Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gene Kelly sounded like a bastard

I didn’t know he married a teenager too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387January 5, 2024 12:59 PM

Irish tinymeat.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2022 8:42 PM

He was a strange guy. He was raised in an Irish Catholic family where the brothers were very competitive with one another, and so he was exceptionally aggressive in all forms of competing, from garnering film roles to games he's host at his LA home. It helped him become a huge star, but I wouldn't have wanted to have been friends with him unless he fucked me.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2022 8:43 PM

gin...too early, r2?

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2022 8:47 PM

Arthur Laurents talks about how thirsty Gene Kelly was. There was a party at Kelly's house and Noel Coward was entertaining everyone from the piano. Kelly resented not being the center of attention so he began furiously dancing about the living room. Laurents said it was a pathetic display.

I remember reading a similar story about Jerry Lewis who was out to dinner with family. When one family member was telling a story and getting too much attention, Jerry started putting breadsticks up his nose to draw focus. And, of course, everyone knew they had to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2022 8:47 PM

Here for the ASS pictures.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2022 8:50 PM

[quote] Kelly resented not being the center of attention so he began furiously dancing about the living room. Laurents said it was a pathetic display.

I'm sure Laurents had a point there, but this is still making me laugh.

"Oh no - don't look right now, but Gene Kelly is dancing in your living room. So annoying!"

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2022 8:52 PM

To be fair Arthur Laurents seemed like a piece of work too.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2022 8:53 PM

Everyone is a bastard.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2022 8:59 PM

I've heard more bad stories about him than good.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2022 9:01 PM

Oh no! Let's cancel him immediately!

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2022 9:01 PM

Arthur Laurents raised an eyebrow at Kelly's homophobia, given the rumors he had heard.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2022 9:03 PM

He was a lovely man—not quite too good for this world but close to. The nasty stories that came out after his death are just envious people trying to tear down in death someone who they couldn’t in life.

As for the age of his wife, she was actually NOT a teen when they married. She was much younger but the teen stuff is just a rumor.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2022 9:03 PM

His entire name sounds very feminine and wussy. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2022 9:04 PM

R10 I don’t think he should be canceled. I’m a fan of several “problematic” people from the Old Hollywood era. But it’s good to know the full scope of a person.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2022 9:04 PM

Love him.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2022 9:04 PM

R12 They met when she was 15 and married when she was 17. It’s not okay now but things were different back then.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote]The nasty stories that came out after his death are just envious people trying to tear down in death someone who they couldn’t in life.

You can always count on the starry-eyed fans to type this kind of bullshit. Fans are so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2022 9:06 PM

Olivia talked about working with him in her book. She said he had a pleasant personality but was a complete perfectionist when it came to his dancing. Refused to take direction from anyone in the dance numbers and wound-up choreographing all of his own work in Xanadu.

Madonna had him fired from the Girlie Show tour. He was supposed to direct the Rain number. She had her brother do it, who was horrified that he had to sack a legend. Madonna was non plussed.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2022 9:06 PM

R16, that’s not true.

R17, eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2022 9:07 PM

R19

Maybe making that particular film helped Betsy Blair, then 31, make her own break from the appealing, glamorous MGM story line she’d been living for most of her adult life. Right around the time she was nominated for her Oscar, she was in the process of leaving Gene Kelly, whom she first met at age 16 — a girl next door dancing her heart out to make it onto a chorus line.

Had she not met Kelly, then a 28-year-old choreographer who fought to get her cast in a nightclub revue, maybe Blair would have attended Sarah Lawrence, where she was already accepted. She might have married a doctor, choreographed the high-school senior show and worried about things like stains on the carpet and commutes. But she did meet Kelly and lived instead the life that housewives and young girls alike paid money to inhabit, via the silver screen, for two hours at a time. First Kelly whisked his bookish, bright-eyed ingenue around New York, taking her to museums, Village jazz clubs, Polish dance halls and the Rainbow Room, buying her chocolate sodas late at night as he and his left-leaning friends talked politics around the table. Then, as his star rose, he whisked her all the way to Hollywood. At their home on Rodeo Drive, Blair, a mother at 18, entertained talents like Arthur Laurents and André Previn and stars like Lena Horne and Noël Coward at regular Saturday gatherings. Starlets, playwrights and legends played competitive games of volleyball and charades when they weren’t introducing new songs or listening to Judy Garland solos. Blair was no great singer, which didn’t stop her from belting out tunes around the piano; she wasn’t beautiful, which didn’t stop her from becoming a seductive flirt. What, precisely, was the nature of her charm? “She was joyous,” Leslie Caron, who fondly recalls those Saturday nights in her autobiography, “Thank Heaven,” told me. In that time, in that place, who wouldn’t be?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2022 9:11 PM

Hi R20, love you doll!!!

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2022 9:13 PM

He farted on my face!

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2022 9:19 PM

His wives all shared a rather manly look.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2022 9:20 PM

I met the brother Fred. He was a real nice average guy. Obviously he had none of Gene's crazy career ambition..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2022 9:39 PM

Undeniably talented, but there was always something about him I didn’t like.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2022 9:42 PM

I thought he was very hammy.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2022 9:47 PM

r24

Oh, I didn't know about the brother - interesting that both he and Fred Astaire started out dancing with siblings.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2022 9:54 PM

R14 blow it out your ass you twat

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2022 9:57 PM

An asshole who was a bit of a snob, dismissive towards those who were not gifted.

The quad muscles of life.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2022 10:37 PM

Who the fuck cares what an entertainer was like as a person? What is this 21st century obsession with every public figure having to be some kind of role model or lovely person? Neocon bullshit, that's what it is, but this time perpetuated by so-called "liberals." It seemed so much better when all you got about actors personal lives was crap spouted off by their studios.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2022 10:40 PM

R30 Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2022 10:45 PM

Arthur Laurents was such an asshole that I cannot take any of his judgments on people's character seriously.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2022 11:26 PM

Arthur Laurents is indistinguishable from Arthur Lehmann.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2022 11:29 PM

[quote] Who the fuck cares what an entertainer was like as a person? What is this 21st century obsession with every public figure having to be some kind of role model or lovely person? Neocon bullshit, that's what it is, but this time perpetuated by so-called "liberals." It seemed so much better when all you got about actors personal lives was crap spouted off by their studios.

Right. Said the queen on a gossip site...

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2022 11:30 PM

His last wife, Patricia Ward has made a cottage industry of Kelly and she sounds like a real piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2022 11:31 PM

Ernest Lehmann was a real piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2022 11:33 PM

Gene Kelly's buttocks were a piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2022 11:47 PM

Yep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2022 11:54 PM

He was VERY jealous of Gene Nelson. Nelson did not have Kellys bigger muscular figure or his ass -(he was solid, lean muscle) but he more than matched him in talent and surpassed him in athletic ability.

Kelly had a hand in choosing the clips in "That's Dancing!" Nelson was completely ignored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2022 11:57 PM

No Nelson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2022 12:02 AM

[quote]Arthur Laurents was such an asshole that I cannot take any of his judgments on people's character seriously.

Assholes often have the best takes on other assholes.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2022 12:04 AM

The OP hasn't provided any evidence of this so-called 'bastardry'.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2022 12:05 AM

R41 is correct. Look at Gore Vidal’s career.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2022 12:05 AM

Janet modeled several of her videos after the great MGM musicals that Gene starred in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2022 12:06 AM

[quote] Irish tinymeat.

From what I've heard Gene Kelly is not small.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2022 12:08 AM

His best acting role was in the totally awesome Joan Collins mini-series Sins (1986).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2022 12:12 AM

R34 I'm interested in gossip but not moralizing about it, saying that I don't like someone because they were mean or they were somehow bigots or whatnot. All gossip sites are the moral police now, especially the women run ones like deuxmoi and ONTD - they used to be so much more fun in the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2022 12:14 AM

R47 There's good gossip and there's witty gossip. And there's just LAZY gossip.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2022 12:16 AM

I enjoyed his movies, his dancing, he had a strong solid athletic body, nice shoulders,, thighs and ass Cheeks, and some measure of sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2022 12:23 AM

R47 It’s true. Twitter is also a cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2022 12:49 AM

[quote] [R34] I'm interested in gossip but not moralizing about it, saying that I don't like someone because they were mean or they were somehow bigots or whatnot. All gossip sites are the moral police now, especially the women run ones like deuxmoi and ONTD - they used to be so much more fun in the 2000s.

That's not what you argued at r30. At r30, you said:

[quote] Who the fuck cares what an entertainer was like as a person? What is this 21st century obsession with every public figure having to be some kind of role model or lovely person? Neocon bullshit, that's what it is, but this time perpetuated by so-called "liberals." It seemed so much better when all you got about actors personal lives was crap spouted off by their studios.

You're changing your tune.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2022 1:28 AM

sybil

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2022 1:30 AM

Gene Nelson was not an MGM star and theefore not in the That's Entertainment movies. Nothing to do with Gene Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2022 1:34 AM

Performing "Singing In The Rain" with a high fever is a "dark behind the scenes story?" Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2022 1:37 AM

He was a little bitch who’d CUT YOU.

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2022 1:45 AM

So now we all know where Gene Kelly stood vis-à-vis Gene Nelson's career; but where did he stand on Gene Rayburn's career? I think by this time we deserve to know.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2022 1:46 AM

R51 I don't see how my statements are in conflict. I don't care if he was "reported to be" a good or bad person, it doesn't change my opinion of him. The problem is that so many people have taken alleged moral failings of artists, many of whom are DEAD, to actually matter in regard to their work....

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2022 1:50 AM

[quote] we all know where Gene Kelly stood vis-à-vis Gene Nelson's career; but where did he stand on Gene Rayburn's career?

And what about Gene Pallete's?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2022 1:58 AM

But he loved singing away in the rain....

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2022 2:28 AM

Why didn't Gene Kelly appear with Grace Kelly?

Was he too short?

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2022 2:30 AM

[quote] I didn’t know he married a teenager too.

Well, she was a Commy nutcase.

The Commies were using both of them for PR.

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2022 2:33 AM

R18, "nonplussed" actually means surprised, not unfazed. I make that mistake all the time.

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2022 2:39 AM

He’s no Gene Shalit.

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2022 2:45 AM

Of course, the feud with Gene Marshall was legendary.

He called her “small.” And “wooden.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2022 3:02 AM

Or Gene Tierney? I bet he is the one who drove her into the nuthouse.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2022 3:04 AM

I thought he was at his most winning when starting with Judy. He always seemed so hammy in other roles, but not so much with Judy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2022 3:06 AM

The American Masters episode that PBS did on Gene is truly great and very even-handed about his personal life, including a wonderful poignant interview with first wife Betsy Blair. Check it out if you can find it online.

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2022 3:11 AM

[quote] Ballin' the Jack

Sounds smutty.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2022 3:16 AM

All things considered, Gene Kelly doesn't seem that bad at all. What did he do that made him "a bastard?" What a stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2022 3:29 AM

It sounds more like Debbie Reynolds was an ungrateful whiner. Gene cast her and gave her a huge break and then rehearsed her until she could deliver a perfect performance, Poor Debbie!!

by Anonymousreply 70July 23, 2022 3:33 AM

And everyone in old Hollywood knew that Esther Williams was an entitled cunt who couldn't act, only swim.

by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2022 3:34 AM

DL's Resident Gene Nelson stan always gets in a plug. Tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 72July 23, 2022 3:53 AM

Weird, but you often hear of people calling perfectionist male artists assertive but female ones bitches. However for some reason, Gene's perfectionism reputation always rings of bitchiness to me. Also, compared with a lot of what I've read or heard from fellow fans of both Gene and Judy Garland separately, unlike those who say that once she became a star you didn't take your eyes off of Judy or notice anyone costarring around her in a film scene...however, in her movies with Gene, my attention is always shifted off from Judy and onto Gene (and not of course admittedly because of his sexiness, but due to his presence in equal measure to Judy's onscreen).

by Anonymousreply 73July 23, 2022 3:54 AM

I meant above to write and not --just-- because of his sexiness... Scusatemi! :)

by Anonymousreply 74July 23, 2022 3:55 AM

R66 whenever I see that clip I am astounded by Judy's many skills and I can't keep my eyes off her so slim pins performing all that.

by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2022 3:56 AM

R71 Somebody sounds jealous that Esther got 13 years worth of Fernando Lamas sizemeat!

by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2022 3:56 AM

That number at r66 is nice--they're both such fine dancers, but they have different styles (he is always so athletic, even when he's doing a dance that's not challenging him at all).

I also like it that Kelly isn't flashing his cheesy "LIKE ME! LIKE ME!" smile he was always doing by the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2022 4:01 AM

Esther wrote a biography which I seem to remember was tales of one huge dong after another.

by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2022 4:11 AM

autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 79July 23, 2022 4:12 AM

Gene Kelly didn’t age well, as a type.

(Not that he needed to. I’m sure he was filthy rich.)

by Anonymousreply 80July 23, 2022 4:16 AM

[quote] "Arthur Laurents is indistinguishable from Arthur Lehmann."

Arthur Lehmann the visual artist, R33? The only other Lehman I'm familiar with, is legendary screenwriter Ernest Lehman (who oddly enough, never won a competitive Academy Award...which is a fucking crime).

by Anonymousreply 81July 23, 2022 4:39 AM

I don't think he was a bastard. He was a perfectionist and expected the absolute best of his screen partners. Maybe he worked too hard, but... we're still talking bout his movies and dancing today. Singin' in the Rain was released on 4K recently and it's still as stunning as ever. The dancing is spectacular, even if I think Jean Hagen is equally important to the success of the film as Kelly is. She almost steals the picture from everyone.

I don't think Kelly gets enough credit for his singing. I think his version of Our Love is Here to Stay from An American in Paris is absolutely exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 82July 23, 2022 4:46 AM

Mediocrity is acceptable and everyone is soft these days, R82. That's why Gene Kelly is considered a bastard by today's standards.

by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2022 4:49 AM

What about my hit mini-series, Sins?????

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2022 4:58 AM

Gene Kelly's singing, especially the ballads in "Singin' in the Rain" and "Brigadoon" are a trial to sit through. Sure he could dance and his ass was superb (especially in "An American in Paris"), but Gene Nelson and Donald O'Connor had much better and more pleasant singing voices, and the great songwriters wrote for Fred Astaire, who while having a rather reedy voice, had a very distinct way of putting over a song.

by Anonymousreply 85July 23, 2022 5:18 AM

They should have just cast Jane Powell, who really could dance and was already an MGM star, opposite Kelly in "Singin' in the Rain". Then we wouldn't have heard all the crap about Kelly mistreating Reynolds. But Debbie was good, and she was cast over the objection of Kelly, not with his approval. By the way, I know Debbie reteamed and was friends with Donald O'Connor, but did she ever appear or do publicity in any friendly manner or any manner at all after the release of "Singin' in the Rain" and any required publicity tours were over?

by Anonymousreply 86July 23, 2022 5:21 AM

with Kelly that is?

by Anonymousreply 87July 23, 2022 5:21 AM

His sexiness is overrated. His ass looks like it smells.

by Anonymousreply 88July 23, 2022 5:35 AM

And the "Gotta Dance!" number with Cyd should have been cut. It's a lox.

by Anonymousreply 89July 23, 2022 5:37 AM

Kelly and Reynolds fucked during the filming of that movie so they must have found common ground.

by Anonymousreply 90July 23, 2022 5:37 AM

I thought Debbie was from a Mormon family, or something.

I guess she ditched that quick.

by Anonymousreply 91July 23, 2022 5:39 AM

I'll say!

by Anonymousreply 92July 23, 2022 5:40 AM

[quote] Gene Kelly didn’t age well

And we can blame him for that mega-turkey called 'Hello Dolly'. I assume Babs had him under her thumb.

And Babs vetoed that clever female (whose name I've forgotten) from playing the 2nd female lead.

by Anonymousreply 93July 23, 2022 7:04 AM

[quote]The problem is that so many people have taken alleged moral failings of artists, many of whom are DEAD, to actually matter in regard to their work....

When it comes to cads like John Wayne, the ire is warranted.

by Anonymousreply 94July 23, 2022 7:41 AM

John Wayne was as caddish as Rex Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 95July 23, 2022 7:43 AM

[quote]Arthur Laurents talks about how thirsty Gene Kelly was.

Thirsty?

by Anonymousreply 96July 23, 2022 7:45 AM

Kelly was said to have been tolerant of Judy when her problems caused delays on Summer Stock but occasionally he flashes her some dirty looks. Perhaps because director Charles Walters was equally frustrated by Judy he allowed these shots to stay in the film.

by Anonymousreply 97July 23, 2022 7:54 AM

His ass was perfection! And from the sound of it, he was a perfect ass, too! He was handsome and had a hot little body. I imagine he was one hot fuck. BUT he also sounds like a total asshole who was poison to be around.

by Anonymousreply 98July 23, 2022 8:05 AM

Rex Harrison was a racist too?

by Anonymousreply 99July 23, 2022 8:05 AM

A magnificent homosexual who was best sisters with Judy Garland!

by Anonymousreply 100July 23, 2022 8:13 AM

"The problem is that so many people have taken alleged moral failings of artists, many of whom are DEAD, to actually matter in regard to their work...."

WON'T SOMERBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!

I would have called you Mary! But you're more of a Helen, as in Helen Lovejoy.

Why does anyone get a pass for their shit because they're dead?

Or because they're an artist?

by Anonymousreply 101July 23, 2022 8:37 AM

[quote]Who the fuck cares what an entertainer was like as a person?

This is a gossip board, you goddamned moron.

Half the threads I've gone to this morning have had jackasses bitching because gossip has been posted here. I guess it's the new troll divide-and-distract talking point.

by Anonymousreply 102July 23, 2022 10:36 AM

[quote]his ass was superb (especially in "An American in Paris")

Excuse me, Miss, but have you never seen "The Pirate?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 23, 2022 10:39 AM

So hot and so sexy and talented and a great star. That he was an asshole in real life? I could care less.

Not long ago, I saw a photo on social media of him - a rare shot without the toupee and he looked even hotter.

by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2022 11:46 AM

Debbie told the story about SINGING IN THE RAIN for years, but it was never about how horrible Gene was, but how difficult it had been for her, but how much she learned and in the end, how grateful she was to Gene. And I sincerely doubt Gene and Debbie were sleeping together during the making of the film. She said she was a virgin at the time and I tend to believe it. (though I presume it excludes any fooling around with old gym teacher friends.)

As far as Esther Williams is concerned, Kelly did treat her horribly, but then again, she wasn't the nicest person either. But, though she was never a great actress, she had a very charming, very believable personality on screen, that makes you understand why she was a star. Eleanor Holm was as pretty and could swim as well as Esther, but she never made it in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 105July 23, 2022 11:48 AM

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME - Why in the world did they team Esther with Gene in a film about baseball, anyway? Did she even swim in the film and if she did, what excuse did they give? There would have been so many more appropriate MGM ladies as Gene's costar. Did Sinatra, also in the film, ever come down on the side of Gene or Esther?

by Anonymousreply 106July 23, 2022 1:22 PM

OP- The question inquiring gay dl minds want to know is-

Was Kelly a TOP or a BOTTOM?

by Anonymousreply 107July 23, 2022 1:27 PM

Debbie was pretty innocent, as you can tell as one critic pointed out that at the very end of "Good Morning", she quickly makes sure her dress is down and proper.

by Anonymousreply 108July 23, 2022 3:09 PM

Gene’s was her first abortion.

by Anonymousreply 109July 23, 2022 3:10 PM

And Agnes More-head's was her second.

by Anonymousreply 110July 23, 2022 3:26 PM

R35, the widow Patricia Ward-Kelly is a bitch on wheels. And a dyke.

Of course she's "protecting his legacy". It's her only source of income...

by Anonymousreply 111July 23, 2022 3:28 PM

[quote]Gene Nelson was not an MGM star and theefore not in the That's Entertainment movies. Nothing to do with Gene Kelly.

That's Dancing! included numbers from other studios, r53.

by Anonymousreply 112July 23, 2022 3:28 PM

Hitchcock really should have cast Cary Grant in "Rear Window", instead of James Stewart.

I mean, Stewart is a much better actor than he's given credit for these days, but casting him as a rugged, sexy, man of action would have been a stretch under any circumstances, but casting him as a rugged, sexy, man of action who's laid up with a broken leg? We don't see any of the action, what we see is a gray-haired, skinny-fat man who's getting too old to ;even dream of action, looking soft and defeated in his PJs. But imagine if tanned, fit, charming, sexy Cary Grant had played the same role?

Instead of Stewart looking broken, we'd have a fit man who still had enough looks, muscles, and charm to interest a Grace Kelly, even if he was rather older, plus he'd have brought a sense of physical energy, restlessness, and frustration to the role that Stewart tried for but couldn't achieve. It'd have been a rather different film with Grant, quite possibly a better one...

by Anonymousreply 113July 23, 2022 4:20 PM

I love Gene Kelly to pieces but he doesn’t have the range.

by Anonymousreply 114July 23, 2022 4:34 PM

R113 I think that you’re in the wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2022 7:25 PM

Posters here seem to be forgetting the incredible innovations Gene Kelly brought to film musicals including Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris and On the Town, to name only 3.

by Anonymousreply 116July 23, 2022 7:44 PM

xanadu!

by Anonymousreply 117July 23, 2022 7:53 PM

[quote] His sexiness is overrated. His ass looks like it smells.

You are quite the retard.

by Anonymousreply 118July 23, 2022 8:05 PM

So many miserable bitter humorless cutting trolls these days.

by Anonymousreply 119July 23, 2022 8:08 PM

I'm related. The Kelly men can be ... intense.

by Anonymousreply 120July 23, 2022 8:45 PM

Have we come to a unanimous conclusion on who should be cast as Kelly in a biopic?

by Anonymousreply 121July 23, 2022 9:05 PM

a trans person of colour

by Anonymousreply 122July 23, 2022 9:06 PM

Gene Nelson didn't have good proportions for a dancer: too tall.

by Anonymousreply 123July 23, 2022 9:29 PM

Gene Nelson was Warner's answer to...George Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 124July 23, 2022 10:11 PM

Gene Nelson fucked everyone. That pool cunt mentioned upthread got around, too.

by Anonymousreply 125July 23, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote] Have we come to a unanimous conclusion on who should be cast as Kelly in a biopic?

I vote for a handsome, gay, Italian model.

The right face but perhaps too tall and I don't know if he can dance.

I'm not sure of the spelling but its something like Thiago Lazzaretto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 23, 2022 10:19 PM

Ryan Gosling can play Gene in a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 127July 23, 2022 10:28 PM

Gosling has a skinny, long nose and NO body.

by Anonymousreply 128July 23, 2022 10:37 PM

Ryan Gosling can play Edward Everett Horton in a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 129July 23, 2022 10:38 PM

Gene Nelson also ice skated with Sonja Henie and was a superb gymnast. He had very good chemistry with Doris Day (and Gordon MacRae) over at Warners and with Jane Powell (who he almost divorced his wife to marry). Plus he's great in "Oklahoma!" opposite DL fave Gloria Grahame.

by Anonymousreply 130July 23, 2022 10:41 PM

R129 That sounds amusing.

by Anonymousreply 131July 23, 2022 10:42 PM

Gene Nelson may have been a major talent but he just didn't have the star presence, the charisma that Kelly had in spades.

by Anonymousreply 132July 23, 2022 10:45 PM

Nelson was really starting to come along in films by the 1950s and the studio system was on the way out. His films weren't built around him as much as Kelly's, who had attained director's cred over at MGM, were. Kelly also cut famous choreographer MIchael Kidd's solo song from "It's Always Fair Weather", possibly not wanting to hear comparisons to himself, but he apparently didn't fear competition from Dan Dailey -- whose number is kind of mediocre in that film. Nelson built a solid career at a movie and tv director, writer and came back to original Buddy in FOLLIES. Very nice, incredibly talented guy from what I've heard and seen in interviews of him.

by Anonymousreply 133July 23, 2022 10:51 PM

R38 Those buttocks can't equal these boobies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 23, 2022 10:58 PM

Gene Nelson was as good a dancer, a better singer, and definitely the better actor. But Nelson didn't have the drive that Kelly had, nor the luck to land at a powerful studio that understood him. But Nelson really was amazingly athletic -- watch one of his clips (below).

The other difference is that Nelson was considered a truly nice guy by everyone. That probably was enough to end his career right there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 23, 2022 11:12 PM

[quote]Ryan Gosling can play Gene in a biopic.

Never in a million.

by Anonymousreply 136July 23, 2022 11:23 PM

Henry Cavil could.

by Anonymousreply 137July 23, 2022 11:31 PM

Ryan Gosling was great in La La Land and he'd be great in a Gene Kelly biopic.

by Anonymousreply 138July 23, 2022 11:34 PM

Ryan doesn’t have the looks or the ass.

by Anonymousreply 139July 23, 2022 11:39 PM

[R113] I think Vertigo would actually be the classic so many fanboys want it to be if Grant had been cast instead of sexless Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 140July 23, 2022 11:41 PM

Gene Nelson didn't have matinee idol looks. Can we get back to Gene Kelly. Would the Gene Nelson Stans please join the Capucine and Liv Ullmann Stans in the Nobody Cares Blue Waiting Room? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 141July 23, 2022 11:48 PM

Gene Nelson’s IMDB page is a very interesting read. He worked with so many talented people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 23, 2022 11:50 PM

Gene Nelson needs his own thread.

by Anonymousreply 143July 23, 2022 11:55 PM

He seems to be doing fine here

by Anonymousreply 144July 24, 2022 12:16 AM

What's the issue with Gene's last wife? She seems nice from all the interviews she does for the DVD/Blu-Ray special editions. It's only natural she wants to preserve Kelly's image and film catalogue.

by Anonymousreply 145July 24, 2022 12:41 AM

This is a Gene Kelly thread people. Talk about other substandard actors/dancers elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 146July 24, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote]Gene Nelson was as good a dancer, a better singer, and definitely the better actor.

Had the talent but did not have the looks. Did not pop out of the screen.

The camera LOVED Gene Kelly. Kelly had animal magnetism

There are always better singers, better actors, blah blah....it doesn't matter if there's not that certain something that makes a star. Kelly had IT.

by Anonymousreply 147July 24, 2022 1:27 AM

Wonderful tune

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 24, 2022 1:29 AM

That clip of Gene Nelson singing (though I think he's actually dubbed) and dancing to Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart at r135 is dull, dull, DULL. Technically proficient, perhaps, but only proves why he never became a top star. I also thought he was the weak link in Follies on Broadway.

Gene Kelly oozed charisma.

by Anonymousreply 149July 24, 2022 1:35 AM

Gene Kelly's career was dead after the 1960s. I helped him revive it, briefly.

by Anonymousreply 150July 24, 2022 1:37 AM

As some here will know, Gene Kelly became a Broadway star playing the title role in Pal Joey in 1940. He was then snapped up by MGM and I believe they held the film rights to Pal Joey but dawdled about making the film, perhaps because the hero was too unsympathetic. But I would have thought thought that Kelly would have had enough power at MGM by the early 50s to finally get it made...but maybe even he didn't want to play an anti-hero by then. Which is a shame because the film that was eventually made with Sinatra in 1957 was lousy.

by Anonymousreply 151July 24, 2022 1:45 AM

Enjoy!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 24, 2022 1:53 AM

I can forgive him for this alone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 24, 2022 1:53 AM

He plays a dramatic role in "Christmas Holiday", which is really a misleading title for a film noir with a few songs, opposite Deanna Durbin, in a role that suggests the kind of heel Pal Joey was.

by Anonymousreply 154July 24, 2022 1:58 AM

R145, She gives Kelly the credit for EVERYTHING in his films. HE directed his movie -- Donen just ran the camera (which was nonsense), it was HIS idea to do this, not someone else, etc., etc.. In other words, he was a saint, everyone else is a liar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 24, 2022 4:01 AM

R105, Eleanor Holm did make one movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 24, 2022 4:14 AM

The greatest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 24, 2022 4:39 AM

(The Thiago Lazzaretto troll is as obsessed as the Gene Nelson troll)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 24, 2022 6:53 AM

He had smelly underarm pits.

by Anonymousreply 159July 24, 2022 7:41 AM

I’m sorry, I started this thread out of boredom. I didn’t think it’d last this long. I don’t know if Gene was a bastard but he sounded like he could be an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 160July 24, 2022 7:41 AM

He had toe fungus.

by Anonymousreply 161July 24, 2022 9:06 AM

[quote]Ryan doesn’t have the looks or the ass.

We had a thread about trying to cast Gene Kelly in a biopic, and no one had the ass. His ass was otherworldly.

by Anonymousreply 162July 24, 2022 9:44 AM

Agree with r113 and r140 and also wish Stewart had been played by anyone else in "Rope." James Mason would have been very good, as would have Cary Grant, though probably a little too flippant. I could even see Joseph Cotten in the role. Stewart just could not pull off the finale.

by Anonymousreply 163July 24, 2022 9:46 AM

The cute actor on the Tovala commercial can play Gene Kelly - he looks exactly like him! And no I'm not gonna screen shot him for you...look it up.

by Anonymousreply 164July 24, 2022 9:51 AM

He sounds more like a man who had a drive to succeed that was on overdrive, and pushed everyone around him to work as hard as he did, and expected nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 165July 24, 2022 9:56 AM

This Gene was even better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 24, 2022 2:43 PM

Debra Reynolds did nothing but whine about him for years but nothing she ever did topped her performance in "Singing in the Rain".

And that was all because of Kelly's perfectionism.

by Anonymousreply 167July 24, 2022 2:52 PM

Streisand told Peter Bogdanovich that Kelly had no idea what he was doing on the set of Hello Dolly, and that she had to direct all of her own scenes herself.

by Anonymousreply 168July 24, 2022 4:15 PM

Gene Kelly looked the way he did in The Pirate because Vincent Minnelli was in love with him and it was a huge reason why his marriage to Judy Garland broke up.

by Anonymousreply 169July 24, 2022 4:37 PM

I love the Gene Nelson troll. Nelson is a perfect example of someone with talent who totally lacks film presence.

by Anonymousreply 170July 24, 2022 4:38 PM

Was Jane Powell having her notorious affair with Gene Nelson when SINGIN' IN THE RAIN was cast? Perhaps that's why Gene Kelly didn't want her for Kathy Selden.

by Anonymousreply 171July 24, 2022 4:42 PM

He would have been a better Dick Avery in FUNNY FACE than Fred Astaire. Even though he was seventeen years older than Audrey Hepburn. But Fred was THIRTY YEARS OLDER.

by Anonymousreply 172July 24, 2022 6:19 PM

Gene Kelly, with his beautiful, large, expressive eyes, his chiseled jaw with a cleft chin was facially perfect - and that's not even taking his ass and rest of his physique into consideration! No wonder the camera loved him.

by Anonymousreply 173July 24, 2022 7:03 PM

r53: "That's Dancing" used clips from other studios, including Warner Bros.

by Anonymousreply 174July 24, 2022 7:28 PM

Kelly was one hot number in his younger years. Just look at those glutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 24, 2022 7:48 PM

Gene Nelson had a great furry chest. He's very good in CRIME WAVE (1954)

Gene Kelly fucked Larry Hart to win the lead of PAL JOEY on Broadway.

Columbia owned the rights, and after COVER GIRL wanted to re-team Kelly and Rita Hayworth in the PAL JOEY film, but Harry Cohn would not loan Rita to MGM in exchange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 24, 2022 7:54 PM

^^^That could explain Gene’s homophobia.

He supposedly told Tommy Tune that he should change his name. “Too theatrical!”, he allegedly told Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 177July 24, 2022 8:01 PM

R163, No way Joseph Cotten would've starred in Rope. He was a NOTORIOUS homophobe...

by Anonymousreply 178July 24, 2022 8:12 PM

What other men did Kelly fuck?

by Anonymousreply 179July 24, 2022 8:13 PM

Why did Judy marry three homosexuals?

by Anonymousreply 180July 24, 2022 8:14 PM

Carleton Carpenter also spoke publicly of how Gene Kelly disliked him and kept him out of sharing scenes in SUMMER STOCK. But, of course, CC was a foot taller than GK.

by Anonymousreply 181July 24, 2022 8:32 PM

Patricia Ward Kelly is a lying dyke. She claims in her tribute show that when she met him working at the Smithsonian, she had no idea who he was. Yeah, right. They gradually fell in love, and she was SHOCKED to find out who he was.

by Anonymousreply 182July 24, 2022 9:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 24, 2022 9:21 PM

Yup, she'd never heard of him, but why would a lesbian be interested in his films from 20-30 years earlier? She wasn't interested in musicals AT ALL, but now she's an "authority".

Not.

by Anonymousreply 184July 24, 2022 9:30 PM

R184, she's not stupid and had plenty of time to do research.

by Anonymousreply 185July 24, 2022 9:53 PM

Gene Nelson loved dogs and was a dog owner, mostly of multiple dogs, his entire life.

by Anonymousreply 186July 24, 2022 9:58 PM

R179 Stanley Donen? Although Gene married Stanley’s wife Jeanne. Complicated shit.

by Anonymousreply 187July 24, 2022 10:51 PM

This thread is getting silly.

Donen was talented but may have had three beard-wives.

by Anonymousreply 188July 24, 2022 10:56 PM

Donen had been living with and fucking Elaine May in his final decade. Was Elaine bearding, too, r188?

by Anonymousreply 189July 24, 2022 11:03 PM

R189 Honey, when people are THAT old they just want a platonic companion 99% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 190July 24, 2022 11:07 PM

R189 Living with someone is NOT the same as fornicating with them.

Fornicating at that age is for the birds.

by Anonymousreply 191July 24, 2022 11:09 PM

I'd love to see you tell that to Elaine May, r191!

by Anonymousreply 192July 24, 2022 11:20 PM

[quote]R180 Why did Judy marry three homosexuals?

She was high af

by Anonymousreply 193July 24, 2022 11:28 PM

Closet queen Mike Nichols is a GREAT authority on this kind of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 194July 25, 2022 12:13 AM

R178, Rope didn't exactly present gays in the best light, so Cotten might have been down for it.

by Anonymousreply 195July 25, 2022 8:24 AM

The scene in SINS in which Gene Kelly and Joan Collins contemplate having a child is hilarious.

Susie Lee had nothing good to say about him. Disliked by most she said.

by Anonymousreply 196July 25, 2022 8:53 AM

R161 It can be cured with Lamisil spray and the passing of six months.

by Anonymousreply 197July 25, 2022 9:02 AM

I miss Susie Lee and her posts. The height of DL brilliance. I hope she's happy and thriving somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 198July 25, 2022 1:18 PM

Did anyone catch It's Always Fair Weather yesterday on TCM? It's actually quite a good film with a lot going for it. However Michael Kidd and Dan Dailey are absolutely charmless and Kelly looks like he aged a lot. Still, Gene and Cyd have great chemistry and they even make their lack of a love duet work (their one fun number together, Love Is Nothing But A Racket, was deleted.)

The one really awful, jaw-dropping moment is Kelly's decision to literally have an entire studio lot street of extras burst into applause as he finishes the number. How much adoration did he need?

Ironically a musical of Tom Sawyer was ready to go when Gene blew off the studio; he absolutely regretted it in later years, because once the stardom was over for him.....wow was it over.

by Anonymousreply 199July 26, 2022 3:44 AM

[quote]because once the stardom was over for him.....wow was it over.

In 1962 he wound up doing a dreadful TV series that lasted a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 26, 2022 3:53 AM

He never did a thing for me, despite the great ass. Too hammy.

by Anonymousreply 201July 26, 2022 4:35 AM

[quote] He never did a thing for me

The marvellous Kay Kendall didn't like him either when they first met. . . but now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 26, 2022 4:44 AM

^ Look how cleverly George Cukor manoeuvres the big Cinemascope camera around the two performers with all their complex hand movements on this very small stage set.

by Anonymousreply 203July 26, 2022 4:50 AM

Dolores Gray is fabulous in "It's Always Fair Weather". What a voice! Plus she was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 204July 26, 2022 6:23 AM

Gene Kelly came across as essentially cold.

by Anonymousreply 205July 26, 2022 6:25 AM

Gene was viscerally cold.

by Anonymousreply 206July 26, 2022 6:27 AM

Yeah, Gene Kelly was hot and then he was not. He wasn't able to have a late resurgence like Fred Astaire who was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for The Towering Inferno.

Xanadu was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 207July 26, 2022 6:32 AM

Hello Dolly was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 208July 26, 2022 6:34 AM

[quote]r206 Gene was viscerally cold.

Viciously and viscously cold.

by Anonymousreply 209July 26, 2022 6:34 AM

Fred wasn't much of an actor in his non-musicals, but Kelly was worse. He tended to get very hammy, as in "Christmas Holiday" and "Inherit the Wind." But I love him in the musicals: he was magic.

by Anonymousreply 210July 26, 2022 6:37 AM

When he dances with Donald O'Connor, O'Connor is superb doing all the moves and enjoying himself dancing, while Kelly, equally fine in his dancing, is smiling in an almost mugging way trying to steal focus.

by Anonymousreply 211July 26, 2022 6:46 AM

He was short— which is OK if you're dancing with pygmies like Leslie Caron.

But Cukor at R202 carefully disguises his shortcomings when playing opposite the slenderly statuesque Kay Kendall.

by Anonymousreply 212July 26, 2022 6:46 AM

Gene Nelson was a perfect actor and dancer.

by Anonymousreply 213July 26, 2022 6:48 AM

People might not remember, but it was O'Connor who won the Golden Glove for Best Actor in a Musical for"Sinigin' in the Rain" that year. That was years before Pia Zadora.

by Anonymousreply 214July 26, 2022 6:48 AM

Golden Globe

by Anonymousreply 215July 26, 2022 6:48 AM

I like Kelly in "Inherit the Wind" because he is thoroughly unlikeable, and I think that must have been hard for him to do, after spending so much of his life wanting to be adored. There are some clunky scenes, but overall he's pretty good. He must have made a lot of people mad to not get a chance at a comeback after that performance.

by Anonymousreply 216July 26, 2022 6:50 AM

Why is everyone looking for an actor to play a dancer?

Why is everyone looking for a blonde scandi type to play an Irish that could have been mistaken for an Italian?

by Anonymousreply 217July 26, 2022 6:59 AM

I wish Gene Kelly were still alive, to get monkey pox.

Maybe that would wipe the smirk off his face.

by Anonymousreply 218July 26, 2022 7:03 AM

He played a murderous louse in "Christmas Holiday" (1944), so I think he was trying not to be typecast from early on in his career. I admire the impulse, but not the results...

by Anonymousreply 219July 26, 2022 7:11 AM

Stick the cloves in that ham- he's done.

by Anonymousreply 220July 26, 2022 8:08 AM

R39...I never heard of him. Wow....that video, what a talent. It's a shame he wasn't better known.

by Anonymousreply 221July 26, 2022 8:09 AM

Gene was miscast in MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR. He was forty-seven; his character was thirty-three. Natalie Wood was twenty-one. It still was a good film.

by Anonymousreply 222July 26, 2022 10:55 AM

I enjoyed the Suzie Lee threads as well. I should say though that she posted pics of herself that were clearly (to me at least) of British model/actress Fiona Campbell. This may be the real identity of Suzie Lee. Perhaps. Or maybe she was just having a bit of fun.

by Anonymousreply 223July 26, 2022 11:12 AM

I'm sure he and Crawford fucked.

by Anonymousreply 224July 26, 2022 11:14 AM

Patricia Ward Kelly is the epitome of a soft butch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 26, 2022 11:17 AM

It was inevitable.....

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226July 26, 2022 12:18 PM

R219 Studios kind of owned you until the studio system collapsed. Unless you wanted to go on suspension, you pretty much took what the studios offered you. After Kelly was loaned out to do "Cover Girl", he had the opportunity to choreograph some of his numbers, and being inventive for the time and the film a success, he got more agency back at his home studio MGM. "Christmas Holiday" did have him playing a tough mug, something along the lines of "Pal Joey" -- interesting that there's one point where there's one scene with dancing where he could have conceivably danced, but they didn't have him dancing for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 227July 26, 2022 5:07 PM

R227, Cover Girl is the perfect example where the widow Kelly would argue that everything in that film was due to Kelly's Gene-ious.

Not. It was Stanley Donen who conceived and directed the 'Alter Ego' number in the picture, just like it was his idea (and weeks of hard work) putting together the dance w/Jerry the mouse in Anchor's Aweigh the following year.

by Anonymousreply 228July 26, 2022 7:22 PM

Stanley Donen had 1.5 good ideas that he flogged for his entire career. It’s insulting to mention him in a Gene Reynolds thread.

by Anonymousreply 229July 26, 2022 7:27 PM

This isn't a Gene Reynolds thread. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 230July 26, 2022 7:28 PM

I preferred the other Gene -- Jean Hagen.

by Anonymousreply 231July 26, 2022 7:34 PM

I think Stanley Donen is an incredibly underrated director. I don’t think he even made the 2019 Oscars In Memoriam! He made a lot of very good to excellent films: On the Town, Singin’ in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Funny Face, Indiscreet, The Grass is Greener, Charade, Two for the Road. Even some of his lesser works have their charms: Royal Wedding, It’s Always Fair Weather, The Pajama Game. It all went to shit after 1967 though.

by Anonymousreply 232July 26, 2022 7:53 PM

Who is Gene Reynolds? LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 233July 26, 2022 8:26 PM

Surely he means Gene Rayburn.

by Anonymousreply 234July 26, 2022 8:54 PM

Stanley Donen turned down HELLO, DOLLY!

by Anonymousreply 235July 26, 2022 9:28 PM

Gene Kelly's butt has its own tumblr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236July 26, 2022 9:43 PM

That shirtless photo of Gene is a rarity -- don't think I'd seen him shirtless before. Very nice, and would love to see more, but right now, his butt is winning.

by Anonymousreply 237July 26, 2022 10:06 PM

Gene Nelson had a better ass. So did Gene Reynolds for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 238July 26, 2022 10:16 PM

What about Gene Rayburn?

by Anonymousreply 239July 26, 2022 10:50 PM

Gene Nelson also had really nice toned arms. What an incredible gymnast as well!

by Anonymousreply 240July 27, 2022 1:33 AM

I think Gene Rayburn was compensating with that very long microphone he used on "Match Game"

by Anonymousreply 241July 27, 2022 1:35 AM

You guys are saying Gene Kelly was too much of a ham and mugged for the camera? Well, check out Donald O'Connor in this. JFC - a wonderful dancer but stop with the mugging!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 27, 2022 1:38 AM

Gene Kelly was very handsome but in no way did he have "large" eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 27, 2022 1:40 AM

"Moses Supposes" is supposed to be kinda over the top. Check out "Fit as a Fiddle" towards the beginning of the film or "Good Morning" with Debbie.

by Anonymousreply 244July 27, 2022 1:50 AM

Gene Nelson could jump much higher than the other guy and also was able to do much more elaborate lifts. Also an excellent home cook.

by Anonymousreply 245July 27, 2022 1:51 AM

And he was fug. But do carry on.

by Anonymousreply 246July 27, 2022 1:53 AM

Gene Nelson was very attractive -- he almost married Jane Powell, and he also danced with Doris Day. He mastered all different types of gymnastic equipment and clearly was more athletic than Gene Kelly, plus he was an accomplished figure skater who skated with Olympic champ and movie star (and Liberace's "fiancee", hehe), Sonja Henie. Plus Nelson had a really nice singing voice and acted very well; he's quite good in that film noir mentioned above. He also was one of the stars of the movie "Oklahoma!", probably his best known movie role. And he starred on Broadway as Buddy in "Follies". Gene Kelly never appeared on Broadway as a performer after "Pal Joey".

by Anonymousreply 247July 27, 2022 1:59 AM

Shut up about Gene Nelson and every other person named Gene aside from Gene Kelly already. No one cares about those lackluster "stars."

by Anonymousreply 248July 27, 2022 2:02 AM

R247 OMG SHAT UP YOU RIDICULOUS STAN!!!!!!! You do this EVERY FUCKING TIME.

by Anonymousreply 249July 27, 2022 2:03 AM

That's really interesting, R247. Thank you for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 250July 27, 2022 2:04 AM

No it isn't "interesting," R250. Not in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 251July 27, 2022 2:05 AM

He had a wonderful career, including a CMAA nomination in 1989!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252July 27, 2022 2:06 AM

NO ONE CARES, R252.

by Anonymousreply 253July 27, 2022 2:08 AM

For the love of god you Nelson Stans are purposefully TROLLING. FUCK OFF.

by Anonymousreply 254July 27, 2022 2:09 AM

I like this Nelson number from "Painting the Clouds With Sunshine" - exciting use of lighting in luscious Technicolor. Would have loved to have seen him choreographed by Jack Cole.

He partnered Sonja Heine on ice in her two 1939 films , "Everything Happens at Night" and "Second Fiddle". A very varied and interesting career.

I like Gene Kelly, but I'm more intrigued by Nelson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255July 27, 2022 3:04 AM

Lovely clip, r255. Thank you for sharing!!!

by Anonymousreply 256July 27, 2022 3:18 AM

Move it along, toots, R255!

You too, R256.

by Anonymousreply 257July 27, 2022 4:05 AM

Get a room, you two Stans. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 258July 27, 2022 4:11 AM

R258, "stans" is lowercase. It's not a proper noun, though it is derived from a nickname. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 259July 27, 2022 4:24 AM

Another overrated, midget bitch.

by Anonymousreply 260July 27, 2022 4:31 AM

Short people dancing. Not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 261July 27, 2022 4:42 AM

This was really one of Gene Rayburn's best performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 27, 2022 9:08 AM

Fuck Gene Rayburn and thanks for ruining a thread dickwad.

by Anonymousreply 263July 27, 2022 9:40 AM

Thread drift on DL can often be fun on threads like these. Unclench, Brett.

by Anonymousreply 264July 27, 2022 10:07 AM

Gene Rayburn replaced Dick Van Dyke in the original Broadway production of Bye Bye Birdie.

by Anonymousreply 265July 27, 2022 3:48 PM

Gene Nelson was shown in local galleries after becoming a watercolorist late in life. I managed to nab one of his paintings and it’s in my mud room.

by Anonymousreply 266July 27, 2022 5:00 PM

It’s so strange to think that Brett Somers was a member of the famed Actors Studio.

And the mother of Suzanne Somers!

by Anonymousreply 267July 27, 2022 5:41 PM

Bret Somers might have, if you think about it, made kind of an interesting Vera Simpson in "Pal Joey", getting back to Gene Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 268July 27, 2022 7:11 PM

Brett, that is

by Anonymousreply 269July 27, 2022 7:12 PM

Charles Nelson Reilly could have been a fine Ludlow Lowell, too in that show.

by Anonymousreply 270July 27, 2022 7:13 PM

R155 Who is that lantern-jawed man? And I don’t mean the one with the toupe…

by Anonymousreply 271July 27, 2022 8:53 PM

There was even an episode of Match Game where the puzzle was "Gene _______", and Kelly was one of the answers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 28, 2022 12:30 AM

“Nelson” was the #1 answer.

by Anonymousreply 273July 28, 2022 12:37 AM

I prefer Ozzie Nelson he blessed us with the dreamy Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 274July 28, 2022 12:39 AM

I prefer Nelson, the music duo (Ricky's twin boys).

by Anonymousreply 275July 28, 2022 2:07 AM

Kelly was shirtless, on a bed, in The Three Musketeers.

by Anonymousreply 276July 28, 2022 3:19 AM

So he was a perfectionist and had to work with Reynolds, an untested newcomer and he had to make her look good on screen. That would take a lot of work.

by Anonymousreply 277July 28, 2022 3:33 AM

Kelly's last wife has a severe case of lesbian jawline, and her pings can be detected from outer space!

by Anonymousreply 278July 28, 2022 12:53 PM

The GN troll and Jane Powell must have been the only people ever who were hot for GN.

by Anonymousreply 279July 29, 2022 1:54 AM

Astaire was really pissed when both June and Judy were dropped from A Royal Wedding and he ended up with third tier Jane Powell. Then he discovered that she had been discovered as a dancer, for which she had been trained since childhood, and he was thrilled with her abilities. He never had anything but great things to say about her although they never paired again.

by Anonymousreply 280July 29, 2022 2:20 AM

Fred was so much older than most of his leading ladies. And it showed.

by Anonymousreply 281July 29, 2022 2:21 AM

R281

by Anonymousreply 282July 29, 2022 2:56 AM

Fred was perfection. An astounding, unique human being

by Anonymousreply 283July 29, 2022 3:14 AM

Jane Powell was the third choice, not a third tier talent. Vehicles were made for her, and most were in color. But you're right -- she did train as a kid as a dancer, maybe even before she started singing lessons. She really was able to do complicated choreography not only opposite Astaire in "Royal Wedding" but in other films, tv appearances, etc. I'm glad he appreciated that she could deliver the type of performance he wanted in her dancing. They must have rewritten the script of "Royal Wedding" when Powell came aboard, as she was about 21 years younger than Astaire. So they made it about her as his younger sister and made it more about Fred and Adele Astaire, with Adele abandoning her theatrical career in real life when she married into the British aristocracy.

by Anonymousreply 284July 29, 2022 4:49 AM

When I was growing up I lived in Johnstown, PA. My Aunt took me to see the annual recital of the Gene Kelly School of Dance, It was fantastic. Gene and brothers ran this. I am not sure if his parents were involved. The main studio was in Pittsburgh. Gene attended University of Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 285July 29, 2022 6:05 AM

R284, Powell was 30 years younger than Astaire. But yes, a great, underrated dancer. She danced better than she sang IMO...

by Anonymousreply 286July 29, 2022 7:20 AM

When i referred to Powell as "third tier" I was referring to her box office status at the time, not her talent or abilities, which were superb. But she definitely wasn't A List at the time of Royal Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 287July 29, 2022 11:38 AM

I don't thik they changed the plot, r284. I think it was always supposed to be his sister.

by Anonymousreply 288July 29, 2022 11:38 AM

Joan Crawford called Jane Powell “that screeching thing”.

by Anonymousreply 289July 29, 2022 12:52 PM

Powell had a fine voice -- Kathryn Grayson was a screechy peachy.

by Anonymousreply 290July 29, 2022 4:27 PM

I've never been able to watch "Singin' In The Rain" all the way through. The romance between Kelly and Debbie Reynolds makes me want to vomit, and not because he was so much older, although that is kind of gross. I just thought the two of them were an unbearable screen couple. I like Lina Lamont a whole lot better than those two.

by Anonymousreply 291July 30, 2022 4:18 AM

I thought it was way too corny when I saw it in my 20s, but just saw it again and absolutely loved it.

by Anonymousreply 292July 30, 2022 4:34 AM

Used to watch SITR all the time as a kid and I never realized there was an age gap. Ofc, now with Blu-ray you can see Gene's fine lines.

by Anonymousreply 293August 1, 2022 12:06 AM

R284, try thirty years older than Jane.

by Anonymousreply 294August 2, 2022 5:37 PM

[quote] I was glad when Margulies left, I didn't like her from day one. Still don't.

I never understood why she was a popular character. I didn't seem anything particularly appealing about Carol Hathaway. And I didn't understand why men were always falling in love with her like she was the most desirable woman in the world. Tag, Shep, Luca and of course Doug....all were smitten by her. I especially hated the scene where she tells Luca (he has immediately fallen hopeless in love with her) she can't have dinner with him because she has to go to her "soulmate" Doug Ross, telling Luca "I'm so sorry." Yes, she's SO sorry she's breaking his heart in two by choosing Doug over him. What an egotistical cunt!

by Anonymousreply 295August 3, 2022 3:20 AM

I think you're lost, R295.

by Anonymousreply 296August 3, 2022 3:30 AM

R295 you're lost but I can't stand Julianna Margulies/Carol Hathaway either.

by Anonymousreply 297August 4, 2022 3:14 AM

R214 R215

I almost prefer Golden Glove...

by Anonymousreply 298August 9, 2022 2:58 PM

I was just watching COVER GIRL and noticed Gene Kelly has a deep scar on the left side of his face.

It’s quite disgusting, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299August 11, 2022 4:24 AM

I scratched him when he tried to force me to lick his celebrate buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 300August 11, 2022 4:27 AM

I didn’t know he was so hot

by Anonymousreply 301August 11, 2022 4:37 AM

He's always had that scar in the movies, from an accident when he was young. Shirley MacLaine thought that was the sexiest feature of his.

by Anonymousreply 302August 11, 2022 6:42 AM

He hated Barbra, I'll always love him for that.

by Anonymousreply 303August 11, 2022 7:15 AM

^ It was mutual

by Anonymousreply 304August 11, 2022 1:41 PM

It was mentioned in Scotty Bowers' book how Gene Kelly used to drop trou on the set during filming and whirl his cock around.

by Anonymousreply 305August 11, 2022 3:23 PM

Gene Reynolds had a beautiful unmarred face.

by Anonymousreply 306August 11, 2022 3:26 PM

No it wasn't R305.

by Anonymousreply 307August 11, 2022 3:48 PM

Gene Kelly is the Antichrist.

We all know it.

by Anonymousreply 308August 11, 2022 5:27 PM

My friend, now a lady in her 90s, was an usher at the Uris/Gershwin, and Gene Kelly was once in the audience. I forget if she helped seat him, but she got a little starstruck at him, and found herself looking at him a few times from her station. He caught her looking at him, and after the show, as he was exiting, he turned around and stuck his tongue out at her. Kind of rude, but my friend laughed at she was telling the story. He was being kind of a jerk -- she didn't accost him, and he was out in public. She said he was bald, too.

by Anonymousreply 309August 11, 2022 5:41 PM

R305, I read Scotty Bowers' book twice and didn't see that mention of Gene Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 310August 11, 2022 5:45 PM

R223, Suzie Lee was Susan Kasznar. She was the daughter of Kurt Kasznar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311August 11, 2022 7:24 PM

R311, Kurt Kasznar had no children.

by Anonymousreply 312August 11, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote] Gene Kelly has a deep scar on the left side of his face. It’s quite disgusting, really.

It’s just a scar, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 313August 12, 2022 12:21 AM

Gene Nelson had several scars.

by Anonymousreply 314August 12, 2022 12:37 AM

I'd be mortified to go through life with sort of disfigurement.

by Anonymousreply 315August 12, 2022 12:37 AM

Merle Oberon had heavy pockmarks from a childhood illness. She had to be heavily made up and carefully lit.

by Anonymousreply 316August 12, 2022 12:40 AM

She actually got her scars from a car accident and later cosmetic poisoning r316. Film makeup back then was loaded with toxic chemicals and she used the shit that made her look whiter onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 317August 12, 2022 1:25 AM

Gene Nelson was loaded with toxic chemicals

by Anonymousreply 318August 12, 2022 1:31 AM

[quote] Yeah, we get it. You're triggered.

Yeah, I get it. You love whiny, self pitying celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 319August 12, 2022 1:38 AM

I hate r318.

by Anonymousreply 320August 12, 2022 1:41 AM

I fell in love with him while watching Singin' in the Rain as a kid. My first boyfriend even looked a bit like him.

by Anonymousreply 321August 12, 2022 1:54 AM

R318 Gene Nelson is a nuisance.

He hangs around like a bad smell.

by Anonymousreply 322August 12, 2022 3:02 AM

Can we please kick Gene Nelson's ass outta this thread?!

by Anonymousreply 323August 12, 2022 4:30 AM

He looks exhausting, like a key-jangling, High NRG bore.

by Anonymousreply 324August 12, 2022 4:52 AM

He seemed insecure off in interviews. Who cares ultimately. He was showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 325August 12, 2022 4:55 AM

Gene Nelson is such an interesting actor and performer.

by Anonymousreply 326August 12, 2022 5:05 AM

Gene Nelson for Senate.

by Anonymousreply 327August 12, 2022 5:07 AM

Gene Kelly would never have led Jane Powell down the garden path.

by Anonymousreply 328August 12, 2022 5:36 AM

I wonder how Gene Kelly would have been in FOLLIES?

by Anonymousreply 329August 12, 2022 5:42 AM

Gene wanted to appear in Follies but Gary talked him out of it.

by Anonymousreply 330August 12, 2022 11:31 AM

Gene Nelson turned down Follies as he didn’t think the script and choreography were worthy of his talents.

by Anonymousreply 331August 12, 2022 3:47 PM

Fuck this Gene Nelson troll.

by Anonymousreply 332August 12, 2022 3:48 PM

No he didn't R331.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333August 14, 2022 8:24 AM

[quote]I wonder how Gene Kelly would have been in FOLLIES?

It was offered. He turned it down. That's how they ended up with Gene Nelson.

He also turned down both the stage and film versions of The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 334August 14, 2022 9:10 AM

Gene Kelly turned down Follies because he had something called standards!

by Anonymousreply 335August 14, 2022 2:20 PM

Lucky for Follies

by Anonymousreply 336August 14, 2022 4:36 PM

Yeah, with Kelly in it, it might have actually made its money back.

by Anonymousreply 337August 14, 2022 4:39 PM

R305 Yes, but It wasn't Scotty Bowers' book. It was mentioned elsewhere by Debbie Reynolds that he used to have "whirlybird" contests on set with crew members.

by Anonymousreply 338August 14, 2022 4:41 PM

Kelly was box office poison for the majority of his career, though because he was part of an ensemble cast of a few classics his potent box office poison is forgotten.

Nelson, meanwhile, had hit after hit after hit after hit after hit.

by Anonymousreply 339August 14, 2022 4:49 PM

Gene Kelly had in 1967 already been dubbed for his singing in "The Young Girls of Rochefort", so who knows what kind of vocal estate he was in by 1971 for "Follies" live on stage. Gene Nelson had a better singing voice anyway.

by Anonymousreply 340August 14, 2022 4:56 PM

If the matinee ladies came out to see Debbie Fucking Reynolds in Irene, they'd certainly come out to see Kelly in anything.

by Anonymousreply 341August 14, 2022 5:01 PM

and they'd be holding their ears whenever he sang. But still marveling, most likely, at his butt when he turned around.

by Anonymousreply 342August 14, 2022 5:04 PM

Both Debbie Reynolds and Jane Powell were terrific in "Irene".

by Anonymousreply 343August 14, 2022 5:05 PM

The states with the worst tap water. Blue states are well represented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344August 14, 2022 5:14 PM

Oooops!

by Anonymousreply 345August 14, 2022 5:14 PM

Gene Nelson’s properties had excellent water. He had an amateur interest in hydrology and hired experts to retrofit the plumbing with state-of-the-art filtration.

by Anonymousreply 346August 14, 2022 5:19 PM

MURIEL!!! Please ban any and all posts about Gene Nelson from this thread, especially stupid R346 and his insane ramblings!!

by Anonymousreply 347August 14, 2022 6:03 PM

Pipe down, Mrs. Kelly. You still probably get some royalties.

by Anonymousreply 348August 14, 2022 7:25 PM

The Gene Nelson troll is as persistent as The Martita Hunt Troll.

by Anonymousreply 349August 14, 2022 11:17 PM

I just saw Invitation to the Dance for the first time and was impressed with his performance as a clown.

by Anonymousreply 350August 15, 2022 12:21 AM

Kelly and John Huston 'went on a toot'!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351August 15, 2022 12:27 AM

I think Kit Harrington could play Gene Kelly really well in a biopic. But I don't know if he can dance.

by Anonymousreply 352August 26, 2022 6:32 AM

He apparently hated Malcom McDowell because of A Clockwork Orange, at least that's what Malcom implied in the DVD commentary. Met Gene at a Hollywood party and apparently wouldn't shake McDowell's hand and then ignored him. His feelings were hurt

by Anonymousreply 353August 26, 2022 7:13 AM

Good for Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 354August 26, 2022 9:49 AM

Why, R353?

by Anonymousreply 355August 26, 2022 10:02 AM

Gene Kelly would have been good in Follies as Ben. You would believe he was successful, Alexis Smith would have married him AND Dorothy Collins would still love him.

Really missed opportunity there

by Anonymousreply 356August 26, 2022 11:49 AM

gene kelly, fred astaire, ginger rodgers dance on air

by Anonymousreply 357August 26, 2022 1:35 PM

He had a great ass, but he couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 358August 26, 2022 2:06 PM

R356 Kelly woudn't have sung the numbers well. He wasn't a good singer and by that time had been dubbed in the movie of "Young Girls of Rochefort".

He apparently was rude to Malcolm McDowell at a party, but if Kelly didn't like the use of "Singin' in the Rain" being sung in "A Clockwork Orange", it was director Stanley Kubrick who okayed McDowell singing it during a rape in the film.

by Anonymousreply 359August 26, 2022 4:20 PM

Gene Nelson and Stanley Kubrick were old friends. Kubrick wanted to write him into one of his 80s pictures but it never quite worked out.

by Anonymousreply 360August 26, 2022 4:22 PM

R352, he lacks Gene’s raffish good looks.

by Anonymousreply 361August 26, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]r360 Gene Nelson and Stanley Kubrick were old friends. Kubrick wanted to write him into one of his 80s pictures but it never quite worked out.

I heard that Gary talked him out of it.

by Anonymousreply 362August 26, 2022 8:01 PM

R99 wasn't his last wife half Indian? Maybe she looked totally white.

by Anonymousreply 363December 20, 2022 5:20 AM

[quote] What is this 21st century obsession with every public figure having to be some kind of role model or lovely person? Neocon bullshit, that's what it is, but this time perpetuated by so-called "liberals."

I heard Adolf Hitler was quite the master on the accordion and was the life of the party at polka events.

by Anonymousreply 364December 20, 2022 5:32 AM

R126 is too gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 365December 22, 2022 7:43 AM

So much better looking than Astaire, who resembled Jiminy Cricket.

by Anonymousreply 366December 22, 2022 4:05 PM

Jane Powell singing “Wonderful, Wonderful Day” in Seven Brides is a wonderful experience.

by Anonymousreply 367December 25, 2022 7:54 PM

Kelly had a sweet tenor singing voice

by Anonymousreply 368December 25, 2022 7:55 PM

^ a small voice.

by Anonymousreply 369December 25, 2022 9:22 PM

I always liked Kelly's voice. It wasn't a big voice with a lot of range, but it worked for the material he was given.

by Anonymousreply 370December 26, 2022 5:29 PM

He gave some adequate support to the wonderful kay Harrison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371December 26, 2022 10:57 PM

Kelly's singing? He always sounds like he has laryngitis.

by Anonymousreply 372December 26, 2022 11:43 PM

[Quote] wasn't his last wife half Indian? Maybe she looked totally white.

It's possible.

by Anonymousreply 373December 27, 2022 10:00 PM

[quote] Kelly resented not being the center of attention so he began furiously dancing about the living room

How could he dance in a living room?

A dancer needs a partner or props or something to dance with.

by Anonymousreply 374December 27, 2022 10:15 PM

Yes, r367...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375December 27, 2022 10:31 PM

Gene Kelly was also a CONNOISSEUR of cock.

by Anonymousreply 376December 27, 2022 10:38 PM

Source, r376?

by Anonymousreply 377December 27, 2022 10:41 PM

R377- I don't need sources. I figured it out by myself. The way he twirled around in those dance scenes from Singin In The Rain and other movies from that time period were NOT heterosexual- as masculine as he seemed.

by Anonymousreply 378December 27, 2022 11:21 PM

R376 is Eric Cervini. He doesn't need sources either.

by Anonymousreply 379December 27, 2022 11:26 PM

Good for you, r378...

by Anonymousreply 380December 27, 2022 11:29 PM

Is Eric Cervini the new Kevin Sessums?

by Anonymousreply 381December 28, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote] When I was growing up I lived in Johnstown, PA. My Aunt took me to see the annual recital of the Gene Kelly School of Dance, It was fantastic. Gene and brothers ran this. I am not sure if his parents were involved. The main studio was in Pittsburgh. Gene attended University of Pittsburgh.

What part of Jtown? (Just being nebby.)

I have friends who are in the Pittsburgh theater scene and I know there's now the Gene Kelly Awards, which if I'm not mistaken is a competition of high school students and musical theater. Gene's widow was behind that one.

Was never a huge fan of his films, but the man had the finest ass on earth for a time.

by Anonymousreply 382December 28, 2022 4:16 AM

Who is this idiot who asks for sources on a gossip site?

by Anonymousreply 383December 28, 2022 9:18 PM

Who is this intelligent man who thinks Datalounge seems to be infested with cretins?

by Anonymousreply 384December 28, 2022 9:29 PM

[quote] I don't need sources. I figured it out by myself.

You couldn't figure yourself out of a wet paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 385December 29, 2022 12:42 AM

Did anyone ever bother to tell Gene off? We’re people afraid of him?

by Anonymousreply 386December 29, 2022 2:56 PM

true

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387January 5, 2024 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!