Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone cook restaurant quality food at home?

Has anybody else discovered it is too expensive to go out all the time, but not to gourmet cook at home?. Has anybody discovered they are a home chef within the past two years, and enjoy it?

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2022 11:46 AM

I’m a good cook and a great one when I’m in the mood. I don’t have a dishwasher and my Bf is the worst dishwasher in the world so I cook less than I would like

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2022 10:11 PM

Deep Thoughts, by....

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2022 10:12 PM

Yes, it's not as hard as you think. 10 years ago, I was one of those people who could burn water. I have steadily learned small things and general techniques in the kitchen. Because I enjoy food, I like reading recipes. I think what I am good at is finding are good recipes or at least writer's I trust. I don't generally deviate from recipes too much, because I am not to that level, but the few times I have, have been generally good. You don't need a ton of standout dishes to master, but find a few things you like and experiment. I recommend Ina Garten's recipes which are mostly foolproof and also Deb Perelman of the Smitten Kitchen blog. Both of their recipes have almost never steered me wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2022 10:14 PM

Yes. When a container of sesame noodles costs $10, I sure as fuck am making my own. For $10 I can make SO MUCH of that shit. Okay, the toasted sesame oil is a bit pricey, but it lasts forever. I’ve gotten good at many ethnic cuisines, but can’t do Thai or Indian.

Some things it doesn’t make sense, to buy all the ingredients and make it at home. I’ll never make a burger at home as good as my favorite burger joint. I can’t cook steak. But my Greek salad is superior to anything I’ve had in a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2022 10:14 PM

I'm an excellent cook, and proud of the fact. I truly enjoy sharing my food with friends and family. It is cheaper than eating out -but you are cooking for only one or two, you have to be very organized or a lot of fresh ingredients can end up going to waste (as well as to waist).

This morning I noticed I had five leftover egg yolks from a cake I had made -I had to eat them or toss them. What to do? Hollandaise sauce, of course. Eggs over easy on toasted sourdough, with fresh basil leaves, a homegrown tomato, and some avocado -topped with the Hollandaise. Ten minutes and done. And a $20 entree at any Sunday brunch.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2022 10:19 PM

I can definitely make better salads at home than what average restaurants serve.

Omelets, I can make better at home. (Restaurants always overcook the egg. Plus, I use better / more fillings.)

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2022 10:22 PM

Yes, I have always loved to cook, but was lazy. I found after spending about $500 in spices and pantry items, I can make just about everything. Being retired helps as my cooking day starts at 3:00pm with tipples and continues until dinner is served, or until I pass out.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2022 10:24 PM

[quote] It is cheaper than eating out -but you are cooking for only one or two, you have to be very organized or a lot of fresh ingredients can end up going to waste (as well as to waist).

r5 I find that to be well. I cook for two and hate to go shopping. I usually go every 10 days. But, to make good meals takes a lot of planning about what spoils first and what we eat last. But, it can be done, with imagination.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2022 10:27 PM

I eat at restaurants or take-out because I can't cook well. Any recipe that has more than 8 ingredients (including salt and pepper) intimidates me and I find it easier to just let someone else do the work.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2022 10:45 PM

Don't let ingredients intimidate you, R9! Some of the most difficult dishes have only a few ingredients, while many very simple things call for a lot. Look at what you're asked to do with them. Sometimes you just dump them all into the pot together and stir. Anyone can do that with no skills at all. :)

Try watching a few YouTube videos -I recommend Julia Child, as her goal was teaching, not food pron. Ina Garten (mentioned above) also does good videos and explains things well. Watch the video for something you want to try several times. Write it down. And then make it along to the video. You'll be amazed at the result.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2022 11:03 PM

Yes, but I've worked in multiple line cook roles and food prep, so I already knew how to make many of these dishes myself at home.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2022 11:05 PM

Yeah, the number of ingredients is no guarantee of a good outcome.

Over the years, I've simplified my recipes by cutting out ingredients. E.g., you can make a good curry with S&B curry powder and a can of coconut cream / coconut milk (full fat, not low fat). Other ingredients, of course, but those 2 basics will probably give you a good outcome.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2022 11:20 PM

Indian I will always do at home.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2022 11:34 PM

Yes I can. You just have make the same thing again and again until you learn how to do it perfectly. This is too much work for most people.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2022 11:08 AM

Yes I cook frequently, for myself and my husband, and we also do little dinner parties for friends (more frequently before Covid obvi). I don’t go too fancy, but I do stuff like make my own pasta and pizza, bake bread and pastries, etc. I follow recipes, watch videos and read lots of cookbooks. Lately TikTok and IG have been great for salads and air fryer ideas.

We still go out for dinner once a week but that’s it. It’s gotten so so expensive, it’s unreal.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2022 11:34 AM

No, anything I cook at home is far better than anything you could find in a restaurant. My food tastes great, and what more, it's not loaded to the gills with salt, MSG, and fat.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2022 11:45 AM

With the heat, I'm making pasta salad almost every day. It's about $5 for a plastic container that is basically one meal. A box of curly wheat pasta is $1.50, canned meat $3 (tuna much cheaper), creamy salad dressing $2 a bottle, and frozen veggies $3 for a big plastic bag. That's a month's worth of lunches for under $20. I'm glad fresh basil is in seasoning. I use it in all my cooking, including breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2022 11:45 AM

Stealth Greg thread.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2022 11:54 AM

R16, that’s another thing: salt. I don’t even avoid or ration salt in my home cooking, and am horrified by how salty everything is when eating out. A dinner out means I’ll be thirsty all night and puffy in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2022 11:25 AM

Is Denny's a restaurant? If so, yes.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2022 11:38 AM

I'm lazy and don't like to cook. It's basic food... salad or a steamed vegetable, chicken or some kind of meat baked in the oven. Also, I order food delivery...once or every other week.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2022 11:42 AM

I swear Instagram has made me a better cook. You have to put up with a lot of young women delivering the recipes in high pitched nasal vocal fry voices (“smoked chickpea avocado salad, let’s go!”) but the recipes are simple and good.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2022 11:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!