Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is anyone watching The Bear on Hulu

Fun show. And Jeremy Allen White still looks like Penny Marshall, but he is just so sexy to me. I don't know what that fucker has, but he's hot, just a butterface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 23, 2024 3:30 AM

I like the ugly face. loved him in "shameless"

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 3:28 PM

I would let Jeremy Allan White demolish my asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 4:06 PM

I enjoyed it and yet found it stress inducing

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2022 4:08 PM

I get that R3. There is a lot going on, but I like it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 4:14 PM

I can’t wait. He’s got a great body

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 8:15 PM

He's a male jolie laide. Idk if there's a term for that. He's weird looking but still very attractive for some reason. I like this show so far.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 12:22 AM

It makes me feel anxious like I work in restaurants again. The only thing missing is the nonstop sexual harassment

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 10:17 AM

[quote]Idk if there's a term for that.

Sure there is, “joli laid”. The masculine form of the feminine form you used

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 1:18 PM

I HATED him as Lip in shameless. Debbie, Carl and Ian were all played by bad actors but White was especially bad. He had this very annoying speech pattern that he would affect to let you know that Lip is just a working class tough guy. Totally unconvincing as an alcoholic although maybe that was a writing problem. He did have a nice chiseled body though. I'll give him that. I definitely won't be watching this show.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 1:19 PM

He actually sounds sort of NY (which he is) and that makes one immediately realize that he couldn’t be a kid growing up on the south side os Chicago

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 1:23 PM

R7 exactly! And I have never worked in a restaurant but it made me certain I never would want to.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2022 5:08 AM

I remember when he played a teen sex creep on SVU.

I really enjoyed the show. Obviously the ending changes everything for the next season if there's going to be one.

All the characters--even the minor ones-- are all fleshed out as real people. That's pretty rare.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2022 5:59 AM

I remember that too, r12. He has this really nasty fake acne and he said the line "if there's grass on the field, play ball".

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2022 7:46 AM

He’s a Good actor

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2022 12:46 PM

I checked it out because of all the acclaim, but couldn't make it past the first ten minutes. Food-based shows really aren't for me, and I just can't get past that aspect. Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of Moss-Bachrach. I don't think he's all that.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2022 1:00 PM

he has his moments - I've never seen him before. he seems a fill-in for vince vaughn

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2022 1:21 PM

I’ve watched six episodes and I like it. JAW has developed a bit and yes, the group convo sessions are hard to understand saint times but that is the needed affect. I like it

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2022 1:59 AM

The weird part of the series is a restaurant that only opens at 3pm. What type of mother-fucking chicago jackass bullshite is that?

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2022 2:05 AM

Also, i just realized they are “river North”. There is like a ritz Carlton there I think. It’s not a gritty urban melting pot at all, it’s more like Times Square than anything. No wonder chicagoans are always angry.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2022 2:42 AM

I love the show but parts of it bother me already. POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT>>>

If his brother left him the restaurant why not fire Richie? He's useless. Or, why not sell it to his uncle if he owes 300K, surely he could get a better gig elsewhere.

If he was so insistent on keeping it open, why keep the menu the same if he's fine dining and so is his sous chef?

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2022 8:13 PM

Damn. This show went dark, and went dark Fast!

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2022 2:26 AM

Weird but fascinating ending. Who is the actor who plays the brother?

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2022 2:50 AM

Next season can have them struggling with the buildout, customers who are pissed with the new concept, the cousin's stupidity, dealing with the real owner of the tomato cans.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2022 12:29 PM

I hope they have a next season. I think it was wonderfully done

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2022 12:42 PM

[quote]If his brother left him the restaurant why not fire Richie? He's useless. Or, why not sell it to his uncle if he owes 300K, surely he could get a better gig elsewhere.

Richie was the brother's best friend. like the others he simply came with the territory. it's clear that Carmie walked into the place never having gotten to know it very well, he maybe hoped that richie had some real talent for something, much to his disappointment.

He's not selling it as he explains later that the restaurant is sort of an amalgam all of his problems, and his family's problems - and by "fixing" it, maybe he can fix himself.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2022 12:45 PM

I wish he'd get a love scene. I always felt like a perv watching Shameless. But now that he's a little older...

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2022 12:52 PM

I wonder what the mom's deal is. And who will play her.

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2022 3:50 PM

Abby Elliot is a really good actor. She and the guy who play Richie had the best Chicago accents. Hers was the best of the two. It seems easy to do, but it can easily go cartoonish like Oliver Platt's

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2022 4:03 PM

Does anyone else think Oliver Platt looked very feminine on the show? My husband kept thinking he was a woman.

I found Abby Elliott's character very annoying. Finished it last night; at times it's really hard to watch because of all the yelling.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2022 4:04 PM

That's exactly what working in a restaurant is like. Gordon Ramsey is the norm, except most aren't as witty or insightful. It's more "Hey tits, move your big fat ass with this plate to table 15 and bring me a shot of Jack when you get back"

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2022 4:10 PM

R26, actually, it is remarkable that for a show about “heat” there is absolutely no sexual tension at all, and I for once welcome it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2022 4:38 PM

I'd still like to watch his ass pounding away.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2022 4:52 PM

We got that in shameless, at least at first

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2022 3:17 AM

Finished it today. I didn’t expect to like it at first with the characters always screaming at each other. Glad I stuck with it, and I even teared up at the end! I hope it gets a second season.

I wasn’t sure why Carmen was apologizing to everyone though. Sydney screwed up the online ordering system (and then fucking bailed!) and the donut guy was being completely useless and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 34July 2, 2022 8:22 PM

He apologized because its the gentlemanly thing to do in a crisis

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2022 9:38 PM

I’ll stick to my bootleg BJ and the Bear VHS tapes. Greg Evigan is way hotter than that Jeremy guy

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2022 9:44 PM

I’d debate that

by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2022 9:48 PM

r19 I am only on the 1st ep. It seems like the restaurant was there before the neighborhood gentrified. The one son stayed behind the times and the other left, learned new skills and is able to adapt to the changes.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2022 9:21 PM

God, he really does look like Penny Marshall and is a tiny bit wall-eyed.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2022 10:03 PM

I watched it, thank you for the recommendation. I really liked it, loved how gritty it was and that it's so fast paced.

by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2022 2:41 AM

OP, I get why you like his look. He looks like he can throw a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2022 2:49 AM

indeed he does

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2022 1:24 PM

Posted this in the other thread. I did search. Sue me. Reposting here.

Just now finished the season. It definitely gets an A for originality. It is also not a show you should watch if you have high blood pressure or get stressed easily. It’s quite manic and claustrophobic. It is different. It is unique. I had to pause and Google the actress who was leading the AA meeting in the third episode. That can’t be her. Wait. It was. Anyway, the last episode was totally unexpected. Enough so I would be up for another season which means, of course, it won’t happen.

Any others get through this? Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2022 2:53 AM

WTH.

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2022 2:59 AM

It was Molly Ringwald. Why not just say it R43?

by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2022 4:30 AM

I watch the first episode, but as a vegetarian the heavy emphasis on meat became unnerving, did it become less meat centric as the series continues?

by Anonymousreply 46July 6, 2022 6:19 AM

No, and yes, but why would that be an issue?

by Anonymousreply 47July 6, 2022 11:21 AM

Alan Sepinwall's review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2022 3:24 PM

I like the review

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2022 1:51 AM

I'm on episode 7 and I've enjoyed it. It's tense and angsty. A bit one note in that everyone is always on edge and people are screaming, but I still like it.

by Anonymousreply 50July 10, 2022 6:40 PM

The location of the restaurant is at Orleans and Erie which is in River North and has been completely gentrified. Unless his brother owned the building which I don’t think he does and the class of clients of coming in, the location makes no sense. That’s just a local thing. Having said that I am absolutely hooked. It’s a terrific show.

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2022 7:05 PM

Does Lip get naked in this show?

by Anonymousreply 52July 10, 2022 7:14 PM

No, far from it in fact. It’s very desexualized.

R51, indeed the biggest complaint of the show is how out-of-context the area feels. It’s near the loop, but seems like some gritty urban hellhole, which those areas totally aren’t

by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2022 1:46 PM

The location really isn't even that important to the show. All these people complaining just want attention for knowing that the exact coordinates in River North where the restaurant is supposed to be isn't as gritty as it appears on the show. The fictional show, which deals with fictional characters is a fictional Chicago, which could very well have a not-as-gentrified-as-in-real-life River North - because it's fiction.

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2022 8:53 PM

I think they mentioned that construction was going on in the neighborhood. Maybe that was their way of acknowledging the changing demographics

by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2022 9:36 PM

They can acknowledge that Jeremy Allen White is super hot

by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2022 12:22 PM

Renewed for season 2!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2022 3:15 PM

W00T!!!

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2022 12:30 PM

For those who fall for Jeremy Allen White, I recommend Calvin Banks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 27, 2022 1:37 PM

I have honestly not loved a new show as intensely as this one in many years. I normally only half watch a show while doing something else. I am WATCHING this. so good. it's intense but fortunately they drop in these occasional extremely funny things to break up the tension so it's not miserable.

by Anonymousreply 60July 28, 2022 9:35 PM

I like the style of the show but I’m surprised that critics aren’t calling out the endless cliches. I had a headache from all the eye-rolling at how unrealistic and “made for TV” these characters and their storylines are. But I like the style.

by Anonymousreply 61July 28, 2022 9:50 PM

My FACE, Jeremy Allen White's ASSHOLE!

Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2022 10:23 PM

The main guy is like a miniature Robert Mitchum - I'm surprised more people haven't pointed out they look quite alike in the face. The Gene Wilder comparison works too.

by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2022 10:25 PM

I just finished the season. Goddammit that was a great show, there better be some emmies coming their way.

by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2022 12:37 AM

r59, you know, i LOVE Calvin banks.

by Anonymousreply 65July 29, 2022 1:04 PM

Who is Robert Mitchem?

by Anonymousreply 66July 29, 2022 1:05 PM

A month later, I'm ready to watch this again. And these days, I NEVER re-watch tv.

by Anonymousreply 67July 30, 2022 9:57 PM

I need to watch this show; even though I know I likely wouldn't last 5 minutes, I've always kind of had this daydream about running my own restaurant

by Anonymousreply 68August 3, 2022 10:21 AM

I was excited to see what kind of Chicago accent Jon Bernthal would come up with. The answer is zilch, nada none. At times, a Southern drawl broke through. WTF?

All the Italian beef places buy their bread from Gonnellas or Turanos and maybe a few others. A resident breadbaker sends up major alarms.

As stated earlier, lunch trade is everything at one of these places. Also, when Richie talked about this as a working people's place, he obviously meant those who will spring 12-18 for a to-go sandwich. No one has these sandwiches daily. All that beef would kill you.

No letter grades for food inspections in Chicago. They're rated in terms of risks--1, 2, 3..

Moss Bachrach did a bang-up job on his Chicago accent. except that it would have been appropriate in 1970, not today. Jeff Mauro, the food network jerk, comes close.

by Anonymousreply 69August 3, 2022 11:30 AM

JAW does IT for me.

I like the show. My only criticism is that it's a little TOO "actory" and that makes some of it difficult for me. I'm looking at you Ebon Moss-Bachrach and Ayo Edebiri. I find both characters slightly annoying and both actors really hammy. I wanted to like the cupcake guy, but it was just too much. I also find myself completely uninterested in his relationship with his sister.

Moss Bachrach IS nice to look at tho

by Anonymousreply 70August 3, 2022 11:58 AM

[quote] I'd still like to watch his ass pounding away.

Disappointing in the ass department from this image I found

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 3, 2022 12:15 PM

Sorry ^ that' ^ is an image of his body looks great. THIS is the disappointing ass shot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 3, 2022 12:16 PM

He’s sexy as fuck

by Anonymousreply 73August 8, 2022 7:14 AM

I liked the show, though Carmie is just another version of Lip from Shameless; damaged, troubled yet brilliant guy. JAW does it well, but the character is Lip 2.0.

I'm guessing the relationship with the sister will be explored in the next season when the complete family dysfunction will be covered.

by Anonymousreply 74August 13, 2022 12:25 AM

Lip just can't get out of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 75August 13, 2022 12:40 AM

[quote]I wasn’t sure why Carmen was apologizing to everyone though. Sydney screwed up the online ordering system (and then fucking bailed!) and the donut guy was being completely useless and annoying.

I think Carmie was trying to change his behavior, change the culture of the place, but when the heat was on, he lost his shit & just screamed at everyone. Sydney has been pushing, pushing him and then it explodes in her face, she bails and you get the sense from her last scene with the baker that has been in a trend in her life. I thought the baker being allowed to donut fantasies was ridiculous, but when he got yanked back to earth by Carmie screaming at him to get shit done, that seemed pretty realistic.

Even if you've never worked in a kitchen, I thought the theme of people trying to change a toxic work environment/bad behavior only to revert back to old behaviors when things got tough was pretty typical. Likewise, the annoying "we can't change because you don't understand the history/culture, etc" (a view usually espoused by an underachieving white guy) was also typical of many work environments, not just restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2022 3:20 PM

The relentless manic energy of that episode made me anxious and then I wondered “Why didn’t they turn off the machine the orders were coming through when they realized they couldn’t keep up?”

by Anonymousreply 77August 17, 2022 7:28 AM

He's the epitome of ugly hot.

by Anonymousreply 78August 17, 2022 8:46 AM

Real emotions, a smattering of authentic restaurant practices and a whole lot of contrived plot premises. Somehow it works. Or doesn't if you're a Chicagoan.

Food tip: Want to make your own Italian beef sandwich? Buy thinly sliced roast beef at a deli. Submerge for hours in beef stock with Italian seasoning and green bell pepper. Serve on sliced baguette dipped in au jus.

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2022 4:09 PM

Beef gives me indigestion, but that grilled chicken with peppers looked delicious!

by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2022 12:49 AM

Late to the party but I absolutely love this show.

by Anonymousreply 81August 30, 2022 2:39 PM

I really like Abby Elliot in this. She, Amanda Seyfried, Kaley Cuoco and the booby MAGAT from Euphoria should all play sisters

by Anonymousreply 82August 30, 2022 3:13 PM

Hey. you forgot me, R82

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2022 1:47 PM

I loved episode 7 all that rage in the kitchen. It really took me back to bring with a waiter and dealing with chefs sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 84August 31, 2022 1:50 PM

Did anyone see The Boiling Point, I thought that was pretty good but this series captures the kitchen chaos much better I thInk.

by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2022 7:36 PM

I had no idea the cupcake guy was part of Tyler the Creator' s Loiter Squad. He really grew into a handsome guy.

by Anonymousreply 86September 1, 2022 10:33 AM

A cafe opened featuring the Bear's chocolate cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 1, 2022 5:26 PM

R54 maybe, but more careful attention to the geography and changing demographics of Chicago could have enhanced the show. Richie's rant about Sydney's risotto and gentrification doesn't really make sense in an already-gentrified neighborhood like River North; like his accent, this mentality is stuck in the 1970s.

Also, who gets in a fistfight at a bachelor party?

by Anonymousreply 88September 1, 2022 5:45 PM

Hated him as Lip in Shameless. Trying to convince an audience that this bugeyed trashbag was pulling every girl in Chicago was a massive stretch.

In this, however, he’s really good. The show highlights how family restaurants are a cornerstone in any community or city without getting preachy or sappy about it. I like the show a lot.

by Anonymousreply 89September 1, 2022 6:39 PM

I liked White in both shows. He's a good actor. The writing is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 90September 2, 2022 4:27 PM

I just finally streamed it and LOVED it! So gritty and realistic and yet with so much heart. Tina was easily my favorite character -- especially when she schools Syd on being a woman in the professional kitchen.

I've recommended it to my 20 y/o niece who wants to embark on a culinary career. I want her to see just how un-glamorous the chef-ing world is in real life before she decides she wants to be a part of that whole scene.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2022 3:53 AM

I finally finished it the other night. I'd been watching it on D+ but I couldn't wait any longer for the finale, which was excellent. I thought JAW's monologue at the start of the episode was really beautifully done.

I really need a second season of this. It shot up to my favorite thing I watched this year, along with Barry and The Baby. I guess I have a thing for shows that start with B.

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2022 3:59 AM

There was a restaurant series on STARZ, forgot the name. The lead was played by a British actress Ella Purnell using an American accent. Ella is currently in Yellowjackets. One of the male leads was also British, Tom Sturridge. I don't even remember if he also spoke in an American accent. The show was awful.

The truly terrible Paul Sparks played the restaurant owner, how the fuck did this guy get into acting?! In every role he plays the same character, he's totally one note. Same draggy monotone delivery. ugh

IIRC, the series was based on a book. Sweet Bitter? Think that was the title. It was excruciating. Think it lasted only two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2022 5:43 AM

Bittersweet r93. Tom did play American in that.

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2022 5:51 AM

Sweetbitter r93 you were correct.

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2022 5:52 AM

I just Googled it, the STARZ series was called Sweetbitter it was on from 2018 to 2019.

"Sweetbitter is an American drama television series, based on the 2016 novel of the same name by Stephanie Danler and inspired by her time working in New York’s well-known restaurant Union Square Café. The show premiered on May 6, 2018 on Starz."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2022 5:54 AM

[quote] I was excited to see what kind of Chicago accent Jon Bernthal would come up with. The answer is zilch, nada none. At times, a Southern drawl broke through. WTF?

Not everyone who lives in Chicago necessarily grew up in Chicago. Is his character supposed to have?

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2022 5:57 AM

Listen to Jeff Mauro on Food Network to get an idea of how Bernthal's character should have sounded. He probably shot all his scenes in less than a week and didn't bother to work on his character.

by Anonymousreply 98September 13, 2022 11:13 PM

The three siblings don’t look like they’re related.

by Anonymousreply 99September 13, 2022 11:16 PM

It is a really good show but I find myself so stressed out watching it.

by Anonymousreply 100September 13, 2022 11:55 PM

Season 2 thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 15, 2023 6:36 PM

Molly Ringwald sho is ugly.

Her face looks like a combination Rumer Willis/Lord Farquaard from Shrek

by Anonymousreply 102July 8, 2023 11:00 PM

I don't think he's a butterface. I think he's just hot, period. His face is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 103July 8, 2023 11:16 PM

I think I would like it if I watched it commercial free.

by Anonymousreply 104July 8, 2023 11:26 PM

I just started this show and loved season 1. Not sure it’s really a comedy but eh happy it won all the Emmy’s.

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2024 2:41 AM

Disappointed in the size of his meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2024 3:21 AM

His cock is pretty! Look at the shape!

by Anonymousreply 107January 23, 2024 3:25 AM

He's got a weirdly photogenic face, with those beautiful sad hooded eyes. But, he's a midget.

by Anonymousreply 108January 23, 2024 3:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!