Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are recliners tacky

I just want something comfortable in which to watch movies and TV.

by Anonymousreply 122July 10, 2022 10:29 PM

Only if they have built-in cup holders.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2022 4:52 AM

They may be tacky but nothing helps my back like one.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2022 4:54 AM

Who doesn’t watch TV in bed? Only olds use BarcaLoungers.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2022 4:55 AM

Yes but I have one anyway. You can get them with more style than they used to have.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2022 4:58 AM

Yeah, they're tacky, but they're fucking comfortable as hell

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2022 4:59 AM

Recliners aren’t tacky, but questions without question marks are.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2022 5:00 AM

It depends on who is sitting in them...

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2022 5:01 AM

There are some really nice recliners out there now that do not look like recliners & are actually very comfortable. Look beyond Lay-Z- Boy & you will find.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2022 5:08 AM

Some of the nicer ones have bidets.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2022 5:11 AM

Get a Spinemelter 2000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2022 5:12 AM

I think the cheap and ugly ones are tacky. But there’s some really nice ones on the market. I would get one with zero gravity and electric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2022 5:18 AM

I had a black leather Manhattan club chair that was a recliner that I thought was awesome. It looked like a nice chair I’d buy anyway and it didn’t have a swing arm to recline. I got it for playing video games!!

But I got it at Storehouse (which used to be the coolest furniture store. I think they sold Mitchell Gold sofas before they had their own store) but it closed. :(

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2022 5:24 AM

They are hideous and you shouldn’t care. It’s not about the chair, it’s about admitting spend that much time on one, watching Tv. But you do, so just own it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2022 5:25 AM

OP- The more important question is

Is wall to wall carpeting TACKY?

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2022 5:28 AM

I decided I don't give a shit about anyone judging me for my furnishings. If I like and want something, I buy it.

No regrets.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2022 5:35 AM

[quote[If I like and want something, I buy it.

Cheers. OP! Me too!

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2022 5:45 AM

[quote]Some of the nicer ones have bidets.

I've been chuckling about this for an hour.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2022 7:33 AM

Yes they are, but I get it. I don't own one, but volunteered to house sit for a friend who has one. It's like an intoxicant. The Lazy-boy brand is just telling it like it is.

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2022 8:45 AM

I got a Costco one because they’re pretty cute with a modernist look. I suspect the ugly puffy ones are still more comfortable tho.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2022 9:01 AM

R11, those Zero Gravity chairs look exactly like La-Z-Boy recliners. Are they more comfortable? How much do they cost? A La-Z-Boy will cost upwards of $1000 in fabric. $1200 or so in fake leather. $1500 and up in real leather. They are not cheap. Don't even think about a cheap knockoff. The reclining mechanism will break in a year or so.

Anyway, OP, yes, regular La-Z-Boy-type recliners are tacky but addictively comfortable. Get one if you want one. Life is too short to worry about others' opinions.

If you want some style, you can get leather recliners that have a cool mid-century modern look. They're typically leather and typically very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2022 9:16 AM

I haven’t read the other replies yet but yes, OP, recliners are tacky af.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2022 9:20 AM

Often, I watch myself on taped Fox shows from my fainting couch. Then I watch those hot WWF wrestlers.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2022 9:24 AM

What's tacky is worrying about what other people think of furniture they'll likely never see.

by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2022 11:46 AM

You let other people decide what you buy, OP? How sad.

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2022 11:47 AM

If you want a recliner, get a recliner. Recliners aren't "tacky." What an odd question. Any mincing queen who tells someone else what they want is 'tacky' is a very unhappy person, and feels bad about their own life.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2022 11:49 AM

Recliners are fine, some don't even look like recliners. Go for those.

It's the tacky practice of watching TV in bed you have to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2022 11:49 AM

Tacky?

DILLIGAF?

Comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2022 11:55 AM

Tacky doesn't half begin to describe how awful they are.

Next you'll be wearing crocs, sporting polarized wraparound sunglasses redeemed with Winston Rewards Points, and shopping at Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2022 12:04 PM

I have a bad back and they are like a medical bed. But I have never found one that is both comfortable and good looking. They make an entire room look like Archie Bunkers house. Come on- someone needs to make one for the eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2022 1:05 PM

"Next you'll be wearing crocs, sporting polarized wraparound sunglasses redeemed with Winston Rewards Points, and shopping at Wal-Mart. "

Sounds like someone who spends a lot of time in Walmart 🙄

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2022 1:09 PM

Sounds like someone sexy to me.

The whole “not a fuck to give” attitude is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2022 1:11 PM

Of course not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2022 1:32 PM

I've never had one, because I do think they look tacky. I know there are some that don't look like recliners, I may look into getting one.

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2022 1:46 PM

I can’t imagine the mindset of not having an exceptionally comfortable piece of furniture because someone may consider it tacky.

Are you trying for the cover of House Beautiful or trying to be comfortable in your own home?

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2022 2:27 PM

Why is that chair so fucking ugly?

Ah, I see, it's a recliner.

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2022 2:29 PM

I bought a leather power recliner and it is amazing. Do not get a poofy fabric one, those look ugly & dated.

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2022 2:41 PM

After I shattered my hip during a fall, when I came home I couldn't sleep in a flat bed. My husband got me a recliner which I would sleep on until I could get back in my regular bed. I love this recliner. Even now, if I can't sleep, I'll come into the living room, sit in this chair, and I'm out. Screw other people and what they think. You're furnishing the house for you, not other people. Put what you want in it

by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2022 2:52 PM

^Truth.

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2022 2:55 PM

I come from a Middle American suburban background where everybody had a living room, where you entertained guests and had the nice furniture, and a den where you kept the comfortable furniture. A recliner is fine in a den situation or if you're living in a small casual space where you're not out to impress anybody anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote] I come from a Middle American suburban background where everybody had a living room, where you entertained guests and had the nice furniture, and a den where you kept the comfortable furniture. A recliner is fine in a den situation or if you're living in a small casual space where you're not out to impress anybody anyway.

R39 is Francine Fishpaw reporting from her lovely suburban Baltimore home in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2022 4:46 PM

Do any of you have suggestions for an armchair that's comfortable for short people? I'm talking barely over five ft. tall. No bidet necessary.

by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2022 4:50 PM

R41 they make child sized furniture.

Get yourself a swinging rocker recliner and be comfortable as hell.

by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2022 4:52 PM

Very tacky, OP.

But get one if you want it.

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2022 4:53 PM

I love mine. It's not tacky, it's just comfortable. At my age it's all that counts!

by Anonymousreply 44July 9, 2022 4:54 PM

My living room has been form over function for as long as I can remember. I love the room because it’s sunny, bright I have a view into my back yard and I like it’s decor.

However, I never used the room because t didn’t want to ruin my leather couch or some hard to replace chairs. That changed during COVID lockdowns. I needed to LIVE in my house.

I got rid of a couple things and put out a recliner I had found previously and never used. It changed my life, no joke. the living room is nice to be in now and my dog loves my lap— I read more and I have my French doors open with breezes and sunshine. It was an inexpensive purchase, one-off from HomeGoods. Do I think it’s tacky? Yes. But the difference it made in my life is silly good.

I linked a pic, but mine is beige.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 9, 2022 5:16 PM

R45 that chair is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2022 5:27 PM

[quote]and I like it’s decor.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2022 5:29 PM

My TV is in the basement, so what do I care?

by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2022 5:32 PM

Sitting with your feet and knees above your hips is good he's good for your back and your circulation

by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2022 5:33 PM

My brother has something like this plus a double so it's 3 recliners and a chaise. It's very BA first class, my niece pushes around the bar cart and gives out peanuts. Buy whatever makes you happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2022 5:34 PM

I'm glad most of us agree on this. I came here to say yes, they are tacky looking but there is no way to get that feel with a nicer piece of furniture. You have to decide if it's a trade off you want. Obviously a lot of people feel the comfort is worth it. No judgement either way.

by Anonymousreply 51July 9, 2022 5:37 PM

I like you, r51. You sound like someone who’s reasonable and fun.

And r50, I like the look of that, but I hate leather seating. I don’t even have leather in my car, which was quite a hassle to NOT get, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 52July 9, 2022 7:53 PM

They weigh a ton, are hard to move (moving parts), and have a huge footprint (b/c they recline and expand).

That said, they're comfortable and you can sleep on them, if necessary.

The downside is that you can no longer be pretentious if someone sees the recliner in your living room. You're now "down to earth." Your guests will picture you, reclined, in that chair, with your reading glasses and whatnot.

However, so what. It's your house, your comfort.

by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2022 8:09 PM

[quote]Your guests will picture you, reclined, in that chair, with your reading glasses and whatnot.

In your unnerbritches.

by Anonymousreply 54July 9, 2022 8:15 PM

At some point you choose comfort over fashion.

by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2022 8:27 PM

They are if you spill soda on them.

by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2022 8:37 PM

Fuck you guys, you made me decide to buy a recliner. This is the one I chose. Tell me what you think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 9, 2022 8:40 PM

R57 I have a recliner with faux leather covering, and it doesn't take up much space. It has a metal swivel base, and it looks like a desk chair.

by Anonymousreply 58July 9, 2022 9:06 PM

I take it, you don't like my choice then, R58? :)

I want something soft where I can snuggle.

by Anonymousreply 59July 9, 2022 9:09 PM

After a certain age they are not tacky. I’m assuming you are an elder gay?

by Anonymousreply 60July 9, 2022 9:24 PM

Can’t you get genuine naugahyde anymore? Are naugas endangered?

by Anonymousreply 61July 9, 2022 10:03 PM

I bought a leather swedish design IMG recliner about 12 years ago and it's really a very nice comfortable chair to watch TV in. I hate the usual recliner look and found this particular brand at a local furniture store in Charlottesville, VA (The Artful Lodger). It was a custom order based on style, leather choice availability. I paid about 1,300.00 for it back then but they are now over 2K depending on various factors. The chair rocks, swivels and reclines. It has a height adjustable headrest that also tilts to provide the utmost comfort. I've attached a link to a similar design as the exact style I have is no longer available. The only difference is the design of the seat back and bottom cushion and the color (red leather). I have the chair in my bedroom and usually watch TV in there before tucking in the for night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 9, 2022 10:07 PM

This isn’t tacky, but costly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 9, 2022 10:16 PM

This is a mission style recliner from La-Z Boy. It can be upholstered in about a 300 different materials.

Another time when recliners are indispensable is when you catch certain strains of the flu that have you coughing non-stop, and it's especially acute when you are sleeping horizontally in a bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 9, 2022 10:27 PM

Lol. I’m going to get one tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 65July 9, 2022 10:33 PM

R59 it depends on the size of the room and the furnishing. The one I described at R58 could really fit in any room and can be easily moved around; it's lightweight. It's sleek and modern looking.

by Anonymousreply 66July 9, 2022 10:47 PM

R57: that is the Humvee of recliners!

by Anonymousreply 67July 9, 2022 10:51 PM

I have a Stickley recliner. Comfy and stylish.

by Anonymousreply 68July 9, 2022 10:55 PM

Like this, except mine is green fabric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 9, 2022 11:00 PM

You have something already. It’s called a bed. Just get an array of different sized pillows and build a nest for your neck.

by Anonymousreply 70July 10, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote]I have a Stickley recliner.

I have a sticky recliner.

by Anonymousreply 71July 10, 2022 12:24 AM

Of course recliners aren’t tacky. Provided they’re done in a nice fabric, not some wannabe Nestlé Coco Chanel froo froo crap.

by Anonymousreply 72July 10, 2022 12:27 AM

R70, that's pretty much what I did. I got a wedge pillow, but had to supplement it with another pillow (for my head). Not a big deal. Very comfortable. Plus, I have another pillow to put under my legs

by Anonymousreply 73July 10, 2022 12:45 AM

Yes. Next question. I am an interior designer who LOATHES them. The ratio of well-designed ones is 1/100. Buy what you want, but they are usually tacky as FUCK. That being said, I bought the husband and I a pair from FB Marketplace. The woman selling them paid 7k for the pair about 15 years ago. The leather is deliciously worn (something most people object to) I can spec them new for the pair around 10k. I got them for $250 for the pair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 10, 2022 1:34 AM

Interior designers are the worst swindlers in the known universe.

by Anonymousreply 75July 10, 2022 2:21 AM

A TV in the living room is tacky so you’re already past that hurdle. Get yourself a comfortable recliner.

by Anonymousreply 76July 10, 2022 2:26 AM

Can you get a good one for around 500?

by Anonymousreply 77July 10, 2022 2:36 AM

Yes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 78July 10, 2022 3:21 AM

I ordered one about 3 years ago. It was from Southern Motion. It is the most comfortable chair that I ever set in. It is electric. I have been very happy with it. Great afternoon naps!

by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2022 3:30 AM

You get what you pay for, R75. No, You cannot new, R77. Think for a moment. Most products, regardless of what they are, are marked up are 2 to 3 times the cost of wholesale. That is the price paid from a manufacturer. A retail price for a $500 dollar recliner is at best 200 dollars. The manufacturer had to make his mark up. Do you really think you want a recliner that cost 100 dollars to make?

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2022 3:33 AM

R69, it looks OK, but wooden arms? How comfortable can that be, especially if you are, as I am at this moment, using a laptop and resting your arms on the chair arms?

A bed is not a recliner, R70. There is no combination of pillows in the world that can support your back, neck, arms and knees like a recliner - and the pillows will keep shifting around. Also, it's bad for healthy sleeping to use the bed for reading and TV watching. I want to get into a nice, cool, crisply turned-down bed when it's time to go to sleep, not some hot, wrinkled mess I've been sitting in for hours.

by Anonymousreply 81July 10, 2022 10:12 AM

I have one but it's too comfortable I get so relaxed I fall asleep when I sit in it.

by Anonymousreply 82July 10, 2022 10:33 AM

R17...The bidet comment keeps cracking me up, too...lol.

by Anonymousreply 83July 10, 2022 10:53 AM

Home is about comfort...not always style. Live it up!

by Anonymousreply 84July 10, 2022 10:59 AM

There is such a huge selection of recliners now, many of them are understated and don't even look like recliners until you actually recline.

by Anonymousreply 85July 10, 2022 11:06 AM

tablemates...tacky??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 10, 2022 11:20 AM

Here are some very nice ones... I hope the link works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 10, 2022 11:40 AM

Various styles..^^

by Anonymousreply 88July 10, 2022 11:44 AM

I find the traditionally shaped recliners to be...not my style.

Some makers have made different styles of chairs into recliners but something about them doesn't look right.

I prefer a chair and foot stool combination aesthetically.

I have seen some sofas with built-in recliner features that look OK, though still a bit off my style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 10, 2022 12:07 PM

I prefer this combo aesthetically to a La-Z-Boy type traditional recliner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 10, 2022 12:08 PM

I find the traditionally shaped recliners to be...not my style.

Some makers have made different styles of chairs into recliners but something about them doesn't look right.

I prefer a chair and foot stool combination aesthetically.

I have seen some sofas with built-in recliner features that look OK, though still a bit off my style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 10, 2022 12:09 PM

You're not going to find one featured in Architectural Digest if that is what you are asking OP.

But if you like them and spend a lot of time in one watching TV, then get one.

I do not understand why you would let the possibility that some shallow person would judge you for having a recliner stop you from getting one.

You eldergays want to be "upper class"? Stop caring so much about what other people think about you and your possessions.

by Anonymousreply 92July 10, 2022 12:25 PM

R92 You're assuming everyone's tastes are contingent upon others' opinions.

I really don't care what people think of my style (for the most part—one note about that to come). I live alone and don't have a lot of houseguests. Blame it on my being a Taurus if one must, but I do take a lot of care to 'curate' my home environment. I also paint and draw using a lot of color and varying styles, and I have an aesthetic that ranges between Midcentury Modern and contemporary-traditional, and traditional recliners just don't have any visual appeal for me. It's "important" (not really important, but something I pay a lot of attention to when I am alone, which is most of the time) that the little world I've made for myself relates to my sensibilities.

Re the caveat above, the one area in which I do care what people think of my style is when people assume I will have great taste, presumably because I am a gay man. The old facilities manager at my job asked me constantly when we were moving offices to make recommendations for paint, flooring, lighting, etc. I felt profiled as a gay man, but I also kept reminding her gay men don't inherently have good taste. I think I have pretty good taste but I also have a lot of eccentricities particularly with the use of color, and what appeals to me certainly would not be everyone's cuppa, or appropriate for an office environment unless people want an office full of a particular personality.

by Anonymousreply 93July 10, 2022 12:36 PM

[quote]That being said, I bought the husband and I a pair

As pretentious as you are, you’d think you would know proper grammar.

by Anonymousreply 94July 10, 2022 12:37 PM

r81 -- See this Stickley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 10, 2022 12:39 PM

[quote]I live alone and don't have a lot of houseguests. Blame it on my being a Taurus if one must,

This “one” blames it on you being a snobby twat.

by Anonymousreply 96July 10, 2022 12:39 PM

R95, aesthetically that’s very pleasing, but that back looks very straight and rigid to me. I don’t know if it would be comfortable when not used as a recliner.

It is VERY nice looking though.

by Anonymousreply 97July 10, 2022 12:40 PM

R12, I still have that same chair from Storehouse. It's very comfortable and doesn't scream 'recliner!'

When Storehouse went down they took some of their suppliers with them, including the company who made all those bookcases Storehouse used to sell. Ikea bookcases just don't compare.

by Anonymousreply 98July 10, 2022 12:43 PM

This is a recliner and I love the look. It's the only recliner I have seen that I actually really like versus just tolerating because it is a recliner. It's not cheap, though, and it's somewhere between contemporary, traditional, casual and formal. It's probably not for everyone. But it's so much nicer looking to me than a standard old easy chair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 10, 2022 12:43 PM

And a non-tufted leather version of the chair above. The tufting is what makes it look so nice. I'm not as wild about this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 10, 2022 12:44 PM

Did R93 actually respond to my post or just use it as a jumping off point to humble brag about his design skills?

by Anonymousreply 101July 10, 2022 12:49 PM

I have this mid-century recliner sofa-I love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 10, 2022 12:58 PM

LOL R101 I did not mean to "humble brag" about my "design skills." I have no design skills. I like my decorating aesthetic (it's mine; why wouldn't I?), but what I meant to say is that I think it is particular to me and whether or not others think it's tasteful, I don't care. It works for me and it's important to me in a kind of way. And I say that just to suggest I think others probably are similar. They may not really care what others think but still have a kind of pride or at least comfort in the aesthetic they cultivate for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 103July 10, 2022 1:00 PM

?? The thread is about OP worrying about whether to get a recliner becomes people might find them tacky

by Anonymousreply 104July 10, 2022 1:03 PM

I bought two gorgeous leather recliners. The weird thing is I never used them, preferring my couch instead. I ultimately gave them both to my friends.

by Anonymousreply 105July 10, 2022 1:09 PM

r102 that is a nice sofa but are in you in Australia?

by Anonymousreply 106July 10, 2022 1:25 PM

102 here, yes I am. But I can’t believe that there aren’t more recliners in various styles that aren’t a hideous embarrassment….definitely a gap in the market

by Anonymousreply 107July 10, 2022 1:36 PM

Sofabeds are also weirdly either entirely characterless or else just plain ugly. I figure both they and recliners must need to be ugly because of the internal mechanics.

by Anonymousreply 108July 10, 2022 1:43 PM

r107 ok I've been shopping online for furniture and notice that a lot of the well designed stuff is in Australia. NOT FAIR 😑

by Anonymousreply 109July 10, 2022 1:43 PM

To be fair, the Austalian markets have ready access to the kangaroo tendons needed to make spring-action recliners. They are hard to come by in North America.

by Anonymousreply 110July 10, 2022 1:47 PM

R94, thank you for pointing out my error, and my pretension only exists in your head.

by Anonymousreply 111July 10, 2022 1:56 PM

[quote]Austalian markets have ready access to the kangaroo tendons needed to make spring-action recliners.

Ewwwww.

by Anonymousreply 112July 10, 2022 2:04 PM

With home theaters the rage recliners are just the thing. It depends more on what you watch which decides if you are tacky or not.

by Anonymousreply 113July 10, 2022 2:18 PM

Only chavs, bogans and white trash watch television in bed.

by Anonymousreply 114July 10, 2022 2:31 PM

What about just getting a really good ottoman. I've always wanted a large, square or rectangular ottoman, the kind you can put a tray of snacks on and still have room for your legs.

by Anonymousreply 115July 10, 2022 4:24 PM

Yeah, ottomans make any seat a potential recliner and they are good for other things, including standing on as a small step stool if you need one.

by Anonymousreply 116July 10, 2022 4:27 PM

R115, you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 117July 10, 2022 4:34 PM

R81 is right on the money.

by Anonymousreply 118July 10, 2022 4:59 PM

Why exactly are people calling them tacky? What am I missing here, folks?

by Anonymousreply 119July 10, 2022 10:12 PM

Watch Frasier, R119

by Anonymousreply 120July 10, 2022 10:23 PM

One character on a popular tv show taints them 30 years later for 330 million people?

by Anonymousreply 121July 10, 2022 10:27 PM

As long as you have your recliner(s) tucked away in your dedicated home theater, you should be okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 10, 2022 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!