Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What diva from yesteryear needs a biopic?

I want to see Ethel memorialized on the silver screen.

by Anonymousreply 236August 11, 2022 9:38 PM

Was Barbara Payton a diva? From Hollywood bombshell to bloated, alcoholic street hooker in under two decades. She was Lindsay Lohan before Lindsay.

[quote]When Barbara Payton died in 1967, aged just 39, her body was in such a terrible state it took the police two days to make an accurate identification. She weighed over 200 lbs, had a red, blotchy complexion, and most of her teeth had been punched out. She was a street prostitute and an alcoholic. Twenty years previously she had started out as a glamorous starlet in Hollywood. She had co-starred in movies with stars like James Cagney, Gary Cooper and Gregory Peck, but she let it all slip through her fingers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2022 11:46 PM

Anita O'Day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2022 11:50 PM

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2022 11:57 PM

Little Richard.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2022 12:00 AM

Mistinoquette and her arch-rival Josephine Baker. It is said they would spit at each other during sidewalk encounters (among other ladylike manner of behavior).

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2022 12:01 AM

The "Well, I never in all my life!" diva.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2022 12:06 AM

R5, do you mean Mistinguett?

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2022 12:07 AM

Well, Mistinguett was paid to be a coquette.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2022 12:12 AM

I'm not quite sure they were divas, but I'd love to see biopics of Vivien Leigh, Ava Gardner, or Rita Hayworth. They led rich, complicated lives and were beset with many personal problems. Their stories would make great critiques of beauty, talent, fame, illness, and the pressures on women in Hollywood in the mid-twentieth century.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2022 12:13 AM

Lynda as Rita

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2022 12:16 AM

R2, I’d love to see Lady Gaga play her in a biopic. Gaga looks like her.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2022 12:20 AM

Only one performer could do justice to Ethel Merman: Mario Cantone!

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2022 12:22 AM

Judy Holliday (laughter and tragedy)

Sarah Vaughan (surprisingly hard partier!)

Juliette Gréco (WWII intrigue, left bank lovers, doomed affair with Miles Davis, 9+ decades to cover wrapping up in 2020)

Eartha Kitt (hardscrabble childhood, ultra glamour adulthood, feud w/Lady Bird Johnson, Catwoman, cabaret)

Yma Sumac (outlandishness from start to finish plus alternate reality storyline possibilities with Amy Camus myth)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2022 12:24 AM

Florence Lawrence, if only for the final scene where she eats ant paste and dies.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2022 12:25 AM

@r9 there need to be an HBO miniseries on MGM and their stars.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2022 12:30 AM

Liza played by Gaga

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2022 12:31 AM

Gertrude Lawrence and how her last husband was controlling and how she pleaded with Rodgers and Hammerstein to write a musical for someone with almost no singing ability.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2022 12:32 AM

Maria Callas

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2022 12:33 AM

Dinah Washington.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2022 12:34 AM

Veronica Lake

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2022 12:35 AM

Donna Summer

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2022 12:35 AM

Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2022 12:36 AM

I'd love to see a good biopic of Vivien Leigh, a genuine diva. So much talent and so much craziness. Plus she was hilariously funny-bitchy in her personal life.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote] Donna Summer

Didn't they already make one, called "Adam and Steve"?

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2022 12:37 AM

Patty Duke

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2022 12:38 AM

Laura Branigan

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2022 12:39 AM

Jeanne Eagels.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2022 12:42 AM

Phyllis Hyman

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2022 1:02 AM

Theda Bara. Obviously it would be called "Vamp." This one could be interesting on film because of the incredible way the studio built up such a false exotic image of her.

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2022 1:07 AM

Maria Ouspenskaya

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2022 1:08 AM

Pola Negri

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2022 1:12 AM

Clara Bow

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2022 1:13 AM

"So Excited: The Elizabeth Berkeley Story"

Starring Dakota Johnson as Elizabeth Berkeley

Diego Tinoco as Mario Lopez

KJ Apa as Mark-Paul Gosselaer

Keke Palmer as Lark Voorhees

Finn Wolfhard as Dustin Diamond

Guest starring Paz de La Huerta as Gina Gershon

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2022 1:15 AM

Not a diva but I've always been fascinated by Ida Lupino.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2022 1:16 AM

Louise Brooks

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2022 1:16 AM

R4, Ho please.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2022 1:18 AM

Beanie Feldstein

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2022 1:23 AM

Helen Lawson, of course!

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2022 1:23 AM

Biopics don't really ever work, especially of female stars.

Even 'Love me or leave me' (Ruth Etting) was only a minor hit movie because of Doris Day and James Cagney.

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2022 1:25 AM

[quote]Biopics don't really ever work, especially of female stars.

What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2022 1:33 AM

'My week with Marilyn' worked better than most because it was about one movie shoot, not her whole life.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2022 1:33 AM

Nina Simone. A good one, not a shitty one with Zoe Saldana.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2022 1:34 AM

R40 More people remember 'Mommie Dearest' than 'A coalminers Daughter'

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2022 1:37 AM

Zsa Zsa Gabor. And her sisters to some extent, of course, but it would be tough to cram all those marriages into one film.

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2022 1:42 AM

R39, they’re always a little weird, but they can be tremendously affecting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2022 1:49 AM

Susan Cabot

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2022 1:52 AM

[quote]Biopics don't really ever work, especially of female stars.

I beg your pardon. ~ Miss Diana Ross, Oscar nominee for Lady Sings The Blues

Come again? ~ Jessica Lange, Oscar nominee for Sweet Dreams

Huh? ~ Renée Zellweger, Oscar winner for Judy

What's this now? ~ Angela Bassett, Oscar nominee for What's Love Got To Do With It?

Qu'est-ce que tu as dit? ~ Marion Cotillard, Oscar winner for La Vie en Rose

Hello, Gorgeous! ~ Barbra Streisand, Oscar winner for Funny Girl

Seriously, darlin'? ~ Sissy Spacek, Oscar winner for Cole Miner's Daughter

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2022 1:54 AM

Coal, damn it.

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2022 1:57 AM

Luise Rainer won for playing Anna Held.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2022 1:57 AM

Lmao DRAG HIM @R47

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2022 1:57 AM

Kate won for Cate

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2022 1:59 AM

R47 The problem is that you can name the movies that worked. About 1 in 10 are fairly successful and interesting.

'What's love got to do with it' doesn't deserve to be on that list.

One seems to work OK every decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2022 2:00 AM

[quote] [R40] More people remember 'Mommie Dearest' than 'A coalminers Daughter'

Probably because they get the title wrong.

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2022 2:01 AM

Lana Turner

by Anonymousreply 54August 1, 2022 2:02 AM

@r39 I never thought about it that way but agree now that I think about it. Why do you say especially with women? It's like you can never get both the full biography and more intimate zoom in. It's either one or the other but then I always want the other, etc.

The Iron Lady comes to mind. I loved him and feel it was an intimate portrayal as well. Now that I think of it I think it can be done with the right actor - someone who can have audiences feel they know the person even if just for a small amount of time but then I guess that becomes camp and caricature very quick which I guess I see more often than not.

The Iron Lady was pretty camp I thought. Lady Sings the Blues does not.

by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2022 2:06 AM

Jackie Hoffman would be great in The Edith Head Story.

by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2022 2:10 AM

Pamelyn Ferdin

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2022 2:10 AM

Debbie Harry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2022 2:39 AM

I am slapping r57.

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2022 2:49 AM

More biopic performances of female entertainers, performers, writers, or artists that won Academy Award nominations for Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress:

"The Great Ziegfeld (Anna Held [in addition to Florenz Ziegfeld]), 1936

"With a Song in My Heart" (Jane Froman), 1952

"I'll Cry Tomorrow" (Lillian Roth), 1955

"Isadora" (Isadora Duncan), 1968

"Frances" (Frances Farmer), 1982

"Camille Claudel" (Camille Claudel), 1988

"Hilary and Jackie" (Hilary and Jacqueline du Pres), 1998

"Walk the Line" (June Carter Cash), 2005--won Best Actress Oscar

"Julie & Julia" (Julia Child), 2009

"My Week with Marilyn" (Marilyn Monroe), 2011

"Florence Foster Jenkins" (Florence Foster Jenkins), 2016

"Bombshell" (Megyn Melly), 2019

"Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" (Ma Rainey),. 2020

"The United States vs. Billie Holliday" (Billie Holliday), 2021

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2022 2:55 AM

And I left out the AA nominations for famous woman writers:

"The Barretts of Wimpole Street" (Elizabeth Barrett Browning), 1934

"Out of Africa" (Isak Dinesen), 1984

"The Hours" (Virginia Woolf), 2003 (winner)

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2022 2:58 AM

The Hours really sucked, though, trophy or not.

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2022 3:01 AM

Jennifer Lopez

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2022 3:05 AM

The Hours does not meet the definition of a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2022 3:09 AM

It's listed as one in wikipedia, r64. And the incidents it describes from Virginia Woolf's life in the section about her are pretty accurate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2022 3:13 AM

R63 = Mariah Carey.

by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2022 3:14 AM

Steven Spielberg's THE STACEY Q STORY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 1, 2022 3:17 AM

Liz Renay

by Anonymousreply 68August 1, 2022 3:30 AM

Susan Richardson is certainly overdue for the biopic treatment.

by Anonymousreply 69August 1, 2022 3:30 AM

[quote]Liz Renay

That's a good choice. I believe Todd Oldham optioned her autobiography many years ago.

Here's Liz with the daughter whom she coaxed into joining the strip act. The kid later killed herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 1, 2022 3:34 AM

I'd love one of Divine. I guess she defined herself as a drag queen rather than as trans, but I would love to see one about her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 71August 1, 2022 3:38 AM

A Renay classic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2022 3:40 AM

[quote] the incidents it describes from Virginia Woolf's life in the section about her are pretty accurate.

R65 This silly tearjerker woman's movie omitted the most crucial aspect of this genius-writer taking her life.

The German planes were flying over her house in Southern England preparing for invasion. Her husband was a Jew and therefore marked for extermination when the Germans invaded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2022 3:44 AM

[quote] Phyllis Hyman

This would be fantastic, but only if they were able to dig into the complexities of Phyllis and her mental illness. And her bisexuality/lesbianism.

I would love to see the long rumored Dusty Springfield biopic happen, but I fear that (a) it will never happen and (b) if it does, it will be an over-commercialized hagiography (see Rocket Man, Bohemian Rhapsody) and not a nuanced portrait of a complicated person.

by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2022 3:51 AM

It is true that Leonard Woolf (as a well-known Jewish writer and publisher on politics) and Virginia Woolf (as his even more famous wife) on the Nazis' official list of people to be captured and imprisoned quickly if Germany successfully invaded the UK. But although the Woolfs knew they were likely to be targeted, they had no confirmation of this at the time.

Almost all of her biographers (including the author of her standard biography, Hermione Lee) have largely discounted the idea that Virginia Woolf committed suicide because she was afraid of being captured by the Nazis. (The popular idea that accumulated that she did--which was suggested in newspaper editorials at the time--was one of the major reasons her reputation went into severe decline in the UK for fifty years after her death: there was a widespread idea at the time she had killed herself because she "couldn't take it," which went against the stoic ideal of Britons during WWII.) In actuality, as her suicide note to Leonard shows, what she was much more afraid of was the enormous emotional collapse that often happened when she finished writing a novel. After having finished previous novels she had suffered major psychotic breaks (which caused her to hallucinate that the birds were singing to her in Greek and that the King--Edward VII--was hiding outside in the bushes mumbling obscenities to her) and had attempted suicide, and she was starting to have another such episode again in January of 1941 after finishing "Between the Acts" when she decided to dorwn herself in the river Ouse in Sussex.

Virginia Woolf had actually been fine when the Woolfs' home in London's Tavistock Square in Bloomsbury had been bombed the previous year, so, as Hermione Lee and her other biographers have pointed out, it was very unlikely her suicide would have been caused primarily by her fears of a German invasion. it was much more likely to have been caused by the psychic stress that always accompanied finishing a major novel. (She was always terrified of bad reviews and the chance that critics would not understand what she was trying to do with her fiction, which was experimental in nature.)

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2022 4:11 AM

[quote] her suicide would have been caused primarily by her fears of a German invasion.

Sure, R75, I agree with Hermione that it was one of a few factors that led to her decision. I just like to mention it to the fools who watched this annoyingly stupid movie and Edward Albee's unhelpful play and who blindly point to her suicide as the only talking point or gimmick about Virginia Woolf.

Woolf was a genius who achieved a lot in her long, successful life and career.

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2022 4:22 AM

High Points: The Lauren Bacall Story

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2022 4:27 AM

[quote] Eartha Kitt (hardscrabble childhood, ultra glamour adulthood, feud w/Lady Bird Johnson, Catwoman, cabaret)

10 years ago, Zoe Saldana would have been PERFECT as Eartha Kitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2022 4:41 AM

[quote]I'd love one of Divine. I guess she defined herself as a drag queen rather than as trans, but I would love to see one about her anyway.

Not kidding when I say Brendan Fraser could launch himself back into relevance in a Divine biopic.

by Anonymousreply 79August 1, 2022 6:04 AM

I'd love to see a Laura Nyro or Eva Cassidy biopic. I don't think either one was a "diva", but I'd still like to see both of those films.

by Anonymousreply 80August 1, 2022 6:58 AM

I'd like to see a Janis Joplin biopic. She wasn't a diva, but was an immensely talented and powerful woman. There have been many planned/developed, but none of them have come to fruition. I'm not sure who would be ideal to cast (hopefully not Michelle Williams, who was one of the potentials. Nina Arianda was another potential who would be more interesting)

by Anonymousreply 81August 1, 2022 8:04 AM

Mae West

by Anonymousreply 82August 1, 2022 8:04 AM

Jean Harlow

by Anonymousreply 83August 1, 2022 8:50 AM

Jean Harlow has been done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 1, 2022 9:03 AM

I know this is DL so my reply will seem tongue-in-cheek, but Vivian Vance's life would make a great biopic. A crazy, abusive mother, nervous breakdown, bad marriages, a USO tour in north Africa and Italy during WWII, jealousy, resentment ... and then relative happiness with a gay husband and advocacy work for mental illness that she didn't want publicized. Not to mention it could be shot on location in lovely New Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 85August 1, 2022 9:08 AM

[quote]Liza played by Gaga

Courtney Love played by Liza

by Anonymousreply 86August 1, 2022 9:48 AM

None. ENOUGH of this diva shit.

by Anonymousreply 87August 1, 2022 9:50 AM

Mae West was done. A television movie starring Ann Jillian.

A movie about Joan and Olivia would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 88August 1, 2022 10:10 AM

R81, they’ve done a Janis Joplin biopic as well. But for legal reasons, they had to call her Jackie Jormp-Jomp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 1, 2022 1:18 PM

Roz Russell

by Anonymousreply 90August 1, 2022 1:21 PM

I thought The Rose starring Bleat Middle was about Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 91August 1, 2022 1:58 PM

Gypsy Rose Lee -- but an accurate version, which "Gypsy" most certainly is not.

by Anonymousreply 92August 1, 2022 3:47 PM

[quote]but an accurate version

There is literally no such thing as an accurate version when it comes to biopics. .

by Anonymousreply 93August 1, 2022 3:50 PM

@r92 I wish there was more of her talk show on YouTube she seems so exciting.

by Anonymousreply 94August 1, 2022 3:51 PM

Mama Cass Elliot

by Anonymousreply 95August 1, 2022 3:52 PM

Barbra Streisand

by Anonymousreply 96August 1, 2022 3:53 PM

OP while I would like to see a film adaptation, I've always thought it would be most appropriate for Ethel Merman to receive the bio-musical treatment like Fanny Brice in Funny Girl, Gypsy Rose Lee in Gypsy, Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun, etc...

I'm shocked that some composer and a female actress/singer wanting to make a name for herself haven't developed one yet.

by Anonymousreply 97August 1, 2022 4:56 PM

for some reason her era seems a bit past the others you've mentioned. There's a mystique about the vaudeville days. I think a bio-musical would be a tricky medium for Ethel's story. For someone who was always on stage, I think a film could give audiences that more intimate look of Ethel's life.

by Anonymousreply 98August 1, 2022 5:04 PM

Yvonne Eliman?

by Anonymousreply 99August 1, 2022 10:20 PM

Connie Francis

by Anonymousreply 100August 1, 2022 10:41 PM

Tammy Wynette the kidnapping incident

by Anonymousreply 101August 1, 2022 10:53 PM

Lady Gaga could play Courtney Love. She would just have to pretend to be a junkie.

by Anonymousreply 102August 1, 2022 10:55 PM

R98 Maybe if they just focused on a particular episode in her life it would be better, if they want a starring role for two established middle aged stars write a musical that tells the story of Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine's ill-fated almost four month marriage. Plus, DL should like this we can have both Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance as characters, her "hen do" was the three of them getting drunk and giving each other makeovers in Lucy's personal beauty salon. Also, most of the marriage took place aboard ship as they sailed around Asia which would harken back to one of EM's most iconic early roles in "Anything Goes." I'm sure they had some sort of younger assistants or crew members who could give the show some youth appeal and generation gap commentary.

by Anonymousreply 103August 1, 2022 10:58 PM

Hedy Lamarr had a truly fascinating life from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 104August 1, 2022 11:22 PM

Yeah what kind of mess was the Merman-Borgnine union? Was he a bruiser? Tons of alcohol? What was it?

by Anonymousreply 105August 1, 2022 11:24 PM

[quote] fascinating life from start to finish.

No. We have decreed it must just be an episode in the life, NOT the full life.

by Anonymousreply 106August 1, 2022 11:28 PM

Vaughn De Leath

Once a famous voice of radio....

which even back then left many people asking why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 1, 2022 11:36 PM

Umm Kalthoum

by Anonymousreply 108August 2, 2022 12:53 AM

Borgnine . . . Was he a bruiser?

No, he was a masturbator

by Anonymousreply 109August 2, 2022 12:58 AM

I am imagining the songs coalescing around the Ethel Merman/Ernest Borgnine whirlwind romance.

DUTCH OVEN HONEYMOON

by Anonymousreply 110August 2, 2022 1:02 AM

Marie Dressler, considered the best comedienne and actress in Hollywood in the late 20s and early 30s.

But, she was definitely not a diva.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 2, 2022 1:17 AM

What about Spring Byington! I think there should be a musical revue based solely on excellent names rather than divaness. Pola Negri, Theda Bara and Rula Lenska!

by Anonymousreply 112August 2, 2022 2:02 AM

Zarah Leander

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 2, 2022 2:08 AM

Vera Hruba Ralston.

by Anonymousreply 114August 2, 2022 2:20 AM

Dixie Dunbar and Mitzi Mayfair

by Anonymousreply 115August 2, 2022 2:58 AM

ZaSu Pitts

by Anonymousreply 116August 2, 2022 3:47 PM

Simone Simon

by Anonymousreply 117August 2, 2022 3:50 PM

Anna Maria Alberghetti

by Anonymousreply 118August 2, 2022 3:54 PM

I would actually love to see a black comedy about the career of Theda Bara, a.k.a. Theodosia Goodman, who in real life was a nice Jewish girl from Cincinnati, who got fed up with Hollywood and went to live quietly in Nova Scotia after she'd made her pile.

I think that a comedy about ridiculously false public personas might strike a chord with people, in the era of Instagram filters...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 2, 2022 10:35 PM

Sheena Easton

by Anonymousreply 120August 2, 2022 10:38 PM

Bring The Vamp back to Broadway!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 2, 2022 10:59 PM

[quote] Simone Simon

Simone Signoret, for whom fame came too late in her career.

Simone Signoret, cast aside because her face became too fat.

Simone Signoret-- a slightly thicker and French version of Grace Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 122August 2, 2022 11:05 PM

Diana Ross

by Anonymousreply 123August 3, 2022 12:18 AM

Please don't let Aaron Sorkin direct the Vivian Vance biopic.

by Anonymousreply 124August 3, 2022 12:24 AM

Barbara Stanwyck…

by Anonymousreply 125August 3, 2022 12:28 AM

Who is that divine young man in R121? I'd bring comfort to his ass after she finishes stepping on it...

by Anonymousreply 126August 3, 2022 12:30 AM

Steve Reeves, r126.

by Anonymousreply 127August 3, 2022 12:47 AM

Merle Oberon - a better one than that boring QUEENIE miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 128August 4, 2022 5:01 PM

With so many of these people listed above, I wonder just who posters think are going to watch these biopics.

"Hey, weren't you kids going out with your friends to party tonight? It's Saturday night!"

"We were going to, Mom, but we'd much rather stay home and watch the Marie Dressler biopic miniseries on Netflix! Tonight's episode covers the Oscar win for 'Min and Bill'!"

by Anonymousreply 129August 4, 2022 5:11 PM

Debbie Reynolds

From Burbank to Vegas, Hollywood Golden Age Diva to Casino owner. The persona triumphs and scandals.The movies!

So much material that a writer would have to gloss over.

by Anonymousreply 130August 4, 2022 5:22 PM

Shirley MacLaine - covering all of her lives, not just the present one

by Anonymousreply 131August 4, 2022 7:54 PM

R129, DATALOUNGE would watch!

by Anonymousreply 132August 4, 2022 10:11 PM

I ain't no yesteryear, YET, hussies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 4, 2022 11:27 PM

Sinead O'Connor. That woman's career needs a reevaluation after how badly she was punished for ripping the Pope's picture. She was just too ahead of her time.

by Anonymousreply 134August 4, 2022 11:29 PM

R134, the fact that O'Connor was right about the pope doesn't make the overall story of her life anything but depressing. She has raging bipolar disorder and reportedly refuses to take mood-stabilizing meds, so she's spent most of her adult life being batshit crazy in public. And that's how the story is going to end, with the crazy winning.

Fun movie, huh?

by Anonymousreply 135August 5, 2022 12:45 AM

Frances Faye, lesbian pioneer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 5, 2022 12:58 AM

Grace Jones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 5, 2022 1:02 AM

R135, that would make the perfect biopic!

by Anonymousreply 138August 5, 2022 1:05 AM

R137 - who would play Dolph?

by Anonymousreply 139August 5, 2022 2:09 AM

[Quote]Zsa Zsa Gabor. And her sisters

Great idea. With focus on the relations between them. Zsa Zsa and Eva often referred to each other as that "bitch" in different TV interviews. "Oh, that bitch Eva" Zsa Zsa would say, but I do think she meant it affectionately.

An old guy now deceased who used to drive for Mama Jolie said all the Gabors were in a bowling league. I gasped. He said "oh, yes, they all had their own bags, balls and shoes."

by Anonymousreply 140August 5, 2022 4:37 AM

[quote]who would play Dolph?

Never mind that, who the hell would play Grace??

by Anonymousreply 141August 5, 2022 4:41 AM

I’d like to see an Ethel Mertz biopic, too, OP!

by Anonymousreply 142August 5, 2022 4:41 AM

Renee Zellweger stars in the new original Lifetime TV-Movie:

"Playing to the Back Rows: The Grayson Hall Story."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 5, 2022 4:47 AM

R139, Timothee, of course.

by Anonymousreply 144August 5, 2022 10:21 AM

I'd love to see a Gracie Allen biopic. She deserves to be remembered more than many who are.

by Anonymousreply 145August 5, 2022 1:36 PM

DALIDA!

by Anonymousreply 146August 5, 2022 1:43 PM

Joan Crawford needs a full miniseries treatment. Bette Davis, too.

by Anonymousreply 147August 5, 2022 2:02 PM

R141, Lupita

by Anonymousreply 148August 5, 2022 2:05 PM

Dinah Washington.

I forgot how to quote. Oh well.

QUOTE...

Not even Aretha Franklin, a true disciple, could replicate Washington's carnal delight when singing about men. For Franklin, the preacher's daughter, desire was a beguiling but potentially soul-crushing thing. And yet for Washington, the losses sounded more like split decisions. She had her share — seven to nine marriages meant at least six to eight divorces. But she was an aggressive fighter. After all, Washington chastised her duet partner Brook Benton — on record — when he made a mistake during the 1960 R&B smash Baby, You've Got What it Takes. She also reportedly beat up hecklers after her concerts.

...UNQUOTE

She is a diva who sang behind the beat oftentimes just to screw with the musicians and keep them on their toes. Stayed married, divorced, legally separated- all while committing adultery hither thither and yon. The trajectory of her sex life alone is worth a film for goodness sakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 5, 2022 2:23 PM

Wasn’t DW a drunk to boot? Alcoholism adds the touch of pathos every biopic demands.

by Anonymousreply 150August 5, 2022 2:30 PM

LOVE Dinah!! Died at 39. Her death was big news in Detroit, where I lived as a teen, because her then-husband Night Train Lane played for the Lions. She was a helluva singer. Can't think of a current one who could match her.

by Anonymousreply 151August 5, 2022 2:54 PM

While we're at it, why not the legendary Sarah Vaughan? Sassy kept her private life private, but she had her share of man troubles, such as an abusive 2nd husband who gambled away her savings, and an abusive and controlling 3rd husband. She was also into her cigarettes and cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 152August 5, 2022 2:57 PM

I heard that Sassy Vaughan was bi. That she and Carmen (definitely leaning toward lesbianism) partook of the tasty delights of Della Reese.

by Anonymousreply 153August 5, 2022 3:02 PM

I second Grace Jones and would also like to see Siouxsie Sioux.

by Anonymousreply 154August 5, 2022 3:16 PM

[quote]'My week with Marilyn' worked better than most because it was about one movie shoot, not her whole life.

As long as you forget that Michelle Williams was completely miscast as Marilyn Monroe.

The Catherine Hicks movie is still hands down the best portrayal of Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 155August 5, 2022 3:21 PM

I read that ages ago Stephanie Mills was in talks to portray Dinah Washington. Similar voices.

by Anonymousreply 156August 5, 2022 4:33 PM

I love Debbie Harry, love her music, basically, I worship her.

But in interviews, she comes across as slightly boring. Her autobiography was a snooze. Can't see a biopic of her generating much interest. There's also no one who could play her.

by Anonymousreply 157August 5, 2022 5:39 PM

Lynda Day George

by Anonymousreply 158August 5, 2022 5:49 PM

[Quote]DALIDA

It already exists and it's fabulous. Available to stream on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 5, 2022 6:02 PM

Kate Bush. All I ask is no actrresses with septum piercings/covered in tats.

by Anonymousreply 160August 5, 2022 10:43 PM

@r157 what do you like about her other than her aesthetic?

by Anonymousreply 161August 7, 2022 5:48 AM

Eve Plumb

by Anonymousreply 162August 7, 2022 6:12 AM

.Arde Madrid is a very good Spanish series (8 episodes) of Ava Gardner's time in Spain that focuses on the lives of her live-in help and their interactions with her. Very good Funny as well

Exiled Juan Peron lived under Ava in her building and Ava drove him crazy. You can watch at this link if you know Spanish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 7, 2022 6:25 AM

Rex Harrison. Married six times including the tragedy of Kay Kendall…and Lilli Palmer agreeing to divorce him so he could marry Kay to make Kay happy while Kay was dying…although no one bothered to tell Kay she was dying.

Then after Kay died he went to remarry Lilli…but she had married Argentine hunk Carlos Thompson in the interim. Then there’s the Carole Landis affair. She was a suicide because of him. Same with Rachel Roberts.

Rex makes most other male stars seem dull by comparison. I don’t know what he had, but he evidently had a lot of it.

Acted against most of them including Vivian Leigh, Elizabeth Taylor, and Audrey Hepburn. He always had diva tendencies, but after two Tonys and an Oscar and My Fair Lady stage and screen he became impossible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 7, 2022 6:38 AM

Trailer for the new María Félix biography mini-series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 7, 2022 11:48 AM

Shari Lewis

by Anonymousreply 166August 7, 2022 4:51 PM

That Maria Felix miniseries looks very promising. I wonder when it will stream on more platforms.

We had a great thread on MF a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 7, 2022 5:44 PM

[quote] I want to see Ethel memorialized on the silver screen.

Ethel Merman?

Ethel Waters?

Ethel Barrymore?

Ethel Hotchkiss!

by Anonymousreply 168August 7, 2022 6:12 PM

Barbara Walters

by Anonymousreply 169August 7, 2022 6:14 PM

R163 here FYI I should say that one doesn't have to create an account at that link to watch the series. Just enlarge the screen and go. I've been watching films at the site for years without any problems

BTW there's full male frontal nudity in the Ava series.. Big Spanish pingas.

I hope the Maria Felix bio series doesn't tamp down her outrageousness.

Here's a very good documentary. Personal and DIVAESQUE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 7, 2022 6:45 PM

r168 Ethel Toffelmier, the pianola player

by Anonymousreply 171August 7, 2022 8:11 PM

R17 There's already been a big budget flop musical about Gertrude Lawrence and if Julie Andrews couldn't make Gertie even remotely likeable then no one can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 7, 2022 9:22 PM

Celia Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 173August 7, 2022 11:16 PM

R173 - There’s a HUGE series on Celia Cruz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 7, 2022 11:25 PM

Not a diva per se, but I'd love to see a documentary or biopic about Helen Wood, the Broadway actress and Hollywood starlet who ended up co-starring in [italic]Deep Throat.[/italic] and then working as a waitress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 7, 2022 11:35 PM

R105 It was a union of two dominating hard-hatted people. Doomed from the start. Indeed, at the time they wed the popular opinion was, "It'll never last."

by Anonymousreply 176August 7, 2022 11:40 PM

Anne He he.

by Anonymousreply 177August 7, 2022 11:48 PM

I think it would be interesting if they focused on somebody that might be largely forgotten today, but who was very successful. If you want to tell a feel good feminist type story, you couldn't go wrong with an Irna Phillips, Gertrude Berg, or Minnie Pearl biopic, each found success in very male dominated fields and never let their sex hold them back.

Or, the younger crowd still remembers George Burns because he stayed active in entertainment almost until his death, so how about a Gracie Allen biopic. There would never have been a George Burns without Gracie Allen.

I can't believe there hasn't been a Hattie McDaniel one, which is a fucking disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 178August 7, 2022 11:57 PM

[quote]I can't believe there hasn't been a Hattie McDaniel one, which is a fucking disgrace

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 179August 8, 2022 12:50 AM

She's not a diva but I would like a biopic on folk singer Judee Sill. She was a prostitute who robbed convenience stores before she got her big break. Her music didn't sell well, so she called David Geffen gay on stage and then he ended her career, so she wound up dying in obscurity due to a heroin overdose.

by Anonymousreply 180August 8, 2022 12:52 AM

Dinah's goddaughter, r151...

by Anonymousreply 181August 8, 2022 1:10 AM

^Sorry, r151...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 8, 2022 1:11 AM

Some of these would have audiences in the tens!

by Anonymousreply 183August 8, 2022 1:17 AM

R183 That is one advantage of the age of streaming, there is money to be made in niches.

by Anonymousreply 184August 8, 2022 1:19 AM

Dinah Shore, lesbian icon.

by Anonymousreply 185August 8, 2022 1:26 AM

Jennifer Lopez

I don't think Doris Day or Cher were divas, so not them.

Roseanne Barr? I don't know if she was divaish. She was a queen bee.

Mel Gibson

Oprah Winfrey

by Anonymousreply 186August 8, 2022 1:48 AM

Do we all have to be dead and our bones turned to dust before somebody makes a legit Cary Grant biopic?

Roddy McDowell would be a great biopic with Old Hollywood Divas sashaying in and out of nearly every scene. Access to his memoirs is required for this

by Anonymousreply 187August 8, 2022 1:57 AM

To R41, I agree with you!! "My Week with Marilyn" worked because it was 1 week of her life. Michelle Williams was genius in that role, as well as Eddie Redmayne. My weekend supper cohorts re-watched My Week with Marilyn yesterday. They were like, "how did I never see this movie before".

by Anonymousreply 188August 8, 2022 1:58 AM

Dietrich, of course, bitch. And give me Cate Blanchette to play her!

by Anonymousreply 189August 8, 2022 2:05 AM

How about a Carole Lombard one, it would have a hell of an ending.

by Anonymousreply 190August 8, 2022 2:14 AM

Typically American made biopics are timid unfortunately.

For instance in the spanish made Ava series mentioned above in one scene the maid comes into Ava's bedroom and picks up something on the floor. She grimaces as she realizes it's Ava's diaphragm and jizz is dripping from it. I can't imagine this scene in an American production.

Also there's a scene with a nude guy spread on his stomach on the bed. His fine ass and nutsac are shown quite naturally. And this series was shown on TV.

Americans should have more courage.

by Anonymousreply 191August 8, 2022 2:31 AM

I don't think Cher was a diva either!

by Anonymousreply 192August 8, 2022 2:31 AM

R190, there was that "Gable and Lombard" flop with James Brolin and Jill Clayburgh, which concentrated more on the star-crossed lovers' romance than being an actual biopic on Lombard.

by Anonymousreply 193August 8, 2022 2:37 AM

The acting is so bad, that I can't tell if this was for real or some SNL sketch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 8, 2022 4:15 AM

Alas, Patti Austin is 71, decades older than Dinah was when she died.

by Anonymousreply 195August 8, 2022 12:41 PM

I would like to see a biopic of Doris Day, never read anything on her (I know it would be good)

Carole Lombard (before Gable), marriage to William Powell (they both cheated on each other-best divorce ever), her Lover Russ Colombo (how he died) & Carole's honest blunt answers to reporters. She was asked "Who was the best Lover in Hollywood, she answered "George Brent"; the reporter looked shocked, and Carole responds " Oh you on the movie screen". There is a great biography called Screwball that is brutally honest book on Carole Lombard.

Dietrich would be great biopic...an honest one!!

by Anonymousreply 196August 8, 2022 3:55 PM

Judith Lowry

by Anonymousreply 197August 8, 2022 4:21 PM

[quote]Roddy McDowell would be a great biopic with Old Hollywood Divas sashaying in and out of nearly every scene. Access to his memoirs is required for this

So is spelling his name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 198August 8, 2022 4:38 PM

Paul Lynne

by Anonymousreply 199August 8, 2022 4:55 PM

r199 Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 200August 8, 2022 6:46 PM

Dale Bozzio, played by Lady Gaga

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 8, 2022 7:27 PM

Courtney Love

by Anonymousreply 202August 8, 2022 7:29 PM

To R202...that story is still writing itself!!

That drugged-out murdering Bitch has to DIE!!

Then the biopic.

by Anonymousreply 203August 8, 2022 8:32 PM

Delilah-Judith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 8, 2022 9:15 PM

R180, I’d only heard mention of Jude Sills before. Listening to her now - interesting voice and tumultuous life. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 205August 8, 2022 10:04 PM

Judee, please.

by Anonymousreply 206August 8, 2022 11:17 PM

Some folks are not getting the topic.

by Anonymousreply 207August 9, 2022 1:25 PM

How about Alla Nazimova? Russian Jew who became a theater star in Russia and the US, who took Hollywood by storm, who became a writer and director in a male-dominated business... and who was openly bi, and who made LGBT-themed films in a homophobic and sexist era, the straight male Hollywood suits were horrified by her, and eventually shafted her career.

A gay and/or feminist director could do something amazing with her story!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 9, 2022 10:48 PM

[quote] Alla ... made LGBT-themed films

Of which we know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 209August 10, 2022 12:01 AM

Kay Francis

by Anonymousreply 210August 10, 2022 12:21 AM

Diana Wynyard.

by Anonymousreply 211August 10, 2022 12:23 AM

R210 - you mean Kay Fwancis

by Anonymousreply 212August 10, 2022 12:30 AM

A biopic on Kay, focusing on how Jack Warner & Co. conspired to destroy her career.

by Anonymousreply 213August 10, 2022 12:41 AM

Paul Lynde got canceled before getting canceled was a thing.

by Anonymousreply 214August 10, 2022 12:52 AM

Rex Harrison and Paul Lynde don’t qualify as divas, do they? The definition is getting overly broad here.

by Anonymousreply 215August 10, 2022 2:30 PM

Rex was the perfect diva.

He was playing cads and adulterers right from the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 10, 2022 9:53 PM

I was thinking this morning that Jacques Brel would make for a good biopic. Unsure of his "diva" status, though.

by Anonymousreply 217August 10, 2022 10:05 PM

Billy DeWolfe

by Anonymousreply 218August 10, 2022 10:15 PM

Dietrich for sure, there are so many different eras in her life and she is part of history Joan Crawford just to erase the lies of that bitch Christina

by Anonymousreply 219August 10, 2022 10:32 PM

And Brigitte Bardot, Veronica Lake, Romy Schneider, Diana Dors, Lupe Velez

by Anonymousreply 220August 10, 2022 10:37 PM

IT DEPENDS - The June Allyson Story.

by Anonymousreply 221August 10, 2022 10:37 PM

And who can forget beautiful Francesca Fiorre

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222August 10, 2022 10:41 PM

Ruth Etting

by Anonymousreply 223August 10, 2022 10:41 PM

Gorgeous Tammy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 10, 2022 10:43 PM

[quote]What diva from yesteryear needs a biopic? I want to see Ethel memorialized on the silver screen.

One must assume you mean Merman and not Viv, who has her own name.

A comedic take on the fabulous Merman's life done by someone who can interpret her vocal style without sounding like something from a drag review would be great. The scenes of her yelling a dirty joke across a formal event at Jose Ferrer, screaming at Ernie Borgnine about his love of Dutch ovens, raising her children like a normal mom eager for privacy, being married to the CEO of Continental Airlines (who later married Audrey Meadows), ditching that first husband, ditching ALL her husbands, doing hit after hit after hit (with a dry spell or two), doing Mad, Mad World.

Bring! ETHEL MERMAN! Back to the TOP!

by Anonymousreply 225August 10, 2022 11:13 PM

R225 EVERYTHING IS COMING UP ROOOOOOOOSESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

by Anonymousreply 226August 10, 2022 11:29 PM

Ethel was all hard work and focused on her career. She mentioned that she lived like a nun offstage so she could give 200% onstage. Ethel's marriage to Ernest Borgnine was represented by a blank page in her autobiography but Ethel kept a private diary that didn't pull the punches. The diary ended up in the hands of a friend called Tony Cointreau who shared some of the details including the 38 day marriage to Borgnine which unraveled during the honeymoon in Asia.

"Ever since Kim Kardashian dumped Kris Humphries after 72 days of marriage, Oscar-winning actor Ernest Borgnine has been talking about his own short-lived nuptials to the great Ethel Merman.

Borgnine and Merman were married in 1964 for just 38 days. On “Access Hollywood” last week, Borgnine said the marriage unraveled during their honeymoon in the Far East. Merman, he said, was furious that, while everybody recognized him, nobody knew her. She had her revenge by refusing to give him some of her Kaopectate when he had diarrhea.

Tony Cointreau, one of Merman’s closest pals, caught the interview and rang me up in a cold fury. “He’s at it again!” Cointreau, heir to the French liquor company, said. “He’s been saying this for years, and it’s not true.”

In Merman’s memoir, there’s a chapter titled “My Marriage to Ernest Borgnine.” It’s followed by a blank page.

But she kept a diary, which contains all the gory details. And Cointreau has it. He wouldn’t show me the entry about the marriage. “It’s just very, very yucky,” he says. “It would demean her, as well as him.” But he sketched in what happened from Merman’s point of view.

Their honeymoon, it turned out, was a “freebie.” American Express picked up the tab in exchange for personal appearances Borgnine made on the company’s behalf. Merman was appalled. On the flight to Tokyo, Borgnine told her he was broke and needed money -- her money. “She couldn’t understand why a man couldn’t love her for herself and not for having a large bank account,” Cointreau says."

Better candidates:

The tragic Susan Cabot.

The tragic Barbara LaMarr the "Girl who was too Beautiful".

The tragic Alma Rubens, drug addict.

The scandalous death of Olive Thomas in Paris - the first "dead blonde sex symbol" tragedy in Hollywood.

German diva Sybille Schmitz and her horrible death. Already covered in Fassbinder's "Veronika Voss".

The tragic Lupe Velez.

by Anonymousreply 227August 10, 2022 11:34 PM

Charlene Tilton, there's a story there...

by Anonymousreply 228August 10, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote]What diva from yesteryear needs a biopic? I want to see Ethel memorialized on the silver screen.

Ether Waters? Or Ethel Barrymore?

by Anonymousreply 229August 10, 2022 11:42 PM

Or Ethel Thayer, it thounth like lithping

by Anonymousreply 230August 10, 2022 11:43 PM

Why not just combine several and make the Hollywood Babylon movie I’ve been wanting since I discovered that book in my high school library freshman year.

by Anonymousreply 231August 10, 2022 11:47 PM

Another vote for ME!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 10, 2022 11:50 PM

[quote]Ether Waters? Or Ethel Barrymore?

Ethel Shutta, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 11, 2022 12:17 AM

Sophia Loren has had quite a life.

by Anonymousreply 234August 11, 2022 2:21 AM

And Sophia Loren has already had a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 235August 11, 2022 2:26 AM

The great and powerful Oz has spoken! No biopic for you!

by Anonymousreply 236August 11, 2022 9:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!