Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Obituary: Evil Does Eventually Die

Lawrence H Pfaff Sr. was born in Belmont, NY, on April 16, 1941. He passed away on June 27, 2022, living a long life, much longer than he deserved. He is survived by his three children, no four. Oops, five children. Well as of 2022 we believe there is one more that we know about, but there could be more. His love was abundant when it came to himself, but for his children it was limited. From a young age, he was a ladies' man and an abusive alcoholic, solidifying his commitment to both with the path of destruction he left behind, damaging his adult children, and leaving them broken.

Lawrence, Sr's hobbies included abusing his first wife and children. He loved to start projects but never followed through on any of them. He enjoyed the life of a bar fly for many years and had a quaint little living space, studio, above his favorite hole in the wall, the club Nashville.

Lawrence, Sr. did spend over 20 years in the NYPD, but even his time in service was negligent at best. Because of his alcohol addiction, his Commanding Officer took away his gun and badge, replacing them with a broom until he could get his act together.

Lawrence, Sr. did claim to be clean and sober for over thirty years, but never worked any of the twelve steps, including the eighth and ninth steps with his children, making amends. He possesses no redeeming qualities for his children, including the ones he knew, and the "ones he knew about.”

It will be challenging to miss Lawrence, Sr. because he was narcissistic. He was incapable of love. Lawrence, Sr.'s passing proves that evil does eventually die, and it marks a time of healing, which will allow his children to get the closure they deserve. Lawrence, Sr. can be remembered for being a father to many, and a dad to none.

Posted online on July 02, 2022

Published in Florida Times Union

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 8, 2022 5:31 PM

Wow. So evenly stated, no rancor or damning disrespect. Just the truth, as experienced by those he most damaged.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2022 12:59 PM

I accept it's true, I think it's in poor taste.

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2022 1:01 PM

I bet millions of obituaries, if truthful, would be similar. I often wonder what the fake sweet obituaries are really concealing.

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2022 1:05 PM

Father to many, dad to none. Yes, say it. No more of these false praises to deceased douches

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2022 1:06 PM

If he claimed to be 30 years sober that probably went over like a lead balloon in his AA meeting especially if it were a straight men's AA meeting. I've ran into a few like this in such meetings. I'm sure he held forth as an "old-timer" and was probably abusive there to anyone who didn't respect him.

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2022 1:06 PM

Lawrence H Pfaff Jr was the author of the Obituary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2022 1:07 PM

You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good … Lawrence H. Pfaff, Sr., is dead. Good!

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2022 1:10 PM

My wife and I have discussed ending her dad's otherwise straightforward obituary with "A celebration of death will be held..." to amuse those closest to him.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2022 1:10 PM

... For reasons well known to him

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2022 1:10 PM

[quote] Evil Does Eventually Die

Hell I could’ve told you that back in 1996!

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2022 1:11 PM

I prepared & submitted my father’s obituary, later teasing my gullible mother that it said he was survived by “his long-suffering wife.”

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2022 1:13 PM

Who knows if it’s true. The man isn’t here to defend himself.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2022 1:15 PM

[quote]I often wonder what the fake sweet obituaries are really concealing.

A supervisor I had during a shitty college job was a dumb, hateful, racist, homophobic, lying, cheating scumbag. He died of COVID about 6 months ago and his obituary was all "he was the most generous man who would give you the shirt off his back" sorts of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2022 1:15 PM

@r12, Yeah, all his rotten kids must of had it in for him. I bet they all fight over that studio and that half-bottle of vodka he left 😠

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2022 1:18 PM

his father was an abuser, a NYC cop, and an alcoholic. that pretty much says it all.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2022 1:20 PM

The deceased had a smile that could light up a room.

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2022 1:20 PM

I don't see the point in posting obituaries like this. I'm sure he was awful and a total failure as a father, husband and as a human being left them all damaged, but they could've just acted like he was of no matter anymore.

I also feel the same about revisionist history obituaries. Just post a brief obituary and don't try and make someone out to be a great person if they weren't.

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2022 1:23 PM

The deceased was an alcoholic and will be cremated... Although it may take a week to put out the fire 🙄

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2022 1:24 PM

Never say anything bad about the dead, only good. Daddy is dead...

GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2022 1:26 PM

At least he got an obituary, I'll never get one because I have no one.

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2022 1:27 PM

R20: Write your own and give it to the undertaker. They'll take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2022 1:31 PM

This obit replenishes my electrolytes.

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2022 1:32 PM

r17 the writer said it started a healing process for him. I see nothing wrong with it and maybe it will encourage some people to be better so they don't have an obituary like that. I hate most obituaries because they are full of lies and the writers have to struggle with writing something nice. I was thinking about writing my own obituary, "I died on ___. I left behind _____ who will eventually follow me. I did the best I could and I thank everyone that helped me along the way."

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2022 1:36 PM

Who cares what the obit says, the man didn't give a shit when he was alive, he certainly doesn't give a shit now

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2022 1:39 PM

[quote]all his rotten kids must of had it in for him.

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2022 1:41 PM

R23 if I deserve a ‘MARY!!!’ for this, then so be it, but I choked up.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2022 1:42 PM

[quote]At least he got an obituary, I'll never get one because I have no one.

Yes you do. You’ve got us here.

Just let us know when you die and we’ll post a beautiful obit for you.

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2022 1:42 PM

R19 couldn’t even make it to r7.

SMH.

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2022 1:43 PM

^ Yeah, too bad 😠

by Anonymousreply 29July 7, 2022 1:45 PM

@r25, "Oh, DEAR! "

Must you use caps my *dear*? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2022 1:47 PM

For something that egregious, absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2022 1:49 PM

R23 There could be other ways he could heal. Like connecting with siblings and other people he wronged of the years (probably no shortage of them) and talk about their feelings and their relief no longer having to deal with him. I suspect he has some of the same traits his father had though. As much as he wouldn't want to admit that.

I do agree with you about fake and try to make people seem like they're better people they were though.

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2022 1:52 PM

If this helped the son, fine. It is in poor taste but so what. I pity the son.

by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2022 1:53 PM

@r31 Oh, so it's like when I call out your SMALL PENIS? Got it 😏

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2022 1:53 PM

He's stuck with the asshole's name too.

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2022 2:01 PM

Me neither, r20.

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2022 2:04 PM

I guessnthose lamenting that there'll be no obituary written for them subscribe to the PT Barnum quote that “There's only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” And that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2022 2:10 PM

They could have confronted him while he was alive, seems rather chickenshit to bring it up after he is dead. Perhaps the apple didnt fall far from its tree.

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2022 2:14 PM

How do you know they didn't, r38? I think it's more likely they did.

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2022 2:15 PM

If they did there would be no need to trumpet it to the world.

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2022 2:16 PM

I don't want am obit. Private in life, private in death.

by Anonymousreply 41July 7, 2022 2:19 PM

I'm amazed at the people/person who thinks the children shouldn't have written this obituary the way they have. Why? He obviously deserved it. It's clearly the truth. As someone else said, it will serve as a warning to other assholes that they may get bad posthumous reviews too.

I fully believe that if people knew there would be consequences, they wouldn't dare be as shitty as they are. Or at least some of them. The obit was well deserved. I say this as the adult child of such parents. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

by Anonymousreply 42July 7, 2022 2:21 PM

I had a narcissist boyfriend, and that was bad enough. I can't imagine what it would be like to have one as a father. Narcissists do a lot of damage to the people in their life, good for this man's children for calling it out.

by Anonymousreply 43July 7, 2022 2:22 PM

Also, as a descendant of such parents, I find hope in the phrase "Evil does eventually die".

by Anonymousreply 44July 7, 2022 2:23 PM

I think it’s poor taste. The son seems to be as much of an asshole as the father. Why not piss on his grave?

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2022 2:24 PM

"If they did there would be no need to trumpet it to the world."

You haven't had a lot of life experience, have you r38/40?

by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2022 2:24 PM

We don't follow social mores and behave morally to maintain the good opinions of our parents, but to deserve that of our children.

by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2022 2:26 PM

^^^^ take your meds !

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2022 2:26 PM

R45 has no idea what it's like to have a narcissistic parent.

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2022 2:27 PM

For these types of vile humans, how about no obituary at all?

No obituary speaks volumes about how these people were viewed by their survivors.

Several horrible family members didn't have obituaries. One relative, didn't have anyone but their wife show up for their wake, their kids and grandkids weren't even there! The wife said, "if he didn't have a free government grave, he would have been cremated!"

by Anonymousreply 50July 7, 2022 2:33 PM

Is that image at R6 a photo of the dead man, or of his son who wrote the obit? And why does that image appear with the link in R6 but not in the article itself?

by Anonymousreply 51July 7, 2022 2:34 PM

You can never be careful enough in choosing your parents.

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2022 2:34 PM

I'm with R50. I don't find hating the guy distasteful but rather the parading of your wounded feelings in public. It's just gross to me. If it starts them on their healing journey or whatever bullshit, fill your boots, but I'd rather maintain some dignity. It's all very TV talkshow to me. I was raised you didn't talk about unpleasant things in public and if you couldn't handle that you did the right thing and developed a drinking problem.

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2022 2:37 PM

Meh, I don’t see this as particularly disrespectful. His kids knew him better than anyone, and they’re just reiterating that the man was an abusive asshole.

Hopefully, they made their feelings clear before he kicked the bucket.

Being a decent father who doesn’t abuse his family isn’t too much to ask. But some men can’t do that, so I understand why his surviving children spoke their peace.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2022 2:39 PM

No! The evil people must be called out! It's not in poor taste, it's the responsible thing to do. Maybe their friends anx coworkers didn't know who this person was behind the scenes? They deserve to know. Evil only thrives when good people stay quiet about it because of "good taste". Fuck good taste!

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2022 2:40 PM

And dead men respond to calling out how exactly?

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2022 2:43 PM

Sometimes evil people that are hurtful to you and those you love, show a different side to the rest of the world. Oftentimes that facade is calculated.

Not knowing of their truly evil personality, the outsiders will laud the evil person and have a false sense of what they are really like.

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2022 2:51 PM

Anyone who would do that is no walk in the park themselves. If you couldn’t get over your trauma, then why hold daddy responsible for not getting over his trauma? It’s called a generational curse and it appears Junior is continuing it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 7, 2022 2:52 PM

R58 talking about the trauma someone else caused for everyone around them has nothing to do with perpetuating it.

You have no idea how the son or any siblings treats anyone, not how far along they are on working on breaking the cycle.

by Anonymousreply 59July 7, 2022 2:54 PM

R59 hurt people hurt people… now take your meds, darling

by Anonymousreply 60July 7, 2022 3:02 PM

I found the obit funny and I am sure the son who wrote it felt avenged after years of dealing with a shitty parent however I think it’s in poor taste to publish an obituary like this and in my opinion it’s best not to say anything if you can’t say anything nice. In the end the best revenge is not acknowledging their existence.

by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2022 3:03 PM

Just not here, R61. Else it would never be primetime and there'd be nothing to say.

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2022 3:04 PM

These men who are such utter failures in every way— no professional accomplishments, terrible husband, terrible father, alcoholic— how do they get through the day? I still torture myself because I could have done better, and my life is pretty great.

Yet you have people like this guy and my own father who almost seem to invent new ways of being utter failures. How do they get through the day?

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2022 3:05 PM

The big problem is evil does tend to live long before dying.

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2022 3:17 PM

I bet the obituary doesn't even get to half of it.

by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2022 3:17 PM

[quote] I think it’s in poor taste to publish an obituary like this and in my opinion it’s best not to say anything if you can’t say anything nice.

Um, Okay, Miss Manners.

Let's just lie and say how great they were....

by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2022 3:18 PM

Telling the truth is never in bad taste

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2022 3:18 PM

I'm glad the son wrote that obit about his asshole dad. Do what I did after I got out of foster care, change my entire name, picked a new one. When I found out my dad wasn't my "bio-DNA Dad", I was sooooo Happy!! My non-DNA dad preyed on weaker, scared people. When I returned home at 17 yrs old, he took 1 look at me, knew I was going to be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2022 3:43 PM

It is in super bad taste. It is one on a long list of gifts from 45. Even death no longer has any sacredness.

YES the dad was a POS. But as others said, keep it to your fucking self in his obit!!! Deal. As if he’s the only son ever shit on by a bad father? If we all use obits to discuss our wounds, we’ve now made it all about us and we would never read about the person who actually died.

This does not mean I don’t have compassion for the son. My own father died of drinking. But processing my pain shouldn’t happen at his funeral or obit. There is a time and a fucking place for that. Peace to the son though, hopefully he found some healing. He needs to go get serious therapy now and dig deep into his pain.

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2022 3:44 PM

I don't know about your father, R63, but if this Mr. Pfaff were truly evil, then it was easy for him to get through his day. Evil has no conscience. Unlike mentally ill or emotionally damaged people, evil people understand the difference between right and wrong. They just don't care. Nothing troubles them.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2022 3:48 PM

I think I understand the people who say "this should've been kept private." They just don't want to know about other people's suffering and think it's on the victims to deal with the trauma because otherwise... simple morals would demand of them to make a stance, to condemn the abuser and help the victim. And they don't want to. It's just simple human selfiishness and what I call "laziness of the compassion."

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2022 3:51 PM

Take a stance, ugh^

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2022 3:52 PM

[quote] They could have confronted him while he was alive, seems rather chickenshit to bring it up after he is dead. Perhaps the apple didnt fall far from its tree.

How do you know they didn't? You're making lots of assumptions here, and as a result you sound pretty nasty yourself.

by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2022 3:52 PM

[quote] Even death no longer has any sacredness.

Mary, do not SAY so! The very IDEA!

by Anonymousreply 74July 7, 2022 3:55 PM

If you hate your parent, don’t write an obituary. Obviously you’re not having a funeral for them, so what’s the point of an obituary, except to let everyone know s/he hurt your feelings? Seriously, you’re a grownup. You should’ve made a life for yourself. The best way to acknowledge your parent was mean to you is to not inform anyone he or she is dead. That way you get satisfaction in not acknowledging their life or death and you don’t have to give them a funeral.

Writing a whiny, woe is me obituary just makes everyone say, “No wonder his father rejected him. Douche.”

by Anonymousreply 75July 7, 2022 3:56 PM

"At least he got an obituary, I'll never get one because I have no one."

Shall we refer to you as R20 when we write your obit?

by Anonymousreply 76July 7, 2022 3:59 PM

This is not whining, R75. It's the cold, hard truth. Truth needs to be told, ESPECIALLY when it's unpleasant.

Anyway, would you please explain why you are SO against obituaries like this one? Overbearing mommy who died and you didn't have the balls to call her out on her shit? Amirite?

by Anonymousreply 77July 7, 2022 4:00 PM

[quote] Writing a whiny, woe is me obituary just makes everyone say, “No wonder his father rejected him. Douche.”

Obviously not "everyone," since many of us applaud the son for doing this.

I am so curious why this is upsetting some of you so very much. Lawrence Pfaff, Sr., is dead and so he cannot read the obituary nor deal with the fall-out, so I'm wondering whom this really hurts, since it sounds like the children all agreed with its publication.

by Anonymousreply 78July 7, 2022 4:01 PM

My father and his wife are both 79 years old. I haven’t seen them in 3 years and am in no rush to do so now that covid is less of a problem. I know it’s quite possible they will die soon, but just can’t bring myself to care.

I accidentally FaceTimed my dad on Fathers Day (long story) and he was sitting alone in a dark room watching tv. His idiot wife was in another dark room, watching tv. For about half a second, I felt a little sorry for him. Then I realized they’re both happy as can be. They WANT to be sitting in separate dark rooms watching Fox News. They will never experience any consequences for anything.

And I’m sure it will be a shit show when they die.

by Anonymousreply 79July 7, 2022 4:07 PM

Bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 7, 2022 5:26 PM

'bye, Felicia!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 7, 2022 5:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 7, 2022 5:32 PM

I have just the funeral for him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 7, 2022 5:55 PM

R79 here. I should have added that my rant is slightly relevant to the thread because the author of the scathing obit maybe also felt frustrated that dear old dad never suffered any consequences in life.

Hence, the obit.

by Anonymousreply 84July 7, 2022 6:04 PM

The maiden aunt brigade has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 85July 7, 2022 6:09 PM

R79

Just went through that scenario. Keep your eye on your father's wife if he dies first.

by Anonymousreply 86July 7, 2022 6:23 PM

r37 : "the PT Barnum quote that 'There's only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.'

Oscar Wilde.

by Anonymousreply 87July 7, 2022 6:24 PM

[quote] At least he got an obituary, I'll never get one because I have no one.

This is going to come off as mean and I really don't intend it to be but obituaries are to inform the public of your passing, if you have no one then no one needs informed about your passing. If it is that important to you, prearrange your funeral and include your obituary.

I have instructed my beneficiary that I want no obituary, anyone close will know I died, people who just know of me or relatives I haven't heard from in years don't need to know I passed. I don't wish to sadden those who liked me or give joy to those who didn't.

by Anonymousreply 88July 7, 2022 8:10 PM

Sadly, obituaries will soon become a thing of the past.

As someone who's done genealogical research they've been an invaluable help. But now obits are considered ads, not a public service, and they cost a THOUSAND dollars in some cases. I think even death notices cost money now, too.

by Anonymousreply 89July 7, 2022 8:17 PM

I want an obituary so I can include a photo that will result in an idolatry DL thread.

by Anonymousreply 90July 7, 2022 8:17 PM

Most obituaries nowadays are like NYTs wedding reports, so cringey that they induce nausea. Finally, one that says the truth!

by Anonymousreply 91July 7, 2022 8:46 PM

As I get older, I stumble across the obituaries of many of my childhood friends’ parents. It makes me so sad as I really looked up to many of them.

by Anonymousreply 92July 7, 2022 8:50 PM

R78, you ask a fair question, I am one of those who is bothered by this.

I guess to me, somehow in the deepest part of my brain, I equate this type of behavior with the disintegration of the few remaining “good” parts of America. No, I am not a MAGAT — our country has not lived up to its promises ever, but I don’t know if we will ever “get there”. Maybe the idea of America lies completely in the idea that we *aspire* to the highest interpretation of freedom and liberty, but that there will never be a time we fully self-actualize? I’m talking on almost a spiritual level. When I see such personal stuff shared in such a public way for a public notice that has a totally different purpose, it just reminds me that we no longer value ANY privacy, and that the message seems to be, “my pain is only real when I publicly process it.” I am one of the most-private people you’ll ever meet, all my good-byes are Irish good-byes, even on the phone or in-person. I’m broken that way. I post nothing on sm, except to occasionally troll MAGATS. No one knows shit about me and I am hard to find, I try to leave a minimal digital footprint, I have multiple id’s in different last names from a marriage. When I die, I’m perfectly content just disappearing and just having husband dump my ashes into Lake Michigan.

I’m not bragging about any of this, surely it is a sign of my age (50), and I am definitely wise enough to know that I’ve likely got it all twisted. If you would care to sell me on viewing this in a more positive light, I would welcome that chance to see that this is a good thing for society (no snark). I am seeing all the negative, maybe there are more positives?

by Anonymousreply 93July 8, 2022 4:00 AM

^ The "positives" for this kind of obit is the same "positives" for any type of funeral or wake. We all know the dead don't care, they're dead. So, anything postmortem is a celebration/healing for the living. This family chose this obit as their way of dealing with the death of their horrible father. I admire their honesty and hope it helps with the healing

by Anonymousreply 94July 8, 2022 4:13 AM

Good for him. The more we call out scum, the better. And R71 you're right on the money.

by Anonymousreply 95July 8, 2022 4:18 AM

The obit, if true, is not in poor taste AT ALL. The kids said what they felt in their hearts, No Bullshit, and the man is dead. Good riddance to what seems like a waste of a human life. It's tragic ever more so than sad. I hope his children and family are able to move forward with peace.

by Anonymousreply 96July 8, 2022 4:28 AM

So many men of that generation are just A-OK with being unremitting pieces of shit. I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 97July 8, 2022 4:36 AM

R84, good point. And also, another purpose that might be served by an obit like this is to make people who were wronged by the dead man feel better in knowing that others -- including the man's own children -- recognized the man was a POS.

by Anonymousreply 98July 8, 2022 2:55 PM

Funnily enough, the reason I wouldn't do this (as a survivor of parental narcissistic abuse - yes, FRAU alert!) is that I've so thoroughly absorbed my father's insistence that you don't talk about these things in public. I still don't fault the son, though.

by Anonymousreply 99July 8, 2022 3:20 PM

I wouldn’t want to give my enemies the satisfaction of knowing I had a rough life. But then, I’m a shallow bitch.

by Anonymousreply 100July 8, 2022 3:23 PM

But you sexy af, so, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 101July 8, 2022 3:54 PM

R71 I adore you for writing that.

by Anonymousreply 102July 8, 2022 4:04 PM

After reading through this thread I can't help but think of all the scathing obits that will be written about Trump... The sooner the better 🙂

by Anonymousreply 103July 8, 2022 4:08 PM

[quote] After reading through this thread I can't help but think of all the scathing obits that will be written about Trump

I remember the phalanx of former cabinet members at GHW Bush's funeral. I'm not expecting such an impressive display of respect for the fallen Trump.

by Anonymousreply 104July 8, 2022 5:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!