Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Disappearance of Lars Mittank

Lars Joachim Mittank (born February 9, 1986) is a German man who disappeared on July 8, 2014, near Varna Airport in Varna, Bulgaria. Mittank was vacationing at the Golden Sands resort, where he was supposedly involved in a fight, and was subsequently unable to fly home with his friends for health reasons. Mittank was documented acting strangely while alone in Bulgaria. He called home to his mother claiming that people were trying to kill him. On the day when he was supposed to fly home, Mittank went to the Varna Airport to consult with a doctor. He was later seen on airport security footage running out of the airport and towards an adjacent forest. He has never been seen since. The case has generated intense interest, and the frequency with which people viewed the footage of him fleeing the airport has led to him being named "the most famous missing person on YouTube."

Lars Mittank was born on February 9, 1986 in Berlin, Germany. He grew up in Itzehoe, Schleswig-Holstein, and lived there for his entire life. He worked at a power plant, had friends, and a girlfriend. He visited his parents frequently. After his father suffered a stroke, he often helped at his parents' home after work. He was described as a normal person.

On June 30, 2014, 28-year-old Mittank traveled with five of his friends to Varna, Bulgaria. It was his first journey outside of Germany. The group vacationed at the Golden Sands, a seaside resort just outside of the city of Varna. “The week went by really fast," said Paul Rohmann, one of Mittank’s friends, in 2016 on German television. “We relaxed on the beach, swam in the pool, played football, went clubbing. He was relaxed. He was in a good mood." Another friend, Tim Schuldt, said that Mittank did not eat much, and that he would have only a small bowl of soup or a small salad at a time. His friends reported no additional abnormal behavior by Mittank until the final part of the trip.

On July 6, 2014, the day before they were supposed to return home, Mittank and friends were at a bar in town, and Mittank got into a disagreement with some other German nationals over football. Mittank, a fan of the football club Werder Bremen, had differences with fans of Bayern Munich. He then parted from his friends outside a restaurant after leaving the bar, and disappeared for the rest of the night. Mittank turned up at the resort the following morning and told his friends he was beaten up by four men hired by the group in the bar whom he disagreed with the night before. The fight resulted in Mittank suffering an injured jaw and a ruptured ear drum. He went and saw a doctor who advised him not to fly due to his injury, and prescribed the antibiotic Cefprozil (500 mg). Mittank's friends wanted to stay with him, but he insisted he was fine on his own, and told them to follow the original travel plan and fly home on July 7, which they did.

Mittank checked out of the resort the same time as his friends, and checked into the Hotel Color Varna for one night. The hotel was cheap and close to the airport. However, a day after his friends left, he began to act paranoid. While at the hotel, Mittank called his mother, Sandra Mittank. In a whisper, he told her that people were trying to kill or rob him and that she should cancel his credit cards. The closed-circuit television security cameras in the hotel recorded him pacing up and down the halls, looking out windows, and hiding in an elevator. At 1 A.M., he left the hotel before returning about an hour later. It is not known what he did in the intervening period. In the morning, he once again called his mother, telling her that the people pursuing him were getting closer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2022 2:05 PM

Mittank was last seen at Varna Airport on July 8, 2014, the day he was hoping to fly home to Germany. He texted his mother that he had arrived at the airport. He went to consult with the airport doctor, Dr. Kosta Kostov. Kostov would later describe his behavior as "nervous and erratic." According to Kostov, he told Mittank that he was fine and could return home. However, Mittank did not leave his office, expressing doubt about the medication that he was taking. At that time, a construction worker entered the office. The airport was undergoing renovation at the time. Kostov said that Mittank then began to tremble. He yelled, "I don't want to die here. I have to get out of here." He then got up and fled the office. He left behind all of his luggage, which included his wallet, cell phone, and passport. He was captured by airport security cameras fleeing the terminal. Once outside, he can be seen on the footage jogging away from the airport, climbing a fence, running into a meadow, and sprinting off camera in the direction of an adjacent forest near Bulgarian national highway A2. These are his last confirmed whereabouts.

There is no definitive agreement among experts and family members as to the causes of Mittank's behaviour and to what extent his paranoia was rooted in reality. His mother said that he had no history of mental illness. However, a possible mental breakdown caused by an undiagnosed mental illness has been discussed as an explanation for his conduct. Mittank's mother, alongside Bulgarian and German doctors, have suspected that Mittank's unusual behaviour was the result of a rare side effect from the antibiotic that he was prescribed, Cefprozil. It is a cephalosporin, which have been known to induce psychotic side effects, including hallucinations and paranoia. However, according to Kostov, Mittank had not been taking his medication. "He didn't take those antibiotics. He didn't even fill out his prescription,” Kostov said. "So his behavior couldn't have been a result of that. I can't think of a single reason why he left my office in such a panic. I'm still confused."

It is also unknown what happened to Mittank after he fled the airport. With the police unable to determine Lars Mittank's fate, Sandra Mittank hired a private investigator, Andreas Gütig. He checked hospital records for patients without identification, but found nothing. Mittank had experience in hunting, fishing, and trapping, but there is skepticism about whether he would have been able to survive for long outdoors due to intense heat in the summers and lack of food. His mother has expressed belief that he is still alive, possibly having lost his memory. About a year after his disappearance, a truck driver thought he saw him hitchhiking in Varna. There have been multiple reported sightings of him in several other countries, but none have been confirmed. In 2019, a German truck driver gave a hitchhiker a ride from Dresden to Schildow in Oberhavel, Brandenburg. The driver became aware of the Mittank case later, and said that the man with him resembled an older version of Mittank. The driver said that the man had long hair and a beard. He said that his eyes seemed tired and his cheekbones were prominent.

Mittank has been described as "the most famous missing person on YouTube." By May 2018, less than four years after his disappearance, the security footage of him in the airport had been viewed more than 16 million times. The mysterious nature of the case has led to frequent discussions and the growth of numerous theories. The case remains unsolved.

Mittank is listed as 180 centimetres (5 ft 11 in) tall with dark blond hair. He has a scar on his left forearm.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2022 1:25 PM

Video of his disappearance at the airport.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2022 1:28 PM

I always felt like the doctor’s claim that Lars never even filled his prescription was him trying to cover his own ass legally, when it was revealed the medication was known to have mental side effects.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2022 1:34 PM

Hottie. Please find him before his hotness fades away!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2022 1:35 PM

OP- You only started this thread because this Lars person is good looking. If he looked like Chris Farley you wouldn't have bothered with this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2022 1:36 PM

He was hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2022 1:37 PM

Lots of interesting chatter on this old websleuths link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2022 1:39 PM

R4 Too late. Oh dear!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2022 1:41 PM

This is the disappearing that is most fascinating/interesting to me. I assume most of the women who go missing are sadly kidnapped/raped/killed by male rapists. Men always kill women. As sad as that is (and something needs to be done about femicides), the missing women's cases aren't that interesting to me as I always assume they all met the same fate, sadly. The missing men are more interesting imo. There's just much more that could have gone down.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2022 9:55 AM

Hawt!

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2022 10:02 AM

Btw, I'm European (Norwegian). Bulgaria is up and coming as a popular tourist destination for scandis, brits and germans, mostly because it's cheap. It has the beaches and the sun one would expect from tourist spots in Spain, but to a fraction of the price. Hence why it's so popular. The sad thing is that since it's such a new destination, the tourist inudstry is far from professional. I have read horror stories from hotel stays in Bulgaria, it's not just the drinking and partying from young adults either. A family said their hotel bordered to a sewer drain. All the sewer just ran into the ocean, and there was garbage everywhere. It was just very filthy. You can say what you want about Spain, but they are serious about their tourism. You would never come across this in Spain, maybe from a non-serious air bnb renter, but never from a big hotel. You get what you pay for. Bulgaria is east Europe, environmentalism barely exists and it's still dirt poor. Not to mention it has a serious crime problem. The mafia still rules down there, drugs, kidnappings etc are fairly common (I guess Bulgaria is the European Mexico). My point is just that everything could have happened to him. Get on the wrong side with the wrong people and you might end up dead. Either he had a psychotic breakdown or he was a drug mule and the mafia killed him.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2022 10:05 AM

“Girlfriend?”

🙄

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2022 10:10 AM

That’s pretty good info, r11.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2022 10:20 AM

R13.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2022 12:44 PM

I don’t think this one that mysterious.

He had a psychotic break and then went to hide out of fear. Very common for this type of thing. They think someone is coming to get them. They think their demise is eminent so they wither kill themselves to avoid an imagined worse fate or they exhaust themselves and end up in the emergency room.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2022 12:52 PM

I just realized he looks so much like Kit Connor.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2022 12:53 PM

R16 is not a sighted person.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2022 1:06 PM

Kit Connor looks like a dumpy Asian lesbian. Lars looks like the love child of Keifer Sutherland and Rick Astley.

I'd like to know if GermanGayGuy was a known associate of Lars, and where he was around the time this all went down.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2022 1:11 PM

J’accuse!

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2022 1:27 PM

If he was hit hard enough to rupture an ear drum and damage his jaw, maybe he had a slow bleed in the brain as a result of a punch, and that had an effect on his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2022 1:28 PM

To me this sounds like two mysteries in one: What caused his erratic behavior, and why has he not been found?

I would think that a foreigner without wallet and phone would be noticed in Bulgaria. If he was dead, it's unusual that the body wasn't found. Dead or alive, some trace would be there. Does the area around Varna have a history of people disappearing?

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 12:32 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2022 8:47 PM

Him mom was from Bulgaria, but he’d never left Germany before? And his father had had a stroke? Maybe his mom hooked up with some criminals from her former life that she had been hiding from for decades and got him involved in something in a desperate attempt to replace the income his father was no longer earning.

by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2022 9:04 PM

[quote] OP- You only started this thread because this Lars person is good looking. If he looked like Chris Farley you wouldn't have bothered with this thread.

Well, DUH.

What on earth is your point?

by Anonymousreply 24August 28, 2022 9:05 PM

"missing women's cases aren't that interesting to me as I always assume they all met the same fate, sadly. The missing men are more interesting imo."

Most of the men meet the same fate.

by Anonymousreply 25August 28, 2022 9:35 PM

DL is rarely right when it comes to playing detective.

by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2022 9:37 PM

Have you done a podcast on him yet, OP?

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2022 9:49 PM

Not yet, R27! There are so many hotties who have gone missing sadly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2022 9:57 PM

It seems very odd for a 28-year-old German to have never traveled to another country. I've never met a German who didn't travel. Makes me think he might have been a bit sheltered or stunted even before the apparent breakdown and would have a really hard time managing on his own in a foreign country.

by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2022 10:10 PM

"... the doctor’s claim that Lars never even filled his prescription was him trying to cover his own ass legally,"

Maybe doc gave him a few samples til he was able to fill the actual prescription?

by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2022 10:12 PM

[quote]DL is rarely right when it comes to playing detective.

Not true at all. We called the Soft Butch Sous Chef.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2022 1:15 PM

He's probably a street person.

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2022 1:20 PM

He's probably a sex slave to some wealthy person in a middle east compound. Getting his blond ass blown out nightly or by this point teaching the new stock how to please their master. Or he's on the streets after a mental breakdown. Either way, his friends are trash for leaving him,

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2022 7:08 PM

Sounds similar to Elisa Lam - down to the paranoid behaviour in a hotel. She climbed into a water tank, so it's feasible Mittank similarly put himself into danger to get away from imaginary pursuers. Maybe it's just his body wasn't found.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2022 8:16 PM

You know, I have a better memory for a man's "private parts" than for faces.

Could we get a picture of his manly bits?

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2022 8:22 PM

He will be found near water.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2022 8:34 PM

I sense trees and railroad tracks...

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2022 8:40 PM

Dont think it was the medication. I had a schizophrenic friend who would seem ok and then have psychotic episodes where she would run into traffic, threaten suicide and say people were after her.

He wasnt eating well all week, and he separated from his friends after the bar and was gone all night, showing up with mysterious injuries. Why did he separate from his friends and go off by himself in a strange country? Did he have a head injury that made things worse? Why would german guys hire 4 dudes to beat up a stranger over football (as opposed to beating him up themselves)?

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2022 10:51 PM

OP I love stuff like this. Sitting down with my wine and gummy kicked in. I will certainly enjoy falling down a Lars Mittank rabbit hole. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2022 11:18 PM

Psychotic break - underlying illness? medication? cerebral bleed from head injury? All the above?

He got paranoid, felt a need to hide and met with misadventure in the forest as he was incapable of thinking clearly/good judgment.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2022 11:24 PM

I know a lot of time has passed, but I still hope they find him, preferably sitting on my face! 😛 🕳️

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2022 11:36 PM

Two things seem especially odd in the video at R2:

1.) He leaves a bar at 04.00 with his friends heading back o their hotel, but when they decide to stop off at a McDonald's he continues on his own way and is met with a group of people who attack him (̈́'presumably hired by the people in the bar' with whom he had argued over football teams???)

Does this speak to some mental issues that preceded the beating? That he didn't want to wait for them for 5 or 10 minutes seems odd. Also that it was his own friends who discovered him. And what was the reasoning behind the assumption that the people who jumped him had been hired by 'the high school graduates' with whom he had had words in the bar?

2.) The sequence of events with him seeming fine but for some soreness and ear pain and partying every night but then deciding to see a doctor only on the day his group of friends were due to depart strikes me as strange. No mention of worsened pain or other explanation as to why he would stay on. Then the first doctor who says his condition appears serious and refers him to a hospital where language barriers make it impossible to communicate with a doctor who mocks him and gives him the equivalent of an aspirin. He is collected by a taxi, the same taxi that brought him to the hospital, and checks into a cheaper hotel where he stays on another 3 or 4 days...

It's a whole stitched together sequence of things that are each a bit odd or very odd, and where are all the details coming from: the repeat taxi driver; the divergent diagnoses; etc. It sounds as though all the details are coming from the mother in which case she seems not much more reliable a source than her son.

Not to shine a light of suspicion on the mother, it's just that the story is so poorly told, the timeline so detailed in one sense but so vague of timeline facts that ground a story. Maybe it's all to make a small mystery into a big mystery, or the details really are crazy with multiple and conflicting persepctives, never mind crazy Lars.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2022 12:07 AM

[quote] OP- You only started this thread because this Lars person is good looking.

So, what? There's an awful lot of ugliness in the world (and I'm not talking about people's appearances).

Let's enjoy beauty where we find it.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2022 1:26 AM

R42 - The whole scenario is sketchy af and makes little sense. He could have had a slow brain bleed from the assault that affected his cognition and behaviour, but he’s also the right age for schizophrenia to manifest.

I’ve read that some creepy, not-great things went down at the hotel and with the taxi driver, too (likely people just working together to relieve a tourist of his money and possessions), so he could very well have feared for his life (or those events may have contributed to existing paranoia and psychosis).

I don’t know how dense the forest is where he ran to, but what Europeans consider “forest” and the forest where I live (Vancouver Island) are very different. It would be very easy for a body to remain hidden here, but in more densely populated Europe…? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2022 1:42 AM

R36 and R37 I love the thread idea of competing psychics solve a cold case file. Fucking cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2022 2:35 AM

There are resorts in Bulgaria? I pictured it as a barren wasteland.

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2022 2:40 AM

R42 I wish you lived near me and we could solve mysteries all day. It would start out as part time/ hobby kind of thing but would end up with me quitting my job to focus on cracking one of our bigger cases.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2022 2:40 AM

R46, why would you think that? You are very wrong.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2022 2:43 AM

R42, put all those things together, and I think... drugs. Serious drugs. Of God knows what quality.

Maybe his friends weren't into the same stuff, and weren't aware of what he was up to when he wasn't with them.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2022 2:52 AM

He disappeared into my lair, where I drank his blood. THE END

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2022 3:07 AM

He was kidnapped & smuggled into the Czech Republic, had extensive plastic surgery, & now works as a pornstar. Obvi.

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2022 4:22 AM

Don't wear a football jersey advertising team loyalty at 4AM or you'll get your culo handed to you like this guy.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2022 8:21 AM

He probably didn't want to go back to Germany and resume his caretaking duties.

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2022 8:43 AM

Can we start a thread on the Dallas A gay on the 2nd anniversary of his murder, please?

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2022 9:40 AM

Im thinking drugs too or undiagnosed schizophrenia. Maybe ditched his friends to score drugs or cock. I dont believe he was beat up by 4 guys hired by a bunch of Germans on vacation in a bar in Bulgaria.

I looked up the antibiotic too. Apparently it can cause delerium but it should go away once you stop taking them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2022 2:16 PM

I agree, r55, I always thought he went searching for cock and was bashed for being gay. How that ties in with the airport, I don't know. Drugs had to have been involved.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2022 2:41 PM

[Quote]Once outside, he can be seen on the footage jogging away from the airport, climbing a fence, running into a meadow, and sprinting off camera in the direction of an adjacent forest near Bulgarian national highway A2. These are his last confirmed whereabouts.

Has the German government not searched those woods? His bones are there. Long ago scattered by animals but it only takes one bone fragment to close this case. Meth.

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2022 10:45 PM

[quote]He went and saw a doctor who advised him not to fly due to his injury.... Mittank's friends wanted to stay with him, but he insisted he was fine on his own, and told them to follow the original travel plan and fly home on July 7, which they did.

What kind of friend leaves someone injured and alone for several days in a foreign country? Were they friends or merely friendly acquaintances who traveled together?

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2022 3:16 AM

R58 I agree. I wouldn't leave someone like that. At the very least I'd wait long enough for someone in the sick person's family to arrive. Being in a foreign country can feel super safe and usually is. But you need to watch yourself and if you are too sick to be clear headed, you need oversight from someone who has you best interest at heart.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2022 3:38 AM

It's the busted ear drum that kept him from flying. He needed it repaired as I did after a horse jumping accident.

It's a very strange injury that doesn't allow you to properly hear yourself speak.. It sounds like air/water is rushing through one's ear constantly. Easily repaired though by a decent ENT doc. .

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2022 10:34 AM

^^ affects balance as well.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2022 10:35 AM

Erratic behavior caused by head injury or mental illness. Perished due to the elements after running into the forest. Skeletal remains lying scattered all over the forest floor. Will be found within the next 10 years.

Called it.

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2022 11:00 AM

What do you mean "called it"? He hasn't been found, let alone found in the circumstances you describe.

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2022 11:12 AM

Im confused as to how he was thinking he could fly home on July 8 with a busted ear drum if the doctors said he cant fly home with his friends on the 7th?

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2022 2:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!