprised if half of DL isn't still drinking this rotgut in middle age.

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2022 7:17 PM

Well it’s better to drink this and enjoy it than to go around pretending to enjoy real wine

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2022 7:28 PM

R4 you sound insufferable so I'll assume you're joking. In all seriousness, we were far from the ghetto but my mom was known to give us a bit of wine to calm us when she'd had it with all the noise.

OP

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2022 7:34 PM

Yes! When I was in college and super poor I loved these. The green one (Melon Ball) was my favorite, I think it has been discontinued. As a joke a few years ago my husband and I bought a bottle of Strawberry Hill and it was disgusting. Isnt Boone’s Farm flavored malt liquor, not really wine? And made by Gallo…there is no Boone’s Farm vineyard making Strawberry Hill

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2022 7:49 PM

I liked Strawberry Hill as a teenager. I wouldn't even consider it a wine, more like strawberry soda with some alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2022 7:56 PM

Go to drink in high school.

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2022 7:58 PM

A bottle each at .99 cents and by the time we got to the Friday night basketball game we were all smashed.

Senior year. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2022 8:02 PM

In Switzerland we have strawberry wine made from fermented strawberries. It's delicious, though simple, of course. Not a flavored crap wine. There is another that's honey wine mixed with strawberry wine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2022 8:08 PM

I remember that Tthey came out around the time that this sick song sung by Ringo Starr was popular:

You come on like a dream

Peaches and cream

Lips like strawberry wine

You're sixteen, you're beautiful and you're mine (ooh, mine all mine)…

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2022 8:11 PM

Collecting up everybody's $.25 contribution to buy a few bottles and get wasted in the park while smoking cloves and thinking you were the coolest thing on Earth

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2022 8:14 PM

@r17, " Isnt Boone’s Farm flavored malt liquor, not really wine?"

I don't think anyone has ever had it analyzed to find out what it really is. It's like hot dogs, best to not know what's in it 😳

by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2022 8:15 PM

R24, Boone's is actually malt liquor now; it used to be an apple-based wine. But because of incredibly high taxation of wine in 1991, it's now made from malt liquor so you can keep on buying it for cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2022 8:45 PM

My first taste of alcohol was in college and it was Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill.

Long story short, we decided to get late night pancakes and I tumbled down the steps of the bus, narrowly missing a snow-covered fire hydrant.

I’d had less than half of a red Solo cup.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2022 10:22 PM

Thinking more about it, it kinda kills me I basically lived off of Boone’s Farm, Chinese Takeout and cigarettes in college and I was rail thin. Now in my 40s if I have one cookie I gain three pounds. Sucks getting older

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2022 11:01 PM

[quote]R27: Thinking more about it, it kinda kills me I basically lived off of Boone’s Farm, Chinese Takeout and cigarettes in college

Oh, not yet. But we can tell it will.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2022 12:20 AM

My favorite flavor was Country Kwencher. Then I went all high class and switched to Bartles and Jaymes.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2022 1:47 AM

A friend of mine always had to have Tyrolia (sweet white wine in a jug) for parties. I also remember Spañada wine (in a jug as well).

I never liked wine until well into adulthood. Then, only liked red wine (except for sparkling wine & Champagne, prosecco, etc.).

Now, I don't drink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2022 2:12 AM

Boones Farm = fruit-flavored formaldehyde. A nice chilled bottle of Lambrusco made for a great intro into the world of wine back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2022 2:39 AM

I remember Mateus. Vile shit.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2022 3:03 AM

Let's not forget Ripple.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2022 3:06 AM

I tried the strawberry one but it didn’t get me drunk. I lovvved Mad Dog 2020

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2022 3:13 AM

I liked Riunite Sunny Apple.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2022 3:33 AM

MD 20/20, Thunderbird, Wild Roses, CISCO Red. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2022 3:45 AM

Don't forget me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2022 3:48 AM

These look disgusting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2022 4:10 AM

Me and my friends used to pay homeless people $2-3 to buy the strawberry boones for us from 7-11. I loved it then, and felt fancy drinking it under the bridge before going to the underage club.

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2022 4:18 AM

I always wondered, where the hell is Boones farm.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2022 5:37 AM

^ Caledonia Illinois

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2022 5:54 AM

My friends and I never had anyone to buy for us so we just took the situation in our own hands shoplifting from 7 11 our Boones Farm, Ripple, and other cheap wine. Those bottles weren’t squirreled behind the counter. I forgot about that situation until this thread caught my eye.

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2022 6:18 AM

R36, perhaps you'd like to join me for a nice glass of chilled Cold Duck?

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2022 7:16 AM

[quote] I remember that Tthey came out around the time that this sick song sung by Ringo Starr was popular:

That was a cover of a song from 1960, frau.

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2022 2:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!