Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm making Cornish hens and hasselback potatoes for dinner

Haven't had one of these delicious little hens in years and it will be a first for the potatoes. I used to stuff my birds with a mixture of brown and wild rice but just unstuffed tonight.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 12:21 AM

I'm suing you for using a variation of my name, you disgusting gay person!

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 7:22 PM

I can't stand the sight of cornish hens, with their whole headless bodies on plates, yuck. I know it's me, not you, OP.

I do like Hasselback potatoes. I'll fill up on the sides, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 7:25 PM

Cornish hens are a pain to eat, they're all bones. Serve another form of fowl.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 7:27 PM

It's not for a formal dinner R3. Just me and the bf. We eat a lot of chicken so I'm just mixing it up. Next I might even try a duck, another first for me. Aldi's has surprisingly good prices for their cornish hens and duck.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 7:32 PM

I like to do Cornish hens with the old Dijon mustard/herbes de Provence rub.

It’s not revolutionary, but it’s pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 7:36 PM

I LOVE to roast a chicken with fresh herbs, vegetables, and a little white wine. But I've never worked with Cornish Hens. I'll have to give them a go.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 7:48 PM

R6 I cook with wine constantly. If I have any left over alcohol in it goes into a lot of dishes I cook. Red wine goes into Italian sauces, I've used leftover beer and champagne in chicken. Champagne makes excellent sauces.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 7:53 PM

R7 I don't drink anymore, so it would be strictly for cooking. It really does make a difference. And I've heard that very thing regarding champagne, but haven't ever cooked with it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 8:08 PM

The other day, I used some leftover merlot to poach salmon steaks and was surprised at how good it was. I diluted the wine with a little fresh orange juice, which worked very well.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 8:43 PM

I use leftover wine all the time. Old champagne is great to deglaze with. Recently, I made pork chops marinated with some old chianti, splash of balsamic, olive oil, salt pepper oregano and garlic powder. I used my LeCruset grill pan and it worked really nicely.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 9:26 PM

Did you submit your recipes to Greg in advance for his approval, OP?

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 9:29 PM

R10 that sounds good. I've been getting bored with my usual pork chop recipes.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 9:29 PM

No R11. I have Greg blocked so even if he butts in I can't see its posts. I manage cooking quite well on my own.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 9:31 PM

Good for you, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 9:35 PM

They're called Cornish GAME hens.

They're also very 1970's.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 9:38 PM

I always make them this way OP. They are very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2022 9:42 PM

I miss Greg's posts. He had such a way with food. I can almost imagine how good his meals must have tasted.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2022 9:50 PM

Those hasselback potatoes look divine. I think a Béarnaise Sauce with them would be lovely.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2022 9:57 PM

Yes, R15, but being 1970s doesn't make them less delicious.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote] I cook with wine constantly

Me too, OP…sometimes I even put it in the food.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 12:10 AM

I don’t mind them, but I’m with R3.

Just make a whole chicken.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 12:14 AM

That tabaka recipe looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 12:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!