Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'America's Test Kitchen'

I'm watching it in the background on the 28/7 Pluto TV channel, and it seems that 80% of the cast is gay or lesbian. Am I wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2022 1:59 PM

I think you're wrong. I would have guessed one of the women is a lesbian but I think they are both straight. The annoying original 'anchor' (who has since left) was obviously a straight nerd and he talked about his kids a lot, and the younger newish guy with the half-paralyzed mouth has been discussed here and he's straight.

Julia seems gay, but I think I read somewhere she is married to a man...

Bridget is married to a man and she has kids.

Jack Bishop is one of the two men who seems overtly gay but he has a wife and daughters.

Adam Reid seema gay to me. He is the chubby tool tester. *snicker* I can't find any info on his personal lofe.

--

Besides seeming gay, this cast is soooo white. I'm white and I didn't register that the whole cast is white (there's a black woman now) until I saw Bridget demonstrate Asian-style noodle dishes and then Julia and Bridget talk about how they modified traditional Mexican taco and quesadilla recipes to make them "perfect." That just seems wrong, two chubby blonde chefs perfecting ethnic foods.

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2022 1:07 PM

Adam Reid (the tool test guy) mentioned his boyfriend on the air recently. I can't remember who's Julia and who's Bridget but they both refer to their husbands and children often.

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2022 1:16 PM

I like cooking/homemaking shows but I don't get this one.

It always seems like a borderline infomercial. Just like copper pots and the salad shooter.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2022 1:24 PM

Dan Souza- gay as a picnic basket.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2022 1:25 PM

I love their recipes, but hate this show.

Get a subscription to the magazine, and Milk Street if you bake.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2022 1:26 PM

Bridget and Julia seem to loathe each other. They've also now got Ashley, another zaftig white woman, along with Erin, who is slimmer. Then they have the Hunger Pangs father and son duo who are Asian. And a couple of newer white males. They're expanding.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2022 1:27 PM

There's nothing wrong with white people being white. That being said, the personalities on the show are clueless and a little obnoxious, and they need to be more realistic about their expertise with other people's cuisines.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2022 1:31 PM

[quote]There's nothing wrong with white people being white.

That’s a relief.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2022 1:33 PM

I discovered a few months ago that my LG TV has its own channels, mostly bizarre, such a channels dedicated to the Beverly Hillbillies and the Addams Family.

One is also dedicated to this show—mostly older episodes—and one to the UK Antiques Roadshow, and I've watched a lot of both.

The Antiques Roadshow is interesting. The items are on average at least 100 years older as the American ones, and on average they seem to be worth about 1/10 as much money.

I like America's Test Kitchen a lot overall but the host/executive editor annoys the fuck out of me. He's a know-it-all like Alton Brown but he also seems really smug and I get the impression Bridget and Julia just barely tolerate him. He made some sexist innuendo comment in an episode I saw yesterday. I imagine it had to have been an old episode because I think he would be canceled for it today.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2022 1:35 PM

R8 there were people on this thread acting like seeing a white person on the screen, or two white people without a person of color as a palate cleanser, was devaluing the show somehow. I agree that these particular people are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2022 1:39 PM

R10 I am R1 and I mentioned that they're all so white because I find it very uncomfortable verging on embarrassing when these know-it-alls give lessons on non-European foods and take it upon themselves to improve upon them. It's really presumptuous.

I think the whole issue is the premise of the show itself. Every receipe they make is presented as "here's what most people do, and here is the BEST way to do it." It's inherently obnoxious. But when they are making foods traditionally made by different cultures, that approach crosses the line for me. I am a white guy. It's not a racist thing. I'm not condemning white people for being white people. I'm condemning obnoxious people for saying they know better than hundreds or thousands of years of traditional cooking practice.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2022 1:46 PM

it's called Pluto TV, moron, r9.

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2022 1:47 PM

Those are just progressive white gay men obsessing over race, R10. What else is new.

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2022 1:52 PM

R12 Uh, no. It's not. It's called "LG channels." It has nothing to do with Pluto TV.

But thanks for calling me names like a child, you lovely, mature adult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2022 1:53 PM

R11 I think it would be better to just ascribe their behavior to them individually rather than use white as a shorthand to imply that. It doesn't have the same connotations everywhere and if they handled those segments in a better way- more respectfully, doing research, having on guests to teach them- they would all still be white.

It's an obnoxious concept in general. If they wanted to stay in their lane they really shouldn't be doing anything other than traditional New England dishes- which just happen to be their best recipes, oddly enough.

The one disaster I had with them was their version of Cacio e Pepe which as far as I can tell straight up doesn't work. I've had it fail twice.The sauce never coalesces.

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2022 1:54 PM

LG Channels: Free Premium Streaming, OTA Channels LG Channels, exclusively powered by XUMO and Pluto TV combines premium, digital internet channels with your broadcast or cable television lineup.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2022 1:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!