Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My favourite cut flowers for the house are gladiolas

This week I have a huge vases full of yellow gladiolas in my livingroom. I'll buy a different color each week through August. I'll be entirely sick of gladiolas by the labor day weekend. I do this every year; for me August is gladiola month and signals the slow wind-down of summer proper.

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2022 5:18 PM

I love them too. Remember when they were decor in elegant movies from the 30s - 50s?

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2022 6:56 PM

Here are my fave:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2022 7:03 PM

OP: You must be a Greer Garson fan. Gladiolas, white ones, were her character's favorite flower in the film "Blossoms in the Dust"(one of my all-time guilty pleasure movies)

I'm a glads fan too, especially the deep red and purple ones.

A lovely flower despite the gruesome history of their name. It's the shape of the leaves that called to mind a gladius, the Roman word for a sword(it's the reason gladiators have their name)

Strange you should post about them today, gladioli are the flower for August.

Easy to grow, hardy and always produce a corm(similar to a bulb) to provide flowers for the next year.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2022 7:11 PM

R2, so which? The callas or the orchids?

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2022 7:11 PM

Calla lilies make me think of my mother's funeral; I had white callas exclusively at the funeral home, the church service, and the cemetery. One of her faves. They were beautiful though, a florist friend of mine had them flown in because there were none in the city at the time. He said it was fairly standard practice thankfully,

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2022 9:47 PM

I don't think I've seen a yellow gladiolus in a yard or anything. I like the coral colored ones. The yellow ones are pretty though, I Googled.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2022 9:49 PM

Or hiss, R4.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2022 10:03 PM

Or hiss! LMAO. My autocorrect speaks DataLounge!

Orchids.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2022 10:04 PM

I better not smell or see one Freesia.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2022 10:05 PM

No. Gladioli are funeral flowers. All my life that's what they were.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2022 10:06 PM

I like gladiolas too, but mine don't last very long in the house. Zinnias last longer for me and I like the assortment of colors.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2022 10:08 PM

I j'adore tulips.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2022 10:11 PM

My grandmother was florist and glads, along with lilies, were always funeral flowers.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2022 10:13 PM

OP = Dame Edna

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2022 10:15 PM

I love gladiolas and used to grow them.wvery year. I only have container garden now so this year I am growing sweet peas. Also an August bloomer.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2022 10:16 PM

Tulips are my current favorites, sadly they don't last long.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2022 10:18 PM

I only bring in flowers that I grow in my yard.

Depending on the time of year I have my choice of roses, gardenias, sasanquas, daffodils, jonquils, camellias, irises, oleanders, hydrangeas, and azaleas.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2022 10:23 PM

[quote] I j'adore tulips.

J'adore means I adore.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2022 10:29 PM

I j'adore jadore!

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2022 10:31 PM

[quote]J'adore means I adore.

Do you know what fuck you means?

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2022 11:33 PM

grosse pétasse!

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2022 12:32 AM

I j'adore stuttering!

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2022 1:41 AM

I t'aime you.

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2022 2:40 AM

Gladiolas are used extensively in my town’s garden club beautification projects as well as the corner Mobil station’s landscape.

I have two massive surprise sunflowers growing just outside my front door. They bloomed last week.

by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2022 3:10 AM

There is a dandelion in my alley that is over 6 ft tall.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2022 3:35 AM

My mum grew up in India. We always had fresh gladiolas in the house, she said they are the flower thrown on the funeral pyres. I found that strange.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2022 3:42 AM

I used to love peonies but Mama said no because they have these tiny bugs crawling all over them.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2022 1:10 PM

r27 Ants do love those peonies.

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2022 2:48 PM

Nothing beats a simple bunch of summer Zinnias

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2022 3:12 PM

It’s gladiolus (single) or gladioli (plural).

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2022 3:14 PM

r30 Correct.

r29 I like zinnias and always grow them. Hate that they get powdery mildew which shortens their life. There are a few varieties that are resistant to PM and worth seeking out.

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2022 3:21 PM

I enjoy deadheading.

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2022 3:24 PM

I grow peonies but not for cutting. You could cut them and immerse the entire cutting in a deep bucket of water to kill the ants. I would rather leave the peonies growing in the garden during their short season and letting the ants be part of the natural ecosystem.

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2022 5:07 PM

Not familiar with this plant. But I remember the scene in Marnie. Marnie is triggered by the red gladiolas and insists on switching them out with white chrysanthemums.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2022 5:12 PM

“The calla lilies are in bloom again. Such a strange flower—suitable to any occasion. I carried them on my wedding day, and now I place them here in memory of something that has died.”

― Katherine Hepburn - Stage Door (1937)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2022 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!