Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If Pope Francis resigns

Would Pope Benedict automatically become Pope again. There can't be two former Popes can there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2022 3:49 PM

Why not, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 2:00 AM

You can never have too many popes!

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 2:03 AM

[quote] Would Pope Benedict automatically become Pope again.

No. With key is needed to elect a pope.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 2:04 AM

Would Pope Francis and Pope Benedict shack up together in retirement?

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 2:17 AM

[quote] Would Pope Francis and Pope Benedict shack up together in retirement?

Not if I have anything to do with it!

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 2:18 AM

[quote]Would Pope Francis and Pope Benedict shack up together in retirement?

They can share an isolated cottage in Vatican City where they can engage in some naughty role play. One will get dolled up in papal gowns, while the other dons demure altar boy drag. They can swap roles when they need to spice up their lovemaking.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 2:25 AM

Does Benny still cosplay Cardinal Richelieu, with his ermine capelet, jewels, and red Prada slippers? If so, Francis is not into that. I don't think they would be compatible roommates.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 2:26 AM

If there are two ex-popes, the next pope selected has to be homosexual.

Which, considering the Catholic hierarchy today, narrows that down to about half a million candidates.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 2:31 AM

[quote]There can't be two former Popes can there?

Why not?

It's just a stupid cult, anyway. All of it is made up.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 2:31 AM

r7 So it'd make for great tv is what you're saying?

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 2:31 AM

This scares the shit out of me. Old people are just sticking around nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 2:32 AM

Has Pope Francis chosen his post-retirement houseboy yet?

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 2:32 AM

As a former Catholic, I agree with R9. I thought it was bullshit--and suspiciously, inadequately explained BS at that -- when Ratzi resigned, which was unprecedented in modern history, to my recollection. Having a *second* pope resign, the successor to the first one, shows the church up as the illegitimate institution that it is. They're just making it up as they go along now.

On the upside, they'd have a new opportunity (which they'll squander) to clean house of all the pedophile apologists.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 2:42 AM

I detest the Catholic Church, it is just a horribly abusive institution on all levels, but I don't see what it matters if there are two retired popes one or both of them will be dead soon anyway. It sucks to get old and to still have responsibilities, plus fresh blood might make things less horrible. Doubtful but I also doubt it could get any worse.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 2:53 AM

I'm a majorly lapsed Catholic so I don't get up with any church news BUT how the fuck is Benedict (aka the Evil Emperor from Star Wars) still alive? He's got be like 150 by now?!

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 3:10 AM

r15 95 so one year younger than certain Heads of the Church of England who refuse to croak.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 3:24 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 3:43 AM

R14, it's always been a lifetime appointment, since basically he's chosen by God through the College of Cardinals. It's not a job you're supposed to retire from. But of course, what we all understood growing up as ironclad tradition has been set aside for mysterious reasons, first for Benedict and now for his successor, if rumor is correct.

I'm not very familiar with canonical law or whatever it is that applies here; I'm just talking about the way the office of the pope has been presented to us all along within living memory.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 4:40 AM

I'm sure Francis would only resign if he feels his health no longer allows him to carry out his responsibilities and he got the go ahead from the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 4:55 AM

He has "mobility issues" just like that other famous nonagenarian.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 8:55 AM

[quote] it's always been a lifetime appointment,

Yeah and people use to almost never live much after 60 with longer life spans things need to change with all lifetime appointments. I am looking at you Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 1:33 PM

Real Popes of Vatican City.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 2:24 PM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 2:39 PM

After reading this thread, I did a little update on Pope emeritus Benedict, and up until fairly recently, he seems to have been reported on. As he is 95, I wonder how his mental health is. Would he have been able to function as a pope had he not resigned?

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 2:44 PM

The Real Houseboys of Vatican City.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 3:32 PM

It goes to Miss Congeniality, which despite the wardrobe is not Cardinal Burke.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 3:42 PM

Don’t old people ever die anymore? It is a fucking nightmare to have to wait until they are in their mid- or -late 90s for a professional spot (eg monarch) or an inheritance be available, Jesus Christ.

It used to be a big deal to live to your 90s, and now it is pretty common. What the fuck???

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 4:16 PM

Look on the bright side. The super rich old people will keep all the lifetime positions (monarch, congress, etc) and young people will still have to pay for the millions of poor old people. For the rest of our lives. Then we can all just burn in hell.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 4:21 PM

R27 = Prince Charles

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote]If Pope Francis resigns

Canapes in the Sistine!

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 5:15 PM

Benny's latest photos reveal that he's at the foot of the Rainbow Bridge already. Won't be with us for much longer. I call dibs on Georg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 5:55 PM

Wow, he looks nothing like before. Why are his hands so enormous--forced perspective?

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 6:09 PM

He is still fabulously elegant, though!

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2022 6:22 PM

Jude Law did a pretty good job as Pope Lenny.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2022 6:26 PM

WTH, Benedict XVI looks like an aged MTF at R31. Jaunty hat, long dress, big scarf, luxurious coat.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2022 6:29 PM

[quote]This scares the shit out of me. Old people are just sticking around nowadays.

I think Benedict set a precedent that Francis is going to solidify, so no one is going to be sticking around. Charles will hopefully set the same precedent when he becomes king.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2022 6:32 PM

We love the dress, dahling, but for fuck's sake, put that damn fire out in your purse!

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2022 7:59 PM

I agree, r36. Francis wants to create the precedent of retiring, which is a very good thing. If he doesn't retire, it will seem as if Benedict is an anomaly. If he does retire, it will make it acceptable, and advisable, for subsequent popes to do the same. That said, the Church is dead to me due to its complete inability to rein in the nutjobs in the American church. That includes Francis.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2022 8:11 PM

A group of popes is called a popepourri.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2022 8:13 PM

I guess you could say that Benedict was too pooped to pope.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2022 8:17 PM

[quote] There can't be two former Popes can there?

You're correct: there can only ever be one former pope at a time.

The rule is that the two of them will have to fight it out to the death with sharpened pool cues in a special gladiatorial pit held over from ancient Roman days hidden under the crypt of St. Peter's Basilica. It's a pain, though, because they will have to convene the entire College of Cardinals to witness it.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2022 8:21 PM

r41, that's wrong and you know it. Canon law decrees that designated houseboys fight it out on behalf of the popes. That's why it's so important that Francis choose wisely.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2022 8:24 PM

When a pope bumps into an anti-pope a world shattering explosion occurs.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 8:24 PM

I'm also afraid Cardinal Sarah, who is very thin, will be the next pope as Francey has grown very fat. And the rule is: Fat pope, skinny pope, fat pope, skinny pope.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2022 8:26 PM

A black pope, R44? I think not at this precise historical moment.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2022 8:31 PM

^ Cardinal Sarah is very right wing. And unlike Cardinal Burke has held important positions in the Vatican and is very intelligent. Really, the only thing against him is that he is old. Francey removed him from the chief liturgical position on the basis of age after he made the insane statement that every Catholic altar in the world should be returned to the wall and all masse should be said with the priest's back to the people. To be accomplished within months of his degree.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2022 9:37 PM

Pope Francis is a good guy, I hope he lives at least as long Benedict and remains Pope.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2022 10:08 PM

During a meeting with Brazilian bishops at the Vatican, Francis, 85, said he would carry on in the job “as long as God allows it”, adding: “And that’s it.”

His comments, made on Monday, were reported by Archbishop Paloschi of Porto Velho, who said Francis told him “what is coming out in the press has not crossed his mind”.

He is frail though.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2022 10:08 PM

I know, R46, Sarah is mega conservative and also instrumental in the RCC's expansion in Africa - the only place it's still expanding, really.

Still, HE may be retrograde but the right-wingers in the Church surely don't recognize him as one of their own - simply because he's a Black non-European. Something like Milo Yannopolous for the MAGATs - he shills for them but they'll never recognise him as their equal.

No, I predict the next Pope will be a very conservative Italian, probably Parolin, Sepe or even youngster Poletto. Probably too far-fetched to hope for my fave Tarcisio Bertone but who knows...

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2022 10:10 PM

It's great to see a recent photo of Pope Benedict, he looks quite different from 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2022 2:25 PM

K so I have this sorta right wing trad-cath friend who believes in sedevacantism. Apparently Pope Francis and others before him have made heretical statements and actions, which causes a sect to believe that they are infiltrators sent by illuminati, jews, templars, etc. The ideology is used to explain all the child molestation as well (the church officials who hid abuse or performed abuse aren't really catholic). It is batshit crazy but it's sorta interesting, and otherwise my friend is a normal functioning person.

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2022 2:39 PM

Part at Europa Multiclub. The gay bath house on Vatican grounds and building owned by Catholic Church.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2022 3:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!