Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

And The Band Played On (1993)

With monkeypox going around, I wanted to create a discussion about And the Band Played On.

What a powerful film the first time I saw it way back when. It really got to me.

Matthew Modine leads a phenomenal cast consisting of Alan Alda, Ian McKellen, Anjelica Huston, Patrick Bauchau, Glenn Headley, Richard Gere, Phil Collins, Lily Tomlin, Richard Masur, Nathalie Baye, Richard Jenkins, Saul Rubinek, Tchéky Karyo, Jeffrey Nordling, Charles Martin Smith, Donal Logue, B.D. Wong, David Dukes, David Marshall Grant, Ken Jenkins, David Clennon, Swoosie Kurtz, Christian Clemson, Rosemary Murphy, Dakin Matthews, Peter McRobbie, and Steve Martin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 24, 2024 8:21 PM

The final montage always makes me cry.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2022 2:58 AM

Someday they'll make the companion piece film about Monkeypox and call it And The Organ Grinder Played On.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2022 3:01 AM

And the Doctor Danced On

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2022 3:09 AM

Great film!

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2022 3:10 AM

It really needed to be a mini-series. It did a great job with the medical part but the parts with the individual, it fell short. The most affecting parts are those of the men who rented the beach houses and the growing horror as each of them started getting sick.

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2022 3:19 AM

I had the pleasure of doing a film with Modine about 3 or 4 years after And The Band. Only one scene, but we were sitting in a sports car (on the back of a truck) being driven back and forth across a bridge for the better part of a day. He could not have been any sweeter, and was iincredibly touched when I told him --as a gay man-- how much that film had meant to me. Genuinely humble, such a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2022 3:42 AM

R5 I remember the Steve Martin, Swoosie Kurtz, and Richard Gere saga, but nohting else.

Martin's son contracted AIDS, Gere lived a promiscious lifestyle, and Kurtz was an innocent woman who had a bad blood transfusion.

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2022 2:38 PM

Great film, and there is alot of interesting material online from the actual people who the actors in the film portrayed. I particularly like Gere's role and performance here, there isn't alot of it, but it's beautifully haunting (and just beautiful because, hello, Richard Gere). The ending is a classic in tearjerking though in hindsight, there were some people left that had died from the illness that were sadly left out.

I agree it would have been better suited as a miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2022 2:54 PM

R8 Yes. Wasn't Richard Gere based on Michael Bennett?

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2022 2:57 PM

R9, I think so, a famous coreographer.

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2022 3:02 PM

[quote]Kurtz was an [italic]innocent[/italic] woman who had a bad blood transfusion

As opposed to those guilty nasty homosexuals who had sex

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2022 3:05 PM

This thread makes me want to watch that movie again. In fact I think I will.

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2022 3:15 PM

R12 do it!

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2022 5:07 PM

R8, sadly, not enough time to show everyone.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2022 1:13 AM

The gay self loathers with meth induced lack of impulse control are just as oblivious to the pox

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2022 1:35 AM

Can't believe this film and Philadelphia came out the same year.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2022 2:07 AM

Swoozie Kurtz is really moving in her cameo. Her acting in just a brief scene got her a well deserved Emmy nomination

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2022 2:15 AM

R17 Her story stuck with me. What else has she been in? I really only know her from this and Liar Liar, but I know her name. It's weird

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2022 2:38 AM

The early 90s were good to Swoosie Kurtz.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2022 3:05 AM

Ugh Swoozie Kurtz scene didn't fit in well imo.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2022 3:05 AM

R18- The first thing I saw her in was The World According To Garp (1982).

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2022 11:21 AM

[quote]The early 90s were good to Swoosie Kurtz.

Yeah, she was nominated for two Emmy's in '91 -- Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Special for And the Band Played On, and Best Actress in a Drama for Sisters.

She's been nominated for nine Emmys, winning one as Guest Actress for Carol & Company in 1990. Her last nom was in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2022 11:29 AM

[quote]there isn't alot of it

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2022 12:58 PM

Alan Alda was a total ass in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2022 1:21 PM

I liked that they devoted significant time and attention to the Gallo/Montagnier controversy, given that much of the audience wouldn't have understood or cared, and that they came out quite unequivocally pro-the French team. Gallo's portrayal was more than a little hamfisted though : 'Today we mark the first significant victory in the battle against, umm, hell, whatever they are calling it now".

Kudos to them for nailing Reagan too. I liked the McKellen/Modine scene at the end a lot. Great cast for a TV movie, obviously a lot of people were keen to help the project out.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2022 1:34 PM

And frankly, the movie was less unfair on Gaetan Dugas than Randy Shilts was.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2022 1:42 PM

The guy playing Dugas wasn’t hot looking enough.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2022 2:04 PM

Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2022 2:08 PM

Rewatched this during COVID lockdown - loved it. Really well done. The soundtrack always gets me too.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2022 2:17 PM

Skip the movie and read the book instead.

Decades ago someone wrote an article for Rolling Stone magazine that connected the creation of the polio vaccines to AIDS. It was said they were using (please, this was a milliners ago so the details are faded) serem made from chimp blood for the vaccines. Then tried out on the children in African countries. It’s easier to make one person a scapegoat for the pandemic than to admit one used a nation full of innocent kids to test out their vaccines

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2022 2:25 PM

Gaëtan Dugas gets redeemed/re-evaluated in a short story in the new book, BETTER DAVIS AND OTHER STORIES. It’s both sad and funny (he’s portrayed as someone with a strong sense of humor).

[QUOTE] This thread makes me want to watch that movie again. In fact I think I will.

I would as well. Is the movie streaming anywhere or available on YouTube? I guess I can just check for myself.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2022 2:51 PM

It's on HBO r31.

The documentary about Gaetan is really good as well. Someone on DL actually recommended it. I cried at the end - quite touching. Someone had posted it on youtube - you had to watch in 6 increments IIRC, but if you want to rent on itunes - link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2022 3:20 PM

Thanks, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2022 3:23 PM

I’m about to watch it on HBO Max. I have never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2022 3:31 PM

R27- The actor playing Gaetan Dugas Jeffrey Nordling is a good looking guy. The real Gaetan Dugan was not so good looking.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2022 4:21 PM

Jeffrey Nordling was great in Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2022 5:18 PM

Fun fact: my father was a clinician at the time and AIDS became a big part of his career. He attended an early conference at which all the big names were there, including Gallo and Montagnier. Dad loved hearing Gallo speak and thought he was amazing, really charismatic, a great speaker and so on top of his brief (and Gallo praised a question of his which probably helped). Montagnier on the other hand was 'really boring'.

So next day he gets back into work and tells a colleague about what he thought of the conference and how amazing Gallo was, to which his colleague (a little older and wiser, but whom he didn't really get on with) said rather witheringly 'I wouldn't buy a used car from that man'.

So: some people did see through him.....

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2022 5:27 PM

He also had AIDS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2022 5:38 PM

R38, I hope he dies in prison, preferably violence

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2022 4:58 AM

R30 that was debunked years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2022 12:11 PM

[quote] What else has she been in?

“Love, Sidney.” I remember liking it at the time, not sure how well it would hold up today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2022 12:33 PM

This and Lontime Companion were the best AIDS movies.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2022 12:36 PM

Longtime companion isn’t streaming anywhere. That’s too bad.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2022 1:07 PM

R43- Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2022 1:15 PM

R44 thank you!

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2022 3:15 PM

What was the saddest story to you?

Mine was Swoosie Kurtz and Richard Gere's.

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2022 3:26 PM

Steve Martin trying to understand his son being gay and contracted AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2022 3:26 PM

R47 It was his brother, who 'swore to his last breath he wasn't gay'

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2022 3:41 PM

R48 Sorry. I thought it was his son. Regardless, Martin gives a good performance.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2022 3:52 PM

They should remake Longtime Companion. As an indictment of Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2022 8:53 PM

Longtime companion is devastating. It’s interesting how understated and natural the performances are - no hysteria. Just so terribly sad.

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2022 11:54 PM

I love Longtime Companion. I think part of its strength is how close it was made to the decade it covers.

The final scene is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 52August 6, 2022 12:23 AM

Also the scene where Bruce Davison tells his dying partner to let go. Oooof. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 53August 6, 2022 1:41 AM

Bruce Davison won an Oscar for his performance didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 54August 6, 2022 2:37 AM

No, R54. He lost to Joe Pesci for Goodfellas. But Davison was nominated.

by Anonymousreply 55August 6, 2022 4:07 AM

[quote] It really needed to be a mini-series. It did a great job with the medical part but the parts with the individual, it fell short. The most affecting parts are those of the men who rented the beach houses and the growing horror as each of them started getting sick.

IIRC, NBC wanted to do a minseries version before HBO got the rights.

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2022 3:51 AM

I loved the 80s style music and choreography in the Richard Gere scene.

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2022 7:01 AM

There's a picture of a bald Gaetan Dugas somewhere and I could see how people of the 80s thought he was attractive.

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2022 9:30 PM

That. Did. Not. Happen, r37.

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2022 10:17 PM

R59 How can you be so sure?

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2022 10:27 PM

Sad movie

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2022 10:32 PM

Great but super sad movie..

by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2022 10:49 PM

I won't watch this film, or Longtime Companion or The Normal Heart. I've seen parts of all of them and recognize their quality but I *lived* through all that once and I won't turn off the TV again because I'm dissolving into tears.

by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2022 10:54 PM

R1 Meet too. I can never get through it without crying. Elton John's lyrics are so poignant and haunting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2022 11:04 PM

The movie was shit compared to the brilliant brilliant book

by Anonymousreply 65August 7, 2022 11:13 PM

Book was brilliant, but I think the movie was well done. It was important for more people to access the story.

by Anonymousreply 66August 7, 2022 11:53 PM

Is the book worth it? I might give it a listen on Audible.

by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2022 12:00 AM

[R67] yes it is. May take you a long time to listen though it’s quite long.

by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2022 8:53 AM

Nureyev, Perry Ellis, and that soul at 3:45 break my heart.

by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2022 8:41 PM

^sorry, 3:25.^

by Anonymousreply 70August 8, 2022 8:42 PM

I lived in the L.A. area when AIDS was starting to spread among gays in the early 80s, but never saw the TV movie as I was working out of country in the 90s, until today, thanks to reading these posts. My emotions started racing through my body and I was tearing up through a good part of the movie. It brought back so many memories of my 30s, worrying about if I might be next. I could feel Matthew Modine’s anxieties and his feeling of despair when trying to move ahead with a program to save lives. Ian McKellen made me feel his pain as AIDS ate away at his body. The whole cast was rooting for us. I’m still coming down from layering my memories on scene after scene. What was happening in my life 40 years ago revisited me.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2022 12:47 AM

I’m sorry you had to live through that r71. It makes sense you had somewhat of a PTSD response to the movie. Xo

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2022 1:38 AM

R72 a lot of us lived through it. And we watched people we loved waste away and die, and we saw celebrities we admired waste away and die. It was horrible. And the government ignored it.

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2022 2:47 AM

Can’t even imagine R73. I don’t know how you get thru that without developing some sort of PTSD. Your resilience is incredible.

Did early days of covid trigger anything for you?

by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2022 3:01 AM

Nope. Covid was scary in a different way. Quarantining at home, everyone in the same boat was decidedly different. With the AIDS Crisis, we felt isolated. It was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2022 3:57 AM

Could people stop dragging Longtime Fucking Companion into every fucking thread.

You know why it won no Oscars? Because, in spite of how good Bruce Davison is, it’s not a very good movie.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2022 4:43 PM

Did you audition for the film and were rejected, R76? That’s an oddly specific rage towards a simple (wonderful, btw) movie.

by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2022 4:46 PM

Simple we agree on.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2022 8:17 PM

How good is the book?

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2022 8:50 PM

Dr. Francis deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I have such respect for that man.

by Anonymousreply 80August 18, 2022 8:52 PM

Which Broadway director was Richard Gere's character based on? I'm guessing Michael Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2022 9:30 PM

Yes, R81 Michael Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 82August 22, 2022 12:51 AM

R75 I keep seeing Covid epidemic/Aids epidemic comparisons everywhere, usually by people who know nothing of at least one of them. It's very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 83August 22, 2022 1:13 AM

I agree, R83. So many people died during the AIDS Epidemic, and for so long it was a subject of shame and no one mentioned it. People died of "pneumonia." or "Cancer." or "Kidney failure" Rudolf Nureyev, Michael Bennett, Perry Ellis, etc.etc.etc. You'd look at some celebrity who was starting to lose weight and who looked "Tired." and you knew. I remember the day vivdly, when Arthur Ashe had his news conference. That whole period was soul-crushing.

by Anonymousreply 84August 23, 2022 1:40 AM

People don’t die of AIDS-related illnesses any more, either. People are still getting infected but as long as they can afford meds, it’s a different story. A socioeconomic one.

by Anonymousreply 85August 23, 2022 3:30 PM

R71, what an extremely powerful post. Punched me square in the gut.

I, too, was there at the beginning, before we even knew what transmitted it. All we knew was gay men were dying. Was I next (in spite of not being old enough to be sexually active)? Did I have some sort of gay gene that this disease knew about and would get me?

I’m so glad you and me are here.

by Anonymousreply 86August 25, 2022 4:00 PM

For those interested, I cannot more highly recommend this documentary which debunks the idea of patient zero, Gaetan Dugas. I found it to be both fascinating and disturbing and very saddening.

From the Youtube description:

The story of the AIDS epidemic and the man accused of starting it.

When a new, deadly virus spreads across North America at an alarming rate, one man is singled out for bringing the disease to the continent.

Spanning the 1970s until today, the story of Gaetan Dugas –aka ‘Patient Zero’ –serves as the perfect microcosm of the evolution of AIDS in America and the country’s response to it.

In the early 1980s, little was known about this global epidemic, except that it seemed to be most prevalent amongst gay men. America was in the grip of fear and uncertainty and, in the scramble for answers, Dugas would become known and vilified as ‘Patient Zero’.

Exploring timely themes about fear, the demonizing of the unknown, and the danger of false narratives, this FadooProductions and Fine Point Films documentary weaves social history and scientific investigation into a poignant story of an individual who became intrinsically and tragically linked with AIDS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 26, 2022 1:23 AM

Attached is a link to the Audible version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 26, 2022 1:33 AM

[quote]The story of the AIDS epidemic and the man accused of starting it.

This again, R87? Who accused him of starting it? He was the key that proved the virus was spread by having sex. He was central to cases in NY, LA and SF. These are facts. What he is accused of is continuing to have sex with others when he knew he was positive. That's the fact. His family and friends continue to frame him as a victim. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 89August 26, 2022 11:10 PM

R89 - But he didn't [bold]start[/bold] it, which is the point that people here are making.

by Anonymousreply 90August 26, 2022 11:14 PM

Whap people?

by Anonymousreply 91August 26, 2022 11:15 PM

FOr a cluster of cases he was patient zero.

by Anonymousreply 92August 26, 2022 11:38 PM

Patient Zero or Patient "O", it means the epidemiologists were able to tie cases in different cities to him, and those people were tied to other cases in their areas. A lot of people were having a lot of sex, so promiscuity isn't the issue. There were any number of Patient zeroes. Few documented their tricks like he did and he was valuable helping put together the web of cases. That he continued to have unprotected sex with others when he knew he was infected is the issue.

by Anonymousreply 93August 27, 2022 3:35 AM

Dugas was pretty much a Typhoid Mary type.

by Anonymousreply 94August 27, 2022 3:51 AM

r89 Please see my usage of the word "debunks", thanks.

by Anonymousreply 95August 27, 2022 12:57 PM

The predicate for the claim is that Patient Zero is the "one who started it." Patient Zero or "O" in any epidemiology study is one who connects disparate cases. Dugas is still Patient Zero fpr the early clusters identified, just not in the way it was misrepresented.

by Anonymousreply 96August 27, 2022 5:51 PM

R18 you know her from Sisters, she played Alex, the oldest, a wealthy, slightly snobish, WASP wife of a plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 97August 27, 2022 8:38 PM

I love Swoozie Kurtz, but I didn't care for her in the small blood transfusion patient subplot in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 98August 28, 2022 12:46 AM

I'm glad they had that plot point. I didn't care that it was Swoozy. It was an important part of the story.

by Anonymousreply 99August 28, 2022 2:48 AM

Oh great, someone mentioned the mediocre Longtime Companion again 🙄

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2022 11:04 AM

An Early Frost is also a terrific TV film from the early days of the plague. Great writing and acting all around. Quite touching and poignant.

by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2022 11:14 AM

If you haven't read "Borrowed time an AIDS memoir, it's worth checking out.

People really believed a cure was right around the corner and that hope kept them alive so much longer than if they had known the truth. There's a lot of interesting stories in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2022 11:19 AM

It’s like r11 and all the upvoters complaining about the description of Swoozie Kurtz role as an “innocent woman” didn’t watch the movie. The CDC were searching for an AIDS victim like her, because she was a rich, demure, middle-aged, lily-white wife, someone marketable as an “innocent woman”, “as opposed to those guilty nasty homosexuals who had sex” because she and the babies and the haemophiliacs proved that a virus transmitted through body fluids doesn’t discriminate, while blood banks were more than willing to throw gay men under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2022 11:29 AM

[QUOTE] An Early Frost is also a terrific TV film from the early days of the plague. Great writing and acting all around. Quite touching and poignant.

And Sylvia Sydney plays the grandma!

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2022 2:15 PM

Thespian Ian Charleson was the first major Brit to die of AIDS. He was in elegant films like Chariots of Fire, Hamlet Prince of Denmark, and Gandhi.

He requested his lawyers to expose the real reason he died.

It was a huge "scandal."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 25, 2023 12:26 AM

Frank Rich took a different view in the TIMES that year:

“The Band Preened On” (26 September 1993)

If you were lucky enough to escape the hype surrounding this month’s premiere of And the Band Played On, you may not be aware that Richard Gere has been anointed a saint. So have Gere’s costars in this television docudrama, among them Matthew Modine, Steve Martin, Ian McKellen and Lily Tomlin, and so has its maker, HBO. “The politically correct entertainment event of the season” was how Entertainment Weekly described HBO’s celebrity screening in East Hampton. The press (not all of it employed by organs of HBO’s corporate parent, TimeWarner), has canonized the selfless Band players for gutsily bucking Hollywood taboos and making an angry, controversial, political movie about AIDS in which not all of the characters are heterosexual.

It would be gratifying to join the applause of Joan Rivers, Regis Philbin and John Cochran of NBC News — to name a few who endorsed Band in HBO promos. It would be cheering to believe that some brave Hollywood souls have defied the town’s shameful record of silence and denial in shunning the AIDS epidemic onscreen. (Jonathan Demme’s Philadelphia, due in December, is expected to be the first A-list feature film to break the ban.) And it would be exciting if a television movie about AIDS had the same galvanizing effect that And the Band Played On had as a book in 1987. Written by Randy Shilts, the San Francisco Chronicle reporter who heroically pursued the AIDS story before most journalists would touch it, Band played a major role in waking up a nation to the depth of an epidemic and to the ignorance, bigotry and establishment fecklessness that allowed it to course through the world’s veins unchecked.

by Anonymousreply 106July 25, 2023 12:59 AM

But that was 1987. HBO’s Band, which looks at the disease from a prophylactic historical distance and loots its source primarily for its epidemiological intrigue, does not plug into the pressing, ever-evolving medical and political AIDS dramas of today. But it is a particularly egregious landmark in the history of bloated media sanctimony. Only by the standards of Hollywood, where donning a bejeweled red ribbon at an awards ceremony counts as a courageous stand, could showing one’s face in a movie as bland, dated and toothless as this one be considered a badge of honor. Only by the standards of, say, NBC Dateline, could Band be considered a victory for social conscience on the tube.

HBO deserves praise, we’re told, because it made the movie after NBC begged off. But HBO would not make Band without stars, which is where Gere’s sainthood comes in. He was the first to sign on. Does that excuse his scant artistic contribution? Gere walks through 2 brief sequences in which he plays a Broadway director-choreographer modeled on Michael Bennett, though a Bennett stripped of all personality and, judging from the idiotic dance rehearsal Gere supervises, all talent. The only time Bennett, who died of AIDS in 1987, has been treated worse by Hollywood was in the film travesty of his masterpiece, A Chorus Line, whose screenwriter happened to be Arnold Schulman, who also wrote the screenplay of And the Band Played On.

After Gere lent his prestige to Band — for lower than his usual fee, of course — everyone wanted to get into the act. As long as acting was not required. Except for Alan Alda, who plays the credit-hogging retrovirologist Robert Gallo, the only major character who is not pious, the movie’s stars behave as if it was enough to show up on the set, reap publicity for their lofty intentions and give performances commensurate with their reduced compensation and generosity of service to a good cause. A particularly outrageous example is the great British actor Ian McKellen, who, in the role of a gay San Francisco politico, Bill Kraus, can’t be bothered to attempt an American accent (Kraus was from Ohio) and contributes a death scene of such narcissistic bathos that Greer Garson might have found it a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 107July 25, 2023 1:00 AM

As for the political anger and controversy generated by And the Band Played On, let it be said that the film is fearless in its attacks on the appalling governmental AIDS policies under Ronald Reagan, who has only been out of office for 4½ years. (More recent government AIDS policies, or lack of same, go unmentioned in the printed legends that purport to bring history up to date during the final credits.) Nor does And the Band Played On achieve the goal of introducing a mass television audience to credible gay characters drawn from real life. The only male couple dramatized, Bill Kraus and his domestically-minded young Asian lover, have the relationship of an English don and a houseboy, if not a house plant. Gay men are robbed of their political courage as well as of their sexuality, since the film’s most fiery calls to arms are made by a heterosexual hero, Donald Francis of the Centers for Disease Control (Modine), rather than by the book’s outspoken gay voices (like Kraus, Larry Kramer and Shilts himself).

Shilts is not blameless in the taming of Band. As has been widely reported, he asked that the film’s early cut be shed of some passages featuring supposedly negative stereotypes of homosexuals (whether in drag or at a porno shop). Yet the journalistic power of his book came in part from its objectivity: as much as Shilts indicted the heterosexual establishment for ignoring or bungling the AIDS peril, he also attacked those gay leaders who put “political dogma ahead of the preservation of human life” by fighting against the closure of bathhouses. By muting this history and barely conceding that homosexuals can be as heterogeneous and fallible as any other group, the movie ends up with a gallery of forgettable gay boy scouts.

For those who did not switch channels, And the Band Played On concluded powerfully — with a touching video quilt depicting real AIDS casualties unfiltered through sterile dialogue and self-aggrandizing star turns. But the movie that preceded this tacked-on coda actually had less political guts than the summer’s unpretentious popcorn movies. After all, In the Line of Fire took on the 1993 political establishment by equating fat-cat PAC contributors with Presidential assassins; The Fugitive branded pharmaceutical companies as greedy and murderously criminal on the eve of national debate over the Clinton health-care plan.

“We like to do movies that are about something,” 1 of the high-minded producers of And the Band Played On said in a typical interview. This particular movie is about self-promotion, and about 5 years too late.

by Anonymousreply 108July 25, 2023 1:00 AM

Wow

by Anonymousreply 109July 25, 2023 1:23 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 110July 28, 2023 2:33 AM

It’s a shame about the Patient Zero confusion distracting from what the book and the film did so well.

by Anonymousreply 111April 24, 2024 6:42 PM

Longtime Companion- the previous link at R44 is no good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 24, 2024 7:08 PM

Frank Rich has always been a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 113April 24, 2024 8:01 PM

R111

Every infectious disease cluster like syphilis or HIV you have a Pt Zero no matter what you call them. You plot this out and it always starts with one person.

The problem with this particular pt zero is that he was painted as The One instead of One Of. Being a Pt Zero has nothing to do with morals good or bad,

What the movie did not show was how many people at cdc Atlanta and cdc located in the states were involved long before the public had any idea something was going on. And they did it with no funding. Just took from other programs and got to work.

Those who imply the US govt especially cdc did nothing can go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 114April 24, 2024 8:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!