Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Miscast Broadway actors

With all the kerfuffle about Beanie in FG, what Broadway or tour roles have you seen which were seriously miscast? Here are some actors' comments about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 25, 2022 3:59 PM

Carol in the FOLLIES concert

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 8:14 PM

Brooke Shields in Cabaret. But I’ve loved her in other stage roles.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 8:21 PM

George Gobel in Bent.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 8:25 PM

John C. Reilly as 'Stanley Kowalski' in the 2005 STREETCAR revival (opposite Natasha Richardson's 'Blanche')

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 8:25 PM

Amy Irving's weird quasi-cameo in a production of LADY IN THE DARK, with a superb Victoria Clark. It felt like the director lost a bet to her, or owed her some other favor. Just random and bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 8:28 PM

Jan Maxwell in Follies and To Be or not to Be. You can put her in the most expensive dress in the world and she still looks as if she should be cleaning the toilets. Completely wrong for Phyllis, a woman who is so polished that she has lost nearly all humanity. In To Be or Not to Be she was completely unbelievable as the female lead of a theater troupe.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 8:31 PM

I remember seeing someone in "Sunset Boulevard" who was completely dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote]John C. Reilly as 'Stanley Kowalski' in the 2005 STREETCAR revival (opposite Natasha Richardson's 'Blanche')

Yeah, that was really unfortunate casting. Also, Aidan Quinn in that previous production of STREETCAR with Blythe Danner.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 8:53 PM

I hope someday we get to witness Timothee Chalamet’s Stanley Kowalski

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 4:01 AM

Not on Broadway, but still unbelievable!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 4:08 AM

Christine Baranski as the title character in the 2006 Kennedy Center production of MAME that was supposed to be Broadway-bound but was canceled at the last minute. She's more of a Vera.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 4:21 AM

Junior Samples as Arthur in Camelot.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 4:25 AM

R4 that was the first Broadway play I saw. I was crushed by how poor it was. Natasha Richardson was ok (like Cate Blanchett, her Blanche was beat for beat exactly how you would expect her to play it) but John C Reilly was a disaster.

His friend Philip Seymour Hoffman might have been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 4:26 AM

[quote]Christine Baranski as the title character in the 2006 Kennedy Center production of MAME that was supposed to be Broadway-bound but was canceled at the last minute. She's more of a Vera.

When that casting was announced, I also thought Baranski was an odd choice for Mame and would have been better as Vera. But she was very good in the part. The character of Mame does have her pretentious aspect, which Baranski played up, but she did also have the warmth for the role when necessary, as in "My Best Girl."

R13, if there could have been any worse casting of Stanley Kowalski than John C. Reilly, it would have been Philip Seymour Hoffman. But maybe you were joking?

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 1:08 PM

Katrina Lenk as "Bobbie."

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 1:10 PM

Christian Hoff in Pal Joey

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 1:15 PM

And Stockard Channing as Vera in PAL JOEY.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 1:22 PM

Victoria Clark's LADY IN THE DARK was not on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 1:26 PM

Ariana DeBose as a Tony Awards host.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 1:32 PM

R18, but she is a Broadway actress. Baranki's Mame was also not on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 1:32 PM

R18 cannot read/comprehend.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 1:34 PM

Rosie O'Donnell in anything she's ever done on Broadway, but most particularly Rizzo in GREASE and Golde in FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

It's bad enough that she can't sing, but who would buy her as the 50s school sexpot or as a Jewish fishwife?

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 1:36 PM

Kristin Chenoweth in Promises, Promises

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 1:42 PM

Lauren Bacall in Waiting in the Wings

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 1:43 PM

Margo Channing in Aged in Wood

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 1:49 PM

Seems everyone was miscast in 'Music Man'. Didn't even make a show album, which I would have bought for posterity.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 1:51 PM

EVERYONE who was EVER cast in ANY revival of Follies EVER.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 1:53 PM

Everyone who has ever played Marta in Company after Pamela Myers.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 1:55 PM

I resemble that remark!

Giggle.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 1:58 PM

R27, not entirely true, but the character of Phyllis is very difficult to cast as most actresses have no idea what the character is like. The role really requires the actress to do virtually nothing . She is far too controlled. Modern actresses want to "act!" the role.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 2:00 PM

Did Baranski have the " charm" necessary for Mame? She seems very good with hardass roles.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 2:03 PM

R31, She wore an unflattering blonde wig in the DC production.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 2:42 PM

It's obvious that Baranski wanted to attempt something different than what she had done as Mary Anne. When she was on All My Children long before she became famous (as the girlfriend of her real life husband Matthew Cowles), she played a role similar to Opal Gardner. I also found her very unique as the girlfriend of Klaus Von Bulow in "Reversal of Fortune", seemingly cold in appearance, but quite lovely as a woman. But as Mame (which I've watched in a bootleg), she tries, but doesn't fully pull it off. Harriet Harris as Vera and Emily Skinner as Gooch seemed to be better cast.

I also saw Christine Ebersole in a filmed production from Paper Mill. She was more miscast than Baranski, and had no warmth.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2022 2:52 PM

Ariana DeBose in "Summer: The Musical."

She didn't have the range...

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2022 2:52 PM

Madonna in Speed the Plow

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2022 3:25 PM

Peter Allen in Legs Diamond

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2022 3:26 PM

Baranski and Ebersole in " Bosom Buddies" at 2:08.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2022 4:39 PM

Liam Neeson as Oscar Wilde and Tom Hollander as Bosie in THE JUDAS KISS by David Hare. The play wasn't much either, but maybe with a better cast it would have worked better.

I gather the London revival with Rupert Everett and Freddie Fox was much better, though the film Everett subsequently directed, THE HAPPY PRINCE, which covers much of the same material, is a draggy bore. I first thought it was a film adaptation of Hare's play but Everett has the only writing credit.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2022 5:44 PM

I once thought that Sigourney Weaver would make an interesting Phyllis (she has the long legs and height for a showgirl) but I have no idea if she can sing or could ever handle the dancing. She's obviously too old now.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2022 5:47 PM

[quote] who would buy her as the 50s school sexpot or as a Jewish fishwife?

Maybe not the Jewish part, but Rosie is on the money as fishwife.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2022 6:17 PM

Supposedly Sigourney Weaver was going to play Phyllis in 2001, but changed her mind.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2022 6:18 PM

This is about roles which were miscast, not about speculating who would be good in Follies. There are numerous threads for that.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2022 6:56 PM

Gwen Verdon as 'Lola' in the film version of DAMN YANKEES.

Granted, she originated the role on stage, but for the movie they needed someone more convincingly sexy/seductive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 7:05 PM

R43, and about 15-20 years younger. The whole point of the character is that, like Joe Hardy, she sells her soul to the devil for youth and beauty.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2022 7:13 PM

R4, Chris Meloni was offered Stanley in the Roundabout “Streetcar,” but got cold feet and backed out. Don’t know if he would’ve been good, but he would’ve LOOKED great!

Replacements are where the worst mistakes are often made.

Ally Sheedy and Taye Diggs as “Hedwig” were both disasters.

Raquel Welch in Victor/Victoria was a nightmare, onstage and off.

And Robert Sean Leonard as Harold Hill was painful to watch. Not only was he completely at sea onstage, but I’m not sure he’d ever SEEN a musical before.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2022 7:33 PM

Chris Meloni would have been physically perfect for Stanley and he can do brute very well. He could have been excellent.

Christie Brinkley as Roxie in Chicago. Couldn't act, sing, or dance. Felt like the homecoming queen getting the lead in the school musical where you simply admired her for not falling on her face for the whole two and half hours.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2022 7:40 PM

I saw both the Baranski MAME and the Ebersole MAME live. Neither worked, in part because the surrounding productions failed to deliver the required glamor and in part because yes, neither talented leading lady was quite right.

Both were saddled with Veras who should have been much better. Ebersole had Kelly Bishop, whose tart way with a 1-liner should have been ideal, but who phoned it in to a degree shocking in a Tony-winning professional. Baranski's Vera was the great Harriet Harris, frightfully misdirected to shriek her way through the part. That production was also my sole live experience of Emily Skinner in which she did NOT knock me out. I blame the talentless Eric Schaeffer.

Then again, MAME itself is perhaps an insurmountable problem. An Encores! version could be great fun with the right leading lady, but beyond that . . .

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2022 8:41 PM

When Russell Crowe hit the international big time with L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, I thought that someone should hurry up and cast him as Stanley Kowalski. Never happened, alas.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2022 8:43 PM

[quote] Jan Maxwell in Follies and To Be or not to Be. You can put her in the most expensive dress in the world and she still looks as if she should be cleaning the toilets.

True but she "looked" like she should be cleaning toilets. She's dead.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2022 8:48 PM

Stritch in The King and I sounds so strange... then you remember she was -- for some inexplicable reason -- considered a sort of straight leading lady in lots of things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2022 8:52 PM

Goofy Nathan Lane as suave Castilian Gomez Addams.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2022 8:52 PM

Jan Maxwell is dead? Oh, my God, that's terrible. I just sent her a chain letter. There's a dollar I'll never see.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2022 8:52 PM

Patti LuPone in any role requiring subtlety, class and/or charm -- like Vera Simpson in the Encores! PAL JOEY. (Yes, I know that that wasn't Broadway.)

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2022 8:54 PM

R53 Yes, Patti should have retired before Evita.

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2022 9:00 PM

[quote] the great Harriet Harris, frightfully misdirected to shriek her way through the part.

That is Harriet Harris left to her own devices. She needs a *very* strong director to rein her in. I suspect Baranski was taking all of the director's attention and everyone thought Harris would be able to fend for herself.

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2022 9:11 PM

Katharine Hepburn in Coco, at least from clips that I've seen. I'm mystified as to how that came to be. She looks nothing like Chanel, and from what I've heard, didn't even attempt a French accent. Yet audiences apparently ate it up night after night and it made a bundle.

Bette Davis is Miss Moffett. Apparently, she would forget the dialogue and just start reciting famous lines from her movies and talk to the audience.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2022 9:18 PM

R56, Ginger Rogers later played both roles in regional/touring productions.

by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2022 12:22 AM

Imagine if Audrey Hepburn had played Coco

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2022 1:14 AM

Denis O'Hare as Oscar in Sweet Charity. I usually love him but he gave a performance that read as if he wanted to be anywhere but on that stage.

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2022 1:42 AM

Maxwell in Follies worked for me 100%. This was a woman who almost extinguished her soul, except for a few embers that finally exploded. Her work in City of Conversation was incredible. What a loss.

by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2022 1:48 AM

[quote]Denis O'Hare as Oscar in Sweet Charity. I usually love him but he gave a performance that read as if he wanted to be anywhere but on that stage.

I hear he hated every moment of the experience. I'm not sure why, but maybe it was just he felt it was exhausting to perform, I forget.

Alec Baldwin completes the trifecta of totally miscast Stanley Kowalskis. He tried, but nobody was even paying him any mind as Jessica Lange was so incredible as Blanche. If anyone says different don't believe them, she was incredibly good.

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2022 4:04 AM

[quote] He tried, but nobody was even paying him any mind as Jessica Lange was so incredible as Blanche. If anyone says different don't believe them, she was incredibly good.

Except she got rotten reviews from everyone and he got a Tony nomination. But yeah, we'll believe you.

by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2022 4:24 AM

Helen Lawson in *That Tubman Dame!*

by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2022 4:25 AM

Everyone who's played the Baker's Wife in Into the Woods after Joanna Gleason.

by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2022 4:35 AM

[quote]Peter Allen in Legs Diamond

It takes a special talent to write yourself a role and then be miscast in it.

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2022 4:37 AM

r58 Whether rumor or fact IDK, but didn't the producer or casting director assume he'd get Audrey when an underling was told to "Get me Hepburn."?

by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2022 4:41 AM

R66, Wasn't Coco Chanel wary of Hepburn's casting and it took a meeting between the two of them to assuage her?

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2022 4:46 AM

R66 that Audrey/Katharine mix-up was during the making of SABRINA, Audrey's second American film. ROMAN HOLIDAY, which made her a star and won her the Oscar, hadn't been released yet. Therefore, when called upon to dress Ms. Hepburn, Givenchy assumed it was for Katharine, who was far better-known in the early 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2022 6:31 AM

[quote]Alec Baldwin completes the trifecta of totally miscast Stanley Kowalskis. He tried, but nobody was even paying him any mind as Jessica Lange was so incredible as Blanche. If anyone says different don't believe them, she was incredibly good.

To repeat a point I've made before: From all reports, Lange was tremendously inconsistent from one performance to the next during the run of that STREETCAR. Some people felt she was brilliant, others felt she was at sea. I only saw the show once, and at that performance, she was very ineffective for the first two thirds of the play or so but then got better at the end. Apparently, at that point in her career, she hadn't yet developed her stage chops to the point of being consistently good for eight perfs a week over several months.

There is a TV movie adaptation of that production with Lange and Baldwin, but of course we can't really judge her stage performance from that.

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2022 12:56 PM

Here's Frank Rich not paying Alec Baldwin any mind in that STREETCAR:

"The exciting news from the Ethel Barrymore Theater, where Gregory Mosher’s new Broadway staging of Streetcar arrived last night, is that Alec Baldwin has won. His Stanley is the first I’ve seen that doesn’t leave one longing for Mr. Brando, even as his performance inevitably overlaps his predecessor’s. Mr. Baldwin is simply fresh, dynamic and true to his part as written and lets the echoes fall where they may. While his Stanley does not in the end ignite this play’s explosive power, that limitation seems imposed not by his talent but by the production surrounding him and, especially, by his unequal partner in unhinged desire, Jessica Lange’s Blanche du Bois.

"Unsurprisingly, Mr. Baldwin imbues Stanley with an animalistic sexual energy that sends waves through the house every time he appears onstage. The audience responds with edgy delight from when he first removes his shirt and un-self-consciously uses it to wipe the New Orleans sweat from his armpits and torso. Yet the actor’s more important achievement is to bring a full palette to a man who is less than a hero but more than a brute. Cruel as Mr. Baldwin’s Stanley is, and must be, he comes across as an ingenuous, almost-innocent working stiff until Blanche provokes him to move in for the kill. His Stanley is funny in a post-adolescent, bowling buddy way as late as the rape scene, when he fondly emulates a cousin who was a 'human bottle-opener.' Even the famous interlude in which he screams for his wife, Stella (Amy Madigan), becomes pitiful as well as harrowing when Mr. Baldwin, a fallen, baffled beast, deposits himself in a sobbing heap at the bottom of a tenement’s towering stairs.

"Not the least of the actor’s achievements is to remind us why Williams’ play is so much more than the sum of its story of Stanley’s battle with the sister-in-law who invades his and Stella’s shabby French Quarter flat. 'I am 100 percent American, born and raised in the greatest country on earth,' Stanley rightly bellows at one point, after Blanche has taunted him one time too many for being a 'Polack.' He fills the play with the America of big-shouldered urban industrialism, of can-do pragmatism, of brute strength and vulgar humors: the swaggering America that believes, as Stanley paraphrases Huey Long, that 'every man is a king.' Mr. Baldwin makes it easy to see how Blanche and the ambivalent, self-destructive author for whom she is a surrogate could find this simian, menacing man mesmerizing even as he embodies the very forces on a 'dark march' to destroy them and their romantic old America of decaying plantations, kind strangers and 'tenderer feelings.'"

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2022 2:45 PM

No, r68, the Coco story was supposedly true.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2022 2:47 PM

For all of Rich's drooling over Alec Baldwin, I've never been that impressed watching him onstage. Baldwin is a very limited actor in some ways. He has a good voice but he seems uncomfortable and awkward in his own body. (His wildly fluctuating weight doesn't help matters.)

He also has a history of bad relations with his castmates in several stage productions, including Lange, Jan Maxwell, and others.

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2022 3:18 PM

R72, I offered Rich's review in response to the claim that all anyone noticed in that production was Lange. Your take is really interesting -- my only encounter with him onstage was ENTERTAINING MR. SLOANE (to which you allude: didn't he punch a hole in a wall backstage while arguing with Jan Maxwell). In that he was exceptionally skilled at delivering what he'd been directed to do (or had decided to do) -- play it like Charles Nelson Reilly -- but there was no connection to anyone else onstage.

Then again, I think that his work on 30 ROCK is some of the best comic acting I've ever seen onscreen, and there he did seem to have a wonderful rapport with his scene partners. (Casting Elaine Stritch as his mother was brilliant on so many levels.) And his SNL hosting always shows how willing he is to "go there" comedically. In serious work he can be good but is generally less striking.

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2022 8:58 PM

Do understudies count? If so, Nancy Hess. She covered for both Reinking and Neuwirth when the Chicago revival opened. You want someone really talented and special in both those roles but whenever Hess went on, which got to be often, she was just there, taking up space.

When DL's beloved Lenora Nemetz performed the same function in the original production, she was just fantastic as both Roxie and Velma.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2022 11:47 PM

[quote]Except she got rotten reviews from everyone...

That bears no relationship to reality, of course. She got many excellent notices.

I saw it twice, including opening night. Lange was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2022 12:28 AM

I like Alec Baldwin a lot, I think his turns on SNL are among the best there are, but he's a preppy frat boy, not a Stanley Kowalski.

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2022 12:32 AM

R75 then why was Alec Baldwin the only one to get a Tony nomination for that production?

In fact, he was the production's sole nomination.

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2022 12:34 AM

When Baldwin made his entrance in that Streetcar, he ripped off his T shirt, swabbed his pits with it and then started sniffing it. The audience usually gasped.

by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2022 12:37 AM

Christian Borle and Andrew Rannells in the Falsettos Revival. Absolutely awful casting.

by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2022 12:37 AM

Also in that Alec Baldwin Streetcar was the worst cast Mitch I've ever seen, the model handsome, muscular Timothy Carhart. It did nothing for his career either.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2022 12:39 AM

i saw phantom of the opera (i know) when i was 12 in 1992 and i don't remember the actors' names, but both the phantom and christine were very, very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2022 12:44 AM

R81, Davis Gaines?

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2022 2:44 AM

Love Bernadette Peters but she was all wrong for Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2022 5:55 AM

^ I guess you didn't catch Linda Lavin in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2022 6:03 AM

Bernadette Peters in Annie Get Your Gun was also miscast.

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2022 6:04 AM

Bernie was quite good by the end of her run in Gypsy. Unfortunately, by and large, that's not what the most of the public and critics saw. Check out her Tony performance.

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2022 6:15 AM

R78 why did they gasp?

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2022 8:50 AM

r82, no idea, I was just a kid on my first trip to NYC. Could probably turn up the name if I dug for it (the Playbill site will know I'm sure). I saw a great production of it a few years later in Denver.

As bad as Phantom was, it was made up for by Guys and Dolls, which had opened only a few months before, starring Nathan Lane, Peter Gallagher, and Faith Prince, I'll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2022 12:18 PM

Andy Randells and Lens Dunham in “I Do! I Do!”

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2022 12:24 PM

I agree about Peters and " Annie Get Your Gun." People forget she originated the role because Reba was so good.

by Anonymousreply 90June 25, 2022 12:56 PM

Peters was terrific in the Sam Mendes Gypsy. It was when she got stuck in the tug of war between Mendes and Laurents that things fell apart. I don't blame her. It must have been a horrible situation.

Similarly, I don' think Faith Prince was miscast in Bells are Ringing. The blame lies entirely on Tina Landau undermining her at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2022 1:02 PM

I like Faith Prince but I feel she was miscast in Bells Are Ringing. The role was specifically tailored to Judy Holliday, who had a very subdued style of comedy.

I’ve seen Faith many times (one of her best performances was Falsettoland where she was brilliant with Holding to the Ground.) But she’s never been able to dial it back. She’s like Liza Minnelli in that there’s always an intense energy to her performance.

by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2022 1:27 PM

R92, Faith Prince did dial it back for the pre-Broadway, out of town production of BELLS ARE RINGING at the Kennedy Center, but then she schticked it up for the Broadway run. Of course, I have no way of knowing if that was her decision of Tina Landau's, or a combination of both.

by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2022 1:31 PM

Yes, Landau was the wrong director for that Bells revival. About a year before the revival, I saw a community theater production of the show and it was a lot of fun. Yes, it’s dated, but it has heart. The Broadway revival sucked all the fun out of the show.

I also think Marc Kudisch was miscast. He didn’t have the suave, bachelor playboy factor. Part of Ella’s character is wondering why such a “swinging” guy would be interested in a shlubby telephone operator. She totally misses that she has an engaging personality.

by Anonymousreply 94June 25, 2022 1:43 PM

[quote]I also think Marc Kudisch was miscast. He didn’t have the suave, bachelor playboy factor.

I thought he had that factor of the role. And he was gorgeous then. Funny story: When I saw that production with a friend of mine, I turned to her afterwards and asked, "Would this show work at all if the actor playing Jeff didn't look like that?" And she said, "No."

by Anonymousreply 95June 25, 2022 2:03 PM

R90, And yet, Bern won a Tony for it.

by Anonymousreply 96June 25, 2022 3:07 PM

John Stamos in "Nine". "Bells Of St. Sebastian" was simply beyond his abilities.

Barry Williams in "City Of Angels". As the smooth gumshoe. Though I admit it was fun seeing a Brady live and in person.

by Anonymousreply 97June 25, 2022 3:12 PM

I agree with Carol in Follies. The story I heard was that they wanted her for Hattie (Broadway Baby). She said she’d only play Carlotta and not wanting to lose her star power, the producers gave her Carlotta.

Not only is she physically wrong for the role, but she didn’t act it very well. I’m Still Here is not a comedy shtick song, yet there’s Carol trying to grab a laugh with “I’ve been through Herbert and J. Edgar Hoo-woo-ver.”

by Anonymousreply 98June 25, 2022 3:20 PM

Faith Prince was directed by Landau to be Lucille Ball. The entire production was directed as a 1950s sitcom which did not serve the play at all. It didn't help that the 1950s hair and makeup that was chosen for Faith made her look 10 years older than Kudisch.

by Anonymousreply 99June 25, 2022 3:22 PM

R98, Carol has said in interviews that she was more nervous that evening than any other in her career.

by Anonymousreply 100June 25, 2022 3:23 PM

R94, Seriously? Marc Kudisch was at his sexiest around that time.

by Anonymousreply 101June 25, 2022 3:26 PM

Carol was nervous because she knew she was miscast and in over her head. Carlotta is a sexpot role. In the show she’s living with a younger man and says she’ll probably drop him for another guy in six months. They should have had Cleo Laine do it. Or Rita Moreno. Or Jill O’Hara.

by Anonymousreply 102June 25, 2022 3:41 PM

I think Faith Prince is ten years older than Marc Kudisch, but, yes, in Bells she looked like Ginny from Billing.

Another “I agree” about Carol in Follies. I think Mrs. Lovett would have been a good Sondheim part for her though.

by Anonymousreply 103June 25, 2022 3:44 PM

R101, the role is not just about being sexy. There’s a suave factor that Kudisch didn’t have. He was too modern. The role needs a modern day Cary Grant.

by Anonymousreply 104June 25, 2022 3:44 PM

Like moi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 25, 2022 3:49 PM

The Bells revival should have cast Brian Stokes Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 106June 25, 2022 3:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!