Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anybody remember the old Sitcom "Hazel"?

Shirley Booth as "Hazel" Loved that Show...Anybody seen it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277August 9, 2022 9:47 PM

It was weird they got rid of the nice theme song in the third season.

I always forget Whitney Blake was Meredith Baxter's (supposedly cold and withholding) mother.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2022 5:00 AM

Are you 80 OP?

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2022 5:04 AM

I remember hating her, unfortunately. I was around 5 years old.

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2022 5:12 AM

I sleep with the TV on and it used to be on when I woke up, but before I was really to get out of bed. So I mostly listened to it with my eyes closed. I found the whole show insufferable. Finally had to change to a new overnight TV station so I wouldn't wake up to those horrible people.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2022 5:15 AM

I don't remember much of it, other than Shirley Booth's annoying voice. I think I read somewhere that they made a musical version of Hazel that premiered in Chicago, but not sure if it happened.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2022 5:15 AM

Yes, I remember it vaguely. I think it was reruns though. Not sure. I was born in '64 but I do remember being very young.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2022 5:18 AM

R2 No fuckface, I saw it in a thing called re-runs and all you Bitter Hazel Haters need to stand back and regroup!

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2022 5:39 AM

Shirley Booth was to the 50s what Marie Dressler was to the 30s.

Unappealing and unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2022 5:45 AM

I remember all the new Fords they would showcase every new season

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2022 5:48 AM

I saw this in reruns when I was 5 or 6 and thought that somehow Hazel must be related to Nancy and that to win the best housekeeper award, she must have eaten some of Mrs. Howell's special sugar beets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2022 5:49 AM

Even that bitch Deidre had a fabulous Thunderbird

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2022 5:50 AM

Oh Mista B!!!! Mista B!!!!! …. Bobby Buntrock died as a teenager - I think he was riding his bike. A few years ago I fell down the rabbit hole reading about his death but I can’t remember the details. I remember that there was supposed to be more to the story - something sinister that was going to be revealed. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2022 5:52 AM

^ I don't know, but even as a kid I knew there was something "off" about Harold. I actually thought it was because his parents were so elderly. My grandfather looked younger than George

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2022 5:57 AM

R8 You are one opinionated Asshole fo sho. She was appealing and bearable enough to have her own Sitcom that lasted for 3 Seasons, tell us about YOUR Show Dear. How many Seasons did it run?

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2022 6:04 AM

How dare you, R8!

Both of those were two fine examples of American Womanhood. Both of them were Oscar winners!

Nothing can top that!

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2022 6:29 AM

A few years ago I watched the entire series, from the first episode to the last, on one of the sub stations, (maybe Decades or Antenna)

One and done was enough, no desire to ever watch an episode twice.

But I am glad I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2022 6:39 AM

Long Live Hazel!

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2022 6:41 AM

Yes, I sort of do, but my memory is not that great. I turn a 157 years young next week.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2022 6:48 AM

Loved it. To this day, my brother and I refer to cleaning as Hazeling.

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2022 6:49 AM

R19 Me too!!! It's Hazled, or Hazling or a variety of such that refers to hardcore cleaning

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2022 6:52 AM

R20, Yes! Few people get that reference.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2022 7:10 AM

Unbelievably grating. MR. BBBBBBB....MR. BBBBBBBBBBB

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2022 7:28 AM

🎼"Pack up all my care and woe, here I go, singin' low, bye bye blackbird....."🎶

I'm gettin' all misty.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2022 7:39 AM

I always found this show depressing. And it certainly hasn’t aged well. Hazel was a drudge with no family of her own so she pretended the Baxters were her family. But she wasn’t family to them. They left her behind when they left town and dumped her on some relatives where the husband was even pissier than George. They also dumped Harold!

In real life Shirley Booth dumped all of them.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2022 7:40 AM

^ She had Sam the butcher... Oh, wait 🤔

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2022 9:31 AM

I remember Hazel. I also remember it as depressing, but I loved the character. She had no place in the world. It was kind of dark.

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2022 9:33 AM

Hazel was a nosey old busybody. I’d tell her to mind her own fucking business.

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2022 9:39 AM

"Hazel was a drudge with no family of her own"

She was fine, she had her lifelong "special" friend Rosie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2022 9:44 AM

It’s on AntennaTV. I watch it on Saturdays after Dennis The Menace. Jay North-the second worst kid actor after Larry Mathews.

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2022 9:53 AM

I grew up in the South at a time when many families had black maids.

A white household maid just did not make sense to me. I never knew ANY white family with a white maid.

Therefore I thought the whole show was stupid, never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2022 9:59 AM

I hated the way TV treated people like "Alice" and "Hazel". Like they were of a lower tier then the wealthy white families they worked for. Even as a kid I thought it was degrading

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2022 10:02 AM

Hazel was based on a cartoon character. But the cartoon Hazel was not really funny, or even warm hearted, and was a completely different type. I remember being puzzled when Shirley Booth’s version of Hazel showed up on TV because she was NOT Hazel. I was only a kid but even I knew the difference. But nobody else ever even mentioned it.

Hazel had no life of her own. She had a group of maid friends but even that was weird. Like R30 said, who had live in white maids like that in those days? And here was a whole neighborhood of them! I wasn’t raised in the south but I’d never heard of such a thing. Yes, they were of a lower tier but they wanted it that way.

Mr. French was the same way. But he was a man. Nobody called him by his first name.

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2022 10:16 AM

How very DL! The opening credits had everyone literally smelling cookies!

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2022 10:18 AM

I think I saw reruns when I was about 5. I remember back then thinking that when I grew up I wanted to have a white lower class chatty gossipy maid just like Hazel! Unfortunately, all the ones I can find these days are Hispanic with no sense of humor or knack for neighbors goings on.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2022 10:19 AM

Isn't it funny how back then men had so much leisure time from work that they could come home at 5 on the dot, have time to read the paper, have a couple drinks, smoke and wait for dinner from a wife who didn't work but still needed a full time maid?

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2022 10:25 AM

Men could still be doing that. They are mostly playing a stupid game whereby the amount of time you spend away from your family is supposed to = your value to the economy.

Before Harvard invented the MBA the world of work was a good deal more rational. Remember that many of those men who were home at 5.30 on the dot were also drunk as skunks after lunch every day, so really, not a whole lot of work was getting done in the 50s and 60s except by the secretaries -- a point well made in 9 to 5.

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2022 10:34 AM

Hazel was no lazy ass maid, but she sure kept running off at the mouth. And that voice, honking like an excited goose! Maybe that family didn't give her much respect because there was rarely any peace and quiet in the house.

by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2022 10:51 AM

I watched it in syndication when I was a little kid.

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2022 10:53 AM

I loved watching reruns of Hazel when I was a kid, but now I see what a rude and passive aggressive cunt she could be. She had some nerve telling Mista B that he’s fat all the time, She also creepily wanted to go to a teenage slumber party. Was she Lebanese?

by Anonymousreply 39July 26, 2022 11:02 AM

2 episodes run every day at 11am OP on Antenna TV.

by Anonymousreply 40July 26, 2022 11:06 AM

Hazel always outsmarted Mr. B in the end. She was a clever one.

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2022 11:10 AM

[quote]I think I read somewhere that they made a musical version of Hazel that premiered in Chicago, but not sure if it happened.

It did. One of Helen Lawson's biggest failures. Producers covered up the fact she was caught teaching the child actor who played Harold "Sport" Baxter the facts of life in her dressing room. And I'm not talking about the television show.

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2022 11:11 AM

I was too young to stay up and watch it on primetime.

And when it was in syndication, I thought it was a boring old people show with no cute guys or cartoons.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I swear, when this show was on, we had a doll like this on our tv. set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2022 11:15 AM

IIRC Hazel was a faithful family retainer from Dorothy's childhood? As so, she'd been with her a very long time and I suppose felt more like one of the family and took liberties where other servants wouldn't have. By the time 'Missy' married and Sport came along, Hazel was well-ensconced and felt it was her purview to dispense homey philosophies and good advice, even if no one appreciated it(which they usually eventually did)

I think the fact that Hazel was tight with Mr. B's boss gave her license to continue as she had always done. I loved when she put that crusty/cantankerous gentleman in his place.

Deirdre was Phyllis Stephens on steroids. Hazel was pretty good at sidelining sister dear.

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2022 11:33 AM

I remember Shirley Booth and Burt Lancaster in Come Back Little Sheba.

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2022 11:42 AM

Did Hazel ever marry?

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2022 11:47 AM

Punchy Players version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2022 11:48 AM

R46 She had nieces and nephews and was devoted to her beloved cats. What type of sick innuendo are you trying to infer??

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2022 11:55 AM

"On November 23, 1929, Booth married Ed Gardner, who later gained fame as the creator and host of the radio series Duffy's Tavern. They divorced in 1942. She married William H. Baker Jr., a corporal in the U.S. Army, the following year. Booth and Baker remained married until his death from heart disease in 1951. She never remarried and had no children from either marriage."

by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2022 11:57 AM

Loved the series and Shirley Booth. William Inge is one of my faves too. Ms. Booth had a stunning penthouse apàrtment on 57th St. and was quite a sophisticate, not at all like her onscreen persona. She did Sheba in summer stock theatres in New England as an older actress. when i was on the Cape for vaca as a teen i'd see posters around for the show.

by Anonymousreply 50July 26, 2022 11:59 AM

Shirley Booth brought legal action against Colgate-Palmolive company for their use of "Hazel" in promoting their detergent "Burst"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2022 12:02 PM

LOL, R33, I never noticed that before! Thank you for the laughter!

by Anonymousreply 52July 26, 2022 12:03 PM

The Baxters and the Lawrences (the Gidget Lawrences, not the Kate Lawrences) had the same kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2022 12:04 PM

Hazel if written by Eugene o'Neill

part one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2022 12:05 PM

part two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2022 12:06 PM

Mrs. B, Whitney Blake, was the mother of Meredith Baxter Bireny and co-created One Day at a Time. Maybe we can forgive her for those two things and just remember Hazel?

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2022 12:09 PM

Shirley Booth was primarily a live theatre stage actress. Though she did several films, Ms. Booth ultimately dropped that media in favor of concentrating on stage work.

However like many stage and or screen actors by 1960's Ms. Booth couldn't ignore money being offered by television studios. While she loved the theatre, playing Hazel was her "insurance" Ms. Booth often remarked.

Initially television show "Hazel" did well enough, and lasted four seasons on NBC. It was subsequently dropped and picked up by CBS for one more season before being cancelled totally.

If you look carefully you'll see the Baxter's house is right next door to Darrin and Samantha Stephens (Bewitched).

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2022 12:10 PM

I remember having a temper tantrum with my mother about Hazel. After watching the show a few times, I asked my dad to trade in mom for Hazel, as she was a better housekeeper and cook than Mom. was.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2022 12:20 PM

One remembers Shirly Booth more as an actress than "Hazel".

Ms. Booth as Lola in film Film "Come Back Little Sheba" was a master class in acting.

Scene where after Lola's husband (played by Burt Lancaster) roughs her up she telephones her parents house to ask if she could stay for a bit. Ms. Booth displays in Lola a range of emotions; happiness, hope, despair, then crushing sadness and loneliness. Her father still hasn't forgiven Lola for her past sin (and likely never will), and as such her mother tells Lola she's not welcomed in her father's house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2022 12:22 PM

Shirley Booth had an elegant apt on 57th i heard she was zophisticated not at all like characters she played.

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2022 12:24 PM

I think Hazel was a lezzy.

by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2022 12:24 PM

OF COURSE I remember Hazel. Watched it faithfully. The way she charged into a room.......

by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2022 12:26 PM

Before Barbara Streisand bumped and grinded her way through "Hello Dolly" the musical film there was Shirley Booth doing same role in "The Matchmaker".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 26, 2022 12:31 PM

Shirley Booth sings!

Clip from film "About Mrs. Leslie".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 26, 2022 12:33 PM

That show was ALL WHITE therefore it was RACIST therefore it needs to be CANCELED (if it wasn’t already canceled).

by Anonymousreply 65July 26, 2022 12:33 PM

Shirley Booth guest appearance on the Andy Williams Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 26, 2022 12:37 PM

Shirley Booth was considered for the part as the OLD MAID secretary in Summertime (1955) the role she had played on Broadway 🎭 but the director felt she was too old to play the same part in the movie.

I can’t imagine a good looking Italian man LUSTING over Shirley Booth- I can’t imagine a good looking Italian man lusting over ME.

by Anonymousreply 67July 26, 2022 12:38 PM

I vaguely remember maybe seeing part of an episode or two, enough that I knew what George Costanza was talking about in the scene below, but that's it:

Hey, your mother's uglier than Hazel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2022 12:40 PM

I loved that old lesbian Hazel, and I miss her still.

You know, she was the leader of us, the Sunshine Girls.

We did little bowling, helping each other with chores, and every once and a while we rub each others nubs - it was really a great group of gals!

by Anonymousreply 69July 26, 2022 12:51 PM

All 5 seasons of Hazel are on the Roku channel.

by Anonymousreply 70July 26, 2022 2:46 PM

That last season was so weird where they gave the lead male role to a complete unknown, who basically disappeared after the show got axed. When was the last time you saw a lead in a major network series be billed as "introducing?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 26, 2022 2:56 PM

Hazel wore combat boots!

by Anonymousreply 72July 26, 2022 3:40 PM

Shirley Booth misrepresented her age - as many actors in Hollywood feel pressured to do, and the pressure on a woman in the 1960s would've been even more intense.

Shirley was actually10 years older than her stated age, so instead of being in her early 60s during the run of the show "Hazel", she was in her early 70s.

Hazel was a hit on NBC, but the ratings slipped somewhat over its four season run. By 1964, the show had fallen from the top 10 rated shows, but was still in the top 30. When the show primary sponsor Ford pulled out in 1964, NBC decided to cancel the show.

The show still had good ratings and a strong following, so CBS picked up the show for the 1965-1966 season. The producers and the network took advantage of the opportunity to recast the show, replacing George and Dorothy Baxter with George's brother Steve and sister-in-law Barbara, played by Ray Fulmer and Lynn Borden. Bobby Buntrock stayed on playing Harold, and George and Dorothy's absence was explained by an overseas job.

This must have something of a relief for Shirley Booth - to have the show focus more on the younger actors and allow her to work less. The show never returned to top of the ratings, and the show officially ended in 1966. Some sources say, CBS wanted to renew the show for a 6th season, but Shirley Booth declined.

I can imagine the grind of a weekly series for a woman in her 70s, pretending to be a woman in her 60s. Cast and crew generally loved and spoke highly of Shirley Booth (with the possible exception of Whitney Blake).

Ray Fulmer, who often complained about the poor-quality of the writing, said Booth had a gift for taking a throw-away line and giving it magic with her delivery.

by Anonymousreply 73July 26, 2022 4:27 PM

IIRC, one actor who worked with Shirley Booth in summer stock also spoke of her ability to transform the written dialogue for the audience.

Shirley was in a play, where her character was supposed to ask a younger character about a "Love-In". The line wasn't written for laughs, and was originally something like, "So you went to a love-in'?".

When Booth delivered her lines on stage, she improvised something like, "So was it a nice 'love-in'?" And the audiences roared...Booth was a so gifted.

And if you haven't already, you should watch her in "Come Back, Little Sheba".

by Anonymousreply 74July 26, 2022 4:35 PM

on Dick Cavett...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 26, 2022 4:55 PM

We've had this argument here before, I say Hazel was a bitter cunt. She acted like the house was hers. She fed the neighborhood on Mr B's money. She talks him into buying a TV and she gets a color set then proceeds to invite everyone over to watch Perry Como. She bullies Mr B into buying his wife an expensive negligee (creepy) for Xmas. she puts a homeless guy who broke in into the guest room and the family wakes up to a stranger in the house. She steals her best friend's Italian crush. Episode after episode of her being selfish.

by Anonymousreply 76July 26, 2022 5:02 PM

So she had opinions!

She wasn't nearly as annoying at that sociopathic bitch over at DesiLu who was shoving the bit players, shouting at everyone, and making their lives a living hell...

by Anonymousreply 77July 26, 2022 5:06 PM

The fashion show episode is my favorite...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 26, 2022 5:15 PM

@r77, Show us on the doll where Hazel hurt you 😂

by Anonymousreply 79July 26, 2022 5:16 PM

Although Hazel never married, she was in a long-term relationship with Alice. They would bump pussies in Tiger's dog house after Wednesday bowling league. Sam whacked off while he watched through the dog window.

by Anonymousreply 80July 26, 2022 5:29 PM

Hmmp, that Alice wasn't no cook or housekeeper - hamburgers, frozen pizza, and Swanson frozen dinners is all I ever seen her dish up for those kids.

And I was sorry for them kids, you know being let down like that...

But I had my own family to take care of, you know.

by Anonymousreply 81July 26, 2022 5:35 PM

Booth/Parker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 26, 2022 5:38 PM

R80 Nasty Nasty Nasty Shameful you are.

by Anonymousreply 83July 26, 2022 6:02 PM

R80 You are being a nasty gutterwhore sacrilege for the things you say...for Shame!

by Anonymousreply 84July 26, 2022 6:17 PM

Not really shameful, just...puerile.

by Anonymousreply 85July 26, 2022 6:29 PM

I always thought Mr. B. was hot. That slicked back hair, big chest, broad shoulders....

by Anonymousreply 86July 26, 2022 7:02 PM

It Happened on Fifth Avenue was on yesterday...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 26, 2022 7:21 PM

When Shirley died in 1992 at 94, she was blind and living in a house in North Chatham on The Cape.

by Anonymousreply 88July 26, 2022 7:24 PM

Shirley auditioned for a radio series about a high school teacher, along with a few others. Eve Arden became "Our Miss Brooks."

by Anonymousreply 89July 26, 2022 7:32 PM

I liked Hazel in reruns as a kid, family viewing and she was a hoot, folksy, earthy. Shirley Booth had quite a long interesting life, stage, screen, TV, music, she had a very good elongated run here on earth.

by Anonymousreply 90July 26, 2022 7:33 PM

The only shows I liked with sassy domestic help were Maude, The Jeffersons, Gimme a Break, and The Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 91July 26, 2022 7:38 PM

I really liked It Happened On Fifth Avenue - except for Don Defore. I've always found him to be unappealing and coming across as a blowhard no matter what he plays.

by Anonymousreply 92July 26, 2022 7:44 PM

Yes, r92. Whenever I hear the word "gasbag," I get a mental picture Don DeFore.

I tried to watch Hazel every Thursday night in its original run, though I skipped it a lot one year when I had to alternate with my father, who wanted to watch McHale's Navy. We only had one TV.

During the pandemic, I found myself whistling or humming sixties sitcom themes a lot, particularly The Patty Duke Show and Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 93July 26, 2022 8:29 PM

This thread is a real doozy!

by Anonymousreply 94July 26, 2022 8:34 PM

Well,it was no Nanny and The Professor but I didnt mind her so much.

by Anonymousreply 95July 26, 2022 8:51 PM

Booth owned the show and called all the shots. When it was canceled after season 4 by Screen Gems it was then picked up by CBS. They wanted a show that appealed to a younger audience and that's why they moved Hazel & Harold over to live with Mr. Baxter's younger brother and his young wife and daughter. Ray Fulmer, who played Steve Baxter said that Shirley Booth taught him more about acting in that one year than he had ever learned before or since.

by Anonymousreply 96July 26, 2022 9:00 PM

If she was so great, why didn’t they let her sing the theme song?

by Anonymousreply 97July 26, 2022 9:11 PM

R29 If Jay was that bad as an actor, the show would not have lasted. He was the lead and played off of Joseph Kerns brilliantly. In the last season Jay was too sickly sweet and polite. But in the first three seasons he had a charm that was largely gone by the last season. Of course Gale Gordon was a very poor substitute for the great Joe Kerns.

by Anonymousreply 98July 26, 2022 9:19 PM

My mother hated being on this fucking show. Thank God she later created One Day at a Time!

by Anonymousreply 99July 26, 2022 9:20 PM

Shirley's lawsuit

by Anonymousreply 100July 26, 2022 9:30 PM

Left the link oiut, damn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 26, 2022 9:31 PM

Looks like Shirley won that lawsuit for the unauthorized use of her likeness and her character - I wonder what kind of award she got - the full $4 million?

by Anonymousreply 102July 26, 2022 10:23 PM

Lottie's specialty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 26, 2022 10:34 PM

I watched the he entire series during the pandemic. I found it restful. Hazel’s can-do attitude was very reassuring.

by Anonymousreply 104July 26, 2022 11:01 PM

[quote] Of course Gale Gordon was a very poor substitute for the great Joe Kerns.

Grrrreat Scott! Martha, you would think if he thought me to be so great he would at least spell my last name correctly. Oh, fiddle faddle. Where is my nerve medicine?"

by Anonymousreply 105July 26, 2022 11:17 PM

I have been reading Ron and Clint Howard's joint memoir about their childhood and Ron mentions how sad he felt for Jay North. He said North looked absolutely miserable the way he was being worked.

by Anonymousreply 106July 26, 2022 11:21 PM

^ I read where Jay North was kept in a bubble and wasn't allowed to interact with the other kids

by Anonymousreply 107July 26, 2022 11:25 PM

[quote] tried to watch Hazel every Thursday night in its original run, though I skipped it a lot one year when I had to alternate with my father, who wanted to watch McHale's Navy. We only had one TV.

You were just jealous that Hazel had a color TV and you didn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 26, 2022 11:28 PM

I'm glad to see "Hazel" and Shirley Booth are getting the props from all, well mostly all, of you hateful bitches! "Hazel" for President!

by Anonymousreply 109July 26, 2022 11:46 PM

Well, yes, r108, there's some truth to that. But I must also admit I never minded seeing Virgil (Edson Stroll) on McHale's Navy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 26, 2022 11:51 PM

I have a vague memory of this show....the father was really mad and told Hazel off, saying something like "you're a meddling busybody!", cause her to retreat in tears. Someone in the show later admonished him "You made Hazel cry!" That's all I remember from that show. Oh, and that I couldn't stand the sound of Shirley Booth's voice.

by Anonymousreply 111July 26, 2022 11:56 PM

[quote]the father was really mad and told Hazel off, saying something like "you're a meddling busybody!", cause her to retreat in tears.

That was a great episode, where she got her revenge by trying to smother him with a pillow and then blamed the kid..

by Anonymousreply 112July 27, 2022 12:51 AM

Past and now there are plenty of well meaning but never the less nosy, bossy, meddlesome busybody fraus.

Seen as well intentioned is what saves those women usually from getting what's coming to them, but every now and then someone just isn't having any of it and speaks their mind. Predictable reaction from now offended frau is to blub.

by Anonymousreply 113July 27, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote]Shirley Booth sings! Clip from film "About Mrs."

Shirley Booth's Broadway credits included a few musicals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 27, 2022 1:35 AM

A lot of really mean-spirited characters on that show, all of Mr. B's clients were just plain dickheads. His sister too, Jesus.. What a relentless fucking bitch. Hazel was a real meddling cunt.

When Hazel crashed that high level mob boss meeting, was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 115July 27, 2022 1:40 AM

Literal cookie smelling in that first opening. Hazel would save the day with her macaroons, if not with a chocolate cake or her cookies. She was a wonder. She was much more sarcastic in the cartoons. Booth, herself, thought that she gave the character heart.

Don DeFore read about being fired in the trades, I believe. Booth had an ownership stake in the show but in those days sponsors could overrule the cast or the studio. Later, networks gained control, so it's difficult to know what role she played in the unwatchable final season.

by Anonymousreply 116July 27, 2022 1:42 AM

Love is the reason...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 27, 2022 2:39 AM

That Hazel woman wouldn't have made it past first interview.

by Anonymousreply 118July 27, 2022 2:39 AM

Look to the Lilies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 27, 2022 3:01 AM

Young...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 27, 2022 3:10 AM

R12, Actually, he drowned when the car he was driving went into a pond.

by Anonymousreply 121July 27, 2022 3:15 AM

Only in fiction would any household put up with Hazel as domestic staff.

It is natural to accommodate trusted and long time servants to some extent, but there are limits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 27, 2022 3:16 AM

Pilot episode, watch it on for free while you can...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 27, 2022 3:18 AM

Yes, Hazel was a nosy buttinski, and not the best maid in world, but by end of show she often came through saving her boss or someone else's hash. That's why she was so loved and kept on...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 27, 2022 3:24 AM

Excuse me...excuse me, what about my episode?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 27, 2022 3:27 AM

Partner is a decade older and described this show to me a while back. Finally caught an episode on ME TV a year or so ago. Something that struck me is the show seemed to portray Hazel as "on the spectrum." Was Hazel what we would now call autistic ?

by Anonymousreply 126July 27, 2022 4:58 AM

Imagine the nasality of a '64 Broadway show with Shirley as the grandmother, Judy Holliday as the daughter, and Lainie Kazan and Madeline Kahn (if she'd debuted several years earlier) as the granddaughters.

by Anonymousreply 127July 27, 2022 4:59 AM

R126

*LOL*

No!

Hazel was just a good old fashioned nosy, bossy, busybody (possibly Jewish) that was once quite common. Especially in say New York or other urban areas.

I've worked with or otherwise known older or even middle aged women exactly like Hazel. As someone mention nanny Fine from show "the Nanny" was a more recent incarnation along same theme.

Though perhaps you might be onto something. Those sort of women did or do seem incapable of reading clues from others indicating what they are saying or doing is causing distress. In clips above Hazel just keeps yapping away even as it is clear her boss is becoming quite angry at her interference.

by Anonymousreply 128July 27, 2022 5:14 AM

All these angry bitches...who here would have fired Hazel and would you have given her severance and what would you tell her was the reason?

by Anonymousreply 129July 27, 2022 5:16 AM

To R129 and tagging onto R128...

If you meet and get to know women like Hazel there is also a flip side; they are usually lonely and perhaps slightly depressed.

No husband (or one who is distant), no family and so forth; they need an outlet for maternal affection. This usually manifests itself in their wanting to be helpful to the extreme. Not shutting up is also another trait of the lonely. You know the sort; you meet them on street or maybe in corridor at office; say one word "hello", and it's off to the races.

Often no, women like Hazel aren't fired or told off because people just don't have the heart. They realize things for what they are, so simply suppress whatever rage and put up with things.

by Anonymousreply 130July 27, 2022 5:22 AM

[quote]Look to the Lilies

Those nuns' wimples make it seem as though they could become airborne, like Sister Bertrille. Singing nuns worked wonders for "The Sound of Music," but not so much in this flop.

by Anonymousreply 131July 27, 2022 5:25 AM

R131

You are referring to cornette or headdress, not wimple.

Head dress of RC religious order for women the Daughters Of Charity Of Saint Vincent De Paul, perhaps one of the more famous and instantly recognizable in world.

As such it was often parodied (if that is proper word) for all sorts of fictional habits for nuns or sisters. This included famous "flying nun"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 27, 2022 5:33 AM

Prior to Vatican II which prompted changes in all religous habits, that huge winged cornette was causing issues.

While it was great for keeping custody of eyes, those wearing it didn't have full use of peripheral vision, and or hearing was effected. As world moved from horse and carriages to motor vehicles this had dire and sometimes deadly consequences. Sisters who didn't see nor hear a fast approaching motor car were struck/run over.

In days before modern washing machines or dry cleaning laundering, starching and ironing that head gear consumed quite a bit of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 27, 2022 5:37 AM

Those old enough to remember such things, graduates of Saint Vincent's hospital various schools of nursing in NYC wore caps slightly modeled on Daughters of Charity cornette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 27, 2022 5:42 AM

Playbill for "Look To The Lilies".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 27, 2022 5:43 AM

Even in 1970, some people didn't full understand the power of television...

Shirley thought she could reinvent herself as she done so many times in her career...

I don't think she realized the enduring power of the character she'd created that would overshadow all her other work

by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2022 5:46 AM

^ As a kid I remember how shocked and disappointed I was that Shirley Booth wasn't always "Hazel" when I saw her in other rolls

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2022 5:52 AM

Which is one of reasons Elizabeth Montgomery took every role she could post Bewitched that was totally opposite of Samantha Stephens.

In end it really didn't work, until her death and still afterwards Ms. Montgomery is mainly remembered for Bewitched.

This is often why many actors today don't want to remain with a television sitcom for long. Jim Parsons joined a not too short list of actors who bailed from very successful shows. Many still haven't wholly forgotten nor forgiven Dan Stephens from leaving Downton Abbey, which he did for some of same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 138July 27, 2022 5:54 AM

The Baxter house on the Hazel show has an interesting history - it was located at the Warner Brothers Ranch studio (originally Screen Gems/Columbia) in Burbank

And it was also used as the exterior of the Cleaver house on "Leave it to Beaver".

It was located next door to the Stephen house used in the TV show "Bewitched" and can be seen clearly in many episodes of that show.

After both "Hazel" and "Leave it to Beaver" series ended, the house was modified by adding a porch across the front of the house, and it was used in many movies from the late 1960 and early 1970s.

And beginning in 1969, the Baxter/Cleaver house with the added porch was used for the home/office of Marcus Welby M.D.

by Anonymousreply 139July 27, 2022 5:56 AM

^ Both the Baxter/Cleaver house and the Stephens house were front facades only - and have been rebuilt and modified many times over the years.

In the opening segment of the Hazel pilot episode above, you can see Hazel hop-scotch past the house known primarily as the Abner and Gladys Kravitz house in the "Bewitched" series.

Also in the Hazel pilot episode, when they cut to the exterior shot of the Johnson house - it's actually not even a house - it's one of the studio office windows.

by Anonymousreply 140July 27, 2022 6:02 AM

Unfortunately, many of the sisters of Daughters Of Charity, Order Of Saint Vincent De Paul pictured in R132 became airborne and were subsequently injured due to strong wind gusts...and the lift factor and other aerodynamic features of their cornets...

by Anonymousreply 141July 27, 2022 6:11 AM

^ Most sitcoms and a lot of movies were filmed at "The Ranch"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 27, 2022 6:11 AM

^ one of them even became stuck in the Johnson's chimney

but luckily Hazel climbed up and pulled her out...

(They became close friends and traveled frequently to the Dinah Shore LPGA tournament for many years after that incident)

by Anonymousreply 143July 27, 2022 6:13 AM

[quote]A Great Neighborhood

If you don't mind all the crazy things that happen at 1164 Morning Glory Circle...

I think I need to take some of my medicine, Abner...

by Anonymousreply 144July 27, 2022 6:21 AM

OP = I don't watch 1930s tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 145July 27, 2022 6:24 AM

^ You're also poorly informed - there were no TV shows in the 1930s

by Anonymousreply 146July 27, 2022 6:27 AM

I like the way Hazel rubs her hips after she takes off her coat...

and reveals to the councilman her floral-print dress that "shows off her figure"

by Anonymousreply 147July 27, 2022 6:40 AM

Tagging onto R138

Difference seems to lay with classically trained actors versus say jumped up models, soap opera actors or whatever who happen to find themselves cast in a hugely popular show.

Jim Parsons for instance graduated from University of Houston (BA) and University of San Diego (MFA). He did the revival of "Harvey" back in 2012 which was very well received.

In UK actors go from stage, small and large screen all the time and no one bats an eye. Even some of the biggest names like Judi Dench, Patricia Routledge, and so forth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 27, 2022 6:41 AM

Hazel was a long-running single-panel comic that ran in the Saturday Evening Post magazine.

by Anonymousreply 149July 27, 2022 6:45 AM

Patricia Routledge mainly go back and forth between one all-you-can-eat buffet to another these days.

by Anonymousreply 150July 27, 2022 6:45 AM

"Whose the gal who's everybody's pal?"

by Anonymousreply 151July 27, 2022 6:46 AM

When Hazel died Mr B refused to pay for the cremation and never picked up the ashes so she was buried in potters field. Missy was upset for a little while but knew George knew best. Sport and Hazel never reconciled after she confiscated his nudie magazines she found under his mattress and he found them again under hers.

by Anonymousreply 152July 27, 2022 6:49 AM

The show posted above that's called the Pilot is actually episode 1 of season 1 of the series.

There was a real unaired pilot filmed earlier with Edward Andrews as Mr. Baxter.

I don't find it to link to now - but it has been on YouTube and I'm sure it will be again.

The big difference I notice in that unaired pilot is that they shot it with Shirley Booth's real hair - that was much thinner and a different texture than the red wig she wore in all the subsequent episode.

by Anonymousreply 153July 27, 2022 6:52 AM

R131

A wimple is what you see Sister Luke (Nun's Story film) being dressed in as part of receiving her holy habit as a novice.

See 0:56..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 27, 2022 6:59 AM

Here's a link to a FB post of the unaired pilot - unfortunately it doesn't start until about 0:32 on this video - it's preceded by the TV series intro with Don Defore as Mr. B.

Anyway, in this unaired pilot, you can see Shirley's real hair, which TV executives apparently decided to cover with a wig for the duration of the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 27, 2022 7:01 AM

My aunt and uncle sometimes complained about Hazel's poor grammar. They understood that the character used it because she was from a poor background, but they thought it set a bad example for young viewers.

My aunt and mother grew up in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Brooklyn in the 1920s and 30s and spoke with heavy Brooklyn accents, but their grammar, vocabulary, and writing were excellent. I think poor English was something they associated with their poor beginnings and felt it was something to overcome.

by Anonymousreply 156July 27, 2022 7:39 AM

@r144, "If you don't mind all the crazy things that happen at 1164 Morning Glory Circle... "

Have you been to 1313 Mockingbird Ln? 😳

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 27, 2022 8:58 AM

My childhood reaction was not a good one.

It seemed old-fashioned. Maybe it was that it was just daily runs of a series that probably felt a bit dated even before it had had wrapped up years earlier. Why can't the maid just mind her fucking business?

Mostly, though, it was Hazel and Shirley Booth. She was a raw wound of anxiety, all out of proportion to anything, flying off the handle to react to anything, everything (when she might simply have dug in a bit and done a little more vacuuming or polishing.) And that fucking voice, and that round chinless face like a slapped ass, like one of Van Gogh's potato eaters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 27, 2022 9:31 AM

I sleep with the TV on, too R4. It's a bad habit, but am so used to it now.

by Anonymousreply 159July 27, 2022 11:05 AM

[quote] Someone in the show later admonished him "You made Hazel cry!"

That was her friend and fellow maid "Rosey", played by the great character actress Maudie Prickett. She was a very busy actress from the 40s on into the mid 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 27, 2022 12:17 PM

[quote]That was her friend and fellow maid "Rosey", played by the great character actress Maudie Prickett.

Oh yeah, I remember Maude from Bea Benaderet's "Only-Girls" parties.

She used to dance with Reta Shaw...

by Anonymousreply 161July 27, 2022 12:35 PM

Mr. B's socially superior sister Deidre was a regular for the first couple of seasons.

She was consistently disdainful of Hazel's behavior.

Then she just disappeared...

by Anonymousreply 162July 27, 2022 12:46 PM

161- She was also Clara on the Andy Griffith Show.

by Anonymousreply 163July 27, 2022 12:52 PM

Clara, Aunt Bee's friend on the Andy Griffith Show, was played by Hope Summers.

who also played one of the witches who helped impregnant poor Rosemary Woodhouse at the Bramford - I guess maybe she just wintered in Mayberry and lived in New York the rest of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 27, 2022 12:58 PM

I haven’t ever watched it, though it was on in syndication now and then when I was a kid. I think there are tiers of sitcoms from that era as far as their longevity and imprint on the public memory.

Tier 1 would be I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Brady Bunch, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan’s Island Tier 2 would be My Three Sons, Green Acres, My Favorite Martian, Petticoat Junction Tier 3 would be Nanny and the Professor, Please Don’t Eat the Daisies, Courtship of Eddie’s Father

Tier 3 were syndicated in the 70s and 80s, but not well remembered and no one gets enthusiastic or very nostalgic for them. Hazel is about tier 2.5.

by Anonymousreply 165July 27, 2022 1:01 PM

R164- Thanks for the correction, my mistake. I never did like the Hazel reruns because I found Hazel, Mr. B. , and that whinny kid annoying af.

by Anonymousreply 166July 27, 2022 1:03 PM

^ That "whinny kid" could skip backwards and smell cookies at the same time...

by Anonymousreply 167July 27, 2022 1:08 PM

^ But apparently he couldn't drive a car, dead at 21 in a car accident

by Anonymousreply 168July 27, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote] there were no TV shows in the 1930s

Actually, there were. Not a lot of people had TV sets then, but they existed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 27, 2022 1:45 PM

R162 Deidre, next door neighbors the Johnsons and Mr. Griffin were the reasons to watch Hazel. Hazel's nasally voice grated on the nerves after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 170July 27, 2022 4:28 PM

R107

Jay North was horribly physically and verbally abused by his guardians (aunt an uncle) during his time as child actor. His fellow cast members on Dennis the Menace didn't know about the abuse, but everyone could tell that Jay North was quiet and introverted boy, and perhaps something wasn't right. But people didn't interfere with how others raised their children then, and of course there was money on table.

If word got out that their star Jay North was being physically abused all heck would have broken lose. JN never told his mother of the abuse he suffered because the aunt threatened him with more of same (quite common). Had she been informed it is likely Jay North's mother would have pulled her son out (and JN would have gone willingly), then were would the suits be? No Jay North, no DTM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 27, 2022 4:42 PM

More about that "bubble" Jay North was kept in..

"Jay also revealed that he was forced to have his dark blonde hair bleached platinum every two weeks during the four years that he starred on the show, and that his aunt kept him sequestered from the rest of the Dennis the Menace cast. In fact, Jay was forced to eat lunch alone in a dressing room."

Happily Jay North's mother invested much of his DTM earnings wisely. When he came of age Jay North had a nice tidy sum, told Hollywood to go fuck themselves, left that place and never looked back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 27, 2022 4:45 PM

Cathy Lewis, who played Hazel's nemesis Deidre Baxter Thompson, was married to actor, writer, producer Elliott Lewis for many years until their divorce in the late 1950s - just before she started working on "Hazel".

Elliott Lewis went on to be the producer/executive producer of Lucy's second series "The Lucy Show".

And he just happened to marry Mary Jane Croft - who played Lucy's friend/neighbor Mary Jane on both "The Lucy Show" and on "Here's Lucy".

Cathy Lewis died of cancer in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 173July 27, 2022 4:49 PM

Refinement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 27, 2022 4:51 PM

"Hazey"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 27, 2022 5:17 PM

Mr. B's sister Deidre never disappeared from the sitcom. In fact she appeared in 17 episodes throughout the whole run from 1961 to 1966.

by Anonymousreply 176July 27, 2022 5:23 PM

Deidre was a cunt. She'd get some kind of comeuppance and then in her next episode...cunting all over again.

by Anonymousreply 177July 27, 2022 5:27 PM

A little trivia. In the final season, Barbara Baxter (played by Lynn Borden) and her next door neighbor & best friend Mona (played by Mala Powers) were actually best friends in real life as well.

It's also interested how few people know that Steve Baxter's secretary in his real estate office was a young Ann Jillian.

by Anonymousreply 178July 27, 2022 5:30 PM

The scenes with Deidre and Hazel were the only ones that produced at least a semblance of comedy. Loved Diedre's reaction when she threw an upper crust party and Hazel would go around talking to the guests like they were her pals.

by Anonymousreply 179July 27, 2022 5:41 PM

[quote]Why can't the maid just mind her fucking business?

Probably because there wouldn't have been a show if she had.

by Anonymousreply 180July 27, 2022 5:44 PM

Penny for your thoughts...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 27, 2022 5:45 PM

I remember Bobby Buntrock from the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 27, 2022 5:48 PM

Shirley Booth, Humphrey Bogart … Hell’s Bells, 1925, her first Broadway play

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 27, 2022 6:05 PM

Just saw this thread...

Hazel was on in reruns on weekday mornings in the seventies. I remember watching it as a kid, if I were home sick from school or on school breaks. I rediscovered it, once Nick at Night and its successors came along.

I'm sure this was mentioned, but Whitney Blake is the mother of Meredith Baxter (Birney).

And Ray Fulmer was much cuter than Don DeFore.

The show reflects the American Dream of sorts pushed on TV from the mid-fifties onward...white, upper middle-class, suburban aspirations. It's middle brow satire of the Dream.

by Anonymousreply 184July 27, 2022 6:22 PM

WML?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 27, 2022 6:24 PM

In Meredith Baxter’s excellent autobiography, “Untied”, she wrote that her mother Whitney Blake (with whom she had a VERY complicated relationship), was initially very excited to be cast on “Hazel”, as it was a steady, high-profile gig in support of a respected actress. But that excitement soon gave way to disillusionment when she realized how little she would have to do on the show.

At first, Blake was little more than a pretty mannequin, then she claimed that her clothes were made more dowdy (reportedly at Booth’s insistence.)

by Anonymousreply 186July 27, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote] And Ray Fulmer was much cuter than Don DeFore.

From far away Ray Fulmer looked like he might be cute, but when they went in for a close up, he wasn't at all.

by Anonymousreply 187July 27, 2022 6:43 PM

R186- Very interesting. I wonder if that is true about the dowdy clothes?

by Anonymousreply 188July 27, 2022 6:43 PM

The original Baxters were far more enjoyable than their replacements. But they didn't have to pay Ray and Lynn as much as they did Don and Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 189July 27, 2022 6:48 PM

Everyone remembers Hazel. She was every lesbian’s first crush

by Anonymousreply 190July 27, 2022 6:49 PM

I don't remember ever seeing the exterior of the Baxters' house, but if it was the same one as the Cleavers' second house (they had a different one in the first season than they did for the subsequent ones), then it was also the same one as Gidget's house (as mentioned before - Gidget and Hazel also had the same kitchen).

P.S. I love threads like this.

by Anonymousreply 191July 27, 2022 8:08 PM

R191- So do I! I love the nostalgia of those shows.

by Anonymousreply 192July 27, 2022 8:11 PM

Not really, R192, the same stuff was happening to people that happens now. We had neighbors who beat their kids and everyone knew ---we couldn't go to their houses because of the parents. Parents fought and beat each other--we'd see the black eyes. Nostalgia is a corruption of history.

by Anonymousreply 193July 27, 2022 10:12 PM

(R50) She was wonderful in the movie, "Come Back, Little Sheba" co-starring with Burt Lancaster. A dramatic role quite unlike Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 194July 27, 2022 10:32 PM

[quote]Nostalgia is a corruption of history

No it isn't, r193. People being nostalgic for drive-in movies or '50s TV shows doesn't erase the existence of domestic violence back then. We knew the TV shows weren't portraying real life. People are nostalgic for the good things not the bad.

by Anonymousreply 195July 27, 2022 10:44 PM

I miss being able to watch and enjoy television without violence and profanity.

by Anonymousreply 196July 27, 2022 10:47 PM

Stick to MeTV and Decades, r196.

by Anonymousreply 197July 27, 2022 10:48 PM

R197- I have been loving the old Gunsmoke show and Dragnet, etc. Thanks for the recommendation because I had no idea they ran Hazel reruns.

by Anonymousreply 198July 27, 2022 10:52 PM

@r196, TV was plenty violent back then. The Untouchables was very violent. Killing was fine, but no sex

by Anonymousreply 199July 27, 2022 10:53 PM

I don't think they do, r198. I watch Hazel on Antenna TV.

by Anonymousreply 200July 27, 2022 11:03 PM

She musta pretty popular, she was always coming up in conversations on the 60s.

"Kiss my Hazel!"

"Hazel You and that horse you rode in on!"

"OMG. She is as lying sack of Hazel!"

by Anonymousreply 201July 27, 2022 11:04 PM

R201- I have always been a bit obsessive compulsive about cleaning and I remember being called Hazel all of the time, lol. " Slow down, Hazel!"

by Anonymousreply 202July 27, 2022 11:07 PM

R178 Ann Jillan's Parents were Lithuanian

by Anonymousreply 203July 27, 2022 11:32 PM

Well, just for fun

Bonnie Franklin appeared in both credited and uncredited roles on the last season of Hazel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 27, 2022 11:40 PM

the time Hazel saw Les Miz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205July 27, 2022 11:57 PM

Yeah, yeah, Bonnie, we know. Also Gidget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206July 27, 2022 11:58 PM

R24. Once, I Saw Bonnie Franklin in the Samuel French Book Store in Studio City. I didn't say anything to her. I wish I had.

by Anonymousreply 207July 27, 2022 11:59 PM

[quote]She was wonderful in the movie, "Come Back, Little Sheba" co-starring with Burt Lancaster. A dramatic role quite unlike Hazel.

Best Actress Oscar winner for this movie. She created the role on Broadway in 1950.

by Anonymousreply 208July 28, 2022 12:00 AM

Both the Tubi and Roku channels have tons of sitcoms from the 50s and 60s including most if not all the ones mentioned here, but probably all.

by Anonymousreply 209July 28, 2022 12:13 AM

Next time you're at Disneyland, make sure to stop in at Don DeFore's Silver Banjo Barbecue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 28, 2022 12:27 AM

R210- Excellent find!! I never knew he owned a restaurant. It looks very nice and in a lovely location. I wish I could afford that sign!

by Anonymousreply 211July 28, 2022 12:38 AM

No. But my mother would randomly and angrily remind me that this wasn't her name growing up for reasons that, to this day, remain unknown.

It seemed to have something to do with dishes in the sink, though.

by Anonymousreply 212July 28, 2022 12:55 AM

R212 Because Hazel was a maid, you lazy asshole. Slacking around while your poor Mother had to do everything. She should have whipped your ass.

by Anonymousreply 213July 28, 2022 1:06 AM

^no, that was Hope Summers, who also had a bit in Rosemary’s Baby. Some of y’all know way too much about nun’s habits.

by Anonymousreply 214July 28, 2022 1:20 AM

^um, strike that first sentence.

by Anonymousreply 215July 28, 2022 1:22 AM

[quote][R212] Because Hazel was a maid

No shit, dummy.

I don't know how obvious I could've made that sarcasm.

Tell me, was your primary mode of transportation growing up yellow, compact, and bus-like?

by Anonymousreply 216July 28, 2022 1:24 AM

[quote]TV was plenty violent back then. The Untouchables was very violent.

Given the time, it's actually shocking that The Untouchables was even allowed on the air given how insanely violent it was. In any typical episode, an entire row of people would get mowed down and that was probably before the first commercial break. In fact, IIRC, they cut way down on the violence in the show's 4th and final season and, as to be expected, it wasn't nearly as good as the first three.

But anyway, back to Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 217July 28, 2022 2:41 AM

I loved Hazel but only the first few seasons with DeFore and Whitney. The last season when they got rid of them for the brother and his wife was just godawful. (And what terrible parents Mr. B and Missy turned out to be, dumping the kid with Hazel to run off and live halfway around the world.)

by Anonymousreply 218July 28, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote]The last season when they got rid of them for the brother and his wife was just godawful.

That's one of the very, very few things that the entirety of DL agrees on, r218.

by Anonymousreply 219July 28, 2022 2:47 AM

I was trying to find a pic of Ray Fulmer now and one site claims this is him but who knows:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 28, 2022 2:49 AM

Well, r220, it says he was born in 1933 so it could well be.

by Anonymousreply 221July 28, 2022 2:52 AM

I wished they had done a Hazel reunion movie, say around 1970 or so. George joins the Nixon administration, Sport doses Hazel’s special eggnog with LSD, and Missy says “Fuck all of you” and runs off to join a feminist commune. Our Hazel copes by prescription shopping for Valium.

by Anonymousreply 222July 28, 2022 3:02 AM

R216 That didn't come across as sarcasm. You comment was silly and not very witty or clever either. I think that R213 was just ribbing you., but obviously you re a bitter old cunt and need to retaliate w/ implying someone is mentally handicapped. I mean, it is a "Hazel" thread after all. Lighten up/

by Anonymousreply 223July 28, 2022 3:26 AM

She was a wonderful actress. See Comeback Little Sheba or the Matchmaker. She was also a great stage actress. Hazel was TV pablum-

by Anonymousreply 224July 28, 2022 3:33 AM

But it was comforting and entertaining pablum, you know!

by Anonymousreply 225July 28, 2022 3:35 AM

Too many DL Shirleys: Booth, Feeney, Hemphill, Jones, Knight, MacLaine, Temple, Valentine

by Anonymousreply 226July 28, 2022 3:42 AM

R225 Good Clean Fun!

by Anonymousreply 227July 28, 2022 3:44 AM

No Anne Shirley, r226?

by Anonymousreply 228July 28, 2022 3:50 AM

[quote][R216] That didn't come across as sarcasm.

Bruh...

[quote]It seemed to have something to do with dishes in the sink, though.

[quote]I think that [R213] was just ribbing you.,

Nah. That person legitimately didn't get the sarcasm; blatant reference to childhood kitchen chores be damned. My mental handicap suspicion is valid.

by Anonymousreply 229July 28, 2022 4:02 AM

R229 Nah Bruh, you're just being Cunty! Not very Hazel of you.

by Anonymousreply 230July 28, 2022 4:04 AM

R199

Says you!

Peter Gunn and Edie Hart were climbing all over each other every chance they got. True there wasn't "sex" per se, but the two of them pawing and slobbering over each other wasn't that far off.

by Anonymousreply 231July 28, 2022 6:14 AM

Hell's Bells only ran for 120 performances before closing. Many today don't remember or ever knew Humphrey Bogart started out as a stage actor.

"Tennis anyone" was first used in "Hell's Bells"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232July 28, 2022 6:21 AM

Best modern reference to Hazel for me comes from "The Sopranos"

Always one to stir the pot, Tony S send kid to sweep up cheese and other trash on floor. Silvo already on edge because he's losing big at that poker game jumps up and yells "What the fuck are you doing? I'm losing my balls over here and this kid is playing Hazel?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 28, 2022 6:44 AM

[quote]Deidre was a cunt. She'd get some kind of comeuppance and then in her next episode...cunting all over again.

Horseshit, Deidre was the only one who saw thru Hazel's selfish shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 234July 28, 2022 7:51 AM

Mrs. B #2 Lynn Borden would go onto A.I.P.'s "Frogs" starring Ray Milland and Sam Elliott and Pam Grier's "Black Mama White Mama" where she played a lesbian prison guard in the Philippines who would hide in a closet and masturbate while watching the girls shower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 28, 2022 7:58 AM

@r231, " True there wasn't "sex" per se,"

Then you agree and I'm right as always 🙂

- r199

by Anonymousreply 236July 28, 2022 8:48 AM

[quote]Mrs. B #2 Lynn Borden would go onto A.I.P.'s "Frogs" starring Ray Milland and Sam Elliott and Pam Grier's "Black Mama White Mama" where she played a lesbian prison guard in the Philippines who would hide in a closet and masturbate while watching the girls shower.

Wow, did not see that coming Mrs. B!

Guess that's why you liked to see Hazel try on uniforms that showed off her figure.

by Anonymousreply 237July 28, 2022 10:30 AM

R232, I believe 120 performances for a play back in the day was considered a decent run. Even the Petrified Forest only ran 197 performances.

By the way, Hells Bells was a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 238July 28, 2022 1:51 PM

[quote]Peter Gunn and Edie Hart were climbing all over each other every chance they got

No, we really weren't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 28, 2022 4:20 PM

It's been a very long time since I saw Come Back Little Sheba. I seem to recall her teenage daughter bringing home a hot, blonde jock. And it seemed to me that the frumpy, overweight Shirley Booth character was sexually attracted to him. She didn't actually say it, or come on to him. but it was clear that he was arousing her, and she was ashamed of having those feelings. She played it pretty brilliantly, especially for 1952.

by Anonymousreply 240July 28, 2022 8:07 PM

OK, reading a synopsis, it wasn't her daughter. It was a boarder who brought the hot young jock into the house. I'm recalling Hazel was no longer getting it from her husband, so she was frustrated.

by Anonymousreply 241July 28, 2022 8:09 PM

She was lusting vicariously, r241.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 28, 2022 8:12 PM

She was rumored to have the hottest ankles in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 243July 28, 2022 9:30 PM

That jock was Richard Jaeckel, and he was quite the hottie.

Here he is with fellow hottie, Tony Curtis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 28, 2022 9:38 PM

In Sheba...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245July 28, 2022 9:41 PM

A young Cloris Leachman was originally cast as the sexy boarder Marie in the original Broadway production of “Come Back, Little Sheba”, but she quit the show on the road prior to opening when she received an offer to do Shakespeare with Katharine Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 246July 29, 2022 4:08 AM

Rally she did...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 29, 2022 4:12 PM

I’ve never seen it but I hate it. My eyes are hazel, and this show just gives them a frumpy association.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 30, 2022 7:36 AM

Time of the Cuckoo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 30, 2022 6:19 PM

I happened to come across one of the final season's episodes today on one of those cable channels. The guy who played Steve Baxter comes off as deranged. I see his career didn't pan out much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250August 1, 2022 2:27 AM

That last season really was execrable -- so much so that they should strike it from the syndication package and just start over with the first episode once the 4th season is done.

by Anonymousreply 251August 1, 2022 2:32 AM

Ray Fulmer wire his pants high and tight. I’ve spotted bulge!

by Anonymousreply 252August 4, 2022 12:57 PM

^ wore

by Anonymousreply 253August 4, 2022 12:58 PM

Does anyone remember Grindl with Imogene Coca? It ran one season, fall '63/spring '64, and everyone at the time considered it a rip off of Hazel. The set up was slightly different. Grindl worked for a temp agency and worked a variety of jobs but usually she ended up as some kind of domestic help, like a maid. It flopped but I liked it better than Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 254August 5, 2022 11:27 AM

I stopped watching after Mr. & Mrs. B left the show, abandoning their child. I couldn't help but feel that Hazel had knocked up Mrs. B so they had no choice but to flee in shame.

by Anonymousreply 255August 5, 2022 11:41 AM

R254 I remember Grindl. Imogene Coca was a brilliant sketch comedian playing wacky characters. I think it was more difficult to sustain her kind of humorous characters on a sitcom. She also played a cavewoman on the show “It’s About Time,” but as a gayling I had my eyes mostly on Frank Aletter and Jack Mullaney who played astronauts that went back in time to the era of cave dwellers.

by Anonymousreply 256August 5, 2022 3:33 PM

Grindl's opening credits...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 5, 2022 4:08 PM

GRINDL needs to be rebooted as GRINDR.

by Anonymousreply 258August 5, 2022 4:46 PM

Did Shirley deserve her Oscar or should it have gone to Joan Crawford for Sudden Fear?

by Anonymousreply 259August 5, 2022 4:52 PM

Carol Burnett stole Imogene Coca's act.

by Anonymousreply 260August 5, 2022 4:53 PM

I remember "Grindl." I always pair it in my mind with "Glynis," another failed sitcom that also debuted in the fall of 1963 and that also had a first name starting with G as its title. "Grindl" lasted the whole season, but "Glynis," starring Glynis Johns, was taken off the air in December.

by Anonymousreply 261August 5, 2022 7:33 PM

[quote]Did Shirley deserve her Oscar or should it have gone to Joan Crawford for Sudden Fear?

Please. "Sudden Fear" is enjoyable as camp, but it's late-career Joan doing her bug-eyed overacting and using every melodramatic trick in her large bag of them.

by Anonymousreply 262August 5, 2022 7:36 PM

Julie Harris should've won the Oscar instead of Shirley!

by Anonymousreply 263August 8, 2022 2:48 AM

Shirley Booth was a great actress...an Oscar, an Emmy, multiple Tonys....the Triple Crown for actors....all she needed was a Grammy and she would have been an EGOT. She was one of the best.

by Anonymousreply 264August 8, 2022 3:18 AM

^^^and Golden Globe^^^

by Anonymousreply 265August 8, 2022 3:35 AM

But no People's Choice award? Loser Shirley!

by Anonymousreply 266August 8, 2022 3:38 AM

Since they've both been brought up in this thread, are there any nudes (or near-nudes) of Ray Fulmer or Richard Jaeckel?

by Anonymousreply 267August 8, 2022 4:09 AM

Ray Fulmer's career was so brief, I doubt there are even that many pictures of him fully clothed, R267.

by Anonymousreply 268August 8, 2022 4:57 AM

r256...Peoples Choice wasnt created until AFTER she retired...or she would have one of them too

by Anonymousreply 269August 8, 2022 2:51 PM

Sorry, r269 was for r266

by Anonymousreply 270August 8, 2022 2:51 PM

Trying to track down a specific quick clip of this show. Hazels down with Mr B and Missy to watch TV and awkwardly positions herself between them. “I like to be in the middle,” she says, eating from a bowl of popcorn (as I remember it).

Anyone remember what ep this might be in?

by Anonymousreply 271August 8, 2022 10:02 PM

Here ya go, R271.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272August 9, 2022 1:18 AM

You Yankees just don't know how to deal with the help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273August 9, 2022 1:27 AM

No I don’t remember that shit

by Anonymousreply 274August 9, 2022 1:49 AM

[quote] and awkwardly positions herself between them. “I like to be in the middle,” she says, eating from a bowl of popcorn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275August 9, 2022 2:31 AM

Thanks, R272, you had that for me in a jiff'!

by Anonymousreply 276August 9, 2022 5:29 PM

[quote]Shirley Booth was a great actress...an Oscar, an Emmy, multiple Tonys....the Triple Crown for actors....all she needed was a Grammy and she would have been an EGOT. She was one of the best.

She was all of the above, that 's how she made a true cunt of a character lovable.

by Anonymousreply 277August 9, 2022 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!