Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Details on Madonna’s WILL AND GRACE Appearance

Madonna refused to wear the costumes provided for her when she taped an episode of Will & Grace back in 2003, according to executive producer Gary Janetti.

The Queen of Pop appeared on Season 5 of the hit show as part of the promotional campaign for her album American Life. The episode, which drew almost 18 million viewers, was titled “Dolls and Dolls.” In it, Madonna played Liz, Karen’s (Megan Mullally) messy roommate.

Speaking to the “Behind the Velvet Rope with David Yontef” podcast, Janetti recalls: “[She’s] like an executive secretary, the kind of woman who wears her sneakers on the subway and carries her shoes in her bag and goes to a happy hour after work and thinks she’s kind of like, you know, a big deal in her tiny office.”

“So she was supposed to wear, you know, Anne Klein II suits with sneakers and be the kind of woman you’d see on the subway. And Madonna as that is very funny … but Madonna didn’t want to wear any of those clothes.”

Madonna… being difficult… about her wardrobe?? We don’t believe it for a second!

Janetti goes on to say that the singer, who was “at the height of her fame” at the time, brought her own wardrobe and glam team to set.

The producer adds that he wasn’t sure if she had “a particularly good sense of humor” and so he ultimately concluded that asking her to wear her character’s pre-selected wardrobe “wasn’t a conversation that was going to happen.”

“So, she looked fabulous,” he says, “but as a result, it was about 50 percent less funny than it should have been.”

“We even had jokes we had to change because of what Karen said — maybe based on what she was wearing — [because it] didn’t make sense anymore,” Janetti continues. “I mean, she looked like Madonna. She looked like a rich, fabulous celebrity, which wasn’t what the character was.”

“But,” he adds, “she was game when she was on the show, and she was also funny.”

In 2017, while promoting the Will & Grace reboot, Mullally told Jimmy Kimmel that Madonna was easy to work with despite being a little, um, disinterested in her co-stars.

“Madonna was very cool,” she recalled. “I thought she was really nice and really present. She worked really hard and she wasn’t a prima donna.”

“But,” she added, “she didn’t necessarily know our real names in real life because why should she, who cares? Some of the cast were really offended, like, ‘She doesn’t even know my name!’ and I was like, ‘Who cares? Madonna’s doing our show! It doesn’t matter.’”

When asked by Kimmell whether Madonna would be like, “Hi Will, Hi Grace”, Mullally replied: “Yeah, kinda, yeah, yeah, yeah. But in a nice way. She doesn’t need to know our names, for crying out loud. She’s doing our show! Who cares?”

In 2006, Entertainment Weekly ranked Madonna’s guest spot as their number ten most memorable guest appearance on Will & Grace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2022 3:45 PM

lol, Uhm, no, Madonna had "passed" her "height of fame" by the time of that episode airing, I remember the story and that episode about her guest-starring very much from when it first aired. Maybe you could say she was still at the height of being kind of hot-looking (for Madonna, anyhow), but....nope.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2022 12:15 AM

[quote] “So, she looked fabulous,” he says, “but as a result, it was about 50 percent less funny than it should have been.”

I was fantastic in that little shit-com. My best acting EVER!

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2022 12:32 AM

Good goin’ stranger…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2022 12:52 AM

She was past her peak but she was still an untouchable celebrity during this time. She was still current A-list and wasn’t a legacy act yet.

“American Life” was the end of her success and after that, she was officially a legacy act.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 12:57 AM

[quote] “American Life” was the end of her success and after that, she was officially a legacy act.

R4 Not true. Confessions on a Dance Floor, Hard Candy, and even Rebel Heart were successful albums after American Life and generally well received by critics. But after Madame X, not to mention her increasingly disturbing Instagram photo antics, she should definitely ride off into the sunset now.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 1:23 AM

I just remember her acting being really bad. The jokes fell flat.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 1:38 AM

Cher was on first, and her episode was the second highest rated in the shows history.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2022 1:40 AM

I think it's interesting that he didn't even have the balls to ASK her to wear the wardrobe picked out for her character. He just assumed that because she brought her own clothing he couldn't even bring it up. Did he think Madonna would have him fired or killed if he asked her to do something? Ditto for the people who were afraid to correct her when she called them by their character's names. People are way too deferential when it comes to celebrities and it just encourages terrible behavior.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 1:59 AM

I'm assuming Madonna read the script beforehand, so she knew her part, the character and costumes. She chose to ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 2:02 AM

[quote] "The producer adds that he wasn’t sure if she had “a particularly good sense of humor”

Humor is not something with which Madonna has ever been familiar. Ever. If I were making the money Mullally was at the time, I'd probably put up with it for the week or three days she graced the set (no pun intended).

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2022 2:26 AM

It's one of my favorite episodes. She's an office manager at one of those companies that issues music compilations on cd's, records and tapes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2022 3:27 AM

Madonna looked really haggy on her W&G episode. She wasn't very good on it either.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2022 3:34 AM

I thought that ep was pretty funny. The setup was great, Karen trying to figure out how to open the can of coke was verrrrrrry funny.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2022 3:37 AM

The real question about Madonna is how in hell the director of Desperately Seeking Susan got such a good performance out of her. Nobody else has been able to wring from her anything that might pass for acting on a reality TV show.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2022 3:59 AM

There wasn't much acting required for her in DSS. She was just being herself. I wasn't impressed,. The movie doesn't hold up and is not as good as people would like to remember.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2022 4:24 AM

Madonna is generally a terrible actor but I found her appearance on W&G to be surprisingly good, and she was very funny. Regardless of how the writers intended her character to be, she created a rather bizarre and quirky character (an "oddly confident 40-year old secretary", as Karen Walker put it) and I thought she was very funny (when Karen tears her shirt in a fight - "You ripped it. This is everybody's favorite top on me!"). I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority but I loved that episode.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2022 4:38 AM

Disagree, R15. I've seen it twice in the last five years and I still find it charming, and very evocative of the New York of the time. It rests on Rosanna Arquette's performance, but Madonna is every bit the compelling distraction she's meant to be. I do take your point that she was just being herself, but we've seen her several times more recently fail even to do that in a convincing manner on screen.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2022 4:43 AM

That pic is when Madonna's hips disappeared forever.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 4:56 AM

I am not a Madonna fan at all, but she'll always be A list. Very few celebs can say that.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2022 5:09 AM

I was a huge fan when this tired but she was awful. Really disappointing. A chance to show a sense of humour and send herself up but you could just tell Madonna and her entourage took over and catered things to her liking. Even the lighting for her was weird.

I thought Megan was a good sport and carried their scenes together. Just shows what a professional Megan is because she tried to inject those scenes with fun and humour, whereas Madonna was like a cold fish.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2022 5:25 AM

Acting is just not for Madonna, stage, TV or film. Too bad she turned herself into a ghoul, because she could be really be entertaining fans old and new if she just did concerts of her decades of hits.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 5:44 AM

Cher’s whole life and career trajectory must kill her.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 7:57 AM

Yep, she's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2022 8:43 AM

R4 10 million sales of Confessions on a dance floor says otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2022 8:51 AM

M A D O N N A

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2022 9:01 AM

Let’s stop perpetuating the myth that Madonna was good in Desperately Seeking Susan. She was barely passable.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 11:34 AM

In the Will and Grace episode with Madonna, in the very last scene when Karen and Madonna have an exchange of words, what is the last thing Karen says to Madonna just before she storms out and slams the door? I have seen it twice. Each time, Karen says it so fast and slurred I can't make out what she said last. What is it?

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2022 11:41 AM

Sorry, not sorry. I love Madonna in Who's That Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2022 12:18 PM

[quote]what is the last thing Karen says to Madonna just before she storms out and slams the door?

Are you talking about the line “Cut to you, living in a dumpster.” ?

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2022 3:11 PM

Rosanna Arquette was excellent in the couple of WAG episodes she did as Grace's masseuse neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2022 9:13 PM

She is just fucking awful in the clip at R11. Jesus H Christ. She'd have been better off appearing as herself. She just can't act. Was this before or after Swept Away?

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 9:22 PM

how the hell do you remember this?

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 9:26 PM

The worst actress ever.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 9:45 PM

She was also great in Abel Ferrara's Dangerous Game. I don't know how she agreed to not be in control during the filiming of that movie, but Ferrara somehow got her to loosen up. But she couldn't handle it in the long run. When the movie bombed at the box office (did anyone really think a Ferrara movie would be a box office smash?)., she publicly trashed the movie. She just can't handle not being in control

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 10:35 PM

R5, Rebel Fart was a massive flop.

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2022 1:07 AM

Madonna was charming in Who's That Girl and A League of Their Own. Her accent in Who's That Girl is annoying but somehow she is endearing and fun.

But she was beyond horrible in The Next Best Thing and the Will & Grace episode. By 2000, she really had no sense of humour and had become too self-conscious.

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2022 1:25 AM

R35 Rebel Heart was obviously nowhere near her most successful album, but it still sold 1m copies worldwide. Her most successful to date is apparently 1986's True Blue, which sold 25m. Her most recent -- 2019's Madame X -- on the other hand, sold just 169k. Now *that* is a massive flop compared to the rest of her discography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2022 1:26 AM

R37, they didn’t source that properly. There is no proof it sold a million copies. They’re just quoting some random article about her birthday. She has had a hit in a million years.

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote]Rebel Fart was a massive flop

Wow, that R35 sure is one clever gal. She took the word Heart and replaced it with the rhyming word Fart to express her discontent. Pure genius, the likes of which have never been seen before!

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2022 2:08 AM

R35 / R38 Whatever Mary. She's sold 181.2 million certified music units to date, 64.5 million albums, and so far is still recognized as the world's best-selling female recording artist of all time.

I'm not a Madonna stan. Without question, Rebel Heart underperformed most of her prior albums. But her career impact speaks for itself. Meanwhile, what's your claim to fame? Turning Rebel Heart into Rebel "Fart" as R39 points out? Groundbreaking. 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2022 2:24 AM

I always wondered in this episode why she closed her eyes every time she said her lines.

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2022 4:55 AM

R40, not a stan? We know how many records she has sold. She's ruining her legacy just like MJ, minus the pedophilia. Unless you count her boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2022 5:59 AM

Whose idea was the cheap wig?

I miss Karen Walker...

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2022 6:47 AM

The wig was fucking awful

by Anonymousreply 44June 25, 2022 9:14 AM

R29 What Karen says is the last line in the entire show. Karen says it as she storms out of the room and then the show is over. It is said so fast (and not very clearly), so I have never heard what is said.

by Anonymousreply 45June 25, 2022 12:37 PM

R37, she sold 169k of Madame X. Holy shit, that is bad. Shows how little interest anyone has in her. 25k in Italy. 60K in UK. Who is actually buying her music anymore other than completists.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2022 6:19 PM

Isn't her biggest album sales success The Immaculate Best of album?

by Anonymousreply 47June 25, 2022 6:22 PM

R47, yes and rightly so. I don't get the love people have for Confessions. It relied on that ABBA sample for the lead single's success. I Love New York is one of the most embarrassing songs she's ever recorded- worse than Hanky Panky. Jump was basic AF. That Isaac song, meh.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2022 6:26 PM

I remember a simpler time when Rosie was funny and Madonna was relevant.

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2022 6:34 PM

Madonn'a comedy timing was even worse than Brad Pitt's when he appeared on Friends. But I did like "cut to me", "this is everyone's favorite top" and Karen's "I rented a video".

by Anonymousreply 50June 25, 2022 6:39 PM

Madonna based her character on Gwyneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 51June 25, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote] I always wondered in this episode why she closed her eyes every time she said her lines.

This is one of the reasons she is deemed such a horrible actress. It's very distracting. For someone who is supposedly very confident, it shows insecurity acting on screen. Even in a good performance like Dangerous Game, she blinks repeatedly and it distracts from her otherwise good performance. Once you notice the blinking, it becomes distracting.

by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote]Madonna based her character on Gwyneth Paltrow.

That would have been funny--if Madonna could act.

by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2022 6:58 PM

I remember it being not particularly funny.

I do recall when Karen said, “Look! I’m using the internet”

by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2022 8:04 PM

The funniest part was that Karen didn’t even know she owned that building. Her face got all perked up when Madonna said “make that check out to Walker Property Management”.

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2022 9:35 PM

[quote]She's ruining her legacy just like MJ, minus the pedophilia.

She IS a pedophile.

There’s also that passage in her Sex book about loving sex with the young and how she slept with a boy with no pubic hair - a baby. She is one sick fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 26, 2022 1:43 AM

Janbot, go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 57June 26, 2022 2:25 AM

I thought the funniest part was when Karen didn't know what a can of soda was. She was just running comedy rings around Madonna without even saying a word.

by Anonymousreply 58June 26, 2022 3:39 PM

R45 see R29

by Anonymousreply 59June 26, 2022 3:42 PM

"Jump was basic AF"

R48 Let's speak like adults

by Anonymousreply 60June 26, 2022 3:43 PM

well, you'd have to be a grandpa to remember w&g.

by Anonymousreply 61June 26, 2022 3:45 PM

Oh Liz, I love when you do cut to me!

by Anonymousreply 62June 26, 2022 4:19 PM

I would have gone with shart.

by Anonymousreply 63June 27, 2022 8:05 AM

She couldn’t act to save her life. Too up herself and convinced of her superiority.

by Anonymousreply 64June 27, 2022 8:10 AM

The blinking. Oh god, the blinking.

by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2022 3:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!