Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida becoming a Deep Red State

Florida Voter Registration Advantage

2008: Democrats +694,147

2012: Democrats +558,272

2016: Democrats +490,705

2018: Democrats +257,175

2020: Democrats +134,142

TODAY: Republicans +175,911

✅ Net Gain Since 2008: GOP +870,058

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2022 12:13 AM

Florida has grown in population quickly and continues to grow. So is that part of it. It's more and more Republican retirees and other people who moved there. Or has there been a big shift even among people who have lived there for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2022 12:09 AM

It imports hundreds of thousands of people a year from the most Republican demographic (55+ whites), primarily from the most Republican region of the country (the Midwest) bar the region it's already a part of (the South).

How else do you think things were going to work out for them?

Florida was closer in the past because older voters were not as solidly GOP. Boomers are more conservative than their parents, who largely came of age in the New Deal era. (Prior to 2008, older voters were conventionally considered a Democratic demographic; analysts explained it as a Social Security and Medicare thing, but now we see that it was mainly a cohort effect.) The current state of American politics, from Reagan on, can essentially be boiled down to the fact that there are a lot of Boomers, that they like voting for Republicans, and that they are distributed across the country in a more electorally advantageous way than younger generations (who tend to cluster in a few very large cities).

DLers can be triggered all they want, but those are the data.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 12:18 AM

Advice from a...conservative:

1. Stop using/ referring to Latinos as Latinx. 98% of Latinos hate the term and Florida is a haven for Cubans and other Hispanic peoples.

2. Stop with the tranny bullshit. No explanation needed.

3. Stop trying to introduce SEX education at earlier and earlier ages. It has it's place, but not earlier than 6th grade or so.

4. Stop with the CRT shit. Treatment of blacks needs to be addressed, but this whole idea of whites NOW carry the burden of the Original Sin of slavery is just ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 12:19 AM

I'd agree with all of R3's points except CRT. CRT is still rare in anything other than college electives. I'm not saying there's no CRT other than that, but 98% of what is being dubbed CRT is simply basic stuff that was always taught - e.g., slavery was generally a difficult and awful existence, barriers were erected to deprive black people of voting - that people don't want taught anymore. Anything that involves race that conservatives don't want taught is dubbed CRT.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 12:26 AM

R4 If that's true, that's a shame and it needs to be rectified.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 12:54 AM

Probably lots of people from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina moving to Florida.

That would explain the rise in Republican ranks.

The above states are poverty stricken.

Florida has better weather and more jobs.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 12:59 AM

[quote] Advice from a...conservative: 1. Stop using/ referring to Latinos as Latinx. 98% of Latinos hate the term and Florida is a haven for Cubans and other Hispanic peoples. 2. Stop with the tranny bullshit. No explanation needed. 3. Stop trying to introduce SEX education at earlier and earlier ages. It has it's place, but not earlier than 6th grade or so. 4. Stop with the CRT shit. Treatment of blacks needs to be addressed, but this whole idea of whites NOW carry the burden of the Original Sin of slavery is just ludicrous.

Advice from those of us who are literate and sane:

Stop repeating Republican bullshit.

If Republicans could win election based upon votes. They would not cheat.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 1:36 AM

[Quote] If Republicans could win election based upon votes. They would not cheat.

Very true but if Repigs "cheat" then what are the rest of non-repigs doing about that? So far NOTHING!

Oh and Wall Street is raping us and corps and foreigner buyer are buying up all the real estate!

What are non-repigs doing?

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 2:02 AM

Thanks Andrew Gillum

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 2:22 AM

It's a worthless, shithole state. Who gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 2:25 AM

^probably all the people in blue states who lose congressional seats and electoral votes to FL?

maybe you, because you bothered to be bothered?

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 2:28 AM

Yeah, well 2 visits were enough to last me a lifetime. It should break off and fall into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 2:31 AM

R3. Interesting that your list consists entirely of things that have very little effect on the vast majority of Americans or aren’t actually happening or both.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 3:07 AM

R13, you mean most people don't have kids? Or that there aren't many Hispanics?

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 3:09 AM

There are lots of Hispanics and children. What of any significance are democrats doing against them?

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 6:31 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 10:57 AM

R2 is correct. Baby boomers are a right wing demographic. They are the generation raised on tv and trust tv so they turn on Fox News all day and watch it til their brain seeps out of their ears.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 11:02 AM

I was recently in Florida. Almost every older Floridian I spoke to had come from New York or New Jersey. You guys keep thinking Florida is turning red because of people moving there from other southern states and (wtf?!?!?) the midwest. Take some ownership of your own deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 11:16 AM

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I love it here. I’d you don’t like it, don’t come.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 11:26 AM

I think Fox News and Rush Limbaugh had a lot to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 11:29 AM

People forget all the Republic governers and senators from the Northeast in the 80s and 90s

George Pataki, Al D’Amato, Giuliani in New York

Tom Ridge, Arlen Spector and Rick Santorum in Pennsylvania

Those voters moved to Florida

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 11:47 AM

Yep, Northerners have moved to Florida

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 11:49 AM

And Trump himself is a lifelong New York babyboomer who moved to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 11:53 AM

r18 was either in Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach County... possibly Hillsborough (Tampa). You wont find New Yorkers in the other 63 counties of Florida.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 11:59 AM

And the Democratic Party in Florida is incompetent and reckless. I’m looking at you Andrew Gillum

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 12:02 PM

Florida has changed because the demographics have changed. Most of the people moving here are from New York, New Jersey and other New England states but they are not democratic voters making there way here.

We also have a lot of first generation immigrants and various other immigrant groups that vote conservatively.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 12:05 PM

Precisely. Conservatives from blue states are voting with their feet, moving South to make Florida in particular redder. They have also halted NC’s progression from becoming a light blue purple state.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 12:07 PM

They are also making it hard to turn Texas purple and keeping Arizona a tough state to win

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 12:09 PM

Much of the west coast of Florida is Ohio and Michigan migrants. And not the Cleveland/Detroit liberal types.

Andrew Gillum might have been a Republican plant to keep the very decent Gwen Graham from getting her father's job. And/or, the Florida Democratic Party is an absolute clowncar even in the face of the Florida Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 12:11 PM

R24, I was in Ft. Lauderdale and really enjoyed the vibe there. But, if people get triggered by Trump signs and Trump flags, you may want to avoid Florida all together.

I bought into the belief that Texas was on the edge of turning purple, but I think that's been pissed away.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 12:19 PM

R24 post is probably the dumbest thing i have ever read about Florida

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 12:31 PM

The I 95 corridor from the top of the state to about Canaveral is like a quarter New York region transplants

They like it because it’s warm but not tropical and less vulnerable to hurricanes

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 12:34 PM

Democrats really need to stop saying “Latinx.”

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2022 12:41 PM

The Villages is a concentrated microcosm of the state as a (w)hole.

And Trump and DeSantis are worshipped there.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2022 12:45 PM

R1 - Most Florida elections are decided in the primaries. Sooooooooooo.... you have to be registered as a Republican to vote in the republican primaries whether you are really a Republican. My hubby is a "die hard lifelong Labor" Democrat but he is registered as a Republican to be able to vote in the Republican primaries where many (if not all) state and local elections are decoded.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2022 12:46 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2022 12:46 PM

The Villages is midwestern transplants

Rule of thumb = I95 is Northeasterners, I75 is Midwesterners

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2022 1:04 PM

Rule of thumb - who fucking cares?

If Dems want to win, appeal to the people.

THE fucking END

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2022 12:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!