Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Traditional Japanese bedding

Have you ever slept in one? Are they comfortable?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 10:11 PM

I was in a homestay in Nagoya for two weeks when I was fifteen, and stayed in their traditional Japanese room (I guess they were rich enough to have one?)

It’s so uncomfortable at first, but the trick is to completely relax and sink into sleep. Once you figure that out, it’s the most amazing sleep you’ll ever have, I swear. It’s like how drunks don’t injure themselves as much when they fall because they’re floppy… or something.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 9:36 AM

The futon in OP’s photo looks a lot thicker than the one I slept on. Traditional ones are really the thickness of a couple of duvets.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 9:38 AM

I don’t wanna sleep that close to the floor. Do any of the beds sit up higher?

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 9:41 AM

I slept like this throughout my teens and early twenties. To me, it was perfect. I love hard bedding. Now, in my forties, not so much. Things are starting to hurt and I bought a softer bed (still the hardest mattress they had, though.) Miss sleeping close to the floor though but it's a question of habit, R3 - and getting up from a low position is harder as you age.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 9:43 AM

I just got a new mattress, R4, and it’s a medium (not firm) Simba, on a frame that’s off the floor. This after futons, road mattresses, what have you. I fucking love it!!

As a perpetual insomniac, I still like the feeling of having to surrender into relaxation and sleep that you get from a traditional futon (with each breath out you have to sink lower and relax more), but I’m 52 now, and also suffered a spinal cord injury a couple of years ago (from severe “precocious” arthritis of the cervical spine that doctors didn’t take seriously until it was too late) that makes getting up off the floor - or, indeed, walking - not as easy as once it was (O, sweet Youth!!! 😩)

So, yes - futons *can* be really comfortable, but it takes a real adjustment of your mindset: a cessation of struggle against discomfort… which is very Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 10:20 AM

I slept on a futon when I first got my own place. Had it for about two years.

Does that count?

I wouldn’t want to sleep so close to the floor now. I’m older and I like being comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 10:22 AM

How do Japanese oldsters sleep on the floor? More importantly, how do they get to their feet when they wake?

Seems like a Western bed would be a kindness to them.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 10:35 AM

I really love that they’ll have an elaborate duvet, but with a *reverse* fitted sheet; like, the sheet part is underneath to protect the quilt, with the elastic bits on the outside. It’s very sensible!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 10:36 AM

That's the usual type of duvet sheet in Europe, R8. Don't know about Asia.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 10:38 AM

[quote] How do Japanese oldsters sleep on the floor? More importantly, how do they get to their feet when they wake?

Their short. They live in short worlds. I am a 6'3" Eldergay, and if I am ever on the floor it is by accident.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 10:43 AM

I didn’t know that, R9! My family’s English; we just had the typical total duvet cover that gets washed. :)

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 10:45 AM

Wait, is OP seriously asking about futons as if that wasn't a huge trend in the 80s and 90s in the US?

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 10:48 AM

I wouldn't like sleeping down where the creepy-crawlies live.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 11:00 AM

OP - Most of the obese queens on DL could never get that low let alone get back up again. That would be their death bed.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 11:38 AM

R12 - I lived through the 80s/90s; what we called “futons” (an extremely thick duvet on an adjustible pine frame) had little to do with actual Japanese bedding.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 11:43 AM

Srsly, R13… do they even have giant house spiders in Japan?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 11:56 AM

The first time I went to Japan, about ten years ago, I was astonished at how well I slept in those traditional rooms. I still think longingly of the place in Kyoto where I slept better than I had in years.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 12:49 PM

[quote] They're short. They live in short worlds. I am a 6'3" Eldergay, and if I am ever on the floor it is by accident.

Some people might be surprised that the average height is still relatively tall! According to Japan's National Health and Nutrition Survey, the average height was still only 160.3cm (5'2”) for men and 148.9cm (4'9”) for women – that's an increase of about 10 centimeters in the span of almost 70 years.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 1:49 PM

R10

I've had a few rough days. Your "if I am ever on the floor it is by accident." comment made me laugh out loud. (Funny AND true.)

Thank you so much.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 2:08 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 6:20 PM

Nothing traditional.about that photo. It looks like a mattress on tatami. Meant for gaijin I suppose.

Traditional Japanese bedding is, as said, duvet-like. During the day it's folded away in a cupboard, so the room can be used otherwise. That's the point.

Sleeping on a heated floor in Korea is a lot more comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 6:37 PM

[quote] The first time I went to Japan, about ten years ago, I was astonished at how well I slept in those traditional rooms. I still think longingly of the place in Kyoto where I slept better than I had in years.

Oh honey, no. They drugged your ass. Didn't you see Hostel?!

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 10:09 PM

[quote] do they even have giant house spiders in Japan?! —they’re my greatest fear!

We know where you live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 10:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!