Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do male actors suffer from homophobia in Hollywood?

I know that Hollywood is supposed to be liberal and open minded, but I still think that Hollywood is controlled by straight male Studio Execs, Directors, Producers, etc.

I have to wonder if openly gay males are treated badly by these "alpha males?"

I was watching Yellowstone and the Executive Producers are all straight douchebro males like Kevin Costner and Taylor Sheridan (and crew), and I was wondering what it's like for gay guys like Ian Bohen to work on that kind of set.

It doesn't seem like a very gay friendly environment.

Especially in Marvel movies, Science Fiction movies, Westerns, and Action movies that dominate Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2022 10:06 AM

Millionaires suffer SO much!

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2022 6:07 AM

Of course, OP.

The liberalness on many is just a facade. They worship Mammon, and will wear whatever costume they have to in order to get it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2022 6:09 AM

[Quote] and I was wondering what it's like for gay guys like Ian Bohen to work on that kind of set.

Ian isn't gay, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2022 12:21 PM

[quote]Do male actors suffer from homophobia in Hollywood?

I highly doubt that they enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2022 12:23 PM

Unfortunately much of the homophobia comes from gay men themselves who are convince that anything that is "too gay" will not play well in Middle America and thus put their own jobs in jeopardy.

Same reason Jewish studio executives toned down the Jewishness on Seinfeld, Friends and Mad About You in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2022 12:25 PM

[quote] Unfortunately much of the homophobia comes from gay men themselves who are convince that anything that is "too gay" will not play well in Middle America and thus put their own jobs in jeopardy.

Or people like R3, who is delusional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2022 2:28 PM

Ian and his best pal JR Bourne are most definitely gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2022 2:57 PM

R7 JR is but Ian is straight.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2022 2:58 PM

Ask Matt Bomer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2022 3:21 PM

Boys in the Band on Broadway actors talk about being in an all gay cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2022 3:29 PM

Luke evans was out in the uk but went back in when he tried to hit it big in Hollywood. His PR in america even set him up with a gf…

Tom hardy was open about everything including his fluid sexuality both on a tv interview and in a printed magazine but is now “closed off” and get defensive if a reporter asked.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2022 3:30 PM

There is standing room only in the Hollywood Closet. Movies have made great strides with accepting other minorities but gay characters are almost nowhere to be seen. And Gay men especially are encouraged to stay in the closet. Hollywood is still filled with homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2022 3:33 PM

Do gay guys get bullied on set?

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2022 3:33 PM

R12, very well said. I worked at WB and that was my feeling too.

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2022 3:35 PM

I've spent my entire adult life behind the scenes in this business. So here is my answer to that.

No. Most people on the creative side couldn't care less about it. Most actors are bisexual as well or at the very least not straight. I know fraus and delusional gays want to think otherwise, but that's what it is. There are more actors and celebrities laughing at people trying to figure out their sexualities than guys like Colton Haynes who had problems being in the closet. Most enjoy the attention and playing with people's expectations. People like Froy and Richard are more common than you think.

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2022 3:47 PM

Why is Kevin Costner a douche?

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2022 3:50 PM

[quote] People like Froy and Richard are more common than you think.

They might be more common, but definitely not as open.

The only reason we know about Richard and Froy, is because they LET us know. So I commend Richard for having the guts to do it.

As far as the ones we don't know about? I think they're just cowards.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2022 3:51 PM

[quote] I've spent my entire adult life behind the scenes in this business.

I man the craft services table

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2022 3:52 PM

I actually started as part of the crew even though my mom's best friend was a famous EP and my godfather is a well known production designer. I now work in development.

As for homophobia, if you're talking about opportunities, it is what you see, but behind the scenes this is the most gay friendly business there is. As in real life, masculine men, gay or bi are treated better, does that make it homophobic? You tell me.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2022 4:04 PM

[quote] behind the scenes this is the most gay friendly business there is

That's really good to know.

Thanks for your input R19/R16.

Of all the careers, you would hope that the entertainment industry is at the very least, friendly to gay people.

That said, I don't think it's the industry that forces these guys into the closet. I think it's the Hollywood "bottom line" that does that.

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2022 4:07 PM

Miles Teller.

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2022 4:11 PM

[quote] The only reason we know about Richard and Froy, is because they LET us know. So I commend Richard for having the guts to do it.

There are dozens of gay/bi celebrities attending basketball/football/baseball games with their male partners or hookup of the month/week, you just assume they're friends. They're usually not. Some are married to women but they also like men, usually the ones sitting next to them at the games.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2022 4:28 PM

Only the hot ones R22

The ugly guys are actually there to watch the Lakers

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2022 4:30 PM

I know you're joking R23 but most of my gay friends play rugby or basketball. I met my ex on a rugby match. Our third date was on a Lakers game. What does that make me? To me that's very common. Didn't Kal Penn say the same thing about his boyfriend when he came out?

by Anonymousreply 24July 5, 2022 4:44 PM

Ian Bohen seems borderline conservative based on his Twitter, so the straights can have him.

by Anonymousreply 25July 5, 2022 4:47 PM

“ As in real life, masculine men, gay or bi are treated better, does that make it homophobic? You tell me.”

So just like within the gay community

by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2022 4:50 PM

I am a big sports fan too R24, but it is admittedly not a big thing with the sorts of gays who are part of "the scene"

Sports (or "sportsball" as they derisively refer to it) is a trigger for many of the Eldergays on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2022 4:51 PM

Anything you'd care to share, R22??

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2022 5:00 PM

Why is DL so anti sports and regular guys?

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2022 5:08 PM

R18 Service people are all ears. I wouldn't look down on their opinions.

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2022 6:11 PM

Of course they experience some kind of homophobia, or else why would so many of them remain publicly closeted (even in oh-so-obvious glass ones)? But I think that's more so from the sexual politics of how the industry is run than from actual peers. As someone said above, most of the creative side is probably about as gay-tolerant as it comes, at the very least. Other parts of the industry I'm sure have their fair share of homophobes though. And sadly, many of the gatekeepers heavily suggesting clients stay in the closet are far too often fellow gay folks themselves. Then again, Hollywood has this whole 'don't ask, don't tell'/'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' kind of mentality.

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2022 10:47 AM

They're treated fine on set and in Hollywood circles. But they're told to tone it down or hide it in public for their career.

Also this seems like a troll thread to start rumors about some guy named Ian Bohen or something.

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2022 11:51 AM

I can't imagine there's any degree of open homophobia behind Hollywood's scenes. People who only see other people in terms of how much money can be made from them don't care about anyone's sexual orientation but their own!

But yes, out gay actors still face some challenges, some roles just aren't available to them - like James Bond. And IMHO that isn't done because the Hollywood Powers That Be are all that homophobic themselves... but they assume that movie-goers ARE homophobic. So Hollywood doesn't hold the out actors back out of hatred, but because they're afraid of what other people will think.

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2022 11:40 PM

I would never advise a young, good-looking guy, with leading man potential to come out. I guess that's homophobia since that is enabling the closet. If someone is aiming to be a character actor or isn't aiming to get any higher than 4 or 5 on the call sheet, then come out and scream it from the rooftops. It's unfair, but you have to choose.

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2022 11:55 PM

[Quote] So Hollywood doesn't hold the out actors back out of hatred, but because they're afraid of what other people will think.

Which is depressing. It's fucking 2022 😔

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2022 11:40 AM

Marvel films are gay from outer space. They couldn't be gayer if they were Busby Berkeley musicals.

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2022 11:49 AM

R22 Look at Tom Hiddleston and his date with Lawrence Spellman at Wimbledon. You could see that situation from the moon!

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2022 11:59 AM

Masculine gay guys will be fine as long as they fit in with the bros.

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2022 12:51 PM

Ask Colton Haynes. His memoir gives you an insider view.

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2022 1:02 PM

It seems odd that Ian Bohen’s and JR Bourne’s IMDB pages list each other as best friends. Like, 1940s *best friends*? Like Uncle Shirley has lived with his roommate Lance for 60 years?

Late to Teen Wolf, but it had to have been the gayest cast ever. Fanfiction wet dream.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2022 6:24 PM

[Quote] Late to Teen Wolf, but it had to have been the gayest cast ever. Fanfiction wet dream.

I'm sure the creator of said show had nothing to do with that. Ironically fandom latched on to the 2 straight actors and characters.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2022 11:48 AM

[quote]Ian and his best pal JR Bourne are most definitely gay.

They're STRAIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2022 12:02 PM

OP is a closet MAGA btw. Subtly trying to tell us that liberals are bad.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2022 12:05 PM

^BUSTED!

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2022 8:56 PM

Yes we do but we should really open up our space to allow our trans siblings and queer people of color to be centered.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2022 9:14 PM

You'd think being a famous celebrity would be the worst thing for a gay or bi actor. But in a perverse way it is actually easier to hide in plain site.

Would Tom Cruise be successful as an eligible bachelor in some flyover company? The scrutiny would be unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2022 9:22 PM

R43 well then they failed.

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2022 10:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!