Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Retiring or being a snowbird in Mexico, any experiences?

Any DL’ers looking into either being a snowbird or retiring in Mexico? I’m thinking about it when I’m ready to retire in 8 years. San Miguel de Allende, Playa del Carmen, Oaxaca, Puerto Escondido, not really interested in west coast or Baja, anyone have any other locations to recommend?

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2022 12:54 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2022 12:34 PM

It’s hard to say what the right place is for you unless you spend some time in each location. Some places seem great on paper or great for vacation, but not so much for long term living. San Miguel is one of the priciest areas of Mexico and I think I would be bored there after a few weeks, though you are close to a large city with Queretaro and the interesting town of Guanajuato. It’s also annoying trying to walk around the centro with the narrow sidewalks, cobblestones, and throngs of people. Playa del Carmen - super touristy and the beach often has a bad sargassum problem. Oaxaca is charming and walkable, though I have heard there are issues with crime and roadblocks due to indigenous protests. I didn’t experience either, but I was only there for a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2022 12:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!