Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

***The Supreme Court is successfully legislating from the Bench***

Please read the link below if you are concerned about Climate Change.

This time the CONservative Supremes are ruling in favor of Big Oil and denying climate change and our future and our planet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 22, 2022 4:54 AM

They even have their own personal shares in the oil & gas industry. So yes, they are personally making money from their investments in the industry. Don’t focus only on the insurrection, because these greedy assholes are sneaking important rulings concerning our future financial well-being and our atmosphere.

These CON Supremes voted in favor of gutting the EPA: Roberts, Alito, Kavanaugh,Barret, Thomas, Gorsuch.

While the 3 liberal Justices voted against gutting the EPA. SOTOMAYER, BREYER, KAGAN.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 7:21 AM

Another ruling that merges the State with Religion which is blatantly unconstitutional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 7:27 AM

SCOTUS also ruled against the separation of church and state by allowing PUBLIC money to go to RELIGIOUS schools...The GOP has destroyed our country. They have actually won. 3 years from now children will be taught Jesus Jabber in EVERY school, LGBT will be illegal, women will be forced to co-parent with their rapists, and the military will be patrolling the Mexican Border. Wait and See..It is over. We Dems lost. We put up with wimps like Nancy and Chuck to protect us and they did not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 7:28 AM

Can a SC Justice ever be impeached? What if we find that a ruling was personally beneficial? Or say, violates the Constitution? Is there any thing Congress can do?

I’m hoping Biden uses his Executive Order privilege to halt the obliteration of Roe v. Wade. Not that he will, but if he can issue an order stalling the implementation of the overturning. Than we can be spared of forced birthing at least until 2024. The same if they try to stop abortion pills. I mean, how can these Christofascists plan on enforcing this ban? Search through everyone’s mail?

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 9:00 AM

Another possibility is to increase the number of Supremes and overturn the conservative court rulings.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 9:02 AM

It’s all confusing because these judges are appointed for life….so they cannot ever be impeached even if they break our laws?

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 9:27 AM

What can we do to undo these con supremes?

Come on DLers

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 2:27 PM

Aha. I like one reply on another thread that simply stated:

The United States Supreme Court is a religious institution.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2022 1:59 AM

This is how Republican policies have destroyed us and the majority of us live with a simmering anger. You put this simmering anger and mix it with no gun control and a government with wimps on our side and you have a recipe for disaster. Criminals, including those perjuring CON Supremes, allowed us to be free to shoot anything up with there AR-15s with no accountability.

AMERICA THE GREAT is now effectively AMERICA THE GREEDY.

One nation under Catholicism…With Liberty and Justice for NONE.

This is what we stand for now due to minority rule

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2022 2:11 AM

Imagine that the Supremes are busy legislating instead of Congress and Congress is busy doing law enforcement proving how 1/6 rioters are criminals while Merrick Gardner and the DOJ stand and watch. Then if Congress asks for someone that fails to show up for a subpoena, only then will the DOJ arrest him.

What in the hell is going on here? Isn’t there something wrong with this picture?

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2022 2:21 AM

Only blood in the streets will make a difference, it's coming.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 4:57 AM

I believe most people are confused that it is Congress’ job to create legislation. Not the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court is tasked to uphold the Constitution, not to create laws. If and only if a law violates the Constitution should they take up the case.

The Supreme Court is not supposed to cherry pick cases to be heard by Court based on their religious convictions nor for the financial benefit of paid politicians that placed them there.

Our system is broken.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 5:19 AM

And Biden refuses to pack the court. He is useless. He could do it if he wanted but he won't. And once these rulings come down there will be nothing we can do until some of them die and that is only if the democrats are in power when one of them dies.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 5:33 AM

That’s exactly correct. We’ll have to wait until some of these politicians die off as well. If NDP/Schumer could at the very limeade bring a bill to the floor and get the Rethugs to actually be on record, that would help in the future when they run for re-election. But they can not even do that!

What a bunch of bums that they got nothing done so far and will go into recess next week. That’s right, they are going home and take time off. Probably simply do fundraising - these corrupt politicians.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 7:26 AM

…ate the very least bring a bill to the floor…

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 7:41 AM

Another reason that supports that Gen Z will wipe away all of the CONservative Supremes gutting of the EPA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 12:05 PM

This is why I believe once these old fossils of politicians, these CONservatives and these CON Supremes’ outright deceit is over as they uniformly kick yee ole bucket, these Millenials and Gen Zers are going to take over. Then we’ll see and live in an entirely different United States of America…

Mind you, I don’t know what it may look like or what form in might take, but it will be different. As an Eldergay, it gives me pause as well.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 12:13 PM

Another example of how these CON Supremes are living in their last hurrah…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 12:16 PM

And another example why these criminal perjurers seated on today’s Supreme Court will hear their own death rattle as the next generations work to undo their criminal rulings surrounding Gun Control.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 12:20 PM

[quote]And Biden refuses to pack the court. He is useless. He could do it if he wanted but he won't.

Congress, not the President, is endowed with the power to determine the number of Supreme Court justices. What about the last two years makes you think Manchin and Sinema would agree to increase the status quo.

And if even if they did, what makes you think the next Republican Congress/President combo wouldn't add even more justices to the Court specifically to roll back anything a progressive Court advanced?

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 12:22 PM

[r20 Sorry to be off topic, but could you teach me how to create those DL quotes that you have in your reply? Meant TIAs]

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 12:25 PM

It is really incredible what is happening in the Supreme Court right now. The republicans have spent decades, basically my entire life, planning to overtake the court and legislate against everything they hate. And now they’ve got an impregnable majority they’re doing just that in the space of three months.

I’d be impressed if it weren’t so fucking horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 12:27 PM

[quote]And Biden refuses to pack the court. He is useless. He could do it if he wanted but he won't.

Is Biden also responsible for your ingrown toenail? Take a fucking civics class.

This all could have been avoided, but Democrats stayed home. And they are about to stay home again in November. And to that I say, you get what you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 12:27 PM

R21 -- put whatever you want to quote in between two brackets: [ ]

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 12:28 PM

Sorry, that's not correct, R21 -- type the word quote between two bracket signs, then add the text you want quoted after it. Return twice to end the quote.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 12:30 PM

Excusez-moi! How did you such a warped view? Dems and Biden won the majority vote. Why are you so warped not to verify this fact? We certainly did NOT stay home.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 12:33 PM

Thanks R25👍

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 12:35 PM

The Supreme Court of the is OFFICALLY a RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION that has ended Roe vs. Wade due to their staunch Catholicism and Christofascists..

Once again our country is perverted.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2022 7:53 PM

^Link^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2022 8:21 PM

This will have a Huuuuuge impact on straights. Women will be less willing to have sex with men - they will insist on using a condone because BC pills are not 100% proof. Men in general aren’t down with condoms.

This craptastic ruling means if a woman is raped, can these trigger states can force her to Cary the baby to term? HOW can they enforce it? Can the state forbid her from leaving the state to obtain an abortion?

Then if a woman is raped, under these trigger laws she has to give birth. We’re going back to the Stone Age where a caveman can just knock a female, impregnate and she will have no recourse.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2022 8:33 PM

This ROE ruling may cause such a backfire that SENs that were semi-moderate deeply red states may switch and vote in favor of Biden’s Reproduction Rights bill that is sitting in the Senate. The sheer this absurdity and frightening ruling may be shot down very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 8:40 PM

Why do these talking heads on TV always emphasize what we already know. They constantly regurgitate the same thing across all news channels. The new Press Secretary stated today is a tragic day because 5 Supreme Court Justices “took “ away a Constitutional right, But she doesn’t go on to ask WHY? These DEMS better grow a pair and keep pounding ‘ Perjury!’ This ruling violates the separation of church and state! It will cost many women’s lives! The Biden Administration needs to be projection with the heat of a 1000 suns, they’re sons, not

1. Biden announcing he will protect women going to other states that can provide abortion. That’s it? What if she can’t afford it? Will their be any subsidies? What about losing her job? Child care?

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 10:01 PM

Live MSNBC is digging in now…..yes they are even talking about the how much money it’s going to cost us. They are also starting to mention childcare needs if the woman has young children in school. She can’t just up and leave her life because 5 CRIMINAL, PERJURING, fundie Justice want to force their religion on her.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 10:21 PM

MSNC LIVE***6 pm.

Lots of footage in front of the Supreme Court building ofheated arguments between the two abortion groups. Lots of young girls are tearing up

I’m betting the far right deplorables are dancing in the streets and they’re probably beaming from ear to ear, women are deign put back in their house and be a sex slave to him.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 10:28 PM

Another observation….

Why are we not hear from any men? Dead silence. This will effect them too. Why aren’t they marching as well? These radical Christian’s aren’t going to stop since they don’t give a shit.

If men are going to wimp out thinking it’s not their problem, just wait until they stop having sex with you.

If I lived in these backwards states, I’d leave pronto.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2022 11:30 PM

I understand the packing of the court now...to slow down the lunacy. However, when repubs are in the majority...with a good possibility of a repub POTUS, you know they will do the same thing...and pack the court in their favor. It would only be a temporary fix for now for Democrats. There's a lot of tit for tat between the parties. It's like a fucking grade school.

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2022 11:39 PM

Ladies...stock up on good vibrators, and fuck the men (not). I mean, not really fuck them...lol.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2022 11:47 PM

I bet a good number of these Republican voters who are so anti-abortion haven’t even given it much thought. They just go with what their preacher, or favorite podcaster, or TV news outlet tells them to believe. If the pastor got in front of the congregation on Sunday and said “You know what, having an abortion is actually OK” they’d all change their minds on a dime. They’re sheep.

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2022 12:01 AM

It's the cult mentality...

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2022 12:04 AM

R36. The Pukes have already ravaged all previously held protocols and ripped every judicial procedure already and they will do more so when they take control of govt. it’s a guarantee.

So Biden/DEMS have nothing to lose at this point. They MUST, not should, pull out all the stops at this time.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2022 12:11 AM

It’s Lysistrata time….or learn to love being gay.

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2022 12:12 AM

I don’t understand why I feel so angry since none of it will have an effect on me, but I’m furious as hell with all this fuckery going on.

Silver lining: at least we are getting a break from the other insane, infuriating Jan. 6 hearings and the Ukraine war dragging along.

I want to disconnect and head for a deserted island with no media. Anyplace cool and isolated? But must offer good cuisine - a must for me to escape. Okay, and beer on tap.

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2022 12:20 AM

I hope this building anger and protesting in the streets gets rabidly intense. Scare those assholes a little (within the law, of course). Maybe a few centrist Pigs will switch to our side and we can gain enough votes to block the whole thing. Because not only is it Unconstitutional, but it’s intent is PUNITIVE and mean-spirited (rape and incest not excluded). That’s the key right there that will get people to the polls (hope)

Just needs to

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2022 12:29 AM

R41.

“Ladies just STOP SPREADING YOUR LEGS and in short effect, you see Furious, Angry, Frothing at the mouth MEN take to the streets and twist a few arms of these CONservatives.*

*Figuratively Speaking of course*

by Anonymousreply 44June 25, 2022 12:33 AM

Jesus…it’s about time people started angrily protesting!

by Anonymousreply 45June 25, 2022 3:16 AM

Watching MSNBC and people’s heads are exploding and it could because TV Moderators are fomenting it.

Some one got run over.

Just like we predicted. It’s chaos and I’m glad I don’t live in one of those trigger states.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2022 3:21 AM

Here we go folks….told ya! We insist on turning a blind eye to a defunct DEM administration. It’s not just trigger states, but trigger nouns (I.e., say “Sleepy Joe”), that brands one instantly a troll. But we will lie down as the Supremes legislate and re-write decades long precedents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2022 11:28 PM

Welcome to 130 degrees in SoCal, but please refrain from any bad vibes and negative energy.

by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2022 11:31 PM

And it’s only going to get worse with this rogue Supreme Court. Here’s what’s coming next. At least liberal states can anesthetize themselves with legalized marijuana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2022 11:33 PM

Wild conspiracy, but here goes: I think SCOTUS is going for broke because they think one of the justices (Thomas) won't be on the bench (or in the natural world) much longer. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but Roberts (and sometimes Kavanaugh) at least make the appearance of not being purely partisan creatures. But this is just an attempt to ram through all the repig legislation in Mitch McConnell's wildest dreams

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2022 11:35 PM

Republicans are always in bed with the corporations and the Oil Pig$.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2022 11:40 PM

I'll join you in wishful thinking, R50.

When Amy COVID Barrett was shoved onto the court right before the 2020 election there was a post in the Predictions thread that we would only have to deal with her for about two years before some form of corruption is exposed.

About 12 weeks left...

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2022 11:48 PM

Exposed!? They all LIED to Congress on live TV!

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2022 11:53 PM

Since these rogue perjuring Jurists don’t give fuck all about common courtesy and upholding the sanctity of Supreme Court, I hope Ketanji Brown Jackson returns the favor and rips these Pigs a new asshole.

….pardon the harsh language🕊✌️

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2022 11:57 PM

I was watching her swearing in ceremony AND nothing she said under oath would legally prevent her from revealing how those rogue Justices cannot be revealed for their perjury and for pointing out their violation Separation of Church and State. Expose them!

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2022 2:33 AM

Give it up ⬆️ dude

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2022 10:47 AM

Take it 🆙your ass dude.

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2022 12:00 PM

All hail Queen Sonia dropping receipts in her dissent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2022 1:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2022 6:11 PM

Congress could have imposed term limits at any time.

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2022 6:13 PM

"I’m hoping Biden uses his Executive Order privilege to halt the obliteration of Roe v. Wade. Not that he will, but if he can issue an order stalling the implementation of the overturning."

This is just one example of the idiotic posts that we keep seeing on these threads that demonstrate that many here have absolutely no idea what the President can and cannot do. Along with packing SCOTUS with the wave of a hand. I guess people here need to have this constantly drummed into their little heads until maybe they understand how our government is structured.

Getting rid of the filibuster is not going to happen, especially with Sinema and Manchin dead set against it. That would have to be the first step to a). passing a federal law allowing abortion access, b). passing any meaningful climate change legislation, c). adding members to SCOTUS.

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2022 7:19 PM

Just throwing that out here for discussion: what if Biden made a public address about how he opposes the recent SCOTUS rulings, rogue court, etc., but that his hands are largely tied - specifically calling out Sinema and Manchin. He'll set up a task force (led by Hillary!) of fed government options. He'd include the repigs, but they clearly care nothing about women's rights, but I guess we'll ask them...

Meanwhile, the states go on about their business trying criminalize abortions and women are just *enraged* by this, thus energizing turnout to punish the repigs. Yes, I know people say abortion isn't really an issue, it's gas, the economy, etc., but today's women are looking to *gain* rights, not lose them. Meanwhile, Uncle Clarence keeps complaining about how someone put an abortion in his soup (or whatever crazy shit he comes up with), constantly stirring the pot, which you know he loves to do.

Maybe letting the repigs reap the whirlwind & not expecting Uncle Joe to fix this thing is not necessarily a bad thing...just a thought

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2022 7:36 PM

One thing the Democrats could do is put together a federal bill that guarantees the right to an abortion in cases of rape, incest, or if the life of the mother is at stake. Just a first step in the battle just to counteract some state laws, but it's also something that most Americans would support. It would be interesting to see if there weren't at least some Republicans that would get on board with that.

Of course, Progressives will howl that it isn't enough, but they need to start reading the room. All or nothing isn't going to work unless you have a super majority in the Senate, which we don't have.

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2022 7:39 PM

Yes, but SCOTUS is likely to strike down such a law

by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2022 7:46 PM

How long will the people wait for something to happen? The highest court in the land has been openly and brazenly compromised, what will the people do?

by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2022 8:55 PM

If one says something negative about Biden, you get lambasted here on DL and labeled a troll. If one says something bad about Clarence Thomas you get lambasted here as being a racist. I guess the answer is not to say or do anything. This is exactly what we deserve.

Occam’s Razor.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2022 9:15 PM

NATIONAL POLL:

Should Congress pass a law legalizing the right to abortion?

59% yes 42% no

Emerson

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2022 9:43 PM

The question about what Congress can do to reign in this Extreme Court is to CODIFY new rights to be added to the US CONSTITUTION. In simpler terms, Congress needs to pass amendments to the Constitution that the Supreme Court is obliged to uphold (but who knows with this lawless loons seated on Roberts’ court). I put nothing past them because they feel they are the Crusades Redux.

That’s the only way. It’s a tall order since the last amendment attempt was the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA). And that failed miserably back in the 70s - and possibly ushered in a Repuke surge with Reagan(?). The only way to do that is to win having a DEM President and super majorities in both chambers in Congress.

This Rogue Extreme Court is cherry picking cases to be heard by the Court, not for Constitutional clarifications, but to strike down long-held precedents like R v. Wade. Like the EPA. Like destroying voting rights and eroding redistricting and allowing gerrymandering. In addition, the SC is not overhearing cases that. They are throwing all rights back to state jurisdictions to allow radical right wing and Religious institutions to reign supreme.

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2022 9:43 PM

It’s nearly impossible to get a supermajority in Congress

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2022 9:48 PM

True, but we just need 3 more to fuck up Machin and sinenema. That’s all we need, but just as they have Rinos we have our share of closet Dinos, I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 70July 2, 2022 2:31 AM

In addition, we in fact do not even have a DOJ! We have a weak Pres and a MIA Dept of Justice…not to mention vacation Duckface Schumer! We’re fucked by a handful of inside betrayers!

by Anonymousreply 71July 2, 2022 2:34 AM

I wonder if Biden is aware that many of his voters in the Black community believe he hasn’t done much to help them and are planing to sit out in the midterms. I’m betting that a lot of his former supporters secretly hope Biden doesn’t run again in 2024. On some level, poorer Americans couldn’t give a fuck about Ukraine or abortion if they can’t afford to eat and have a roof over their heads.

by Anonymousreply 72July 2, 2022 8:33 AM

Next up for America? THE CATHOLIC INQUISITION Redux.

FUN! FUN! FUN!

by Anonymousreply 73July 2, 2022 10:01 AM

1/ The Nightmare Scenario SCOTUS is Plotting For the 2024 Election Takeover:

[quote] 3/ Here’s how one aspect of it could work out, if they go along with the GOP’s arguments that will be before the Court this October:

[quote] 4/ It’s November, 2024, and the presidential race between Biden and DeSantis has been tabulated by the states and called by the networks. Biden won 84,355,740 votes to DeSantis’ 77,366,412, clearly carrying the popular vote.

[quote] 5/ But the popular vote isn’t enough: George W. Bush lost to Al Gore by a half-million votes and Donald Trump lost to Hillary Clinton by 3 million votes but both ended up in the White House. What matters is the Electoral College vote, and that looks good for Biden, too.

[quote] 6/ As CNN is reporting, the outcome is a virtual clone of the 2020 election: Biden carries the same states he did that year and DeSantis gets all the Trump states.

[quote] 7/ It’s 306 to 232 in the Electoral College, a 74-vote Electoral College lead for Biden, at least as calculated by CNN and the rest of the media. Biden is heading to the White House for another 4 years.

[quote] 8/ Until the announcement comes out of Georgia. Although Biden won the popular vote in Georgia, their legislature decided it can overrule the popular vote and just awarded the state’s 16 electoral votes to DeSantis instead of Biden.

[quote] 9/ An hour later we hear from five other states with Republican-controlled legislatures where Biden won the majority of the vote, just like he had in 2020: North Carolina (15 electoral votes), Wisconsin (10), Michigan (16), Pennsylvania (20) and Arizona (11).

[quote] 10/ Each has followed Georgia’s lead and their legislatures have awarded their Electoral College votes — even though Biden won the popular vote in each state — to DeSantis.

[quote] 11/ Thus, a total of 88 Electoral College votes from those six states move from Biden to DeSantis, who’s declared the winner and will be sworn in on January 20, 2025.

[quote] 12/ Wolf Blitzer announces that DeSantis has won the election, and millions of people pour into the streets to protest. They’re met with a hail of bullets as Republican-affiliated militias have been rehearsing for this exact moment.

[quote] 13/ Just as happened when Pinochet’s militias shot into crowds as he took over Chile, when Mussolini’s volunteer militia the Blackshirts killed civilians as he took over Italy, and Hitler’s Brownshirts did in Germany, their allies among the police and Army refuse to intervene.

[quote] 14/ After a few thousand people lay dead in the streets of two dozen cities, the police begin to round up the surviving “instigators,” who are charged with seditious conspiracy for resisting the Republican legislatures of their states.

[quote] 15/ After he’s sworn in on January 20th, President DeSantis points to the ongoing demonstrations, declares a permanent state of emergency, and suspends future elections, just as Trump had repeatedly told the world he planned for 2020.

[quote] 17/ Six Republicans on the Supreme Court just announced that one of the first cases they’ll decide next year could include whether that very scenario is constitutional or not. And it almost certainly is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 2, 2022 12:41 PM

[quote] 18/ Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution lays out the process clearly, and it doesn’t even once mention the popular vote or the will of the people:

[quote] 19/ “Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress...

[quote] 20/ “The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons … which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate.

[quote] 21/ “The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President…” [quote] 22/ It’s not particularly ambiguous, even as clarified by the 12th Amendment and the Electoral Count Act of 1887.

[quote] 23/ Neither mentions the will of the people, although the Electoral Count Act requires each state’s governor to certify the vote before passing it along to Washington, DC. And half of those states have Democratic governors.

[quote] 25/ “The Supreme Court on Thursday said it will consider what would be a radical change in the way federal elections are conducted, giving state legislatures sole authority…

[quote] 26/ to set the rules for contests even if their actions violated state constitutions and resulted in extreme partisan gerrymandering for congressional seats.”

[quote] 27/ While the main issue being debated in Moore v Harper, scheduled for a hearing this October, is a gerrymander that conflicts with North Carolina’s constitution, the issue at the core of the debate is what’s called the “Independent State Legislature Doctrine.”

[quote] 28/ It literally gives state legislatures the power to pre-rig or simply hand elections to the candidate of their choice.

[quote] 29/ As NPR notes:

[quote] 30/ “The independent state legislature theory was first invoked by three conservative U.S. Supreme Court justices in the celebrated Bush v. Gore case that handed the 2000 election victory to George W. Bush.

[quote] 31/ “In that case, the three cited it to support the selection of a Republican slate of presidential electors.”

[quote] 32/ Those three were Rehnquist, Scalia, and Clarence Thomas, now the seniormost member of the Court. They wrote in their concurring opinion in Bush v Gore:

[quote] 33/ “The federal questions that ultimately emerged in this case are not substantial. Article II provides that “[e]ach State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors.” …

[quote] 34/ “But as we indicated in our remand of the earlier case, in a Presidential election the clearly expressed intent of the legislature must prevail.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 2, 2022 12:42 PM

[quote] 35/ That doctrine — the basis of John Eastman and Donald Trump’s effort to get states to submit multiple slates of electors — asserts that a plain reading of Article II and

[quote] 36/ the 12th Amendment of the Constitution says that each state’s legislature has final say in which candidate gets their states’ Electoral College vote, governors and the will of the voters be damned.

[quote] 37/ The Republicans point out that the Constitution says that it’s up to the states — “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct” — to decide which presidential candidate gets their Electoral College votes.

[quote] 38/ But the Electoral Count Act requires a governor’s sign-off, and half those states have Democratic governors. Which has precedence, the Constitution or the Act?

[quote] 39/ If the Supreme Court says it’s the US Constitution rather than the Electoral Count Act, states’ constitutions, state laws, or the votes of their citizens, the scenario outlined above becomes not just possible but very likely.

[quote] 40/ After all, the Constitution only mentions the states’ legislatures — which are all Republican controlled — so the unwillingness of the Democratic governors of Michigan, North Carolina, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania to sign off on the Electoral College votes becomes moot.

[quote] 41/ Under this circumstance DeSantis becomes president, the third Republican president in the 21st century, and also the third Republican President to have lost the popular vote election yet ended up in the White House.

[quote] 42/ This scenario isn’t just plausible: it’s probable. GOP-controlled states are already changing their state laws to allow for it, and

[quote] 43/ Republican strategists are gaming out which states have Republican legislatures willing to override the votes of their people to win the White House for the Republican candidate.

[quote] 44/ Those state legislators who still embrace Trump and this theory are getting the support of large pools of rightwing billionaires’ dark money.

[quote] 45/ As the highly respected conservative Judge J. Michael Luttig recently wrote:

[quote] 46/ “Trump and the Republicans can only be stopped from stealing the 2024 election at this point if the Supreme Court rejects the independent state legislature doctrine …

[quote] 47/ “and Congress amends the Electoral Count Act to constrain Congress' own power to reject state electoral votes and decide the presidency.”

[quote] 48/ I take no satisfaction in having accurately predicted — in March of 2020 — how Trump and his buddies would try to steal the election in January of 2021. Or how the Supreme Court would blow up the Environmental Protection Agency.

[quote] 49/ Trump’s January 6th effort failed because every contested state had laws on the books requiring all of their Electoral College votes to go to whichever candidate won the popular vote in the state.

[quote] 50/ That will not be the case in 2024. As we are watching, the Supreme Court — in collaboration with state legislatures through activists like Ginny Thomas — are setting that election up right now in front of us in real time.

[quote] 51/ We damn well better be planning for this, because it’s likely coming our way in just a bit more than two short years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 2, 2022 12:44 PM

Since they are strict constitutionalists, where in the constitution does it say anything about the environment?

by Anonymousreply 77July 2, 2022 12:46 PM

r36 It sounds like America is becoming ungovernable.

by Anonymousreply 78July 2, 2022 12:54 PM

No where in the Constitution is a mention of AR-15s - by Thomas’ strict interpretation. Also, a ‘bullet” was not even in existence when the Constitution was written by our forefathers. They only had muskets, not assault rifles! So get the hell out of here with that BS! If you want to storm the Capitol with muskets, please go right ahead.

by Anonymousreply 79July 2, 2022 1:28 PM

R75. R76. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 80July 2, 2022 1:59 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 2, 2022 2:40 PM

Yeah, and liberals will act shocked but do nothing

by Anonymousreply 82July 2, 2022 2:56 PM

For the sake of my own sanity, I try to look at it this way: you never know what life is going to bring. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that were it not for COVID, Trump would've cruised to re-election. But COVID did happen & turned the world on it's ass...and well, you know how that went.

While not particularly old, none of the 6 right wing judges (except for Aunt Lydia, who will live forever, of course) are young men. Thomas has had numerous health issues (aside from just being a toxic creep), Kavanaugh likely has a drinking problem and Roberts is likely under a huge amount of stress. No one lives forever.

Where possible, dems need to work to counteract SCOTUS. But I don't think going down a well of despair is helpful or productive. We may be one reversal of fortune away from change...

by Anonymousreply 83July 3, 2022 8:26 PM

The Extreme Court is not done yet….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 4, 2022 1:38 AM

^^This potential ruling is a clear violation to the right to privacy guaranteed in the Constitution, but this may be just another step this Court will take to destroy and nullify the US Constitution….

And they (5 criminal/perjuring justices) don’t give a damn.

by Anonymousreply 85July 4, 2022 1:44 AM

Something like that should break this country apart. Advanced, Western countries DO NOT do things like that. That would be based entirely on religious grounds and quite a few of us don’t want to live under radical Catholic rule.

by Anonymousreply 86July 4, 2022 1:46 AM

I’m hoping that the protestors at the justices homes continue until October, when The Extremes reconvene to the Supreme Court! I bet they are miserable captives in their own homes - and they deserve every minute of personal suffering! It’s the least form of payback they can endure for all the pain and suffering (and pregnant women’s deaths) that they have imposed on American citizens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 4, 2022 2:08 AM

Here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 4, 2022 2:11 AM

I have mixed feelings about this; I disagree with protestors outside of SCOTUS homes as that's a MAGA tactic to scare & harass people they don't like.

On the other hand, the thought of Uncle Clarence & Big Ginni feeling under siege, prisoners in their own home and not treated as the royalty they consider to be makes me laugh. Likewise, you know Brett is roaming around the house like a caged animal, raging about the indignity & unfairness of it all, all while belting down one glass of scotch after another. Reap the whirlwind indeed, Brett!

by Anonymousreply 89July 4, 2022 10:42 AM

Bleeding heart liberals feel conflicted now. How quaint.

by Anonymousreply 90July 4, 2022 11:09 AM

These justices deserve all the misery that can be bestowed upon them. I have no problem with protesters gathering in front of their homes 24/7, if possible. They want to make our lives miserable....so let's return the favor. Fuck them...and no feelings of conflict there. It's a war now.

by Anonymousreply 91July 4, 2022 11:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 4, 2022 12:15 PM

...And my favorite President is donald trump R92...

by Anonymousreply 93July 4, 2022 12:18 PM

WTF?

These MAGAT trolls are a new species of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 94July 4, 2022 1:10 PM

Merrick Garfinkle Garland is letting Liz Cheney dictate dibs on criminal indictments. Even then, Garland is a neutered US Attorney General. What a traitor he is to our democracy. He’s more responsible then Dump is in America’s downfall. An utter disgrace of a man! I’m glad he is not a Supreme because he’d be felating the likes of Thomas, Kavanaugh and Alito….simultaneously!

by Anonymousreply 95July 4, 2022 1:25 PM

The SC has always legislated from the bench. Sometimes you bitchez agree with the legislation and sometimes you don't.

by Anonymousreply 96July 4, 2022 1:40 PM

^^^TROLL^^^

BLOCKED!

BLOCK PARTY!

by Anonymousreply 97July 4, 2022 1:42 PM

More than half the thread is R97 and they can't tolerate even a slight disagreement. Not a healthy attitude.

They can't respond because they've blocked me. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 98July 4, 2022 1:46 PM

Anyone who thinks that Gen Z is going to turn any of this around is an idiot. They are extremists who won’t vote unless the candidate passes a test. They are extremely conservative, more so than previous generations. Gen Z outside of California and New York are not all liberals.

by Anonymousreply 99July 4, 2022 1:56 PM

R98. R99.

You are already blocked! Stop talking to yourself!

BLOCK PARTY!

by Anonymousreply 100July 4, 2022 2:31 PM

Heres an interesting series of articles of what can be done to stop the EXTREME COURT. But we know yhis administration doesnt have it them. However, for future reference, there are things we can do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 7, 2022 3:54 AM

The problem is progressives think we can undo the neglect of decades within days. It doesn’t work that way

by Anonymousreply 102July 7, 2022 12:58 PM

The problem with progressives is believing the likes of tired Biden and Federalist Garland will do a goddamn thing to help them!!!

by Anonymousreply 103July 7, 2022 2:32 PM

Hate to break it to you R103, but your precious Bernie would be no more able to magically fix all this than Biden is. Sanders might bellow more about it, but the President doesn't make laws.

by Anonymousreply 104July 7, 2022 6:09 PM

The far left practices magic thinking in politics, which only leads to defeat

by Anonymousreply 105July 7, 2022 8:05 PM

Why are you making it about the far left? We are discussing this EXTREME Supreme Court that is throwing out Stare Decisis and you believe it boils down to the far left and Bernie? There are so many reasons yhat Dump became President - and Bernie is not one of them. He lost to Hills in the primary and had nothing to do with anything after that point.

by Anonymousreply 106July 8, 2022 1:34 AM

Everybody in blue states that was like "phew, at least I'll be okay here on Abortion Island" after Roe was overturned: tomorrow a federal district court is hearing arguments re: an Arizona law that if upheld would establish all fertilized embryos as "persons."

by Anonymousreply 107July 8, 2022 1:41 AM

And so…? Are they going to capture women and force in vitro fertilization? A lot of couples want children and they use in vitro to do it. Are they going to outlaw this too? Crazy…you people cant think straight anymore.

by Anonymousreply 108July 8, 2022 1:56 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 109July 8, 2022 11:38 AM

Here’s Biden’s “forceful’” response.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 9, 2022 2:48 PM

Another poster in another thread asked: I wonder if we’ll ever find out if SC Justice Anthony Kennedy was “encouraged” to retire in order to save his son, Justin Kennedy (who worked for Deutsche Bank) from any connection to the German banks huge loans to the Trump Organization?

This goes toward how we ended up with this EXTREME COURT’s stripping of our rights.

Here are some links to the answer….

by Anonymousreply 111July 11, 2022 8:56 AM

Link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 11, 2022 8:58 AM

Here you go…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 11, 2022 8:59 AM

The Kennedy-Trump-Deutsche bank connection was supposed to be investigated so that the public could have been informed. However, it was Dump’s crooked DOJ that was responsible for the follow-up, so of course that never happened. Then the Mueller investigation was intended to investigate if any of Dump’s financial ties to Russia was true, but of course that Report was never brought to the light of day thanks to Bill Barr’s DOJ.

SO, end final result: The public were never informed of the truth in BOTH instances of possible transgressions. Massive cover-ups ensued and now we have Gorsuch and Kavanaugh on the Extreme Court, and as foretold, our Constitutional Rights are being reversed.

And we wonder why the streets of America is awash in carnage.

by Anonymousreply 114July 11, 2022 9:00 AM

So now, these CONS have done away with the guarantee that ALL WOMEN IN THE USA have a protected right to abortion. It will be based on which state you live in. Next, we will lose our Equal Protection clause and gay people will lose their rights based on where they live. All women will not have access to birth control, based on where they live. Not every American will have equal access to vote at the polls due to each individual state’s defined voting laws. If this is the case, then we should NOT have to pay any Federal taxation. Each state will determine how it will finance their own individual state! Therefore…

WE ARE NO LONGER THE UNITED STATES. PERIOD.

by Anonymousreply 115July 11, 2022 9:11 AM

The Supreme Court ruling on funding private religious schools, is truly troubling. This country really is in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 116July 11, 2022 9:14 AM

Well, we can start Jewish private schools, Jehovah’s Witness, Baphomet’s Nunneries. The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 117July 11, 2022 9:18 AM

Also, no war can be declared on any entity unless every state agrees to declare war.

by Anonymousreply 118July 11, 2022 9:21 AM

I resent my tax dollars going to schools that teach that earth is 5000 years old and that Satan tried to trick us by planting fake dinosaur bones in the ground.

by Anonymousreply 119July 11, 2022 10:07 PM

Your resentment is noted, yet inconsequential. Elections have consequences

by Anonymousreply 120July 12, 2022 11:13 AM

WTF?

It’s like we have Puke snipers here. Yes, Biden fucking, clearly and irrefutably won the election!

Move the fuck on already! What are you Pukes going to do when Dump goes down the tubes? Are you going to nominate his ghost? Dump will annihilate DeSatan if he can live long enough to do it! You Pukes are hopeless! And Biden will advocate for his successor to win!

by Anonymousreply 121July 12, 2022 11:58 AM

they have been legislating for ages.

i'm surprised people weren't aware before.

by Anonymousreply 122July 12, 2022 12:02 PM

Please don’t buy the anti-Democratic propaganda being spread on this forum.

This is why we need to vote for Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 123July 12, 2022 12:12 PM

They have not tried to eliminate stare decisis before. Nor have other nominees perjured and lied or misled people under oath during their confirmation hearings. Get it right. THEY FUCKING MISLED and/or were purposely stated slipperily ambiguous wordings in their answers.

This is how we have a fucked up our judicial system where no one can strictly “define” what a commonly used word(s) mean! Its what makes the legal system and lawyers rich! Where they can manipulate such straightforward statements into word salads: i.e. Define what ‘female/male is?”

by Anonymousreply 124July 12, 2022 12:14 PM

Stare decisis is a made up thing that applies until it doesn't. And when it applies and when it doesn't is subject to made up rules too.

Thus, we don't follow Plessy simply because it was relied on for decades.

Law is not physics, and only idiots treat it as a thing that stays the same forever.

by Anonymousreply 125July 12, 2022 3:35 PM

You fucked up shill! It was these CON SC nominated justices that argued in their staunch favor of Stare Decisis when directly asked whether they would overturn Roe. It was their chosen deflection in order to allow them to DECEIVE and MISLEAD the public that they would NEVER overturn Roe. GFYS!

by Anonymousreply 126July 13, 2022 12:24 PM

Thought I’d dredge up this post for the Extreme Court’s latest effort to fuck us over and destroy any free and fair elections in our democracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 5, 2022 7:56 AM

Another link:

Just another example of the Usual Suspects of these Extremes again. They were appointed by a criminal US President for the sole purpose of installing an authoritarian Theocracy. We need to fight this NOW in public debate forums because these perjuring criminals will hand down their heretical ruling in OCTOBER 2022 - Justine month before the 2022 elections so it WILL be put into effect for the mid-terms that we must win!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 5, 2022 8:04 AM

SAMUEL ALITO. 🤬. BRETT KAVANAUGH. 😡. CLARENCE THOMAS 😱. NEIL GORSUCH. 😤.

Do these names ring a bell? Yes, they are all lying under oath perjurers who would be indicted, convicted and sent to jail if any of us pulled such a brazen nationally televised crime.

“No one is above the law” - Merrick Garland.

by Anonymousreply 129August 5, 2022 8:11 AM

Here we go people. The Extremes are going to screw us over again. I tried to warn you all earlier, but this case will be heard by the Extreme Court in order to seal the deal of RePigs eradicating our democracy and that Barrett needs to be removed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 11, 2022 4:02 AM

I warned you trash cunts in 2016. But you thought I was just too frosty to be in that job.

You bring your own destruction on yourselves. You fat, brainless, sacks of shit.

by Anonymousreply 131September 11, 2022 4:14 AM

Tee hee!^^

by Anonymousreply 132September 11, 2022 4:18 AM

I absolutely treasure how Al Franken tells off this Repuke religious nut.

Finally, a Dem that can tell it like it really is. Why is it so hard for Dems to simply point out facts!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 12, 2022 5:26 AM

Well….Here it is bitches! I tried to warn you 6+months ago. It’s going to be crashing down on all if us even something worse that Hurricane Ian. AALLLLL of these amendments are going to be rendered useless. Don’t think these Extemes have learned anything. They have not! And now they’ll be sure to bring it all down like Jenna because the truth of their decades-long plotting has already been revealed. They’ll get it all done and let the paralyzed speechless and maybe then we’ll have a RePig Congress and President.

Aloha Oe to our democracy. Garland will still be beginning Judge Cannon to give him a break - even if it is the law. WTF care now?

by Anonymousreply 134October 3, 2022 10:02 AM

Thank you all the holier-than-thou non-voters of 2016 who thought they knew better than holding their noses and voting for Hillary.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 135October 3, 2022 10:08 AM

More FUN sure to come….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 3, 2022 3:22 PM

Every decision they’re likely to twist themselves into pretzels to make sure human rights are stripped, religion privileged and most of all the interests corporations and the ultra-wealthy prevail. It’s going to be a nasty future for normal people.

by Anonymousreply 137October 4, 2022 6:33 AM

B-b-b-but no one cares right? Then couldn’t be so bad then….

by Anonymousreply 138October 4, 2022 11:51 AM

[quote] religion privileged

But only certain religions.

by Anonymousreply 139October 4, 2022 12:06 PM

John Roberts needs to be impeached

by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2022 2:22 AM

r13 Both parties are complicit in destroying our representative government. Oligarchs run our country because they own the political process and the elected politicians. It's all corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2022 2:45 AM

Turning back time to before the 60's happened.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2022 2:48 AM

We need campaign finance reform.

Vote blue all down ticket. Do it!

by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2022 6:34 AM

R143, no party is going to do that.

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2022 6:37 AM

Reverse Citizen United and codify campaign so no foreign country can accept funding. Impeachment if proven. We can very well do that. Codify that too.

Expand SCOTUS to 9 judges because we now have 13 federal circuit courts, not 9 as before. That would not be breaking any precedent.

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2022 6:49 AM

The Extreme Court is a circus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 19, 2022 10:33 PM

Alito is a politician in a robe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147November 19, 2022 10:37 PM

Democrats need to wise up and handle climate change differently. I started doing this with my repug family members. When they say global warming is fake, etc, etc, I tell them that they're right and "even if we're wrong, who cares if they have clean water or air? Who cares if it's 100 degrees everyday and they can't grow any food? We'll be dead let whoever is alive worry about it then"

They get so pissed off because, when you say it that way, they realize their kids and/or grandkids will be alive then. And then they care.

Normal people know this. But republicans are stupid. They're like children. They think nothing will affect them. Sometimes you have to use reverse psychology on them (children and republicans).

I want all of you to try this during Thanksgiving with your relatives and see how mad they get at you.

by Anonymousreply 148November 19, 2022 11:27 PM

The Extreme Supreme Court is completely illegitimate and corrupt to the core. They are blatantly being bribed by far-right groups. The dirt is just oozing out.

Alito was bribed in the 2014 Hobby Lobby decision in favor of Christian beliefs. The whole undermining of separation of church and state was long underway. Alito needs to step down!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 22, 2022 2:27 AM

[QUOTE]The Supreme Court is successfully legislating from the Bench

That's what they did when they allowed abortion and gay marriage.

So you only disapprove of the practice when it's an issue you don't agree with?

by Anonymousreply 150November 22, 2022 2:33 AM

Excuse me, but it was Congress that passed legislation to make abortion and gay marriage legal.

Why are MAGAts so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 151November 22, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote]The Extreme Supreme Court is completely illegitimate and corrupt to the core. They are blatantly being bribed by far-right groups. The dirt is just oozing out.

The democrats won't do a thing about it. I don't there's any law prohibiting them from making rules for the justices. The democrats need to finally wise up. Just there isn't a law for something, doesn't mean a new law can be created.

by Anonymousreply 152November 22, 2022 3:37 AM

That’s what Congress is there to do. It’s their job to create new laws and establish oversight. Instead, the SCOTUS is doing their own version of legislating. It’s reversed now, thus the title of this thread. The SCOTUS job is to insure that legislation does not conflict with the Constitution. Abortion and reproductive rights has been legal since 1973. The law in no way violates our Constitutional rights. Blocking access to healthcare choices IS a violation of our rights. Not to mention separation of church and state.

This Court is a farce in so many ways.

by Anonymousreply 153November 22, 2022 4:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!