Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeopardy! #31: Daily Discussion

Discuss each day's episode of Jeopardy! here.

by Anonymousreply 356September 16, 2022 12:50 AM

Link to the previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2022 8:21 PM

I hope they soon have an entire category on the “Age of Diana Ross.”

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2022 11:33 PM

I realize this has been an unusually busy 12 months of Jeopardy! news stories breaking into mainstream press, but still, you’d think there would have been a little more fanfare when Dionne Warwick joined the team of writers for the show. It’s flown totally under my radar so far, and I’m an avid fan.

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2022 12:55 AM

Well that was a suspenseful game.

Since Thread #30 is nearly 600 posts long, I'll put this here on the new thread.

Given Yungsheng mentioned his "partner" tonight, I thought I'd share this, which I came across this morning.

At the bottom of the link is a picture (from 2010) & rather sweet paragraph about how the couple met:

"Chris Cianci JD 2009 and Yungsheng Wang JD 2010 supposedly met while in law school, but Chris has no memory of it. They were in the same class (Gifts, Wills and Trusts) and even on the same journal (Interdisciplinary Law Journal). However, while Yung secretly pined for Chris, Chris remained oblivious. In October 2011, Yung began chatting with Chris on USC Lawmail and finally gathered the courage to ask him out. Chris agreed to it. On September 3, 2017, Chris and Yung got married in downtown Los Angeles."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2022 1:11 AM

Mayim's dress and blazer did not look good together.

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2022 1:52 AM

Yungsheng shitting the bed on In the Courtroom was disqualifying. I went from loving him to rooting for his failure. He didn’t deserve to win tonight.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2022 3:07 AM

He did so, he won fair and square. One of the exciting things about him as a contestant is his impulsiveness when you aren’t sure he’s going to know the correct answer. The other is that he has always bet big in final Jeopardy which makes for a more exciting game and big pay-off when he’s right (which he has been for three games so far). All this is recklessness is at odds with his impeccable way of dressing.

And reply 6, are you suggesting you wanted that fat, pushy lesbian to win? She was insufferably smug with her “fun” fashion eyeglasses and too-bright colors. I was so glad that she got her ass handed ro her today and that we never have to see her again.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2022 3:29 AM

R7, but I did find it kind of annoying how, in the past two games. Yungsheng looked very concerned before his FJ answer was revealed -- even though he knew he had the right answer, because he wasn't the first one to get it, and he already knew he had won because of how much he had bet -- and it wasn't until Mayim had pronounced he had won that he started making also those weird faces of overjoyed surprise

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2022 4:18 AM

Nail biter of a game. Was rooting for Yungsheng the whole time but Alicia posed a serious threat. So glad he won. I like him more each game.

I love his enthusiasm and the way he jumps up and down. He was holding it all in tightly during Final and when he was officially declared the winner, he could jump for joy.

I've been in situations where I blanked on a word I should know because of my profession so I feel for Yungsheng and sidebar.

I guessed Rice for Final. Soybeans did not cross my mind.

Great find r4. Bravo! Glad we've got the proof now.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2022 6:34 AM

Yungsheng's judge is going to kill him over sidebar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2022 6:40 AM

Yungsheng never wins anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2022 6:42 AM

He won a pretty cool husband it appears.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2022 11:42 AM

And c'mon guys. The story about the stray dog is pretty darn sweet.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2022 11:47 AM

Yungsheng Wang is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2022 12:35 PM

I worked in a courtroom for a few years and blanked on sidebar, it happens. I do find his writing his name in Chinese a bit... much. Still, I was dreading Lady Funspecs as much as the rest of you.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2022 1:05 PM

Pop-specs!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2022 1:13 PM

LOVE Yungshen but why did he refer to his husband as his partner?

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2022 1:36 PM

%17- Asian homosexual panic.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2022 2:28 PM

Why do Jeopardy! contestants keep thinking that Diana Ross is in her nineties?

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2022 8:44 PM

Mayim Bialik makes another ‘Jeopardy!’ snafu: ‘That was ridiculous’

Mayim Bialik is in hot water again following her recent hosting gig on “Jeopardy!”

The game show producers were forced to intervene during a show earlier this week when Bialik, 46, mistakenly said that a contestant didn’t win her points, when, in fact, the player did.

The clue read: “From a Latin word for ‘to clock,’ it’s the type of care given to seriously ill patients to provide comfort without curing.”

Contestant Andie Huskie then answered, “What is palliative care?” pronouncing it differently.

However, he then corrected his solution to “palliative care” pronounced correctly before time ran out.

Producers chimed in while the show aired, coming in hot in the middle of a Daily Double.

While another contestant was answering a different question, Bialik halted the game to announce their decision on Huskie’s behalf.

She said, “We have a score change and, Andie, it affects you. The judges have reviewed your response, and you corrected your response of ‘palliative care’ before I began to rule you incorrect. We will be adding $4,000 to your score. That puts you in the lead.”

“Glad the judges overruled Mayim’s hasty “NO”. #Jeopardy,” a fan noted about the snafu on Twitter Monday.

Another viewer added: “That was ridiculous. Clearly started to correct himself before she ruled.”

“Why does that keep happening. It messes up the whole game like the contestants get robbed from picking the next category and confuses the viewers at home. I thought I was wrong screaming at the tv and those around me lol,” one person wondered.

“I was scratching my head on that one. He totally answered in time,” a confused user said.

Bialik’s quick responses to contestants previously cost her brownie points with “Jeopardy!” fans. Last month, producers had to make another judgment call with contestant Megan Wachpress when Bialik cut her off too quickly.

The clue noted: “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t do this.” Wachpress then answered, “What is drink … what is make … ”

Bialik declared her as incorrect before the player had a chance to fix her mistake. Wachpress went on, saying, “What is make them drink” and she was later given the $400 for the correct answer by the producers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2022 9:22 PM

I hate this cunt, when is Ken coming back??????????????????

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2022 9:22 PM

Radio report today said viewers have complained "Jeopardy" is getting too political. Two questions yesterday referenced January 6th events in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2022 9:27 PM

Earlier this week Mayim mispronounced Dvořák and Uppsalla. Always says "singer" as sing-GUR and she's not even from Noo Yawk.

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2022 9:30 PM

Mayim's wardrobe is horrendous. It would be so easy to parody that look with it's mannish, badly fit blazers over frowzy polyester dresses or matronly blouses and skirts, all in ugly dated color combinations. And those Mom pumps! She would do well to follow Kamala Harris' look with solid colored well-tailored pants suits in neutral colors over a simple bright colored shell or tailored silk blouse.

Mayim, have you noticed how Kamala's wardrobe has never been criticized or questioned?

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2022 9:31 PM

R24, yes I agree, she wears the ugliest colors!!! and her jackets don't even fit sometimes!

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2022 9:52 PM

Yungsheng mentioned his partner. Anyone know about the couple?

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2022 11:01 PM

R17 how do you know it's a husband?

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2022 11:04 PM

r17, because he used the pronoun "he" in referring to his partner.

R26, check upthread at r4, there are photos.

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2022 11:39 PM

Oh no! And after a brilliant DJ comeback !!!

I guessed Tarzan for FJ but the answer was really quite obvious.

by Anonymousreply 29July 7, 2022 11:42 PM

Im sorry to see the sexy Yungshen go.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2022 1:15 AM

I'm sad that sexy Yungsheng lost too. We hardly knew ye.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2022 1:34 AM

Really thought he'd get FJ. Zorro was a pretty lame guess. I first guessed Dracula, then realized the clue said "human." After that Holmes was easy.

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2022 1:42 AM

So glad Yungshen is gone! All his nasal noises to show emotion were annoying.

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2022 1:46 AM

Mayim is an observant Jew(ess) and as such dresses quite modestly. You never see her arms (not even on BBT). However, yes can dress modestly without being frumpy.

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2022 1:59 AM

R28 - R17 was basically asking why Yungsheng would use the word "partner" in the first place as opposed to using the word "husband," given he's clearly married as per my link @ R4.

I immediately thought of Dracula for FJ.

I'll begrudgingly say the new champ is pleasant enough - for a straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2022 2:08 AM

Sherlock Holmes seems obvious, but all I came up with was Robin Hood. I found the new champion to be insincere, but that might just be me.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2022 2:17 AM

I like Brian. He's handsome in a nerdy way and has a pleasant, laid-back manner that's sexy and masculine without being macho. It was a nice, gentlemanly gesture when he turned to salute Yungshen.

I was sick of Yungshen, who showed his true colors when he was far behind early in the game. Gone was the grinning, the dancing, the over-exuberance. Instead, he looked sullen and ashamed. Writing his name in Chinese characters was cute the first time and then became annoying and pretentious. I don't give a shit that he's gay. A gay Jeopardy contestant is hardly ground-breaking. Glad he's gone.

Dracula was published in 1897, which anyone who's familiar with the novel or the influence of the story on Western literature and popular culture should know. Know your dates.

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2022 2:18 AM

Now I'm wondering whether it says Colin on his birth certificate?

New champ is fine. Final was obvious to me.

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2022 2:21 AM

R37 I think I'll have to decline our lunch date. I'm sure I'd do something you wouldn't approve of.

FJ... I hate those FJs that are so obvious and I get wrong. I had to guess Peter Pan, though he isn't human and I knew it was wrong anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2022 2:33 AM

Excellent game. I blanked on FJ, and felt very dumb as soon as I saw Brian's answer. I missed Ketchum too.

I did get A Clean Well-Lighted Place, the Bronx, ands Macbeth.

Jimmy look quite fit and trim on the speedway clues.

A different Brian Aherne in DL fave The Best of Everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 8, 2022 4:03 AM

R37 is why I hesitate to proceed with the audition process.

by Anonymousreply 41July 8, 2022 4:51 AM

I also guessed Robin Hood for final, even though I suspected his origins might have been centuries earlier. I thought Scrooge was a good guess as well. Sherlock never even entered my mind.

by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2022 5:49 AM

I'm so sad. Was rooting for Yungsheng all the way. Was really worried about him in the first half, but he has such a strong comeback in the second half, I thought for sure he'd win. I really liked him. Sorry he has to go.

I knew Final before she finished reading the clue. My first instinct was Dracula, but immediately realized it said human, so then knew it was Sherlock Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2022 6:41 AM

Good riddance to annoying Younsheng! .

by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2022 8:35 AM

I guessed Sun Valley instead of Ketchum, doubt they would have accepted that.

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2022 11:14 AM

Did know one else guess Tarzan, like me???

by Anonymousreply 46July 8, 2022 1:26 PM

The lady with the silly honeymoon story was in dire need of a support bra.

by Anonymousreply 47July 8, 2022 1:58 PM

And Invisalign.

by Anonymousreply 48July 8, 2022 5:17 PM

Glenda Jackson, I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2022 10:42 PM

Nope R46. Know one else did. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 50July 8, 2022 10:49 PM

R34 do Mayim's kids have Pais and attend a Yeshiva?

by Anonymousreply 51July 8, 2022 11:09 PM

I like the new champ. Seems not only smart but very steady. Hope he sticks around awhile.

by Anonymousreply 52July 8, 2022 11:44 PM

I actually guessed Sodom for FJ but was unsure because I thought maybe the clue was referring to a real city that still exists. Was Sodom ever a real location and not part of a myth?

by Anonymousreply 53July 8, 2022 11:46 PM

I'm sick of Mayim. Did they ever formally announce her as host? The last I heard, quite some time ago, was that she & Ken were temporary and a permanent host would be announced this summer.

by Anonymousreply 54July 8, 2022 11:55 PM

Is the new champ MTF?

Payis are for Hassidic, R51.

by Anonymousreply 55July 8, 2022 11:58 PM

I can't stand her!!! I perfer Ken!

by Anonymousreply 56July 8, 2022 11:58 PM

Crossword experts make great contestants.

by Anonymousreply 57July 9, 2022 12:37 AM

Good for our new homo champ!

by Anonymousreply 58July 9, 2022 2:57 AM

He looks so young for a math prof. He seemed to have a pretty broad range of knowledge and was fast on the buzzer -- should continue to do well.

Unlike me, guessing Jericho...

Mayim looked great tonight.

by Anonymousreply 59July 9, 2022 3:42 AM

I ran the Jackson category except for the Winter Olympian Jackson whom I'd never heard of before. I like the new champ but I might tire of him after a few games.

by Anonymousreply 60July 9, 2022 3:47 AM

The outgoing champ didn’t say the answer in the form of a question a couple of times, even in double, and Mayim didn’t call him out for it. Mixed messages.

by Anonymousreply 61July 9, 2022 4:13 AM

New champ has legs.

by Anonymousreply 62July 9, 2022 5:06 AM

Is newchamp a gayling?

by Anonymousreply 63July 9, 2022 8:52 AM

I liked both Robert and Leigh. Would have been happy with either as the winner. Didn't like Brian at all, mainly because he is the one who defeated Yungsheng.

But Robert is both fast and smart. Hope he sticks around as well.

I guessed Sodom for Final. Was stunned that it was correct.

by Anonymousreply 64July 9, 2022 9:08 AM

Robert got his BA in mathematics at Duke in 2011. That suggests he's in his early 30s now.

Got his MA and PhD from University of California, San Diego.

Currently employed as an assistant math professor at George Washington University in DC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 9, 2022 9:11 AM

Brian now has plenty of time to stroke his walrus.

by Anonymousreply 66July 9, 2022 9:48 AM

Robert is cute. Hope he sticks around for a while

glad the zoolander guy from earlier in the week is gone

by Anonymousreply 67July 10, 2022 7:30 AM

What's with all these people losing by $2?!

by Anonymousreply 68July 11, 2022 11:28 PM

FJ was too easy!

by Anonymousreply 69July 11, 2022 11:48 PM

Oh my gosh, that win was upsetting. I really wanted the champ to win again.

by Anonymousreply 70July 11, 2022 11:58 PM

Final was very easy, as was Marquis de Sade that they whiffed. Wasn't a huge fan of outgoing champ, but was hoping the lady might sneak in.

by Anonymousreply 71July 12, 2022 12:07 AM

Thought if you did crosswords a lot you'd get Porgy & Bess. Opera. South Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 72July 12, 2022 1:24 AM

Yeah, the “opera” part of the clue pretty much gave it away.

by Anonymousreply 73July 12, 2022 1:42 AM

Was the word "opera" used in the clue? The category was Musical Theater so I was looking for a musical, not an opera.

by Anonymousreply 74July 12, 2022 1:50 AM

Yes:

[quote] It’s one of the most revived shows in Broadway history & in 2001 it was designated the state opera of South Carolina

by Anonymousreply 75July 12, 2022 1:53 AM

How many times has Porgy & Bess been revived on Broadway? I'd guess next to Gypsy, Anything Goes and some of the Rodgers and Hammerstein canon, not that much.

by Anonymousreply 76July 12, 2022 1:59 AM

R76-Seven.

by Anonymousreply 77July 12, 2022 2:40 AM

R76-Carousel-5 times revived

Anything Goes-3 times

Gypsy-4 times

South Pacific-twice

Sound Of Music-once

by Anonymousreply 78July 12, 2022 2:47 AM

R78 - FOLLIES - twice

by Anonymousreply 79July 12, 2022 3:12 AM

Bajour! - NEVER.

by Anonymousreply 80July 12, 2022 3:15 AM

Too bad Robert Won lost. But it was a good game until I guessed "Show Boat."

by Anonymousreply 81July 12, 2022 3:16 AM

I guessed Porgy and Bess immediately, but I'm a theatre nerd.

Attorney Steve is attractive and masculine.

It will be nice to have an audience back at Jeopardy!.

by Anonymousreply 82July 12, 2022 3:20 AM

Easiest FJ in a while. If the champion guessed South Pacific, jeez, good thing he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 83July 12, 2022 3:21 AM

But of the 7 times P&B was revived "on Broadway", one was actually at City Center, one at The Ziegfeld (?) Theatre and one at Lincoln Center. Leaving 4 at legitimate theaters

by Anonymousreply 84July 12, 2022 3:23 AM

I didn't know the answer to FJ but I would have said "Oklahoma" just to be funny. I'll see myself out.

by Anonymousreply 85July 12, 2022 3:30 AM

>Yungsheng

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 86July 12, 2022 4:09 AM

Guess I was wrong.

Robert, we hardly knew ye.

by Anonymousreply 87July 12, 2022 4:37 AM

Good game. I liked Steve a lot. But also liked Aleithia. What a unique name.

Amazing that Steve and Robert bet the exact same amount on Final --$4,601. But Steve played it properly and took down a math whiz.

Yes, Final was super easy. I knew the answer before she finished reading the clue.

by Anonymousreply 88July 12, 2022 7:01 AM

I also guessed Show Boat for FJ R81, LOL. Robert was a cutie. I wanted him to stick around longer. Oh well ....

by Anonymousreply 89July 12, 2022 8:26 AM

When I was a kid, my father would mention a coworker called Aleithia, R88.

by Anonymousreply 90July 12, 2022 1:36 PM

Dumbest FJ wager ever today by second place contestant. Seriously..,,how does he not just walk into traffic every day??

by Anonymousreply 91July 13, 2022 2:16 AM

Well I bet Ben is kicking himself after that wager. I don't see how it made sense for him to do anything but bet it all in that situation.

by Anonymousreply 92July 13, 2022 2:33 AM

Lots of hard questions for me tonight, including FJ. I had never heard of Phobos and Deimos.

by Anonymousreply 93July 13, 2022 4:03 AM

He was going for safe second. D’oh!

It was not an easy FJ for me.

by Anonymousreply 94July 13, 2022 4:41 AM

It didn't make sense for the champion to bet 5000 rather than 5001 either.

by Anonymousreply 95July 13, 2022 4:47 AM

Didn’t he bet $1?

by Anonymousreply 96July 13, 2022 4:49 AM

He bet $1, exactly what he was expected to bet.

by Anonymousreply 97July 13, 2022 12:30 PM

Oh….R95 meant on the last Daily Double. Yes, I thought the same thing. If he had done that, it would have been a runaway.

by Anonymousreply 98July 13, 2022 12:31 PM

Dreading a win by the lady, who seemed robotic and self-centered. I like the current champ. Things that seemed obvious: 40% alcohol = 80 proof, Poirot's "little grey cells" and Alexandria (not the "city" of Greece).

Would never have come up with final in a million years!

by Anonymousreply 99July 13, 2022 2:39 PM

Yes, that was an unusually difficult FJ, at least to me. Many or most FJ's I don't get correctly, when given the correct answer, it resonates and I think I should have gotten it. This one was... huh? Who are they?

Alexandria - they were all epically stupid guessing cities that had nothing to do with the "Alex" category. Istanbul?

by Anonymousreply 100July 13, 2022 4:07 PM

I hadn't the slightest idea on Final, but was impressed that one of the three did know it.

by Anonymousreply 101July 13, 2022 4:20 PM

I think FJs are getting harder.

by Anonymousreply 102July 13, 2022 8:23 PM

R102-It's about damned time.

by Anonymousreply 103July 13, 2022 10:17 PM

To answer a previous mystery:

3. February 23, 2018

Category: Modern Words

Clue: In 1994 WIRED magazine described this 4-letter word as an idea leaping "from mind to mind ... as viruses leap from body to body"

Mary Kalemkerian: What is I ♥ NY?

Kate Tucci: What is cool?

Alan Harrison: What is yike

Correct Response: Meme

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 13, 2022 10:35 PM

that asian guy was so embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 105July 13, 2022 11:38 PM

I guessed final correctly, though thought it was for NY rather than CA. Jin Soo had a bad night, but I liked him.

There are twelve on a jury.

by Anonymousreply 106July 14, 2022 12:03 AM

R102 Well, not today's. Lawyer deserved to lose, not knowing Eureka.

by Anonymousreply 107July 14, 2022 2:29 AM

Really fun game today! I'm glad Emily won. She played really well. I got the Daily Double she missed, 12, as I figured the number was based on the jury size. I was surprised Alex P. Keaton was a triple stumper as two of them seemed old enough to remember Family Ties.

by Anonymousreply 108July 14, 2022 2:33 AM

R108, And one of them should have known Neil Simon wrote Plaza Suite.

by Anonymousreply 109July 14, 2022 3:18 AM

12 was the only possible answer.

by Anonymousreply 110July 14, 2022 4:26 AM

Thanks, R98. That's what I meant, but failed to include.

by Anonymousreply 111July 14, 2022 4:39 AM

Nobody remembers what Neil Simon wrote anymore.

by Anonymousreply 112July 14, 2022 4:40 AM

Neil Simon, I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 113July 14, 2022 6:02 AM

Good game. But so many missed clues that I knew. Alex P. Keaton, 12 on jury, Neil Simon.

I'm embarrassed to say I live in California and I was unaware the state motto is "Eureka." So, obviously I missed Final.

by Anonymousreply 114July 14, 2022 6:05 AM

Johnny Gilbert - shut the fuck up! Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 115July 14, 2022 9:01 AM

R112, But Plaza Suite has been breaking attendance records with this revival and its run has been well publicized because of SJP and Matthew Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 116July 14, 2022 9:50 AM

Jeopardy answers/clues involving Judy Garland, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Sarah Jessica Parker - yesterday was a very gay Jeopardy, haha!

by Anonymousreply 117July 14, 2022 1:51 PM

R116-Across the country? They aren't all from NYC, you know.

by Anonymousreply 118July 14, 2022 3:16 PM

R118, It's been nationally publicized, plus they made numerous talk show appearances to promote the Plaza Suite revival.

by Anonymousreply 119July 14, 2022 3:59 PM

In cases where a score is adjusted, does anybody know if it's the contestants that ask for a review? Or are the judges just disagreeing with the host's determination of whether an answer is correct?

by Anonymousreply 120July 14, 2022 11:57 PM

Mike the veterinarian may just be the perfect man.

by Anonymousreply 121July 14, 2022 11:58 PM

Shouldn't he have been required to specify which Adams, rather than Mayim's unusually quickly accepting the surname only? Final was easy.

by Anonymousreply 122July 14, 2022 11:59 PM

Yeah, I thought that was odd about the acceptance of just "Adams" as an answer, but he lost in the end, and he was kind of hot, so what the hell?

by Anonymousreply 123July 15, 2022 1:07 AM

I hated the banana yellow shirt.

I want to know what would've happened if someone had answered the White Witch/Narnia clue with "Who is Jadis?", her actual name from The Magician's Nephew.

by Anonymousreply 124July 15, 2022 4:51 AM

Mark had a great voice and likable demeanor, but he needed a tailor to work on that jacket.

by Anonymousreply 125July 15, 2022 5:58 AM

I think Mark was wearing one of Mayim's reject jackets. Or was it vice versa?

by Anonymousreply 126July 15, 2022 12:27 PM

I liked all three contestants. Would have been satisfied with any of them as winners.

But how has Mayim not yet asked Emily about the last name Fiasco?

Accepting Adams without demanding he be more specific seemed very strange. Alex wouldn't have done it.

Yes, Final was incredibly easy.

by Anonymousreply 127July 15, 2022 4:28 PM

A tangential question: I've noticed that sometimes when Mayim has a quick "quip" after a contestant has responded to a Jeopardy answer, the camera cuts to showing her making the clever comment. Are these scripted, or is it just edited after the fact?

by Anonymousreply 128July 15, 2022 5:14 PM

The things about Adams was that she's been dragging out approvals for a few seconds usually, but approved his answer immediately; I think Ken probably took a dim view of that as well.

by Anonymousreply 129July 15, 2022 7:19 PM

John Adams

John Quincy Adams'

Abigail Adams

Samuel Adams

Amy Adams

Yeah, a first name woulda been nice, Mayim.

by Anonymousreply 130July 15, 2022 9:38 PM

Final seemed obvious.

Too bad they couldn't get black mamba, Porfirio Diaz, nor Pall Mall.

by Anonymousreply 131July 16, 2022 12:20 AM

[quote]Too bad they couldn't get ... Pall Mall.

R131, ah, but would they have pronounced it "pal mal", as in "my pal Mal(colm)", "pall mall", as in "I'm meeting Paul at the mall", or "pell mell", as in "your sPELLing sMELLs"?

Not getting mamba was bad enough, but guessing anaconda when the clue clearly refers to a venomous snake ... even worse.

by Anonymousreply 132July 16, 2022 1:51 AM

I want to like Mayim, but she always seems so "on". Tonight (Friday), when the veterinarian contestant talked about his genuinely amazing trip to Kansas (of all places) to tend to exotic animals, Mayim's response was "how fascinating" (or something like that) with exactly the same tone and enthusiasm she would have shown if he had said he had a pet squirrel.

Alex could be annoying and condescending, but he seemed genuinely interested in the contestants, or was good at faking it. Ken is just a hopeless nerd, which is charming. When is he coming back? For the championships, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 133July 16, 2022 1:55 AM

Ken returns on Monday. I don’t find Mayim — or her clothing — as annoying as some people apparently. I like her, I like Ken, and I like Buzzy. Any of the three of them would be fine with me.

by Anonymousreply 134July 16, 2022 2:21 AM

Funny you should say that R133. I never got the impression Alex was remotely interested in the contestants' stories (neither am I to be honest) which is what made that segment so cringey.

by Anonymousreply 135July 16, 2022 2:33 AM

The champion's top looked like a curtain pattern.

by Anonymousreply 136July 16, 2022 2:39 AM

Yes, R136, a shower curtain.

by Anonymousreply 137July 16, 2022 3:07 AM

It would be nice if they put the kibosh on the contestant chats; they are almost always awkward or lame, and I end up pitying the host and the players. With the extra time. they could add another column of clues and more $$. I like Mayim, but am ready for the Ken switcheroo next week.

by Anonymousreply 138July 16, 2022 3:14 AM

So I guess every contestant has to submit 10 "fascinating" things about themselves as part of their application?

by Anonymousreply 139July 16, 2022 3:29 AM

I fast forward through the chatty chat. I really don’t give a damn about the personal stories of the contestants. I would love to be on the show, but I would hate to have to talk about myself.

by Anonymousreply 140July 16, 2022 3:30 AM

Poor Matt Amodio had to find 38 "fascinating" things about himself. To their credit, they joked about scraping the barrel, but why not just spare everyone the pain?

by Anonymousreply 141July 16, 2022 3:34 AM

Come on, you know whenever there's a hot male contestant, you're all waiting to hear about his "personal" life.

by Anonymousreply 142July 16, 2022 3:41 AM

R133, in what way do you consider Ken Jennings to be a "hopeless nerd?" What a ridiculous statement.

by Anonymousreply 143July 16, 2022 3:52 AM

Amen, r138.

by Anonymousreply 144July 16, 2022 4:11 AM

I fucking hate Maryim, I don't care for her or spelling her name correctly. She is ugly and wears the ugliest colors and sometimes the jacket doesn't even fit properly.

I prefer Ken a million times more.

by Anonymousreply 145July 16, 2022 4:49 AM

I feel like r145 just flung himself onto his bed and burst into tears.

by Anonymousreply 146July 16, 2022 6:32 AM

I can't believe that Mayim wouldn't accept the pronunciation Metamorphosis, (instead of Metamorphoses) even though she (and the other contestants) mispronounce stuff all the time. Granted he was mid-buzzer when he blurted it out, I still think they should have let him have it.

by Anonymousreply 147July 16, 2022 7:16 AM

I don't think Mayim gives a shit about the pronunciation. It's the judges who make the call. I was put off by the decision, but realized that The House of Seven Gable would be just as wrong if the topic were Hawthorne.

by Anonymousreply 148July 16, 2022 11:11 AM

r147, it wasn't a mispronunciation, It was the wrong name.

It would be like calling the musical Folly. Or Funny Girls or My Fair Ladies. Or Mean Girl.

by Anonymousreply 149July 16, 2022 12:31 PM

Metamorphosis is singular; metamorphoses is plural.

by Anonymousreply 150July 16, 2022 2:33 PM

Yes, we know.

by Anonymousreply 151July 16, 2022 2:43 PM

The personal stories segment is so cringey... always awkward. But it also is kind of retro (think Groucho's patter with contestants on You Bet You Life). It is an element of a kind of "live" TV, quiz shows. "regular" people on TV.

It's just horrible, but needs to stay to maintain the "genre"...

by Anonymousreply 152July 16, 2022 4:13 PM

most of the time, I mute the personal story segment.

by Anonymousreply 153July 16, 2022 4:43 PM

I don't mind the interviews generally, although my mom and I agree that the marriage proposals are about the worst.

by Anonymousreply 154July 16, 2022 5:49 PM

they are better than those introductions on wheel of fortune. they are the worst...I have a wonderful, beautiful wife, 3 outstanding and smart kids and work in the best company in the world, IBM.

I don't watch this show but sometimes I walk away from the TV after jeopardy and I hear the intros of this show...

by Anonymousreply 155July 16, 2022 5:59 PM

Don't you think it'd be weird to have a contestant win for several games and never learn anything personal about them??

by Anonymousreply 156July 16, 2022 6:23 PM

No R156. I don’t give a flying fig about contestants’ personal lives. This isn’t This Is Your Life!

by Anonymousreply 157July 16, 2022 6:34 PM

[quote]I never got the impression Alex was remotely interested in the contestants' stories (neither am I to be honest) which is what made that segment so cringey.

I agree that Alex never seemed remotely interested in the contestants stories. At least not for the vast run of the show. Doing the contestant chat came across as one of the many tasks he had to do in the course of doing his job, but clearly one of his least favorite tasks.

However, in the final few years, he actually did seem genuinely interested. I don't know what happened. Perhaps some of his own health issues made him more interested in the lives of other people. But his attitude about the chat did improve.

by Anonymousreply 158July 16, 2022 10:40 PM

Everyone can SEE the difference between metamorphoses and metamorphosis when the words are written out, and yes, the first is plural and the second is singular so the distinction is important But I'm talking about pronunciation. In American English for metamorphoses we usually say meta more foe seize vs meta more foe sis. However, neither of those are the correct pronunciations of the original Latin. Metamorphosis in Latin is pronounced may tah more foe seece and metamorphoses is correctly pronounced may tah more foe saice. My point was that given that Americans mispronounce the words anyway, the judges ought to have allowed him the benefit of the doubt. (Not that it would have made any difference in the final outcome, because he would have lost either way.).

If the answer was "the location of Notre Dame Cathedral" and someone answered "What is ParEE?', could /should their answer be disqualified because they didn't pronounce it the English way (PAIRiss).? My opinion is that that first answer should be counted correct, because it is, after all, the way the city is pronounced in its own country.

by Anonymousreply 159July 17, 2022 8:48 AM

Your example of Paris doesn't hold true because the pronunciation doesn't change the meaning of the word. We're talking about the title of a dramatic work, not the name of a foreign city.

by Anonymousreply 160July 17, 2022 12:21 PM

R159, you make a very good point.

by Anonymousreply 161July 17, 2022 1:05 PM

Another moronic FJ wager by a pain in the ass and it came back to bite them.

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2022 9:36 PM

Ken: "Sorry, William (Asian contestant) - I didn't hear the t's in your answer." Ummmmmm...

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2022 11:53 PM

Well, William did alright anyway. Yay, William!

Can I just say I HATE the way they deal with tie breakers? It's all about who can press the button fastest. Though I'm happy with the winner. I think both high winners should be allowed to continue for another game.

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2022 11:54 PM

Was William's pronunciation of Stuyvesant any worse than the other contestant's spelling of Godot??

by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2022 11:56 PM

Funspecs... It's a thing! Didn't get final but knew: jodhpurs, Berlin, pale horse and Balderdash.

Night and Day difference having Ken back!

by Anonymousreply 166July 19, 2022 12:04 AM

Is Ken's lisp curable?

by Anonymousreply 167July 19, 2022 12:10 AM

The tie breaker was an easy one.

Was the lady on the right wearing Pride eyeglass frames?

by Anonymousreply 168July 19, 2022 12:44 AM

R167, What lischp?

by Anonymousreply 169July 19, 2022 12:45 AM

William recovered nicely after a lousy first round. Impressive that all three knew FJ.

Ken looked very stylish for his first show back.

by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2022 4:00 AM

damn, I forgot to record it. I went out for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2022 4:23 AM

Really good game! William had an impressive comeback in the second half.

I didn't know Final. I guessed Death of a Salesman based on the 1952 premier date, but was fairly confident that was wrong.

I knew the Tie Breaker. I agree, it's not the fairest way to resolve ties like that.

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2022 5:35 AM

They could at least let the loser keep the money, in fact, why don’t they allow everyone to keep the money they win?

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2022 6:32 AM

Good question. I suspect Jeopardy is one of the most profitable game shows on TV. I would think it wouldn't break the bank to allow the 2nd and 3rd to keep their winnings. I knew FJ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2022 7:33 AM

I've always thought that rather cheap also; especially not adding it to a losing champ's total.

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2022 12:19 PM

Here you go, R171.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2022 2:28 PM

Attorney Matt is definite husband material.

Yet another easy FJ.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2022 9:16 PM

For you visually impaired viewers: the new champ is HAF.

Pathetic that none of them could manage neither schnauzer, phonograph nor loophole.

by Anonymousreply 178July 20, 2022 12:02 AM

Matt is adorable. Straight, it appears.

Yes, FJ was easy.

by Anonymousreply 179July 20, 2022 12:03 AM

Yet Matt knew Schmigadoon and Pagliacci.

by Anonymousreply 180July 20, 2022 12:16 AM

Hah! Schnauzer in retrospect maybe was obvious and easy but not in the moment.

Matt seems like he could stick around for awhile. I'm not complaining.

by Anonymousreply 181July 20, 2022 1:40 AM

Matt was inappropriately emotive.

by Anonymousreply 182July 20, 2022 1:51 AM

I love dogs and know a lot of them but couldn't come up with schnauzer at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 183July 20, 2022 2:20 AM

I've had two adorable Schnauzers over the years I adored and couldn't come up with Schnauzer in the moment.

I was trying to think of a dog with a long prominent snout not a terrier with a boxy snout.

by Anonymousreply 184July 20, 2022 2:24 AM

I thought of Pagliaci right away - mostly because I remember the Seinfeld episode where the gang goes to the opera and tries to avoid Crazy Joe Devola dressed as Pagliaci.

by Anonymousreply 185July 20, 2022 3:46 AM

Shows you how much I know about opera. Evidently the clown Pagliaccio is "Canio"

by Anonymousreply 186July 20, 2022 3:56 AM

Matt's a solid Jersey tall boy with emotive BDF, and a solid player to boot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 20, 2022 3:59 AM

Good game. Matt was impressive. And hot! Wouldn't mind him sticking around.

I had no idea on Final. Opera is not my thing.

by Anonymousreply 188July 20, 2022 6:51 AM

I was distracted by English words - it made me think of Candide, but that's not really an opera opera.

by Anonymousreply 189July 20, 2022 8:01 AM

True, R189, but when Candide is staged it is often by an opera company.

by Anonymousreply 190July 20, 2022 8:26 AM

I guessed Schnauzer, thinking schnozz = Schnauzer.

by Anonymousreply 191July 20, 2022 10:41 AM

I had a FB in River Edge, N.J. He lived right next door to my doctor. They grow them big there.

by Anonymousreply 192July 20, 2022 5:00 PM

Great game yesterday. New champ is easy on the eyes and smart too. Hope he can string together a few wins.

by Anonymousreply 193July 20, 2022 7:00 PM

Matt has a 3-year-old son.

by Anonymousreply 194July 20, 2022 8:55 PM

What's with all the odd facial expressions Matt keeps making?

by Anonymousreply 195July 20, 2022 9:26 PM

Matt is so hot. I love his facial expressions and his scruff and everything about him haha.

by Anonymousreply 196July 20, 2022 11:58 PM

When will Matt mention his wife? Or husband?

by Anonymousreply 197July 21, 2022 12:00 AM

The show runs smoother with Ken Jennings.

by Anonymousreply 198July 21, 2022 12:07 AM

Agreed, R198.

R197, kid usually means het, but not quite so am waiting for wife mention also.

by Anonymousreply 199July 21, 2022 12:11 AM

Like R196, I'm enjoying Matt scruff and very emotive face.

I just did a little research for you guys and looked under whitpages - and saw that Matt is living with two females and a male.

So that mean a wife, a daughter and the 3-year old son he mentioned on air.

by Anonymousreply 200July 21, 2022 1:37 AM

Wow! What kind of "research" is that, r200?

by Anonymousreply 201July 21, 2022 1:39 AM

R201 - Wow! I was basically answering R197's question in a lighthearted way.

by Anonymousreply 202July 21, 2022 1:44 AM

Sorry, r202, I didn't mean to sound snarky at all. I was genuinely asking what sort of "research" one might do to get that kind of info: "living with two females and a male." I mean, it's not exactly what you'd get off of Facebook or Insta, which would be more specific.

Or by lighthearted" do you mean you were joking? Again, sorry if I seem dense (maybe I am).

by Anonymousreply 203July 21, 2022 1:53 AM

R203 - Sorry for misunderstanding. For a minute there, I thought you were trying to be being a wise-ass.

Whitepages.com lists the names of people living in a household.

There was a listing for Matt Mierswa from River Edge, along with the names of three other people with the same last name - obviously a family, as I mentioned @ R200.

by Anonymousreply 204July 21, 2022 1:59 AM

There are at least 6 Matt Mierzwas on Instagram but none look like our Matt from what I can glean....

by Anonymousreply 205July 21, 2022 2:05 AM

According to a Facebook post, Matt is a Church of the Presentation parishioner and he appeared in one of their Family Faith productions, portraying Jesus.

They are congratulating Matt on his Jeopardy! wins in the Facebook post.

by Anonymousreply 206July 21, 2022 3:32 AM

R196, One can only imagine the facial expressions Matt makes when he climaxes.

by Anonymousreply 207July 21, 2022 3:45 AM

I want to rend Matt's garments.

by Anonymousreply 208July 21, 2022 3:54 AM

Another good game.

I liked all the contestants. Nice comeback by Alfred at the end. And Alison was giving Matt some strong competition in the first half. I won't let Matt's apparent heterosexuality diminish my opinion of him.

Had no idea on Final.

by Anonymousreply 209July 21, 2022 7:44 AM

Had to look up Church of the Presentation to find it's Catholic. So . . . He does know a lot about pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 210July 21, 2022 12:02 PM

It was so upsetting to me to learn that Matt is some Jesus freak, especially because he's one of the hottest contestants they've had in a long time. He also worked for corrupt DA Cyrus Vance Jr, who originally let Harvey Weinstein skate until the pressure got to be too much and looked the other way for years with the corrupt Trump family's shady dealings. Anyone working in those types of circles is not a good person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 21, 2022 2:21 PM

Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 212July 21, 2022 2:25 PM

Anyone working as a Manhattan prosecutor is “not a good person?” Pffft!

by Anonymousreply 213July 21, 2022 2:56 PM

[quote] He also worked for corrupt DA Cyrus Vance Jr,

Hold on. I worked in a prosecutor’s office for many years. Unless you’re actively involved in those controversial cases you cannot be saddled with responsibility for the chief prosecutor’s decisions.

[quote] Anyone working in those types of circles is not a good person.

Oh, BS.

by Anonymousreply 214July 21, 2022 2:58 PM

Whaddya expect? He's from New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 215July 21, 2022 3:03 PM

R213 Anyone working in [italic] that office. [/italic]

R214 You can be saddled with it, actually. Who you work for, especially as someone with the ability to selectively choose your employment, like Matt is, is a statement of your values. It was no secret that Vance was corrupt. This article was published two years before Matt took the job in Vance's office. If he didn't know about this before accepting the position, then he's a complete moron. If he did and took the job anyway, then it shows how shitty his values are. We don't look kindly at anyone who worked for Trump. We shouldn't look kindly at anyone who worked for his enablers either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216July 21, 2022 3:28 PM

This is Matt's Linkedin page, in case anyone was curious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 21, 2022 3:31 PM

I will be actively pushing for Matt to lose now.

by Anonymousreply 218July 21, 2022 3:57 PM

R211, How many times does Matt touch his face on that 5 minute video?

by Anonymousreply 219July 21, 2022 4:44 PM

“Actively?” As opposed to sitting on the couch and fuming?

by Anonymousreply 220July 21, 2022 4:45 PM

[quote] This article was published two years before Matt took the job in Vance's office. If he didn't know about this before accepting the position, then he's a complete moron.

Hmmm. Not accurate. According to LinkedIn, Matt began working for the Manhattan DA in September 2015. The linked article at R216 was published in October 2017. Thus, two years [bold] after [/bold] the date when Matt began his tenure with the Manhattan DA. He certainly can’t be charged with knowing about an article that was two years in the future and one that aggravated facts some, of which were only beginning to occur in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 221July 21, 2022 8:45 PM

how could he not know MSG? he's from NJ!

by Anonymousreply 222July 21, 2022 11:10 PM

Where's your Jesus now, Matt?

by Anonymousreply 223July 21, 2022 11:19 PM

Damn, he lost!

by Anonymousreply 224July 21, 2022 11:27 PM

I'm shocked that Matt didn't know FJ! Even I knew and I know nothing about astronomy. But I know my sun signs. It was easy.

Guess it's just as well, we were all cooling towards as Matt as more was revealed of his past. And I do love that winner with the bright red hair - she's very cool and bright.

by Anonymousreply 225July 21, 2022 11:59 PM

I didn't get it R22 and I'm from NJ.

Soured on Matt when it was clear he's so religious. Go, Emmie, Go!

Got Final.

by Anonymousreply 226July 21, 2022 11:59 PM

I guessed Capricorn, but not Madison Square Garden. Bye Matt...

by Anonymousreply 227July 22, 2022 4:20 AM

He had also started doing that heavy sighing like that fat guy used to do.

by Anonymousreply 228July 22, 2022 5:10 AM

I had no idea on Final. But I also know little about astronomy.

Yeah, somehow Matt demise was a blessing. Was ready for him to leave.

I like Emmie.

by Anonymousreply 229July 22, 2022 9:48 AM

It's nice to have a revolving door of winners again. I do enjoy the occasional super champ but there've been so many these last two seasons. I like seeing new faces in champion's spot.

by Anonymousreply 230July 22, 2022 10:00 AM

I knew I was looking for a goat, but I came up with Airies which is a sheep. 50% credit?

by Anonymousreply 231July 22, 2022 10:20 AM

Kid - Goat - Capricorn

Easy as pie

by Anonymousreply 232July 22, 2022 12:50 PM

Pie!

by Anonymousreply 233July 22, 2022 2:34 PM

Pie!

by Anonymousreply 234July 22, 2022 4:44 PM

[quote] Pie!

by Anonymousreply 235July 22, 2022 4:57 PM

Pi!

by Anonymousreply 236July 22, 2022 6:03 PM

PIE???

by Anonymousreply 237July 22, 2022 9:04 PM

I got FJ wrong. I guessed Graceland.

by Anonymousreply 238July 23, 2022 12:02 AM

I knew it was the song with Chevy Chase in the video but I couldn't think of the title.

by Anonymousreply 239July 23, 2022 12:29 AM

I guessed "Cecelia" thinking Tipper Gore's real first name was Cecelia.

by Anonymousreply 240July 23, 2022 1:14 AM

I got FJ.

by Anonymousreply 241July 23, 2022 1:20 AM

FJ was easy, with the 1993 date.

No one knew "The Way We Were"?

by Anonymousreply 242July 23, 2022 1:31 AM

Guessed Graceland too. Didn't really think that the "Al" song was that much of a hit.

by Anonymousreply 243July 23, 2022 2:32 AM

I thought FJ was pretty easy with Tennessee and 1993 in an inaugural ball category. You can call me Al was all over MTV. It sucked.

by Anonymousreply 244July 23, 2022 3:04 AM

Me too R239. I knew it had something to do with 'Al' but I couldn't remember the rest if the song title (even though that melody is seared into my brain).

It became clear that none of the contestants were Dataloungers when Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford were mentioned in a clue and nobody can could come up with The Way We Were.

by Anonymousreply 245July 23, 2022 6:40 AM

Good bye, Emmie! We hardly knew ye.

by Anonymousreply 246July 23, 2022 1:09 PM

I was sorry to see Emmie go.

There was something about her that reminded me of a cartoon character - and I mean that in a good way.

If she had to lose, I would have preferred it to be to Dr. Gunan (if only because I found him attractive), but that wasn't the case.

Because of the TN reference, I knew "You Can Call me Al" before the question was even finished.

by Anonymousreply 247July 23, 2022 1:46 PM

I thought it was "Call Me Al", so probably wouldn't have gotten credit.

by Anonymousreply 248July 23, 2022 6:15 PM

“Stevie Nicks” for FJ was painfully obvious to me, but none of the players got it. The game can be so strange like that sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 249July 25, 2022 11:58 PM

R249, It was for me, as well.

by Anonymousreply 250July 26, 2022 12:46 AM

I hadn't a clue, R249. Obvious to me were: Allegheny River at Pittsburgh, atomic weight (practically gave that clue away), Macchiato, Kente cloth.

New champ reminds me a lot of a friend from Boston.

by Anonymousreply 251July 26, 2022 1:00 AM

Beyoncé and Gwen Stefani?? 🙄

I guessed Nicks too. I was surprised to find out that 95 year old Miss Ross was not a double inductee as a member of a group and as a solo artist.

by Anonymousreply 252July 26, 2022 1:46 AM

The latest on host search.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253July 26, 2022 2:05 AM

I guessed Joan Jett first, then switched to Stevie. But I guessed Clouseau instead of Clemenceau, and didn't switch...

by Anonymousreply 254July 26, 2022 3:04 AM

Like many of you guys, Stevie Nicks immediately came to mind as well. Haha R252, Beyonce and Gwen Stefani should be glad to know they're on the same career fast track that Ms. Ross has been put on several times on the show.

by Anonymousreply 255July 26, 2022 3:20 AM

I can't believe that no one got Stevie Nicks.

by Anonymousreply 256July 26, 2022 5:21 AM

I didn't get it either.

by Anonymousreply 257July 26, 2022 5:34 AM

I guessed Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 258July 26, 2022 5:55 AM

All jokes aside, Diana Ross is a good guess. But has she actually been inducted as a solo artist?

by Anonymousreply 259July 26, 2022 6:12 AM

No, r259.

by Anonymousreply 260July 26, 2022 6:16 AM

She was inducted in 1988 as part of the Supremes, not as a solo artist. I'm not sure the Supremes fit the "rock group" description in the clue, even though it is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

by Anonymousreply 261July 26, 2022 6:19 AM

She hasn't been inducted for this?!?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 26, 2022 6:21 AM

the final was so easy. I knew it had to be someone old and Stevie Nicks was the only one I could think of who had a successful solo career after being in a successful rock group

by Anonymousreply 263July 26, 2022 7:32 AM

Grace Slick is who came to my mind for Final, but I knew that was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 264July 26, 2022 7:38 AM

Thank you for the update, R253, disappointing though it is.

by Anonymousreply 265July 26, 2022 12:31 PM

I'm embarrassed to say Stevie Nicks never occurred to me.

I thought it was either Tina Turner or (God help me) Diana Ross - the latter if only because at this point, Ross eventually has to be the answer for [bold]something[/bold] on Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 266July 26, 2022 9:15 PM

nobody knew Dave Matthews Band? LOL

by Anonymousreply 267July 26, 2022 11:12 PM

and that lady has horrible hair!

by Anonymousreply 268July 26, 2022 11:12 PM

I was shocked no one knew Dave Matthews Band. I wish they had “Pop Culture Jeopardy.”

by Anonymousreply 269July 26, 2022 11:58 PM

I'm glad the middle guy didn't win. It drives me crazy when someone frantically clicks.

by Anonymousreply 270July 27, 2022 12:04 AM

I didn't know Dave Matthews either. I did, however, relate whelks to seashells, knew that the Exorcist girl was called Reagan, and that Astor the fur trader's middle name was Jacob.

Final I guessed Heffalump.

by Anonymousreply 271July 27, 2022 12:15 AM

[quote] I wish they had “Pop Culture Jeopardy.”

There was “Rock & Roll Jeopardy!” in the late ´90s on VH1, hosted by Jeff Probst, pre-Survivor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 27, 2022 12:19 AM

Love the current champ! As an elder gay it's great to see an older person exhibiting their sharp, wide-ranging intelligence. And he seems very modest and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 273July 27, 2022 12:19 AM

No—“hop” is NOT a sound a bunny can make. Sheesh, Ken.

by Anonymousreply 274July 27, 2022 12:45 AM

I got Stevie Nicks immediately. It seemed so obvious. Wasn’t 1998 also the year Fleetwood Mac re-did “The Chain”? That year helped me get to Stevie somehow right away.

by Anonymousreply 275July 27, 2022 1:02 AM

Another pretty quick and easy FJ. And yes R270, the middle guy was annoying as hell on the clicker. He was using his entire body, and that’s not efficient.

by Anonymousreply 276July 27, 2022 2:02 AM

I immediately figured it was someone from the Pooh Bear oeuvre.

by Anonymousreply 277July 27, 2022 2:44 AM

Saur - dinosaur - lizards

I think of all the different kinds of expertise that helps contestants, etymology is one of most broadly helpful.

Dave Mathews is toast, ha.

by Anonymousreply 278July 27, 2022 3:44 AM

R271, Regan, please.

by Anonymousreply 279July 27, 2022 4:06 AM

I guessed Eeyore, but wasn't sure how to spell it--looks like they didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 280July 27, 2022 4:44 AM

Yes, middle guy was annoying. Woman on the end did have strange hair.

I knew Regan from Exorcist.

I also knew Eeyore for Final. Show clearly didn't penalize for spelling on that one.

by Anonymousreply 281July 27, 2022 7:30 AM

I usually like geek, dorks, and nerds, but there was something really off about the middle guy last night.

by Anonymousreply 282July 27, 2022 10:49 AM

Middle guy had “virgin” written all over.

by Anonymousreply 283July 27, 2022 11:54 AM

R283, He appeared to be very nervous.

by Anonymousreply 284July 27, 2022 12:54 PM

It's official. EP Michael Davies says Ken and Mayim will be hosts for the next season.

Details of what each will be doing is in the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285July 27, 2022 8:01 PM

I like Ken and Mayim: having two hosts is working fine, as the ratings indicate.

by Anonymousreply 286July 27, 2022 8:10 PM

I'm shocked they didn't get FJ. I knew it was Galileo immediately.

by Anonymousreply 287July 28, 2022 12:09 AM

I almost fell into the trap they did, thinking that contemporary meant another poet from the same era. I then quickly realized the rest of the clue was really a clue and Galileo made sense.

by Anonymousreply 288July 28, 2022 12:23 AM

I'm not into poetry, so really had no idea who it could be for Final,

But Galileo was what popped in my mind as Ken read it. I figured it was wrong. Turns out it was right!

by Anonymousreply 289July 28, 2022 6:15 AM

Courage?

by Anonymousreply 290July 28, 2022 1:05 PM

I knew what they were going for in FJ but unfortunately chose Copernicus for some bizarre reason.

by Anonymousreply 291July 28, 2022 1:22 PM

From link at R285:

[quote]Ken will kick off the season in September, host the inaugural Second Chance competition and the heavily anticipated Tournament of Champions featuring Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, Mattea Roach, Ryan Long, and many, many more. His initial hosting run will take us through December.

I'm glad that Ken will be hosting the Tournament of Champions.

by Anonymousreply 292July 28, 2022 2:45 PM

Would any long-time viewers/posters kindly care to explain how the Tournament of Champions is organized? Do they begin with semis of the lower rated champions?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 293July 28, 2022 6:58 PM

Tournament lasts two week -- 10 episodes.

Tournament starts with 15 contestants in quarterfinal games. After five games and they go to the semi-finals with 9 contestants. Those 9 consist of the winners of each of the five quarterfinal games, plus the four highest scoring non-winners.

After three semi-final games narrow the field down to just three contestants, it moves to final.

Then the final is a two game affair. Person with the highest score after both games is the champ.

by Anonymousreply 294July 28, 2022 7:05 PM

Thank you, r294!

by Anonymousreply 295July 28, 2022 7:11 PM

Thank Jesus the biology prof is gone!

by Anonymousreply 296July 28, 2022 11:49 PM

Got final, but not right away, confusing Moors at first with Ottomans. I hope you all got Fernando (one of my favorite Abba songs), as well as Brandy (at least you fellow geezers), and Luddites.

Was rooting for the nun-like old dyke to pull off a surprise win myself.

by Anonymousreply 297July 29, 2022 12:03 AM

As a Luddite, I love Fernando and Brandy too. I was cheering for Heidi, and was sure she was going to sneak the win when she got Andorra correct. Ken seemed quite taken with the new champ Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 298July 29, 2022 2:50 AM

I said Malta. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 299July 29, 2022 4:47 AM

There's never been an easier Final.

by Anonymousreply 300July 29, 2022 6:43 AM

Good game. I liked Katrina and Heidi.

Yes, I knew Fernando and Brandy.

Also knew Final instantly.

by Anonymousreply 301July 29, 2022 6:49 AM

Katrina is very chill and likable. I’m here for her.

by Anonymousreply 302July 29, 2022 3:29 PM

Not a fan of Luigi, I'm afraid. Sad the other guy couldn't get Anne Boleyn.

by Anonymousreply 303July 30, 2022 12:11 AM

Some people are not happy with the decision.

Granted, it's the NY Post, so take it with many grains of salt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304July 30, 2022 2:22 AM

Just yesterday I was watching a show on Hank 8 and his advisors and they mentioned the lady that was beheaded because of the miscarriage but couldn’t recall her damn name.

🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 305July 30, 2022 2:40 AM

I've never heard of the song You Need to Calm Down. I'm assuming neither of them is interested in full-time, preferring to share it? I'd rather have her go first, and then be done with it from Jan until Sept instead.

When is the massive T o C with Matt, Amy, etc?

by Anonymousreply 306July 30, 2022 1:09 PM

Very good final game of the season. I liked all three players. Luigi was quite impressive.

I didn't recall that Anne Boyelin was beheaded after a miscarriage.

I did know Final was a laser.

by Anonymousreply 307July 30, 2022 10:19 PM

I thought of compact discs but didn’t follow through with the thought of how they are read.

by Anonymousreply 308July 30, 2022 11:35 PM

Didn't they use a similar Anne Boleyn clue for FJ a few months ago?

by Anonymousreply 309July 30, 2022 11:39 PM

I thought FJ was scanning. Without the word laster, would that have been accepted?

by Anonymousreply 310July 31, 2022 12:21 AM

^laser.

by Anonymousreply 311July 31, 2022 12:24 AM

It's doutbftul, r310

by Anonymousreply 312July 31, 2022 1:36 AM

What was going on tonight? Was it just a random rerun to remind us of the smugness of Matt Amodio? Are we seeing highlights of his championship run all week? Is it all reruns until the ToC begins in the fall?

And what was up with Mayim's hair and makeup? Did it actually once look worse than it does now?

by Anonymousreply 313August 2, 2022 1:38 AM

The season is over. They have reruns in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 314August 2, 2022 4:46 AM

They are airing random repeat episodes that feature people who likely will be in the Second Chances Tournament that will air early in the new season that starts in September.

In last week's announcement that Ken and Mayim will continue co-hosting duties next season, EP Michael Davies also said this about the six weeks of repeats:

[quote]Repeat season is upon us. But instead of repeating our tournaments as we have in the past, this year, my fellow producers and I have handpicked six weeks of some of our favorite episodes of the season, featuring our closest games, super-champions, and some of the people who will be announced as part of our inaugural Second Chance competition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315August 2, 2022 5:35 AM

Thanks for the explanation, r319. I missed the first minute of last night's show and had no idea what was happening.

by Anonymousreply 316August 2, 2022 1:46 PM

Team Matt!

by Anonymousreply 317August 2, 2022 6:21 PM

I will not be timing I. To hear Amodio’s annoying “What’s ______?”

So annoying and weird.

by Anonymousreply 318August 2, 2022 6:27 PM

Matt Amodio rerun, can not bear to watch

by Anonymousreply 319August 2, 2022 6:29 PM

No Jeopardy or Jan 6th Hearings in August. TV sucks right now.

by Anonymousreply 320August 2, 2022 6:30 PM

*tuning in to

by Anonymousreply 321August 2, 2022 7:09 PM

As a fan who only started watching Jeopardy once Amy really got going, I've been fascinated seeing Matt these past 3 days. Such a creepy guy. When he was winning every night for weeks on end, did you all hate him and root for his downfall? But I guess villains you love to hate can be very good for ratings.

Anyway, now I'll really be looking forward to ToC with Matt, Amy and Mattea. Were there any other long-time champs who might be featured in these current reruns that everyone loved? Will the ToC just cover winners from the last year or does it include winners from earlier seasons?

by Anonymousreply 322August 4, 2022 2:13 AM

I got tired of one contestant being the only voice heard. I didn't realize until dataloungers pointed out he buzzes in without having an answer ready. He thinks of the answer after buzzing in.

by Anonymousreply 323August 4, 2022 2:27 AM

That's a perfectly legit way of playing the game, r323. As long as you ultimately have the right answer.

by Anonymousreply 324August 4, 2022 2:37 AM

[quote]As a fan who only started watching Jeopardy once Amy really got going, I've been fascinated seeing Matt these past 3 days. Such a creepy guy.

Hmm, well, some of us found Amy pretty damned creepy. Even if we're not supposed to say that.

by Anonymousreply 325August 4, 2022 2:39 AM

dislike Amy and Matt. Rooted for Mattea.

by Anonymousreply 326August 4, 2022 2:44 AM

Children…children!!!

You’re all correct. Matt, Amy and Mattea are all ugly, awkward freaks.

by Anonymousreply 327August 4, 2022 2:46 AM

Margaret >>>>>> all the rest in the last year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328August 4, 2022 3:37 AM

I liked Matt. Couldn’t stand Amy and Mattea.

LOVED Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 329August 4, 2022 4:17 AM

What is Mike Richards up to?

by Anonymousreply 330August 4, 2022 6:00 AM

%330-His ass in debt.

by Anonymousreply 331August 4, 2022 2:03 PM

When do regular episodes (not championship) episodes return?

I really loathe Luigi (which I would bet is not his given first name) and his ostentatious, pretentious overpronunciation of foreign words. "Ju-cah-TAHN" OMG LOL

I was in hysterics as he stumbled repeatedly while trying to say "trompe l'oeil" as though Jeopardy were in French. Hey, Louie! Jeopardy is in English. When we use foreign words in English - especially if they have been fully adopted into English like "trompe l'oeil" - we adapt the foreign pronunciation into English sounds so as not to sound like a pretentious twat.

He was so fucking smug and obnoxious, I really don't want to see him again.

by Anonymousreply 332August 6, 2022 12:40 AM

Excuse my ignorance, R332, but what do you think is the "English pronunciation" of "trompe l'oeil?" I certainly HOPE you're not implying that the second word should be pronounced "loil." Are you???

by Anonymousreply 333August 6, 2022 12:42 PM

I don't like Luigi either.

Traditionally, the new season begins the Monday after Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 334August 6, 2022 12:58 PM

R333: "Tromp loy", as in "I tromped* through 18 inches of snow to attend a Myrna Loy retrospective."

*Assuming you pronounce "tromp" as "trawmp" not "trahmp", as many people in the East do. The "trompe" in "trompe l'oeil" should be "trawmp".

The point is that you acknowledge the foreign nature of the word as much as you can without having to change your mouth-setting from English to French or using sounds that don't exist in English.

by Anonymousreply 335August 7, 2022 12:15 AM

R335, seems to me you're overly concerned with how "trompe" should be pronounced in English. I think any of those pronunciations is acceptable, and as long as the second word is pronounced as "l'oy," we're fine.

by Anonymousreply 336August 7, 2022 4:16 AM

New episodes returning on Monday, September 12.

by Anonymousreply 337September 10, 2022 12:44 AM

Thats good news, thanks R337.

by Anonymousreply 338September 10, 2022 1:51 AM

So do the semi-finals (is that what they're called?) on Sept. 12? Do they save Mattea, Amy and Matt for the end? How does that work?

by Anonymousreply 339September 10, 2022 1:53 AM

Hopefully Mattea has had her teeth whitened or just completely replaced.

by Anonymousreply 340September 10, 2022 2:12 AM

The awful Luigi returns!

by Anonymousreply 341September 10, 2022 3:31 PM

I can't wait until I don't have to look at the likes of Mattea or Amy again.

by Anonymousreply 342September 10, 2022 4:01 PM

R342, Or listen to Ryan Long gasp.

by Anonymousreply 343September 10, 2022 7:08 PM

New thread for the new season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344September 11, 2022 11:06 PM

I don't need sleeves!

by Anonymousreply 345September 12, 2022 12:27 AM

R345, Wrong thread, mate.

by Anonymousreply 346September 12, 2022 12:54 AM

I don't need sleeves!

by Anonymousreply 347September 12, 2022 12:57 AM

Ok, the choices for contestants continues to boggle the mind. A PAPERBOY???? If he delivers as slowly as he speaks, you'll get your news 4 days late.

by Anonymousreply 348September 13, 2022 3:04 PM

An ultra easy FJ to begin the new season.

The woman contestant was an idiot . . . "12 Downing Street"?

by Anonymousreply 349September 13, 2022 4:27 PM

damn, I missed the show. gonna record it tonight, in case I forget again.

by Anonymousreply 350September 13, 2022 4:36 PM

How could April not realize that Luigi would bet big in FJ?

She seemed desolate after losing to him.

by Anonymousreply 351September 14, 2022 5:21 PM

Pretty stupid move, April.

by Anonymousreply 352September 14, 2022 5:54 PM

Could the Final Jeopardy answers get any easier this week?

by Anonymousreply 353September 15, 2022 5:21 PM

Is there another Jeopardy! thread?

Where are Mister Cocoa, Johnny Gilbert, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 354September 15, 2022 10:19 PM

Yes, there is a thread for the new season:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355September 15, 2022 10:25 PM

r354, meet r344.

by Anonymousreply 356September 16, 2022 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!