Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“A League of Their Own” TV Series

The teaser is here and I don’t know how to feel about it. I will probably still prefer the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 13, 2023 1:08 AM

There better be a trans woman of color throwing the first pitch.

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2022 3:49 PM

This is worse than when they tried to make "Working Girl" and Ferris Bueller's Day Off" into sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2022 3:49 PM

We all the retreads? Why not work on writing "Something of Your Own"?

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2022 3:58 PM

^^Why^^

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2022 3:58 PM

R2 they already turned the movie into a multicamera sitcom back in 1993.

Needless to say, it only lasted a handful of episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2022 3:59 PM

R5 I never watched that!!! I wanna see now lol

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2022 6:24 PM

Some of the reviews are mixed on the show.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2022 5:34 PM

Ah, lesbians and coloreds. Just as grandma remembered the AAGPBL.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2022 5:41 PM

More revisionist bullshit to warm the hearts of idiot Gen Z'ers.

The AAGPBL was famously NOT integrated. Colored girls were not allowed to play. They weren't even allowed into the tryouts.

And as to the Sapphic romance angle? Not on your life, dipshits!

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2022 5:44 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2022 5:45 PM

[quote]And as to the Sapphic romance angle? Not on your life, dipshits!

Is it really that improbable that a female baseball player (or two) would be a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2022 5:46 PM

My mom had good memories of going to these games in WWII with her dad because there wasn’t much male baseball.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2022 5:47 PM

In the 1940s and in the overt modern way the show will most undoubtedly depict it? Why, yes, R11. It is improbable.

Just like the trailer shows almost 50% black representation in a show ostensibly about a white women's baseball league, I do not expect a faithful reimagining of actual historical events. Like R9 said, more GenZ bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2022 5:49 PM

From the trailer and other articles, it seems the black baseball player basically get befriends the white baseball players and they hang out.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2022 6:14 PM

There were lesbians in the 1940s and we live in 2022, so why not depict them?

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2022 6:19 PM

What R3 said -- when are these lazy no-imagination Millennials going to write shows of their own instead of stealing all their ideas from the Boomers?

Oh yeah, I know why -- their ideas suck.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2022 6:29 PM

r15 because rather than digging through archives and interviews, and finding out how lesbians of the day dealt with such things... and the cosnequences of. It's imagineered instead with heavy amounts of audiencing testing. The kind of testing that leads to medieval period pieces including dragons.

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2022 9:19 PM

I watched this over the past two days. It was an ok show, but it was too preachy at times. There were too many storylines and not enough background on certain characters like the baseball player whose daughter is being raised by her parents, no real explanation on the why 17 year old Cuban girl who couldn't speak English was playing for the league, and also the storyline involving Nick Offerman's character was done poorly.

The funny parts were Kate Berlant as the weirdo hypochondriac teammate, the Canadian lesbo was hilarious at times, and Dale Dickey was great as the team chaperone.

Overall, I don't see this show returning for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 3:51 AM

I’m trying to enjoy it, but the anachronistic dialog … “are you trying to get in my head?” and improbable situations … the successful hunt for a bucket of live crabs in Rockford Illinois in 1943 (I doubt you could find live crabs in Rockford now, let alone in 1943) … are annoying

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 4:08 AM

R19 I couldn't stand the crabs subplot. For some weird reason, I like the character of Max, but couldn't stand her best friend Clance. The show should have just stuck to Max having her family drama. I think they would wanted Max to have some kind of supporter other than Carson.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 4:33 AM

I got annoyed in the first 4 minutes. They showed a letter from her husband and it had a ZIP code in her address. They didn't exist in the 1940s.

Plus she is way too old as is her friend from "The Good Place." They should be mothers of girls on the team.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 4:54 AM

The American viewing public demands more woke programs like this

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 5:14 AM

Well of course there were “nonbinary” people before 2015!

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 5:20 AM

There may have been non-binary people but there were almost definitely no women named Carson.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2022 3:19 PM

Ummmm, R24?

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2022 3:26 PM

Ummmm, R24?

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2022 3:27 PM

I said *almost*

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2022 3:37 PM

Echoing R21’s point, the hall of fame players from the AAGPBL were aged 18-25 when they played. Darcy Carden is 42; Abbi Jacobson is 38. What, other than vanity, would lead Jacobson and her fellow producers to cast this way?

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2022 3:40 PM

Salon has a review and everything is queer. Queer this, queer that. They are fucking lesbians not “queer”. Sick of this “queer” shit.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2022 3:41 PM

Only one episode in, but the use of a Janis Joplin song in the first one tells me I can’t trust the creator’s instincts. Joplin is so iconic that it’s almost cheesy to even use her stuff in a sixties period piece, but using it in a WW2 piece is just madness.

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2022 3:55 PM

R28 They need bankable stars to get shit like this across the finish line. The name matters more than the performance or the reality of the scenes, sadly.

Same reason Kevin Costner played Robin Hood, Jake Gyllenhaal played a Persian prince, and Ashton Kutcher played Steve Jobs.

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2022 3:56 PM

I was entertained but all the above criticism is valid. Spoiler alert- It doesn't follow the movie very much and it's totally gay. The Madonna character is not slutty, Gena Davis has a husband and she has an affair with The Good Place girl, Rosie IS a lesbian and Tom Hanks doesn't matter. They got rid of the ugly girl, the sister and the little kid from the movie. The AA story line was well done IMO, though obviously simplistic.

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2022 4:16 PM

In other words: "You're gonna looooose!"

by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2022 4:19 PM

How many characters are lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2022 4:21 PM

I loved Abbi Jacobson in "Broad City," but she is totally miscast here and acts poorly. She looks and acts like a 2022 woman. I agree with others that the dialog is a shitshow of anachronism. "I'm super-excited about that!" Women swearing frequently in public, black women swearing loudly on a train, etc., etc. Like with "The Gilded Age," why bother setting a show in another time if you can't be arsed to find out and portray what that time was like?

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2022 4:31 PM

Because, R35, they likely see it as their responsibility to “right” the past. That’s a very common view nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 36August 15, 2022 4:53 PM

I won't watch more than the first episode (I'm R35), but I actually liked the way they handled the black player's storyline. They're including her by excluding her; they show her wanting to try out but being told to get out, then her story begins after she goes home to Rockford, where the all-white Peaches play. I don't know if eventually it'll turn unrealistic and have her join the team, but for now it's smart what they're doing with her and her friends and family.

by Anonymousreply 37August 15, 2022 5:13 PM

[quote]I was entertained but all the above criticism is valid. Spoiler alert- It doesn't follow the movie very much and it's totally gay. The Madonna character is not slutty, Gena Davis has a husband and she has an affair with The Good Place girl, Rosie IS a lesbian and Tom Hanks doesn't matter. They got rid of the ugly girl, the sister and the little kid from the movie. The AA story line was well done IMO, though obviously simplistic.

The Canadian lesbian was pretty much set up as the ugly girl and the TV show payed homage to the movie when Carson and Greta lied for her about the makeup so she wouldn't get kicked out of the league. It was similar to what to the sisters in the movie refusing to go to the tryouts without the ugly girl.

by Anonymousreply 38August 15, 2022 9:52 PM

R37 The black player's storyline is resolved in another way at the end and also the black player was based on a real woman. This article explains that her character was based on several real life women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2022 9:55 PM

I’m 4 episodes in. For me, the show comes to a screeching halt whenever the focus shifts to Max.

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2022 2:29 AM

The anachronistic nature of the show is almost too much to bear at times. It’s like they dropped Abbi’s character from Broad City into 1943, along with several other women. And as much as I love a good self-acceptance story when it comes to sexuality and gender, acting like a black woman would be totally fine wearing men’s clothes and would pass as a man in public and live as trans in 1943 without much fear of violence is wayyyy unrealistic for the time and place. Also non-LGBT folk taking about “queers” generally wouldn’t have happened because most people didn’t think women loving women existed and it would’ve been taboo to discuss even in private.

The show is okay. Not the best script, and very little baseball is involved, but the drama is okay. It’s fine, I guess, but not as compelling to watch as other dramas with strong LGBT storylines in the past decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2022 9:55 AM

Is Abbi Jacobson's character gay?

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2022 1:20 PM

R42 I think she's supposed to be bi.

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2022 1:48 PM

Lotta lesbian drama in this.

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2022 1:07 PM

44 posts. Are no gays watching? Is it a flop?

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2022 1:10 PM

I downloaded it days ago, started watching it last night.

It definitely has a freshness. And honestly, I’m proud of Abbi Jacobs giving all these women jobs. There hasn’t been a cast like this since OITNB.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2022 1:16 PM

Who is the audience for this?

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2022 1:33 PM

R44 How many characters are lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2022 1:35 PM

R46 Except that show was based around a core of a true story, and had fresh relevance due to recent events.

This show is revisionist bullshit that takes real events from 80 years ago, drastically alters them for 2022 audiences, and attempts to pass them off as empowering phony history. It's Millennial trash, and it's an insult to the real players of the AAGPBL whose lives and careers weren't anything like this sappy crap.

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2022 1:45 PM

[quote]Like with "The Gilded Age," why bother setting a show in another time if you can't be arsed to find out and portray what that time was like?

Well, we live in a world now where reality is mere perception and truth is all up to the individual. That said, it's a fucking tv show. Some of you are way overinvested.

The audience is lesbians and other women. I love how so many men on this thread are explaining that that's not how women really were. No, that's not how women were portrayed in the tv shows you are basing your opinions on. The realities of poor and working class women's historical existence and, especially, lesbian historical reality is something you all need to get educated on before stating your opinions as facts. Go tell Susan B. Anthony how quiet, non-obtruive, and demure women were "back in the day". Go tell any of the original feminists...but I'm sure you'll have to go look up their names first.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2022 2:32 PM

R50 Everyone knows the original feminists were Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2022 2:40 PM

I had no idea that Janis Joplin had hit songs during World War II

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2022 8:39 PM

And what is up with the language in the script? There's the millennial "literally" all over the place, the f-bombs are out of control. And what's with the zip code on envelopes?

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2022 8:52 PM

I don't mind cussing on TV shows, but for some reason the f-bombs on this show bugged me. It's weird because I've watched other premium cable and streaming shows that have a lot of cussing.

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2022 9:28 PM

I don’t really buy the attraction between. Carson and Greta.

But I’m really enjoying the Maxine Chapman storyline.

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2022 10:46 PM

D'Arcy Carden has an odd looking nose, but somehow looks quite attractive on this show and doesn't fit well being paired with Abbi Jacobson.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2022 10:50 PM

It’s like none of these gals ever met a dick they liked.

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2022 10:50 PM

[quote] Echoing [R21]’s point, the hall of fame players from the AAGPBL were aged 18-25 when they played. Darcy Carden is 42; Abbi Jacobson is 38. What, other than vanity, would lead Jacobson and her fellow producers to cast this way?

Abbi Jacobson and Carden have been pals for a long time due to UCB. A lot of UCB alums who make it big as showrunners and TV writers tend to cast their UCB pals in roles in shows and movies. If this show gets a second season, I wouldn't be surprised if several female UCB alums pop up on this show.

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2022 10:58 PM

R58 Couldn’t they do a period piece about women their own age? One that hasn’t already been the focus of an iconic film with this same name?

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2022 11:12 PM

Eight episodes and no guest spot for Ilana Glazer?!

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2022 11:42 PM

The movie is one of my favorites. I know I'll be disappointed if I watch the show. I couldn't get through half of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2022 12:00 AM

R52 [quote]I had no idea that Janis Joplin had hit songs during World War II

You're not allowed to complain about anachronisms in period shit. Obviously a song from the 1960s is going to connect an audience from 2022 with the 1940s without any problem whatsoever. If you notice the what-the-fuckness of such things you're just not open to the teachable moment of pointlessly re-writing any history that may have existed thereby making a period piece completely redundant. It's just entertainment after all, who cares about reflecting reality! (that's sarcasm - in case I have to spell it out for the retards).

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2022 12:38 AM

I was iffy in the beginning, but in the end i really enjoyed it. The took the lesbian subtext of the movie and ran with it.

According to one of the original AAGPL, she guessed that 60% of the players were lesbians.

I actually enjoyed the Max storyline the most. I wasn't expecting that!

You are bothered by the anachronistic dialogue, the show is not for you. But if you can move past that, it's rather entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2022 12:59 AM

Who fucking asked for this?

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2022 1:01 AM

There were trans people in the 40s?

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2022 4:36 AM

I'm a big fan of women's sports and am hoping this becomes popular enough to stir some interest in a new women's baseball league. It used to be popular and not there is zero women's baseball being played in the US.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2022 4:41 AM

R59 no, because that would be too big a risk. Studios would rather use an existing ip and either do a reboot or turn it into a TV show. I think the last show about baseball that focused on a female character was Pitch with Kylie Bunbury. And that (shockingly) got cancelled after just one season on Fox.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2022 12:38 PM

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie. What was the lesbian subtext in the movie? (Besides the presence of Rosie O'Donnell.)

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2022 1:09 PM

The anachronistic dialogue does grate but I'm still going to watch because I'm enjoying the writing even with the modern tweaks.

I think the later era song choices during credits are meant not only as a comment on what we just watched but also to symbolize how much things change in the future. It bothers me but I get what they are aiming at.

Really proud of these ladies and the show they are producing, we should support them.

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2022 1:24 PM

The L-Chat are losing their heads over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2022 1:39 PM

R70 they needed a new show since First Kill got cancelled 😄

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2022 2:01 PM

{quote}The L-Chat are losing their heads over it.

In a good way or a bad way?

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2022 2:14 PM

R72 well I’m not allowed to criticize the show in there without people being overly defensive and dismissive about it, so the younger generation loves it in there and apparently if you think it’s mediocre you should shut up and go away.

I finished the whole season and I think it’s okay and had some good elements and occasional touching or funny moments. I really like female ensemble casts but I just want better writing than this show.

In my opinion, they shouldn’t have made this A league of their own remake, but called it something else so that the comparison wouldn’t have been as direct. The movie was just far better written.

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2022 2:56 PM

[quote] they shouldn’t have made this A league of their own remake

I'm fine with them calling it A League of Their Own, but I sort of wish they hadn't made it about the Peaches. I think it would have been a better idea to have centered it on the Racine Belles and essentially made this a story that was happening in parallel with the events of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2022 3:12 PM

R74 How about the Kenosha Comets, the Kalamazoo Lassies, or the South Bend Blue Sox?

by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2022 3:22 PM

They’d never make something like this as a stand-alone. Hollywood is all about IP. They are terrified to create something without a built-in audience.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2022 4:04 PM

[quote]The L-Chat are losing their heads over it.

[quote] In a good way or a bad way?

I'm looking through the thread and it seems like they are happy with the show focusing on lesbian characters. But, of course they complain about Greta pretending to be into men and some point out the show's 1940s setting. There are bunch of posts about how D'Arcy Carden isn't beautiful to them, but others think she's sexy. I don't think Carden is extremely attractive, but she's a beauty queen compared to the actresses who play Lupe and Jess. I suspect over time that thread will turn into a total shit show thread like a lot of threads on the original L and this site.

by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2022 4:05 PM

It ended well. It really picked up around Episode 6. Rosie O’Donnell was great, I didn’t even recognise her. And I loved the trans character, Bernie, he was great.

Overall, I’d say the series was ambitious but clunky. Looks like they’re going for S2 but I doubt Amazon will spend the money.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2022 6:50 PM

I really like Chante Adams who plays Max. If this show doesn't get renewed for a second season, I hope Adams has a good and long career.

by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2022 1:55 AM

Yeah, that would’ve been much smarter, R74. the anachronistic and other creative liberties do annoy me as a big fan of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2022 4:54 PM

I just finished the season. The women behind this series should be damn proud. That was the most honest portrayal of a lesbian relationship I've ever seen. I related to ALL of those women and how fucking brave of them to do this, ESPECIALLY because it was base on a well known COMEDY that became more about Tom Hanks than the women. This series had some flaws, yes. I agree that the Joplin song threw me off but I do agree with r69 that it was a deliberate choice to show how far lesbians and women have come. As someone who played for years on softball teams the team dynamics were spot on and it shows how women help each other. Even the mother at the end helping Clance. It was just a beautiful thing to see in a world of movies/shows that have ignored lesbians and our history for so long. I'm fucking proud of all of the production folks. I think it was outstanding. It was nice to see myself on screen as we are for once. The L Word was such utter crap.

by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2022 7:29 AM

And yes, back then women really did go around dressing and pretending to be men. Hell some even fought in the Civil War.

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2022 7:29 AM

Everyone mentioning lesbians, is this a lesbian show like The LWord? I mean, how many of the main characters are lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2022 3:07 PM

Eventually R83, we are ALL lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2022 5:31 PM

Anachronisms aside, I just wish they could have given us a light, fun, apolitical, more accurate reboot. I hate that everything has to be a statement.

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2022 5:45 PM

All of life was political at that time for women and minorities, they had little/no power. The only group that was doing just fine was white guys which is why the deplorables want to turn our laws back to that era.

There are decades of programs that cater to the fantasy land you want to steep in r85 just watch one of those.

by Anonymousreply 86August 20, 2022 7:44 PM

Nope. That’s a very modern read, R86, the same mindset that bogs down the show. Things were unequal and backwards in a lot of ways with a long way to go, but things were far less political than they are now. A smarter version of the show would accurately capture this rather than drop modern mindsets into the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 87August 20, 2022 8:00 PM

[quote]things were far less political than they are now

That's not true, the part of the reboot you say you have a problem with is that they are showing exactly how political things were for everyone but white men back then. You just want to watch shows that leave the reality of that history out.

by Anonymousreply 88August 20, 2022 8:05 PM

[quote]I loved the trans character, Bernie, he was great.

Then you should know her name was Bertie.

by Anonymousreply 89August 20, 2022 8:12 PM

I was confused about their name but not their identity. Great character.

by Anonymousreply 90August 20, 2022 8:41 PM

[quote]I think the last show about baseball that focused on a female character was Pitch with Kylie Bunbury

That was a great series. Shame it didn't catch on.

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2022 9:00 PM

Yes, r83 the show is mainly about the lesbians who played on the league. There are some straight characters but they are not the focus of the show. I'm reading some reviews that mention the one Jewish character (who is straight) is portrayed in a bad light. I didn't see that at all. She was neurotic and weird, but I liked her. The show was really about these women finding their way and discovering who they really were in a time that only valued women if they had a man in their life.

I didn't even think the politics of today had much of an impact on it. It just felt like a very honest portrayal of what it was like for ALL women in that time but especially focused on the lesbian/bisexual ones. It was just wonderful to see because the film didn't address it at all other than Rosie's one line, "I always felt like a weird girl." The movie was fun but it was a comedy. This is a dramatic retelling of what it felt like to be gay in the 40's. And as a lesbian who came out in the 90's a lot of that shit was still going on...closets were around a lot longer than kids of today realize.

by Anonymousreply 92August 20, 2022 9:07 PM

R87, do you even realize the titanic social shifts that started to take hold during the WWII era? It was literally the birth of both the modern women's movement and the civil rights movement due to how both groups were treated after the end of the war. What lily-white, make-believe Mayberry did your lily-white self live in that you don't recognize this?

by Anonymousreply 93August 21, 2022 1:02 AM

[quote] I'm reading some reviews that mention the one Jewish character (who is straight) is portrayed in a bad light. I didn't see that at all. She was neurotic and weird, but I liked her.

I also liked Shirley. Other than threatening to out Carson, she wasn't a horrible person. She didn't understand homosexuality and had believed various dumb theories.

by Anonymousreply 94August 21, 2022 2:42 AM

[quote]I think the last show about baseball that focused on a female character was Pitch with Kylie Bunbury

[quote]That was a great series. Shame it didn't catch on

I also really liked Pitch. It's available on Hulu and Tubi. I'm thinking of doing a rewatch.

by Anonymousreply 95August 21, 2022 2:46 AM

Pitch was good so naturally Fox cancelled it.

by Anonymousreply 96August 21, 2022 4:24 AM

Why do lesbians get all their sports related shows like this and Yellowjackets. Gays get nothing as usual.

by Anonymousreply 97August 21, 2022 4:37 AM

Because, r97 no one wants to watch catty gay men competing in ice skating competitions.

Although now that I've typed that, I might watch that show.

by Anonymousreply 98August 21, 2022 5:06 AM

[Quote] Because, [R97] no one wants to watch catty gay men competing in ice skating competitions.

There should be a TV remake for Blades Of Glory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 21, 2022 5:34 AM

R97, can you just stop. There are more gay men on television than there are lesbians. I've been posting the GLAAD statistics to counter whiny babies like you for years at this point. I'm not doing it anymore. Go look them up and enlighten yourself so you don't sound so ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 100August 21, 2022 6:40 AM

Fuck off dyke.

by Anonymousreply 101August 21, 2022 6:51 AM

As expected from the likes of you, R101.

by Anonymousreply 102August 21, 2022 6:52 AM

You must have not seen the SPORTS part of the comment, dyke!

by Anonymousreply 103August 21, 2022 6:55 AM

Let's see if I can act like the equivalent of a whiny gay guy, R103...

Waaaah, why are there so many shows with gay male hair dressers, interior designers, dancers, stylists, and on and on and none with any lesbians?? It's so unfair!!1!!!1

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 104August 21, 2022 7:05 AM

R97 Because half if the women in sports are gay? That's like asking why do shows that future fashion designers or hairdressers have so many gays compared to no lesbians. Also, Yellowjackets only has two lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 105August 21, 2022 9:59 AM

Thank you, R101. You are now BLOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 106August 21, 2022 10:57 AM

Watched the first 4 episodes last light. I love it. The characters are well written and funny. Wish they’d do a spin off of the black gals in the salon.

Some stuff doesn’t ring true—no way could you get fresh seafood in the Midwest in the 40s—but who cares. It’s very well crafted and I care about the characters.

by Anonymousreply 107August 21, 2022 11:42 AM

It’s fine if they wanted to make the show political or an accurate depiction of lesbian life in the 1940s. But if the point is to make something completely tonally and thematically different from the movie then why even call it A League of Their Own? It would be like making a movie about the real life of quantum physicists in the 1950s and deciding to call it Back to the Future.

by Anonymousreply 108August 21, 2022 2:53 PM

R108 I said earlier that this shouldn’t have been related to A League of Their Own because of in no way resembles the film and the focus of the show isn’t baseball.

R92 I understand some of your points, but the people who secretly fought in the Civil War and Revolutionary War (Robert Shurtleff comes to mind) were living in fear of being found out as women or biological women if trans. It wasn’t some rosy time where Black folks born as women could freely run around dressed as men and not fear for their safety. The show gets that wrong by making it seem like Bert wouldn’t have faced violence and worse if found out, and someone would’ve found out and told on him eventually, if we’re being realistic. They still lynched Black folks at the time for almost anything and burned them out of town, although moreso in the south. Hell, in MO in the 1980s a Black family was basically told to leave and had burning crosses on their lawn by the horrible racist rural people in a town I lived in for a year growing up.

The show isn’t terrible, but the anachronisms and unreality of certain aspects of the show were too much. People did not talk about “queers” at the time openly, especially not straight people who didn’t even believe women could be gay.

The show is okay, and got a little better over the course of the season, and I like female casts. I just found myself disappointed that it wasn’t written more accurately.

by Anonymousreply 109August 21, 2022 7:34 PM

r109, if the show gets renewed, all of that might come into play where Bert is found out. But since this wasn't really about her, they put in her warning Max to be careful but to enjoy it all. Bert was a minor character and it's weird you are focusing on her. The show was all about being true to yourself no matter what. It was historically accurate in showing that Bert and her wife were doing something subversive for the period and there are plenty of historical accounts of women who did exactly what they were doing. Not sure why you see upset that they didn't show her getting "found out" or having her lynched for it. It was nice to see a historical lesbian story that didn't end in tragedy for once.

by Anonymousreply 110August 21, 2022 9:07 PM

And r109 the word Queer has been around for a very long time. Not anachronistic at all. Maybe back then people didn't believe women could be lesbians but the word queer would have been used to describe then moreso than lesbian,.

by Anonymousreply 111August 21, 2022 9:09 PM

The best speech was about how The Wizard of Oz is about white colonization.

by Anonymousreply 112August 21, 2022 9:16 PM

That speech was funny as fuck, r112.

It's funny to see that, once again the gay males on this board are having a cow about a show that FINALLY depicts lesbian women and ALL women on the show in a positive light. It was predictable that this would happen as the gays are also really happy about UnCoupled not doing well. Gays are their own worst enemy sometimes. I never watched Queer As Folk but I was happy that there was a show about gay men for gay men. Ya'all bashing this show are showing your lack of knowledge about your lesbian sisters and their history. Also, if you think you could do a better show, then by all means create one.

by Anonymousreply 113August 21, 2022 9:33 PM

R113 No dear, it is a modern speech, with modern use of language, and modern views,set in a period piece. It is rewriting reality.

by Anonymousreply 114August 21, 2022 9:37 PM

R109, go look up what Boston marriages were. Women lived together in actual relationships all the time throughout history. Because it was thought women weren't sexual, even into the 1940s and beyond, no one cared too much because they just figured they were loser spinsters who couldn't get a man.

Also, the history you're going by is the history of the people considered important enough to write history about which was basically the whie male upper class. The things you are describing as never happening you think never happened because some well off white man never saw them happen or didn't think they were important enough to record for posterity. There were entire societies among women, the poor, the blacks, the immigrants that no one paid any attention to. Go find the histories written by those groups that have started finally showing up in the last few decades. You will be enlightened by what you find there.

And, the reason they called it A League of Their Own is because that's how you get people to watch the first episode. I'm not sure what the problem is with it anyway. Why does it have to match the movie? It's expanding on the storyline and takes place in the movie's universe. Do you have the same problem with all of these shows using the name of the movie they were based on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 21, 2022 9:40 PM

R113 I'm R109 and I am a lesbian who happens to not just love everything because it's featuring gay women. I am happy when things don't end badly, but the show's MANY anachronisms in the script are just bad writing. That's a fair criticism. As I said, I thought the show was okay, and got a little better over the season.

by Anonymousreply 116August 21, 2022 9:43 PM

r116, then you need to take some lesbian history classes. The Wizard of Oz was written by Baum as a political commentary. Even the people of 1943 could see that. Or do you think they were all dumb and thought it was just a fantasy film?

by Anonymousreply 117August 21, 2022 9:58 PM

Wonder if R116 thinks that Star Trek episode with the people with half black and half white faces who were fighting with the people who had the black and white side reversed was just a silly scifi show with a lazy makeup artist?

by Anonymousreply 118August 21, 2022 10:01 PM

Well, r118 there are many people who aren't educated in lesbian history and likely are the ones bashing the show for anachronisms that aren't really anachronisms. It's fascinating to watch them reveal themselves. They also likely don't even know where the term "Lesbian" is derived from and have never heard of Sappho.

It's sad really. I suspect r116 is in her late 30s.

by Anonymousreply 119August 21, 2022 10:10 PM

R118 Oh League of Their Own is science fiction/fantasy, like Star trek? That actually makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 120August 21, 2022 10:11 PM

R120 also doesn't know what an analogy is and seems to lack even the smallest ability to read with any comprehension at all. Poor uneducated thing.

by Anonymousreply 121August 21, 2022 10:16 PM

R121 Bwahahahahahah goo goo gaa gaa.

by Anonymousreply 122August 21, 2022 10:17 PM

R122 is also an infant, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 123August 21, 2022 10:17 PM

R120 the show is a fictionalized account of what it was like for some of these women who played for the league. So yes, in that way it is similar to shows like China Beach or Tour Of Duty or frankly, any shows based on periods of history. It's not claiming to be a documentary. It's a fictional show depicting what life was like for these women who played and how those who were lesbians on the team likely dealt with being lesbians in that time period. China Beach was a real place during the Vietnam war. Colleen McMurphy and all the other characters depicted on the show were fictional but based on stories told by the nurses who served. Not sure why you think A League of Their Own should be any different.

by Anonymousreply 124August 21, 2022 10:17 PM

R117 I never said anything about the Wizard of Oz...so....not sure what that is about.

R119 Listen to the dialogue of the characters. They say many things that are transplanted from current times right back to 1943 that are completely inappropriate. That was what immediately took me out of the show from the first episode. The sayings, slang, and retorts used are very much from modern times. If you think that's debatable, you've never seen a film made in the 1940s or read a book from that era. Nancy Drew books were a decade old or so by then, but that would be more in line with the dialogue of the show.

by Anonymousreply 125August 21, 2022 10:23 PM

R124, the show Bomb Girls would be another good example and even had a lesbian who was pretty well accepted by her working class friends. (Factoid related to both shows...Abbi Jacobson is engaged to Jodi Balfour who was on Bomb Girls.)

R125, where are you getting your historical linguistic ideas? Do you really think everyone spoke in the "gee golly shucks" of Mayberry in the real world? You should really see some of the shit-talking Shakespeare invented.

by Anonymousreply 126August 21, 2022 10:30 PM

r125, my grandmother was born in 1918 and thus was 25 in 1943. I have pictures of her drinking with men, smoking cigarettes, hunting deer with a bow and arrow and partying it up. All of those things that we think women of that time period did not do. She was not a demure woman in any way and I often suspected she was gay. She did marry my grandfather, of course but he died after 10 years of marriage and she never remarried. She had a foul mouth and a wicked sense of humor. She died in 1994 and was a hard smoking, liquor drinking woman until lung cancer got her.

Not everyone in those years were the prim and proper types depicted in fiction.

by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2022 10:34 PM

[quote]Some stuff doesn’t ring true—no way could you get fresh seafood in the Midwest in the 40s.

You could in Cheryl's grandmother's neighborhood. Lots of crabs.

by Anonymousreply 128August 21, 2022 10:52 PM

I bet you're the life of the party, R125.

by Anonymousreply 129August 21, 2022 10:56 PM

Also, any film or book made in the 40s had to adhere to strict standards and practices, called The Hays Code. There's no swearing in them because the film or book would never have been released. That doesn't mean that no one swore in the 40s.

Can't believe I have to explain that.

by Anonymousreply 130August 21, 2022 11:10 PM

The Hays Code only applied to motion pictures.

Can't believe I have to explain that.

by Anonymousreply 131August 21, 2022 11:40 PM

[quote] then you need to take some lesbian history classes. The Wizard of Oz was written by Baum as a political commentary.

"𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑠ℎ𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑐𝑟𝑢𝑐𝑖𝑓𝑦 𝑚𝑎𝑛𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑢𝑝𝑜𝑛 𝑎 𝑐𝑟𝑜𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑔𝑜𝑙𝑑", nor upon a road of yellow bricks

by Anonymousreply 132August 22, 2022 12:08 AM

R127 Sure, and none of that changes the fact that they wrote a modern dialogue script for a 1940s show.

by Anonymousreply 133August 22, 2022 12:21 AM

Thanks r115 this asshole at r109 refuses to understand that there is a lot more to what went on in the past than he wants to acknowledge. He has made his point in several posts and keeps forcing it post after post. He's white male-splaining.

by Anonymousreply 134August 22, 2022 12:23 AM

I think r116 is lying.

by Anonymousreply 135August 22, 2022 12:24 AM

R134 I identified myself as a lesbian. Wow, someone isn’t reading my actual posts.

My claim isn’t controversial in the least—anachronism is a thing on this show. Geez. Lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 136August 22, 2022 12:30 AM

Madonna was so pretty and charmin in the original movie, black hair and that retro 30/40s style suits her the best.

by Anonymousreply 137August 23, 2022 1:18 PM

Thank you for that honest assessment, Amazon Employee R81.

This show is not about honoring the women of the AAGBPL. It's about forcing modern sensibilities and characters to bastardize the true legacy of modern social and sports pioneers. Tom Hanks? I much preferred Sue Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 138August 23, 2022 2:15 PM

[quote]It's funny to see that, once again the gay males on this board are having a cow about a show that FINALLY depicts lesbian women and ALL women on the show in a positive light.

What the fuck are you on about R113? There's a *reason* the original A League of Their Own is a classic and a gay treasure at that. That film showcased true 1940s women in a very positive light, was honest about their challenges of the day, and wasn't ham-fisting modern sensibilities into it.

Gay men can appreciate these things but also have a low tolerance for BULLSHIT, which this show is because it is not curating an accurate depiction of a moment in time. People want authenticity and not emotional caterwauling from the purple haired neopronouns sect.

by Anonymousreply 139August 23, 2022 2:22 PM

[quote]There's a *reason* the original A League of Their Own is a classic and a gay treasure at that. That film showcased true 1940s women in a very positive light, was honest about their challenges of the day, and wasn't ham-fisting modern sensibilities into it.

And it only had white women. Don't forget that R139. Except for that one Negro gal who tossed Dottie the ball. One thing us gays hate the most is too many Negroes.

(eye roll)

by Anonymousreply 140August 23, 2022 5:16 PM

As if A League of Their Own is some gay male classic.

I love the historically illiterate denizens of this thread are judging it based on what they think history was when that history was written by rich, straight, white men and ignored or bastardized every other group. Sorry, men, but you do not know what groups of women are like now and you certainly have no idea what groups of women were like back then.

by Anonymousreply 141August 23, 2022 6:31 PM

R140 does every show or movie now have to inject narratives from people of other races in order to not appear racist? It was a terrible time for Black folks and other folks of color, but now we aren’t allowed to appreciate movies that didn’t feature folks of color in the narrative that was generally historically accurate?

I’m pro diversity and believe we’ve taken good steps in making more present-day shows more diverse, but to go back and judge past films like ALOTO for not featuring folks of color more that didn’t fit with the historical arc at the time….It makes no sense. We’re allowed to appreciate the original film without being considered racist.

People have gone too far in extreme directions.

by Anonymousreply 142August 23, 2022 6:59 PM

It only had white women because the AAGPBL was *about* white women, R140. That's what you blue-haired queers fail to grasp. Now when I turn on Prime, the splash screen shows me a black woman for "A League of Their Own."

It's just made up bullshit. It's not a black story, it's not a lesbian story, it's a white womens' story.

by Anonymousreply 143August 23, 2022 7:00 PM

R143, anyone who doesn't realize that a huge portion of those white women were lesbians is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 144August 23, 2022 7:03 PM

They were? Receipts. Primary sources, please. Or are we just going on gender stereotypes?

by Anonymousreply 145August 23, 2022 7:07 PM

Maybell Blair herself said 60% of the women were lesbians.

The show has rave reviews on Amazon. So ya'all are just angry gay men and one lesbian upset about a show for and about lesbians that is doing well.

Go watch the L Word and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 146August 23, 2022 7:45 PM

For r145.

And lets just ignore the fact that the ending of the film had the women all talking about their husbands...as if.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 23, 2022 7:47 PM

Maybelle Blair played only one game in the AAGPBL.

by Anonymousreply 148August 23, 2022 8:06 PM

She was still on the team, you dolt. Even if she just sat in the dugout.

by Anonymousreply 149August 23, 2022 8:12 PM

DA "Out of 650, I bet you 400 was gay" So she just assumes and gives a random number. Like she knew 600 women and what their sexualities were

by Anonymousreply 150August 23, 2022 8:14 PM

That's a nice article, R147. Thanks for sharing.

For what it's worth, I don't deny there were lesbians in the AAGPBL. I simply and sincerely am against a revisionist history to "correct" the record.

by Anonymousreply 151August 23, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]I simply and sincerely am against a revisionist history to "correct" the record.

So, you were alive in the 1940s to see what the actual history they're revising?

We have our OLDEST ELDER GAY.

by Anonymousreply 152August 23, 2022 8:34 PM

Is it me or are people unjustly lionizing the original film?

I enjoyed it but it felt kind of minor to middling to me.

by Anonymousreply 153August 24, 2022 11:13 AM

Amazon renewed the show for a second season which will consists of 4 episodes. The second season will also be the show's final season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 15, 2023 1:34 AM

Oh no I guess the black lesbian fiction wasn’t as popular as the they/thems wanted us to believe

by Anonymousreply 155March 15, 2023 5:48 AM

It will probably get an ending with closure.

by Anonymousreply 156April 12, 2023 10:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 12, 2023 11:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 12, 2023 11:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 12, 2023 11:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 12, 2023 11:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161April 13, 2023 12:06 AM

critics: "Where's the baseball?"

fangurls: "You're deplorable haters. You're all haters. All of you"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 13, 2023 1:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!