Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kelly Bishop

She seems to be a DL favorite, but I haven't found a thread dedicated to her.

Born into an upper class Denver family, Bishop trained to be a ballet dancer.

She was a ballet dancer at Radio City Music Hall until she got her big break as Shelia in 1975's A Chorus Line. Bishop won the Tony Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Soon, famous stage roles followed- Macbeth, Hamlet, Company, Six Degrees of Separation, Salome, The Importance of Being Earnest, Proposals, The Last Night of Ballyhoo, On the Town, M Butterfly, Anything Goes, and Bus Stop.

Her films roles included An Unmarried Woman, O'Hara's Wife, Solarbabies, Queens Logic, Dirty Dancing, Six Degrees of Separation, Miami Rhapsody, Cafe Society, Private Parts, Wonder Boys, and Friends with Kids.

Her main or recurring television roles include The Thorns, Law & Order, My Wildest Dreams, Law & Order: SVU, Bunheads, The Good Wife, The Marvelous Ms. Maisel, Halston, and, of course Gilmore Girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2022 3:04 AM

Is she Linda Lavin's sister?

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 8:24 PM

She's always good, but I nevertheless thought of her (especially on Gilmore Girls) as a WASP-y knockoff of Jessica Walter.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 8:27 PM

R2 Gilmore Girls premiered BEFORE Arrested Development though.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 8:37 PM

It did, R3, but Walter was hardly new to playing difficult women.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 8:42 PM

R2/R4 So was Susan Sullivan, Dixie Carter, Marlo Thomas, and Kathryn Joosten

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 8:55 PM

Wasn't she in the chorus of the original production of Promises? I think she was out of Radio City for years and a Broadway gypsy by the time of ACL.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 9:00 PM

She's a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 9:03 PM

Yes, [r6]! You can see her in the Tony clip of ‘Turkey Lurkey Time’ wearing a black suit with a white shirt. And her neck is obviously sore, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 9:09 PM

Brilliant in ACL and very good in Gilmore Girls. Very meh in everything else. Until GG, she was something of a one hit wonder, but Sheila Bryant and Emily Gilmore are very similar. Was married to the late Lee Leonard who used to host a talk show on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 9:14 PM

She claimed she and Pam Sousa were the best dancers on Broadway. Ego was not an issue with her.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 9:15 PM

I liked the in -joke in Dirty Dancing when "Baby" surprises her family with her dance number at the end, and Emily (playing Baby's mother) says to Jerry Ohrbach "She gets it from me."

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 9:34 PM

Me, too, girl.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 9:36 PM

I think she could have played a very good Bette Davis in an earlier time. Or, perhaps Bette in The Watcher in the Woods era at later one.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 9:37 PM

"I hope Martin's pecker falls off, and he gets a permanent case of the clap."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 9:40 PM

She is hilarious

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 11:07 PM

Kelly Bishop

Original cast member of "A Chorus Line"

co-starred in the cult classic "Dirty Dancing"

Member of the "Gilmore Girls" cast, fan favorite

How lucky can you get? She has had a great career.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 11:09 PM

She was the best thing about GILMORE GIRLS.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 11:09 PM

R17 I remember when Gilmore Girls first premiered. It was a pleasant surprise when the door opens up to their mansion and you see it is the one and only Kelly Bishop

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 11:12 PM

She comes from that generation where you could be a successful stage actor and still make good money- Jerry Orbach, Joel Gray, Ann Reinking, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 11:15 PM

I always wanted to see Kelly & Carole Mallory play sisters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 11:28 PM

Meh. She’s no Priscilla Lopez.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 1:34 AM

I've never seen her in anything other than Gilmore Girls but she's brilliant in that

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 1:36 AM

Reinking never made big money in theater. She made her big money by fucking Herb Allen.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2022 1:38 AM

Carole, OP...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2022 1:42 AM

This thread has clued me into a joke I never clued into in GG. It’s an episode where the three Gilmore women are at a hotel. They’ve of course had some argument and in the very last scene Emily comes to Lorelei and Rory’s room, where they are watching The Pursuit of Happyness. Emily comments about Will Smith being cute…I didn’t realize Kelly Bishop had been in Six Degrees of Separation (never seen it). The more you know…

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2022 1:48 AM

Priscilla and Kelly...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 1:53 AM

R25, it not much of a joke...if it even is one.

Will Smith never appeared in the play. Bishop only appears in the film for a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2022 1:33 PM

I guess I was being generous in my phrasing there…or attributing more creativity to Amy Sherman-Paladino than is warranted.

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2022 3:01 AM

I would love to see her as Lady Macbeth

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2022 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!