Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Times pride-themed article by gay pilot on the importance of travel in his life

"A Gay Pilot Reflects on What Travel Means to Queer Folks: As Pride is celebrated around the world, a traveler recalls the cities that helped shape his identity and dreams."

It's an excerpt from a recent book, "Imagine a City: A Pilot’s Journey Across the Urban World” by Mark Vanhoenacker. He wrote a couple other books related to travel and his day job. I'm curious if anyone has read this latest book? I'm on the fence about ordering: the writing is seems good enough, the ideas likewise, but the article is maybe not the best marker.

Article linked in response below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2022 5:02 PM

Article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 12:49 PM

I cannot take it anymore. I loathe the word "Folks" so fucking much. I don't know why it has become so overused over the last few years, but it makes me feel incredibly homicidal.

I don't just want to kill the people who use it, I want them to SUFFER as they die. I want to tie them down and slit their throats with a cocktail pick. Just poking hole after hole until their throat is slit.

I want to cut off their fingers and toes, one knuckle at a time.

I want to sew their mouth shut so that they starve to death.

At least it wasn't "folx."

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 12:58 PM

r2 I think it's time for your nap!

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 1:13 PM

The folks thing was a little off putting, but it didn't drive me to the end of my wits, R2.

I take it you don't travel much? Or at least to places where you understand the language?

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 1:58 PM

"Folks"

People?

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 8:42 PM

Folks is a term used to describe the people of a community or culture—as in “folklore.” I understand the unsavory connection to “Volks,” as the Nazis drew in folklore to spark their racist nationalism, but it otherwise seems pretty harmless and has the advantage of being inclusive. Does it enrage you in Du Bois’ “The Souls of Black Folk? I do think “folx” is stupid in the way that “Latinx” is—I don’t know anyone from a Spanish-speaking culture or country who uses it—and it’s already being replaced by “Latine,” which at least end in a typically non-gendered vowel and is therefore at least analogous to Latino and Latina.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 9:44 PM

Imagine if the New York Times published an article describing black people as "N-word Folks".

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 9:49 PM

I think people evolved into folks in 2017. We need a Darwin to explain why this happened.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 10:12 PM

Thanks for that lovely article, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 10:21 PM

Some of you folks just need to get laid.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 10:21 PM

[quote]A Gay Pilot Reflects on What Travel Means to Queer Folks:

I’m not queer, I’m gay. Queer implies something is off, wrong, or not proper.

I am none of those things.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 10:24 PM

Is used to a have a gorgeous gay pilot fuck buddy.

Just my 2 cents

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 10:41 PM

There is nothing inherently wrong with the word folks, but it has been so overused by performative twitter activists that I just can't stand it anymore.

In the late 90s I experienced the same thing with the words proactive and synergy. They are both perfectly cromulent words, but businesses latched onto them as buzzwords, and brought them into every conversation, whether they were appropriate or not.

In the end, hearing either word made me want to lock the user into a lucite box full of angry wolverines.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2022 2:27 AM

Rich Folks Smoke Dokes

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2022 2:37 PM

The comments section on this article in The NY Times reads like DL. Honestly, the most ingesting thing in the NYTimes lately is the comments section. Like a left wing - better educated - version of Breitbart.

But a lovely story that had me reminiscing about my first travels as a gayby and how it opened my eyes to the world and it’s possibilities - which none of my straight siblings bothered to do.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2022 4:02 PM

[quote] opened my eyes to the world and it’s possibilities

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2022 4:49 PM

Author isn't hot so my interest is limited.

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2022 5:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!