Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Privacy fences

The neighbor behind me is going to get a privacy fence put in sometime soon. Have any of you ever gotten a privacy fence or had a neighbor who got one? The current fence is a chain-link fence. They say they are not going to remove the current fence, which will still be visible on my side. So I'm wondering if it is worth my expense to have it removed? I'm thinking it would look nicer to see just their privacy fence there instead of my chain-link fence in front of it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2022 10:47 PM

If it’s your chain link fence then go ahead and remove it.

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2022 7:01 PM

you sound more invested in aesthetics, if that's the only case.. then yes.

Though are people so helpless and lazy now, they don't know how to use wire cutters?

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2022 7:02 PM

I have a privacy fence, but I also have a neighbor around the corner who left her chain-link fence and put in a privacy fence right up against it. It looks bad but it's extremely functional.

If I were you, I would leave up the chain link. As tacky as it might look next to their privacy fence, you own it and control what happens to it. That way, if they get a bug up their ass and take their fence down, or let their fence become raggedy, you'll still have yours.

by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2022 7:02 PM

If you don't want to spend the money, just plant morning glory each spring.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2022 7:04 PM

Either remove it or plant privacy hedges directly in front of it like box hedge to hide it and provide a better aesthetic than a fence.

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2022 7:05 PM

Make sure they install their fence properly. The nice side should face out, toward you.

by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2022 7:07 PM

Box is lovely but it grows so slowly. It would take ten years (or ALOT of money) to cover a 3 - 4' chain link in boxwood. Euonymous can be trained (but takes a lot of trimming) or yew. A cheap annual vine like morning glory would get it done fast.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2022 7:09 PM

Korean lilac is another dense, quick grower. You can't go wrong with hydrangeas either, though they are... old faithfuls. But they do the job.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2022 7:11 PM

Keep ;the chain link fence. Grow some decorative vines on it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2022 7:12 PM

Privet's good too. Another stand by. All of this is contingent on your light, obvs. You don't plant roses in the shade unless you want to grow brown sticks with thorns.

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2022 7:12 PM

There's nothing you can do except planting something to hide the chainlink fence. The fence doesn't belong to you

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2022 7:13 PM

Although it can be invasive... bamboo is pretty standard and you can plant it in a way to reduce it from spreading. . . usually with a mesh guard. You can also buy bamboo that's a few years older, there are several cold hardy varieties if you're in such an area but they might require extra upkeep in the winter and they can be waterhogs during heatwaves, too. Though most of the growers won't ship outside of early spring... but it does remain popular for a hedge fence. Of course, there's also just getting dried bamboo too or metal festivus poles to decorate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2022 8:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote]The fence doesn't belong to you

[quote] I'm thinking it would look nicer to see just their privacy fence there instead of my chain-link fence in front of it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2022 8:09 PM

Fuck bamboo! It has no place outside of Asia. No use to our native birds and other wildlife whatsoever.

If you want to go the plant-screen route, OP, then Google fast-growing vines etc native to your area-- or at the very goddamned least, your own continent.

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2022 8:15 PM

@r14, "They say they are not going to remove the current fence, which will still be visible on my side. "

" I'm thinking it would look nicer to see just their privacy fence there instead of my chain-link fence in front of it. "

Mixed messages

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2022 8:46 PM

Plant jasmine. It grows quickly, is pretty resilient and has a nice scent.

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2022 9:02 PM

Why not weave a colorful and tasteful ribbon tapestry through the chain link?

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2022 9:21 PM

Remove the chain link and paint a lovely gigantic mural on your side of the wooden fence.

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2022 9:24 PM

My neighbors behind me hate me and my dogs. I put up a privacy fence to stop them from calling the cops on me weekly. (The single-spaced typed full-page letters left in my mailbox detailing all my offenses, though, were kind of a treasure.)

I had chain link all the way around, but only the side bordering my cunty neighbors was mine. I stipulated with the fencing company that the chain link should stay because they are lawn perfectionists and I knew it would look like shit and make them crazy. They don’t have the market cornered on cuntiness, after all.

I ended up loving the privacy fence, though. It’s more relaxing to be in the back yard now. Next year, I plan to plant some arbor vitae to line part of the fence and to hang flower baskets off the side.

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2022 9:31 PM

Also, R20, it’s quite easy to remove the chain link. My nice neighbors did it in a couple hours. They just said off the poles, rolled it up, threw it in their truck, and took it to be recycled, or maybe to the dump. You could hire it done and it wouldn’t be that expensive, I imagine.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2022 9:33 PM

Line the back perimeter of your yard with these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2022 9:35 PM

[quote] (The single-spaced typed full-page letters left in my mailbox detailing all my offenses, though, were kind of a treasure.)

Do you live in Brooklyn?

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2022 10:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!