Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbara Bush

One of the wittiest and sassiest first ladies in history.

Barbara ran the White House like she did her household- with a humorous iron fist.

She was a major activist for family literacy, education, mental healthy issues, historical preservation, gay and women's rights, and AIDS relief.

Despite being from a wealthy New England family, an education from Smith, and an affinity for the arts, Barbara was also down-to-Earth and relatable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 31, 2023 2:20 PM

She's a real bitch

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2022 6:29 PM

Are you fucking kidding?

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2022 6:29 PM

Biggest bitch in the White House

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2022 6:29 PM

BIOTCH

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2022 6:31 PM

It looked like old george had a old mother fixation.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2022 6:32 PM

Raving racist bitch, currently roasting over a spitfire in hell.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2022 6:35 PM

Barbara Bush went public about being pro-choice., But only AFTER she left the White House

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2022 6:37 PM

She found a great way to lighten age spots!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2022 6:39 PM

Someone named OP doesn't actually read DL.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2022 6:40 PM

But it's working out great for them.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2022 6:40 PM

She was not witty, and her "sass" was the same old upper-class put-down cuntery one still expects from fat, ugly rich women whose husbands fucked around on her. George's girlfriends and all.

Plus this horrible, deranged, racist cunt kept her dead fetus in a jar and showed it to her children.

Her rotting is the only positive thing to say about her. Filthy hate-filled bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2022 6:42 PM

Why does everyone hate Barbara on here? She was a supporter of human rights

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2022 6:43 PM

Awww….she looks just like Grandma.

Grandma was a raging cunt too.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2022 6:43 PM

This is inaccurate.

But I am sympathetic.

Near the end of her life, Mrs Bush was required by the family to campaign for her son whilst requiring supplemental oxygen and assistance with mobility.

This is very sad.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2022 6:44 PM

"Why does everyone hate Barbara on here? She was a supporter of human rights "

Oh, honey, she was a Republican. They don't actually believe any of that nonsense, it's just for show 🙄

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2022 6:46 PM

R15 I really think Barbara believed in it, not just for show.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2022 6:47 PM

^ What makes you think that?

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2022 6:48 PM

R17 She was outspoken about it. She was the only Republican who was at the time.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2022 6:50 PM

She thought Nancy Reagan was a silly, frivolous cunt and only associated with her when she absolutely had to.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2022 6:50 PM

[quote] Barbara ran the White House like she did her household- with a humorous iron fist.

And which was also the way she made love!

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2022 6:51 PM

Bar was a barking cunt in many ways, but she was a vocal supporter of Roe v. Wade, and of human rights especially for children. You'll see evidence of that in her memoir, and in the memoirs of many people affiliated with her husband's administration.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2022 6:53 PM

Marilyn Quayle was not involved in the Bush 41 Administration. It was all on Babs to represent women.

by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2022 6:56 PM

Her husband was a groper, her son was a coke addict, Mama did SOMETHING right. All I can think of is the scene in Borat when he asks for plastic surgery and shows a picture to the doctor. "Can you make me look like this man?" "That's Barbara Bush."

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2022 7:16 PM

Bitch could rock a string of pearls...

That's all I got 🤔

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2022 7:19 PM

A man in a wig.

by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2022 7:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2022 7:20 PM

With great loathsome pomposity, she went to the mat for Uncle Clarence Tom

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2022 7:22 PM

"Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? It’s not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2022 7:22 PM

No one could sell oats quite like she could!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2022 7:27 PM

Now that’s a women who KNOWS how to hate!

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2022 7:27 PM

Hurricane Katrina - when folks had to be bused out of NO - "Well, it seems to be working out marvelously for them!" I thought to myself " Damn! That's some shit, THERE!"

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2022 7:30 PM

“Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them,” Mrs. Bush told American Public Media’s “Marketplace” program, before returning to her multi-million dollar Houston home.

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2022 7:31 PM

Advocated for AIDS relief? What the fuck does that mean? Why was I out protesting her husband with ACT-UP then?

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2022 7:32 PM

Is that one of the founding fathers cross dressing?

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2022 7:36 PM

“Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them"

They lost everything in the flood, including their jobs. They moved to higher ground and looked for new opportunities and a fresh start in another state and were grateful for the opportunity to begin anew.

Her son, Jr. was widely criticized for fumbling the national response to Hurricane Katrina. Her flippant remarks can be perceived as defensive and borderline cruel.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2022 7:47 PM

Why is her picture still on the one dollar bill?

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2022 7:48 PM

She was the Republican Party's version of Vera Donovan, a high riding bitch in a man's world!

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2022 7:50 PM

She has nothing on Trump throwing paper towels at Puerto Ricans.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2022 9:55 PM

"Contrary to rumor, that is not me on the Quaker oatmeal box."

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2022 9:58 PM

She's a hoot

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2022 1:24 AM

How can a fist be humorous?

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2022 1:27 AM

Sounds like someone is desperately trying to rehabilitate her public persona. She was a bitch on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2022 1:28 AM

R42 but a funny bitch

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2022 1:31 AM

We haven't had real class in the WH since. The Obamas were class too. But I mean old white anglo saxon protestant class.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2022 1:42 AM

OP, you must be new here. Were you born in 2003?

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2022 1:47 AM

interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2022 1:50 AM

The Klannies on here probably covet her pearls (for clutching).

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2022 1:56 AM

A partison hack bitch. Normal people gave her a pass because she seemed like the president's grandmother rather than his wife.

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2022 2:19 AM

True, she lacked Hillary Clinton's warmth and common touch.

Politics is fucking tough and most wives of presidents are too.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2022 2:32 AM

I would never ask my elderly mother, who is infirm and requires supplemental oxgyen to breathe and a cane to stand upright to hit the streets for me. These people hate their mother even more than I hate mine.

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2022 2:33 AM

Gather the names of all of the fags who dare to criticize me here...

You know what to do with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2022 3:02 AM

Pretty sure Granny Goodness from Superman the animated Series and Justice League was based on her. Voiced by Ed Asner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2022 3:24 AM

She had demonic hordes at her beck and call, you know.

by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2022 3:34 AM

Oh how I wish she had turned that cuntery on Melanoma Trump in 2016.

She was still America’s grandmother, she could have given a passive aggressive interview and mentioned Melanoma’s inability to wear panties or a bra and her nudes.

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2022 3:38 AM

Here is actual audio of Barbara Bush saying that Black Hurricane Katrina victims who were being housed in the Houston Astrodome were "underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them." This audio has been scrubbed from the internet for years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2022 5:11 AM

Sorry R52 but Granny Goodness debuted in the early 70s.

What great work did she do for the LGBT community except light a candle for AIDS victims?

This list of causes above is very padded on her resume.

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2022 5:30 AM

R30 I always wondered what the background of that quote from Trickie Dick was all about.

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2022 7:07 AM

She was a saint compared to Margaret Thatcher and Nancy Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 58August 9, 2022 7:10 AM

she was a cunt

by Anonymousreply 59August 9, 2022 7:13 AM

r41 Ask Señor Wences. 🤛

by Anonymousreply 60August 9, 2022 7:41 AM

Then how did her dumb fuck sons become that way?

by Anonymousreply 61August 9, 2022 7:50 AM

Please provide the documentation of anything she ever did for LGBT folks. You won’t be able to present anything because she did nothing. Those were hard times for us, and that family did nothing. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 62August 9, 2022 8:00 AM

Well. She was better than Melanja and Nancy Reagan. I guess I'll give her that.

by Anonymousreply 63August 9, 2022 8:35 AM

R3 No. Nancy Reagan takes that title.

by Anonymousreply 64August 9, 2022 8:36 AM

She was a dumb cunt.

When she took Hillary on a tour do the White House after Bill won, Hillary asked her to see the Rose Garden and the famous Snowball Bush planted by Betty Ford.

Barbara replied “No need to walk all that way.” She then lifted her skirt and showed Hillary her wildly overgrown pubic area and said “It looks like this but thicker”.

by Anonymousreply 65August 9, 2022 8:37 AM

If Barbara had worked to remove Karl Rove, who worked for the Reagan-Bush administration, from American politics and stopped him from convincing Reagan to eliminate the Fairness Doctrine that required nonpartisan views in broadcasting, then she would be worthy of praise. Instead, like all of the other people in the inner circle of the West Wing, she went along and benefited from Rove’s policy work, which led to the creation of Fox News and conspiracy theorists getting access to the airwaves.

by Anonymousreply 66August 9, 2022 8:51 AM

OP, kindly go fuck yourself, and take your GOP propaganda elsewhere. No one wants your bullshit here.

by Anonymousreply 67August 9, 2022 10:23 AM

[quote]but she was a vocal supporter of Roe v. Wade

She was not, liar, and you know that. She made one statement, [italic]once, [/quote]after her husband left office. She gave countless speeches as first lady, addressed multiple GOP conventions over the years, and stood by silently countless times as her husband campaigned on overturning Roe and "ending abortion." She never spoke out when it mattered and never took one risk in favor of protecting reproductive right. Stop whitewashing history and stop expecting anyone here is dumb enough to swallow your blatant lies.

by Anonymousreply 68August 9, 2022 10:32 AM

The cuntiest cunt who ever cunted.

by Anonymousreply 69August 9, 2022 10:44 AM

The rehabilitation of the Bush clan makes me angry.

by Anonymousreply 70August 9, 2022 10:59 AM

^ Is anyone really interested in the rehabilitation of the Bush clan?

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2022 11:28 AM

Racist, evil bitch.

by Anonymousreply 72August 9, 2022 11:47 AM

I loved it when Pat Stevens had Barbara on her show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 9, 2022 12:23 PM

I was hard to suppress laughter when a friend in all seriousness called her “America’s Grandma”.

by Anonymousreply 74August 9, 2022 1:13 PM

A Republican speaking about choice is so rare it's always speaking out when it matters.

Barbara Bush was a person who could be really kind and really awful and, stealing and paraphrasing somebody else's line, the kind of person who hadn't had lunch with someone who rents in fifty years. The unhinged emergence of DL's mommy issues are as repellent as anything Bar ever did.

by Anonymousreply 75August 9, 2022 1:13 PM

R14, her family never "made" Barbara Pierce "I Am An Angry Cunt For Life" Bush do anything. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 76August 9, 2022 1:20 PM

[quote]Is that one of the founding fathers cross dressing?

Please don't give Lin-Manuel Miranda any ideas. No one wants to see a trans "Hamilton."

by Anonymousreply 77August 9, 2022 1:48 PM

Barbara Bush is on my fantasy list of ladies to have lunch with, alive or dead.

Other notables:

Wallis Simpson Roy Cohn Dorothy Kilgallen and Pamela Harriman

by Anonymousreply 78August 9, 2022 2:32 PM

R71 The media seems to be. Some of my friends.

by Anonymousreply 79August 9, 2022 4:42 PM

[quote]One of the wittiest and sassiest first ladies in history.

Did someone say SASSY?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 9, 2022 5:26 PM

R78 Wallis Simpson? Really? Out of every other woman in history, you pick that spoiled rotten cunt? You've got to be kidding.

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2022 10:28 PM

Married to a President and gave birth to one. A great Lady. Jill Biden can't even keep her fucking hair combed.

by Anonymousreply 82August 9, 2022 10:49 PM

^ Oh, Snap! 🙄

God, you trolls and your witties

by Anonymousreply 83August 9, 2022 11:03 PM

R77 I now want to see that!!!

by Anonymousreply 84August 10, 2022 1:27 AM

"Married to a President and gave birth to one. A great Lady. "

MARY, R82. Her husband was a one-term failure and her son lied to get the U.S. to invade a country and indulge in an economically terrible war. Fuck outta here with your twee sentiments.

by Anonymousreply 85August 10, 2022 1:52 AM

Barbara Bush Calls Evacuees Better Off

Sept. 7, 2005 WASHINGTON, Sept. 6 - As President Bush battled criticism over the response to Hurricane Katrina, his mother declared it a success for evacuees who "were underprivileged anyway," saying on Monday that many of the poor people she had seen while touring a Houston relocation site were faring better than before the storm hit.

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," Barbara Bush said in an interview on Monday with the radio program "Marketplace." "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality."

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."

Mrs. Bush toured the Astrodome complex with her husband, former President George Bush, as part of an administration campaign throughout the Gulf Coast region to counter criticism of the response to the storm. Former President Bush and former President Bill Clinton are helping raise money for the rebuilding effort.

by Anonymousreply 86August 10, 2022 3:28 AM

R85 Class is class. I didn't say they were great Presidents but who has been. "Fuck outta here"? Please.

by Anonymousreply 87August 10, 2022 3:36 AM

"I didn't say they were great Presidents but who has been."

Boy, are you stupid, R87.

FDR, Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, and quite a few others rank as great or near great. In recent times, even Obama and Clinton were miles ahead of both Bushes.

"Class?" Your sense of what's classy is archaic.

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2022 3:46 AM

[quote] "She thought Nancy Reagan was a silly, frivolous cunt and only associated with her when she absolutely had to."

This is the ONLY time I've ever agreed with Barbara Bush on ANYTHING, R19.

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2022 4:09 AM

Is she the whitest First Lady? I mean in terms of attitude and values.

And looking like George Washington.

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2022 8:26 AM

HUGE cunt

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2022 9:10 AM

Sad that Republican trolls are taking over datalounge. Any Fulkerson worth his or her GLBTQ ass knows what a fucking demon Republicans are period. Fuck off motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2022 9:18 AM

I thought her Katrina comments were misunderstood.

New Orleans has always had a homeless and poverty problem. What she was saying was that those people have a fresh start in life, by relocating to Houston, Dallas, etc. If you look at the crime and homeless statistics in Houston before and after Katrina, you can tell Houston has suffered because of the city taking refugees.

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2022 1:12 PM

I felt sorry for Katrina refugees I was living near Pensacola and people were just pouring in going as far as they could until they ran out of gas. There was no gas to be found so they just sat in their cars. These weren't even poor people, just average people with nowhere to go

by Anonymousreply 94August 10, 2022 1:18 PM

OP- GRANDMA Bush grew up in Rye, New York which is not New England.

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2022 1:21 PM

Say what you want haters but the Bush's are a beloved family to many. Maybe not you. Even Michelle Obama was friendly with them. Everything doesn't have to be hate this and hate that. If you don't learn to work together with people who think differently, you will lose. The Bush daughter that hosts morning TV is pretty good proof that the entire family is not hated. Can you imagine Ivanka having the popularity to sit and hang out morning after morning with Hoda? No. Many people remember the Bush Family fondly. Like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 96August 10, 2022 1:22 PM

There are about 100,000 Iraqis whose families wish their were alive to remember the Bushes—-fondly or not so fondly.

by Anonymousreply 97August 10, 2022 1:57 PM

"the Bush's are" Oh, dear, R96.

Showing your true Repug colors, are you? Hunty, you're in the wrong place trying to sell the Bush bitches to anyone here. And as a dynasty, their ovah. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 98August 10, 2022 2:22 PM

"they're ovah"

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 99August 10, 2022 2:26 PM

No DL thread about Babs is complete without the apocraphyl Nixon quote about her:

[quote]Barbara Bush, now she was interesting. She knew how to hate."

Along with:

[quote]"But that Barbara Bush, she’s really something; she’s really vindictive!”—which was the highest complement that Nixon could deliver. - Gore Vidal.

She's be a DL spirit animal if she weren't one of the worst people since H.

by Anonymousreply 100August 10, 2022 2:31 PM

The Pictures Of George and Babs with Uncle Clarence Thom & the Ginni Pig ate worse than Rosalynn with Gacy. Because Rosalynn didn’t know.

BABS DID!

by Anonymousreply 101August 10, 2022 2:31 PM

are*

by Anonymousreply 102August 10, 2022 2:32 PM

^^^ allow me to Oh, dear myself

Apocryphal.

by Anonymousreply 103August 10, 2022 2:32 PM

Bar Bush = L E G E N D

by Anonymousreply 104August 10, 2022 2:33 PM

A legend among cunts.

by Anonymousreply 105August 10, 2022 2:34 PM

I remember her sky-high favorable ratings during her husband's term, even when GHWB's own popularity nosedived beginning in late 1991, and I never understood it. Maybe, as some suggested, it was because she looked "grandmotherly," her official personal appearances were well managed (see this short clip of Bar reading to some kids? She's nice!), and social media wasn't around yet to put everything people SAID under a microscope?

In every interview I ever saw, I found her cold, severe, forbidding. I thought Bush 41 was a mediocre President with "the imagination of a grapefruit" (tm Jack Germond), but I never had a strongly negative opinion of him personally. Her? Nothing but a bad impression.

by Anonymousreply 106August 10, 2022 3:08 PM

George and Barbara Bush were Old Money New England who had no idea how to handle 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, and 2010's.

by Anonymousreply 107August 10, 2022 6:07 PM

A major activist for gay rights?

The fuck are you smoking, OP?

by Anonymousreply 108August 10, 2022 6:11 PM

Barbara’s Brushfire 🔥 Bush consumes All

by Anonymousreply 109August 10, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote]Her husband was a one-term failure and her son lied to get the U.S. to invade a country and indulge in an economically terrible war.

I. e., a two-term failure.

by Anonymousreply 110August 10, 2022 9:58 PM

Evil cunt. The day her daughter died she and her husband went golfing.

by Anonymousreply 111August 10, 2022 10:00 PM

R111 Come on, those tee times are hard to get.

by Anonymousreply 112August 10, 2022 10:03 PM

Barbara's bush was white and plush.

by Anonymousreply 113August 10, 2022 10:37 PM

R93= a gaslighting pos.

by Anonymousreply 114August 10, 2022 11:07 PM

I was in high school during her husband's presidency. I couldn't gel her grandmotherly image with "wife of the head of the CIA". She had to know all sorts of really dirty things.

by Anonymousreply 115August 10, 2022 11:08 PM

Exactly, R108. This is another one of those troll threads in which the OP says something that's actually the opposite of true--like Barbara Bush was a big gay rights supporter--and does so in a fawning way. Something like that is either patently untrue or hugely exaggerated, and they attempt to sell it, anyway, as if any moderately educated person wouldn't know better.

It's like when Hillary Clinton touted Nancy Reagan's non-existent AIDS support at Reagan's funeral when we all knew the it was pure bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 116August 10, 2022 11:16 PM

Her pearls were fake.

by Anonymousreply 117August 11, 2022 12:14 AM

Not sure why? The Bushes are wealthy and can afford real pearls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 11, 2022 12:28 AM

Jackie Kennedy's pearls were also fake and the Kennedys could certainly afford the real ones, natural or cultured.

by Anonymousreply 119August 11, 2022 12:30 AM

R98 I know that grammar misstep smarted.

by Anonymousreply 120August 11, 2022 12:52 AM

Kennedys were stretched thin. Jackie would spend like crazy causing arguments with the President. Her father in law, was an old school player who understood how image was vital for their roles. He would quietly pay the bills Jackie ran up at the best department stores.

by Anonymousreply 121August 11, 2022 12:56 AM

22:45. Nancy and Babs "hated each other".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 11, 2022 12:59 AM

R122 That's common knowledge. The 1980 primaries were vicious, and neither Nancy nor Barbara were the forgiving type. Barbara Bush thought the Reagan people were flashy, sloppy, and propping up a moron for president. And Nancy, whose pathological obsession with all things "Ronnie" consumed her completely, saw any criticism of her husband as a direct and mortal attack. Nancy was a fucking loon when it came to her husband, and Barbara Bush made her shit list essentially for saying "Welcome to Washington, honey. Your husband's a dumbass, and my husband is really pulling the strings."

Bar also looked down on Nancy for being a climber of an actress. Even then, they knew she was the blowjob queen of Burbank, and gave off definite Second Wife vibes. Barbara Bush was educated in the East, was raised to be a lady, and was firm yet close with all of her children. Nancy was a goofy little trollop whose kids never called, and spent more time with a Ouija board than with a book in her lap.

by Anonymousreply 123August 11, 2022 1:22 AM

I was unaware of an acrimonious relationship between Nancy Reagan and Barbara Bush. I did read Barbara dismiss her predecessor, Hillary Clinton as " a bitch".

by Anonymousreply 124August 11, 2022 1:26 AM

Here is footage of Nancy over in Russia behaving badly. In public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 11, 2022 1:59 AM

R124 Successor, you mean.

Most of the recent first ladies are generally civil to one another, or even friends. After all, who else on the planet understands what it means to marry some schmuck, and decades later find yourself a world figure because of HIS career ambitions? It's a screwy position.

But some first ladies who didn't get along:

Mamie Eisenhower and Jacqueline Kennedy - Jackie had given birth to John-John a short time before she was due to tour the White House, and a bitter Mamie led her on a room-by-room slog of the entire mansion. Mamie knew this would exhaust her. Jackie finished the tour without complaint, and promptly collapsed at her hotel. Mamie smirked and said "She never asked for a wheelchair!"

Caroline Harrison and Frances Cleveland - Harrison was the elder figure. Her husband defeated President Cleveland in a bitter election, but Cleveland stuck around as a national figure with his comely young wife, which ate into the Harrisons' social life. Caroline looked down on Frances - who was nearly 30 years younger than Grover Cleveland and had known him since childhood. It was a creepy marriage, scandalous, but also oddly endearing to the public. Frances Cleveland was young, beautiful and demure, while Caroline Harrison was older and boring. Caroline died of TB two weeks before the 1892 election (one of three first ladies to die in office), and she didn't live to see her husband defeated by good old Mr. Cleveland.

Margaret Wilson and Edith Galt Wilson - Margaret was the eldest daughter of Woodrow Wilson, and served as his first lady during the year between the death of the first Mrs. Wilson and his remarriage to the second Mrs. Wilson. Margaret was a grown woman who loved her mother and had a frosty relationship with Edith, who was herself a headstrong old widow with an odd ability to enrapture the famously intellectual President Wilson. All three of Wilson's daughters appreciated the comfort that this new wife brought to their lonely father, but tensions remained. No record exists of Margaret's feelings about Edith Wilson during the final year of her father's presidency - when Wilson was bedridden with severe strokes, and Edith Wilson effectively served as acting president - but she was a sharp cookie who surely had her opinions.

Other first ladies got along great. Betty Ford and Rosalynn Carter both campaigned for the ERA, and Michelle Obama and Laura Bush have a good personal chemistry. Nellie Taft and Edith Roosevelt were like long-lost sisters, and got along great. Both were brassy, outspoken broads who ran their own offices, smoked cigarettes, and made political moves separate from their husbands.

by Anonymousreply 126August 11, 2022 2:02 AM

[quote]Why does everyone hate Barbara on here? She was a supporter of human rights.

"A supporter of human rights?" What does that even mean? Name one thing, just one, that she ever even said about "human rights."

Just one. We'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 127August 11, 2022 2:16 AM

R124 I don't believe that. It is documented at both Bushes were nothing but kind, cordial, and helpful during the transition.

Bush Sr left Clinton a very kind note (see attached).

In A Promised Land, Obama writes, "Whether because of this respect for the institution, lessons from his father, bad memories of his own transition (there were rumors some Clinton staffers had removed the 'W' from the White House computers on their way out the door, or just basic decency, President Bush did all he could to make the eleven weeks between my election and his departure go smoothly..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 11, 2022 2:09 PM

Magats have led the USA off the cliff because of their feelings and beliefs.

Your beliefs are irrelevant.

Only facts matter.

by Anonymousreply 129August 11, 2022 2:11 PM

No defense of Barbara Pierce Bush is convincing here.

She was a cunt's cunt, and never did anything except to control her family, manage family PR, and shit on other people behind her arrogant demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 130November 17, 2022 1:25 PM

This is bold. She hugged and touched AIDS patients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 17, 2022 1:30 PM

Even putting her politics and the gay stuff aside, I'll assume OP is kidding here. Humorous is not what I'd call Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 132November 17, 2022 1:32 PM

Big cunt, literally. She was also a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 133November 17, 2022 1:32 PM

Barbara Bush hugs gay man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 17, 2022 1:32 PM

Campaigning for gay marriage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 17, 2022 1:34 PM

Fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 136November 17, 2022 1:37 PM

"However you define family is what we mean by family values"

by Anonymousreply 137November 17, 2022 1:46 PM

She seemed like a real bitch. It also can't have been easy aging from an attractive young woman to a person who looked much older than her still-attractive husband.

by Anonymousreply 138November 17, 2022 1:56 PM

A cunt for all seasons!

by Anonymousreply 139November 17, 2022 2:15 PM

Her childhood friend and classmate once told me she was dumber than a box of hair.

by Anonymousreply 140November 17, 2022 3:02 PM

Barbara should have tried to be more like me and people would have found her much more likeable.

And you know, she wouldn't even try canned potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 141November 17, 2022 3:04 PM

Babs was Aleister Crowley's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 142November 17, 2022 3:07 PM

Mo Collins as DL fave Barb Bush:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 17, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote]It also can't have been easy aging from an attractive young woman to a person who looked much older than her still-attractive husband.

As Bush family lore goes, every time Dubya snorted a line, Barbara developed one.

by Anonymousreply 144November 17, 2022 3:12 PM

I like Phil Hartman as Barbara Bush better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 17, 2022 9:16 PM

I read somewhere that Barbara and George H.W. were very well-liked by the White House staff.

Perhaps after eight years of the fraudulent, idiots Ron and Nancy they were a relief.

by Anonymousreply 146November 17, 2022 9:58 PM

R146 I read Nancy was not well liked

by Anonymousreply 147November 17, 2022 10:40 PM

R226. Caroline Harrison shouldn’t have been so snooty towards Cleveland’s child bride. After Caroline’s death, her husband married Caroline’s cousin, who was 25 years her husband’s junior. I don’t think she was as hot as Cleveland’s wife though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 21, 2022 9:47 PM

I just really dislike her. She gave birth to repugnant humans. Behind the scenes she was weepy, depressed and suicidal. Her 'wit' was just vindictiveness.

And her disinterest in getting that wrinkly skin tightened to look nicer tells volumes about her arrogance and privilege. If you're going to live that long you have make... adjustments.

by Anonymousreply 149November 21, 2022 9:54 PM

Her wrinkles were her only endearing feature.

by Anonymousreply 150November 21, 2022 9:59 PM

She is known for her cooking skills

by Anonymousreply 151May 31, 2023 1:17 PM

Love me some Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 152May 31, 2023 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!