Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American Airlines to Ithaca NY, Dubuque IOWA, and Toledo Ohio: GO FUCK YOURSELVES!

American Airlines will cut service to four cities because of a pilot shortage.

As of Sept. 7, the airline will no longer serve Islip or Ithaca in New York; Toledo, Ohio; or Dubuque, Iowa.

All four cities are currently served by AA's regional affiliates and have up to two daily flights to larger hubs.

"We have 100 regional aircraft on the ground that we want to fly but can’t due to lack of regional pilots," American Airlines spokesperson Brian Metham said in a statement. "Like many network carriers, we have reduced our regional flying in recent months in response to the regional pilot shortage."

American will continue serving other airports less than 100 miles from each of the four cities that are losing service. The airline said it is taking other steps, including boosting regional pilot pay rates, to make its operation more reliable this summer.

Pilots, however, worry that these cuts are just a sign of things to come.

"If you look at the deal they (American) sent to the wholly owned, the regional pilots, that's for two years," said Dennis Tajer, spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, which represents American's aviators, referring to the higher pay rates American's affiliates will offer their pilots. "They think they're going to have issues for two years. That's what that tells us."

Tajer, who is also an active 737 pilot at the airline, said the men and women on the flight deck are just as frustrated as passengers by the airline's issues this summer.

"You sold tickets in the spring that you knew you wouldn't be able to fulfill this summer," he said, adding that so far in June, over 600,000 American passengers have been affected by cancellations and delays citing internal company data.

The pilot shortage has been an industrywide issue and comes as summer travel demand is starting to surge. The Transportation Security Administration screened more than 2.4 million people Friday, the highest tally since November 2021.

Meanwhile, pilot unions at Delta, American and Southwest have said airlines haven’t been able to refill positions left by pilots who retired or took leaves of absence during the pandemic. The staffing issues are one of the reasons travelers faced thousands of airline cancellations and delays this past weekend, according to James Ferrara, co-founder and president of global host travel agency InteleTravel.

American Airlines' move follows Delta Air Lines' announcement last month that it would cut daily flights this summer as travel demand heats up. The airline cut 100 daily flights between July 1 and August 7 to “improve operational reliability” for customers and employees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 12:26 PM

I don't know her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 10:22 PM

Great headline, OP!!

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 10:22 PM

Ugh.

Dubuque and Toledo appear to have no other service besides American. Driving 100 miles in the winter for those people is going to be rough.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 10:41 PM

Strange that they would cut off Ithaca, NY.

It's the home of Cornell University. There are tons of students who would be going to that destination.

If AA is the only airline going there, then what the fuck with the faculty and students do?

Is there a nearby airport?

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 10:44 PM

R4, why would students be flying there? They live there. If you’re a new student from bumbfuck, you travel by train.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 10:47 PM

Were you born in 1900, R5?

People attend universities from all over the world.

It's no longer just a drive or a "train ride," grandma.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 10:49 PM

They should probably pay more and not have ended mask mandates if they would like airline workers of any level.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 10:49 PM

United serves Ithaca as well R4. They will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 10:50 PM

Faculty fly, as do the local middle class.

Toledo's air service comes and goes--I flew United there once. Detroit (hub for Delta) is an hour away from most of Toledo.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 10:50 PM

Smart pilots. Who wants to fly to these shit holes

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 10:55 PM

I guess there aren't enough pilots tall enough to see over the dashboard.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 10:56 PM

Pete will handle it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 11:22 PM

The only thing Pete could do (if he has authority over the FAA - I have no idea), is to allow larger planes be flown with a single pilot. Right now, the limit is 19 passengers I believe. If they allowed 50 and lower (CRJs) then it would significantly help the shortage.

I do not know how the every day pilot feels about that. CRJs frequently fly “long” flights (1-2 hours), so if a pilot became incapacitated it would be bad. I don’t know how often that happens (probably very infrequently) but still.

The other option is to lower the flight hours for a pilot to qualify for a commercial license. I know pilots who always point to this (as their would be an experienced pilot in the captain’s chair), but I’m not thrilled with this option really.

Being a pilot is expensive and time consuming, even for a recreational license. Lowering the hours is not going to cause a flood of people to take up the profession.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 11:35 PM

Aside from Ithaca, these places are flyover anyway.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote] Pete will handle it.

Pete's a fucking failure.

He has fucked up everything in transportation.

He's the reason everything is messed up right now.

Talk about not being ready for Prime Time.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote] Aside from Ithaca, these places are flyover anyway.

This is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 12:03 AM

How much do pilots get paid? It seems like even a decade ago and definitely 20 years ago it was considered a glamorous job.

But around 8 years ago I was at the Westchester airport and overheard two pilots taking about which shitty hotel they were going to stay in and how they had to call for availability and were trying to use points, etc. I had assumed someone handled that for them and they got to stay somewhere nice when they were away from home base overnight. It totally changed my perception.

I don’t want them to lower the standards. I want them to pay pilots more. I was in the world financial center on 9/11 and I remember someone asking (in between the first and second plane), “Why would the pilot do that?” And I was 100% confident the pilot was already dead. I even said, “He wouldn’t,” (yes, that was sexist). These days, you have pilots committing suicide and taking a whole plane load of people with them. It used to be largely ex military people. It’s the same with nuclear reactors - a lot of the operators are ex-navy. They were in the service and observable for years and had to get security clearances. A plane, like a nuclear reactor, can do a lot of damage.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 12:16 AM

[quote]as their would be an experienced pilot in the captain’s chair

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 1:34 PM

Part of the problem is the mandatory retirement age for pilots. They have to retire at age 65, which forces pilots out of the system faster than new pilots can come in to replace them.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 2:00 PM

Yes, pilots need to be paid more and put up at decent hotels.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 2:40 PM

Rochester is not that far from Ithaca. Someone could probably make bank w a 4WD taxi between Rochester and Ithaca.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 2:43 PM

People who work for regional carriers, including pilots, make a whole lot less than those who work for major carriers.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 6:21 PM

R13 You were all over the place with that pointless ramble, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 6:24 PM

Not a good thing for Dubuque; it's the only airline serving them, and they opened a brand new 23 million dollar terminal building six years ago.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 6:26 PM

Pilots are just bus drivers in the air.

They get paid well enough.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 8:32 PM

I brive a dus.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 8:38 PM

How do assholes like R15 make their way in the world?

Do they take any responsibility for anything, or is everything in the world the fault of Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg?

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 9:01 PM

The pilots who fly commuter planes earn a shockingly low salary, like less than 40k. The FO in the accident linked below had to work as a barista to supplement her paycheck. This is the chickens coming home to roost. It's like when a restaurant owner wants to pay its staff $12 an hour and then cries when they don't have warm bodies to run the business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 9:02 PM

In what kind of a sick society does someone who pilots a $20 million piece of equipment at speeds of 600MPH at 30,000 feet altitude, responsible for the lives of 50+ people (the capacity of the smallest regional jets) earn far less than some jerked off MBA who just happens to know who to make a pretty Excel spread sheet? Why?

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 9:35 PM

"The only thing Pete could do (if he has authority over the FAA - I have no idea), is to allow larger planes be flown with a single pilot. "

It's funny because it's never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 10:08 PM

R28

Compensation for commuter pilots varies by airline, and not all are so badly off.

First of all there is base pay, then extras piled on that could raise annual total compensation by double or more.

Everyone has to start somewhere... Piloting regional/commuter planes is where most pilots start out to rack up necessary hours that qualify them for larger jets. Only way around this is for those coming out of the military already with necessary hours or pretty much near under their belt.

Problem is air travel has grown so quickly not just in USA but other parts of world with airlines adding more and more fights. This demand has far outstripped available supply and pipeline cannot produce more bodies quickly enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 7:06 AM

What the airlines should do is allow check in and security at these airports then bus the passengers directly to the plane at the nearby airport. I would be happy to clear TSA in Toledo and not have to do it in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 7:49 AM

R5, Cornell has students from all over the country and the world. You think if they're not local, they take the train? The dorms are closed for winter and summer break, so there's no option to stay there all year unless you live in off campus housing. More students use the Syracuse airport than Ithaca, though, because it's much cheaper, or at least it was when I went there. There's also a shuttle service that runs between Cornell and Syracuse.

In my later years, I moved off campus and drove back and forth from Wisconsin between semesters, but my first two years I had to fly for the major breaks, as did many who lived in the dorms.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 8:11 AM

They'll fly United instead and they won't have to change in Atlanta as Delta flyers often have to do.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 12:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!