Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Match Point

What did you think of this film? I thought it was quite gripping with perfect casting. Rhys Meyers as the callow social climbing sociopath, Scarlett Johansson as the struggling sexpot actress, Emily Mortimer as the wealthy frau housewife. All just right for their parts. I note this because miscasting is such a problem with many films of the last 2 decades.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2022 4:55 PM

I like this film and think it still holds up. I forgot that ScarJo became Woody's muse for a time though 🤢

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2022 5:57 AM

Woody Allen is one of the great American writer/directors. Fuck the idiot haters. And Mia and her vengeful ways. And the tard daughter Dylan aka Mia’s pawn.

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2022 6:08 AM

I always confuse this film with "Matchstick Men" because of the title, & "LĂ©on: The Professional", because of the plot. Full disclosure: I haven't seen any of them, but will take this as your recommendation, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2022 6:08 AM

Chris? CHRIS?! CHRIS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2022 6:30 AM

Scarjo stumbling through this like everything else she does

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2022 6:49 AM

I like this film. It doesn't feel like a typical Woody film, not just because he's not in it, but it has a much more linear story than his other films. And yet it does play on typical Allen themes (and reminds me a bit of Crimes and Misdemeanors, one of his best films).

JRM was so sexy in this. I have to admit ScarJo was good in this and I"m not a big fan.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2022 7:08 AM

Love this one. It always amazes me how much I want him to get away with it, how much I root for this awful person.

I hate the way Chloe pronounces “mobile”. And I’m pretty sure that nobody from Wyoming ever went to London to become an actress.

R2, I agree. Love lots of his work.

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2022 7:14 AM

I only went to see it because JRM was in it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2022 1:54 PM

"Woody Allen is one of the great American writer/directors. Fuck the idiot haters. And Mia and her vengeful ways. And the tard daughter Dylan aka Mia’s pawn."

Hi, Soon-Yi!

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2022 1:57 PM

Woody has a well established decades long career as a nonce. That doesn't mean he's a bad filmmaker, just a bad person.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2022 1:58 PM

R8 who didn't?

I used to watch "The Tudors" solely because of him.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2022 2:15 PM

Love it, one of my favorites and I think one of Woody's very best. Great cast. Scarlett is so sexy. On another Woody thread, I got flamed for saying it's A Place in the Sun with a "happy" ending, but it's true.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2022 2:21 PM

I was surprised by how much I liked it, probably my favorite Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2022 2:23 PM

Yes, the idea of Scarlett trying to make it as an actress in London is kind of ludicrous but whatever. Someone said Kate Winslett was originally cast in the role but backed out or something. That would have made more sense, but I did like wanton Scarlett. I'm not sure Kate would have been intoxicating enough for JRM to risk everything for.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2022 2:26 PM

At the time, as a fan of Woody Allen, it irritated me. It seemed a complete rehash of others themes, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Crime and Punishment, all set in idyllic, artificial England. It seemed void pf Allen s touch and, unsurprisingly, it is the movie that everybody that doesn’t much care for his films prefer. It is generic but i, i grant, competent, in its cold way.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2022 2:35 PM

JRM is riveting and Scarlet J was hot.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2022 3:46 PM

Great film. I think I saw it twice. Not deep but extremely well done. I might see if I can watch it again now!

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2022 3:52 PM

My favorite Woody Allen film. Jonathan RM was perfect in this. Maybe because his life was acting like a rich, spoiled aristo even though he wasn’t. And doing dirty things to make it. Great story.

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2022 4:03 PM

I saw it, and really hated Scarjo's character in it. I will have to rewatch to see how I feel now I really like the actress.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2022 4:28 PM

Love this movie. Haven’t see. It in awhile.

As others have said, ScarJo and JRM were sexy as fuck

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2022 4:46 PM

I can’t believe no one has mentioned DL fave Matthew Goode. They gave him the worst, most cringey lines!

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2022 4:51 PM

Love this movie. One of his best.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2022 4:53 PM

Nola was a lady of the sauce!

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2022 4:53 PM

r12, it's basically a mash-up of An American Tragedy and Crime and Punishment. Still, a fantastic movie. The scene where they walk into the apartment with that wall-length window overlooking London -- the audience gasped.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2022 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!