Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m Ready for the Mayfair Witches

Alexandra Daddario has been cast in the lead role of the “Mayfair Witches” series at AMC, Variety has learned exclusively.

Based on Anne Rice’s “The Lives of the Mayfair Witches” novels, the show was picked up to series at AMC in December 2021. Daddario will star as Rowan, a brilliant doctor who grapples with her fate as the heir to a family of powerful witches.

“Alexandra is a singular talent who has lit up the screen in everything she’s been in and we couldn’t be happier to have her on board leading the cast of a series that will be a centerpiece of an expanding Anne Rice universe on AMC+ and AMC,” said Dan McDermott, president of entertainment and AMC Studios for AMC Networks. “We found our Rowan and can’t wait for her to meet viewers later this year in a series being brilliantly conceived and led by Esta, Michelle and Mark.”

This marks the latest major TV role for Daddario in recent years. She was last seen in the critically-acclaimed first season of HBO’s “The White Lotus.” She has also starred in shows like “Why Women Kill,” “The Girlfriend Experience,” and “True Detective.” On the film side, Daddario is known for her roles in features such as “San Andreas,” “We Have Always Lived in a Castle,” “Lost Transmissions,” and “Can You Keep a Secret?,” the last of which she also executive produced.

Daddario is repped by UTA, Untitled Entertainment, Rogers & Cowan PMK and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

“Mayfair Witches” has been given an eight-episode first season order, with AMC planning to launch the show on its linear channel and streamer AMC Plus later in 2022.

Esta Spalding and Michelle Ashford serve as writers and executive producers on the series, with Spalding also serving as showrunner. AMC Studios, where Spalding is currently under an overall deal, will produce.

Variety exclusively reported in 2020 that AMC had acquired the rights to Rice’s book series “The Vampire Chronicles” and “The Lives of the Mayfair Witches,” comprising 18 titles in total. Mark Johnson, who also has an overall deal with AMC Studios, is overseeing the development of the books into a streaming and television universe. Anne Rice and her son Christopher serve as executive producers on all series and films developed under the deal, though Anne passed away in December 2021.

“Mayfair Witches” is one of two series based on Rice’s work currently in the works at AMC, with a series version of “Interview with the Vampire” starring Sam Reid and Jacob Anderson currently in production.

Does anyone know the date? Any insiders?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 21, 2023 11:22 AM

Remember when Star Trek: The Next Generation tried this plot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2022 12:34 PM

The Witching Hour is my favorite Rice book. I’m excited for this.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2022 12:36 PM

[Quote] “Alexandra is a singular talent who has lit up the screen in everything she’s been in

She most certainly did on True Detective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2022 12:15 PM

[quote]I’m Ready for the Mayfair Witches

And I'm ready for the Grim Reaper.

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2022 12:16 PM

I thought Rowan had white blonde hair?

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2022 12:25 PM

Ah yes, the incest books. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2022 12:34 PM

R6 incest GHOST books....yee-haw!

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2022 12:37 PM

I don’t recall Rowan having enormous tits, but whatevs.

The real question is who is playing hunky Michael?

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2022 3:02 PM

This series featured Mona, the nympho 15-y-o who "seduced" most of her male relatives. Her character was presented as a frustrating scamp rather than someone who'd been groomed to act out sexually by a disembodied spirit--the same spirit that had been grooming the entire family for generations. The ghost also sexually assaults a sleeping Rowan in, as I recall it, the first book's opening scene. Wow, this novel has stuck with me for almost 30 years.

In any case, this smut is just a bit too smutty for me, and I watch daytime soaps.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2022 8:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2022 9:53 PM

Jack Huston is playing Lasher. He's not hot enough for the role.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2022 9:58 PM

R11, would you rather Anjelica Huston play Lasher?

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2022 10:07 PM

"a singular talent who has lit up the screen in everything she’s been???

LOL

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2022 10:46 PM

She's dazzling, she's exciting, and very, very sexy!

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2022 5:34 AM

She has the type of crazy eyes that creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2022 5:41 AM

Yep. Amanda Peet eyes.

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2022 5:49 AM

She's fine in romcoms, even when they're terrible. But she seems to like horror as well.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2022 6:04 AM

I am looking forward to this, and the Vampire Chronicles show - just sad that Anne passed away before she got to see them.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2022 10:14 AM

Photographs don't always do her justice, when you see her on TV she's stunning.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2022 11:10 AM

She was on a few episodes of White Collar. I thought she had intense beautiful eyes. Then I discovered she has a brother who's also an actor. Oh yea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2022 1:06 PM

[Quote] Then I discovered she has a brother who's also an actor.

Apparently Alexander and Matthew aren't close anymore because of who he's married to - her family is Republican 🤢

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2022 1:10 PM

R21, I can’t blame them.

I’ve had female friends marry anti-gay racist bigots who reenact civil war battles. It’s ended the friendships.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2022 1:34 PM

The trailer is out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2022 5:06 AM

Is it just me or does it seem like a letdown compared to Interview with the Vampire?

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2022 5:51 AM

Please God, let them skip the whole Rowan + Lestat 4EVER bullshit from Blood Canticle.

Rice's fandom fucking REBELLED over that mess.

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2022 6:06 AM

R24, it seems like it because it is. The Mayfair Witches books were never on the level of the Vampire Chronicles.

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2022 6:17 AM

She was fine as part of the ensemble for White Lotus.

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2022 6:29 AM

R23 of course they used a Halsey song.

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2022 6:55 AM

r24 Yes, it looks like a CW spinoff of the main Interview show, in just about every aspect. I'm getting slight AHS: Coven and True Blood vibes from the trailer, which isn't necessarily bad.

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2022 6:56 AM

So wan and boring.

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2022 7:15 AM

God, she just seems so DUMB with the mouth hanging open and the drawling, vocal fry line readings. Hot body and beautiful face… but just overall aura of “empty headed sorority girl.”

You need a brilliant Hitchcock blonde for this role. Do they make them any more?

by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2022 9:20 AM

Amanda Seyfred or one of the Fannings would be much better as Rowan.

by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2022 10:10 AM

Her acting looks so bad in the trailer. She’s nothing but a set of eyes

by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2022 10:34 AM

she is many things R33

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 7, 2022 11:24 AM

Hope she doesn't play another murdered rape victim in this.

by Anonymousreply 35October 7, 2022 2:00 PM

It’s out on AMC+. The first episode is pretty good and exactly what I expected it to be. Slow burn and heavy on atmosphere.

Also, Beth Grant!

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2023 4:51 PM

Here is a recent trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2023 4:52 PM

Just watched episode 1. I can barely describe how depressing this is. Depressing and cheaply made. Disappointing and low budget with tepid/flavorless writing. I like Alexandra…but she is the only compelling actor in the cast…and it’s just not enough.

The other actors are embarrassingly amateurish. The supporting actors are bad. The minor roles even worse. Erica Gimpel is awful…this is one of those programs that gives an actress a headscarf and a pained expression and…”it’s cancer.” This is the laziest piece of shit I’ve seen in ages. Harry Hamlin is dreadful and his hair dye is absurd. The actress who plays teen Deirdre seems like she is performing in a New Jersey public high school production of Phantom of the Opera.

This production has no tone. It is neither scary nor romantic nor thrilling nor witty nor melodramatic. It is lifeless. It is generically shot and directed. Everything appears blueish gray. There are no establishing shots before scenes begin. The few effects are terrible. There is a morphing face moment with Lasher…the morphing technology in Michael Jackson’s Black or White—from 1991– is superior.

What is good? Alexandra is trying hard, there are some brief shots of lovely Garden District homes, and there is a bartender with a great body but the sex scene looks like it was shot by the Vatican’s film crew.

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2023 12:42 AM

38% on rotten tomatoes. 🥴

How did Interview with the Vampire turn into such a critically acclaimed production and this is getting thrown in the gutter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2023 1:35 AM

Anyone watch?

by Anonymousreply 40January 9, 2023 4:18 AM

Yes, found it pretty dull.

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2023 7:41 PM

Episode 2 is a lot better. There’s actually a plot!

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2023 7:15 AM

Yeah, her eyes have always been creepy to me.

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2023 7:52 AM

It was awful and dumb, and.the actor who plays Lasher is a deadful bore.

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2023 7:59 AM

R44 you know that is Jack Huston who is Anjelica Huston’s nephew and John Huston’s grandson.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2023 9:53 AM

Daddario was overrated in White Lotus so no surprise she couldn’t carry this.

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2023 10:13 AM

I loved Interview so I tuned in for this. God it was dull.

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2023 4:21 PM

Daddario is overrated, period. Yay, she gets her tits out. Yawn.

It's her brother who is the hot piece of ass.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2023 4:23 PM

While I am happy they’re introducing the Talamasca from the jump, I cannot be more annoyed they merged Michael and Aaron Lightner into a single character—Ciprien. Tongayi Chirisa’s body is strong and his characterization sufficiently cerebral to do a good job as Rowan’s love interest and protector. It’s a let down in that I like both characters in the books.

My Michael was always Julian McMahon. He’d make a good Oncle Julien now.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2023 1:12 AM

Episode 4 was actually pretty good. Beth Grant was amazing when she tried to set the dining room on fire and purge Rowan of her sins by burning her alive.

by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2023 12:53 AM

[quote] The book was SO good, The series stinks.

by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2023 2:52 AM

Do you think it will get renewed?

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2023 11:17 PM

I am not liking it at all.

by Anonymousreply 53February 4, 2023 5:13 AM

It's ok? I haven't read the books but it sounds like they got the casting wrong with Lasher. I find the complaints about Rowan being a wimp odd considering how much she's been through in such a short amount of time. Oh and fuck Sparkle Motion for what she did to the maid.

R52 Mayfair Witches is getting a second season.

by Anonymousreply 54February 6, 2023 6:18 AM

This show is god awful. Really disappointing after how good Interview with the Vampire was.

I think the key thing missing in this series that Interview had aplenty... RAUNCHY GAY SEX!!

Showrunners for this embarrassment need to address this deficiency for Season 2 if they want to have any chance of staying on the air.

by Anonymousreply 55February 6, 2023 6:55 AM

This chick has scary eyes.

by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2023 7:16 AM

R55 as shitty as this show is it's getting better ratings than Interview, probably BECAUSE of the lack of gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 57February 6, 2023 7:20 AM

I’d hoped for a faithful epic telling of the story. Instead, we get this reimagined dreck. I love the lead, but she doesn’t possess Rowan’s steely demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 58February 7, 2023 10:26 PM

Interview was much better. You can tell it received more production money. I’ve enjoyed Mayfair, though. It’s been years since I read the books so don’t recall much, which probably allows me to just enjoy it. The actor playing Ciprien is🔥

by Anonymousreply 59February 7, 2023 10:34 PM

I’m curious who people would have cast for Lasher over Huston?

by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2023 3:47 PM

I almost fell sorry for the actors in this show.

by Anonymousreply 61February 19, 2023 3:53 PM

I have no intention to follow this series any further. They fucked it up, it stinks

by Anonymousreply 62February 19, 2023 6:10 PM

Almost being the key word R61

by Anonymousreply 63February 20, 2023 6:58 AM

OP here. I regret making this thread because this turned out to be such a horrible show. I should have known when I saw the lackluster trailer.

I think I stopped after episode 4 or 5. It just wasn’t worth my time to continue to watch.

by Anonymousreply 64February 20, 2023 7:01 AM

It really is bad, isn't it? And I resent the AMC media team for posting that "if you thought Interview was good, you're definitely not ready for Mayfair Witches" crap all over the socials in sheer desperation, fully knowing this was hot garbage.

About the only thing working in favour of the show is the gorgeous lighting. I don't think any TV series or movie has ever employed the orange-teal combo as marvelously as this show. That level of attention to detail is a joy to behold, hopefully someone snatches that gaffer pronto and gives him/her a raise while they're at it.

I'm still watching only because shows featuring witches have always been my weak spot.

by Anonymousreply 65February 20, 2023 3:39 PM

Lord, the female kidnapper who just happened to be a former employee with a cancer riddled child whose coverage was revoked post-layoff from a Mayfair company is an example of lazy writing. Rowan not immediately disabling everyone was stupid as well. Oh, bitch had to pause to allow fatal injury that only Lasher can correct is obvious bullshit. Ugh!

I am really simple when it comes to writing quality compared to my more refined, discerning friends. When I think it’s shit, it must be ridiculously bad.

by Anonymousreply 66February 20, 2023 10:17 PM

The most interesting thing about this show is what it tells you about AMC: they're too broke to pull off what they're trying to do.

Despite their lofty ambitions to build this big franchise universe, they obviously spent all their money on Interview with the Vampire and are trying to do this series on a budget. But doing fantasy shows on the cheap won't build the prestige they want--it makes them the SyFy network. It feels like they didn't even try with the Mayfair Witches, and were hoping no one would notice.

by Anonymousreply 67February 21, 2023 11:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!