Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy gay movies suck

When are gay film makers going to deliver a movie that's as bitter and sour as DL, yet entertaining?

The new Bros movie has a dusting of snark over what is really a Hallmark film. Its climax of Pride faux mass happiness looks deeply naff.

Emotional affirmation movies are for adolescents. Even John Waters ended up wanting to pin on smiles. The last truly bitchy and entertaining movie I remember, written and directed by a gay man, was The Opposite of Sex, back in 1998. (All hail to thee Don Roos, you fucking genius.) But that's a looong time between drinks of water.

Someone should film the novel California Screaming by the late Doug Guinan. Whip smart funny, with a lovely sour tone to it. What's really cunty and worth seeing?

by Anonymousreply 72July 12, 2022 7:39 PM

Shut up OP. Just because you’re twisted, negative, and dark doesn’t mean everyone else is. Get professional counseling

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 8:06 AM

If anything, there's too much gay cinema that is dark and cynical. I really don't mind a silly romantic comedy about a gay couple that doesn't end in murder/suicide or madness or loneliness.

You don't seem to have a breadth of experience with homosexual cinema.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 8:10 AM

Fuck off, OP. Gay men had our bitter and sour movies in the 80s and 90s (AIDS). Before that, gay men were always villains or cretins who preyed upon nice white people.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 8:27 AM

The most positive gay movie so far in the 2000s is Big Eden. Watch it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 8:31 AM

Sorry! This link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 8:32 AM

I want to see a sequel to Fire Island with non Asians.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 8:57 AM

Rent all the gay movies made in the 1980's OP. Spoiler alert, they all die of AIDS. You will love it. Bonus if you rent Boys in the Band, very self hating Homo theme Circa 1960. You will be depressed in no time.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 9:29 AM

Op

“I live alone because I like it”!

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 9:37 AM

Adam and steve was kind of watchable ..the ending was sweet.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 9:50 AM

No one has yet seriously named an entertaining gay movie like The Opposite of Sex that is goes down like quinine.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 10:23 AM

I have a suggestion for you OP / r10.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 10:29 AM

OP, it's a lost cause. You can see most of the replies are going to be about GREAT POSITIVE GAY MOVIES!!!! 🤩😍🌈🥰

People can't process what they read. They love the pollyanna pablum you hate.

Abandon hope here, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 10:36 AM

Op, gay movies suck. I can't think of a decent US gay movie in the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 10:48 AM

Check out Swan Song or I Love You Phillip Morris. Those are exuberant and very gay movies

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 1:13 PM

Unfortunately, increasing acceptance also means getting our own versions of everything that sucks.

Count your blessings, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 1:35 PM

Yes OP I like sad films too, sad endings that are bitter sour, with plenty of blood and fashionable mourning attire. We are talking movies.

We look better tragic and we feel better tragic, so we can go back to our dreary lives and feel better about the world.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 5:29 PM

Moonlight was a superb “gay” movie

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2022 2:39 AM

R14 = another poster who can't even fathom what OP has requested.

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2022 2:44 AM

Fassbinder’ s Fox and His Friends is a good one, OP.

The opposite of exuberant, that’s fo sho.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2022 2:50 AM

R4 You clearly have good taste in music, so I'll take that suggestion at R5 (I've always managed to avoid "Big Eden" for some reason).

I suggest "Urbania". Though OP might find the ending too sappy & even predictable. There is a gay bashing, and a man dying of AIDS. But despite this, the film is entertaining. It's dark, and the main character (played by the delicious Dan Futterman) is a strong gay man, bold (eventually), hot as fuck, quite angry, lonely (morose, even), and often wanders the city streets at night as a result. The inclusion of urban legends as plot points is also fun, if not entirely original.

Futterman isn't the only hot guy in this, either. So despite the film's resolve (which totally works, even if it isn't a "happy ending"), OP and others may enjoy it if they haven't yet seen it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2022 3:26 AM

R18, I think r14 was making the suggestions to point out that happy gay movies don’t all suck. I wouldn’t qualify I Love You Philip Morris as exactly happy, though it’s certainly exuberant - and one of my favorite gay movies.

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2022 3:48 AM

[quote]Someone should film the novel California Screaming by the late Doug Guinan.

Doug was one of my closest friends for thirty years. At the time of his death he was mapping out a new novel, and he would be delighted you remembered his work. I miss him a great deal, he was talented and good at everything he tried, he was a very hard worker, and obviously a very funny guy.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2022 4:05 AM

The French (and even French Canadians) did better with bittersweet gay stories... but alas, there are many that don't understand french and get headaches from subtitles.

their peak decade was the 90s for these type of sour and dour to bittersweet films, but there has been an oddl ygood sleeper before and after.

You'll know we've progressed as a society when we have lgbt slasher films that aren't camp. Or just a well written lgbt villain without excuse, humour or politics. But the same with any genre really... where the defining trait of the character isn't gay or about being gay. Just is and is gay in more than identification alone. . . where sex isn't taboo nor do they try to portray a sanitized lazy and awkward fuck they call romantic than aggressively raw sexuality and intercourse in whatever form it may take, or even just that of masturbation., . . g-d, the portrayals of masturbation is even worse.

in anime, you're generally looking for bishounen tags rather than yaoi... there's more than a few dubs out there, the action variety tends to end our a sour note more than the slice of life; rivalry turned lust, then couple against the world until one of them dies or they find outside of circumstances that forced them together, their relationship is unable to thrive and surviving on the fringes just isn't enough... or normal society is against them even more than the yakuza they pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2022 5:45 AM

mediocre;

Twist 1/10 (german subtitle)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2022 6:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2022 6:17 AM

[quote]Emotional affirmation movies are for adolescents.

To prize cleverness over heart, and to value edge, grit, gore, and tragedy for their own sakes, is the height of adolescence.

Worthless OP.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2022 6:25 AM

Don't be such a misery guts, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2022 7:18 AM

Gregg Araki: just no. The most over-rated boring filmmaker that ever was.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2022 9:13 AM

There has already been an uncampy LGBT slasher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2022 9:56 AM

Sad gay movies suck, too.

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2022 10:20 AM

I find the best gay movies are not American and not comedies. Some may have comedy in them but full on comedies are usually lame.

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2022 10:33 AM

Here's one more. "Not Love, Just Frenzy" was a Spanish production, and isn't JUST "a gay movie", but is an ensemble comedy/drama/adventure/thriller film that includes an array of different characters, gays included.

Some of those gays are hot, and have sex fully nude in a shower (though there's no full-frontal as I recall). And some of those gays are part of a HILARIOUS trio of drag queens who save the life of one of the main characters while still managing to get laughs the entire time.

Here's the description: "A gigolo (Nancho Novo), a nymphomaniac (Cayetana Guillén Cuervo), drag queens and assorted unsavory characters indulge in drugs and sex at Madrid nightclubs."

Its online ratings aren't the greatest, but I love the film because it IS so dark, and simultaneously sexy, and over-the-top. I found the DVD decades ago, on a discount rack at the local Suncoast. The trailer is in Spanish, w/no subtitles, because it's the only one I could find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2022 11:55 AM

Re Doug Guinan - was not aware that he'd passed away. Sad to hear. His novel CALIFORNIA SCREAMING is so much fun. And the book cover was amazing - an image of a man's nude torso, and the nipples were raised little bubbles that you could glide your fingers over!

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2022 12:25 PM

The Boys In The Band is basically Datalounge: The Movie.

by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2022 1:18 PM

There are literally, and I mean that in the literal sense, thousands of gay movies on prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO max…

Of every conceivable stripe, attitude, and genre

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2022 2:05 AM

Thanks for your post on Doug Guinan R22. Did his papers go to a university? It would be fun to know about the novel he'd planned and whether the draft exists.

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2022 8:28 AM

Marriage is between a man and a woman.

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2022 8:33 AM

Why has no one filmed "The Well of Loneliness"?

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2022 9:11 AM

Most gay films especially before the 2010s were like student thesises or wannabe arthouse stuff all with $5 budgets. I don't mind happy endings, if it's well-written. The tragic endings weren't written any better.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2022 4:34 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2022 4:54 PM

I guess you'll just have to watch Brokeback Mountain again, OP.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2022 5:02 PM

It doesn't really sound like OP is looking for dark or gritty gay films, ("The last truly bitchy and entertaining movie I remember") ("What's really cunty and worth seeing?"), just snarky bitchy ones. Not sure which is worse, those types, of which there are many, or ones with saccharine endings, of which there are also many.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2022 5:06 PM

Datalounge as a a gay film would get old quick. We watch movies to escape and become immersed. Not watch a bunch of queens bitch at each other. Maybe as a Chuck Lorre sitcom it would work..

by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2022 5:13 PM

Having read a couple of recent gay YA novels I'm almost inclined to agree with OP. In an effort to present a "positive picture" of gay life to the readers, these books (and the movies likely to be made from them) are conditioning young gays to see a rosy, unrealistic, and almost sickly-sweet gay world. Yeah it would be fun to see more bitchy humor and some of the darker aspects .

[quote]We watch movies to escape and become immersed.

You can becmoe immersed in great, movies like Midnight Cowboy that reflect real life - what happened to movies like that? I can't get immersed in escapism. Where we used to try to reflect real life, sometimes, now we have to watch camic book characters like the Joker rather than real people in real life situations.

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2022 5:18 PM

*sorry, I was so immersed I was typing without glassed

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2022 5:25 PM

(Still am. LOL - glasses)

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2022 5:26 PM

r44 tla releasing.

Where for Americans, they were your primary option for lgbt indies... on par with troma films... in having very strict criteria towards D list movies that facefuck you with what they thought was camp.

that's where we remain now... either so over the top the lgbt element overrides everything or so muted them being lgbt is irrelevant.

if you've got a good story, either you're paying out of pocket and nobody can afford to do that... grants have their own critera that plays out the same... or you have better option with foreign language films.

"Not Another Gay Movie" - was a protest film as he wanted to option another project but they told him it wasn't gay enough.

But that happens with every minority project... it's why they all seem like cornball, overly formulated, boxed 50s shit.

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2022 5:29 PM

[quote]Thanks for your post on Doug Guinan [R22]. Did his papers go to a university? It would be fun to know about the novel he'd planned and whether the draft exists.

I don't think so, and I doubt the new novel was even underway in any real way.

Doug also wrote two episodes of the old Showtime "Queer As Folk", but I'm not sure he had the stomach for tv writing that required listening to showbiz producer types hollering, conniving, barking orders, or behaving in any sort of unpleasant manner. He was a low-key polite guy who wasn't as interested in the "rough & tumble" side of professional showbiz even though he was already in it, from time to time!

Because "California Screaming" predated the Gender Identity Movements lockhold on the lgbTQIA+ experience and marketing of such, I imagine it would barely make sense to all today's QUEERS! Last week would have been Doug's 60th birthday and his friends still miss him very much.

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2022 5:49 PM

I miss not-tragic coming out films like Another Country, Maurice, Shelter, or Beautiful Thing. Those films just make me warm and nostalgic.

by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2022 5:58 PM

r47 or aybe to a paint a more easily digestable analogy..

I was with a band on a small industrial label in Germany

one performer on the label broke into the mainstream

and a major label decided to buy all our contracts out - a fair investment strategy.

Which was fine because they paid way more than we were worth and you can't help but think of all the possibilities

that was until they decided because our members were fruits, we should be under their newly formed gay label.

which at the time, gay music was still largely defined by house with the exception of homocore that still remained outliers and other acts that had already established themselves in more formal genres.

short of it was it completely destroyed our marketability, not only did they restrict us to the gay category but as our band was American based, they decided to only market us in North America... which while it opened up a wide array of doors but there was very little we could offer or that anyone actually wanted from us.

Another person on our label fell into a similar trap, because of the black frontwoman of an experimental metal band.

the reason we ended up on a foreign label was because they didn't care about that shit and didn't try to hammer us into a mold we didn't fit.

The distribution of films plays out the same way... you can go fully indie but it's a bitch to find public access points even if you're giving it away. Like composers of old, you rely on patronage and that for the most part plays out like any other investment.

Investors are more keen to invest in more of the same. . . that gives them a sense of market stability in what is an extremely unstable market - entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2022 6:17 PM

I would like more movies where the lead just happens to be gay and has a boyfriend/husband or active sex life. Sex scenes and all and it's treated as no big deal. Genre would be good like police procedural, scifi, fantasy, historical, horror, steampunk, etc.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2022 7:12 PM

I’ve never seen Chad Allen in his Donald Strachey films, but maybe those are what you’re looking for, R51.

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2022 7:17 PM

I'd like more gay movies like Stranger in the Lake. Suspenseful, sexy and without a downer of an ending, although it doesn't stretch itself for a happy ending either.

I abhor gay comedies like Fire Island, which I haven't seen and never will see.

by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2022 7:24 PM

god's own country is my favorite gay movie ever and it's ultimately happy, but maybe OP will like it cause it can be dour at times

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2022 8:03 PM

"Mildred Pierce" is my favorite gay movie because it's the one that turned me gay.

by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2022 8:20 PM

I have largely been disappointed with gay movies of all kinds. As already stated above they're either tired drag queen comedies, depressing AIDS dramas, boring softcore tripe or the current trend of insufferable trans dramas. I tend to fall back on my all time favorites, episodes of ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS. Sure, the main characters aren't gay, but they have enough of a gay sensibility to satisfy and are generally hilarious and are very rewatchable, especially in a group setting. If you want a quick pick me up, watch anything from the unstoppable Seasons1-3, and the rest are perfectly fine to very good. Until someone makes something with wit and style, these are forever a delight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 11, 2022 10:04 PM

I liked “After the Fall”

by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2022 11:48 PM

The Canadian film C.R.A.Z.Y. is one of my top 5 favorite gay movies along with anything by Almodovar. Highly, highly recommended if you haven't seen it. Directed by Jean-Marc Vallée who unfortunately died a year ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2022 11:58 PM

The Opposite of Sex is overrated, and Roos is NOT a genius. Most of the film focuses on the straight chick for crying out loud!

by Anonymousreply 59July 12, 2022 1:13 AM

[quote]If anything, there's too much gay cinema that is dark and cynical. I really don't mind a silly romantic comedy about a gay couple that doesn't end in murder/suicide or madness or loneliness.

[quote]You don't seem to have a breadth of experience with homosexual cinema.

R2 I was gonna say. There's fuckall in the way of happy endings in a lot of gay movies, with the exception of the lovely Big Eden, Maurice, Beautiful Thing and a few others mentioned upthread. I havent seen Shelter I'll go look for it

Even Call Me By Your Name ended on a fuckin downer, maybe that's OP cup of tea

And Fassbinder’ s "Fox and His Friends" like R19 mentioned, I saw that when it came out christ what a shitshow of misery that was. Maybe OP will like that, and there's always Brokeback Mountain or lots of others to fall back on if its a dose of misery and pain you're looking for. Happy endings not so much

by Anonymousreply 60July 12, 2022 2:20 AM

I'm watching That Certain Summer right now as I'm reading the thread. Not happy, not totally sad, either - definitely not bitchy. I remember seeing it on TV when I was 14. Good movie, though, for a Movie Of The Week, and "revolutionary" at the time, which I remember. We even discussed it in Social Studies.

by Anonymousreply 61July 12, 2022 3:14 AM

I just rewatched Mambo Italiano and it still made me smile and laugh and Luke Kirby is a cutie, but he did become a much stronger actor.

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2022 7:26 AM

I guess fat OP has never watched French gay films.

by Anonymousreply 63July 12, 2022 7:53 AM

I like Jeffrey.

by Anonymousreply 64July 12, 2022 9:13 AM

A Beautiful Thing had a happy ending and it didn't suck. It wasn't overall happy throughout though. It seemed pretty accurate to lower-class UK life.

by Anonymousreply 65July 12, 2022 6:29 PM

Edge of Seventeen and Get Real were bittersweet in that the protagonists didn't get the guy but the happy endings were they were out and free to live their lives.

by Anonymousreply 66July 12, 2022 6:31 PM

Narky? Bitter? Then there is none other than "Girls will be Girls"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 12, 2022 6:40 PM

The gay romcoms stink like a pair of drawers that haven’t been washed in a month.

by Anonymousreply 68July 12, 2022 7:04 PM

[quote]I like Jeffrey.

That movie would have been a lot better with someone other than Steven Weber, who was SO miscast. I didn't buy his character as gay for one second.

by Anonymousreply 69July 12, 2022 7:13 PM

It’s not a movie, it’s a miniseries but “It’s A Sin” is very good.

by Anonymousreply 70July 12, 2022 7:33 PM

I get it, OP.

It doesn't even need to be full of cuntery for me, but I do want it to be interesting. I don't want generic happy endings and dumb Hallmark plots.

I also don't want to be back in the days that Vito Russo wrote about, where The F*g Always Dies In The End.

by Anonymousreply 71July 12, 2022 7:39 PM

R67

"Excuse me! Still raped over here!"

by Anonymousreply 72July 12, 2022 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!