Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The MIA fARROW monthly thread

I've noticed that young folks who know who Mia is, are surprised to discover that she was once a very big name, and considered a beauty. At best, only know her somehow as Woody Allen frumpy girlfriend in his movies. YET she was. When I was a kiddo watching Peyton Place, I certainly had a big crush on her, that I've unfortunately carried into adulthood up until now. She was EXQUISITE. in my eyes at least. And she IS something of a maneater, for all her little-waif-me-shtick. She sampled a fair share a legendary cock back in the day for sure. Somebody here described her as "one of the most manipulative and charming characters of her generation" and I would say that it is a good definition for her. In the 70's, when she was already past her heyday, she was as big a name as FONDA, DENEUVE or REDGRAVE and certainly bigger than dunaway. And at the height of her beauty, she was unforgettable. ravishing. Keep in mind that she's all natural (no knife work on that face) and almost make up free in RB. here is an intertesting interview, enjoy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214September 13, 2023 3:47 PM

[quote]The MIA fARROW monthly thread

Oh god, it's the curse.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2022 2:08 PM

She's was far from beautiful in Death On The Nile

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2022 2:11 PM

STFU Lois, she had a bag wig, and could still act eons above and beyond you (admittingly a very low bar)

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2022 2:13 PM

Saint Mia in my books.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2022 2:15 PM

I'm 34, and of course I know who the twat is/was.

My mother has hated Woody Allen AND Mia Farrow since the 70s, and I've heard it all. Mia was never a legitimate talent. She's famous for being famous, and for being a shrill activist, and for pushing her damaged children to claim phony abuse. She's not famous for her acting talent. She owed the start of her career to Mr. Francis Albert Sinatra, and he likely used his filthy mafia/Hollywood connections to support her even after the divorce. By the time Woody came along, it was just a weirdo celebrity pairing, and people were far more concerned with her COLLECTION of children. Seriously, it's pathological. Healthy adults don't adopt 10 special-needs children while single and essentially unemployed.

She was as visible as Jane Fonda, Vanessa Redgrave, Faye Dunaway, etc. But she sure as shit wasn't as TALENTED as those actresses. Being seen isn't the same as being skilled. Kim Kardashian is seen, but she's no Amy Adams.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2022 2:20 PM

Any fans of the bizarre Joseph Losey film Secret Ceremony starring Elizabeth Taylor, Robert Mitchum, and Mia - it was her first film after Rosemary's Baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2022 2:23 PM

Also, consider all the other actors who won or were nominated for Oscars in films where Mia floundered. Dianne Wiest Ruth Gordon, Judy Davis, Marty Landau, etc.

Mia has never even been nominated for a single Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2022 2:25 PM

R5, actually, she owes her career to Vivien Leigh, of all people. Long before Sinatra, Vivien took a personal interest in her, and pulled strings to have her signed with FOX, leading to her casting in PP and GUN AT BATASY, in which she was EXTREMELY good in an overall good movie with a stellar cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2022 2:26 PM

I don’t know what kind of Saint gets knocked up by her best friend’s husband, but sure. Who can forget Mia’s Oscar-winning…oh wait, I mean her Tony-nominated…yikes sorry again.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2022 2:28 PM

R6, I LOVE this movie...Best TAYLOR performance IMO, and Mia is incredible. And that house !!! Tasteful friends for the ages

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2022 2:29 PM

R9 = Dory Previn

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2022 2:31 PM

Mia is actually the first american actor to ever be included in the RSC, and she should have won the AA for RB, Broadway Danny Rose, and at least a nom for many more. She was iconic in RB and THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO, extremely good in Radio days, september, and many more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2022 2:36 PM

Mia Farrow is a despicable psychopath who used the song Dory Previn wrote as the basis for her daughter Dylan's lie about being molested by Woody Allen. Since Mia wrecked Dory's marriage, this was wholly her subconscious at work. Let it be known.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2022 2:36 PM

I'm going to accentuate the positive here. There is something very authentic and sincere about Mia. She did the adopting kids thing before it was trendy, and was hands-on as best she could be. No froufrou. I think she's exquisite onscreen and elevated Woody's movies.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2022 2:38 PM

Absolute bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2022 2:38 PM

thanks for reminding us R13 Soon-Yi

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2022 2:38 PM

r14 that's because she had a white savior complex. Any POC can tell you people like Mia are the fucking worst. That mother who drove her black kids off a cliff was similar to Mia.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2022 2:41 PM

Putting this here for R14

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2022 2:42 PM

She's very beautiful in R18 pic, and bear in mind that she was in her mid 40s then

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2022 2:44 PM

R18 Yes, I know. I believe her heart was in the right place.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2022 2:50 PM

Delicious in DANDY IN ASPIC and JOHN AND MARY, but of course, the haters won't see that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2022 2:50 PM

She was terrible in "Avalanche."

The only strong performance in that dud was from Rock Hudson's man-girdle. And maybe Robert Forster as the hunky who saves the day.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2022 2:53 PM

Can you imagine Mia AND Liza crashing Tab Hunter's party ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2022 2:55 PM

R22 I love when the skiier throws the breakfast in the nympho's face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2022 2:58 PM

You have to admire anyone who puts up with her racist pedo ex-boyfriends batshit crazy fans the way she does.

At least Ronan knows how to poke a stick at them and get them riled up. That tickles me.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2022 3:02 PM

[quote]She was terrible in "Avalanche."

oh yeah, like AVALANCHE is the stuff that makes ANY actor shine She gave very good ass in the swimming pool scene and that matters Mia's ass matters

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2022 3:03 PM

She was there, and you weren't, bitches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2022 3:07 PM

[quote] "Saint Mia in my books."

The full name is perfect for sainthood, R4: Saint "Maria de Lourdes Villiers Farrow".

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2022 3:10 PM

R5 To be fair, her brother is also very fond of children. Funny how he's never mentioned in her "activism."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2022 3:15 PM

hummm..."de lourdes villiers " sounds great. Who read LA CONFIDENTIAL THE MAKING OF A MOVIE STAR ? Tab LOATHED John Farrow. Said he was the worst hypocrit, with all his fake christian shenanigans, all the while trying to stick it into Lana. I love THE SEA CHASE though. Very entertaining, and the scene when Tab's FB is eaten by the shark is good stuff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2022 3:15 PM

R29 how is it her fault if her brother is a pedo ???

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2022 3:16 PM

R31 Where did I say it was her fault? I'm saying that, for all of her allegations against Woody and her anti-pedophilia stance, she never mentions her brother, who was actually jailed and convicted of it. Some might suspect that he's the one who inspired said allegations.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2022 3:19 PM

Regarding Ms Farrow, when all is said and done, the important thing to remember is that MIA IS BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2022 3:22 PM

R32, what do you expect her to say "I should know what i'm talking about, my own brother is a convicted pedo" ? they all admit that abuse was ramapnt in the Farrow family long before she met Woody, which makes sense. Abused often pursue abusers

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2022 3:23 PM

r25 it's cunts like you who get people naturally riled up because you distort the facts. The true racists are the liberal elite who only listen to Mia's white children Dylan and Ronan and ignore her adopted Asian children's opinions on the whole scandal, even though Moses was absolutely insistent that Mia was the abusive parent, not Woody.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2022 3:23 PM

R33 thank you for honouring my modest monthly Mia thread. I love you.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2022 3:24 PM

Somebody linked to Edie Sedgwick, Andy W and the whole Factory scene , I don't remember who it was, described in an interview how they were all chilling round a swimming pool one summer during the Sinatra years, with Mia lying there in the sun, absolutely gorgeous, and a butterfly just landed on her breast. Said it was such an exquisite vision they were all raptured and stunned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2022 3:35 PM

It truly annoys me that we will never truly know what Woody did or didn't do.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2022 3:35 PM

R38, yes we will and do.

It's all a lie.

Period.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2022 3:37 PM

In this Home Video footage at the 42 minute mark, Mia is having dinner with her kids and looks spaced out and disengaged by them. This is a textbook sign of an abusive parent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2022 3:38 PM

R38, I've watched enough of the "woody vs farrow " debacle (2 sec is all I could take honestly) to make up my mind. It's not binary, as in SHE'S LYING versus HE's LYING. I'm convinced they both tell the truth. Woody is a twisted fuck and Mia is bonkers, but she didn't brainwash the girl IMO, and neither did he fingerfuck her. I belive that Dylan is EXTREMELY manipulative and has understood even back then that she would attract all the attention she'd ever need and more by milking that cow, and she will, for ever. She'll NEVER let that go

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2022 3:41 PM

R28 That really is one of the most beautiful names ever.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2022 3:42 PM

I know the hate I'll get for this; I'll post it anyway. Those who most need to see it won't look at it, which is weird. I watched the entire Allen V Farrow thing with an open mind; it hasn't changed my stance. Why did she videotape Dylan in the nude (Dylan, not Mia... presumably, at least).

The problem is not the doubters... It's the people who are sure that they KNOW what happened. Especially those who back up their stance with the facile "he married his adoptive daughter" excuse. (He didn't; she wasn't; and, as unsavory as he might be, marrying an adult has zero to do with abusing a young child. I don't KNOW what happened either. Based on everything I've read and heard, I don't believe Mia for one second. It's a gut feeling. It's only her two white kids who go along with the allegations. I even believe that Dylan believes it. None of kids of color (those who didn't kill themselves or OD) ever made these claims, but who cares about her non-white kids?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2022 3:50 PM

the "non white " kids know better than involving themselves in that mess

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2022 3:53 PM

It's been a while since one of Mia fARROW's brood has been lost to accidental drug overdose (Tam), HIV (Lark), suicide (Thaddeus) or a happy escape and marriage (Soon-Yi).

Has she added replacements for her collection to keep the count up where her OCD/Control Issues need it to be?

Child hoarding is easy to accomplish by eBay, but the quality of the goods is always suspect, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2022 3:55 PM

R36 LOL. Anytime!

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2022 3:57 PM

Hypothetical theory: Maybe Woody Allen wasn't interested or attracted to non-white kids, so they would not have the same experience. Michael Jackson was only interested in young white boys...

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2022 3:57 PM

I never understood why she was blamed for adopting children. It's remarkably generous. The issue is how did she raise them of course, put she gets shit just for the simple fact of adopting, and that can't be held against her

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2022 3:58 PM

R48 Does she, though? Both Moses and Soon-Yi gave elaborate details about how she used her non-white kids as domestic servants. I realize that every player in this saga could indeed, theoretically, have an ulterior motive (as does Satchel/Ronan, for that matter), but I'll posit that it's these reports, from her surviving adopted kids, that generated said shit received. Angelina Jolie gets mocked for collecting kids as well, as does Madonna, but neither received the same kind of vitriol that was directed at Mia, and that's because those kids (Angelina's and Madonna's) never claimed abuse.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2022 4:05 PM

[quote]those kids (Angelina's and Madonna's) never claimed abuse.

Sorry we're so slow, just negociating the best deal...

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2022 4:12 PM

not defending her, just talking generally...raising kids is HARD, it's not for everyone. Even the best parent makes mistakes and is susceptible of abuse, at times. I 'm not talking rape, or smacking your child with a phone or anything like that, but anyone who's ever been stuck in a room with a screaming baby for DAYS on end knows. I'm not convinced by Moses's claims. Mia might have been abusive at times, but I doon't believe that she is the sadist he describes.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2022 4:21 PM

What Falls Away is a beautifully written book. One of the best celeb memoirs I have ever read. Memoirs leave out the uglier parts of the subjects life, I am OK with this. It's your story to tell or not tell. Woody Allen is discussed in What Falls Away and the relationship doesn't make any sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2022 4:22 PM

Most people were shocked when beautiful Mia went with Woody. I remember my parents were shocked. It was discussed over the dinner table among movie buffs. the idea was that he "must have hidden talents", (- also because he had Keaton, but that wasn't the same, she wasn't considered beautiful ). Warhol even wrote in his diary that she was trashed by most people in the industry for putting out for this troll-from-under-the-forsaken-bridge.

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2022 4:30 PM

In her memoir, at the end Mia discusses her relationship with Woody Allen. From the beginning he is neurotic and distant. Mia wrote about verbal abuse. They were a couple for years but maintained separate homes across Central Park, Allen on the UES and Mia on the UWS.

Why bother. He's distant and abusive? Why not move on with your life?

The Woody Allen scenario is not as interesting as the beginning of the story which describes her unique Hollywood upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2022 4:39 PM

I personally find Diane Keaton much more attractive than Mia Farrow, but Mia was absolutely brilliant in "Rosemary's Baby" and hell, even "The Great Gatsby," which it's chic to pan now; but I'll take that version over Baz's any day! I know I've liked her in other Allen movies -- she was hilarious in "Alice," and I recall liking her in "The Purple Rose of Cairo." I thought that the emphasis on her beauty in "A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy" was overrated and a symptom of Woody Allen's obsession at the time. I thought she was awful and miscast in "Broadway Danny Rose."

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2022 4:41 PM

is this gonna be like a period?

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2022 4:42 PM

Mia likes them abusers, it's not rocket science. Sinatra, polanski, sellers, previn, Roth, her love life is a who'swho of raging psychos in American culture

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2022 4:44 PM

Mia to her adopted POC children:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2022 4:48 PM

Mia's totally sane 1992 Valentine's Day card to Woody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2022 4:49 PM

“Abusive at times” vs “sadist” is quite the distinction, R51.

In order to adopt Soon-Yi, Mia had to lean on her friend Bill Styron (author of Sophie’s Choice) and Massachusetts congressman Michael Harrington to change federal law that allowed only two international adoptions per couple, presumably put in place to avoid the chaos that later engulfed Mia’s brood.

The idea she could single-handedly save all these poor Asian children just reeks of the worst kind of Christian missionary hubris. A single parent cannot possibly attend to all of the needs and issues of a dozen kids, especially those with health problems/learning issues. Fittingly, Nobody ever mentions how Mia was a major anti-choice activist until quite recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2022 4:52 PM

She did adopt. Similar to the way people hoard stray animals.

Mia almost died of polio as a child, she was removed from her home and placed in a sanitarium. This event was a trauma for her family. The sanitarium was a fearful place, and other children at the sanitarium died of their illness. That experience is a factor in her choice to adopt children who are difficult to place including children born disabled. Mia herself was disabled during the time she was deathly sick.

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2022 4:58 PM

Not to mention that she needed lawyers to adopt Dylan, since she and Woody were unmarried and not even living together. What could go wrong placing a child in that situation?!

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2022 4:59 PM

Mia left out Beware of Young Girls in her memoir.

Again, it is up to the individual to tell their own story on their own terms.

People are interested in her relationship with W. Allen. It's the least important or interesting subject in her memoir but she did write about it and it makes no sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2022 5:08 PM

I recall the Warhol entry, he wrote people were really putting down Mia but he didn't elaborate the nature of the insults.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2022 5:11 PM

Perhaps... WOAAAR ?

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote] A single parent cannot possibly attend to all of the needs and issues of a dozen kids,

I don't know about that. Didn't Josephine Baker adopt dozens of kids long before Mia ? She was celebrated accross the world and won the most prestigious awards for it IIRC

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2022 5:17 PM

Uh the same Josephine Baker who kicked one of her beloved adoptees to the curb when she discovered he was gay, R66?

Josephine was also the breadwinner in her family and she didn’t seek out children with major health problems like Mia.

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2022 5:28 PM

Hey Toots, this is MY corner so r46. better not make a habit of pretending to me, THE MIA IS BITCH troll. This could turn in to a monthly gig so don't make me go all Helen Lawson on you, newbie!

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2022 6:09 PM

R68 I'd reply with enthusiasm, if I had a clue as to your beef (or praise). I'll go out the way I came in.... With dignity!

by Anonymousreply 69July 22, 2022 6:13 PM

Anyway, Mia was always a natural beauty. A waif type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 22, 2022 6:27 PM

Rosemary’s Baby is way overrated.

by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2022 7:16 PM

I hate real life Mia, but I live for her in "Death on the Nile".

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2022 7:24 PM

me too R72

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2022 9:24 PM

i hate everybody.

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2022 9:25 PM

Simon in DOTN was a good to kill Lois for this munter

by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2022 9:26 PM

Always found her EXCELLENT in Gatsby. F.Scott and Zelda's daughter said that her father would have approved of her and that she was the perfect embodiment of his vision for Daisy. Incidently, Francis Scott was rumoured to havre been very heavily into Maureen, in his Hollywood days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2022 9:29 PM

All those threads about her, but none about me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2022 9:29 PM

Can you imagine going to India with your unknown fug of a sister with the Beatles, and they write a song about HER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2022 9:33 PM

I loved you in Legend, r77

by Anonymousreply 79July 24, 2022 6:27 PM

When she met Woody she was in a so so broadway play and her film career was on the skids. He added her to his successful film repertory company and gave her a second act. Unfortunately, she has spent her third act trying to destroy him.

by Anonymousreply 80July 24, 2022 6:54 PM

I used to love Intimate Portrait (@R40) - I don't agree with R40s observation though. But that family scene at the kitchen table that he linked to, looks heavy and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 81July 24, 2022 7:03 PM

[quote]In her memoir, at the end Mia discusses her relationship with Woody Allen. From the beginning he is neurotic and distant. Mia wrote about verbal abuse. They were a couple for years but maintained separate homes across Central Park, Allen on the UES and Mia on the UWS. Why bother. He's distant and abusive? Why not move on with your life?

She was SO caught up in his life. Her whole career, money, everything.

She also had a "difficult" father so the way he behaved was something that was familiar to her.

But she did see the signs and chose to ignore them until it all blew up in her face. This is what happens when you ignore the signs.

by Anonymousreply 82July 24, 2022 7:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 24, 2022 7:21 PM

I was working at Tower when she came in very pregnant. I mean she was huge. But god I will never forget her skin. It was so beautiful. I believe she was looking for recordings of Bjorling. She's given some very wonderful performances in Woody Allen's films and has far exceeded her mother in acting accomplishments. Her performance in Love Letters knocked me for a loop. I didn't think she would be so good.

Her casting as Daisy was a great coup but Gatsby was considered a big disappointment at the time. And I don't believe people consider it any better today. Redford's casting may be the worst of a leading role in a major movie in Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 84July 24, 2022 8:25 PM

I always find her lack of awards very strange. She was a good actress. Sometimes very good. Even Woody admit THAT, even now. It's all been overshadowed by the other stuff. If you were to tote it up she's had more Dl threads than practically anybody else. DL dropped her after the Asian son's revelations.

by Anonymousreply 85July 24, 2022 8:29 PM

R84. Redford in Out of Africa was the second worst star casting in the history of film.

by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2022 8:32 PM

[quote] I always find her lack of awards very strange.

She's not liked by the powers that be, and never was. She went toe to toe against very powerful men, like Sinatra, Spielberg, Allen etc. Her sisters were very beautiful too, well not dear Prudence, but Tisa and Steffie. Tisa is a doppleganger for Tuesday TU-TU Weld. Woody fucked them all, just like he fucked Diane's sisters. He likes to go through a family like a ball of fire

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2022 8:37 PM

Mia used to smoke weed and have threeways with Woody and his teenage girlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 24, 2022 8:45 PM

I thought she always remained on good terms with Sinatra and is liked by his children.

She did not break up Previn's marriage. Andre was tired of Dory(men grow cold as women grow old) and wanted out and Mia was good company being young, pretty and intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 89July 24, 2022 8:50 PM

I think she had threeways since the beginning of her sex life. Life around Dali wasn't for the fainthearted, he was famous for his orgies, Mia was possibly one of the young virgin beauties looking on. I bet Sinatra trained her to do all kind of things with all kind of people. It was the swinging sixties after all. (Don't really want to know what they did or didn't do at 10050 Cielo drive when she was living there with the Polanskis, but I bet my ass it was not canasta)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 24, 2022 8:51 PM

She didn't ALWAYS remain in good terms with Sinatra, when they divorced, it was very bitter. This is a letter he wrote her in 1982, clearly they hadn't seen each other for over a decade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 24, 2022 8:55 PM

[quote]She didn't ALWAYS remain in good terms with Sinatra, when they divorced, it was very bitter.

I never heard that. She didn't ask for any money, which helped. The story she tells is he dropped her when she refused to sign of from Rosemary's Baby when it ran overtime. Seems like a lame reason to divorce someone.

[quote]This is a letter he wrote her in 1982, clearly they hadn't seen each other for over a decade

How is that clear?

by Anonymousreply 92July 24, 2022 8:59 PM

Sinatra was furious she wouldn't drop out of RB, the house was divided in 2, her side and his, they wenren't in speaking terms anymore, and she asked Evans to publish RB's box office in front of Sinatra's movie's in a double page in all the professional people. He declined. When Farrow is cornered, she's known to fight back hard. She punched Timothy Bottoms in the face during the filmingof Hurricane. He needed stitches. Mia is a fighter. You don't cross her. She didn't want any money from Sinatra because she didn't want to owe anything to someone who had misbehaved with her. But she kept the diamonds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 24, 2022 9:07 PM

Yeah, the story she tells neglects to mention her affair with John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas.

by Anonymousreply 94July 24, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote] How is that clear?

he mentions his grandchildren who are 8 and 5, seemingly for the first time

by Anonymousreply 95July 24, 2022 9:08 PM

She had an affair with Mike Nichols that lasted years. They were presenting themselves as " M. and Mrs Nichols"

by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2022 9:09 PM

[quote]Yeah, the story she tells neglects to mention her affair with John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas.

Was it a threesome with Makenzie?

by Anonymousreply 97July 24, 2022 9:13 PM

Don't tell me she's not flirting with Our Lady of the Dyckies here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 24, 2022 9:15 PM

Mike Nichols. Closeted Mike Nichols?

by Anonymousreply 99July 24, 2022 9:20 PM

yep, the one.

by Anonymousreply 100July 24, 2022 9:20 PM

She tried to go after Nichols for a part in that movie “Wolf,” but Kate nelligan was cast instead.

by Anonymousreply 101July 24, 2022 9:22 PM

She was almost cast in the Keaton part in THE GODFATHER;

by Anonymousreply 102July 24, 2022 9:25 PM

[QUOTE] When she met Woody she was in a so so broadway play

Romantic Comedy was a big hit for her and Perkins

by Anonymousreply 103July 24, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote]Don't tell me she's not flirting with Our Lady of the Dyckies here

MIA's a lesbian now?

She has about 2 seconds on that clip. She was so beautiful even with the crew cut and those terrible clothes.

by Anonymousreply 104July 24, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote] MIA's a lesbian now?

Baby Christina says so...Look, a friend of mine was a big name of the sixties, very close to that scene, Polanski and all, and she said to me "it was the 60's, we all did everything ". Hollywood plays by different rules. Always as

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 24, 2022 9:32 PM

John Simon, reviewing for the New York Magazine, wrote: " Romantic Comedy almost makes up in comedy what it lacks in romance... Mia Farrow is quite good... Anthony Perkins desperately lacks charisma..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 24, 2022 9:56 PM

OOUUUUch ! I hate Perkins for what he did to Tab Hunter. Nobody has anything good to say about him, and I saw him once, eating alone in an empty restaurant in Paris, in the mid 80's, his face was...Ewww. Saddest man in the world, really creepy

by Anonymousreply 107July 24, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote] She did not break up Previn's marriage. Andre was tired of Dory

Dory admitted in the 80's that they had been in an open marriage for a while ,and that she was surprised Andre stayed as long as he did, given her condition. Living with a psychotic is hell. She said the song was a cash grab, well not exactly, but that she knew it would attract attention, but was more inspired by the break up than a reliable comment on it

by Anonymousreply 108July 24, 2022 10:06 PM

Simon reserved his venom for female performers.

by Anonymousreply 109July 24, 2022 10:07 PM

Did anybody see Romantic Comedy? How was Perkin's ass? Cute? Skinny? Beefy?

by Anonymousreply 110July 24, 2022 10:15 PM

I really can't see how Perkins could have anything but a flat skinny ass

by Anonymousreply 111July 24, 2022 10:20 PM

Actress Mia Farrow and costar Anthony Perkins, 47, get together on first day rehearsal of the Romantic Comedy, a six character play that examines a long term love affair between two writing partners. The play opened on Broadway on November 8, 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 24, 2022 10:21 PM

eww BAD NOSE JOB ALERT ON PERKINS. Thanks for that pic. Mia was ethereally beautiful in John and Mary, and I like her in THE HAUNTING OF JULIA, it's not a good movie, it's more of a TV movie, but she gives a great, understated performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 24, 2022 10:24 PM

I saw Romantic Comedy. Perkins had a lean, tight bod with a flat ass that he plopped down on a desk. As someone mentioned above Mia’s skin was gorgeous and she looked about 18. She was very good. He was quirky and weird but funny. The play was ok. It ran a little under a year I think. Karen Valentine and Keith Baxter replaced them for the last month then took the play on an aborted tour.

by Anonymousreply 114July 25, 2022 1:19 AM

[quote]I like her in THE HAUNTING OF JULIA, it's not a good movie, it's more of a TV movie, but she gives a great, understated performance.

It's one of the few movies that stayed consistently true to the book it's based on, like Rosemary's Baby. I agree that she gave a great performance in it.

by Anonymousreply 115July 25, 2022 1:33 AM

Farrow looked pasty,hollow eyed and emaciated in Death on the Nile. Maybe she was ill?

by Anonymousreply 116July 25, 2022 1:34 AM

She's a very complicated individual, but I give her a lifetime pass for one of my top 10 movies: Rosemary's Baby. The whole movie rests on her shoulders and she nails it.

by Anonymousreply 117July 25, 2022 1:44 AM

Freakish woman. I can recall at least three different instances when she farted in my face!

by Anonymousreply 118July 25, 2022 2:26 AM

While I don't believe the Mia/Dylan/Ronan party line for an instant, I also think that she's given any number of superb screen performances (ROSEMARY'S BABY . . . DEATH ON THE NILE . . . BROADWAY DANNY ROSE . . . THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO . . . RADIO DAYS . . . ALICE), and I was surprised by how well she did in the mawkish LOVE LETTERS on Broadway, more than holding her own opposite Brian Dennehy.

by Anonymousreply 119July 25, 2022 3:55 AM

I think Mia's pretty cool and a competent actress.

She's had bad luck with men, but a lot of women of her generation were abused by the sexist men they married. Woody is a perv and many working in the household at the time testified to how weird he was with Dylan, including the therapists of the family.

Too many incidents to make it up, including him smearing sunscreen on Dylan's bum crack when she was 2 years old.

by Anonymousreply 120July 25, 2022 4:15 AM

R117 She also nailed the role Jackie in "Death on the Nile", looking back, she is not much different from Jackie in real life too, an unforgiven woman with a revenge!

by Anonymousreply 121July 25, 2022 4:30 AM

[quote]She's had bad luck with men, but a lot of women of her generation were abused by the sexist men they married.

Repeatedly picking abusive men isn't "bad luck," it's an entrenched unconscious pattern.

by Anonymousreply 122July 25, 2022 4:37 AM

I remember Stanley Kaufmann reviewing Husbands and Wives in The New Republic and noting that Farrow played her part in "her customary needlepoint, satisfactory way." There's something to that wording. I think of her as someone who never had an innate great passion for acting, but it was the thing to go into because of her background and her prettiness, and an avenue to the life she wanted. Because she's a person of aptitude and skill (even Soon-Yi commented in the New York magazine interview that Farrow was good at so many things), and because of her ability to take direction, she could be very good at her best. While I thought she was awful in the Redford Gatsby film, she was awful in a way that reinforces all too clearly that she could take direction.

Allen seemed perfect for her when they met because (1) he was her kind of guy, an older artistic type eminent in his field and (2) the way he made films, with light shooting schedules and almost always in the NYC area, allowed her to keep acting in an accommodating way. I've read the recent claims that he somehow "kept" her from being in films for other directors in the '80s, but I consider it revisionist BS. She knew she was going to have a part in something every year that would be acclaimed (the occasional September aside); it was a sweet deal for her while it lasted. And even so, she did a lucrative few' days work in that period on Supergirl (1984).

by Anonymousreply 123July 25, 2022 5:15 AM

At the height of her *gulp* "beauty" she was ravishing? Uhm... fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 124July 25, 2022 5:43 AM

A very good friend of mine lived next door to the house they used for the Haunting Of Julia. They used the actual house inside and out. It was unusual in that the family owned the whole house and it was apparently very tatty and strange, with a huge garden that backed onto Holland Park. Now quite a few of them have been converted back into houses after years of being mostly flats and are worth big millions. The Beckhams own one now.

by Anonymousreply 125July 25, 2022 6:24 AM

R120 both therapists who treated Dylan (Susan Coates, Nancy Schultz), neither of whom were members of the household, testified that they did not believe the abuse took place. Domestic staff (Monica Thompson, Kristi Groteke) likewise did not believe the abuse occurred.

The only people who advanced this narrative were Mia, Mia’s friend Alison and, in the case of the mysterious sunscreen application, Mia’s sister.

by Anonymousreply 126July 25, 2022 11:25 AM

[quote] she was awful in the Redford Gatsby film,

everybody was awful in that disaster, except her and Brue . I think she was GREAT. except in the hotel scene. Too Rosemaryish.

by Anonymousreply 127July 25, 2022 11:32 AM

BruCe

by Anonymousreply 128July 25, 2022 11:32 AM

In Woody's memoir, he writes that he started working with her at Pauline Kael's suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 129July 25, 2022 11:37 AM

R126: And if so many people considered Allen inappropriate with Dylan, including Mia Farrow herself, it's surprising no one was able to talk her out of giving him such a glowing recommendation when he adopted Dylan and Moses in December 1991. She called him a "loving, caring, and attentive parent" in her affidavit. She found the Soon-Yi photos a month later, and now "attentive" is the only part we're supposed to believe.

I don't pretend to have been in these people's houses or attics, so I'll never know with 100 percent certainty. But Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn have been very consistent in what they have said for decades. Mia Farrow has been all over the place, and Ronan and Dylan sing out of whatever page of the hymn book she calls. We continuously get new previously undisclosed horrors. "He shoved Dylan's face into a plate of hot spaghetti!"

by Anonymousreply 130July 25, 2022 11:39 AM

R129 wow, didn't know that.

[quote] I think of her as someone who never had an innate great passion for acting, but it was the thing to go into because of her background and her prettiness

what strikes me is the way she was immediately dubbed in the old guard . By Vivien, Cukor, Sinatra, etc. She got break after break after break, and it"s not like she was the only Hollywood progeny out there. She must have been very charming, and Maureen, who was never a major star, seemed to be beloved . Fonda and Minelli didn't have it so easy

by Anonymousreply 131July 25, 2022 11:43 AM

Sam Waterston in Gatsby is perfection. The only role that they nailed though Scott Wilson is very good too.

by Anonymousreply 132July 25, 2022 11:43 AM

Apparently ,THE LAST UNICORN has a cult following

by Anonymousreply 133July 25, 2022 11:45 AM

[quote] At the height of her *gulp* "beauty" she was ravishing? Uhm... fuck no.

Well, I don't know what's beautiful in your eyes, but I thnk she was

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 25, 2022 12:09 PM

anyone who saw that documentary Mia and Dylan put out can see from the movie footage how intense and inappropriate he was with Dylan. He was cruel and abusive with Mia who was somewhat stuck with him.

The only way Mia was guilty was in allowing his inappropriateness to go on when it was clear for all to see. Finally the whole thing blew up in her face. Which is exactly what happens when you ignore a bad situation for a very long time.

And you think out of all the women in New York Woody had to fuck his longtime girlfriend 's teenage daughter. Was that OK with you?

So anyone taking his side is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 135July 25, 2022 12:19 PM

[quote]anyone who saw that documentary Mia and Dylan put out can see from the movie footage how intense and inappropriate he was with Dylan

Just about anything can be made ominous when it's shown in slow motion with creepy music playing. Picture yourself walking out to get your mail, maybe looking from side to side, with the footage slowed down and low strings on the soundtrack. Add a voiceover of someone who hates you saying "This person was not right. You just felt uneasy. Like something terrible could happen at any time."

Frankly, I thought the candid footage of Allen with young Dylan looked innocuous (minus the layers of filmmaking technique over it).

by Anonymousreply 136July 25, 2022 12:29 PM

Wait. Back up, please. She was seriiously fucking Mike Nichols? What year(s) was this?

She purportedly had a very close relationship with Sondheim for years. Did she fuck him, too?

by Anonymousreply 137July 25, 2022 12:33 PM

Mia Farrow didn't need Viven Leigh or Frank Sinatra or anyone else to get her into the movies. She was born into it. Her father, John Farrrow was a successful screenwriter and a film director and her mother was Magaret Sullivan, and very successful actress. Mia was always part of the Hollywood community, with it's blended families and overlapping relationships.

by Anonymousreply 138July 25, 2022 12:45 PM

Her mother was Maureen O'Sullivan (star of the Tarzan movies), not Margaret Sullavan. There's a world of difference between them.

by Anonymousreply 139July 25, 2022 12:56 PM

[quote]Frankly, I thought the candid footage of Allen with young Dylan looked innocuous (minus the layers of filmmaking technique over it).

FUCK OFF, quite frankly. You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 140July 25, 2022 1:02 PM

For myself, I'm always mixing up Maureen O'Sullivan with Maureen O'Hara. I never considered Margaret Sullavan as another possible complication.

by Anonymousreply 141July 25, 2022 1:03 PM

[quote] her mother was Magaret Sullivan

Ahem.. No, and that's not that easy Toots. Otherwise anyone born into a Hollywood family would become a STAH

by Anonymousreply 142July 25, 2022 1:16 PM

R141 Don't forget about me. Were it not for that blasted taxicab, you'd all still know my name!

by Anonymousreply 143July 25, 2022 1:18 PM

The interactions with her kids sound cold and actressy to me, as if she’s trying to be a whimsical mom but is mechanically going through the motions. I don’t find her appealing or warm. That dinner scene where the kids are choosing white or brown rice was grim and joyless. I don’t think nowadays it would be considered so charming to be collecting kids and matching them up by color and disability as if they’re Pokémon cards.

by Anonymousreply 144July 25, 2022 1:36 PM

Fine! Maureen O' Sullivan. Anyway, she and John Farrow were DEVOUT Catholics. Serious Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 145July 25, 2022 1:44 PM

R145 Maybe that explains all the child abuse, and Mia's pathological need to be around as many needy, unemployable children as she can get.

Stereotypes exist for a reason!

by Anonymousreply 146July 25, 2022 1:48 PM

R143 Mags you're soooo cancelled right now

by Anonymousreply 147July 25, 2022 1:52 PM

If only we had footage of Mia beating Soon-Yi with a telephone receiver after she found the nudie pics at Woody’s, an assault to which she admitted in court by saying she wasn’t “proud” of it. Was your daughter a victim, Mia, or a jezebel intent on taking your man? You already knew Woody was sleeping with whomever he wanted and the two of you weren’t fucking anymore.

Mia also testified that she was “jealous” of all the normal paternal attention woody showed to Dylan; he brought Dylan presents but not Mia. I can’t think of anything more “inappropriate” than 1) adopting a white girl just to please your fickle, narcissistic boyfriend and then 2) treating her as a competitor for his affections.

by Anonymousreply 148July 25, 2022 1:57 PM

And Previn disowned Soon-yi immediately. Fine parents she's got. Poor thing. Her heaven is Woody Allen FFS. How sad is that

by Anonymousreply 149July 25, 2022 2:00 PM

A monthly thread? At the end of the day, I think Mia's a sociopath. And once you reach that conclusion, there's not much left to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 150July 25, 2022 2:05 PM

If you work with families, you quickly discover that people who adopt more than one or two kids often are pretty pathological. The system rewards them because there is a permanent shortage of homes for older children esp. those with special needs or from minority backgrounds and foreign countries used to be very lax about international adoption. We'll probably never know the full story of Farrow and her children and I'm guessing that truth is some sort of mosaic of the different stories we've heard. Allen had had cringeworthy relationships before but did not interact with her before high school and, of course, had no blood relationship. I ted to think that both Farrow and Allen are very odd people who probably never should have had children (individually or together).

Farrow always seemed limited as an actress. I liked here in Zelig where and Radio Days where she got beyond her usual waifishness in different ways. The other way I've thought of her has been as Sandy Dennis without the tics, which makes you realize that sometimes the tics really worked.

by Anonymousreply 151July 25, 2022 2:17 PM

Her nonsense makes a lot more sense once you read about her childhood with an emotionally abusive father.

It explains her relentless pursuit of men who ultimately use her and discard her. It's what her father did.

It explains her need to have a massive brood of kids and give them a warped, overprotective shell of a family. It's what she never had.

It explains her seeming ambivalence to giving these many children a stable father figure, or a second parent of any kind. A father fucked her up, so who needs one?

It explains her instant, vicious, and depraved rejection of any child who steps outside the bubble she has crafted for the family. How DARE anyone violate the family's bliss? Don't they appreciate how hard it is to be a good parent, and how awful they could've had it???

by Anonymousreply 152July 25, 2022 2:19 PM

Can we change this to the "same time next year" thread?

by Anonymousreply 153July 25, 2022 2:23 PM

Who do we think Ronan Farrow's daddy really is? He looks a lot like Sinatra although Frank's last former chorus girl wife Barbara swears that Frank never cheated on her! HA! After she dumped Zeppo Marx to marry Frank, she shouldn't expect fidelity on his part

by Anonymousreply 154July 25, 2022 2:25 PM

She is perfectly cast in GATSBY, "a voice full of money" and all.

I was a mere stripling when I used to watch PEYTON PLACE with my mother (one of the few good memories I have with that harridan), and recently binge-watched the entire series. I stood in line behind a very attractive Ronan a few weeks ago to buy water at a deli and was so tempted to tell him how much his mother and the tv show meant to me, but I was too shy.

by Anonymousreply 155July 25, 2022 2:33 PM

[quote] He looks a lot like Sinatra

Yeah, after 354 procedures. With his original face and body he looked like a mix between woody and Mia, which was not a pretty pretty sight.

by Anonymousreply 156July 25, 2022 2:35 PM

Oh, who cares? Mia and Ronan would like us to believe it's Sinatra, and I'm sure she screwed around on Woody just as she had with Previn and other, so maybe it is.. But they'll never make a direct statement. If she were to prove paternity (assuming she could, which is dubious) she'd be liable to Woody Allen for every penny of child support attributable to Ronan (including school tuitions and that leg-lengthening nonsense) and might also be criminally charged with fraud. So we'll all have to make do with innuendo.

by Anonymousreply 157July 25, 2022 2:35 PM

Ronan is Woody's biological son. You could see the resemble when he was much younger.

He, like Woody is also whip smart.

by Anonymousreply 158July 25, 2022 2:40 PM

As far as the Woody-Soon-Yi thing goes, I don't see how anyone can argue that Mia wasn't seriously provoked! It was a fucked-up thing to do, luckily he didn't mind being stuck with the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 159July 25, 2022 2:41 PM

I would argue that even serious provocation doesn't warrant the kind of retaliation she chose, which not only destroyed Woody's reputation but more to the point completely fucked up her, who has an apparently sincere conviction that the abuse happened.

Not cool, Mia.

by Anonymousreply 160July 25, 2022 2:45 PM

Sinatra was recovering from major gastrointestinal surgery in California when Ronan was conceived, during which time Mia was in New York doing reshoots for September. Little Satchel looked like Woody’s sister.

by Anonymousreply 161July 25, 2022 2:46 PM

Nancy and Tina were not happy about the allegations that Ronan is Frank’s son but they were classy about it in the press.

by Anonymousreply 162July 25, 2022 2:48 PM

R152

Technically the kids Allen and Previn adopted are not blood relations.

Allen or Previn can begin a romantic relationship with their adoptive kids without the stigmas of incest.

by Anonymousreply 163July 25, 2022 3:08 PM

Of course that's true, r152. Always assuming that the adopted Previn children are into necrophilia

by Anonymousreply 164July 25, 2022 3:12 PM

"I was a mere stripling when I used to watch PEYTON PLACE with my mother (one of the few good memories I have with that harridan), and recently binge-watched the entire series."

MARY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 165July 25, 2022 3:24 PM

[quote] "I was a mere stripling when I used to watch PEYTON PLACE with my mother

Same here. I still remember the day she sent me to play in the garden right after that line ' smthing smthing smthing AFTER YOU RAPED ALLISON'. I was never allowed to watch again...

by Anonymousreply 166July 25, 2022 3:28 PM

I revisited Rosemary’s Baby yesterday and I am shocked to learn Mia wasn’t even nominated for an Oscar. How in the world? Her performance is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 167August 5, 2022 11:46 AM

and there were many performance after RB in which she at least deserved a nomination but never got anything. In all that time all she got was one single Globe nomination. In the meantime Mira Sorvina won an Oscar for a totally spastic cartoon performance in a Woody film.

by Anonymousreply 168August 5, 2022 12:14 PM

Why do we care about Mia Farrow anymore! How old are the posters on this site.Average median age 60??? Jeeez. I like Ronan. He's wicked smart, and he's a damnedgood journalist. And there's no way he is Frank's son.

by Anonymousreply 169August 5, 2022 1:34 PM

how is Ronan a good journalist? He didn't even go to journalism school, he's a failed diplomat/lawyer/talk show host. The only reason he could steal the Weinstein story from the NY Times reporters was because of his showbiz connections and endless free time. Has he broken any stories since then? He could have developed anything for HBO, but instead we get risible "Allen v. Farrow" because he needs to keep his name in the media.

by Anonymousreply 170August 5, 2022 1:49 PM

Ronan's greatest gift that I've seen is for self-promotion and self-aggrandizement.

by Anonymousreply 171August 5, 2022 2:04 PM

Why? I guess there's nothing else to discuss? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 172August 5, 2022 2:29 PM

There's nothing wrong with being 60 as long as you don't claim you really look 25.

by Anonymousreply 173August 5, 2022 3:38 PM

R171 So, he’s telling everyone he’s hung?

by Anonymousreply 174August 5, 2022 3:40 PM

Farrow gave her typical waifish performance in "Rosemary's Baby". Ruth Gordon became the breakout "star" of the film, despite being in a supporting role. Lots of good character people. It was a role that should have gone to Sandy Dennis--if she didn't go overboard with her usual tics, she probably would have gotten a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 175August 5, 2022 3:40 PM

With all the hate Mia gets here(she has given some truly wonderful performances on stage and film) the Sinatra daughters and Previn remained close to her and had great affection for her. Well Nancy wasn't crazy about her implying Ronan was Sinatra's son but she seemed more exasperated with her than angry.

by Anonymousreply 176August 5, 2022 3:45 PM

I thought the star of Rosemary’s Baby was the Dakota?

by Anonymousreply 177August 5, 2022 3:46 PM

The Dakota was a star, suitably ugly and depressing. I hated it, even after Rosemary's refresh. And Mia goes far beyond waifish; she's onscreen every second and expresses a wide range of emotion powerfully. She's best in the scenes toward the end, where she seems insanely paranoid all while telling nothing but the truth. I'd seen the movie in the past, but yesterday was the first time on a big hi-def screen and it is so well done. As has been noted, it's extremely faithful to the novel – much exact dialogue, no departures –yet Polanski's vision is his own. It all seems very contemporary, and chilling about shit that likely does go on. Shiver!

by Anonymousreply 178August 5, 2022 4:06 PM

R169 If you are a film buff or a lover of pop culture and fabulousness, Mia Farrow is of interest. She's had an amazing life, she was raised in a time when women were primarily encouraged to be wives and mothers, and she has done that but had a career as well. I actually find it sad when people only care about their own generation.

by Anonymousreply 179August 5, 2022 4:20 PM

The biggest star, alongside the Dakota and Ruth Gordon, was Vidal Sassoon.

by Anonymousreply 180August 5, 2022 7:43 PM

The fabulous, gut-wrenching Hutch was my huge, memorable favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 5, 2022 7:46 PM

The real star of Rosemary's Baby. And no not the queen to the right of Kelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 5, 2022 7:58 PM

I like Mia in several films: Rosemary's Baby, The Omen (2006), The Great Gatsby, Hannah and Her Sisters, Husbands and Wives, Purple Rose of Cairo... she's great in Woody's films. At one time they obviously loved each other. Where it went south, who knows.

I don't know what happened under that roof but Woody is pretty much putting is penchant for underage girls out there for the world to see in Manhattan. It's absolutely disgusting. I believe he is a pedophile and even if it was consensual with her reaching the age of majority, he groomed Soon-Yi and it's not normal to lust after a coming-of-age barely adult you've helped raise since a child. There's something VERY wrong with that. I don't think that was his first rodeo so Dylan's story seems the more likely than "oh he did nothing."

Maybe Mia is the Joan Crawford of her generation but we don't know her reasons for doing what she did with those kids. She wasn't a perfect mom but I don't think she abused those kids.

by Anonymousreply 183August 5, 2022 8:14 PM

When Manhattan opened I remember it getting universal raves. Everyone loved it and nobody complained about the romance between a middle aged man and a highschooler.

Except for my Nixonian conservative father who came back from it completely disgusted by a story romanticizing an older man bedding a teenaged girl. I guess my staunchly republican father was ahead of his time.

by Anonymousreply 184August 5, 2022 8:30 PM

r183, where do you come up with this crap? No one, including Mia herself, has ever claimed that Woody groomed Soon-yi.

by Anonymousreply 185August 5, 2022 11:36 PM

[quote]When Manhattan opened I remember it getting universal raves. Everyone loved it and nobody complained about the romance between a middle aged man and a highschooler. Except for my Nixonian conservative father who came back from it completely disgusted by a story romanticizing an older man bedding a teenaged girl.

I wonder if that was just the times, the progressivism and sexual liberation of one era looking worse in a later era. Manhattan came out at the tail end of the '70s. In that decade and well into the next one, girls even younger than Mariel Hemingway (or her 17-year-old character, Tracy) were hooking up with rock stars, and it wasn't a secret. Some of those groupies grew up to give interviews or write books in which they claimed to have lost their virginity at 14 or 15 to this or that rock god who was twice their age or more.

Manhattan has never been my favorite WA film, but I do think it's more than the exhibit of Allen's perversion that some make of it now. It's not self-unaware on the subject of the Isaac/Tracy relationship. Their age difference keeps coming up in discussion between them, and discussion between him and other people. (He gets defensive when Diane Keaton's Mary says that something in his background "accounts for the little girl." He sputters that she's soon to be 18.) The scene in which he breaks it off with Tracy is well written. He tries to make it seem as though it's for her benefit, so she can start seeing guys her own age, and she sees through it. He really just wants to move on to someone new...who turns out to be a bad choice in other ways.

by Anonymousreply 186August 7, 2022 4:56 AM

Woody like to call me Tracey.

by Anonymousreply 187August 7, 2022 5:55 AM

I rewatch Rosemary’s Baby every now and again for the Dakota alone.

by Anonymousreply 188August 7, 2022 5:59 AM

You know most of it was shot on a sound stage in Los Angeles, R188?

by Anonymousreply 189August 7, 2022 6:01 AM

R189 Yes but the exterior is featured in the film a lot. Also - the fantasy!

by Anonymousreply 190August 7, 2022 6:03 AM

Did she get on with John Cassavetes? I know he absolutely hated Roman Polanski.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191August 7, 2022 6:04 AM

Cassavetes had some harsh words for her during the Woody scandal. He cunt

by Anonymousreply 192August 16, 2022 2:49 PM

Is there more,r192?

by Anonymousreply 193August 16, 2022 3:14 PM

Well basically he said she was nuts collecting these random children, 2 was 1 too many, and underneath the saintly veneer, she was very Hollywood moviestarish. IIRC, he sais they got on alright during RB

by Anonymousreply 194August 16, 2022 3:17 PM

The Mia/Frank breakup was very acrimonious, Frank's movie, in which Mia was supposed to follow up RB, tanked, and voting for her would've meant siding with her, hence the lack of nom. Plus I think the industry didn't like her dad, and was a bit shocked when she hooked up with Frank, it was like Jane Fonda seducing Cary Grant or something, bitch, you too hungry!

by Anonymousreply 195August 16, 2022 3:21 PM

Cassevettes was a drunk. People keep that quiet when discussing him.

by Anonymousreply 196August 16, 2022 3:36 PM

R195 Frank's movie career was complete horse shit. He only played at it because his mafia connections were too scary to deny him anything he wanted.

He was a lousy actor. Sure, he was a great singer, but when it came to the other arts he attempted, his real self shone through: A hot-blooded, violent, illiterate wannabe gangster.

Given Mia Farrow's history with men, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he beat the stuffing out of her during the marriage. Like Lana Turner, she's a lady who likes a good smack.

by Anonymousreply 197August 16, 2022 6:41 PM

[quote]Cassevettes was a drunk. People keep that quiet when discussing him.

And his ghastly movies that everyone says are such genius.

And his hammy actress wife who everyone admires so much.

by Anonymousreply 198August 16, 2022 7:58 PM

R198 = Mia

by Anonymousreply 199August 18, 2022 12:31 AM

Mia was wonderful in THE HAUNTING OF JULIA, and so beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200October 1, 2022 8:35 PM

[quote] Angelina Jolie gets mocked for collecting kids as well, as does Madonna, but neither received the same kind of vitriol that was directed at Mia, and that's because those kids (Angelina's and Madonna's) never claimed abuse.

An' if ya hear anything from Chelsea, take it with a mountain of salt, because, y'know, she's retarded.

by Anonymousreply 201October 1, 2022 8:55 PM

MIA IS BITCH

by Anonymousreply 202October 1, 2022 8:56 PM

Being a drunk is a very, very, very minor offense compared to some of shit Mia's pulled.

by Anonymousreply 203October 1, 2022 8:57 PM

she beat soon-yi with the phone, used the colored girls as scullery maids, and hung Moses by the balls in the dark closet, apart from that, what do you have ?

by Anonymousreply 204October 1, 2022 9:11 PM

If you think MANHATTAN is pervy, you clearly not one for TWINKY. Charles Bronson, porn writer, grooms , fucks and eventually marries underaged Susan George in this charming 70's flick. Bonus = DL darling Michael Cgaig as the delightfully repressed " daddy ".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 1, 2022 9:15 PM

Nothing sexier than an early teen in high socks and pleated skirts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 1, 2022 9:21 PM

Twinky in English

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 1, 2022 9:57 PM

As an elder, I can affirm there was a time where it seemed anything went.

by Anonymousreply 208October 2, 2022 3:37 AM

Mia had her tits out in A WEDDING

by Anonymousreply 209October 6, 2022 9:53 PM

Well I'd rather see Mia's tits than Deborah Kerr's, Julie Andrew's or Margaret Leighton's. It's a wonder that Celia Johnson never showed hers.

by Anonymousreply 210October 7, 2022 12:19 PM

Julie Andrews'

by Anonymousreply 211October 7, 2022 12:43 PM

Mia is one of the most talented actresses ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she has a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 212October 31, 2022 10:07 PM

R185... um... an HBO documentary? FFS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213September 13, 2023 3:30 PM

Mia wrote about her fling with Mike Nichols in her autobiography, but cagily didn't name him. Peyton Place gave everyone 6 weeks off in the Spring, and she and Nichols went to Europe. Sinatra couldn't reach her, and he finally caved and proposed to her. You could assume she used Nichols to lure Frank back, but given he was the hot director of the day, along with Polanski, maybe she wanted to keep her hooks in him. Who knows? She supposedly had a fling with Ryan O'Neal during the early days of PP, when she still had the flowing long blonde hair. She was a big star,, with or without Frank. She was on every movie magazine imaginable, Mothers loved her, girls idolized her, well her character, Allison - and then within months she was condemed by the Catholic League of Decency for being involed with a 30 years older twice divorced man. She ran the extremes.

by Anonymousreply 214September 13, 2023 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!