Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greg's Favorite Macaroni & Cheese Recipe

This is an easy and delicious way to prepare macaroni & cheese. This custard-based method results in an incredibly silky sauce that is not grainy. Why evaporated milk? The evaporation and sterilization process stabilizes the milk, which in turn stabilizes the mac & cheese, resulting in a deliciously silky sauce.

[bold] GREG'S FAVORITE GO-TO RECIPE FOR MACARONI & CHEESE [/bold]

[bold] Ingredients [/bold]

[bold] BREAD CRUMB TOPPING [/bold]

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup fresh bread crumbs or panko

1 ounce sharp Wisconsin cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)

[bold] CREAMY MAC & CHEESE [/bold]

2 large eggs

1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk

1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce

2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dry mustard, dissolved in 1 teaspoon water

1/2 pound of macaroni (I like using gemelli but you can use elbow or any other pasta you like)

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter

11 ounces sharp Wisconsin cheddar, American, or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 2 3/4 to 3 cups)

[bold] Procedure [/bold]

[bold] 1. For the bread crumb topping [/bold]: Heat butter in large sauté pan over medium heat until foam subsides. Add 1 cup of bread crumbs or panko; cook, tossing to coat with butter, until crumbs just begin to color. Season to taste with kosher salt; set aside. When cool, stir in cheese.

[bold] 2. For the macaroni & cheese [/bold]: Mix eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk (this is not the entire can), hot pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and mustard mixture in small bowl and set aside.

3. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a saucepan or Dutch oven. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and macaroni; cook until almost tender but still a little firm to the bite. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add the 4 Tablespoons butter and toss to melt.

4. Pour the egg mixture over the buttered macaroni, along with three-quarters of the cheese; stir until thoroughly combined and cheese starts to melt. Gradually add remaining evaporated milk and remaining cheese, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes.

5. Pour cooked macaroni & cheese into a 9-inch square baking dish (or a similarly sized ovenproof dish). Spread crumbs evenly over top. Place dish under a preheated broiler (the oven rack should be about 6 inches from the broiler). Broil until the crumbs turn a deep golden brown (1 to 2 minutes but keep a careful eye on this!). Remove from oven and let stand for about 5 minutes.

[bold] Note: [/bold] If you don't want to bother with the crumbs and the broiler, just follow the recipe but use 12 ounces of cheese (about 3 cups), rather than 11 ounces, and serve the hot and creamy macaroni and cheese from the saucepan. You can also make some buttered toasted crumbs and just sprinkle over each serving.

This recipe will serve 4 people as a main course or 6 to 8 people as a side dish.

by Anonymousreply 142July 6, 2022 6:10 AM

Why the eggs Greg?

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 7:59 PM

[quote] Why the eggs Greg?

Instead of making a béchamel sauce (which can often wind up grainy), this recipe uses evaporated milk and eggs to make a custardy and beautifully silky cheese sauce. The eggs enrich and thicken the evaporated milk, rather than using flour, butter, and whole milk. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 8:08 PM

At what point do we add the prunes?

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 12:22 AM

[quote] At what point do we add the prunes?

Good question. I would add the prunes when adding the remaining evaporated milk and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 1:15 AM

I made a macaroni and cheese once with evaporated milk, and it had a funny taste that I couldn’t get rid of.

I have had good luck with the Homesick Texan’s Poblano macaroni and cheese, which is white.

I always use pipette shaped pasta for my macaroni and cheese. It’s an excellent vehicle for the sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 2:16 AM

Greg, does this go better with Prosecco or mint juleps?

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 2:17 AM

Screw the evaporated milk and eggs. Use heavy cream instead. The cheese melts easily into it and makes a nice creamy sauce.

If you want an even creamier sauce, add a few tablespoons of cold pack processed cheese spread to the sauce.

And you don't need to salt the water you cook the pasta in. Cheese is high in sodium, you don't need to add more.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2022 2:24 AM

I like my macaroni noodles very al dente. Makes leftovers so much tastier, too.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2022 3:30 AM

Yum ! It sounds delicious ! Thanks Greg !

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 3:35 AM

That sounds so damn good. I’d almost give up my neon orange stuff in the box for it, but for the fact that I’m so lazy. But I can dream! Movie night at Greg’s with mac ‘n’ cheese!

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 4:24 AM

Two things I didn't mention:

1. I like to add some grated parmesan or Romano cheese to the 1 ounce sharp Wisconsin cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese in the buttered crumb mixture.

2. If you like, you can rub the empty baking dish with a cut clove of garlic which give your mac & cheese a light garlic taste. I don't do this, however.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 12:59 PM

Greg I am going to try this one and the Boston butt roast recipe. They both look really good. I appreciate great recipes.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 1:02 PM

More of this shit?

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 1:13 PM

[quote] Greg, does this go better with Prosecco or mint juleps?

Good question, R6. I wouldn't use either. Prosecco is a little too sweet for my taste and I despise mint juleps.

Were I eating this, I would have an ice cold Bombay martini before dinner and then I might serve the mac & cheese with a Chablis, known for its lean, acidic profile—ideal for cutting through the heaviness of cheese and pasta. It’s tart enough to stand up to the dish's richness but won’t overpower more subtle flavors.

[bold] Some other wine options to accompany mac & cheese: [/bold]

Or, a light unoaked chardonnay.

Or, a dry riesling—like crunching into a refreshing apple with your cheese.

Or, beer A classic English ale would go very well with a cheesy mac & cheese.

Or, for a treat, serve Champagne.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 1:13 PM

[quote} More of this shit? Idiot.

Good morning, R13! Sounds like you're struggling this morning. Hope the day gets better for you.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 1:14 PM

[quote] Greg I am going to try this one and the Boston butt roast recipe. They both look really good. I appreciate great recipes.

Great, R12! They are both excellent. Let us know how they turn out.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 1:16 PM

[quote] Screw the evaporated milk and eggs. Use heavy cream instead. The cheese melts easily into it and makes a nice creamy sauce. If you want an even creamier sauce, add a few tablespoons of cold pack processed cheese spread to the sauce. And you don't need to salt the water you cook the pasta in. Cheese is high in sodium, you don't need to add more.

Do as you please, R7. I don't advocate using just heavy cream and cheese. And I certainly don't advocate using cold pack processed cheese spread. Give my version a try. The condensed milk and eggs will be far creamier (not to mention better tasting) than heavy cream and processed cheese spread.

Oh, and please, definitely salt the pasta water. The reason for salting pasta water is so that the pasta can absorb the salt while it cooks. This enhances the flavor of your dish. If you salt your pasta after it is finished cooking, the flavors will not have had a chance to meld.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 1:23 PM

Evaporated milk? Eggs?

Don't let the OP fool you, it's John Legend's macaroni & cheese recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 2:43 PM

r10 Martha, I like your Macaroni & Cheese 101 best of all.

My mother ruined evaporated milk for me by drinking swill every morning: 1/3 coffee, 1/3 sugar, 1/3 evaporated milk. I took one sip when I was around 8 and didn't drink coffee again until I was 25.

I love most of Greg's recipes, but evaporated milk? I just can't. Your sauce should not get grainy, btw, if you don't overheat things while you're making it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 2:49 PM

When "Greg" comes up all we hear is desperate, trolling neediness.

And terrible taste in recipes.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 4:53 PM
by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2022 4:54 PM

R19 I've had excellent results using tinned evaporated milk in savoury and cheesy sauces, not so much luck with sweet things. The flavour is almost grassy-cheesy to start with, so a sweet coffee prepared with it sounds utterly revolting!

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2022 6:07 PM

I think of Mother's coffee as "swill" to this very day, r22.

I only drink coffee black. I reflect regularly upon my having been rescued by a small family of gays, one of whom worked at McNulty's. Some events and people stay with you, even nearly 50 years later.

Something else I recall: I was visiting one of them in the 1990s, and I brought home a bag of Starbucks coffee. I had lived in Seattle in the intervening years, and Starbucks was the McNulty's of Seattle, not the conglomerate it was on its way to becoming. My host chided me gently, "You didn't go to McNulty's???"

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 6:30 PM

I have a Canadian question about macaroni and cheese because that isn't something we normally eat here -- no matter what the "transplants" say...

Is it supposed to be creamy and saucy and fall apart or is it supposed to be dry and in a cuttable piece like a lasagne or in the middle? I think I was making the bechamel too thick like it was for pastitsio.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 7:02 PM

I think this is the original recipe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 7:14 PM

I'll stick with Ina's mac and cheese, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2022 7:25 PM

R23 At least she didn't ruin coffee forever for you.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2022 7:29 PM

I've heard evaporated milk produces good macaroni & cheese (Kenji Lopez-Alt does a version).

However, 1/4 teaspoon of hot red pepper sauce. Might as well leave that ingredient out. It sounds like a Joy of Cooking recipe that calls for ridiculously minute quantities of garlic, etc.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2022 7:33 PM

Literal violence!!

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2022 7:37 PM

Agree that salting the water is an absolute must.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2022 7:46 PM

[quote] Don't let the OP fool you, it's John Legend's macaroni & cheese recipe.

Good to know! But it's not true. I don't think I'd be looking to John Legend for a recipe.

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2022 4:44 PM

[quote] Agree that salting the water is an absolute must.

Right, R30!

R7 clearly doesn't know how to cook. Salt is an absolute must. And heavy cream and cheese (including cold pack processed cheese spread)? No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2022 4:47 PM

[quote] I'll stick with Ina's mac and cheese, thanks.

Ina's is good—I've made her recipe before. But evaporated milk results in the creamiest mac & cheese and it works with the egg to make the nicest custard. You should give it a try. Google it if you like—it's not as unusual as you might think.

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2022 4:55 PM

[quote] I've heard evaporated milk produces good macaroni & cheese (Kenji Lopez-Alt does a version).

It does produce a delicious and rich macaroni & cheese. I think people out here may not know what evaporated milk is. I wouldn't share my recipe if it wasn't absolutely delicious.

[quote] However, 1/4 teaspoon of hot red pepper sauce. Might as well leave that ingredient out. It sounds like a Joy of Cooking recipe that calls for ridiculously minute quantities of garlic, etc.

I don't agree, but leave it out if you like.

by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote] I think this is the original recipe. see offsite link on justcookwell.com

Dear R25, no, that is not the original recipe. Just compare the two and you'll see.

It's funny that some people out here think that there's one recipe for Mac & cheese that uses evaporated milk. There are many many recipes that do. It would be like my sharing a recipe for mac & cheese that uses a béchamel sauce and people looking around and saying I copied someone's recipe. So funny.

There are many recipes for mac & cheese made with béchamel and there are many made with evaporated milk. I'm not saying I invented it. What I am saying, however, is that in my many years of making mac & cheese, I have found the recipe I shared to be the most delicious and the most creamy. It also always gets rave reviews.

If you don't want to try it, great. If you do, great. Just sharing something good. Not trying to start a war.

by Anonymousreply 35June 26, 2022 5:02 PM

Greg, I've been cooking long enough at this point to know whether or not a recipe will appeal. Out of all I've made (and that included Oprah's favorite with 7 cheeses), I like Ina's the best. Especially the cheese combo, as I love Gruyere. It has never been grainy.

Another deal killer is 1/2 pound pasta. If I'm going to the work, I prefer a recipe that uses a pound.

by Anonymousreply 36June 26, 2022 8:31 PM

[quote] Greg, I've been cooking long enough at this point to know whether or not a recipe will appeal. Out of all I've made (and that included Oprah's favorite with 7 cheeses), I like Ina's the best. Especially the cheese combo, as I love Gruyere. It has never been grainy. Another deal killer is 1/2 pound pasta. If I'm going to the work, I prefer a recipe that uses a pound.

R36, It's good to know what one likes. I also love aged Gruyere and may try Ina's cheese combination. But I'll likely continue using the egg and evaporated milk method, since I find it such a lovely texture.

A little known fact: if you want to use a pound of pasta in a recipe that calls for just half a pound—simply double the recipe and the size of the pan.

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2022 1:06 PM

Yes, I do know how to double a recipe- thanks. That recipe is not to my taste. Your flaw is no cheese brand recs. So few ingredients, it is vital. Monterey Jack? Store brand, Tillamook?

That's discounting the eggs and evaporated milk because you have grainy bechamel.

I'd suggest Food Talk, an off shoot of Chowhound.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2022 7:51 PM

@greg, please keep the recipes coming; clearly you have been honing your recipes for some time. I appreciate you!

by Anonymousreply 39June 28, 2022 12:40 AM

R39, I'm sure this recipe is a step up from your Kraft Mac and Cheese. Enjoy 😂😂😂.

by Anonymousreply 40June 28, 2022 12:54 AM

Someone please smother Greg in prunes!!!

by Anonymousreply 41June 28, 2022 1:06 AM

R40, I’m sorry you are obsessed with boxed macaroni and cheese. Take your mommy issues and start a new thread, dear.

by Anonymousreply 42June 28, 2022 3:05 AM

Greg brings out the worst in people!

by Anonymousreply 43June 28, 2022 3:07 AM

I'm obsessed with Ina's, dear. You're the one interested in egg and evaporated milk slop.

by Anonymousreply 44June 28, 2022 3:08 AM

OMG. Somebody suffocate this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 45June 28, 2022 3:36 AM

Shouldn’t this be called Macaroni & Cheese Custard?

by Anonymousreply 46June 28, 2022 3:39 AM

You can serve it at afternoon tea- so versatile!

by Anonymousreply 47June 28, 2022 5:32 AM

I have a friend who makes his carbonara with evaporated milk, and I have to say, it is quite delicious. I hadn't heard that bit about stabilization before, but it makes sense. Recipes often talk about being careful not to overheat milk products lest they destabilize (ie curdle).

by Anonymousreply 48June 28, 2022 6:37 AM

Macaroni and Cheese custard, a great name for my fabulous dish. Excuse me, while I finger my bussy. With my ass cheek size, it's hard to get fingers up there.

Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 49June 28, 2022 7:31 AM

Carbonara does NOT need evaporated milk 😱😱😱

by Anonymousreply 50June 28, 2022 7:35 AM

Carbonara does not even have dairy, other than the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 51June 28, 2022 9:32 AM

[quote] Shouldn’t this be called Macaroni & Cheese Custard?

I suppose you could call it that. But the custard is then turned into a cheese sauce, just like a béchamel is turned into a cheese sauce. It would be akin to calling a different version, "macaroni & cheese béchamel"—you could do it, but why?

For your edification: a custard is a cooked mixture made of eggs and milk or cream, having a thick, creamy consistency. This particular custard is made with evaporated milk. Evaporated milk is fresh milk that has been heated so that around 60% of the water content evaporates. The resulting liquid is creamier and thicker than regular whole milk, making it the perfect addition to both sweet and savory dishes.

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote] Carbonara does not even have dairy, other than the cheese.

Very true.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2022 3:35 PM

[quote] Macaroni and Cheese custard, a great name for my fabulous dish. Excuse me, while I finger my bussy. With my ass cheek size, it's hard to get fingers up there.

There will be no calling this "macaroni & cheese custard." And there will be no fingering my bussy.

by Anonymousreply 54June 28, 2022 3:36 PM

The recipe seems good, but I don't like breadcrumbs on macaroni and cheese. I would bake it without the breadcrumbs because I like it crusty on top on its own.

by Anonymousreply 55June 28, 2022 3:45 PM

[quote] I have a friend who makes his carbonara with evaporated milk, and I have to say, it is quite delicious. I hadn't heard that bit about stabilization before, but it makes sense. Recipes often talk about being careful not to overheat milk products lest they destabilize (ie curdle).

I think we've established that carbonara should never include dairy (aside from the Pecorino Romano.

The reason a cheese sauce (aka Mornay sauce) can get grainy, is often due to the addition of cheese while the béchamel is boiling or bubbling. After making a roux (butter/flour) and then adding your milk (to turn the roux into a béchamel sauce), you must add your cheese to the heated mixture slowly and NEVER add the cheese if the béchamel is boiling or bubbling. Adding cheese to a bubbling mixture will cause the cheese to break down and the emulsifiers and coagulants break down when heated thus causing a gritty texture.

To prevent this from happening, remove the hot béchamel from the heat and add the cheese slowly and a little bit at a time. Add some cheese, stir until melted, then add a little more. If the béchamel is too hot, the sauce might curdle or break and the resulting sauce will be grainy.

by Anonymousreply 56June 28, 2022 3:56 PM

[quote] You can serve it at afternoon tea- so versatile!

I would NEVER serve macaroni & cheese at afternoon tea.

by Anonymousreply 57June 28, 2022 3:57 PM

[quote] OMG. Somebody suffocate this bitch.

Which bitch is that, R45?

by Anonymousreply 58June 28, 2022 3:58 PM

[quote] I'm obsessed with Ina's, dear. You're the one interested in egg and evaporated milk slop.

R44, "slop" is hardly what I would call my velvety macaroni & cheese.

by Anonymousreply 59June 28, 2022 4:00 PM

[quote] Greg brings out the worst in people!

I really do!

And just because I don't put tomatoes in my macaroni & cheese like Ina...

by Anonymousreply 60June 28, 2022 4:02 PM

[quote] @greg, please keep the recipes coming; clearly you have been honing your recipes for some time. I appreciate you!

BlueSky, thank you very much!

by Anonymousreply 61June 28, 2022 4:03 PM

Throw dry elbows in a Pyrex baking bowl, fill with milk & cream. add tons of cheeses you like, salt, pepper and slices of butter. cover with foil, voila, delicious macaroni & cheese without all this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 62June 28, 2022 4:10 PM

baking pan, not bowl. I forgot to add, removed the foil and add crushed up ritz crackers on top, let brown. some use breadcrumbs. delicious, no pretense.

by Anonymousreply 63June 28, 2022 4:12 PM

Ina puts tomatoes on top, not in. They can easily be left off.

by Anonymousreply 64June 28, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] Yes, I do know how to double a recipe- thanks. That recipe is not to my taste. Your flaw is no cheese brand recs. So few ingredients, it is vital. Monterey Jack? Store brand, Tillamook? That's discounting the eggs and evaporated milk because you have grainy bechamel. I'd suggest Food Talk, an off shoot of Chowhound.—They'd rip you another prolapsed asshole.

Sorry, no cheese recommendations. I sometimes just use what I have in the refrigerator.

Also, I never have grainy béchamel. I'm not even sure one could have a grainy béchamel. It's the cheese sauce (Mornay) that can become grainy due to the addition of cheese to a bubbling béchamel sauce, causing the cheese to break down. This is an amateur move.

For years I made macaroni & cheese by making a béchamel base for the cheese sauce. And the results are wonderful. But somewhere along the way I read about using evaporated milk and tried and liked it. Let the record show, whenever I make a cheese sauce from béchamel it is never grainy.

Thank you for your concern about my (prolapsed) asshole. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 65June 28, 2022 4:16 PM

Greg, read post #2 where you state bechamel can become grainy.

by Anonymousreply 66June 28, 2022 4:21 PM

I prefer Comté cheese to Gruyere. Maybe I've just had good Comté and bad Gruyere.

by Anonymousreply 67June 28, 2022 4:29 PM

[quote] I forgot to add, removed the foil and add crushed up ritz crackers on top, let brown. some use breadcrumbs. delicious, no pretense.

Hi R63, when I was in my eighth grade home economics class, one of the dishes we learned to prepare was macaroni and cheese that was topped with crushed Ritz crackers that were combined with melted butter and very lightly toasted in a sauté pan until golden. It is very nice! I returned home from school one afternoon in 1980/81 and made it for our family dinner. My father loved it, calling it much better than my mother's macaroni & cheese. My parent's divorced shortly thereafter—but not before I arrived home following another home ec class to prepare a tuna noodle casserole that was also deemed superior to my mothers.

Just kidding—my parents are still happily married.

by Anonymousreply 68June 28, 2022 4:31 PM

[quote] Greg, read post #2 where you state bechamel can become grainy.

Yes. Here are the quotes.

[quote] Instead of making a béchamel sauce (which can often wind up grainy), this recipe uses evaporated milk and eggs to make a custardy and beautifully silky cheese sauce.

[quote] Also, I never have grainy béchamel. I'm not even sure one could have a grainy béchamel. It's the cheese sauce (Mornay) that can become grainy due to the addition of cheese to a bubbling béchamel sauce, causing the cheese to break down. This is an amateur move.

by Anonymousreply 69June 28, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] I prefer Comté cheese to Gruyere. Maybe I've just had good Comté and bad Gruyere.

I like both Comté and Gruyere. The Gruyere must be aged. Although most Gruyere is matured for at least five months, the cheese improves with additional aging. It gets nuttier, sweeter, saltier, and more intense. Like in Parmigiano-Reggiano, a good Gruyere will have tiny white spots throughout the cheese. These little spots are calcium lactate crystals and tyrosine crystals—both are a natural part of the aging process and are deliciously salty.

by Anonymousreply 70June 28, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote] Greg, read post #2 where you state bechamel can become grainy.

R66, I said it can BECOME grainy (with the addition of cheese). I realize this wasn't as clear in R2, but I think you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 71June 28, 2022 4:42 PM

R69, thank you for your help. Truly appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 72June 28, 2022 4:42 PM

I want to try Gordon Ramsay's macaroni & cheese, into which he incorporates cauliflower. Take a look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 28, 2022 4:52 PM

This site compares Ina's and Gordon Ramsay's. Interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 28, 2022 4:53 PM

Doesn’t the evap milk make the whole thing very sweet? Am about to do a cauliflower cheese and was wondering about trying this method.

by Anonymousreply 75June 28, 2022 4:54 PM

[quote]Doesn’t the evap milk make the whole thing very sweet?

Are you thinking of condensed milk, which often has sugar in it?

by Anonymousreply 76June 28, 2022 5:02 PM

[quote] Doesn’t the evap milk make the whole thing very sweet? Am about to do a cauliflower cheese and was wondering about trying this method.

Evaporated milk is not sweet. Like R76 suggested, you are thinking of condensed milk. That would be a horrible mistake to make!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 28, 2022 5:12 PM

R75, definitely try this for your cauliflower cheese. It will turn out beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 78June 28, 2022 5:13 PM

Although "authentic" carbonara does not use cream, (just egg, pasta water and parmesan for the "creamy sauce") there are about a million recipes online for carbonara made with cream - this is more of an American spin on carbonara, and these kinds of recipes are more often to be found in American restaurants when ordering carbonara. I'm linking just one of many:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 28, 2022 9:48 PM

Interesting that Gordon Ramsay rinses the pasta twice with cold water. Never seen that with a baked dish.

by Anonymousreply 80June 28, 2022 9:51 PM

Greg, thanks for the inspiration. I made your recipe, very good, although I didn’t follow it exactly. got me out of my dinner rut, which I appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 81June 28, 2022 10:17 PM

Evaporated milk macaroni and cheese has that awful shelf-stable Parmalat flavor.

Never again.

by Anonymousreply 82June 29, 2022 4:34 AM

Try baby formula , so hard to get and chic. Your dinner guests will be envious!

by Anonymousreply 83June 29, 2022 6:33 AM

Bless your artery clogged heart!

by Anonymousreply 84June 29, 2022 8:13 AM

R80 That foul-mouthed hack adds oil to the pasta water as well. He's never really impressed me.

by Anonymousreply 85June 29, 2022 12:02 PM

[quote] Interesting that Gordon Ramsay rinses the pasta twice with cold water. Never seen that with a baked dish.

He doesn't. I think you might be confusing something in the directions? See this:

[quote] 1. Bring a large pan of well-salted water to the boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for 4–5 minutes until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and [bold] refresh in a bowl of ice-cold water to prevent it from cooking any further. Drain well. [/bold]

[quote] 2. Tip the macaroni into the boiling salted water and cook until al dente, according to packet instructions. [bold] Drain, refresh under cold, running water and drain again. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 86June 29, 2022 1:58 PM

[quote] Try baby formula , so hard to get and chic. Your dinner guests will be envious!

Thanks, R83! I'm always on the lookout for new and chic ways to update old favorites, so I will definitely give this a try!

by Anonymousreply 87June 29, 2022 2:03 PM

Greg, re-read step #2. I think it's an error. Why would you drain and refresh hot pasta?

by Anonymousreply 88June 29, 2022 8:05 PM

Macaroni & Cheese with breast milk is super special.

by Anonymousreply 89June 29, 2022 9:40 PM

Is this Datalounge or Greglounge?

Greg: Seriously, create your own forum and stop siphoning off Muriel's success. You're little more than a gay Trump when it comes to self-promotion at the expense of others. Shame on you.

by Anonymousreply 90June 29, 2022 9:53 PM

Why can’t he share recipes here? Many people like them. At least he’s sharing something of value here.

by Anonymousreply 91June 29, 2022 10:03 PM

I got my stuff and will try it in the next few days. You old hags probably look like old Mama June.

by Anonymousreply 92June 29, 2022 10:13 PM

[quote] Is this Datalounge or Greglounge?

A. It is Datalounge.

[quote] Greg: Seriously, create your own forum and stop siphoning off Muriel's success. You're little more than a gay Trump when it comes to self-promotion at the expense of others. Shame on you.

A. I will ponder this and consider leaving DL.

by Anonymousreply 93June 30, 2022 6:48 PM

[quote] Macaroni & Cheese with breast milk is super special.

I agree. It adds an unexpected sweetness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 30, 2022 6:51 PM

[quote] Greg, re-read step #2. I think it's an error. Why would you drain and refresh hot pasta?

I don't think you can read. Here is step #2 again:

[quote] 2. Tip the macaroni into the boiling salted water and cook until al dente, according to packet instructions. Drain, refresh under cold, running water and drain again.

Here it is in simple language:

Cook the macaroni.

Drain the macaroni.

Refresh the macaroni under cold running water.

Drain again.

You ask:

[quote] Why would you drain and refresh hot pasta?

You drain and refresh hot pasta to stop the cooking. You obviously would not rinse pasta that was being served right away. But with this recipe, the macaroni is being baked in a close to 400 degree oven for 15–20 minutes.

So, why drain and refresh? To STOP the cooking.

by Anonymousreply 95June 30, 2022 6:58 PM

Well, you certainly garnered a readymade audience following for your future ventures, Greg. I envision a channel entitled "Pretentious Entertaining For The Gay Palate," and the accompanying book. All such good fortune for your investing a mere $1.99 per month here.

Remember to express your appreciation to Muriel on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 96June 30, 2022 7:02 PM

[quote] Evaporated milk macaroni and cheese has that awful shelf-stable Parmalat flavor.

Sorry, R82, it doesn't. It tastes delicious. Due to its concentrated nature, evaporated milk is also a great deal creamier and richer than regular milk in flavor and bit thicker in texture.

by Anonymousreply 97June 30, 2022 7:03 PM

r24, it can be either way. depends on how you like it or baked/stovetop.

by Anonymousreply 98June 30, 2022 7:04 PM

Greg, you pull the pasta out a drop pre-al dente, and mix. No need to STOP the cooking. And the rinsing gives the sauce nothing to cling to.

by Anonymousreply 99June 30, 2022 7:04 PM

R96 As the youth are keen on exclaiming: "that's whack".

by Anonymousreply 100June 30, 2022 7:07 PM

[quote] Well, you certainly garnered a readymade audience following for your future ventures, Greg. I envision a channel entitled "Pretentious Entertaining For The Gay Palate," and the accompanying book. All such good fortune for your investing a mere $1.99 per month here. Remember to express your appreciation to Muriel on the way out.

Hey R96, I've finished pondering and I'm not going anywhere. You have made it clear that people like you need someone to attack, so I will stay put and provide many opportunities for people like you to pick on others. I am grateful to Muriel for allowing me this pleasure!

Stay tuned for my Independence Day party. It's going to be my most pretentious roof deck party ever!

xx

by Anonymousreply 101June 30, 2022 7:08 PM

I knew you weren't going anywhere. Poor thing, starved for attention.

by Anonymousreply 102June 30, 2022 7:10 PM

[quote] Greg, you pull the pasta out a drop pre-al dente, and mix. No need to STOP the cooking. And the rinsing gives the sauce nothing to cling to.

Okay, R99. You must be right. Everyone knows that Gordon Ramsay doesn't know shit about cooking!

[bold] ADDENDUM TO GORDON RAMSAY'S MACARONI & CHEESE RECIPE: [/bold]

Do [bold] NOT [/bold] rinse the macaroni.

by Anonymousreply 103June 30, 2022 7:10 PM

[quote] I knew you weren't going anywhere. Poor thing, starved for attention.

You're right.

by Anonymousreply 104June 30, 2022 7:11 PM

I notice in your recipe Greg, you don't rinse the pasta. Don't you want it to STOP cooking, like the fabulous Gordon Ramsey?

by Anonymousreply 105June 30, 2022 7:15 PM

[quote] Is it supposed to be creamy and saucy and fall apart or is it supposed to be dry and in a cuttable piece like a lasagne or in the middle? I think I was making the bechamel too thick like it was for pastitsio.

Like R98 said, it can be either. However, what most people in the US think of when speaking of macaroni & cheese, is something very creamy. Even if you put it in the oven with crumbs on top, it should still be very creamy.

I have heard of it sometimes being something that can be cut into squares, like—as you say—pastitsio, but that isn't what most people think of when thinking of macaroni & cheese.

by Anonymousreply 106June 30, 2022 7:17 PM

Some of us love but Greg's ball but love him. Fuck the rigid, uptight battered queens. But I still think your use of condensed milk is a horrendous sin against my poop canal.

by Anonymousreply 107June 30, 2022 7:19 PM

not sure what happened to that post, as I am R107. love to bust Greg's balls

by Anonymousreply 108June 30, 2022 7:19 PM

[quote] I notice in your recipe Greg, you don't rinse the pasta. Don't you want it to STOP cooking, like the fabulous Gordon Ramsey?

No, because it goes back on the heat immediately. Ramsay's (spelled with an 'a' not an 'e') recipe is different from mine. In mine, butter is added to the hot pasta just as soon as it's drained and then it goes back on low heat.

R88 asked a question and I answered it. Why is that hard to understand? Having a bad day, are you?

by Anonymousreply 109June 30, 2022 7:21 PM

R107/R108 But you clearly haven'tbeen paying attention mate, as Greg, et al. have alteady explained the differences between these two milk products. Evaporated is merely reduced, whilst Condensed is sugared, and quite thick.

by Anonymousreply 110June 30, 2022 7:23 PM

[quote] not sure what happened to that post, as I am [R107]. love to bust Greg's balls

Thanks, R107/R108. I can take it! And if you don't want to try making this recipe, then don't!

I also love making macaroni & cheese with a Mornay sauce. Both are delicious!

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2022 7:25 PM

Oh yeah...I hadn't noticed that R107/R108 said condensed milk. Using sweetened-condensed milk would be an abomination!

by Anonymousreply 112June 30, 2022 7:27 PM

just add cinnamon and vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 113June 30, 2022 7:28 PM

Southerners make the best baked macaroni and cheese. They just do.

Patti Labelle of all people does as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 30, 2022 7:29 PM

Prunes!

by Anonymousreply 115June 30, 2022 7:30 PM

R114 Ms. LaBelle's is the recipe said to be Oprah's all-time favourite. I've made this before, and it does NOT disappoint. She looks great in this vid.

by Anonymousreply 116July 1, 2022 3:11 AM

Its Delilah Winder's recipe, with all those cheeses.i made it once, but forgetting the cheese cost it's 2400 calories a serving.

by Anonymousreply 117July 1, 2022 3:20 AM

Cheers R117, credit where credit is due.

by Anonymousreply 118July 1, 2022 3:26 AM

[quote] Southerners make the best baked macaroni and cheese. They just do.

Yes, R114! Most southern recipes for macaroni & cheese use evaporated milk. I am aware that Patti does not. But if you Google "southern baked macaroni and cheese" you will find the majority are a custard-style that are made with eggs and evaporated milk. I have a good friend from Mississippi and that's exactly how she makes hers. I may give Patti's a try.

by Anonymousreply 119July 1, 2022 1:37 PM

[quote] Prunes!

Thank you for that helpful comment, R115.

by Anonymousreply 120July 1, 2022 1:39 PM

I was the poster who suggested evap was sweet ( no, wasn’t confusing with condensed!)

So I tried this, using the sauce for a cauliflower cheese as I rarely eat pasta.

Having not tasted evap milk since a kid, I wondered if I had misremembered. No- it IS very, very sweet to my ( English) palate and brought back instant ghastly memories of boarding school dinners and tinned fruit salad. Anyway I pressed on, following the instructions to the letter as far as possible.

My verdict is that yes it does produce a sauce with a creamier, silkier texture ( I think the cooking buffs call this ‘mouthfeel’. ) Strangely the sauce did go grainy initially ( mine done the conventional way never does) but I kept stirring over a gentle heat and that resolved. I was half expecting it to curdle into scrambled egg, but it didn’t. Not at that point. It did in the finished dish, however, so not sure what could be done to avoid that.

Not completely unpleasant for a supper dish just for me, but I couldn’t get over the vaguely artificial taste, so will stick with the traditional way I think.

Sorry Greg, but thanks for the suggestion. Always willing to try something different!

by Anonymousreply 121July 2, 2022 6:08 AM

My post just disappeared. Trying again.

I was the poster who suggested evap was sweet. ( no not confusing with condensed! )

Thinking I might have misremembered, I bought some. Nope. It is ( to my English palate) very sweet indeed, and brought back ghastly memories of boarding school and tinned fruit salad.

Anyway, I pressed on following the instructions to the letter, but using the sauce for a cauliflower cheese as I rarely eat pasta.

My verdict is that it does produce a creamy silky texture ( I think the officinados would call this ‘mouthfeel’ ) but I couldn’t get past the vaguely artificial flavour ( admittedly not especially sweet once cheese, mustard powder and hot sauce have been added.)

I was expecting a scrambled egg result to be honest, but while this didn’t happen in the sauce making stage, it did curdle once the dish had been finished in the oven.

Pleasant enough for a supper dish for me, but I think I will stick with the traditional method.

Thanks for the suggestion though! It’s always good to try something different.

by Anonymousreply 122July 2, 2022 6:18 AM

Not as good as my famous Tuna Mustard Casserole with raisins

by Anonymousreply 123July 2, 2022 6:24 AM

Greg- www.foodtalk.com/homecooking. Posters like Kenji, writers from Eater, Nancy. Just don't try to wow them with something from a church cookbook.

by Anonymousreply 124July 2, 2022 8:07 AM

I appreciate the recipes. But no one's getting any until my rights are restored.

by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2022 8:35 AM

I still hate Greg.

by Anonymousreply 126July 2, 2022 3:53 PM

[quote] I still hate Greg.

That is your right. And it doesn't bother me in the least.

by Anonymousreply 127July 2, 2022 4:28 PM

[quote] Greg- www.foodtalk.com/homecooking. Posters like Kenji, writers from Eater, Nancy. Just don't try to wow them with something from a church cookbook.

Thank you, R124. I don't get any of my recipes from church cookbooks. If you are referring to my macaroni & cheese recipe, just Google "Southern Macaroni and Cheese" and you will find many recipes that use the egg/evaporated milk method. I think Cooks Illustrated also recommends it as the best way to make macaroni & cheese.

If you have any other enlightening comments, please feel free to share.

by Anonymousreply 128July 2, 2022 4:31 PM

Thanks, R122!

by Anonymousreply 129July 2, 2022 4:32 PM

Still puking.

Worst narcissist poster since Noodles.

by Anonymousreply 130July 2, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote] Worst narcissist poster since Noodles.

I take that as a compliment! I hope you've stopped puking.

xx

by Anonymousreply 131July 3, 2022 12:04 AM

Macaroni and cheese made with evaporated milk sounds Depression-era depressing.

The most popular brand of evaporated milk, Carnation, is made with disodium phoshate, sodium ascorbate , carrageenan, cholecalciferol....

And the stuff can sit in a can for years.

That's not the kind of food I'm going to serve to myself or friends.

It's trash food.

Use whole fresh milk. Splurge with grass-fed organic if you can. Good butter. High quality pasta. Good cheese.

by Anonymousreply 132July 3, 2022 12:46 AM

Couldn't agree more R132. Evaporated, condensed, whatever it's called (as I was called out for not knowing the difference) it's all trash and I am thankful I'm not an expert on what they are.

by Anonymousreply 133July 3, 2022 12:49 AM

There's a reason it's popular in the South, and with the Black population in particular. Evaporated milk can sit in a pantry and it's cheap for macaroni and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 134July 3, 2022 12:57 AM

ad the Depression which affected all skin colors.

by Anonymousreply 135July 3, 2022 1:44 AM

Well, the Depression hit all of the US as well. Doesn't mean we use evaporated milk 90 years later.

by Anonymousreply 136July 3, 2022 2:38 AM

Okay, okay. But it still tastes delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 3, 2022 1:53 PM

And Alton Brown recommends it as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 3, 2022 1:55 PM

Evaporated milk is simply cow's milk with much of the water removed.

by Anonymousreply 139July 3, 2022 1:56 PM

R139 Evaporated milk is simply cow's milk with much of the water removed, chemicals added, canned, and with a "sell by" date of 2025.

by Anonymousreply 140July 3, 2022 3:23 PM

[quote]There's a reason it's popular in the South, and with the Black population in particular.

Link please, cunty.

by Anonymousreply 141July 4, 2022 9:34 PM

Ask Greg, hunty. And then lick my ass.

by Anonymousreply 142July 6, 2022 6:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!