Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jon Hamm in Progressive Insurance commercials

Sad!

by Anonymousreply 38June 28, 2022 3:01 PM

Really sad.

And so fucking unbelievable. He’s after that ugly progressive cow?

Laughable.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 5:21 PM

Musta had a car payment due.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 5:30 PM

It is a little jarring to see some established actors, etc. doing commercials, but it's a paycheck. I was on IMDB and they have interviews from actors from all levels, with the title "No Role Too Small" so I guess Hollywood is embracing that it's about staying in front of the camera.

There are Oscar winners, etc. taking TV ad money who probably realized that they are not so high and mighty to refuse work - Halle Berry, Sharon Stone, George Clooney, Liev Schrieber, etc. all how they started out and probably remember when they would die to get on a TV commercial.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2022 5:40 PM

Do you know how much is one time payment plus residuals amounts to? Good for Jon Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 5:48 PM

I'm sure a very established commercial actor like Flo in the Progressive ads makes as much or more in any given year than most B list actors and a lot of A listers as well (with the exception of perennial superstars). Certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Don't fret, my pretties. Jon Hamm got some coin for these ads. The Hammaconda will not be going hungry any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 5:53 PM

It’s called the Betty Davis affect. But even she had substantial roles up until her death.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]But even she had substantial roles up until her death.

Come again?

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2022 6:23 PM

How the mighty hath fallen.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 10:11 PM

He should start an Only Fans. We'd make him a billionaire in 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 10:13 PM

R5 I wonder how much Flo does make from those ads. She has a great gig.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2022 10:30 PM

Lily from those AT&T ads makes bucks, too.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 1:53 AM

Even Regina King has hopped on the train - she is an actor, director, producer and Oscar winner. A commercial takes maybe a day of work and the checks flow in.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 5:29 PM

I don't hold it against any actor if they cash in on an endorsement deal (except Jennifer Aniston, but that's a whole other thread). If it allows them to do the work they care about and still live comfortably, I'm all for it.

Having said that, playing second fiddle to Flo is rather humiliating. He could have gotten a voice over for a car commercial or something for the same money without resorting to that. He should be doing one of those quirky, fun campaigns like Ryan Reynolds does for his phone company.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 8:34 PM

"He could have gotten a voice over for a car commercial."

Jon Hamm has been doing voice over commercials for Mercedes Benz for years, probably since his Mad Men days.

And for my advertising dollars, there's nothing quirkier than Flo, her entire extended family, her co-workers, and her arch-enemies. As far as advertising goes, Flo has been doing commercials far longer and far better than Ryan Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 8:43 PM

I never realized Flo had such passionate fans. Good for you, R14! We should all celebrate the things we love.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 8:50 PM

Shaq is the king of commercials. If residuals are such a cash cow, he must be worth his weight in gold.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 9:41 PM

R13 Why not Aniston? Because she’s already swimming in money?

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 10:01 PM

Hmm looks be in that spot. They’ve clearly used digital magic on his face, which looks weird.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 10:08 PM

BAD in that spot.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 10:08 PM

Hamm will never be cast as anyone but a Don Draper sex magnet.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2022 8:21 AM

Did yall know that Flo used to be on Mad Men, season 1. Flo was a legitimate actress doing bit parts and minor recurring roles. She hit the jackpot with progressive. She gets paid more than most soap stars.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2022 8:26 AM

R20 His turn as a Boston FBI agent in The Town was convincing. But then he was cast by a fellow 'actor'.

by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2022 8:30 AM

[quote] there's nothing quirkier than Flo, her entire extended family

Wish they'd revisit those After-School-Special PSA scenarios - they were hilarious - a lot more they could mine with those.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2022 8:34 AM

Where can I sign up?

Will I get an Oscar nomination?

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2022 8:37 AM

[quote] "Did yall know that Flo used to be on Mad Men, season 1. Flo was a legitimate actress doing bit parts and minor recurring roles. She hit the jackpot with progressive. She gets paid more than most soap stars."

Stephanie Courtney HAS done very well as a result. These net worth things are always bogus, but she does speak about her background, and how she got the part at the link. There's also a short tenth anniversary documentary at the link as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2022 8:48 AM

Sad , he should start onlyfans present giant dong and make millions.

by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2022 8:58 AM

I don't begrudge anyone making a living, however, it is kind of jarring to see Don Draper on those annoying progressive commercials. As someone else noted, I think it wouldn't sting so much if it was for a cool product, like a sports car or fine scotch. Instead, he's 2nd banana to that annoying Flo

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2022 9:03 AM

Jon Hamm never caught on the way Hollywood wanted him to, despite how hard they tried to shove him down our throats during the Mad Men years. He struggled before that too which is strange because he’s handsome and a decent actor. He’s said to be a major asshole in real life so maybe that comes through in his performances.

Didn’t they throw a bunch of movies at him at one point and they all flopped?

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2022 9:03 AM

[quote] He’s said to be a major asshole in real life

He's definitely a major prick in real life.

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2022 9:06 AM

R28 He can't carry a movie but maybe he can make a career out of being Don Draper in ads. Nothing wrong with that if he's enjoying a life out of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2022 9:14 AM

We want Jon to sit on our face!!

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2022 9:27 AM

Nobody can become a 'movie star' now. The entertainment industry and the way the public consume it has changed.

People are not driven by 'names' & 'stars' but by franchises and product.

Who was the last bona fide movie star to emerge that still has some drawing power. Nobody that debuted this century, that is for certain. You have to go back to the 1990's - Roberts, Di Caprio, Pitt, Bullock.

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2022 9:37 AM

Unfortunately for him, his career didn’t catch fire until he was in his late 30’s. As a result, his time as a leading man was brief l, and he’s now in the “can’t afford to say ‘no’” phase of his career.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2022 9:55 AM

Channing Tatum, maybe

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2022 9:55 AM

Cate Blanchett was in a couple movies in the 90s but became a star from Lord of the Rings on.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2022 10:04 AM

Well it's better than "Flo" (Courtney)

Disclaimer, I'm a former Progressive employee (corporate)

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2022 11:22 AM

If it's between Flo, a talking gecko, an emu or a duck, I'll take Flo.

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2022 9:54 PM

R35 She's a star of the 'woke' set that she courts but to the masses she means next to nothing.

She can't open a film but she is great at opening envelopes at award shows when she isn't receiving one herself.

by Anonymousreply 38June 28, 2022 3:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!