Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Manners

Can we just appreciate how good looking he was??

And GAY!!!!

Known for Dracula, The Mummy, A Bill of Divorcement, The Perfect Clue, and The Death Kiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 6:55 AM

Another good pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 2:35 PM

Looks super gay!

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 2:37 PM

R2 He was hot and gay.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 3:21 PM

Beautiful face.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 3:29 PM

Hilarious excerpt from OP's Wiki page:

[quote] he and his 23-year-old wife were living together in Los Angeles in a $175-a-month rental property, along with Antonio Dumles, a 22-year-old Filipino who was listed as the couple's servant. David and Suzanne's marriage proved to be a brief one; they divorced in 1932.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 3:40 PM

I had no idea he was gay. I've been watching him in Dracula and The Mummy since I was a kid. I'm gonna look for his books.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 4:37 PM

He's dreamy

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 9:07 PM

Just meh

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 9:10 PM

Oh shit!

Manners

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 9:11 PM

Gorgeous face.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 9:19 PM

An interesting thread on Manners from the Classic Horror Film Board.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 11:33 PM

I'd seen The Mummy and Dracula a bunch of times and admittedly didn't pay much attention to him. Not saying he wasn't good but it just didn't hit me that way. But one day I saw Miracle Woman starring him and Barbara Stanwyck and he was just wonderful, came across so natural and charming, I had to look him up.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 5:47 AM

I didn't know his story, so thanks for posting OP. As usual when there is an interesting post like this, I searched Google and found various articles. Attached is one that list the Classic Gays of the Monster Era. At least according to this site, Boris Karloff was family. I never heard that. Supposedly he had a fling with James Whale, the for-the-time daringly out director of Frankenstein. That's how Karloff supposedly got the part. Also the article says he was divorced by five of his six wives when they found him philandering with men. I'd never, ever heard that before. I looked but couldn't find corroboration for this site's stories. Has anyone on here heard about Karloff being gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 6:55 PM

R13 The straights can keep Karloff

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 7:38 PM

Two of DM's more interesting roles at Warners: CROONER (32) and MAN WANTED (32). In the first one, he's a prissy, narcissistic bandleader/singer who gets his comeuppance. In the second, he's basically "on call" as Kay Francis's "male secretary."

In rotation on Turner Classic Movies.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 8:06 PM

Don't forget ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ค ๐‚๐š๐ญ (1934)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2022 1:54 AM

That stuff about Karloff on IMDB was made up by a harridan who ran a website trashing Karloff because she was a stan for Bela, and wanted to smear Karloff's reputation. She was homophobic so she thought accusing Boris of being gay would tarnish his rep. She had a website that was shut down because of the outrageous stuff she was writing about Karloff and Karloff/Lugosi biography Gregory Mank. She apparently got a premium account on IMDB, because you can add or change entries(just like Wikipedia). Which is why IMDB should be taken with a grain of salt. I wish someone who is a premium member would correct some of this outlandish crap.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2022 6:52 AM

*biographer

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 6:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!