Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Loot series

Maya Randolph as a MacKenzie Scott type divorcé of a zillionaire, making her "Americas 3rd Richest Woman." It's dreadful.

Feature the insufferable 6 acting ticks of Michaela Jaé Rodriguez. Did she have a stroke? Terrible actresse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2024 6:14 PM

It’s bad. The writing is terrible, unrealistic and adolescent. It’s riddled with misplaced haughtiness and wokisms that fall flat.

If it’s supposed to be a comedy, there’s no “setup” then punchline. It would’ve been better if it turned out the husband was gay. I literally fell asleep the second episode.

That said, it’s extremely difficult to write comedy nowadays without offending anyone, I admire and hold my appreciation for Larry David a bit more tighter after watching glop like this.

The burning money in the opening is Apple’s budget they paid to make this!

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2022 5:53 PM

I've tried so hard to find Maya Rudolph enjoyable; sorry, no can do.

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2022 6:00 PM

Looks like the Diana Jenkins story, minus the sex trafficking.

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2022 6:06 PM

Apple kind of SUCKS at TV production.

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2022 6:09 PM

I'll forgive the shortcomings of the first episode. They needed to set the scenes and introduce the characters which they managed in 30 minutes.

The Sting scene was amusing and All The Sheltered Ladies made me smile, but it wasn't like OMG WOW THIS IS AMAZING.

From the trailer and the name of the show I thought the plot would be the rich husband had set up the foundation as a tax dodge and it was involved in criminal or unethical behaviour or something.

It's something to have on in the background anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2022 6:22 PM

Agreed, R2.

The only thing she's ever done that I laughed at was her Ivanka impression on Jimmy Fallon (or was it the other SNL guy who comes on after him).

That impression was dead-on perfect--voice, mannerisms, annoyingness, and all.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2022 6:31 PM

I find Maya extremely funny, but this isn’t a great show or showcase for what she does best. And unsurprisingly, MJ Rodriguez ruins the show with terrible acting.

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2022 6:52 PM

R7 it's MICHAELA Rodriguez now

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2022 7:30 PM

Maya can do no wrong, but I'm not buying another streaming network

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2022 7:34 PM

[quote][R7] it's MICHAELA Rodriguez now

Did she call herself MJ because her hero Michael Jackson also had extensive plastic surgery to make him look like a woman and it didn't go quite right?

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2022 7:36 PM

My theory on trans actors always being bad is that they have to perform on two levels. When you’re already acting as part of your basic existence, it just looks artificial to then add character acting on top of it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2022 7:42 PM

Maybe you are on to something. Rodriguez had a very lengthy and good education in performing arts yet she seems talentless and cannot relax at all in her roles.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2022 10:08 PM

I like MJ and read she’s good in this after loosening up.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2022 10:39 PM

I had such a bad feeling about this when the trailer dropped (didn't laugh once), so I'm not at all surprised it's a dud.

I disagree that Apple TV doesn't know what it's doing, I'm enjoying the second season of Physical and the third season of For All Mankind a lot right now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2022 11:45 PM

I hate her. Solely based on her looks alone. Ive never seen even a clip of her.Yet my hate is real. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2022 11:54 PM

Yea JaeRodriguez is a horrible actress. I assumed she was given Pose for the fact that she was trans. But to be given an actual “acting” role is shocking and poor judgment - girl can’t act, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote] Michaela Jaé Rodriguez

[quote] MJ Rodriguez

Maybe if she spent less effort on changing her name and more effort on her acting...

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2022 12:13 AM

MJ Rodriguez looks cross eyed.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2022 12:32 AM

She also seems to have a movement tick to her head, a droopy side to her face, and that's why I ask if she had a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2022 1:40 AM

The third episode is the best, with Maya in the "hot sauce" interview scene.

MJ plays Maya's stuck up charity CEO who has to deal with the aftermaths of her boss putting her foot in her mouth with her out of touch shenanigans. She is supposed to be cold and distant and all business. Except in the restaurant scene where she shares when she realized who she wants to be career wise.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2022 6:06 AM

I don't get stuck up from MJ's character. I get trash bootstrapper. Is her character trans? So far no mention.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2022 6:17 AM

[quote]Apple has struck a multi-year first-look deal with Animal Pictures, the production company run by Maya Rudolph, Natasha Lyonne and Danielle Renfrew Behrens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2022 4:33 PM

I’m sick of her fugly face and weird stick-straight parted in the middle hairstyle popping up everywhere. Who wants to see this?

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2022 4:40 PM

It's a stupid show, but I love Maya. Sue me. I'm two eps in and will for sure watch the rest

MJ is clearly the weak link.

First, I can't believe her character would be so brazenly rude to Maya's. I get that she's supposed to be an uptight do-gooder. But come on. That inverse power dynamic needs to be earned. On MJ's first call to Maya, she was bossy and rude. Just don't buy it.

Second, can she possibly deliver a line that isn't wooden? It's weird. Someone upthread said a trans actor is acting twice. Which I actually think is a brilliant summation. Makes a lot of sense.

Also, how could would it be for the trans character to be the free wheelin' fuck up instead of the Little Miss Perfect? Might be a nice change up.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2022 4:52 PM

Laverne Cox was able abysmally bad actor in orange is the new black, and was nominated for an Emmy. MJ was nominated for Pose. I have many gripes about the trans movement, but one I’m really sick of is how we grade them on a curve. If we have to have them as a political liability, at least let us have escape in our entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2022 4:54 PM

Candis Cayne is a likable actor. Let's see more of her.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2022 5:02 PM

MJ was absolutely the worst part of Pose. Even the silent kid was a better actor than her.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2022 5:02 PM

I have enjoyed it so far. The "Hot Ones" scene had me laughing enough to concern the dog. I feel like they could take her a little more over the top and out of touch, more like Edina Monsoon. Not a fan of Rodriguez. I want to scream "enunciate" whenever she appears on screen. I just had a medical procedure and spent the weekend in bed. I binged "Dead End: Paranormal Park" and in the last episode I was going nuts trying to place a voice actor. Turned out it was Rodriguez. Then tuned into Loot. I could not escape her annoying mumble.

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2022 6:52 PM

The “Hot Ones” scene was just a less funny retread of Maya’s “Beyoncé does Hot Ones” sketch on SNL.

Joel Kim Booster seems ill-moored - and it doesn’t help that Matt Rogers is so fantastic in I Love That For You playing essentially the same character. They should have given, the dire, MJ Rodriguez the assistant role and let someone more at Maya’s level do the Foundation ED - Natasha Rothwell would have been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2022 8:22 PM

Its so half-baked or pre-digested.

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2022 9:36 PM

The music is great.

Rodriguez is awful. She is more boring this superfluous word. word

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2022 12:19 AM

Ep 4 was pretty weak.

I feel like Maya isn’t playing the character with any consistency… just doing what she has to in each scene to get laughs. And there are have a couple of hilarious moments in the series thus far.

But hard to care about the lame and unsubtle story.

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2022 1:58 AM

I gave it 20 minutes

That was 20 minutes too long

Didn’t laugh once

by Anonymousreply 33July 5, 2022 2:14 AM

I like it, but it really should have just been 2 hours, not a whole season I've just watched 3 episodes. It doesn't flow like other comedy tv shows. Maybe they'll give the other characters storylines

by Anonymousreply 34July 5, 2022 2:16 AM

Renewed for Season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2022 4:01 AM

It's totally stupid, but I like it. I do have a thing for Maya. She just makes me laugh, even when she's not trying to be funny.

Her love interest - who I can't quite place - is quite likable too.

by Anonymousreply 36July 12, 2022 5:05 AM

I'm still hate watching it, but I do love the clothes. Whoever is doing the wardrobe is doing a good job.

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2022 2:54 PM

I feel the same way R36. There's just something about it that I like. It's not full of the usual stale jokes you get on sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2022 3:46 PM

I love r24 and r29 comments. Spot on and totally agree. No notes.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2022 2:02 AM

R35 renewed? lol, one of those guaranteed "2-season" deal negotiated by the actors , so everyone will have a second season, no one will be embarrassed for being cancelled after just one season.

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2022 2:10 AM

As much as I love Maya on SNL and other funny cameos , this vehicle was making her seem untalented and cringe.

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2022 2:17 AM

Rodriguez and Booster are no talent hacks.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2022 2:22 AM

MJ is just so horrible in this. In addition to her horrible acting, her role is written so badly. NOBODY talks to the purse strings like that. Molly could (and should) fire her time and time again after multiple rude comments.

Not to

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 2:29 AM

It's back for a new series.

The Vogue 73 questions opening made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2024 7:50 PM

This looks unbearable. I like her in small doses. She’s good as a side dish, not the main meal. She is in one of my all-time favorite SNL skits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2024 9:26 PM

I can’t believe they brought this back.

Maya ditches character development for laughs at every turn. Not a leading lady. The fact that they reheated that Hot One’s sketch from SNL speaks to how weak this is. They slotted that scene in where it had no relation to her character’s arc.

No one is good in this.

The writing is just terrible. Not funny. There’s nothing compelling viewers to invest in any characters.

by Anonymousreply 46April 8, 2024 9:32 PM

Lots of shit series on Apple +

by Anonymousreply 47April 8, 2024 9:57 PM

The Taylor Swift "storyline"..... oh dear

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2024 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!